PDA

View Full Version : The Summit is OK!!!

WePharm
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I really wonder why I ever bother reading the Forum sports columnist's articles. Every time Mr. McFeely writes about Bison Basketball and the Summit League its--'Well you know the Summit's not a very good conference' or 'No one will claim the Summit is a good conference' etc etc etc. Well----
Mr. McFeeley et al do you do any research? It took me just a couple taps of my mac keyboard to find out that:

1) The Summit rpi is rated 22 out of 32 conferences. Not too bad for the worst possible conference that no one cares about.
2) The Big Sky is rated at what? 24
3) NDSU, a transition school- rpi 200 out of 360. Not too shabby in my book. Mr. McFeeley would ask why anyone would want to leave that galaxy class of a conference, the old NCC, to be only 200 out of the top 360 D1.
4)Montana's RPI is 230- their record is terrible, like 7-11
5)Colorado State is 237 record 5-12, Wyoming is just as bad
6)Mid Major conferences- if you were to just consider the Mid Major conferences, the Summit would be in the middle of the pack. Say 10 of 20. Again not too bad. Not bad at all.
7)The Best Part--The Summit is going to get better and better. Why? Because of the addition of NDSU & SDSU.

devin45k
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Most media people have their head up their wazoo's nowadays. It seems like most reporters dont do any research on most of the subjects that they write about.

tjbison
01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Most newswriters like Mcfeely get paid to STIR THE POT, and Mcfeely gets under alot of peoples skin (including me) but I always end reading his column again! He sure gets it done:banghead:

bisonhusker
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Actually, according to the Dan Hammer show, the Summit League isn't "Connecting" with the Fargo community, and we all miss the NCC.

90BISON
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Actually, according to the Dan Hammer show, the Summit League isn't "Connecting" with the Fargo community, and we all miss the NCC.

Well, it must be true then.:D

RedRiver
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd say the Summit is Great!! The bottom line is that it is a DI Conference which NDSU & SDSU are members of, we have a conference home.

met1990
01-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Most newswriters like Mcfeely get paid to STIR THE POT, and Mcfeely gets under alot of peoples skin (including me) but I always end reading his column again! He sure gets it done:banghead:

When did McFeely become a "newswriter?" I swear his title was columnist.

Bisonguy
01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
When did McFeely become a "newswriter?" I swear his title was columnist.

The Forum Columnists (http://www.in-forum.com/columnists/)

roadwarrior
01-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I sure didn't expect that we would pack the BSA for every Summit game this season. It is going to take time for the casual fans to learn about these schools and teams. I don't think we are doing that badly in terms of attendance.

TheBisonator
01-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I sure didn't expect that we would pack the BSA for every Summit game this season. It is going to take time for the casual fans to learn about these schools and teams. I don't think we are doing that badly in terms of attendance.

Average attendance for all games so far is 3,038. Average for home conference games is 3,285. Sounds pretty good to me.

silkamilkamonico
01-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Our RPI is 200? Wasn't it much better last year, like 130 or something like that?

Is it just because we're playing in a conference now, and our schedule is tougher?

I guess that's a little surprising to me, but then again, we are just a little above .500.

I really don't have a clue on how the RPI works.

WRSDBison
01-29-2008, 05:19 AM
The only thing I am able to think of is that we beat Marquette last year when they were ranked 8th in one poll 9th in another. That boosted the RPI a bit. We have not played a ranked team at all this year.

Hammersmith
01-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Our RPI is 200? Wasn't it much better last year, like 130 or something like that?

Is it just because we're playing in a conference now, and our schedule is tougher?

I guess that's a little surprising to me, but then again, we are just a little above .500.

I really don't have a clue on how the RPI works.
That would be the key.

Ending RPIs: (non-DI games don't count)
2006: 223(12-12)
2007: 160(16-8)
2008: 193(9-9) so far

I think we actually made it into the top-100 last year, but that was early in the season when the numbers don't mean jack.

BTW, RPI is basically: 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage)

There are some modifiers thrown in regarding defeating top-10/25/50 teams and away wins help you more and home losses hurt extra. The NCAA makes little changes each year and keeps them secret just to keep everybody on their toes.

Oh, and I like www.kenpom.com for my RPI info. Ken's formula seems to be the closest to the NCAA. Simple site with a lot of data. Wish he did a women's RPI, though.

TheDoctor
01-29-2008, 06:52 AM
That would be the key.

Ending RPIs: (non-DI games don't count)
2006: 223(12-12)
2007: 160(16-8)
2008: 193(9-9) so far

I think we actually made it into the top-100 last year, but that was early in the season when the numbers don't mean jack.

BTW, RPI is basically: 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage)

There are some modifiers thrown in regarding defeating top-10/25/50 teams and away wins help you more and home losses hurt extra. The NCAA makes little changes each year and keeps them secret just to keep everybody on their toes.

Oh, and I like www.kenpom.com for my RPI info. Ken's formula seems to be the closest to the NCAA. Simple site with a lot of data. Wish he did a women's RPI, though.

HAMMER! The man with the numbers to backup everything!!!!!!!! ;)

HerdBot
01-30-2008, 03:56 AM

I read some of his stuff but it's not the reason I bought the Forum. i cancelled a few weeks ago and I read it for free on the web.

I like the Summitt league and I don't know why everyone is down on them. The games have been teriffic and the crowds have been big too. Hammer says that too? What do we expect he's the broadcaster for the Sue.

ndsubison1
01-30-2008, 05:40 AM

I dont read his articles cuz college has basically ruined reading for me currently