PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Teams vs. FBS

Bison101
02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I decided to see who, so far, has scheduled games with FBS opponents in our conference. Here's a list.

Indiana State
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan

Illinois State
Marshall

Missouri State
Oklahoma State

SDSU
Iowa State

WIU
Arkansas

Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Youngstown State did not have their 2008 schedule listed.

X-Factor
02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
UNI is playing BYU

Swaghook
02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
YSU plays Ohio State

SDbison
02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Sounds like most of the Gateway is scheduling an FBS team in 2008. Those teams must be strong and not fear the multitude of injuries and major letdown after playing such fearce opponents! NDSU is meek and mild and must not approach FBS teams because they are devastating to the players morale and the might take away the remote chance of a Gateway title / playoff appearance. And remember, Craig and Gene must avoid playing FBS teams because NDSU doesn't want all the attention, national exposure and half a million dollar payday. Better to watch SDSU keep building their program and have annual games against regional FBS teams. What would people think if NDSU keeps doing so well against FBS teams........might have to consider dropping back to DII so everyone can re-live the glory days.

Hambone
02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Sounds like most of the Gateway is scheduling an FBS team in 2008. Those teams must be strong and not fear the multitude of injuries and major letdown after playing such fearce opponents! NDSU is meek and mild and must not approach FBS teams because they are devastating to the players morale and the might take away the remote chance of a Gateway title / playoff appearance. And remember, Craig and Gene must avoid playing FBS teams because NDSU doesn't want all the attention, national exposure and half a million dollar payday. Better to watch SDSU keep building their program and have annual games against regional FBS teams. What would people think if NDSU keeps doing so well against FBS teams........might have to consider dropping back to DII so everyone can re-live the glory days.

My sarcasm detector was going nuts while reading that one.... :)

NDSUstudent
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Does it matter what people on this board think or say? Gene is and has been trying to get an FBS game. He also has Iowa State locked up for two games and is working with Minnesota for a game in 2010 or 2011.

lakesbison
02-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Get One This Year

I Have A List... Get It Done!! Argh!!!

tjbison
02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Does it matter what people on this board think or say? Gene is and has been trying to get an FBS game. He also has Iowa State locked up for two games and is working with Minnesota for a game in 2010 or 2011.

Don't forget he contacted the Badgers also, just didn't pan out!:mad:

56BISON73
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM

SD
Even though your post was dripping with sacasm:D I have to agree with you. Teams are judged on how they play against other teams. I could never understand and Iam sure other players and fans also couldnt figure out why NDSU wasnt playing better competition. Back in the 70s and Iam sure all of the championship teams felt that they could match up well with alot of the bigger schools. You as a former player realize that the players want to play the best and they arent intimidated by supposed better competition. Thats what makes you BETTER.
I think many are worried about a playoff run that may or might not happen. By chance NDSU loses to a bigger more talented team it will not have any effect on the playoffs IMO. Look at some of the team reacords that were in the playoffs this year. I believe there were a few 3 loss teams. Maybe even 4 but I could be wrong on that one.
Playing a big school on a big stage in invaluable in recruiting. You cant pay for advertising like that. Plus the payday is pretty good.
Injuries can happen at anytime. Even in practice so thats a non issue to me.
If the Bison are good enough the playoffs will take care of itself.. PL

tjbison
02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
SD
Even though your post was dripping with sacasm:D I have to agree with you. Teams are judged on how they play against other teams. I could never understand and Iam sure other players and fans also couldnt figure out why NDSU wasnt playing better competition. Back in the 70s and Iam sure all of the championship teams felt that they could match up well with alot of the bigger schools. You as a former player realize that the players want to play the best and they arent intimidated by supposed better competition. Thats what makes you BETTER.
I think many are worried about a playoff run that may or might not happen. By chance NDSU loses to a bigger more talented team it will not have any effect on the playoffs IMO. Look at some of the team reacords that were in the playoffs this year. I believe there were a few 3 loss teams. Maybe even 4 but I could be wrong on that one.
Playing a big school on a big stage in invaluable in recruiting. You cant pay for advertising like that. Plus the payday is pretty good.

Without the Minnesota and CMU game, i think some of those Michigan recruits would be staying home, so i couldn't agree more!!

HerdBot
02-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I decided to see who, so far, has scheduled games with FBS opponents in our conference. Here's a list.

Indiana State
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan

Illinois State
Marshall

Missouri State
Oklahoma State

SDSU
Iowa State

WIU
Arkansas

Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Youngstown State did not have their 2008 schedule listed.

Marshall would be a cool game! We've played 4 - FBS teams over the last 2 years, gone 3-1 and should have been 4-0, and we have Iowa State on the schedule next year so I'm cool with not playing one this year. Any chance of getting ANOTHER home game instead? Can't be much out there.

NDSUstudent
02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Marshall would be a cool game! We've played 4 - FBS teams over the last 2 years, gone 3-1 and should have been 4-0, and we have Iowa State on the schedule next year so I'm cool with not playing one this year. Any chance of getting ANOTHER home game instead? Can't be much out there.

I've heard some rumors about a home game with Cal Poly.

BlueBisonRock
02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I've heard some rumors about a home game with Cal Poly.

My not have the visibility of the FBS, but it would be one hell of a game. Personally, I would give up the FBS game if Cal Poly could be scheduled.

Gully
02-03-2008, 08:19 PM
My not have the visibility of the FBS, but it would be one hell of a game. Personally, I would give up the FBS game if Cal Poly could be scheduled.

Cal Poly is asking to play us so it'll most likely happen unless we can land a FBS game that isn't too hard (like LSU). It would have to be a lower to mid big 10 or big 12 type team, I think.

At this point, my money is on Cal Poly for a 7th home game.

Bison101
02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
UNI is playing BYU

Do you have any proof? I just checked both websites, and it didn't show a game between the two.:confused:

HerdBot
02-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Yeah I would rather play Poly at home instead of going on the road vs. a BCS school. Poly and NDSU have a good rivalry. Good entertaining game for us fans. Problem is we would have to go back to Poly next year and we already owe Sam Houston a game. Do we want th extra road game next year?

Bisonguy
02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah I would rather play Poly at home instead of going on the road vs. a BCS school. Poly and NDSU have a good rivalry. Good entertaining game for us fans. Problem is we would have to go back to Poly next year and we already owe Sam Houston a game. Do we want th extra road game next year?

Why would the return game have to be in 2009? The SHSU and GSU home/homes were not set up for consecutive years.

SDbison
02-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Don't forget he contacted the Badgers also, just didn't pan out!:mad:
Too little too late. Seems SDSU had no problem setting up some games with Nebraska and Illinois for a few years from now. Gene has to quit waiting until 6 or 8 months before the season to make arrangements. So what, NDSU has Iowa State in 2009 and 2014. The only other possibility we have heard of is another Minnesota game in 2010 or later. DI schedules are done 2,3 and 4 years ahead. The Wisconsin game is out for this year. How about at least getting one set up with the Badgers for 2010 or 2011.

tjbison
02-04-2008, 03:03 AM
Too little too late. Seems SDSU had no problem setting up some games with Nebraska and Illinois for a few years from now. Gene has to quit waiting until 6 or 8 months before the season to make arrangements. So what, NDSU has Iowa State in 2009 and 2014. The only other possibility we have heard of is another Minnesota game in 2010 or later. DI schedules are done 2,3 and 4 years ahead. The Wisconsin game is out for this year. How about at least getting one set up with the Badgers for 2010 or 2011.

I guess I am happy with the Schedule so far, I would love to see an FBS team from the B10, B12, but also with a Possible 7 home games and the already brutal Conference Schedule i'm not getting my panties in a bunch if Gene cannot find the right FBS game this year, but if he does thats great too. LETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND RUN FOR CHATTY!!! GO BISON!!

SDbison
02-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Maybe you would give up a game against FBS or 2008, but hopefully Gene is still interested in setting one up and probably 90% of Bison fans want an FBS game. What is all this crap about another home game? OK I know everyone that lives within 20 miles of Fargo can get there easy, but you have start thinking of the bigger picture. Playing against bigger teams on the road has so much upside. The confidence booster if the Bison play well, the exposure to potential recruits, national recognition, a chance for Bison fans across the country to see a game, and the big payday. I am
going to say it again, some of you are still living back in DII. Start thinking a little bigger!

tjbison
02-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Maybe you would give up a game against FBS or 2008, but hopefully Gene is still interested in setting one up and probably 90% of Bison fans want an FBS game. What is all this crap about another home game? OK I know everyone that lives within 20 miles of Fargo can get there easy, but you have start thinking of the bigger picture. Playing against bigger teams on the road has so much upside. The confidence booster if the Bison play well, the exposure to potential recruits, national recognition, a chance for Bison fans across the country to see a game, and the big payday. I am
going to say it again, some of you are still living back in DII. Start thinking a little bigger!

What is wrong with getting another home game against a quality FCS team over playing some bottom of the barrel FBS team that if we have a bad game and get blown out it hurts more than it helps. Like i've stated before I would love to see and FBS game, I would also like to see gene get a home/home with Appy, Maine or any other power team before going to LSU and taking a pounding (sorry too say it but LSU is a totally diffeent world than CMU Ball State and the goophers)

SDbison
02-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I guess I am happy with the Schedule so far, I would love to see an FBS team from the B10, B12, but also with a Possible 7 home games and the already brutal Conference Schedule i'm not getting my panties in a bunch if Gene cannot find the right FBS game this year, but if he does thats great too. LETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND RUN FOR CHATTY!!! GO BISON!!
Not sure I wanted to know you wear panties, but all this talk of fans getting beat up by a tough schedule troubles me. What is so magic about 7 home games.......it didn't help Montana get to Chatty did it. According to you guys the Bison are going to get beat up so bad by the top 4 teams in the Gateway they will be lucky to win one game all season. To make it clear I am disappointed with Gene's efforts to secure anyone but Iowa State in the next 7 years. We took the lead getting Minnesota for 2 years(although the game in 2006 they came begging), but recently SDSU has done a much better job. In 2008 nearly all of the Gateway will have a FBS game. Appy had one in 2007 (just a little team called Michigan) and still won the national title. Competition makes a team better. Bring on the competion. I want to see a good FBS team in 2008, if not go for an excellent team like LSU. LSU game beats a home game against Cal Poly any day.

tjbison
02-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Not sure I wanted to know you wear panties, but all this talk of fans getting beat up by a tough schedule troubles me. What is so magic about 7 home games.......it didn't help Montana get to Chatty did it. According to you guys the Bison are going to get beat up so bad by the top 4 teams in the Gateway they will be lucky to win one game all season. To make it clear I am disappointed with Gene's efforts to secure anyone but Iowa State in the next 7 years. We took the lead getting Minnesota for 2 years(although the game in 2006 they came begging), but recently SDSU has done a much better job. In 2008 nearly all of the Gateway will have a FBS game. Appy had one in 2007 (just a little team called Michigan) and still won the national title. Competition makes a team better. Bring on the competion. I want to see a good FBS team in 2008, if not go for an excellent team like LSU. LSU game beats a home game against Cal Poly any day.

Are you so sure that its all Gene's fault?? I'm sure there isn't a possibilty at all that after last year with Appy beating that little team called Michigan, and NDSU Pounding CMU the conference Champs, and beating a Big ten team that some AD's are a little reluctant to put us on their Schedules?? Remember SDSU doesn't quite have the FBS record that NDSU has!

SDbison
02-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Are you so sure that its all Gene's fault?? I'm sure there isn't a possibilty at all that after last year with Appy beating that little team called Michigan, and NDSU Pounding CMU the conference Champs, and beating a Big ten team that some AD's are a little reluctant to put us on their Schedules?? Remember SDSU doesn't quite have the FBS record that NDSU has!
Not sure its all Gene's fault, but I will still blame him if NDSU does not get a good FBS game in 2008........sorry that is one of the responsibilities of his job. Football is king at NDSU and there is no reason the Bison shouldn't be playing an FBS team in 2008 just like the rest of the Gateway teams. So if the good FBS teams fear NDSU then it is time to move to scheduling the very good and excellent teams (I think I already stated this in another thread). BTW, not sure if Cal Poly, or any other good FCS team is available, or would want to come to Fargo in 2008. It is getting late. To schedule a patsie would really suck. Even scheduling one of the lower FBS teams away would suck. This is what happens when scheduling takes so long to finalize.

BlueBisonRock
02-04-2008, 06:06 AM

Well SD, I live six hours, not 20 miles from Fargo. It would be a lot closer for me to go to Madison and the just a bit quicker to go to Chicago (No, I have not heard rumors about Northwestern).

Before you get your tidy whiteys in a knot, consider:
*What FBS teams have an opening on the same September weekend that the Bison have open? You have taken Gene to task by stating that the opportunity to schedule and FBS has closed.
*Revenue from a Home SELLOUT will run at least 350k (20*19,000=380,000). This ain't chump change and may just be the payout for an FBS game. Your sig line touts the value of a home sellout.
*CalPoly is a quality opponent not a cupcake. There will be a meaningful football game played. Again, you have railed about the need to play tough teams. In my humble opinion, one will not find many tougher teams outside of the Gateway.
* There appears to be an opportunity for a long term rivalry with a class school committed to a quality football program in a prime recruiting state.

My simple conclusion: If there is an opportunity for an FBS team, take it. If not, a game with Cal Poly would be great.

X-Factor
02-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't think we should play an FBS team this year because all of our QBs suck and can't possibly be as good as Walker. No way we could win with a shitty QB.

;)

BearsCountry
02-04-2008, 07:19 AM
SIU is playing Northwestern.
UNI is playing BYU.
Youngstown St is playing Ohio State.

BisonNeil
02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
SD

Whether or not NDSU is DII or DIAA, the Bison have always had problems scheduling the best of whatever division we are in. Why do you think Montana wouldn't do a home-home? Why do you think Montana St backed out? Why do you think Geo Southern is making excuses to come here and play after we put the hurt bag on them? It was no different in DII. NOBODY wants to come to Fargo and limp home, and with the success we have had against mid-level FBS, we will have trouble with get a game with them as well.

SDbison
02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think we should play an FBS team this year because all of our QBs suck and can't possibly be as good as Walker. No way we could win with a shitty QB.

;)
You might have a point there X.

SDbison
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Whether or not NDSU is DII or DIAA, the Bison have always had problems scheduling the best of whatever division we are in. Why do you think Montana wouldn't do a home-home? Why do you think Montana St backed out? Why do you think Geo Southern is making excuses to come here and play after we put the hurt bag on them? It was no different in DII. NOBODY wants to come to Fargo and limp home, and with the success we have had against mid-level FBS, we will have trouble with get a game with them as well.
So now it looks like we have to schedule higher level FBS teams.

TransAmBison
02-04-2008, 05:58 PM
90% huh? I'd hate to know where that probable statistic got pulled out of! :D I would bet that the majority of fans would rather have a good home game (Yes, Cal Poly would be a good, no, great home game) than an away FBS game. People in general want to go to Bison games. More could and would go to a home game...excluding the Gophers since they are so close. After 2008 I will be more in favor of a FBS game, but I really think our first week in the Gateway will be tough enough as it is. I could see if we were in talks with a lowly Mississippi Valley State or something, but this is Cal Poly! Did you forget about our last game against them? It wasn't too bad. They put up a little fight for a while. :) Somehow I'm guessing you will never be happy with the schedule until we go FBS. Am I correct?

aces1180
02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
90% huh? I'd hate to know where that probable statistic got pulled out of! :D I would bet that the majority of fans would rather have a good home game (Yes, Cal Poly would be a good, no, great home game) than an away FBS game. People in general want to go to Bison games. More could and would go to a home game...excluding the Gophers since they are so close. After 2008 I will be more in favor of a FBS game, but I really think our first week in the Gateway will be tough enough as it is. I could see if we were in talks with a lowly Mississippi Valley State or something, but this is Cal Poly! Did you forget about our last game against them? It wasn't too bad. They put up a little fight for a while. :) Somehow I'm guessing you will never be happy with the schedule until we go FBS. Am I correct?

Not to pile on SDbison, but I agree with TransAm...Home games are wonderful and the more, the better in my opinion. Yes, FBS games are great too, but I don't know why we can't take a year off...We have ISU in '09 and I assume we will get the Gophers back in 2010.

Tatanka
02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Not to pile on SDbison, but I agree with TransAm...Home games are wonderful and the more, the better in my opinion. Yes, FBS games are great too, but I don't know why we can't take a year off...We have ISU in '09 and I assume we will get the Gophers back in 2010.
++

And I'm not thinking of just 7 home games--I'm hoping for 8, 9, or 10!!! ;) :nod:

X-Factor
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you have any proof? I just checked both websites, and it didn't show a game between the two.:confused:

It was on AGS a while ago. The threads can be dug up on the FCS discussion forum over at AGS.

lakesbison
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
SDBISON IS RIGHT.

WE NEED A FBS!!

I dont wanna win the NATL TITLE and have people say we played a cupcake schedule and NOT a FBS like the other top FCS teams.

D U H !!

SDbison
02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
How many top third FCS teams are still available to play during NDSU's open dates and how many would be willing to travel? Very few if any. All this talk about Cal Poly is purely that......talk amongst fans.....do we even have common dates? Regardless, an FBS game is more exciting than an FCS game. For proof just look at the Gopher game last year. Has NDSU ever turned 10,000 fans away from the Fargodome? I never said a game against Cal Poly isn't a good game.....just not as good as an FBS game. I will give you 90% might be high, but I would be willing to bet more than 50% of Bison fans everywhere would like to see an FBS game first. Remember, many of those fans at the Metrodome were from Minneapolis area and they don't regularly come to games in Fargo.
And if you want to settle this like a man lets get the beer bong out and see who the last man standing is..............:D

TransAmBison
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
How many top third FCS teams are still available to play during NDSU's open dates and how many would be willing to travel? Very few if any. All this talk about Cal Poly is purely that......talk amongst fans.....do we even have common dates? Regardless, an FBS game is more exciting than an FCS game. For proof just look at the Gopher game last year. Has NDSU ever turned 10,000 fans away from the Fargodome? I never said a game against Cal Poly isn't a good game.....just not as good as an FBS game. I will give you 90% might be high, but I would be willing to bet more than 50% of Bison fans everywhere would like to see an FBS game first. Remember, many of those fans at the Metrodome were from Minneapolis area and they don't regularly come to games in Fargo.
And if you want to settle this like a man lets get the beer bong out and see who the last man standing is..............:D
You had me at beer bong...actually now it is beer boot...pictures to follow!

Seriously, I still think over 50% would prefer a good home game. Now, the overwhelming majority would be for another Gophers game I am sure, but that does not trickle down to any/all FBS games. A gophers game was easily attended to most Bison fans from here, around ND, and twin cities area. How many were at Central Michican? 10,000? No? How about the year before at Ball State? 5000? No? Hmmm...I'm still thinking besides a Gophers game, a home game rules in the vast majority of Bison fans hearts.

aces1180
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Beer bong...How I have missed you my friend...Nothing better than a contraption which makes a man fight his best friends and make out with fugly women. ;)

tcbison
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Obviously, it depends on who the FBS team would be. If it is Wisconsin, people would be much more interested in that game than Cal Poly. You have to keep in mind all Bison fans do not live in Fargo. There are a lot of alumni around the country.

I would love to see a FBS game against a Big Ten or Big 12 school. I think it is great for recruiting and promoting NDSU. If we go for another home game, it better be a team like Cal Poly. At this point I would just like to have the schedule finished for this year and next year as well.

UTH
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
SDBISON IS RIGHT.

WE NEED A FBS!!

I dont wanna win the NATL TITLE and have people say we played a cupcake schedule and NOT a FBS like the other top FCS teams.

D U H !!

How are they going to complain about NDSU's cupcake schedule when they will have had their fair shake against the Bison in the playoffs? I can just see it now... "We all sucked, especially in the playoffs! NDSU didn't earn that National Championship trophy! Because we all sucked! They should have faced better competition!"

D U H !!:D

HerdBot
02-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Not to sound like a broken record but if I'm living in the D2 days (which I'm not) than your living the "transition days."

The stakes are higher now. We get to go to the playoffs and contend for a National Championship and a Gateway Title. We now play competitive teams at home and the games are no longer over by half time. If that doesn't excite you than I don't know what to say.

I don't get your point about Montana because Montana went undefeated, got the 2nd highest seed, a bye week, and a home playoff game. Could it have worked out better for them? Granted they lost the home playoff game it but getting their ass handed to them by LSU woudn't have made them a better team. Maybe a more injured team or a team that loses confidence.

By calling the schedule weak, your basically insulting the Gateway Conference, which is the best in D1-AA football. It's not even close.

You call Cal Poly a weak team? Last time I checked we had to pull of a miracle finsih to beat them and had no problems with Minnesota or Central Michigan.

I think we agree on more than you think. I want to see us play Big Ten Schools. Infact the #1 game I wanted to see was Wisconsin. But there is quite a difference between a Big Ten school and some weak ass MAC school. I'd rather see a great home game against a team like Cal Poly than a crappy D1-A team.

That's my two cents!

HerdBot
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM

That was pulled out of his ass. The only exception is Minnesota. Short drive and it's essentially a home game.

Bisonguy
02-05-2008, 12:34 AM

FWIW- rumor has it SDSU is getting less money for their game at Nebraska than what NDSU received vs. the Gophers. Their AD has a much different view on scheduling/media than Gene, such as their 2 for 1 home/homes with Delaware and Montana.

I like the idea of a big FBS game, if the money is good enough.

SDbison
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Why is it NDSU is the only Gateway team without a FBS game in 2008? By the way Gabe I NEVER said Cal Poly was a weak team. Here I am again defending myselfd agaionst a bunch of blowhards at Bisonville. Are all you related or something. Go FUC# yourselves.

NDSUstudent
02-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Why is it NDSU is the only Gateway team without a FBS game in 2008?

My guess is that Gene wanted a lower level FBS team for 2008 and after the CMU beatdown none of those teams have been interested.

HerdBot
02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Why is it NDSU is the only Gateway team without a FBS game in 2008? By the way Gabe I NEVER said Cal Poly was a weak team. Here I am again defending myselfd agaionst a bunch of blowhards at Bisonville. Are all you related or something. Go FUC# yourselves.

You said we're scared of a tough schedule right after we suggested playing Poly at home (who almost beat us) instead of a weak ass D1-A team? You think playing a MAC team is big deal? The rest of us don't and we would rather play a home game vs. a good opponent like Cal Poly.

We're not scared of competition. We can get a game vs a D1-A team any time if we want and we've played 4 of them over the last 2 years and played well. Is it that big of a deal to focus on getting in the Playoffs and winning the Gateway? (after a 5 year probation period?)

We want to play Big Ten schools that we can make a road trip out of. Not a game in Michigan vs some crappy MAC school. Better yet how about a game right in my back yard.

Are you a season ticket holder? My gut tells me no since you live in SD and have no interest in good home games.

NDSUguy
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
The bottom line is this....

Advantages for playing a FBS:

1. revenue of around 200-300k (based upon earlier games)
2. more excitement for the fan base
3. possible national exposure if you beat a top 25 team (after all, fcs wins over fbs are getting less and less press by the day due to it happening more often)

Advantages of playing another home game

1. revenue of at minimum 225,000 (15000*15/ticket). This is not including advertising, possible tv revenue or other sales at the gate.
2. If the game is a a good one, the fan base will be excited.

So, SDBison suggests that we play the "Best" competition so that we can prove ourselves and excite the fan base. Others suggest that we should play another home game and why try to schedule a BCS type school.

In the past we have played teams like UofM, Central Mich and Ball State. We have beaten each team. Since we have won those games (and two of the three wins were not really that close), we can make the statement that these "big games" are really.....not all that big since we had better competition from our conference foes (past/present).

My point is this:

Its not about finances, since we would easily make more money by playing another home game. So....what exactly is this about????

National exposure? Maybe... there is something to that (if we win). If we don't win, we get no national exposure --unless we play a top 25 team.

Exciting a fan base??? I think that this has to be it since there is a "wow" factor involved. Our fan base however has been very excited since we have had two 10-1 seasons.

Over the last two seasons, NDSU football has really taken off. Part of it has been due to the media pumping up our "big" games against teams that for the most part we dominated. I think that however our fan base has been giving those games too much credit. Sure, a game against a local FBS would be fun (because all of us rubes in ND and MN would be able to take a trip to "the cities" or to Madison) but any other FBS team has had too much love for those games. The games that we will get annually (i.e. our rivals) will soon become the fans bigger love.

That is why we should NOT play a FBS this year. We would more money with a home game, get minimal national exposure, and hopefully bring our fan base back to reality.

lakesbison
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Are we seriously having this DEBATE?!?

MINNESOTA GAME HIGHLIGHTS ON ESPN (& LOU HOLTZ GIVING NDSU A STICKER ON THE HELMET) TRUMPS EVERY HOME GAME NDSU HAS HAD IN THE PAST 10 maybe 20 YEARS!!!

REALLY PEOPLE, ARE YOU THAT DELUSIONAL?

Im agreeing with SD BISON more and more...... those FBS games provide more exposure for NDSU than all the home games!

SlickVic
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Im agreeing with SD BISON more and more...... those FBS games provide more exposure for NDSU than all the home games!

id rather play poly so go FUC# yourself hahaha my oh my SD your worked up over nothing...why dont you fire off an e mail to gene taylor and cry about it? the only reason he doesnt want home games is because hes not exactly welcome there...the dome nazis own him

Bison bison
02-05-2008, 03:46 PM
sdbison wasn't even at the gopher game!

HerdBot
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Are we seriously having this DEBATE?!?

MINNESOTA GAME HIGHLIGHTS ON ESPN (& LOU HOLTZ GIVING NDSU A STICKER ON THE HELMET) TRUMPS EVERY HOME GAME NDSU HAS HAD IN THE PAST 10 maybe 20 YEARS!!!

REALLY PEOPLE, ARE YOU THAT DELUSIONAL?

Ball State didn't even have local news highlights much less NATIONAL highlights. Central Michigan got NOTHING on ESPN. Those games were not a big deal at all. Like I said, I'm all for playinga BIG TEN team. They are BIG TIME. MAC schools are small time..

I'd rather play Poly at home and have a lot of fun than play a small time D1-A school.

Wanna hear something funny? More people saw Stephen F Austin than Central Michigan because it was on Fox Sports Net!! Central Michigan wasn't even on TV!! Neither was BALL STATE!!

tcbison
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Ball State didn't even have local news highlights much less NATIONAL highlights. Central Michigan got NOTHING on ESPN. Those games were not a big deal at all. Like I said, I'm all for playinga BIG TEN team. They are BIG TIME. MAC schools are small time..

I'd rather play Poly at home and have a lot of fun than play a small time D1-A school.

Wanna hear something funny? More people saw Stephen F Austin than Central Michigan because it was on Fox Sports Net!! Central Michigan wasn't even on TV!! Neither was BALL STATE!!

I don't think that Lakes and SDbison were referring to Ball State or Central Michigan. They are referring to Minnesota and Wisconsin(Big Ten teams). There is a big difference.

56BISON73
02-05-2008, 04:34 PM
You said we're scared of a tough schedule right after we suggested playing Poly at home (who almost beat us) instead of a weak ass D1-A team? You think playing a MAC team is big deal? The rest of us don't and we would rather play a home game vs. a good opponent like Cal Poly.

We're not scared of competition. We can get a game vs a D1-A team any time if we want and we've played 4 of them over the last 2 years and played well. Is it that big of a deal to focus on getting in the Playoffs and winning the Gateway? (after a 5 year probation period?)

We want to play Big Ten schools that we can make a road trip out of. Not a game in Michigan vs some crappy MAC school. Better yet how about a game right in my back yard.

Are you a season ticket holder? My gut tells me no since you live in SD and have no interest in good home games.

Not only is he a season ticket holder but he is a Team Maker as well. PL

90BISON
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM

You know what they say about assuming?;)

HerdBot
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Creepy. I'd be crabby if I had to drive that far for games too. I guess he feels that gives him a license to be a complete jackass and tell everyone to f-off for differing with his opinion.

HerdBot
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
You know what they say about assuming?;)

Teammaker or not, he's a complete jack ass and I know that for a fact... no assuming needed. He should apologize for telling others to F OFF. Then we will all be cool and I'll apologize for calling him a jackass. Until then I shall refer to him as jackass. :)

90BISON
02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Teammaker or not, he's a complete jack ass and I know that for a fact... no assuming needed. He should apologize for telling others to F OFF. Then we will all be cool and I'll apologize for calling him a jackass. Until then I shall refer to him as jackass. :)

My "assuming" assumption had to do with you assuming SDBISON was not a season ticket holder or didn't care for good home games. I won't comment on anything else beyond that. Usually somewhere in the middle of polar opposite opinions is about the right place. Oh, by the way, if you don't agree with that, you can.........;) (Sorry couldn't resist) I'm guessing some of the guys just have real high expectations for Bison Football (or athletics in general), and this is a good thing. They are the guys that help push the envelope a bit.:nod:

Bisonguy
02-06-2008, 01:14 AM
If I had to drive over three hours one way for every home game, I'd want the best possible opponents to be on the schedule.

My drive is less than five minutes, so it isn't as much of an issue for myself. However, I do respect the opinions of those that sacrifice at least six hours of their time (not even including possible hotel stay, etc.) to be able to see the games.

56BISON73
02-06-2008, 02:10 AM
If I had to drive over three hours one way for every home game, I'd want the best possible opponents to be on the schedule.

My drive is less than five minutes, so it isn't as much of an issue for myself. However, I do respect the opinions of those that sacrifice at least six hours of their time (not even including possible hotel stay, etc.) to be able to see the games.

13 hours one way for me. :D PL

HerdBot
02-06-2008, 04:30 AM

I respect how passionae he is for the team. I respect the fact that someone who will drive that far is a great fan. However, I won't respect their opinion more because of it. I don't even necessarily disagree with everything SD Bison Fan says but when someone tells me to F&^% OFF I can't respect them unless they apologize. C'mon SD! Say your sorry! :)

If I had to guess, 95% of this board are members of team makers, including myself.

BisBison
02-06-2008, 04:36 AM
I respect how passionae he is for the team. I respect the fact that someone who will drive that far is a great fan. However, I won't respect their opinion more because of it. I don't even necessarily disagree with everything SD Bison Fan says but when someone tells me to F&^% OFF I can't respect them unless they apologize. C'mon SD! Say your sorry! :)

If I had to guess, 95% of this board are members of team makers, including myself.

agreed, nobody gets to tell me to f(*& off just for voicing my opinion ang gets any respect until a decent apology is forthcoming. For crying out loud leave that type of s(*t for those who deserve it not fellow Bison fans.

X-Factor
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/388617519_81e4689dbb.jpg?v=0

SDbison
02-08-2008, 02:44 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/388617519_81e4689dbb.jpg?v=0
Sorry a-holes, my opinion of some of you here still stands. Oh by the way if you want to express yor opinion in person feel free next season. I will be in the tailgate area......you and pussy slick can stop by anytime.

HerdBot
02-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Sorry a-holes, my opinion of some of you here still stands. Oh by the way if you want to express yor opinion in person feel free next season. I will be in the tailgate area......you and pussy slick can stop by anytime.

What are you two years old? I'm still trying to figure out what was exactly was said that pissed you off so much. Either way I'll just ignore you since your a man child. I'll stay away from your tailgate area because I don't beat up old men.

SDbison
02-08-2008, 02:58 AM
What are you two years old? I'm still trying to figure out what was exactly was said that pissed you off so much. Either way I'll just ignore you since your a man child. I'll stay away from your tailgate area because I don't beat up old men.
Gabe you puss........you started the personal name calling crap....man up and quit hiding behind the message board. Bring it on girly boy,

MN_BISON
02-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Let's get ready to rumble!
http://fightphotos.com/boxextras/images/etc3.jpg

Mr. Burgundy
02-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Is this for real? Are you guys really fighting about the schedule? Name calling? Seriously......

UTH
02-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Teammaker or not, he's a complete jack ass and I know that for a fact. Gabe you puss...

Oh, Lordy...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/RodneyKingcantwealljustgetalong.jpg

*ad hominem is bad. who did it first isn't as important as the fact that it is still being done. namecalling drags down everyone down - the target, the poster, and entire bisonville innernets community as a whole. find something to agree on for a while or something... go to tab's playground and smack the jacks together or something. that should hopefully make everyone feel better.

**the statements quoted above were just the easiest to find. there's more than just two in this tango...

aces1180
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I just want everyone on Bisonville to know that my dad can beat up all your dads...;)

I think we should all just be happy we live in a country where we can have these open debates...Hell, we get to watch the Bison...Think about the people in Afghanistan who play their sports with dead goats. Let's all be happy and drink until our livers hurt...Because we can!

lakesbison
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Im Just Excited That Im Not Involved...............yet>.

aces1180
02-08-2008, 01:37 PM

That's quite the surprise Lakes! Good work! ;)

TransAmBison
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't care who you are, that there is funny!

CarringtonBison
02-09-2008, 02:41 AM
three cheers for lakes

hip hip................

Trim
02-09-2008, 02:42 AM
hooray....

CarringtonBison
02-09-2008, 02:43 AM
hip hip......................

Trim
02-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Who-Ray???

CarringtonBison
02-09-2008, 02:55 AM
hip hop.................

Bisonguy
02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
hip hop.................

http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/37656/no-wai001.jpg

56BISON73
02-09-2008, 03:21 AM

Now that was funny. PL

lakesbison
02-09-2008, 03:32 AM
I just may have to throw in my 34 cents now

sambini
02-09-2008, 04:12 AM
My Oh My.................................