PDA

View Full Version : Another question...what will be the toughest 2 games of the year...and why?

CaBisonFan
01-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Especially in the conference...who will be the most dangerous teams...and why?

I really don't have an opinion on this. I suppose that Northern Iowa has to be counted in...but I'm not sure what they have coming back.

Like the old ball coach said in another thread...give us your reasons.

This is a healthy exercise...and good knowledge for people who aren't as 'up' on the Gateway. Let's give them some reasons to go to the ballpark...and some info on what to watch for.

For some reason...I'm not missing the idea of playing an FBS team. This new conference seems like it's going to be really salty...which is good. It will make the Bison better...which is what we wanted. Recruits will come to the games and see an FBS caliber game...with an FBS caliber crowd, in terms of the loudness and atmosphere. Actually...it will be better than a lot of the lower-tier FBS environments. To me...there are an awful lot of FBS teams that would struggle in the Gateway...or at least be very challenged. Maybe we'll find that the Gateway is a whole lot more exciting that anything we've seen for a long time in Fargo. That's my hunch...so who will provide the punch?

Out on a limb time for me...

...Bison will be co-champs with one loss in the conference. We'll lose one regular season game...make the playoffs...and then it could be very interesting if we're reasonably healthy.

This is the season where the Bison separate themselves even more from other programs in the area. We'll notch it up a couple of levels because of the Gateway and a much, much more normal travel schedule. The Great West was a good start for us...but the Gateway will demand that the Bison play at a higher level every weekend...with perhaps one or two exceptions.

So being out on the limb so far...who would be a potential co-champion?

NDSU1980
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm going to say Northern Iowa and Youngstown. Reasons? Just a gut feeling based on their football heritage that they will play us tough. At 6:30 on a Saturday morning when it's 20 below, who the heck needs reasons? Right.

HerdBot
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Southern Illinos will be the toughest home game. Northern Iowa is losing a lot of players and Youngstown isn't so I think Youngstown will be a tougher game. Youngstown finsihed the season ranked #16 and almost beat Northern Iowa. Youngstown has won 4 Championships

tjbison
01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Youngstown and UNI for sure, SIU will be good but with a new coach i don't see a anither run like 07, also never rule out those cute and furry little:bunnyb:'s

WYOBISONMAN
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
No question in my mind...........UNI and Youngstown.

Bisonguy
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Penguins and Saluki dogs. :nod:

Mr_Meanor
01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
I am going to go with SDSU...rivalry games are always tough. You can throw out the records when the bunnies come to town because its going to be a battle. The Bunnies will always play us tough.

Bison101
01-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Especially in the conference...who will be the most dangerous teams...and why?

I really don't have an opinion on this. I suppose that Northern Iowa has to be counted in...but I'm not sure what they have coming back.

Like the old ball coach said in another thread...give us your reasons.

This is a healthy exercise...and good knowledge for people who aren't as 'up' on the Gateway. Let's give them some reasons to go to the ballpark...and some info on what to watch for.

For some reason...I'm not missing the idea of playing an FBS team. This new conference seems like it's going to be really salty...which is good. It will make the Bison better...which is what we wanted. Recruits will come to the games and see an FBS caliber game...with an FBS caliber crowd, in terms of the loudness and atmosphere. Actually...it will be better than a lot of the lower-tier FBS environments. To me...there are an awful lot of FBS teams that would struggle in the Gateway...or at least be very challenged. Maybe we'll find that the Gateway is a whole lot more exciting that anything we've seen for a long time in Fargo. That's my hunch...so who will provide the punch?

Out on a limb time for me...

...Bison will be co-champs with one loss in the conference. We'll lose one regular season game...make the playoffs...and then it could be very interesting if we're reasonably healthy.

This is the season where the Bison separate themselves even more from other programs in the area. We'll notch it up a couple of levels because of the Gateway and a much, much more normal travel schedule. The Great West was a good start for us...but the Gateway will demand that the Bison play at a higher level every weekend...with perhaps one or two exceptions.

So being out on the limb so far...who would be a potential co-champion?

Why are we asking what the TWO toughest games will be? There will probably 3-4 tough games, just like this year.

bisonranch
01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Toughest games of the year? I'd say the Nationan semifinal and the national championship.

onbison09
01-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Toughest games of the year? I'd say the Nationan semifinal and the national championship.
:praying:ing that you're right.

X-Factor
01-23-2008, 01:59 AM

yep yep :D

gwfan
01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
We have Youngstown--SIU--Western Ill. & UNI on consecutive saturdays.
WHEW!!

CaBisonFan
01-24-2008, 02:43 AM
WHEW!!

I didn't realize that. My, oh my.

That's a serious stretch. The odds of winning all 4 aren't good. But I guess that's what being in a conference like the Gateway is about. Sure beats playing in the watered-down NCC.

Good comment.

NDSUstudent
01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
At YSU and UNI

Those are two of the toughest venues in the FCS to win at and they are also conference games.

Bison bison
01-24-2008, 05:39 PM
easy.

South Dakota State because it is a rivalry game.

The National Championship game, because everyone on the team will be getting tired after the long season.

Bison101
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
WHEW!!

Yeah...sorry to say this, but that's gonna be difficult to win. OUCH!

GrebdNodak
01-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Would it be appropriate to start calling the Salukis "knuckleheads", or doesn't that nickname move with the coach?

Bisonguy
01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Would it be appropriate to start calling the Salukis "knuckleheads", or doesn't that nickname move with the coach?

No, if it went with the coach, it would have moved to whatever team Northeastern's rival is.

RedRiver
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Two toughest regular season games will be Northern Iowa and our rival from SDSU.

devin45k
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
2 toughest:
1. UNI
2. Youngstown

They are both really tough teams and both away games also...

most "should be" wins:
1. Indiana State (1 win in past 3 years and a couple teams outscored them be 60) (I also think Southern Utah could even make them look bad)
2. Austin Peay (with the Bison home field advantage, Im fairly confident we could pull it off)