PDA

View Full Version : Naming rights for the new BBall arena

AKBison
01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Here is an article out of wichita which talks about the purchase of naming rights for the citys new downtown arena. A lot of people on here have tossed around the $15 million dollar figure in regards to what we could get. However, if Wichita only got 14.75 million for the naming rights for its new 15,000 seat downtown arena, I don't see Fargo pulling in more than 7-8 Million dollar package. 5 million from Scheels for the outside naming rights with another Million coming from concourse/connecting hall naming rights.

The Sedgwick County arena is nameless no more. Get used to calling it the Intrust Bank Arena for the next quarter-century or so. On Wednesday, county commissioners approved a $14.5 million package granting naming rights to the arena and some of its component parts to Intrust, Cessna Aircraft and Spirit AeroSystems.

Intrust will hang its name on the building as a whole. The exterior plaza will be named for Cessna and the interior concourse will carry the Spirit brand.

• Intrust will pay $8.75 million: $7 million for the naming rights for 25 years, plus $1.75 million for rights to a luxury skybox and tickets to all arena events.

• Spirit and Cessna will each pay $3 million for naming rights for 20 years, with an option for a five-year extension. Their deals also include skybox and ticket rights.

For the naming rights alone, the companies' payments work out to a lower amount per year than for arenas in Oklahoma City, Omaha and Tulsa, but higher than in Little Rock.

According to a formula in Superlative's contract, the company will make about $1 million in commissions for selling the naming rights.

I hope we don't shell that kind of money out.

Does anyone know how much Alerus payed for the tin can up north? Wasn't it something like 2.5 million?

http://www.kansas.com/news/story/277113.html

bisonaudit
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Can probably also do a deal for naming rights to the court itself. But I can't disagree with the idea that $15 million is a big ask.

mebisonII
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Fun fact...a friend of mine (and NDSU grad) works at Spirit!

tony
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know how much Alerus payed for the tin can up north? Wasn't it something like 2.5 million?

It was $3 million over 20 years - not sure it was an all-cash deal either.

TheBisonator
01-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Looks NDSU will have to fundraise at least $11-12 million.

If we were able to fundraise about $10 million for the BSA expansion, we're certainly capable of raising the same amount for the arena.

Is there any chance we can slide over the $10 mill raised so far for the BSA towards the new arena?? I think we need a new arena NOW. We can renovate the BSA later.

bisonmike2
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM

If we were able to fundraise about $10 million for the BSA expansion, we're certainly capable of raising the same amount for the arena.

Is there any chance we can slide over the $10 mill raised so far for the BSA towards the new arena?? I think we need a new arena NOW. We can renovate the BSA later.

I wish that would be possible but all indications are that the BSA will get done regardless and all of that $10 mill will be used. They are determined to upgrade that facility, especially the women's locker room area. Seems like a waste but they are probably covering themselves in case of a fallout.

imabison
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM

I seem to rember that its said somewhere the money has to be in place prior to the start of construction, or perhaps just an agreement.

Hopefully there is not delay to the start. I heard from a source that its NOT Scheels that they are pursuing the naming rights for but I did not pursue.

Possibly Gate City Bank??