PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Shows

DIGRAPPLER
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

Looks like McFeeley is barking up this tree again. I hope he gets some more facts for his article. I think he is missing a few items. The show was statewide, I don't think it was ever statewide, so the geographic are he is mentioning would be a lot bigger if you add in Bismark, Dickinson, Minot TV stations. Albeit, the time slot was the same statewide, it definitely gives you more TV's- doesn't it? The Bison had 3 statewide televised games this year on NBC. What were the ratings for that? I bet the folks out west appreciated the increase coverage this year! I for one am a church going fella, but I go at 9:00 so I was ALWAYs home for the show. When I wasn't home, it went on the Tivo. When the games were good, I watched it again online (Cal Poly). He takes a nice pot shot at Taylor and Bohl by calling them arrogant, ignorant, or stupid for making the decision to move the show. I am sure Taylor put some thought into his decision, so I hope McF is professional enough to ask Taylor the reasons behind his decision. I am not defending the time, cause I don't think it is ideal, but I am pleased about the big picture improvements to television and radio this year.

bisonaudit
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Once you get done blasting McFeely you got down to making some sense.

His entire point, which you happen to agree with, is that the time slot is terrible. Maybe that's the price you pay to get some of the other things that you mentioned, hopefully we'll find out.

Also it makes no sense not to have the basketball show(s). Of couse there's not much point in broadcasting a 30 minute infomercial for your University if it's time slot makes it the proverbial tree falling in the wilderness. Abscent some serious and explicitly enumerated benefits in the larger media deal, NDSU has got to get these show back to 10:30 PM.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I really wish he would have mentioned Internet and DVR viewings...This is his second blog about the issue and he has yet to cover these important aspects...Not good.

Scooter1
01-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah, maybe McFeeley could have laid off the "arrogant" lable a bit, but in this case I have to agree with the guy about 10:30 AM on a Sunday for a football program being an absolutely terrible time slot for a coaches show.

He is right that the viewing disparity is due to the time slot choice. However, there may be another way to compare the two viewing numbers by NDSU and UND that I like better. It is better to have an extra 10,000 fans actually at a game than fans that get their updates while they scratch their balls on the couch on a Sunday night. When UND starts selling out that pittiful stadium they play in and have a line outside of 4000 people waiting to get in, I don't think anyone should even be attempting to make lame ass comparisons about fan base.

Or, maybe the real story should be the real reason why UND just can't seam to get fans to show up to a football game. Is it an inferior product? The support is the same, it has to be something. :-)

DIGRAPPLER
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
The main point that I was trying to make was that I think what NDSU gained in televised games and statewide coverage was of greater value than the 10:30pm time slot for a coaches show. That is why I would be curious to hear Gene's decision process.

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
The main point that I was trying to make was that I think what NDSU gained in televised games and statewide coverage was of greater value than the 10:30pm time slot for a coaches show. That is why I would be curious to hear Gene's decision process.

Exactly, you, me, mcfeely and everyone else don't know the whole story and what the behind the scenes agreements were. Maybe they needed to fill the AM time slot and offered it as part of the TV deals. We will see what continues with the show. I am sure that what is best for NDSU will get done. Sometimes it is give and take. Sometimes things are tried and then are switched back to the old way.

Herd
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Do I watch the Bohl show, you damn right. Do I watch it at 10:30am, no I don't think I saw it once at 10:30am. Its either TIVO or web, but I don't miss one.

HerdBot
01-10-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

Looks like McFeeley is barking up this tree again. I hope he gets some more facts for his article. I think he is missing a few items. The show was statewide, I don't think it was ever statewide, so the geographic are he is mentioning would be a lot bigger if you add in Bismark, Dickinson, Minot TV stations. Albeit, the time slot was the same statewide, it definitely gives you more TV's- doesn't it? The Bison had 3 statewide televised games this year on NBC. What were the ratings for that? I bet the folks out west appreciated the increase coverage this year! I for one am a church going fella, but I go at 9:00 so I was ALWAYs home for the show. When I wasn't home, it went on the Tivo. When the games were good, I watched it again online (Cal Poly). He takes a nice pot shot at Taylor and Bohl by calling them arrogant, ignorant, or stupid for making the decision to move the show. I am sure Taylor put some thought into his decision, so I hope McF is professional enough to ask Taylor the reasons behind his decision. I am not defending the time, cause I don't think it is ideal, but I am pleased about the big picture improvements to television and radio this year.

So McFeely used Fargo and Grand Forks together to support his claim but didn't use the rest of the state when throwing together Bison numbers? What a fraud. Bet you a buck he doesn't include it in some article he writes. Sounds like a used car sales man to me and an unethical one too! The sad part is he does it because he can. He takes a caller (probably Lakes sorry buddy) that he disagrees with and overreacts to it by playing bully. It's pretty comical that we hve that much effect on the guy. Sounds too thin skinned to be a professional. Notice how he's ramped up his Sioux coverage? Maybe we could post as Sioux fans ripping on him and he will freak out and go anti Sioux.

HerdBot
01-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Great point. It only diminishes the importantce of a coaches show. Wonder why they are pulling the BB show? Why waste the money on it if we can sell out every game without it. Overpriced advertising by WDAY

DIBISON
01-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Once again, the 10:30 AM time slot for the coache's show is not good, but that was part of the overall package which included statewide NBC coverage of 3 Bison football games. If the number of viewers of those games were considered within the overall context of ALL TV coverage for Bison football, the Bison come way out ahead.

NDSU1980
01-11-2008, 02:19 AM
One thing I've learned is to never second guess either Taylor or Chapman. They both use sound reasoning when making decisions.......nothing rash. They get paid big bucks to do this and I'm not going to worry whether they do the right thing. I've seen way too many things turn out good to ever wonder why. JMHO.

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2008, 03:22 AM
I just know that from my personal TV habits, I would not think that the Sunday AM slot would be good at all......

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 03:45 AM
I just know that from my personal TV habits, I would not think that the Sunday AM slot would be good at all......

Or would that be sleeping-recovery habits???:D PL

bisonaudit
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Once again, the 10:30 AM time slot for the coache's show is not good, but that was part of the overall package which included statewide NBC coverage of 3 Bison football games. If the number of viewers of those games were considered within the overall context of ALL TV coverage for Bison football, the Bison come way out ahead.

I'd like to here more from the powers that be about this because I don't think that the package guaranteed TV coverage for 3 games. I think that 3 games got picked up along the way because for whatever reason the local NBC affiliate was able to gather enough advertiser interest to make it work for them.

Maybe with the writers strike, the general state of wothless programing coming out of the network establishment, and the proliferation of stations diluting ratings, we'll see this trend (more local programming) continue.