PDA

View Full Version : deep at corner

Bison"FANatic"
01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Here is a link to a story the Forum is running tomorrow. Nothing we hadn't discussed here but It is nice to see it in the Forum.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=188830

aces1180
01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is a link to a story the Forum is running tomorrow. Nothing we hadn't discussed here but It is nice to see it in the Forum.

This is a great sign for next year.

Scooter1
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
It's good to see that Melvin Thomas got things squared away with his grades. He could have taken a different road and gone where the accedemic requirements aren't as high.

Question: With Melvin enrolling this semester, does this technically give him a redshirt year and then four more years, or does this next semester use up a year of eligibility.

Mr. Burgundy
01-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I am guessing that Melvin Thomas was the Safety in from Houston that I mentioned last week? He must have been the guy who was visiting last year and didn't end up coming? Anyone?

CaBisonFan
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM

This is the kind of coverage that can be almost a daily thing for the Forum. And it will be nice to see the Bison with some options for rotating people in the pass coverage. I still think it's amazing that the Bison defense did as well as it did, being so thin in the defensive backfield.

90BISON
01-15-2008, 12:02 AM

So what, are they getting all their material from Bisonville now?:D Isn't that some sort of copyright infringement???;)

OldBison
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
It's good to see that Melvin Thomas got things squared away with his grades. He could have taken a different road and gone where the accedemic requirements aren't as high.

Question: With Melvin enrolling this semester, does this technically give him a redshirt year and then four more years, or does this next semester use up a year of eligibility.

I am not an expert, but I think if you can go to school but don't, your clock is still ticking. Remember the DT from AL who nursed his grandmother, I think he played on year at Auburn? When he got here he had only one year left.

Exceptions, I believe, is if you file in advance with the NCAA to go to prep school to get your academics in order, I think that delays your time clock. If you do nothing, it keeps ticking, just like it did for the big dudes a couple of years ago (one from SD, one from ND) who were also not academically eligible. They went to school here at NDSU, couldn't practice with the team, but lost their redshirt.

Again, I think this is the way it is, but I am not 100% sure. Bottom line is that if 2007 would have been his red-shirt year, then he has 4 yrs left. Great question though.

Hammersmith
01-15-2008, 02:19 AM
I don't know all the particulars of Melvin Thomas' situation, but if he never enrolled or took college classes, I don't think his 5-year clock started ticking. Also, if he took classes at another institution, as long as he wasn't a full time student, he should get the full five.

14.2.1.1 Determining the Start of the Five-Year Period. For purposes of starting the count of time under the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution (domestic or foreign; see Bylaw 14.02.3) when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the student’s first day of classes for that term (see Bylaw 14.2.2).

I could be wrong, however.

X-Factor
01-15-2008, 05:09 AM

I wonder if this might be considered a "grey" shirt. Or something similar in theory anyway. I doubt he will lose eligibility he wasn't enrolled at NDSU.