CaBisonFan
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
By the year 2095

roadwarrior
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Gentlemen, get your checkbooks!

onbison09
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't know how feasible that is in the near future but hey push the envelope. (After I make like a billion dollars I may donate :)) I'm not too worried about St. Cloud State, etc. but we may need to. Great post as always. How much is a retractible roof anyway? (just out of curiosity) Where's Boone Pickins when ya need him?

Jdubs21
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
when i win the lottery next month, half is gonna go toward new stadium projects for both football and basketball....haha

HerdBot
01-27-2008, 08:12 PM
If it hasn't already begun...there needs to be a meeting of the 'powers,' with serious discussions about a new football stadium. I realize that this is a bit of a dead-horse discussion...but it's my belief that the discussion needs to stay on the top of the burner. It can't be allowed to fade away.

An approach that resembles Cal Davis' plans would be fitting. They are looking ahead to the not-so-distant future concerning their stadium. It would appear that they are aiming for another jump to DI-A if they can keep the momentum going. The game in California is in DI-A. Cal Davis would like to be another Fresno State...and to play other DI-A programs in the state and region. In other words, they would like to be on the California map. They exist in a different environment...where lower-division schools aren't on the public radar. So that's different than the market that the Bison play in. It's a little different situation.

What I fear is another 'surge' by the St. Cloud, Minnesota State (hate the name), Bemidji State, Winona St. types of schools. In terms of recruiting, and other factors, we want to stay ahead of the curve on these schools...and with some of our...ah...closer friends to the north and south. A few of the schools that I've specifically named, after all, were involved in voting down the scholarship levels in DII...especially St. Cloud & Mankato State (there, that's better). Don't underestimate the desire, or the ability, of these schools to follow us up the ladder. They think of themselves as being our 'equal.'

While the appeal of a retractable stadium is extremely high, it may not be practical financially...ever. A 'Ralph' would have to come along to make something this big achievable. I could be wrong about this, but I believe that there are some 'Ralphs' in hiding, waiting for NDSU to ask...and to prove that they are serious about getting, and remaining serious.

The appeal of Bison Football will only grow in the region if people stay focused. President Chapman, wanting a true DI university in all aspects, will push for this type of thing until he is no longer employed by the university...but while we have him, he is the 'perfect' person to promote this vision.

The financial and political environment surrounding Bison Football is ripe. The demand for tickets to see UNI, Youngstown, Southern Illinois, SDSU, and others in the Gateway will bust the seams of the Fargodome. For now, that is the ultimate dream...and it is a reality because of the caliber of the Bison teams during the last two seasons.

But really folks...the dome was never built for the Bison. It was built 'because' of the Bison. It was a city project, with one or two people using the Bison as the catalyst for promoting it. The idea went against the grain, partially because it came from a rather strange source. It's my belief that if the leadership at NDSU came out with a solid plan for a stadium, that the timing would be perfect.

I know...it's easy for me to talk about this...because I wouldn't be paying for it. But if a new stadium were to become a reality...and if the taxes were to go up...I would (at the minimum) pledge to contribute what a typical home owner in the FM area would pay.

We need to stay ahead of our neighbors. The plans need to be more real than our neighbors. If we want to be the Big Boys on the block...then we have to make plans that will allow us to stay there. Fargo has the political and financial muscle, unlike most surrounding communities in the region.

NDSU isn't into empty promises. As Chapman & Tayler have shown us...it is easy to underestimate the potential of North Dakota State and its programs. It's tempting to just sit back and watch now...but my point, is that sitting back in terms of keeping the vision could be hazardous at this point in time. For sure, we're going to love the Gateway, the teams, and the challenges. Absolutely, let's focus on being a winner in our new conference. But also, for sure, let's focus on maintaining and building upon what has already taken place. We 'cannot' afford to allow the political momentum to slow down...or to stop.

We've discussed the recruiting battles that are emerging, and some of the promises that are being made. Perhaps we should make our promises 'real,' which is the Bison way of doing things.

The size of the stadium is debatable. I'm thinking somewhere in the 25 to 30 thousand range. Like Cal Davis, perhaps Building Phase I could be for 25 thousand, with the capability of adding another 5 or 10 thousand if/when needed.

You all know me to be a pie-in-the-sky optimist. I predicted a 10-1 finish in 2006. I didn't really know. It was purely my optimism...and a guess. At the time, my attitude was that if I was wrong...so what. I also predicted an 11-0 finish in 2007, but warned of the dangers of SDSU, and worried about it. I'll go out on a limb again and say that the Bison will lose one game in the Gateway in 2008, win or tie for the conference title, and advance to the playoffs. I could be disappointed, but after watching films of DJ, and knowing who's coming back...I think that the we're going to be scary-good.

But on the more pessimistic side, I also predict that if we don't get on the new stadium wagon, that we may be disappointed in the future. I know that there is a 'Ralph' out there...or several people that could team up to accomplish something similar. A retractable roof 'is not' 100 percent impossible. This would truly be an 'if you build it, they will come' scenario.

By they, I'm refering to recruits...major fan support...and someday...a rise into the world of DI-A...after we have done our business in the Gateway and perhaps won a national title or two. I'm talking about 10 to 15 years of Gateway and FCS competition.

It's partially me...but I blame the Bison for some of my optimism. They've taught me well since the early 60s. It's such a burdern to carry around...being a Bison fan...wrong!

I'm loving what's happening in Bisonville. I want it to stay that way.

30,000 people in Minneapolis. That, was astounding. It was a litmus test for fan excitement. The test came up 'positive.'

Good foresight. Everyone needs a plan.

A retractable roof sounds cool but it's unnecessary given the fact we only play 6 times per year and we'd be lucky to use it twice. I love the dome and it's a great place to watch a game. There isn't a bad seat in the house.
It's one of the best stadiums in the FCS and it's a great recruting tool.

I think we're many years away from needing a substantially larger stadium so we need to do more with what we have and make things better. I think we could probably squeeze 20,000+ in there by taking advantage of the corners and expaning standing room only.

We could use beter lighting. We could use some yellow and green seats. We could display the Championship banners more prominently. How about more fans wearing yellow!

More importantly, we need to sell more season tickets before we take a look at a larger building. Once we get a season ticket waiting list... then we can start looking torward the future.

But the main area we lose focus on is academics. We tend to forget that most students don't have NFL aspirations and academics is the #1 priority. Expand our academic programs and we will get more students and more money. We're already doing that and we've surpassed UND in size.

In time, the exposure throughout the Gateway territorries and games against Big Ten schools will help us out a lot!

TheDoctor
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Ca--- no offense ---I love your passion for the Bison ----- but WOW sometimes when I read a post of yours I wonder how many Red Bulls you had to drink to become concerned with such an issue, think everything up, and write it all down. I agree with others, selling a considerably higher amount of season tickets is the 1st and foremost piece and then selling out all 6 games is #2. ;)

Gully
01-27-2008, 11:22 PM
I like the forward thinking. We'll need another stadium eventually but it's probably at least 10-15 years out. Never too early to start planning though. Although expensive, a retractable roof would be great. I remember some playoff games outside that were brutally cold.

BigBison
01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I think a new basketball arena is goal number one right now. 6,000 seats and expanded to 8,000. Sorry but I hate the BSA.
Then we need the BSA renovated.
Then maybe we can think new football stadium.

roadwarrior
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
An upgrade for softball will also happen before a new football stadium.

TransAmBison
01-28-2008, 12:15 AM
CaBison I applaud your enthusiasm and agree with a lot of points you make here in your posts, but I have to disagree with this one. Thinking a new stadium is even slightly in the realm of possibility is silly. This of course, is just my humble opinion without any inside sources.

Flame away y'all.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Ca--- no offense ---I love your passion for the Bison ----- but WOW sometimes when I read a post of yours I wonder how many Red Bulls you had to drink to become concerned with such an issue, think everything up, and write it all down. I agree with others, selling a considerably higher amount of season tickets is the 1st and foremost piece and then selling out all 6 games is #2. ;)

Well you know...I live in the land of fruits and nuts. It comes with the territory.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 12:22 AM
I think a new basketball arena is goal number one right now. 6,000 seats and expanded to 8,000. Sorry but I hate the BSA.
Then we need the BSA renovated.
Then maybe we can think new football stadium.

I totally agree...but I'm talking about putting this on the burner.

Yo
01-28-2008, 01:05 AM
CaBison I applaud your enthusiasm and agree with a lot of points you make here in your posts, but I have to disagree with this one. Thinking a new stadium is even slightly in the realm of possibility is silly. This of course, is just my humble opinion without any inside sources.

Flame away y'all.

No flames here, I am in total agreement.

NDSUstudent
01-28-2008, 01:38 AM
To even get talk of a new stadium NDSU would have to....

Sell the Dome out every year for at least 4 or 5 years

Build a waiting list for season tickets......

Somebody or some group would also have to step up and put up a big donation towards the project...

That said.....Right now there is no reason to leave the Fargodome. You need to have people demanding more seats to get things rolling. You don't invest perhaps upwards of a 100 million dollars in a new faciltiy based on one season of strong ticket sales. I can see the day coming when such a discussion may need to happen but for now, we need to focus on selling more season tickets and packing the Fargodome.

Hammersmith
01-28-2008, 01:47 AM
I think we're a minimum of five years out from even beginning the discussion, with one caveat: possible location. Other than making sure we don't stick a new building on the best location for a future stadium, I'm of the opinion that seriously talking about a new football stadium now only detracts from the more important needs of basketball, wrestling, indoor track, volleyball, softball, soccer, and an indoor practice facility with a cherry on top.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 01:48 AM
I don't know how feasible that is in the near future but hey push the envelope. (After I make like a billion dollars I may donate :)) I'm not too worried about St. Cloud State, etc. but we may need to. Great post as always. How much is a retractible roof anyway? (just out of curiosity) Where's Boone Pickins when ya need him?

Thanks onbison09.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 01:52 AM
An upgrade for softball will also happen before a new football stadium.

I should have included this in my original post. If there were ever a retractable roof...I would suggest that the stadium be configured for indoor baseball, softball, & track.

I would definitely make the seating alignment favorable for football.

If our other outdoor sports are to compete with teams in slightly warmer climates...this would put them on a level playing field...if not moreso.

Oh yes...it would cost a ton of money. I agree with your comment about softball. Good point.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 02:01 AM

Flame away y'all.

I respect your writing here also...but I think that since the university has taken the plunge into the world of DI athletics...and if it wants to be one of the 'muscle' programs...that a large vision for future facilities is very necessary.

My real pie-in-za-sky 'pipedream' would be to have a retractable roof stadium built for football, baseball, softball, track, and soccer. Build it for football first, with the seating sightlines configured to be optimal for football.

Our other outdoor programs are going to be behind the 8-ball because of the shorter season up north.

No time to settle in, in terms of dreaming and planning. I'm talking about a 10 to 15 year plan...if not longer.

I'd like to see NDSU be a 'gem' program in all areas...like the president's vision. In sports, the presence of an out-of-this-world facility would put NDSU where it should be.

If UND can build a hockey arena with most of its materials from exotic locations...have green leather seats...etc, etc...then we could build a facility with the same kind of big dollars that would be more practical, and help many programs. It wouldn't have to be a Porsche. It could be a big, beautiful, Chevy truck.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 02:12 AM

I don't take offense. I write stuff that is on the edge because it's fun. In terms of NDSU...I confess that I've bought into the Chapman philosophy.

NDSUguy
01-28-2008, 02:44 AM
I think that the priority should be for a new basketball facility. That being said, it makes no sense for me to spend millions to build a new football stadium so that we can cram another 5-10k people in for Bison games. we're already at 18k and could probably squeeze in a couple thousand more if we somehow utilized the corners of the FFD.

Personally, I don't think that people will judge us by the size of our stadium but more for the quality of our play.

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 02:46 AM
I think we're a minimum of five years out from even beginning the discussion, with one caveat: possible location. Other than making sure we don't stick a new building on the best location for a future stadium, I'm of the opinion that seriously talking about a new football stadium now only detracts from the more important needs of basketball, wrestling, indoor track, volleyball, softball, soccer, and an indoor practice facility with a cherry on top.

This facility...in its retractable form...would address baseball, softball, soccer, track, indoor practices, and any other outdoor sport. It would be configured for football sightlines, with pull-out seating much like the ones at the Metrodome.

In regards to the land...which is a good point...the time to buy investigate possibilities and to purchase the land would be coming up soon.

It would be the gem of the prairie, but it wouldn't need leather seats, or materials from exotic places.

bisoneer
01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Planning is good, even if it is a pie in the sky. Do a plan, keep it on file for reference and it IS worth something.

Gully
01-28-2008, 03:31 AM
I think that the priority should be for a new basketball facility. That being said, it makes no sense for me to spend millions to build a new football stadium so that we can cram another 5-10k people in for Bison games. we're already at 18k and could probably squeeze in a couple thousand more if we somehow utilized the corners of the FFD.

Personally, I don't think that people will judge us by the size of our stadium but more for the quality of our play.

I don't think anyone is saying we should build a fb stadium next... BB is needed badly. This discussion is about years down the road.

NDSU1980
01-28-2008, 03:35 AM
A retractable roof sounds cool but it's unnecessary given the fact we only play 6 times per year and we'd be lucky to use it twice. I love the dome and it's a great place to watch a game. There isn't a bad seat in the house.
It's one of the best stadiums in the FCS and it's a great recruting tool.

If only we were lucky enough to play in a tin shed in front of 5000 fans, then we could think big and get the retractable roof. LOL

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 05:10 AM
I don't think anyone is saying we should build a fb stadium next... BB is needed badly. This discussion is about years down the road.

Exactly

I think that it's important to look at the picture 10-20 years from now.

Thanks

CaBisonFan
01-28-2008, 05:12 AM
If only we were lucky enough to play in a tin shed in front of 5000 fans, then we could think big and get the retractable roof. LOL

How true...and I know that you're joking to a certain extent...but commenting on something else. We don't want to use that word here...do we? At least...I don't.

I have a funny feeling that something is brewing about replacing the tin shed...and that we need to be aware of the stakes.

NDSU1980
01-28-2008, 01:32 PM
How true...and I know that you're joking to a certain extent...but commenting on something else. We don't want to use that word here...do we? At least...I don't.

I have a funny feeling that something is brewing about replacing the tin shed...and that we need to be aware of the stakes.

We all know the tin shed tenants are dangling that retractable roof concept in front of their new recruits. I can't for the life of me believe they will ever get that idea off the ground. I doubt they have another Ralph around to write the check. Their stands are empty now, and hockey is a drain on the funds.

bisonaudit
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I think the delta to put a roof on the Twins new digs was in the neighboorhood of $150 million. You'd need a Ralph and a half just for the roof. What are you going to do call it the R.D. Offut ceiling?

If we're feeling cornered by the capacity in the FargoDome why would we want to build another facility with significant complications inherent to any expansion? If flexibility regarding future capacity is truely a concern the solution is to forgo a roof all together. Maybe flexibility regarding future capacity isn't actually on the top of the list of concerns but then again if you get it wrong and the only answer is to build another facility from scratch, well, that's going to take a lot of scratch.

Bison bison
01-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I can't see the need for a new decade for at least 2 decades.

There is nothing wrong will selling out, ratcheting up the prize and making poor people watch the game on tv.

aces1180
01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I like the idea of a new stadium, I really do.

However, unless someone wins the Powerball or Microsoft decides to give a gift of over $250 million, a new stadium, with a retractable roof will not happen. In addition, how many college programs play their games in a stadium with this type of construction? By my count, none. Heck, even the Twins couldn't get the funding to add a roof to their new field, so how can we expect to do the same in Fargo?

I honestly think football should be played outdoors, but NDSU has a dome right now and I am fine with it. Let's focus on winning national championships and increasing the demand for tickets, then revisit this idea in 20 years.

stevdock
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
This is definitely a dead issue unless NDSU gets donations for the entire thing. The Fargodome barely makes money the way it is, and people want to build a new one?? No way. Plus those that pay taxes (me included) will never pass this. We are already paying way too much for taxes the way it is. The FargoDome passing in the first place was a gift that will definitely not happen again.

This is also dead until the dome is sold out on hunting opener weekend. The SUU game was absolutely pathetic. The announced crowd and the actual crowd are two totally different numbers. It was absolutely horrible coming off of the U of M game and only having 12,000 at most there for that game.

X-Factor
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
This is definitely a dead issue unless NDSU gets donations for the entire thing. The Fargodome barely makes money the way it is, and people want to build a new one?? No way. Plus those that pay taxes (me included) will never pass this. We are already paying way too much for taxes the way it is. The FargoDome passing in the first place was a gift that will definitely not happen again.

This is also dead until the dome is sold out on hunting opener weekend. The SUU game was absolutely pathetic. The announced crowd and the actual crowd are two totally different numbers. It was absolutely horrible coming off of the U of M game and only having 12,000 at most there for that game.

Well there ya go folks. Here is another interesting perspective. Not that I agree with it, but hey. :D I believe the Fargodome did make quite a bit more than they had anticipated for 2007 (~160k ??) so I guess it depends on what someone considers "barely making money". I guess when I go to the store and buy a $50 shirt the extra $.50 for the Fargodome doesn't really bother me much. That's a small price to pay to say we have one of the nicest stadiums in the FCS that also brings in a sizable economic impact to the FM area.

BTW, the announced crowd at the FFD for the SUU WAS accurate. They do not add phantom ticket sales like they did in the Dakota Field days. Some buy tickets and decide to stay home.

------

I think an outdoor stadium would be prime for NDSU at some point in the future. Not right now. The games with decent weather can be played outside, and when it gets really nasty the Fargodome is still there to hold 20k fans for playoff games and late November outings. Best of both worlds! I'm not aware of ANY football team with that kind of flexability. The only trick would be for NDSU to somehow keep the Fargodome empty for those late season dates if the weather is bad.

roadwarrior
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I guess when I go to the store and buy a $50 shirt the extra $.50 for the Fargodome doesn't really bother me much.

Actually it would be $.25 for the dome.

met1990
01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned in previous posts or other threads, but when does the Fargodome sales tax expire (if ever)? Just curious as I remember it being like a 10-year tax when the dome was proposed.

Hammersmith
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned in previous posts or other threads, but when does the Fargodome sales tax expire (if ever)? Just curious as I remember it being like a 10-year tax when the dome was proposed.

It's a 20-year tax that expires Dec 31, 2008. At that point, taxes will actually go up since a one cent infrastructure tax will replace the half cent Fargodome tax.

TransAmBison
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I have already stated that I don't think a new stadium is needed or even possible, but I was wondering what plans CaBison would envision if this stadium happened. What would plans be for the Fargodome? It couldn't be left alone as it is. They need the Bison, they are one of, if not the main tenant. Who would be responsible for the negative earnings? Concerts have been an issue for many years now. I don't see revenues going dramatically up on that front.

I do have one idea how a new tenant could be added. I can't believe I'm saying it, but if football was to be removed from the Dome, a logical replacement could be to make it into a hockey facility for the Bison. Yuck!!!!! The bile is rising in my throat for even thinking of such a thing. *Swallowing the bile back down* If it were to be a primarily hockey facility, I do think this could all work. I'm sure there could be a few supporters found.

I don't see this as a real alternative, but I think it has about as much chance as a retractible roofed stadium being built. Oh yeah, while the sky is the limit, we might as well add heated tailgating lots. We'd be the first to have that! All hail DA BISON!

aces1180
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I have already stated that I don't think a new stadium is needed or even possible, but I was wondering what plans CaBison would envision if this stadium happened. What would plans be for the Fargodome? It couldn't be left alone as it is. They need the Bison, they are one of, if not the main tenant. Who would be responsible for the negative earnings? Concerts have been an issue for many years now. I don't see revenues going dramatically up on that front.

I do have one idea how a new tenant could be added. I can't believe I'm saying it, but if football was to be removed from the Dome, a logical replacement could be to make it into a hockey facility for the Bison. Yuck!!!!! The bile is rising in my throat for even thinking of such a thing. *Swallowing the bile back down* If it were to be a primarily hockey facility, I do think this could all work. I'm sure there could be a few supporters found.

I don't see this as a real alternative, but I think it has about as much chance as a retractible roofed stadium being built. Oh yeah, while the sky is the limit, we might as well add heated tailgating lots. We'd be the first to have that! All hail DA BISON!

If we are going with heated tailgating lots, we should also add parking ramps with field turf.

met1990
01-28-2008, 06:25 PM
It's a 20-year tax that expires Dec 31, 2008. At that point, taxes will actually go up since a one cent infrastructure tax will replace the half cent Fargodome tax.

Thanks for clarifying!

Flanders
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
We all know the tin shed tenants are dangling that retractable roof concept in front of their new recruits. I can't for the life of me believe they will ever get that idea off the ground. I doubt they have another Ralph around to write the check. Their stands are empty now, and hockey is a drain on the funds.
What do you mean by "Their stands are empty now"? Are you talking about football? Are you talking about the entire season? Or are you talking about a single playoff game vs. Winona State? For the season, I believe they averaged 10,800. I also belive that was the second highest average in their history. I think you would admit that by basing "Their stands are empty now" on one playoff game against an overmatched team for the third year in a row might be disingenuous. Secondly, as a University, they absolutely have to have long-term plans in place. Maybe aspects of it prove to be unobtainable; time will tell. Thirdly, while Ralph is not around, Betty is. And the Engelstad family has roughly 800 Million dollars, which those close to Ralph say will all go to UND. Every penny. Ear-marked for a football stadium, maybe not. But could more than likely free up lots of other monies. Having a vision is not a bad thing. Just look at NDSU. Without out that kind of forward-thinking, they wouldn't have achieved the awesome success they've seen in the last five years. I think your wrong to criticize others for having that hope.

Bison bison
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Thirdly, while Ralph is not around, Betty is. And the Engelstad family has roughly 800 Million dollars, which those close to Ralph say will all go to UND. Every penny.

What are they waiting for? :p

MN_BISON
01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/omegaosx/.Pictures/dead_thread.jpg

Bison Dan
01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
What do you mean by "Their stands are empty now"? Are you talking about football? Are you talking about the entire season? Or are you talking about a single playoff game vs. Winona State? For the season, I believe they averaged 10,800. I also belive that was the second highest average in their history. I think you would admit that by basing "Their stands are empty now" on one playoff game against an overmatched team for the third year in a row might be disingenuous. Secondly, as a University, they absolutely have to have long-term plans in place. Maybe aspects of it prove to be unobtainable; time will tell. Thirdly, while Ralph is not around, Betty is. And the Engelstad family has roughly 800 Million dollars, which those close to Ralph say will all go to UND. Every penny. Ear-marked for a football stadium, maybe not. But could more than likely free up lots of other monies. Having a vision is not a bad thing. Just look at NDSU. Without out that kind of forward-thinking, they wouldn't have achieved the awesome success they've seen in the last five years. I think your wrong to criticize others for having that hope.

Now that your DI you'll have to count butts in the seat and not tickets sold. It'll be a big difference for the attendance at the Alerus. Also big difference if out of your count the students make up a large %.

90BISON
01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Thirdly, while Ralph is not around, Betty is. And the Engelstad family has roughly 800 Million dollars, which those close to Ralph say will all go to UND.

Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be one of those close to Ralph, at least not for a few decades yet. So are they talking to the dead up North now?:hide:

Bisonguy
01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Now that your DI you'll have to count butts in the seat and not tickets sold. It'll be a big difference for the attendance at the Alerus. Also big difference if out of your count the students make up a large %.

You can count tickets sold in DI, as well. At least for DI FBS, the tickets must be sold for at least 1/3 face value or be for students that pay an activity fee.

NDSU1980
01-29-2008, 01:50 AM
What are they waiting for? :p

Hitler's birthday????????????

CaBisonFan
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/omegaosx/.Pictures/dead_thread.jpg

Meaning...there would be no replies?

CaBisonFan
01-29-2008, 02:48 AM
To even get talk of a new stadium NDSU would have to....

Sell the Dome out every year for at least 4 or 5 years

Build a waiting list for season tickets......

Somebody or some group would also have to step up and put up a big donation towards the project...

That said.....Right now there is no reason to leave the Fargodome. You need to have people demanding more seats to get things rolling. You don't invest perhaps upwards of a 100 million dollars in a new faciltiy based on one season of strong ticket sales. I can see the day coming when such a discussion may need to happen but for now, we need to focus on selling more season tickets and packing the Fargodome.

You create the demand with planning. The upswing in attendance was caused by people that went against the grain and did what people thought was impossible. The cry of 'insanity' came from a wide spectrum of people, including a large percentage of Bison fans, when the move was announced.

One could have said, "we need to win a couple more national titles before we move up a level." Actually...it was said...a lot.

You fill the seats after you have created the seats. You bring recruits in to see the new seats and the surroundings. The demand increases further because of the talent level of the team.

30,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis last fall. It could happen every weekend in Fargo...easily.

CaBisonFan
01-29-2008, 02:50 AM

Thanks Gully. You understand.

CaBisonFan
01-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Planning is good, even if it is a pie in the sky. Do a plan, keep it on file for reference and it IS worth something.

Thanks bisoneer. You understand what I've written.

NDSUguy
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
"30,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis last fall. It could happen every weekend in Fargo...easily"

While there were 25-30 bison fans at the Metrodome, a LARGE percentage of those fans were FROM the Minneapolis area. In order to get 30k to Fargo for a Bison game you will depend upon fans from Minneapolis to come back (which won't happen often). Most people here that are Bison fans choose 1 or maybe 2 games a year to go to. Not 6 or 7 games.

I think that NDSU might be able to get 20-25k reguarly but 30k is too much.