PDA

View Full Version : President's residence

imported_Bisongold
01-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Just wondering about the progress of the much needed new residence. All I know is what was in the FF a few weeks ago about Chapman taking up residence in South Fargo while the project proceeds. I am all in favor of this, not just because I think Chapman rocks, but the University needed it big time. Hopefully it will be NICER than anyone expects. I'm sure it will be, but with the architectural school located at NDSU, the pressure is on!!

roadwarrior
01-31-2008, 12:23 AM
I think they are in the process of hiring an architect for the project.

DORMIE
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Talked recently with a member of the building committee. They just went through a walk through. Said it was apauling. Couldn't figure how anyone could live in the place. Are looking between 2 archiatect firms. Would have liked to put up more of a facility that would be able to entertain more, but might have to scale that back because UND put the $900,000 limit on building a house. Up there they will have a new alumni center next door and might not need that as much. Our Alumni Center is across the street and is a little more inconvient.

imabison
01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Talked recently with a member of the building committee. They just went through a walk through. Said it was apauling. Couldn't figure how anyone could live in the place. Are looking between 2 archiatect firms. Would have liked to put up more of a facility that would be able to entertain more, but might have to scale that back because UND put the $900,000 limit on building a house. Up there they will have a new alumni center next door and might not need that as much. Our Alumni Center is across the street and is a little more inconvient.
An interview this week actually said they may still be looking at keeping the old house along with building new as a way to reduce come of the cost.

Hammersmith
01-31-2008, 06:23 PM
I wish there was some way of buying out the three Greek houses on the same block as the Alumni Center and building the new house there. I hate the idea of continuing to block off the SE corner of campus from further academic building development. I realize the costs of buying out the Greeks would be far too high, but I still wish it could be done.

Bison bison
01-31-2008, 09:19 PM
if alumni/friends want to build a $10 million house they should be able to.

Gully
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I wish there was some way of buying out the three Greek houses on the same block as the Alumni Center and building the new house there. I hate the idea of continuing to block off the SE corner of campus from further academic building development. I realize the costs of buying out the Greeks would be far too high, but I still wish it could be done.

Ummmm, not going to happen, I can say with certainty at least two of them are not for sale. Next idea please.

TheBisonator
02-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Ummmm, not going to happen, I can say with certainty at least two of them are not for sale. Next idea please.

There's also no non-Greek properties on Fraternity Row that would be willing to sell either, if Theta Chi and Alpha Tau wanted to rebuild. Anyway, I've always thought that Theta Chi and Alpha Tau were the two nicest looking Greek houses on campus, with the red brick and ivy growing on the sides. Sigma Nu looks real nice as well, but that's on the other side of the block.

bisonmike2
02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm not so sure about that. Of those 4 greek properties on the block of the alumni center, I think 2 could be bought rather easy. You got Kappa Delta to the north and on the east side of the block you got Sigma Chi, defunct Phi Mu house (I can't remember who is there now but they just moved in there a couple of years ago) and Kappa Alpha Theta. I don't see either of the sororities selling but Sigma Chi butts right up against the alumni center and NDSU has been wanting to buy that ever since that building went up and could have it if they ever sweetened the deal. I know b/c I am an old Sigma Chi. And I'm sure the guys next door would sell for the right price. It's not like they have alot of history in that building. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to put the presidents house there. You got a parking lot right there. You could do some cool intergration of the back of the Alumni Center with the backyard of the presidents house.

BlueBisonRock
02-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Of those 4 greek properties on the block of the alumni center, I think 2 could be bought rather easy. You got Kappa Delta to the north and on the east side of the block you got Sigma Chi, defunct Phi Mu house (I can't remember who is there now but they just moved in there a couple of years ago) and Kappa Alpha Theta.

Apologies for going off topic. What greek houses are still active on the campus? I am asking because you referenced the Phi Mu house being defunct, and I remember the Alpha Gamma Delta and the Kappa Kappa Gammas being on that block also. I could not find a reference on the NDSU site.

Hammersmith
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Apologies for going off topic. What greek houses are still active on the campus? I am asking because you referenced the Phi Mu house being defunct, and I remember the Alpha Gamma Delta and the Kappa Kappa Gammas being on that block also. I could not find a reference on the NDSU site.

According to the Memorial Union's website (http://mu.ndsu.edu/greek_life/fraternities_and_sororities/), the current frats are Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Tau Omega, Delta Upsilon, FarmHouse, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Delta, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Theta Chi. The sororities are Alpha Gamma Delta, Ceres, Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Delta.

Back to my first comment, I realize that it was unlikely in the extreme; that's why I used the term "wish", rather than anything else. I also didn't realize that there were four buildings, not three, on that section of the block. I was thinking of putting the private part of the home on the NE corner, with a private backyard against the parking lot. The public/entertaing portion of the house could go between the Alumni Center and the private home with an outdoor entertaining area on the NW corner of the block that could be shared with the AC. The public portion of the house would also have direct access to the parking lot.

If you want to go really crazy, start thinking of where you would relocate the Greek houses to. You could move them north to the same block as AGR or Theta Chi, or(if you really want to have some fun) buy out the properties between 11th St and 11.5 St, put the moved Greeks there, and block off 11.5 St and make it a central court yard. Anyone got a couple million to spare?

Trim
02-09-2008, 02:37 AM
I think it is fun to say "President's residence".

Bison bison
02-09-2008, 04:18 PM
According to the Memorial Union's website (http://mu.ndsu.edu/greek_life/fraternities_and_sororities/), the current frats are Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Tau Omega, Delta Upsilon, FarmHouse, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Delta, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Theta Chi. The sororities are Alpha Gamma Delta, Ceres, Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Delta.

Back to my first comment, I realize that it was unlikely in the extreme; that's why I used the term "wish", rather than anything else. I also didn't realize that there were four buildings, not three, on that section of the block. I was thinking of putting the private part of the home on the NE corner, with a private backyard against the parking lot. The public/entertaing portion of the house could go between the Alumni Center and the private home with an outdoor entertaining area on the NW corner of the block that could be shared with the AC. The public portion of the house would also have direct access to the parking lot.

If you want to go really crazy, start thinking of where you would relocate the Greek houses to. You could move them north to the same block as AGR or Theta Chi, or(if you really want to have some fun) buy out the properties between 11th St and 11.5 St, put the moved Greeks there, and block off 11.5 St and make it a central court yard. Anyone got a couple million to spare?

the foundation owns most of the homes/rentals on university.

90BISON
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Alpha Gams were very large when I was there in the 80's, but the KKG's were already disolved sometime in the early 80's? Phi Mu's were also struggling in the 80's.

Hammersmith
02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I've never paid any attention to the social Greeks. Has the total number of social frats/sors at NDSU been rising, falling or holding steady over the years? Also, has the bad press over the past five years or so had any tangible effects? (deaths at MSUM, F-M/ND "binge" drinking, the fatal hit and run last summer, etc)

BlueBisonRock
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I've never paid any attention to the social Greeks. Has the total number of social frats/sors at NDSU been rising, falling or holding steady over the years? Also, has the bad press over the past five years or so had any tangible effects? (deaths at MSUM, F-M/ND "binge" drinking, the fatal hit and run last summer, etc)

I can't address the impact of the press, but did note that there was no change in the fraternities between the mid to late 70s and today. I did note that Kappa Psi (a professional pharmacy fraternity) has gone coed. The sororities have seen changes. There were six sororities: Alpha Gamma Delta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta continue their presence. Ceres is a new sorority. Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Phi Mu appear to have been disbanded.

bisonmike2
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM

AGD are across the street on a different block. I'm not familiar with the Kappa Kappa Gammas. On the block that the alumni center sits there are Kappa Delta (sorority), Sigma Chi (fraternity), Kappa Alpha Theta (sorority), and ??? (fraternity). I apoligize that I don't remember who ??? is but they used to have a house across from the library and bought the old Phi Mu house when they went under. These are the list of fraternities/sororities that I believe are still active on NDSU. I may be missing someone but I can't remember. I'm getting to old.

ALPHA GAMMA RHO
ALPHA TAU OMEGA
DELTA UPSILON
FARMHOUSE
SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON
SIGMA CHI
SIGMA NU
SIGMA PHI DELTA
TAU KAPPA EPSILON
THETA CHI
Kappa Delta
Alpha Gamma Delta
Kappa Alpha Theta

bisonmike2
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm no official on the subject but I was in the Greek system during the death of the good ol' days. Parties during my Fresh, Soph and Junior years were amazing. Fraternities could have parties and people could b.y.o.b we just had to hire a security guard to card at the door. It was the most ridiculous thing in the world b/c 99.9% of the people had someone 21 bring in 2 cases of beer 'for himself' and then once they were in the party distribute it out to everyone else. But we did it anyway b/c that's how campus wanted us to handle it. I really think the completion of the Alumni Center brought the death of the animal house type parties at greek houses at NDSU. I was a Sigma Chi and people partied every night and even harder on the weekends. Once the alumni center started hosting events we started seeing an increase in police stops at our house and also increased pressue from campus to adopt a no alcohol policy. There were many times where we were being loud and drunk while the alumni center was supposed to be holding a special event or fundraiser. Eventually they basically threatned to not recognize us as an official social fraternity. If a fraternity looses their campus recognition that is a death sentence. The national fraternity will cut off an funding and with that goes breaks on insurance among other things.

roadwarrior
02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Marcil family donates $1,000,000 to NDSU and $1,000,000 to UND to build new residences for both presidents !!!

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=192421&section=news

bisonmike2
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Marcil family donates $1,000,000 to NDSU and $1,000,000 to UND to build new residences for both presidents !!!

This is great news. Kudos to the Marcil family on a very classy move. He really brings up some good points in the article.

"Those residences are more than just houses,” he (William Marcil)said. “They’re really showcases for the universities and for the whole state.”

“Maybe a joint gift will stimulate people to think about how we can work together for the benefit of everybody,” he said.

sambini
02-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Kudos to the Marcils++++++++

IowaBisonToo
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Cool! That ought to build one heckuva nice house.

sambini
02-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Build a nice bar in that house++++++++++

Shawn-O
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Build a nice bar in that house++++++++++

And maybe stock it with some A-B products?
Thanks to the Marcils.

sambini
02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
And maybe stock it with some A-B products?
Thanks to the Marcils.Works for me_++++++++++++++

roadwarrior
03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
It has been decided that the current house will be demolished after Habitat for Humanity clears out any items that can be used in their housing projects. The new house will be built at the same location. I'm too lazy to post a link, but it was in the online edition of the Forum.

bisonmike2
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
It has been decided that the current house will be demolished after Habitat for Humanity clears out any items that can be used in their housing projects. The new house will be built at the same location. I'm too lazy to post a link, but it was in the online edition of the Forum.

So does the Pres get to stay at the comfort in with all the overflow freshmen while his house is being built? Or maybe they'll put him in his own suite in one of the high rises. :)

sambini
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
He is renting a house in OSGOOD.

travelingbison
03-07-2008, 11:22 PM
AGD are across the street on a different block. I'm not familiar with the Kappa Kappa Gammas. On the block that the alumni center sits there are Kappa Delta (sorority), Sigma Chi (fraternity), Kappa Alpha Theta (sorority), and ??? (fraternity). I apoligize that I don't remember who ??? is but they used to have a house across from the library and bought the old Phi Mu house when they went under.....

Delta Upsilon is the fraternity that purchased the Phi Mu house a couple of years ago. I believe it due in part because the old DU house was becoming a safety concern. It was also during a key transition time for DU, as they transitioned to a more community-concerned house and wanted to be able to have a place that could house more young men.

travelingbison
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm no official on the subject but I was in the Greek system during the death of the good ol' days. Parties during my Fresh, Soph and Junior years were amazing. Fraternities could have parties and people could b.y.o.b we just had to hire a security guard to card at the door. It was the most ridiculous thing in the world b/c 99.9% of the people had someone 21 bring in 2 cases of beer 'for himself' and then once they were in the party distribute it out to everyone else. But we did it anyway b/c that's how campus wanted us to handle it. I really think the completion of the Alumni Center brought the death of the animal house type parties at greek houses at NDSU. I was a Sigma Chi and people partied every night and even harder on the weekends. Once the alumni center started hosting events we started seeing an increase in police stops at our house and also increased pressue from campus to adopt a no alcohol policy. There were many times where we were being loud and drunk while the alumni center was supposed to be holding a special event or fundraiser. Eventually they basically threatned to not recognize us as an official social fraternity. If a fraternity looses their campus recognition that is a death sentence. The national fraternity will cut off an funding and with that goes breaks on insurance among other things.

The Alumni Center could have only played a minor role in NDSU's decision to come down on the fraternities and sororities for partying and alcohol usage. I was a KD and a student leader on campus at the time of the transition and know for a fact NDSU wanted to change the overall image the greeks were receiving from the FM Community - namely, the residents of North Fargo. NDSU felt it was important the greeks represent their houses in a good light, as well as remind them that their houses also represented scholarship, leadership and community involvement.

...not to mention that NDSU was becoming a hot spot for underage and binge drinkers in the state....that's one list no one want to be #1 on....unless you're UND.

travelingbison
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM

I honestly believe that the bad press was a reality check for a lot of the houses, something similar to 'It'll never happen to me' effect. I think as a result the greeks have made a 180 in their efforts to become better chapters. From what I hear, several of them are receiving regional and national awards for their hard work - one example I can think of is ATO.

bisonmike2
03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
The Alumni Center could have only played a minor role in NDSU's decision to come down on the fraternities and sororities for partying and alcohol usage. I was a KD and a student leader on campus at the time of the transition and know for a fact NDSU wanted to change the overall image the greeks were receiving from the FM Community - namely, the residents of North Fargo. NDSU felt it was important the greeks represent their houses in a good light, as well as remind them that their houses also represented scholarship, leadership and community involvement.

...not to mention that NDSU was becoming a hot spot for underage and binge drinkers in the state....that's one list no one want to be #1 on....unless you're UND.

You're probably right but it seemed like we were getting an extremely biased amount of heat thrown our way after the alumni center went up. Since the crackdown on booze and partying the houses have really began to focus on charity and social services. I can only attest to my former house, but since the crackdown membership has been hit very hard. Maybe it's a sad reflection of society but it's hard to attract guys into fraternity membership w/out the partying aspect. Had I not had such a great time and one of the parties hosted by my fraternity, I doubt I would have ever joined. I wouldn't have had a reason to show up at that house. "So you want me to pay a membership fee, do charity work and also maintain a certain g.p.a? Well can we at least party here? No, okay, see you guys later!" Only after I joined to I understand and benefit from the social and charitible activities being in a fraternity offers. Kids don't want to hear about that stuff. Not to mention the negative stereotype of being a "Frat Boy" that's out there today. I'm amazed that there still is a large number of fraternities still on campus at NDSU.

90BISON
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
You're probably right but it seemed like we were getting an extremely biased amount of heat thrown our way after the alumni center went up. Since the crackdown on booze and partying the houses have really began to focus on charity and social services. I can only attest to my former house, but since the crackdown membership has been hit very hard. Maybe it's a sad reflection of society but it's hard to attract guys into fraternity membership w/out the partying aspect. Had I not had such a great time and one of the parties hosted by my fraternity, I doubt I would have ever joined. I wouldn't have had a reason to show up at that house. "So you want me to pay a membership fee, do charity work and also maintain a certain g.p.a? Well can we at least party here? No, okay, see you guys later!" Only after I joined to I understand and benefit from the social and charitible activities being in a fraternity offers. Kids don't want to hear about that stuff. Not to mention the negative stereotype of being a "Frat Boy" that's out there today. I'm amazed that there still is a large number of fraternities still on campus at NDSU.

I was in one also, back in the mid - late 80's. The crackdown on booze and partying started back in the early 80's. I know for a fact at least the last few years I was there that you couldn't have any booze period during rush weeks, beyond that you just had to keep a low profile. I also fully believe that for many years, almost universally, the frats especially were attracting a lot of the wrong people. Attracting the right people is a big challenge though. It is much easier to say in hindsight though.:D

bisonmike2
03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I was in one also, back in the mid - late 80's. The crackdown on booze and partying started back in the early 80's. I know for a fact at least the last few years I was there that you couldn't have any booze period during rush weeks, beyond that you just had to keep a low profile. I also fully believe that for many years, almost universally, the frats especially were attracting a lot of the wrong people. Attracting the right people is a big challenge though. It is much easier to say in hindsight though.:D

We couldn't have any booze during rush week either but 12:01 am Saturday morning we would bust out the beer and that night we always had a end of week rush party.

90BISON
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
We couldn't have any booze during rush week either but 12:01 am Saturday morning we would bust out the beer and that night we always had a end of week rush party.

That sounds vaguely familiar. All I know is it was always more enjoyable to party in someone else's place that your own, no cleanup afterwards!:smh:

chuckles
04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
just noticed today they leveled the old president's house on campus. Sure made quick work of that.

sambini
04-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Master Construction under the guidance of Fred Schlanser jr, got the house down this morning. Master Construction are proud sponsors of NDSU ATHLETICS.

mebisonII
04-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Master Construction under the guidance of Fred Schlanser jr, got the house down this morning. Master Construction are proud sponsors of NDSU ATHLETICS.

Eep! They let Joe get out first, right?

sambini
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Joes been ought for a couple of months. Renting a place in Osgood.

mebisonII
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Joes been ought for a couple of months. Renting a place in Osgood.

Oh good. Just checking :hide:

BisBison
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
pictures anybody??

chuckles
04-11-2008, 12:42 AM
pictures anybody??

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/X00099_921.JPG

thanks to the forum! they finished digging out the basement now today. Pretty much all that is left is a hole in the ground.

sambini
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/X00099_921.JPG

thanks to the forum! they finished digging out the basement now today. Pretty much all that is left is a hole in the ground.
FRED AND HIS MASTER CONSTRUCTION GUYS GETTING IT DONE++++