PDA

View Full Version : Interesting viewpoint

onbison09
01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
From the Forum blog:
It is tough to judge the Women's Basketball team Success/Failure since entering Division I play a few years back. Many factors play into the growth of a fledgling D1 program outside a Hall of Fame coach. Many may think the coach may not have what it takes to deliver D1 success. I beg to differ. Just take a picture of the facilities that many D1 Women's programs offer and compare them to what we have at NDSU for Women's Basketball. Take a picture of Amy's office and compare that to the Head Football coach or any other Women's Basketball coach in D1 play. If you were a talented prospect for Women's Basketball what would you think? Where would you end up? The road to success will take more than just a coach. It is a blessing that NDSU has a coach that many successful D1 big name schools have sought after over the years. Yet Amy's committment remained true to NDSU. ETHICS, SMART PLAYERS, and HARD WORK have always been the core values of a coach that has delivered a significant amount of credibility to the NDSU organization. Now there are the many skepitics that wonder what is the right recipe to make NDSU Women's Basketball a trademark for success similar to what we have with Football. Unfortunately it boils down to dollars and cents. You can't attract the talent you need with substandard facilities "even to a D2 standard". You need to be patient and understand that it may take a bit of time to deliver the same D2 success we experienced. Hold on to the coach that got you the the unthinkable 5 titles and wait for the funding and recruiting support to catch up. It will come, but in a state that doesn't value the NDSU education, funding for these programs will take time. It will pay off in the long run. Your coach has been a God send for this program and has delivered many successful contributing women leaders beyond Basketball. Don't be short-sighted that your comments and opinons may wear down and eject a huge catalyst for what is good in Women's Basketball!!! Don't be surprised if this is the last year of RULEY RULES! I hope it is not but your voice can be the difference!

BlueKeyAlum
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
The last two sentences are interesting. Is she thinking about stepping down? I have a hard time imagining that the administration will fire her.

The point about the BSA has been discussed all over this board. We can't have a half-donkeyed transition to Division One taking place, especially with that school up North making the jump as well.

BlueKeyAlum
01-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Here's another one: This is from Kolpack.

"The difference between last week and Saturday for the Bison women's basketball team was more than just location. Non-verbal communication is a telling factor.

There were a few times at IUPUI and Western Illinois when players would give those "why are you replacing me?" facial expressions when leaving the floor. It doesn't exactly make for harmonious team play. I've covered games for a lot of years and you pick up on those things after awhile. Did it make a difference in the final score? Maybe not, but it also can't help, either.

There was a noticeable gusto with the Bison on Saturday against UMKC. Certainly, there was more enthusiasm and better team play. The result was a better effort and a victory."

Wonder what happened to make the team play more enthusiastically this week than last week?

ndbison111
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
my guess would be they have had an emotional week and used the game as an outlet for stress. it would also be a safe bet that, since jenna and jerri were so close, that fueled jerri's game as well. she was a beast down there, and she was fun to watch.

Bison What?
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Here's another one: This is from Kolpack.

"The difference between last week and Saturday for the Bison women's basketball team was more than just location. Non-verbal communication is a telling factor.

There were a few times at IUPUI and Western Illinois when players would give those "why are you replacing me?" facial expressions when leaving the floor. It doesn't exactly make for harmonious team play. I've covered games for a lot of years and you pick up on those things after awhile. Did it make a difference in the final score? Maybe not, but it also can't help, either.

There was a noticeable gusto with the Bison on Saturday against UMKC. Certainly, there was more enthusiasm and better team play. The result was a better effort and a victory."

Wonder what happened to make the team play more enthusiastically this week than last week?

Well Jeff Kolpack, let me tell you....maybe it had to do with the fact that Amy Ruley finally gave the team some respect for once. There were no verbal put downs and derogatory terms aimed at the players during practice. The players actually didnt have their confidence shot down for once.

Elephants Dream?
01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Adding to Bison What
On Saturday afternoon, after some of this Finally started to hit the fan,
your coach looked nearly as if she had her hands taped down.
She didn't get in players faces, etc. She seemed to be trying
to show us the *Good Amy*, and that all is well.
The flip-side is that some players wouldn't slap hands and
basically ignored her when coming off the court.
How long before the other Amy comes back again?

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Elephants Dream?;174366]
QUOTE]

Wow now that is childish in my opinion. Good luck in the real world to them!!!! This isn't high school anymore. If it was me I would be saying grow up and work it out or move on but that is just me. It is a honor to be able to play for the bison in any sport not a right. I hope the players and coaches work together to make the team the best that it can be. I hope they work to be successful and quiting is not being successful

bisonpride2k
01-22-2008, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=Elephants Dream?;174366]
QUOTE]

Wow now that is childish in my opinion. Good luck in the real world to them!!!! This isn't high school anymore. If it was me I would be saying grow up and work it out or move on but that is just me. It is a honor to be able to play for the bison in any sport not a right. I hope the players and coaches work together to make the team the best that it can be. I hope they work to be successful and quiting is not being successful

Why should they have to give her five coming off the court when she doesnt offer a five or at least a pat on the back after just tearing them a new one. It goes both ways! You can tear into a player all you want but you still need to give the player some sense of being behind them and believing in them even in times of verbal put downs. It is visible that Amy does that very rarely when getting on a player. It goes both ways.

onbison09
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Coaches have to walk a fine line between building their players up and tearing them down. Too much either way and players won't respect you.

BlueKeyAlum
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Adding to Bison What
On Saturday afternoon, after some of this Finally started to hit the fan,
your coach looked nearly as if she had her hands taped down.
She didn't get in players faces, etc. She seemed to be trying
to show us the *Good Amy*, and that all is well.
How long before the other Amy comes back again?

Being in Spokane, I only have the radio broadcast to go by. Scott didn't indicate Amy was passive in her timeouts. In fact he stated the opposite.