PDA

View Full Version : Who will be 'the' breakout player of 2008?

CaBisonFan
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to give an opinion right now. Can you name one that stands out to you? Just one.

OK...you can have two.

NDSUstudent
01-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Coulter Boyer DE- If our O-line can't block him in practice, who knows what he'll do to the rest of the FCS.

Tyler Henry MLB- Always had big games when May's couldn't go, he could have a big year.

I'm really excited about our defense next year, lots of depth and talent. Plus some exciting up and coming players.

roadwarrior
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Nick Mertens

tjbison
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I heard this Roehl kid should be pretty good!!:p

BisonNeil
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM

His breakout season was 2007. Perhaps you missed it ;)

tjbison
01-17-2008, 10:00 PM
His breakout season was 2007. Perhaps you missed it ;)

Really??:banghead:

BisonNeil
01-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Nick Mertens

That would be good, hope you're right.

I do think the D will be a strength of the team this coming season, O will need to develop. So as far as breakout seasons, I think that in addition to Mertens we need some other offensive players to step up.

My wish list includes DJ McNorton. I think a Roehl, Paschall, DJ rotation could absolutely kick ass.

I would like to see a legimate deep threat at WR so we can really stretch the field vertically with our passing game, so I would like to see either Gary Williams or Warren Holloway break out this season as well.

KilldeerBison
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Matt Gratzek!!!

Herd
01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Ramon is our best defender by far. With Joe on the team, Ramon did not get the love even though he deserved it just as much.

How about some love for Ramon . . . he is our stud, and this is his year!

msvjcpa
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Coulton Boyer DE- If our O-line can't block him in practice, who knows what he'll do to the rest of the FCS.

Tyler Henry MLB- Always had big games when May's couldn't go, he could have a big year.

I'm really excited about our defense next year, lots of depth and talent. Plus some exciting up and coming players.

Boyer didn't even play on the D-Line on scout D this year. He played a linebacker. Garrett Johnson DE went up against Nate Safe all year on scout D. Nothing like playing against the best offensive lineman to hone the skills. I hear he did a nice job. Both are big kids and should be fun to watch. I think both are doing two-a-days in the weight room with lardinois.

imported_Bisongold
01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
That photo of Ramon "flying" gives you an idea of what a phenomenal athlete he is!!

Gully
01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
That photo of Ramon "flying" gives you an idea of what a phenomenal athlete he is!!

Agreed, it sick how high he was on that one. Nice photo too by whoever took it.

Jdubs21
01-18-2008, 12:10 AM
does anyone have that pic anywhere...i cant find it....and my prediction is DJ or Ramon :D

ol' ball coach
01-18-2008, 01:19 AM
This is the old ball coach again . I only talk about what I know,and not about how I feel, or what I hope will happen. After talking to some of the staff about what the kids did during fall practice; two names came up the most. Dj. McNorton and W. Holloway. If the scout team is any indication of what a kid can do, or what kind of skills a kid has. DJ and Holloway will be the breakout players of 2008. These kids really gave our first team D- a great look every week. Dj is everything that the staff thought he would be; and Holloway was also. According to the staff,the biggest question all season long was? should they pull Dj's redshirt, or save him until next year. Now I know a lot of you out there feels like Roehl, and Paschall will get all the carriers. Dj and Blincoe can split the 5 carriers thats left over. Most of you are the ones that have not seen this kid, or have not talk to any of the players,or the staff. Don't get me wrong; Roehl and Paschall did a great job last year. But Roehl can't do it by his self. The last 3 games should have showed everyone that. He can't bull over 5 players at a time,you have to make some of them miss sometimes. Last year we had only 11 games; but this year we're talking about 12, plus a run into the play-off. Roehl will have all the help he needs. Dj McNorton will be the breakout player for the 2008 season. But don't take my word; come see the spring game, or talk the players or the staff.

bisoneer
01-18-2008, 01:51 AM
I cant wait to see or hear more about DJ, but the guy we NEED to have make a break out is Mertens. Walkers shoes are really big to fill, Mert can do it..l. I look for some scrambles in key situations and rocket arm strength.

CaBisonFan
01-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Matt Gratzek!!!

Is that the kid from Stephen-Argyle?

heymch86
01-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Gary Williams! Mertens has a better, stronger arm than King Walker and Gary will be our first deep threat we've had in a long time! Kole will continue to be the man, but Gary is gonna stretch that D and make things easier for Big Roehl and Kole on the underneath routes.

CaBisonFan
01-18-2008, 04:15 AM
This is the old ball coach again . I only talk about what I know,and not about how I feel, or what I hope will happen. After talking to some of the staff about what the kids did during fall practice; two names came up the most. Dj. McNorton and W. Holloway. If the scout team is any indication of what a kid can do, or what kind of skills a kid has. DJ and Holloway will be the breakout players of 2008. These kids really gave our first team D- a great look every week. Dj is everything that the staff thought he would be; and Holloway was also. According to the staff,the biggest question all season long was? should they pull Dj's redshirt, or save him until next year. Now I know a lot of you out there feels like Roehl, and Paschall will get all the carriers. Dj and Blincoe can split the 5 carriers thats left over. Most of you are the ones that have not seen this kid, or have not talk to any of the players,or the staff. Don't get me wrong; Roehl and Paschall did a great job last year. But Roehl can't do it by his self. The last 3 games should have showed everyone that. He can't bull over 5 players at a time,you have to make some of them miss sometimes. Last year we had only 11 games; but this year we're talking about 12, plus a run into the play-off. Roehl will have all the help he needs. Dj McNorton will be the breakout player for the 2008 season. But don't take my word; come see the spring game, or talk the players or the staff.

That YouTube footage of DJ convinced me. He's a dude...and then some. I hope that you're right about Holloway. I still think that having a deep threat, even if it isn't used that much, changes the whole defensive attitude of the other team. SDSU and Cal Poly didn't respect our ability to go deep. Now...I was at the Cal Poly game and saw two pretty awesome deep passes for touchdowns...but still...they didn't think we could do it. It took the last touchdown to convince them that we could go there. If Holloway is for real, and if DJ has the wheels that he showed on YouTube, people are going to have fits trying to defend against our variety of receivers...and an unbelievable backfield. If Nick has a good head on his shoulders, we'll be extremely potent...very possibly more than last year.

We missed Paschall tremendously in the last two games. He had speed to the hole, power when he got there, some moves, a real downhill attitude, and usually broke the first tackle or more. It's my opinion that with Paschall, we would have beaten SDSU. We became totally one-dimensional and predictable. It wasn't anyone's fault. We played with the people that we had. SDSU had two of three guys assigned to Tyler...and he suffered for it. DJ & Paschall will change that completely. We'll be able to go outside, inside, do the screen, deep threat, you name it. If the defense is as strong as people predict, the 2008 year could be tremendous.

CaBisonFan
01-18-2008, 04:26 AM

whoops...pressed the save button twice

bisondad
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
If we were playoff eligible this year, I have a feeling that a few of those redshirts would have come off. With losses of Paschall, Maresh, Majeski, Dallas, etc, we would have had to. I personally think the addition of McNorton alone would have been more than enough for a different result in Brookings. But, with no playoffs to play for, you just can't give those redshirts up. Things will be different next year when playoffs and a national championship is on the line. Can't wait to watch!

90BISON
01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
It's tough to limit it to a couple. But how about McNorton, Mertens & Gratzek & Humber &........:nod:

d3boys
01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
humber is a stud and fun to watch, wothout mays there he will really shine

WRSDBison
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm going to go with Travis Henry and Matt Anderson on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side, Mertens and McNorton. O.K. I cheated and took 4 instead of 2.

TheDoctor
01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Ramon is our best defender by far. With Joe on the team, Ramon did not get the love even though he deserved it just as much.

How about some love for Ramon . . . he is our stud, and this is his year!

Joe was the leader of the defense....I argue that he received a lot of his love for this reason. Therefore, I agree Ramon will have a big year, but he did not deserve the same love Joe got last year. ;)

Bison101
01-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Not that this hasn't been said already...

but I'm going to say Mertens. That kid had a gazillion (or something like that) records in Minnesota. He has shown that he can not only throw, but he can rush like you wouldn't believe.

The kid's good, and don't underestimate him. Sure he has big shoes to fill, but we also said that after people like Feeney. This kid will shine.

And don't forget about a certain #40 out of West Fargo...

WRSDBison
01-18-2008, 10:34 PM

I'm guessing that means that he will take a lot of the pressure off of Mertens. As stated earlier his breakout was last season.......and lets hope it continues on to Sundays in a few years.

twowheels
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I've seen alot of talk of breakout players concerning the skill players but to have those skill players do what they do so well I hope (an this is comming from an old lineman) Foster,Ebel, Arndt and Backowski have breakout years. Foster has played well an was in the solid rotation. Ebel played in 7 games and shows promise. Arndt played in 4 games not enouch to say where he is at,Backowski came from a big program but did not play enouch to see or not see his talent. Buckman will be there,if he is moved to the left side may take time to ajust to the different tech., Harrington and Sepect will be solid, my hope is a breakout year for the new starters in the O-line to assist those skill players to have their breakout year.

Scooter1
01-18-2008, 10:51 PM
The breakout player for next year will be Austin Richard. This kid could be a four year starter. On defense I'm going to go with Coulter Boyer. It all starts up front.

OTOH with Backowski, Buckman, Harrington, Foster, Ebel, Wellenstein, Arndt, Septak, there may be less pressure to rush Austin into the lineup. But, he will see substancial playing time.

WRSDBison
01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I like the last two posts. I commend both of you for looking at the bigger picture (i don't think a pun was intended) and the guys up front who make everything possible.

bisoner1011
01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Shawn Bibeau and Nick Compton will have breakout years

ol' ball coach
01-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Let's just don't call names, explain and give us a break down why you feel these players will have a breakout year. Tell us what you know about these kids.

CaBisonFan
01-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Nick Mertens

Man....do I hope you're right.

CaBisonFan
01-19-2008, 04:53 AM

When he gets on a roll...it's all downhill from there.

Scooter1
01-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Let's just don't call names, explain and give us a break down why you feel these players will have a breakout year. Tell us what you know about these kids.

O.K.
Austin Richard- this kid is going to be a great one. He doesn't just block you, he has an attitude and will try to drive you into the turf. Future running backs are going to love this kid. But, like stated before, we are deep in the O Line, there is no pressing need to rush this kid.

Coulter Boyer- This kid is the real deal, if we can get 15-20 lbs on him for next year, he is going to be very good. Time after time the coaches raved last year about how this kid was giving our #1's fits. And we had some pretty good #1's last year. Also, I think this is one position that the job is up for grabs. Lardinois has one end, who really has the other locked down?

Why not DJ McNorton? Let me preface this by saying that I think that he will get a lot more touches than others do on this board. But, with Tyler Roehl in front of him on the depth chart I see DJ in a more utility (#2 back) role next year. DJ's sophomore year will be his breakout year because I think he will beat out Paschal for the starting job. Further, it wouldn't surprise me to see DJ finish his career as the top back in the Gateway his final three years.

Why not Holloway? He has the same problem. Heckendorf always seems to make the huge plays. Schultenover really came on at the end of the year as well. I look for Holloway to do some great things next year but I think the coaches will ease this kid into the system thoughout the year. Again, like with DJ, his sophomore season will be his breakout season.

Why not Tyler Henry? Tyler has already proven to be a more than capable linebacker on the feild. I won't call next year breakout for him because I expect more of the same from him next year. I know it's splitting hairs but that's why I didn't choose him.

CaBisonFan
01-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Really??:banghead:

Listen...don't beat yourself up over it. Tyler was easy to miss...or get run over by.

CaBisonFan
01-19-2008, 05:20 AM
If we were playoff eligible this year, I have a feeling that a few of those redshirts would have come off. With losses of Paschall, Maresh, Majeski, Dallas, etc, we would have had to. I personally think the addition of McNorton alone would have been more than enough for a different result in Brookings. But, with no playoffs to play for, you just can't give those redshirts up. Things will be different next year when playoffs and a national championship is on the line. Can't wait to watch!

I totally agree bisondad. SDSU obviously saw the success that Cal Poly had on defense and made just a few tweaks to their approach. Paschall would have busted through a few times and made life harder for the linebackers and d-backs. They weren't playing honest. It would have loosened up the passing game...and softened the rush on Steve. We became one-dimensional...and when Tyler sprained his ankle and probably got rung up pretty good on the fumble play...we were virtually out of options, except for the roll-out passing game. Then the d-backs had what they wanted...and the d-line was able to pin their ears back without fear. SDSU was determined to 'not' allow Tyler to rule the game...so they keyed on him...and the blitz game kicked in. Blocking must have been a real pain...literally.

Yeah...with those three games left and Paschall on the disabled list...I agree that we would have pulled DJ's redshirt if we had been fighting for a playoff spot. And...without another high-octane runner...the playoffs would have been a lost cause anyway. It hurts some because even though the 2007 team wasn't eligible...we had the #1 spot...which I thought was worth pulling out the stops for. Winning the playoffs is a bit of a crapshoot, and our seniors deserved a chance to finish the season undefeated and ranked #1 or 2. To me, that was just as important as winning a playoff game, or two, or three.

Just my opinion. Do I blame the coaches? No...not really. It's my emotions taking over. The goal in the past few years was to build a national reputation...and we certainly did that...but it would have been really nice to put the finishing touches on it. I think you named four injured guys. We definitely weren't the same team without them. The special teams were hurt badly. Dallas, at least to me, seemed like the run stuffer when I saw him at Cal Poly. He made the d-line more stout. Majeski was an intangible...like a leader in all areas...a real gamer, as much as anyone on the team. You can't really put a value on him. He seemed to always do a few really important things in every game.

Sounds like sour grapes...I know. But when I stop to think about it...it hurts still. The Bison team that showed up in Brookings didn't look anything like the team that played the first two-thirds of the season. I don't think that the Minnesota/Super Bowl emotions were the #1 problem. It was injuries in just the wrong places. Depth...we lacked. Damn...it was frustrating to watch that happening. But even though all of this happened...if we had just handled the ball half-ways normally...we would have won. I think that it was a case of a few guys trying too hard to make up for the missing pieces.

My breakout player prediction is DJ. After I watched the YouTube film on him...I became convinced that the Bison have landed a major, major talent that could become an All-American caliber running back. He looks like he has the 'attitude' about running that can't be taught. Sees the whole field...the stands...and the parking lot. Child's play. If he can stay healthy, stay out of trouble, and goes to class...he could be one of the best to ever play at NDSU. We will be absolutely loaded at running back this fall. The problem will be spreading the ball around enough to keep guys happy.

Scooter1
01-19-2008, 04:24 PM
CaBisonFan, you have some good points. I take a different outlook on the SDSU game. It would have been nice to have those guys playing. But, I feel that this Bison football team beats SDSU 70% of the times they play. We became one dimensional at times in the game but I think that was more due to Bison misscues. How many times have you seen a blocked punt, fumble deep in jack territory, false starts by our best lineman in the red zone, a 95 yard punt return for a TD, a special teams fumble by a legit all american returner, a general lack of fundimental tackling and a Walker interception all in the same game. All of this, and we still had a lead in the fourth quarter. Don't take anything away from SDSU, I think they played the best game of the year against us. With the talent that we had on the feild, we had more than enough firepower to beat the Jacks without removing any of the freshmen redshirts.

You are correct that some of these redshirted kids could have helped. The class of 2007 is that good and I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised when spring ball comes around. If there is a silver lining to this loss it's this...al least we don't have a bunch of posters on every board they can find claiming a mythical national title. It does a disservice to NDSU and the team that was able to string four games together to win. We all know how tough that is.

In four years we are going to be sitting pretty good and be one of the elite teams in the FCS. How many of you would have liked to see Craig Dahl and Justin Frick playing last year? Remember, those two had their red shirts pulled. The way I see it, the pulling of those two redshirts cost us a perfect season as much as not pulling DJ's for three games. But, the pulling of their red shirts helped the program when it needed a infusion of talent and it was the right descision at the time. The same can be said of the decision to hold out the entire 2007 class last year.

BisonNeil
01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
The breakout player for next year will be Austin Richard. This kid could be a four year starter. On defense I'm going to go with Coulter Boyer. It all starts up front.

OTOH with Backowski, Buckman, Harrington, Foster, Ebel, Wellenstein, Arndt, Septak, there may be less pressure to rush Austin into the lineup. But, he will see substancial playing time.

Austin will have to work a lot harder than he has been to break into the line up, even as a backup next year. He came into the program with a huge head, just like Wurzbacher did, thinking he was the all "it". Don't get me wrong, he has huge upside potential, but he is going to have to put in the effort to get there and I have heard things about his work ethic that makes that suspect. I have watched him play and I also question whether he has the quickness and footwork for LT, so if he does break in I think it may be somewhere else on the line. But, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

BisonNeil
01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
In four years we are going to be sitting pretty good and be one of the elite teams in the FCS. How many of you would have liked to see Craig Dahl and Justin Frick playing last year? Remember, those two had their red shirts pulled. The way I see it, the pulling of those two redshirts cost us a perfect season as much as not pulling DJ's for three games. But, the pulling of their red shirts helped the program when it needed a infusion of talent and it was the right descision at the time. The same can be said of the decision to hold out the entire 2007 class last year.

Amen, I agree. I am glad that all of the players talked about possibly having a break out year have four years of eligibility left!!

ol' ball coach
01-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Over the holidays I got a chance to sit down and talk with Dj and his dad about next year. Dj clearly understands that his time is coming and Roehl is the back that will carry the Bisons this year. He said he will just contiue to work harder, to get bigger and faster; so when ever his number is called he'll be ready. Dj feels that if he just returns kick-offs he'll be ok with that. He said the hardest thing about last year was, not being able dress out and travel after working hard all week. IMO I think Dj will be alright next year and want have anything to say about however many carriers he get. For all of you Bison fans that don't see it; Dj's time is coming, sooner than most of you think.

Just remeber the OLD BALL COACH told you so.:bow:

Mr. Burgundy
01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
DJ sounds like a great kid. Can't wait to watch him next year. I am sure he is loving the weather this weekend!

bisoner1011
01-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Austin richards will not and probaly will never be playing eiether of the tackle positions, its a position that requires more athletic ability than he has and long arms, which he doesent have. He will be worked into the center position to take over once harrington and septak are done after this year. Buckman will start at one of the tackles and probaly will be moved to left to fill safes shoes and the right tackle spot will be fought over by Ebel, Backowski, Ardnt.

Herd Mentality
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Things you won't hear me say...

"Hey Austin...you have short arms!"

HerdBot
01-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not going to give an opinion right now. Can you name one that stands out to you? Just one.

OK...you can have two.

Define breakout?

On defense... Humber and Lardinois should continue to improve and take it to a higher level. They were already good players to begin with so they are my picks.

On offense... tough to say because guys like Heckendorf and Roehl are already great players. I think we're going to see Jordan Schultenover contribute heavily this year because he proven he's a deep threat late in the year.

heymch86
01-23-2008, 01:20 AM
Courtney Mitchell may have a great year too. sounds like he will return kicks along side shamen

Mr_Meanor
01-23-2008, 07:50 PM
the 2 guys who I think could have break out years are Warren Halloway, Eddie Beson.

Bison"FANatic"
01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Here it is, I had to compress it to get it to work. I am kind of computer stupid so if anyone knows how to make it bigger go right ahead!

CaBisonFan
01-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Define breakout?

On defense... Humber and Lardinois should continue to improve and take it to a higher level. They were already good players to begin with so they are my picks.

On offense... tough to say because guys like Heckendorf and Roehl are already great players. I think we're going to see Jordan Schultenover contribute heavily this year because he proven he's a deep threat late in the year.

No problem...to me, as you wrote, Humber & Lardinois are already established and yes, let's hope that they continue to improve...but out of the lesser known names, who will break out of the crowd as the next Humber, Mayes, Walker, Safe, Lardinois caliber of player...or even better?

Is there someone that I'm unaware of that could emerge as an All-America, All-Conference, etc...type of player. A player that will begin to have a 'major' impact soon.

I'm talking 'domination' at their position.

It's a fair question. thanks

CaBisonFan
01-24-2008, 01:48 AM
the 2 guys who I think could have break out years are Warren Halloway, Eddie Beson.

It's a dumb question...but what position will Beson play? What's his hometown, background, etc...?

Mr_Meanor
01-24-2008, 02:01 AM
It's a dumb question...but what position will Beson play? What's his hometown, background, etc...?

Beson will play LBer and is from Appleton, WI.

Bison"FANatic"
01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to think Mertens will have a break out year. He has all the tools, a great arm, throws a nice ball and he has the legs to get out of the way and head down field if need be. The question to be answered is does he have the "it". I suspect he does but we will find out.

X-Factor
01-24-2008, 03:20 PM

he will go up against Tyler Henry for the starting Mike position.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1244899&Q_SEASON=2007

BisonNeil
01-26-2008, 04:25 PM
he will go up against Tyler Henry for the starting Mike position.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1244899&Q_SEASON=2007

Beson will have to get a LOT stronger and bigger to compete with Tyler. At 212 he is much too light for the middle at this point. Tyler also needs to get a bit bigger and stronger. He got bowled over a couple of times during the game he started for Mays.

CaBisonFan
01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm going to go with Travis Henry and Matt Anderson on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side, Mertens and McNorton. O.K. I cheated and took 4 instead of 2.

Cheating is allowed. I'll take 4 breakout players. I'll take 6.

CaBisonFan
01-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Not that this hasn't been said already...

but I'm going to say Mertens. That kid had a gazillion (or something like that) records in Minnesota. He has shown that he can not only throw, but he can rush like you wouldn't believe.

The kid's good, and don't underestimate him. Sure he has big shoes to fill, but we also said that after people like Feeney. This kid will shine.

Hmmm...our very own Tim Tebow? Is that the kind of athlete we're talking about here? Seriously...does he have that kind of skill?

Now before anyone comes after me for this...I know that there aren't many Tebow types of athletes out there...but what I'm asking is whether he has a game that would resemble Tebow's.

CaBisonFan
01-27-2008, 02:21 AM

What's the background on Austin? Where from? Position? How heavily was he recruited? Size? etc.

CaBisonFan
01-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Shawn Bibeau and Nick Compton will have breakout years

Not arguing...but what is it about Compton? What's his background...etc?

X-Factor
01-27-2008, 07:03 AM
What's the background on Austin? Where from? Position? How heavily was he recruited? Size? etc.

Not arguing...but what is it about Compton? What's his background...etc?

www.gobison.com ->football -> roster -> Nick Compton/Austin Richards/???

Hmmm...our very own Tim Tebow? Is that the kind of athlete we're talking about here? Seriously...does he have that kind of skill?

Now before anyone comes after me for this...I know that there aren't many Tebow types of athletes out there...but what I'm asking is whether he has a game that would resemble Tebow's.

probably not quite a fair comparison. I don't think Mertens has near the athleticism that Tebow has. From what I have seen Mertens is mobile though, A LOT more mobile than Walker ever was. We shall see when fall camp rolls around but I would guess Mertens will use his legs mostly when the passing lanes are shut down and there is no other option. I doubt we will have very many if any designed runs for him. IMO our offense is too good to waste plays on something like that.

Thunder_Struck
01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
and our backup QB's are not like they have at Florida if the starter gets banged up and can't go one week.

BisonNeil
01-27-2008, 08:01 PM
and our backup QB's are not like they have at Florida if the starter gets banged up and can't go one week.

Which supports my continuing argument that we need QB recruits. If Mertens goes down we are in serious trouble, IMHO. Walker got hurt his Soph yr scrambling, as I recall. Tebow got hurt running this year, and despite the depth you perceive at FL, they struggled in his absence. QBs have been under-recruited in recent years, unfortunately.

tony
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, I sure hope the breakout player for 2008 is Nick Mertens. :)

On defense, I'll go with Matt Anderson just because I loved what I saw of him on special teams. However, it's tough to pick a defensive player because I think there are a ton of guys just waiting to shine.

FWIW (and in my case, that would be nothing*), I got the impression last year that the safety positions have the most room for improvement. Plus we're also losing David Earl who was an absolute iron man so it'd be nice to see some DBs step up like Agbetola did (btw, am I the only one who thinks "Abe Vigoda?" ... Yeah, that's what I thought - I'm the only one).

* For future reference, I'm only an authority on two subjects: Byzantine/Ottoman history and Buffy the Vampire plot lines. Everything else I say can safely be chalked up to ignorance.

OldBison
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Well, I sure how the breakout player for 2008 is Nick Mertens. :)

On defense, I'll go with Matt Anderson just because I loved what I saw of him on special teams. However, it's tough to pick a defensive player because I think there are a ton of guys just waiting to shine.

FWIW (and in my case, that would be nothing*), I got the impression last year that the safety positions have the most room for improvement. Plus we're also losing David Earl who was an absolute iron man so it'd be nice to see some DBs step up like Agbetola did (btw, am I the only one who thinks "Abe Vigoda?" ... Yeah, that's what I thought - I'm the only one).

* For future reference, I'm only an authority on two subjects: Byzantine/Ottoman history and Buffy the Vampire plot lines. Everything else I say can safely be chalked up to ignorance.

Hilarious, I love it!

Can't argue with your picks for breakout either, although I am personally rooting for McNorton and Holloway/Williams.

TheHerd_DARKSIDE
01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Breakout Freshman for 2008

Offense:
Warren Holloway, WR - Tall, good speed, great hands, tore up 1st team Offense
D.J. McNorton, RB - Shifty, not the fastest, also tore up 1st team Offense
Matt Veldman, TE - TALL, needs some meat on his bones though

Defense:
Garrett Johnson, DE - Very good speed for his size! Strong! Went up against the 1st Team All-American Nate Safe last year everyday! He'll be a standout!
Eddie Beson, LB - Traveled with the team last year, very strong! He'll be a great LB in the future
George Danilkowicz, DT - Big kid with lost of potential, had a knee injury in highschool which bothered him this past fall, should be ready to go!

d3boys
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Breakout Freshman for 2008

Offense:
Warren Holloway, WR - Tall, good speed, great hands, tore up 1st team Offense
D.J. McNorton, RB - Shifty, not the fastest, also tore up 1st team Offense
Matt Veldman, TE - TALL, needs some meat on his bones though

Defense:
Garrett Johnson, DE - Very good speed for his size! Strong! Went up against the 1st Team All-American Nate Safe last year everyday! He'll be a standout!
Eddie Beson, LB - Traveled with the team last year, very strong! He'll be a great LB in the future
George Danilkowicz, DT - Big kid with lost of potential, had a knee injury in highschool which bothered him this past fall, should be ready to go!

good inside info, appreciate it