PDA

View Full Version : 1st Year of conference play can be a learning process

ndsubison1
02-01-2008, 06:30 AM
It is just our 1st year of conference play in a conference that isnt that bad. Oral Roberts, IUPUI, and Oakland are all solid teams. OR beat OK St. and OU beat Oregon. I know it is pretty frustrating with the talent we have, watching us lose some key game here, but this should be a learning process. We are lucky Woody, Nelson, Winks, and Moormann all redshirted. We still got another year to get it done. These players havent been through a full conference schedule playing some quality competition on the road and at home on a consistent basis, some of these losses will only benefit our players and help us try to win the conference next year and get into the NCAA. Hopefully Carlson can provide us with more depth and hopefully a big man for next year can step up and help us so we can get these big in-conference wins.

I think we expected too much of these guys in their first year of conference play. I'll take a 3rd maybe even a 4th place finish, 2nd and obviously 1st would be nice, but this year will help us for next season. Next season is what it pretty much boils down to. We can get it done next year because of this year.

Any other thoughts?

bisonpride2k
02-01-2008, 03:13 PM
It is just our 1st year of conference play in a conference that isnt that bad. Oral Roberts, IUPUI, and Oakland are all solid teams. OR beat OK St. and OU beat Oregon. I know it is pretty frustrating with the talent we have, watching us lose some key game here, but this should be a learning process. We are lucky Woody, Nelson, Winks, and Moormann all redshirted. We still got another year to get it done. These players havent been through a full conference schedule playing some quality competition on the road and at home on a consistent basis, some of these losses will only benefit our players and help us try to win the conference next year and get into the NCAA. Hopefully Carlson can provide us with more depth and hopefully a big man for next year can step up and help us so we can get these big in-conference wins.

I think we expected too much of these guys in their first year of conference play. I'll take a 3rd maybe even a 4th place finish, 2nd and obviously 1st would be nice, but this year will help us for next season. Next season is what it pretty much boils down to. We can get it done next year because of this year.

Any other thoughts?

Great points. We have to keep in mind that even though we won 20 games last year 3 of those were NAIA schools and 2 of those were New Jersey Tech (which should be an NAIA). We are on the edge of being a very solid team but the idea of an atlarge bid for next year is at this point not very realistic. It will be a three game season for the conference title and the big dance. If we get hot at the right time we get in. If our RPI is not in the 30's or lower 40's (not very likely) our at large chances are zero.

Germane
02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Oakland fan here with a couple of unsolicited thoughts on this topic after last night's game, which was a tremendous game to watch in person (seriously -- no condescension or gloating here).

To state the obvious, the difference between this year's Bison team and the team OU beat a couple of years ago by 25+ is stunning. After you won 20 games last year, I think we all knew your team was much-improved, but the game last night reinforced a couple of things in my mind about your first year in the Summit.

First, Saul Phillips looks like a very good coach, and I'm sure he already has the respect of the other Summit coaches. I really expected you to suffer more than you have after Tim Miles left for Colorado State, but Phillips has done a nice job.

Your team looks fundamentally sound, your team chemistry looks good, and your players are in shape (good conditioning program). Our guys usually look much better conditioned than some of the teams in the Summit (including the S. Utah team we inexplicably lost to), but that wasn't the case last night.

I hope this is the beginning of a hard-fought conference rivalry year in, year out.

Finally, I had a question about recruiting (I read through the recruiting thread, but it was a bit tough to follow due to the diversity/anti-diversity detours, etc). Who do you have coming in the Fall of 08, how are they rated, and how are they performing during the current HS season? For some reason rivals.com doesn't have NDSU listed, and the espn.com page for Summit recruiting has Nagel (#158 power forward) as your only recruit. Are there others for next fall?

Obviously with your core players being seniors next year, you should be a major factor in the conference tourney then. From a selfish perspective, I'm glad you're not eligible this year. Good luck Saturday against IPFW.

bisonhusker
02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the note. Oakland is a tough team. Looks to be a nice little rivalry brewing in the Summit....hopefully next year it is our turn to STEAL two wins late. Damn those were good games.

In regards to recruiting....Clearly Carlson will help us next year. He is a 3/4 and is a scorer. He has added 20 pounds so far this redshirt year, and we have Nagle coming in from Iowa next year. He may redshirt. I personally hope he does. He is having a very nice senior year in Iowa and is the big kid we need in the future. I should dig a bit to see his stats so far this season. I did see a while back he was ranked the #8 ranked Iowa Senior. I also thought he was pre season all state...but I am not positive on that. I will dig tonight. Rivals doesn't update on him much.

silkamilkamonico
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
He has added 20 pounds so far this redshirt year, and we have Nagle coming in from Iowa next year. He may redshirt. I personally hope he does. He is having a very nice senior year in Iowa and is the big kid we need in the future.

Considering it's our last year with Woodside and company, would the coaching staff consider not redshirting him in hopes of him contributing even just a little inside, or is it a situation where Nagle might just be too young/inexperienced, or Saul will stay committed to building the future?

I like the progression this team has made throughout the course of the year, and with Carlson we'll be that much more on offense, but I would still like to have some kind of an inside presence next year to take some pressure off the perimeter players.

bisonhusker
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Silk, I agree...and I have not heard if he is going to be ready to contribute right away or not. If he is, I am sure he will get his chance to play. The depth chart will remain the same in the post as we don't graduate anyone, so I don't see a ton of minutes for a true freshman, but he if earns a spot before they determine if he is to redshirt, they will play him. Carlson will play the 3/4, so that takes a few minutes I guess.

It will be interesting. Carlson should be a stud.

TheDoctor
02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
The 4 Hourse Men deserve to have him playing next year! ;)

Jdubs21
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah if this team is ever meant to make much noise or a run at the dance, next year is gonna be the only year for awhile the way it looks, its just frustrating to see this group of players and this team to not seem to have improved to much since november

BisonBlogger
02-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Under normal circumstances, you would probably redshirt Nagle next year.

Next year is not normal. They have a legitmate shot.

A chance to get to the dance may not come along as often as you may hope. Any possible help in the paint must be utilized next year. Nagle may not seem ready when he steps on campus, but by tournament time he could very well be the difference.

Just a couple altered shots or defensive rebounds last night in a very close game would have been the difference considering OU had 14 offensive rebounds.

TheBisonator
02-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Under normal circumstances, you would probably redshirt Nagle next year.

Next year is not normal. They have a legitmate shot.

A chance to get to the dance may not come along as often as you may hope. Any possible help in the paint must be utilized next year. Nagle may not seem ready when he steps on campus, but by tournament time he could very well be the difference.

Just a couple altered shots or defensive rebounds last night in a very close game would have been the difference considering OU had 14 offensive rebounds.

I just hope in the future we can have 1 shot every recruiting cycle (every 4-5 years).

99Bison
02-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Yeah if this team is ever meant to make much noise or a run at the dance, next year is gonna be the only year for awhile the way it looks, its just frustrating to see this group of players and this team to not seem to have improved to much since november

Have you seen any of the last few games at all? There is a lot of Improvement since November...

90BISON
02-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Have you seen any of the last few games at all? There is a lot of Improvement since November...

Agreed. This is not the "same" team that played (kinda) in the Barn in Mpls.:smh: