PDA

View Full Version : Surf's up! Burgandy! SAN DIEGO QB!

lakesbison
01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/movie/football2007/lcc/viewer.html

OH YEA!.. .He's good!!

#2 on the video

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=la+costa+canyon+football

bunch of video links here

Mr. Burgundy
01-29-2008, 11:28 PM
we will be doing the show live tonight from his high school.

Stay Classy San Diego

(If you have never watched Anchorman, ignore me). If you have, feel free to share.

I'm Ron Burgundy??????

ndsubison1
01-30-2008, 12:25 AM

Stay Classy San Diego

(If you have never watched Anchorman, ignore me). If you have, feel free to share.

I'm Ron Burgundy??????

Go F&^K yourselves San Diego... lol

Diversity, I believe is an old wooden ship from the civil war times.

God I love that movie

Bisonguy
01-30-2008, 12:33 AM
FYI- for those watching at home saying "WTF is this thread about?", this thread is about one of NDSU's latest verbals, a QB from San Diego.

CaBisonFan
01-30-2008, 01:42 AM
FYI- for those watching at home saying "WTF is this thread about?", this thread is about one of NDSU's latest verbals, a QB from San Diego.

Good to get the info...but why is this little skirmish going on?

CaBisonFan
01-30-2008, 01:51 AM

OH YEA!.. .He's good!!

#2 on the video

This kid looks a little bit like Walker in how he drops back, tosses the ball, and feels the game. How big is he?

Mr. Burgundy
01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm kind of a big deal, I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mohagany. (sp?)

I am friend with Merlin Olson.

Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.

So many good lines in that movie. If you haven't seen, you may think we are crazy at this point.

lakesbison
01-30-2008, 01:55 AM
HA HA.. hilarious.. Its called "INSIDE INFORMATION"

welcome to -28 below JOSE!!!

Bring Veronica Corningstone with you!

Veronica Corningstone: Take me to Pleasure Town.
Ron Burgundy: Oh, we're going there.

aces1180
01-30-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm kind of a big deal, I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mohagany. (sp?)

I am friend with Merlin Olson.

Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.

So many good lines in that movie. If you haven't seen, you may think we are crazy at this point.

Scotch, scotch, scotch....I love scotch!

lakesbison
01-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.

Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BisonNeil
01-30-2008, 02:01 AM
This kid looks a little bit like Walker in how he drops back, tosses the ball, and feels the game. How big is he?

Who really knows.

HS roster listed him as 6'1" 175. McFeely said 6'1" 185. Rivals lists him as 6' 156. Based on his photo, I'm guessing closer to the later.

lakesbison
01-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Jose is only 6'1" 185, but honestly he looks smaller. but if he can pass at the Whittier Elite QB camp he's good enough for me!

1 more..

Brian Fantana: People call me the Bry man; I'm the stylish one of the group. I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. You ladies play your cards right you just might get to meet the whole gang.

BisonNeil
01-30-2008, 02:08 AM

OH YEA!.. .He's good!!

#2 on the video

If "he's good", his 2007 stats don't show it:

Jose Mohler 94comp 169att 55.62% 1376yd 13TD 5int 102.713 rating

HerdBot
01-30-2008, 02:16 AM

Stay Classy San Diego

I'm Ron Burgundy??????

Your a pirate hooker!

Hambone
01-30-2008, 02:21 AM

what about rushing stats?

BisonNeil
01-30-2008, 02:34 AM
what about rushing stats?

Good question, here's the answer:

Jose Mohler 129 rushes 517 yd 4.01 yd/rush

But listed as a pro-style QB by Rivals. Go figure.

lakesbison
01-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell? Oh.

Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire my lady.

Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper... filled with... Indian food. Oh, excuse me.

Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people

Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.

News Station Employee: Smells like Bigfoot's dick.

HerdBot
01-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell? Oh.

Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire my lady.

Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper... filled with... Indian food. Oh, excuse me.

Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people

Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.

News Station Employee: Smells like Bigfoot's dick.

That's a funny quote! It's even funnier reading it! LOL!

HerdBot
01-30-2008, 03:43 AM

His passing stats were solid and he was also the teams leading rusher. We tend to forget that High School players don't put up Tom Brady type stats and play less games. He's mobile which makes him a great West Coast style QB and if he's one of the best in San Diego he's gotta be solid.

G-city Bison Fan
01-30-2008, 05:18 AM
I guess in a west coast system I would like to see a higher completion percentage and less running. I think we all remember how well Mike Vick worked in a west coast offense...*cough*

That being said, I am really happy we went out and got what looks to be a pretty damn solid kid at that all important QB spot. I am excited to see what he can do when he gets a couple years to get coached up, get a little bigger, stronger and smarter kid. :)

ndsubison1
01-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Scotch, scotch, scotch....I love scotch!

scotch, scotch, scotch... I love scotch. here it goes down... down, down, down; down to my belly

Where'd you get those clothes? The toilet store...

Brick where did you get that gernade? I dont know.

I love... carpet.
I love... desk.
Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?
I love lamp.
Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?
I love lamp. I love lamp.

Mr_Meanor
01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
I believe there is a QB from Minnesota that has interest in NDSU as well. I have no idea if the bison want him but he has NDSU in this top 3 schools. His numbers didn't look to impressive though. I think his name is Jon Lynch. He is a big kid at 6'4 185. Anybody know anything more about this kid?

tony
01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
A little story about the new QB from a California perspective:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/30/sports/highschool/football/21_43_351_29_08.txt

Bison bison
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
"Oh, Sunshine....."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rXp7O5LtZQQ

NDSU1980
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
A little story about the new QB from a California perspective:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/30/sports/highschool/football/21_43_351_29_08.txt

The article said he came here in "NEAR freezing temperatures", which means he came during one of our warm periods this winter. What would he have thought yesterday? Jose has certain similarities to Walker and I have faith in Bohl to get the right guy. That said, culture shock is a given. Lastly, the California connection hasn't really been panning out for MSU-Moorhead. But then, we're God's chosen college.

aces1180
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
The article said he came here in "NEAR freezing temperatures", which means he came during one of our warm periods this winter. What would he have thought yesterday? Jose has certain similarities to Walker and I have faith in Bohl to get the right guy. That said, culture shock is a given. Lastly, the California connection hasn't really been panning out for MSU-Moorhead. But then, we're God's chosen college.

I'd say that having a football team hasn't really panned out for MSU-Moorhead. ;)

I think this Jose kid will be fine...Obviously he knows that NDSU is a place where he can win a championship.

WarBison
01-30-2008, 02:24 PM

He was in Fargo last weekend getting a tour.

SDbison
01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
So this is the QB that took so long to find? NDSU had to go to San Diego to find this gem? The kid is smaller than Walker and his high school stats are not even close to the numbers Walker put up. Not impressed at all. Where is a 6'3" or 6'4" talented QB that a program like NDSU should attract? I know some of you will defend Bohl and the other coaches like they are gods, but some criticism is warranted. NDSU had two 10-1 seasons because Walker was taking snaps, making good decisions and performing when he had to. Now everyone is happy that the Bison can hang their hat on Mertans and this guy? And some people on this board call me a homer?

tony
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
So this is the QB that took so long to find? NDSU had to go to San Diego to find this gem? The kid is smaller than Walker and his high school stats are not even close to the numbers Walker put up. Not impressed at all. Where is a 6'3" or 6'4" talented QB that a program like NDSU should attract? I know some of you will defend Bohl and the other coaches like they are gods, but some criticism is warranted. NDSU had two 10-1 seasons because Walker was taking snaps, making good decisions and performing when he had to. Now everyone is happy that the Bison can hang their hat on Mertans and this guy? And some people on this board call me a homer?

Heck, SDBison, I don't call you a homer. I call you "Always Really, Really Angry About Something Guy". :)

SDbison
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Heck, SDBison, I don't call you a homer. I call you "Always Really, Really Angry About Something Guy". :)
You can call me angry, but I do believe I make some valid points. If this QB is the best NDSU can recruit then the Bison are in for some difficult years ahead.

lakesbison
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
SD BISON... actually we are more happy that we can use all these movie references for him.

Im not GIDDY or CRAZY about him or his stats.. he's a RECRUIT!

3-4 years TOPS before he touches the starting snap if he does.

You're right, NDSU should be getting FBS transfer's left and right for QB's, think of all the STUD QB's at Big Ten, Big 12 schools, that are 3rd,4th on depth chart and will never play, THOSE are the kids that NDSU should have falling on their laps.. .and I think you agree with that!!

but JOSE can you see is here, so hopefully he gets 15-20 pounds on him, stays fast and shifty and improves arm strength so in 2010, he can be 6'2" 205 and a STAR!!!

Stay Classy SD BISON!

bisonmike2
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM
excellent news. I'm away for a couple days only to come back and see NDSU lands 3 solid guys. I'm really glad we got QB recruit. Get him a year to redshirt and work with NDSU's strength and conditioning coaches and his physical stats should look pretty impressive.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Where is a 6'3" or 6'4" talented QB that a program like NDSU should attract?

Going to mid level FBS programs and BCS conference teams.

I wouldn't hold much weight in his stats, he's probably playing against defenses that have a few big time 3-4+ star recruiting prospects, and he was a part of a very young offense this last year.

Besides, talent isn't even half the battle in developing a kid. Coaching and work ethic play a major role as well in how they turn out, and it sounds like he has the best of both worlds with that.

Recruiting "talent" is overrated. Look at programs like KU, and Missouri, and Miami, and even Nebraska(Sorry Bisonhusker-thank Callahan for that one), or even ND.

bisonhusker
01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
no worries Silk, Bo Pelini will have the Huskers back on track this year. They will play with passion or not play. Period. Or he will dress up and play. Love the energy.

OldBison
01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I believe there is a QB from Minnesota that has interest in NDSU as well. I have no idea if the bison want him but he has NDSU in this top 3 schools. His numbers didn't look to impressive though. I think his name is Jon Lynch. He is a big kid at 6'4 185. Anybody know anything more about this kid?

He is from St Louis Park I think. I know he listed NDSU as a school he was interested in. A preferred walk on I think, but that is okay by me. Bring on the competition!

OldBison
01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
You can call me angry, but I do believe I make some valid points. If this QB is the best NDSU can recruit then the Bison are in for some difficult years ahead.

Okay, but where the hell were you when BisonNeil and a few others like us were taking this staff to task for no QB recruits for the past 2 yrs and only one solid recruit (Mertens) in the past 4 yrs and 356+ days?

Ahhh, can you say "no show". Your silence was deafening and could be interpreted as a "homer" stance.

SDbison
01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Okay, but where the hell were you when BisonNeil and a few others like us were taking this staff to task for no QB recruits for the past 2 yrs and only one solid recruit (Mertens) in the past 4 yrs and 356+ days?

Ahhh, can you say "no show". Your silence was deafening and could be interpreted as a "homer" stance.
I had several posts during the past few months where I pointed out the lack of a QB recruit. I also commented on the need for a transfer D-lineman who could make an impact right away. I just haven't posted for a few weeks (due to some post buddies here who post the same crap over and over and jump all over those who have a justified differing opinion).

OldBison
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I just haven't posted for a few weeks (due to some post buddies here who post the same crap over and over and jump all over those who have a justified differing opinion).

I hear you. Unless you wear, what are they were called? Oh yeah, rose-colored glasses and march rank and file behind Bohl and his staff, you are labelled a traitor on this site. Some posters are braver than others, obviously. So, I understand and your views are duely noted.

It would appear that there are a few of us than that agree the Bison are potentially troubled by the lack of big time QB recruits while all other positions are relatively deep. If Mertens gets hurt this year and the season goes down the tubes as a result, there may be a few people taking off their glasses so they can see more clearly :hide:

aces1180
01-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I hear you. Unless you wear, what are they were called? Oh yeah, rose-colored glasses and march rank and file behind Bohl and his staff, you are labelled a traitor on this site. Some posters are braver than others, obviously. So, I understand and your views are duely noted.

It would appear that there are a few of us than that agree the Bison are potentially troubled by the lack of big time QB recruits while all other positions are relatively deep. If Mertens gets hurt this year and the season goes down the tubes as a result, there may be a few people taking off their glasses so they can see more clearly :hide:

I think Parsons is a decent backup, if needed. No matter who the starting quarterback is, an injury is always a problem.

TransAmBison
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
You guys are funny. I don't know you personally OldBison, but I know SDBison is one tough cookie and should be able to handle some good-natured banter. As for Bohl, it is hard to argue with his success. As for the quarterback position, I have always been apprehensive about the void left after Walker's departure. I hope Mertens can lead us to the promised land, but I am not sold on him yet. I would love to see a few quarterbacks signed, but I am excited about this California qb. Bohl has been a good judge of talent thus far so I would expect good things from him, as long as he doesn't freeze to death by early October! The big, tall qb SDBison is looking for is going to be hard to find at our level. I would expect it will take a few playoff runs before we have a chance at a guy like that.

SDbison
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I think Parsons is a decent backup, if needed. No matter who the starting quarterback is, an injury is always a problem.
Still not even sure about Mertans. And seems like everyone is counting on him to rise up and be somewhere approaching the quality of Walker. Likely will not happen this year. And who is there to push Mertans to win the position? Parsons is not the type of QB for a West Coast offense. Can't even think of the other guys name. And now this latest recruit? To be honest I am worried about how good NDSU's starting QB will be next year. I guess we all have to wait and see..........as for now, QB experience and depth really sucks!

met1990
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Agreed. Our punter is untested too. Maybe we should just call off the season.

SDbison
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
You guys are funny. I don't know you personally OldBison, but I know SDBison is one tough cookie and should be able to handle some good-natured banter. As for Bohl, it is hard to argue with his success. As for the quarterback position, I have always been apprehensive about the void left after Walker's departure. I hope Mertens can lead us to the promised land, but I am not sold on him yet. I would love to see a few quarterbacks signed, but I am excited about this California qb. Bohl has been a good judge of talent thus far so I would expect good things from him, as long as he doesn't freeze to death by early October! The big, tall qb SDBison is looking for is going to be hard to find at our level. I would expect it will take a few playoff runs before we have a chance at a guy like that.
SDSU seems to find some decent QB's that have some height. What is NDSU's problem? As for Bohl finding QB's I won't be a believer until I see another QB near as good, if not better than Walker.

aces1180
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Still not even sure about Mertans. And seems like everyone is counting on him to rise up and be somewhere approaching the quality of Walker. Likely will not happen this year. And who is there to push Mertans to win the position? Parsons is not the type of QB for a West Coast offense. Can't even think of the other guys name. And now this latest recruit? To be honest I am worried about how good NDSU's starting QB will be next year. I guess we all have to wait and see..........as for now, QB experience and depth really sucks!

I agree, Mertens won't be a Steve Walker right away...However, I feel that he has enough weapons around him to help with the transition from backup to starter...Spring practice will really determine what the Bison have in terms of depth...But I agree that it might be thin right now...Signing day is next week, so maybe Bohl has a rabbit in the hat to pull out and surprise everyone.

SDbison
01-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Agreed. Our punter is untested too. Maybe we should just call off the season.
Funny ha ha. Don't think that is what anybody is suggesting.......just wondering why NDSU's coaches don't put more emphasis on finding QUALITY QB Recruits for the future.

aces1180
01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Funny ha ha. Don't think that is what anybody is suggesting.......just wondering why NDSU's coaches don't put more emphasis on finding QUALITY QB Recruits for the future.

How do you know these recruits aren't quality? You nor I have never seen most these guys play, so I would think it is too early to judge what will happen on the field.

Did you think Steve Walker was going to be the man when he signed in 2002?

90BISON
01-30-2008, 06:57 PM
How do you know these recruits aren't quality? You nor I have never seen most these guys play, so I would think it is too early to judge what will happen on the field.

Did you think Steve Walker was going to be the man when he signed in 2002?

Or Kevin Feeney, or Arden Beechie, or Chris Simdorn, or.................:D

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
no worries Silk, Bo Pelini will have the Huskers back on track this year. They will play with passion or not play. Period. Or he will dress up and play. Love the energy.

I totally agree.

If I remember right, watching their bowl game (against Michigan St?) before Callahan was hired and Bo ended up coaching it, I remember hoping he would get the Nebraska job back then, even though he didn't have the repertoire. He looks to have a way of getting his kids ready to play at a high level, showed it in that bowl game, and then backed it up at LSU, who's been on top only basically of their defense, despite their offensive talent.

I like the way he coaches. And you're spot on with the energy he brings.

I understand why people are curious on Bowl and the QB position. Every college program with expectations who lose a long standing starting QB, face questions on what's going to happen there. The only concern I have about Mertens, is will he be able to continue to progress even though it looks like he won't get much competition from someone pushing him? I think the expectations of filling Steve Walker's shoes will hopefully not make him to complacent as the starter.

BisonNeil
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I must say, I find the discussion the past two days a surprise. I have been questioning the recruiting for QB and the depth at this position for a couple of weeks, and I kept questioning what is going on despite being unceremoniously slam-danced by many who post here. The current dialog, obviously by those who at least recognize that I am not insane, is refreshing for me. It is okay to question people! This is, after all, America.

For all of you who have recently questioned the depth at QB after Mertens, I agree!! (I personally think Mertens will be great!) If he goes down, playoff hopes and dreams likely go with him IMHO. I do not believe we can run without some assemblance of a passing game. I also agree that there is a question how good Mertens can be because, as has been stated by others, (sorry, forgot your names, everyone knew mine when I was the lone soldier) I question how much he will be pushed by Parsons and Brekke.

While encouraged and pleased that we have a QB commit, I also wonder how it is the Bison were unable to find a 5'11" QB locally (ND, MN, WI, IL, SD) with similar physical tools over the past three years. I mean really, no one? As one poster said, SDSU finds them and I would add that UND does also. (BTW, the height of our verbal is my estimate after looking at the QB jpg of his HS compared to listed heights of the other QBs) But this recruit is hopefully only the beginning. We need more than one QB to make competition, it is, after all, the most important position on the team.

Once again, thanks to all the members of the rodentia family who finally woke up from your winter hibernation and took a peak out of your holes to see what is going on! Kudos!! Unfortunately you chose to do so on a bitterly cold day and I am not just talking about the outdoor temperature.

X-Factor
01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

http://www.survivinggrady.com/uploaded_images/glass-half-full-717123.jpg

What's it going to be?

the things we argue about after going 20-2 the last two years :rolleyes:

Last year it was Kyle Steffes and OMG we don't have an experienced starter our running game is going to suck.
This year it's Steve Walker and OMG we don't an experience starter our passing game is going to blow.

WRSDBison
01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Not to nit pick but that glass is wider at the bottom. Therefore, it is over half full so I assume its safe to say that you are not too worried. We will be fine. Mertens has had 3 years to learn the system. It's not like we're losing Walker and having a true freshman without any experience with our system taking over.

imported_Bisongold
01-30-2008, 09:56 PM
There is always a possibility that Mertens will be BETTER than Walker! He may have a better arm and more mobility. Just a thought. Plus he gets the benefit of having 3 years in the system before having to take over!

borderbison
01-30-2008, 10:22 PM
There is always a possibility that Mertens will be BETTER than Walker! He may have a better arm and more mobility. Just a thought. Plus he gets the benefit of having 3 years in the system before having to take over!

You can't replace the magic of Walker but I think Merten's potential is unlimited. There's no question he's more mobile and has already proven to have a better arm than Walker. In two years from now people will be wondering how we will ever replace Nick Mertens.
In one post we have guys saying Bohl is irreplaceable as a coach and the next thread some of the same people say he and his staff can't recruit. This kid from San Diego was discovered at a Nebraska camp, I'm guessing he has some ability. He had the strongest arm at that camp from the sounds of it.

borderbison
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
[..........as for now, QB experience and depth really sucks![/QUOTE]

When Stauss led the show, Walker had far less experience than Mertens has going into the 08' season. Walker was a stud, no question but he's gone. Lets rally around these guys and make some noise this season. Hopefully Mertens won't have to play comeback kid as often.

90BISON
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Exactly! I've been hearing this same crap about various positions for 25 years, obviously not on a blog site (when did Algore invent it anyway?). Quick name more than one average or worse QB the Bison have had in say the last 25 years that was originally the starter, not a backup with no experience? I do agree with some of the other guys though about depth at QB. Parsons is really going to have to step it up a notch now also, since he will be #2 instead of #3, very real possiblity he could be the starter at some point during the season for one reason or another.

bisonpride2k
01-31-2008, 12:22 AM
The stats may not be eye popping but he is playing in the CIF Southern Section, AKA- USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc... recruiting hot bed. That level of high school play on a daily basis is a far cry i hate to say it from ND 9-man. Speed, speed, speed from all players.

NDSU1980
01-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Exactly! I've been hearing this same crap about various positions for 25 years, obviously not on a blog site (when did Algore invent it anyway?). Quick name more than one average or worse QB the Bison have had in say the last 25 years that was originally the starter, not a backup with no experience? I do agree with some of the other guys though about depth at QB. Parsons is really going to have to step it up a notch now also, since he will be #2 instead of #3, very real possiblity he could be the starter at some point during the season for one reason or another.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember when Bentrim was finished in 1986-everyone said the same thing. Look at the playoff runs we had after that. Remember, there's a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow, and a new Bison recruiting class at the start of the season. Things have a way of working out.

56BISON73
01-31-2008, 12:45 AM

90Bison
Well said. All teams lose good players every year. PL

ndsubison1
01-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I can barely lift my right arm cuz I did so many. (weights)

Baxter, you know I dont speak spanish.

Just thought I needed to lighten the mood. A lot of ppl seem pretty grumpy grouchy.

You can't judge the kid based on his stats. He is playing in one of the best football states in the nation. He looks pretty athletic. How about we wait till he plays in a Bison uniform to judge him...

BisonNeil
01-31-2008, 02:01 AM
90Bison
Well said. All teams lose good players every year. PL

Absolutely, they do, your right. But most have recruited players to replace them and that is the basic flaw in your logic and everyone else's who think there hasn't been a problem brewing at a football teams most important position.

When Bentrim left there were a number of QBs, same when Simdorn left, same when Beachy left. There was continuity, and we had solid backups. No one is saying that Mertens can't do it. That is NOT the point. The point is that this staff, like me saying it or not, has only recruited one stud QB since they have been here. ONE! ONE!! Get it? We have no depth behind him, no Fr, no RFr who might be able to do it like Walker did, or Bentrim, etc. And we have no QB recruit for two years running because they couldn't identify anyone special enough, that's what Bohl basically said last year on signing day when asked why no QB two years in a row. Really? You buy that? ND, SD, WI, MN, IL, TX don't have any QBs special enough to play for the Bison?

How can any of you see every other position on the football team recruited every single year while the most important position isn't recruited for two years and most of you think that is an okay deal?? I don't get it, I just don't.

Most of you get knots in your stomach wondering if Sauer will come to NDSU and are bummed when he goes to UNI and will post about that, or wringed your hands about Vetter last year. These are all positions we are deep in and yet you sit with your thumb up your bum and don't give a damn when it is mentioned that there is a possibility we go yet a third year with a QB. No, iinstead you pound sand up my arse. Is meth really that popular among some of you?

56BISON73
01-31-2008, 02:34 AM
Absolutely, they do, your right. But most have recruited players to replace them and that is the basic flaw in your logic and everyone else's who think there hasn't been a problem brewing at a football teams most important position.

When Bentrim left there were a number of QBs, same when Simdorn left, same when Beachy left. There was continuity, and we had solid backups. No one is saying that Mertens can't do it. That is NOT the point. The point is that this staff, like me saying it or not, has only recruited one stud QB since they have been here. ONE! ONE!! Get it? We have no depth behind him, no Fr, no RFr who might be able to do it like Walker did, or Bentrim, etc. And we have no QB recruit for two years running because they couldn't identify anyone special enough, that's what Bohl basically said last year on signing day when asked why no QB two years in a row. Really? You buy that? ND, SD, WI, MN, IL, TX don't have any QBs special enough to play for the Bison?

How can any of you see every other position on the football team recruited every single year while the most important position isn't recruited for two years and most of you think that is an okay deal?? I don't get it, I just don't.

Most of you get knots in your stomach wondering if Sauer will come to NDSU and are bummed when he goes to UNI and will post about that, or wringed your hands about Vetter last year. These are all positions we are deep in and yet you sit with your thumb up your bum and don't give a damn when it is mentioned that there is a possibility we go yet a third year with a QB. No, iinstead you pound sand up my arse. Is meth really that popular among some of you?

Ummmmmmmm there is no flaw in that logic as it was only a statement.
You seem to be wound a tad tight.:D PL

HerdBot
01-31-2008, 02:54 AM

Not only that he has a better supporting cast than Walker had. I'm confident he's going to be a stud. When Bentrim left nobody thought he could replaced. Enter Chris Simdorn.

HerdBot
01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
Ummmmmmmm there is no flaw in that logic as it was only a statement.
You seem to be wound a tad tight.:D PL

Edit: I meant to reply to SDBison...

Bohl said last year he didn't find any QB's who were over the top special. Guys like Walker and Mertens had phenomenal high school careers and it's really tough to find QB's of that caliber. So I agree that Bohl hasn't done a good job recruiting QB's since he signed Mertens in 2005 Maybe he still plans on recruiting another QB?

We're set for the next 2 years and will have capable backups in Jr Mitch Brekke and Sr Ryan Parsons.

When Mertens is done, I don't know what the plan is. Jose Mohler COULD be ready to start as a Sophmore. Does he have the same high school credentials as Steve Walker or Nick Mertens? Absolutely not. Does that mean he's not as good? No but my gut says he's not in the same league and I'm a bit nervous... but that's why they don't pay me to make decisions. Does Bohl plan on signing another QB this year or next year? Remember Walker started as a freshman. Of course Walker had a ridiculously good resume.

All this QB talk made me curious enough to research the other QB's on the roster. Walker and Mertens were GOOOOOOD in high school! Before them we had Stauss who wasn't too shabby either. Check it out.

MITCH BREKE
HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated with honors from Maple Grove High School ... Two-time honorable mention all-state player, who passed for 4,479 yards and 44 TDs in prep career for coach Craig Hansen ... MVP of Minnesota prep all-star game ... Led Maple Grove to an 8-3 record and section runner-up finish as a senior ... In 2004, completed 82-of-164 passes for 1,377 yards and 15 TDs ... Also rushed 73 times for 253 yards and four TDs ... Two-time all-conference selection and honorable mention all-league pick as a sophomore ... Rated No. 1 junior (dual threat) QB in Minnesota by Minnesotapreps.com ... In 2003, completed 87-of-168 passes for 1,731 yards with 22 TDs and six interceptions ... Passed for 356 yards and five TDs vs. Blaine High School during junior year ... Also rushed 42 times for 188 yards and five TDs ... Two-year starter and letterwinner in baseball for Maple Grove

RYAN PARSONS
HIGH SCHOOL: All-conference, all-metro, all-KARE 11 and second team all-state for Blaine High School and coach Shannon Gerrety ... Team went 10-1 and reached the state quarterfinals ... Conference offensive MVP ... Ran for 760 yards and 14 TDs and passed for 1,033 yards and nine scores ... Recorded a 60 percent completion ratio ... Two-time all-state performer in the 300 hurdles ...Three-time conference champ in the 110 high hurdles, two-time in the 300 hurdles ... All-conference in the long jump twice ...

NICK MERTENS
2004 Associated Press Player of the Year and finalist for Minnesota’s "Mr. Football" after leading East Grand Forks High School to the Class AAA state championship and 14-0 record ... First team Associated Press all-state quarterback for head coach Bruce Nelson ... Completed 150-of-242 passes for 2,459 yards, 36 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushed for 824 yards and 20 TDs on 171 carries ... Also handled punting, PAT and kickoff duties, averaging 35.6 yards on 28 punts ... Converted 26 PATs, four two-pointers and one field goal ... Credited with 144 tackles including 44 solos at strong safety ... Had three interceptions and five pass breakups ... Forced four fumbles and recovered three including one for a TD ... Two-time Northern Lakes Conference MVP (2003-04) ... Three-year all-conference pick ... Wendy’s Heisman finalist ... 2004 Grand Forks Herald and East Grand Forks Exponet Fall Athlete of the Year ... Three-time all-Grand Forks Herald team pick ... East Grand Forks went 31-4 during career ... During three-year career, completed 291-of-528 passes for 5,243 yards, 59 TDs and 21 interceptions ... Rushed for 1,846 yards and 45 TDs on 413 carries (4.47 ypc) ... Averaged 34.6 yards on 87 career punts and 44.7 yards on 147 kickoffs ... On defense, credited with 242 tackles including 96 solos and 2.5 sacks ... Finished with six interceptions, seven pass breakups, seven forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries ... On the basketball court, four-year starter and East Grand Forks’ all-time leading scorer ... Earned all-state second team honors last season ... Three-time all-city pick ... In track & field, competed in the triple jump (40’), 110 high hurdles (:16.5) and 300 hurdles (:43.5) ... PERSONAL: Born Sept. 13, 1986 ... Major field of study is business ... Lists

STEVE WALKER
... Illinois Offensive Player of the Year and Powerbar National Player of the Week ... WGN Radio Player of the Month ... All-time area Passing leader and third all-time on the Illinois prep passing charts ... Completed 268 of 462 passes (58 percent) for 3,986 yards and 34 TDs as a senior, guiding Lockport to a state championship ... Combined for 5,986 yards passing and 53 TDs over his final two seasons ... Also competed in baseball

56BISON73
01-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Gabe
Im a little confued here. What does my post have to do with yours????PL

HerdBot
01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Gabe
Im a little confued here. What does my post have to do with yours????PL

I clicked Edit... I mean to reply to SD Bison

lakesbison
01-31-2008, 05:06 AM
Neil. .others . . . . I PROMISE YOU that BOHL knows that Mertens Will Be A Star For 2 Years . . . . Ok? relax, if my man jose works out in 2010 . great, if not . we.ll get a fbs transfer . . . . LOOK AT MERTENS STATS! D A M . ! stay classy

CarringtonBison
01-31-2008, 05:25 AM
Its the pleats in the pants.

DONT ACT LIKE YOU ARENT IMPRESSED

nice discussion, but I will reserve judgement until the young man has actually put the uniform on. Give the kid a break. he may be the next coming or may flop, who knows. In three years, whoevers side was right can come back here and say... see I told ya.

I am worried about qb depth as well. Lack of depth is a concern, any year for any position. If you all want to give examples look at corner last year- we were shallow, but they stood up and did great. now it seems to be one of the deepest positions.

Cripes, everyone needs to take a pill sit back and relax. The coaches have gotten us to a potential national championship year coming up with the talent we have. Give them some credit. I think they have done a wonderful job and deserve a little slack.

microrant over

ndsubison1
01-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, what if this kid is reading all of our posts on here? I would feel very welcomed if I was him...

NDSUstudent
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Some people just can't get over the measurables, if a player isn't a specific height or weight they don't want him. I'll tell you right now that Walker hardly measures up to what is an ideal QB in terms of measurables but anybody who has seen the guy play, walks away very impressed.

So let me ask those who are mad because this kid isn't 6'4, have you ever seen him play?

Flintstone
01-31-2008, 12:42 PM
We will now have 4 QB's on the roster. Look around at other teams, that is the number you want on your roster. 1 sr, 2 jr, 1 fr. I would guess they will look for another one next year. There is not a lack of depth at qb. There is a lack of experience but not a lack of depth.

WarBison
01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Saw this on ESPN. From the Forum but still nice to see....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3222487

90BISON
01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
To those of you that think everyone is wound a little tight around here, it's because they all wish it was August and the herd was in Fall Camp.:nod:

NDSUstudent
01-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Found this article....

La Costa QB chooses North Dakota State
By: SCOTT BAIR - Staff Writer

Jose Mohler didn't want to commit right away. North Dakota State University had just offered a full scholarship to the La Costa Canyon High quarterback, but Mohler wanted to mull it over before making a final decision.

It was near freezing during his recruiting trip and the school was a long way from home, but the Bisons were also one of the best NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision schools in the nation. At some point during the flight back home, Mohler arrived at a decision.

"I just hit me all of a sudden," Mohler said. "I was sitting on the plane and I thought, 'I can totally see myself playing there.' "

Monday night, Mohler made it official with a verbal commitment to play for North Dakota State -- ranked No. 6 overall with a 10-1 record in 2007 -- next season.

"It was quite frigid when I went there," Mohler said. "But other than that, it was a great fit. The players were all really great, they play in a dome and the coaches said I'd have a chance to contribute pretty soon. I can't wait to get started."

BisonNeil
02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Neil. .others . . . . I PROMISE YOU that BOHL knows that Mertens Will Be A Star For 2 Years . . . . Ok? relax, if my man jose works out in 2010 . great, if not . we.ll get a fbs transfer . . . . LOOK AT MERTENS STATS! D A M . ! stay classy

Hopefully you can actually understand what you read. I wonder because evertime a discussion about the future of QB comes up, despite people saying things like "post-Mertens" or "for 2010 and beyond" you have to make it about Mertens and remind us how good he is. That is NOT the point.

I have never voiced questions about Mertens. I do question the depth behind him, wonder what will happen if he does get hurt, and am concerned that we waited three years for the recruit from CA. FBS transfer, okay, I'll give you that as a possibility, but why aren't the Bison developing their own talent. No other position has been ignored like QB and the coaching staff have done an unbelievable job upgrading every position, except QB.

So Lakes, one last miserable time, I for one am not questioning Mertens!

Flintstone
02-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Hopefully you can actually understand what you read. I wonder because evertime a discussion about the future of QB comes up, despite people saying things like "post-Mertens" or "for 2010 and beyond" you have to make it about Mertens and remind us how good he is. That is NOT the point.

I have never voiced questions about Mertens. I do question the depth behind him, wonder what will happen if he does get hurt, and am concerned that we waited three years for the recruit from CA. FBS transfer, okay, I'll give you that as a possibility, but why aren't the Bison developing their own talent. No other position has been ignored like QB and the coaching staff have done an unbelievable job upgrading every position, except QB.

So Lakes, one last miserable time, I for one am not questioning Mertens!

We have a Senior and a Junior as the two backups. I don't know what you are expecting for more depth out of our backups. None of the QB's on the roster have seen significant time. Depth is not the problem, experience is. This happens when you lose a guy who started for 3 1/2 years. It would'nt matter if we recruited a stud QB last year, he'd have the same amount of experience as the others on the roster when the year starts next year.

56BISON73
02-01-2008, 02:26 AM
We have a Senior and a Junior as the two backups. I don't know what you are expecting for more depth out of our backups. None of the QB's on the roster have seen significant time. Depth is not the problem, experience is. This happens when you lose a guy who started for 3 1/2 years. It would'nt matter if we recruited a stud QB last year, he'd have the same amount of experience as the others on the roster when the year starts next year.

Flintstone
You nailed it.
Now what other position will someone get their panties in a wad about?:D
PL

sambini
02-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Welcome Jesse to NDSU++++++++

BlueBisonRock
02-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Flintstone
You nailed it.
Now what other position will someone get their panties in a wad about?:D
PL

Well, perhaps the Waterboy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Waterboy_poster.jpg

;)

lakesbison
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome Jesse to NDSU++++++++ SAMBINI???? HUH?? you bump your head??? ha ha ha.

Neil. Ok... thats fair.. but MERTENS WILL ROCK! NO DOUBT!

STAY CLASSY!!!

SDbison
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Many here have seen Parsons, Mertens and Brecke demonstrate their skills in practice, at the Spring game, and for a small part on game day. To this point none of them look impressive at QB and there will be a huge drop off when the new guy steps in. OK, I will give the chosen for next year a chance to get up to speed and prove himself, but overall the stable of QB's does not contain anybody to get excited about (sorry Lakes). Depth doesn't mean crap unless you can put in the backup(s) and not miss a beat. Not sure for overall QB performance Brecke or Parsons would even be half as good as Walker. Mertens might be able to step it up, but I think if he got hurt the Bison would be in big trouble.

MN_BISON
02-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Many here have seen Parsons, Mertens and Brecke demonstrate their skills in practice, at the Spring game, and for a small part on game day. To this point none of them look impressive at QB and there will be a huge drop off when the new guy steps in. OK, I will give the chosen for next year a chance to get up to speed and prove himself, but overall the stable of QB's does not contain anybody to get excited about (sorry Lakes). Depth doesn't mean crap unless you can put in the backup(s) and not miss a beat. Not sure for overall QB performance Brecke or Parsons would even be half as good as Walker. Mertens might be able to step it up, but I think if he got hurt the Bison would be in big trouble.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/josejuanmontiel/blogger/robin.jpg

Adrian Cronauer (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000245/): You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

It's a joke!

TransAmBison
02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
http://usuarios.lycos.es/josejuanmontiel/blogger/robin.jpg

Adrian Cronauer (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000245/): You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

It's a joke!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CarringtonBison
02-01-2008, 05:08 PM

well if they are all as bad as you assume they are, there shouldn't be any dropoff at all from #1 qb to #3 qb. they all suck according to you.

It is easy to be down on the qb situation, just like the rb situation last year. Stop knocking what we have and see what happens. For all we know, one may emerge and next year in the offseason we will all hail them as the next coming. Everyone needs to relax a bit and try to ENJOY what we have right now. it wasn't long ago (5 years) when everything was awful. I certainly don't have the goggles on, but I am trying to appreciate what we have at the present time. This is a glorious time in Bison history and we need to embrace it, not piss and moan over small details we have little knowledge or control over. And no, SD, this is not entirely directed at you. I find a lot of your attitudes and posts funny and enlightening/entertaining. Just general comments.

TransAmBison
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I've joked around with SDBison's posts, but I do find his worries about quarterback somewhat valid. I'm nervous about Mertens, but I do think he has a lot of potential. I don't think SDBison is arguing that. I am nervous about second string. Parsons has a ton of ability, but he has been a huge disappointment in my book. When he has played he has all but refused to throw the ball. When he has thrown I think he has a great arm. He just won't use it. That would make me nervous if he was needed to run the offense. Brecke looked okay in the spring game when I saw him. Ok. Just ok. If we looked back to last spring and the info that Hallstrom/Kolpack gave us we would not find glowing remarks for any of them. They all were ok, but none were taking control. I believe Parsons would have gotten the nod if he would have actually passed the ball.

There, that is enough serious talk. Better go to my smack thread and post a joke or two.

bisonhusker
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I guess I am just hearing what coaches say....that they are adding stuff to the playbook to accomodate Walker's arm and athleticism. Kid played hoops for Miles last year. He is a stud. If they tell me that, I will take their word for it.

Remember his stats last year when he played at MVS? he was like 80% with a TD pass. He is a REALLY good leader and athlete. Will he be perfect? We don't know, but to be critical of a kid who has learned for 4 years under the best we have had, had the same coordinator/coaches for a long time is bizarre to me. Kid was Mr. Football in MN. If we got that kid every year, we would have some great talent at NDSU.

I love how everyone is ready to announce DJ the next Heisman winner but won't at least give Mertins a shot.....and I love DJ...but I guess we just have rose colored glasses on.

bisonmike2
02-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I guess I am just hearing what coaches say....that they are adding stuff to the playbook to accomodate Walker's arm and athleticism. Kid played hoops for Miles last year. He is a stud. If they tell me that, I will take their word for it.

Remember his stats last year when he played at MVS? he was like 80% with a TD pass. He is a REALLY good leader and athlete. Will he be perfect? We don't know, but to be critical of a kid who has learned for 4 years under the best we have had, had the same coordinator/coaches for a long time is bizarre to me. Kid was Mr. Football in MN. If we got that kid every year, we would have some great talent at NDSU.

I love how everyone is ready to announce DJ the next Heisman winner but won't at least give Mertins a shot.....and I love DJ...but I guess we just have rose colored glasses on.

You mean Merten's, right?

imabison
02-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I am at a loss that anyone can make the statements about how bad the quarter backs are based on what they say 1 year ago. The players are 1 year old, have had a full year to strengthen their game, a full year to be coached, and their knowledge enhanced.

NDS has a great set of coaches, who know how to work with players, I think we need to give them the benefit of the doubt.

90BISON
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
This thread is starting to flirt dangerously close to "mental masturbation". I think I will coin that term, think I stole it from Sammy Hagar, or the like, bein's somebody already has "douchebaggery".:D

Jdubs21
02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Carringtonbison have u ever seen Mertens play or even his stats? or parsons for that matter? both play with good confidence and dont seem to to be a nervous wreck out there, look at their stats which are very impressive for gettin 30 snaps a year....if your gonna be hating on our players, go be a UND fan

NorthernBison
02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Carringtonbison have u ever seen Mertens play or even his stats? or parsons for that matter? both play with good confidence and dont seem to to be a nervous wreck out there, look at their stats which are very impressive for gettin 30 snaps a year....if your gonna be hating on our players, go be a UND fan

I'm thinking your aim was a little off with that post there dude. He sounded pretty supportive.

Jdubs21
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
"To this point none of them look impressive at QB and there will be a huge drop off when the new guy steps in. "

that sounded opposite of supportive...

NorthernBison
02-01-2008, 11:23 PM
"To this point none of them look impressive at QB and there will be a huge drop off when the new guy steps in. "

I don't see that quote from CarringtonBison. I assumed you were taking him to task for post #83. I read that as supportive overall and the first part of the post I took as sarcasm. I'll let him defend himself.

extremerouge
02-02-2008, 12:25 AM

he was quoting SDBison there...

BlueBisonRock
02-02-2008, 02:06 AM

I agree with your comment. It was however, pointed in the wrong direction. Carrington is driving home the same point.

There are a couple others who feel our rose colored glasses are getting in the way of objectivity. Perhaps you could direct your comment in their direction.

In the mean time, I will support you by repeating a comment made earlier in the week.

From a rose colored glasses point of view (I actually wear photogrey) - Chill out! Life in college ball has key players graduating every year. A big part of my Bison experience has been to look at the positives and expect teams to deliver. Brewster went 1-11 last year. Bohl and the Bison went 10-1.

CarringtonBison
02-02-2008, 02:45 AM

huh???? i never said anything to that regard. i was making the point that they have not done anything for anyone to be making comments on how they may perform. i was backing them up. i think you need to reread the post. there was an overtone of sarcasm. go back and read for several pages and see that there are others hating. i feel cautiously confident in our QB situation, unlike others on the board. apology will be accepted

CarringtonBison
02-02-2008, 02:49 AM

go back and see that that quote came from SDBison. i quoted him in my response. i am supportive of the team in general and don't feel that 18-23 year old kids who play ball for my entertainment deserve to be berated as happens here. Hell, a high school senior who isn't even in our program is being doubted, which is ridiculous. You can point fingers and say what you want, but you are wrong!! All it takes is a easy review of the posts to see that!

SDbison
02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
go back and see that that quote came from SDBison. i quoted him in my response. i am supportive of the team in general and don't feel that 18-23 year old kids who play ball for my entertainment deserve to be berated as happens here. Hell, a high school senior who isn't even in our program is being doubted, which is ridiculous. You can point fingers and say what you want, but you are wrong!! All it takes is a easy review of the posts to see that!
Wow, some of you are letting your homerism get to you. If you objectively look at the 3 QB's that have backed up Walker for the past couple years none of them are impressive. If you watched the Spring games you would see none of them approached the confidence and abilities that Walker demonstated. I am hoping that with another year of maturity and one half a game of experience Mertens can step in and prove he has some great things to contribute. As for Parsons, he always seems to jump the gun and take off running. So far Brekke has not shown much either. OK, maybe it is possible any one of these three could suddenly surprise us and become a great QB. I hope that is what happens. As a fan, Alumnus and teammaker I am concerned about a post Walker letdown. Maybe I was hoping that there would be a legit transfer from an FBS school, or a good sized QB from the region who make a commitment to NDSU. Just seems strange how it took until the last week before signing day to get a recruit from San Diego given NDSU's high FCS ranking. I suppose Jose could end up being as good if not better than Walker. Maybe I have my doubts, but there is nothing wrong with voicing them here. I never made personal atacks on the players or coaches. If one of you blind faith posters could come up with something other than the coaches will make it happen we might have some good dialogue. Maybe someone who was at the Mississippi Valley State game could comment on how well Mertens took command or how sharp his passes were? Maybe someone has inside info on how Parsons is working on staying in the pocket, etc? Going into 2008 the QB situation will be the #1 question mark. Apparently this topic is taboo at Bisonville.

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
None of the QB's that backup a 3 1/2 year starter look impressive at any program, unless your USC.

Which evil would you want to deal with? Getting a special player like Walker, and then dealing with aftermath? Or not having a special guy like Walker, and having a better idea of what you're going to get for QB's the following year?

I'll take Walker any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays.

SDbison
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
None of the QB's that backup a 3 1/2 year starter look impressive at any program, unless your USC.

Which evil would you want to deal with? Getting a special player like Walker, and then dealing with aftermath? Or not having a special guy like Walker, and having a better idea of what you're going to get for QB's the following year?

I'll take Walker any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays.
Sorry, these 3 QB's have been around for a while and they are way behind where Walker was at the same time. Yes, I expect some dropoff due to lack of experience......but there is a bit more than that here. Also, maybe since NDSU is willing to take chances on 6 foot tall QB's they might try one who is 6'3. And don't say only FBS teams get QB's that tall. There are a bunch of them in FCS and DII. SDSU seems to be able to find a couple. Oh yeah, Walker was special......but just think if NDSU had a QB like the one who played for Delaware?

CarringtonBison
02-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow, some of you are letting your homerism get to you. If you objectively look at the 3 QB's that have backed up Walker for the past couple years none of them are impressive. If you watched the Spring games you would see none of them approached the confidence and abilities that Walker demonstated. I am hoping that with another year of maturity and one half a game of experience Mertens can step in and prove he has some great things to contribute. As for Parsons, he always seems to jump the gun and take off running. So far Brekke has not shown much either. OK, maybe it is possible any one of these three could suddenly surprise us and become a great QB. I hope that is what happens. As a fan, Alumnus and teammaker I am concerned about a post Walker letdown. Maybe I was hoping that there would be a legit transfer from an FBS school, or a good sized QB from the region who make a commitment to NDSU. Just seems strange how it took until the last week before signing day to get a recruit from San Diego given NDSU's high FCS ranking. I suppose Jose could end up being as good if not better than Walker. Maybe I have my doubts, but there is nothing wrong with voicing them here. I never made personal atacks on the players or coaches. If one of you blind faith posters could come up with something other than the coaches will make it happen we might have some good dialogue. Maybe someone who was at the Mississippi Valley State game could comment on how well Mertens took command or how sharp his passes were? Maybe someone has inside info on how Parsons is working on staying in the pocket, etc? Going into 2008 the QB situation will be the #1 question mark. Apparently this topic is taboo at Bisonville.

SD, I agree with you. QB will be the biggest question mark. I am a more of lets wait and see what happens. All of spring ball and fall two a days working with the first offense should help out these guys, but after walker it is natural to expect a letdown. I have catious optimism. I am not disagreeing with you, just waiting to see what happens.

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Sorry, these 3 QB's have been around for a while and they are way behind where Walker was at the same time. Yes, I expect some dropoff due to lack of experience......but there is a bit more than that here. Also, maybe since NDSU is willing to take chances on 6 foot tall QB's they might try one who is 6'3. And don't say only FBS teams get QB's that tall. There are a bunch of them in FCS and DII. SDSU seems to be able to find a couple. Oh yeah, Walker was special......but just think if NDSU had a QB like the one who played for Delaware?

Of course they're way behind Walker. Walker's playing and progressing, and they weren't.

If a QB is 6"3" and has "talent", he's getting looks by several mid major FBS+teams.

FCS and D2 are flooded with 6'3" QB's who don't have talent, but have been coached up, which with the benefit of hindsight plays a more important role than talent.

Yea there are exceptions, but let's be real, just because we're NDSU doesn't mean we're privy to those exceptions.

I would hardly consider SDSU QB's "talents". Then again, if they're 6'3", who cares if they can actually play the game. They tall.

SDbison
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Of course they're way behind Walker. Walker's playing and progressing, and they weren't.

If a QB is 6"3" and has "talent", he's getting looks by several mid major FBS+teams.

FCS and D2 are flooded with 6'3" QB's who don't have talent, but have been coached up, which with the benefit of hindsight plays a more important role than talent.

Yea there are exceptions, but let's be real, just because we're NDSU doesn't mean we're privy to those exceptions.

I would hardly consider SDSU QB's "talents". Then again, if they're 6'3", who cares if they can actually play the game. They tall.
So you agree with me.......maybe one NDSU QB recruit could have size and be coached into playing better at the position. Seems that NDSU is willing to do this with one or two of the 6 foot QB's?
I take it you are being a smart ass with the last comment. Those so-so SDSU QB's burned NDSU a couple years ago and led their team to victory this past year.

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
So you agree with me.......maybe one NDSU QB recruit could have size and be coached into playing better at the position. Seems that NDSU is willing to do this with one or two of the 6 foot QB's?
I take it you are being a smart ass with the last comment. Those so-so SDSU QB's burned NDSU a couple years ago and led their team to victory this past year.

I don't understand why 6'3" makes them better. I'm sure the Walker height argument has been brought up so I won't even go there.

You stated in an earlier post you didn't understand why Bohl wasn't going after 6'3" QB's "with talent".

I do agree that FCS and D2 are flooded with coached up 6'3" QB's, but I would hardly call the majority of them talented, especially coming out of high school. I also think size is overrated at the QB position in FCS.

Ryan Berry for SDSU last year was 14-23 for 104 yards.

Andy kardoes was benched 3 years ago, and 2 years ago threw for 22-38 338, 2 TD's 2 interceptions in a loss. His stats throughout the year was above average at best. Not impressed by their 6'3" QB's.

X-Factor
02-03-2008, 02:13 AM

Just a FYI. Joe Flacco transfered from Pit. Talent+size like that rarely if ever lands in the hands of a FCS team straight out of HS. I've been trying to tell this for a while now, but NDSU can also get transfers and they don't even have to sign on signing day. Take a chill pill and trust Bohl's recruiting. He must be doing something right to turn in the records he has had the last few years. 10-1 x2 doesn't happen by mistake especially when the list of victories includes 3 FBS teams all on the road.

sambini
02-03-2008, 02:20 AM
All I can say is Coach Vigen does a great job with our quarterbacks. We will be fine. Years ago when Mark Speral graduated. Was Mark Nellermoe going to do the job. Yes he did lead the Bison to the National Championship in 1981. Every year you wonder if this athlete will step up etc. I have great faith in this staff. These kids they recruit are great young men and winners on and off the field.

Gully
02-03-2008, 02:52 AM
No worries, if Mertens isn't good (I think he will be) we'll put in Parsons and run the split back veer with our 10 RBs!!

tjbison
02-03-2008, 03:00 AM
No worries, if Mertens isn't good (I think he will be) we'll put in Parsons and run the split back veer with our 10 RBs!!

Hell Yeah!!:cheers:

Bison53
02-03-2008, 06:25 AM
How about direct snap to DJ

Bison4Life302
02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm sure Mertens is 6'2. That's close enough to 6'3 for me! I don't think the height is all it is cracked up to be anyway. I think Walker was barely 6' but they listed him taller. Who cares. So many other things are more important than the height.

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Introducing Your #2 Qb!!!!

Jose Mohler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone Check On His Grades Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imabison
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Introducing Your #2 Qb!!!!

Jose Mohler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone Check On His Grades Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets leave checking on his grades to the complaince officer...

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Lets leave checking on his grades to the complaince officer...
That's just plain silly.

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
actually it doesnt matter.... dude starts college Fresh gradewise!.

he will play right away... especially now with brekke.. I have "PEOPLE" in San Diego.. aka.. Whale's Vagina... that tell me the kid is the real deal...

cant wait to see him chuck it deep....

PS> EVERYONE GO BACK AND WATCH HIS VIDEOS ON FIRST POST... GET TO KNOW JOSE!!!

NDSU1980
06-07-2008, 03:31 AM
That's just plain silly.

Heck, maybe lakes could tutor the kid if needed. I've always felt lakes has enough intelligence to spare. Why waste it all coming up with Bison cheers?

4mcruenomore
06-07-2008, 04:12 AM
I wonder how he will peform outside up north at the newly remodeled 35,000 seat Memorial Stadium when it's -10 deg. his senior year, or maybe his junior year???

LOL, I thought of that today and laughed.