PDA

View Full Version : The Summit League is a tough climb.....

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
We are just a fraction of the way through the first season of the Bison being a member of the Summit League, and it is appearing to be a tough climb to reach the top. This Bison fan has been surprised by how tough the competition has been and how much more work there is to do to get us ready for post season action.

The first conference series of the season, which featured ORU and Centenary gave us an early sighn that the league would be no cake walk. But, the men were somewhat competative at ORU and pulled off a nice OT win at Centenary. With ORU being the top team in the league, one would have suspected a rough time on thier home court.

Next up was the IPFW and oakland series at the BSA. After a domineering performance against IPFW, it seemed the Bison would also roll over Oakland, but, the tenacity proved too much for the Herd and we saw our nice home court winning streak endd.

Now we are half way through the next series, a road series, featuring IUPUI and Western Illinois. Last night the Herd played infront of a crowd so small that one could see almost NO home court advantage and the Bison got thumped. Thumped hard!

So, after the introduction to the Summit League, the Bison find themselves with a 2-3 league record that places them tied for 6th. Dreams of any post season invites are disappearing like wisps of fog on a sunny morning.

It is becoming more clear, that the past seasons have not had the tough day in and day out competition that this league has. Some how the Bison need to find a way to put league wins together. And, if we are to even get a sniff of the NCAA next season, the Bison will need to do a bit of roster enhancement to be competative in the challenging conference we call the Summit.

TheDoctor
01-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice work Wyoming. I couldn't have said it better myself. Even with the addition next year of a big man and the 3 guys being seniors will NOT be an easy road. I have to say, I am a little surprised as well. ;)

lakesbison
01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Carlson would've helped out a lot.

lets get Carlson into the mix, and then a JUCO and lets PLAY & get to the NCAA's, 3 games is ALL IT TAKES IN MARCH, REMEMBER!

WOODY
NELLY
WINKY
CARLSON
JUCO BIG MAN

Moorman, Sussy off bench in paint
Freddy, LO RIL off bench for banging
Vaughn off bench for 3's
Pennick off bench for defense.

d3boys
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
We are just a fraction of the way through the first season of the Bison being a member of the Summit League, and it is appearing to be a tough climb to reach the top. This Bison fan has been surprised by how tough the competition has been and how much more work there is to do to get us ready for post season action.

The first conference series of the season, which featured ORU and Centenary gave us an early sighn that the league would be no cake walk. But, the men were somewhat competative at ORU and pulled off a nice OT win at Centenary. With ORU being the top team in the league, one would have suspected a rough time on thier home court.

Next up was the IPFW and oakland series at the BSA. After a domineering performance against IPFW, it seemed the Bison would also roll over Oakland, but, the tenacity proved too much for the Herd and we saw our nice home court winning streak endd.

Now we are half way through the next series, a road series, featuring IUPUI and Western Illinois. Last night the Herd played infront of a crowd so small that one could see almost NO home court advantage and the Bison got thumped. Thumped hard!

So, after the introduction to the Summit League, the Bison find themselves with a 2-3 league record that places them tied for 6th. Dreams of any post season invites are disappearing like wisps of fog on a sunny morning.

It is becoming more clear, that the past seasons have not had the tough day in and day out competition that this league has. Some how the Bison need to find a way to put league wins together. And, if we are to even get a sniff of the NCAA next season, the Bison will need to do a bit of roster enhancement to be competative in the challenging conference we call the Summit.

I would think what we wanted was to be in a tough conference to help us get better and when we do get to the top of this conference maybe we can down the road move up to a better conference an keep getting stronger as we are able to get better recruits

roadwarrior
01-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I am wondering if the team thought the Summit League was going to be easier than they have found?

TheBisonator
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I have a question: I have heard that we are both ineligible for the NIT, and also that we're eligible for it. I know that the NCAA bought the NIT during our transition. Does anyone know for sure if NDSU is eligible for the NIT this year if we win the regular season (which is a long shot, but still possible)??

BisBison
01-12-2008, 02:53 AM
I have a question: I have heard that we are both ineligible for the NIT, and also that we're eligible for it. I know that the NCAA bought the NIT during our transition. Does anyone know for sure if NDSU is eligible for the NIT this year if we win the regular season (which is a long shot, but still possible)??

Gene Taylor at a meeting in Mandan on Oct 24 with 35 boosters said "the NIT is not an option for us this year" He added that since the NCAA bought the NIT they instituted the same qualifications for it as for the big dance with respect to eligibility. This doesn't pertain to the WNIT, as this still independent, but I don't think many of us thought that mattered to us this year.

NDSUFREAK
01-12-2008, 03:26 AM
there were more people at the South basketball game tonight than at IUPUI....

TheDoctor
01-12-2008, 06:05 AM
there were more people at the South basketball game tonight than at IUPUI....

:rofl: and South isn't even that good....:rofl:

heckler
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Guess it is safe to say that home court advantage for the other team probably didn't play a role in our loss.

jackrabbits
01-12-2008, 09:22 PM

lets get Carlson into the mix, and then a JUCO and lets PLAY & get to the NCAA's, 3 games is ALL IT TAKES IN MARCH, REMEMBER!

WOODY
NELLY
WINKY
CARLSON
JUCO BIG MAN

Moorman, Sussy off bench in paint
Freddy, LO RIL off bench for banging
Vaughn off bench for 3's

What about Tviedt? He was starting at the beginning of the year - Is he still playing quite a bit?

99Bison
01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
What about Tviedt? He was starting at the beginning of the year - Is he still playing quite a bit?

Yes, he's coming off as the 6th man now - gives atleast some score possibility spark. Pennick is out with broken fingure now also. Vaughan is usually starting (I think).

99Bison
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM

WOODY
NELLY
WINKY
CARLSON
JUCO BIG MAN

Moorman, Sussy,LO RIL off bench in paint
Tveidt off bench for a points.
Freddy off bench for athleticism and spark.
Vaughn off bench for ?

Slight mods for ya... :D

IBleedYellow
01-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Perfect statment Wyo, Harder climb than I first thought. Humbling, no doubt.

Bison"FANatic"
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
It is definetely humbling. That last road trip was disheartening. The loss at home was tough but we were a turnover machine. As they were called on the radio "oooh eeee poooo eeee" IUPUI sounded like they were a good team didn't get to watch it but listened. The western Ill. game was unexpected we held it close till what about 10 min then get blown out. I thought we would be able to be in most games but this is a tough league. Welcome to full D1 basketball. I can't waite to see the team improve though. Just because it its tough I can't see us being a bottom dweller team. We will step it up.

I think we just "stepped into the summit" and did not "step up to the summit".

sambini
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Tough league and you better be ready to PLAY or you will get beat.

TheBisonator
01-14-2008, 07:08 PM
It is definetely humbling. That last road trip was disheartening. The loss at home was tough but we were a turnover machine. As they were called on the radio "oooh eeee poooo eeee" IUPUI sounded like they were a good team didn't get to watch it but listened. The western Ill. game was unexpected we held it close till what about 10 min then get blown out. I thought we would be able to be in most games but this is a tough league. Welcome to full D1 basketball. I can't waite to see the team improve though. Just because it its tough I can't see us being a bottom dweller team. We will step it up.

I think we just "stepped into the summit" and did not "step up to the summit".

I hope to God we don't become a perrenial bottom-dweller. There's one thing that excites me more than even an FCS national championship, and that's a trip to the Big Dance in basketball. That's my biggest fantasy about Bison athletics. Well, that and a new 10,000-seat basketball arena and 30,000-seat outdoor football stadium.:D

BisBison
01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I hope to God we don't become a perrenial bottom-dweller. There's one thing that excites me more than even an FCS national championship, and that's a trip to the Big Dance in basketball. That's my biggest fantasy about Bison athletics. Well, that and a new 10,000-seat basketball arena and 30,000-seat indoor/outdoor football stadium.:D

fixed it for ya:p

90BISON
01-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I hope to God we don't become a perrenial bottom-dweller. There's one thing that excites me more than even an FCS national championship, and that's a trip to the Big Dance in basketball. That's my biggest fantasy about Bison athletics. Well, that and a new 10,000-seat basketball arena and 30,000-seat outdoor football stadium.:D

Why set your sights so low?;)

90BISON
01-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Seems to me like most of the games I have been to and listened to have a common theme. We usually shoot out of the gate really strong, but fizzle at the end, can't finish an opponent off. Could be too many minutes in too many tough games by the starters, and just plain run out of gas near the end of the game (physically and mentally). Definately no coasting to be done this season.

bisoneer
01-15-2008, 03:43 AM
We have got to pick it up a notch, I'm sure the travel is a pain in the butt for the players but we need to go 500 on the road to be in the top 1/3 of this league, its a tough one. New gyms, new refs, etc etc, its no excuse. LETS GO BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDoctor
01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Did Saul say anything about recruiting on Hammer this afternoon? I hope he addresses it at lunch on Thursday. Where are we this week?????????? ;)