PDA

View Full Version : The mother of all webpolls

HerdBot
01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
On the Bison Media blog, Hallstrom says he thinks 75% of Bison fans want to play UND in football. I thought it was a good time to put together a web poll.

Please visit the webpoll and vote.

Do you want to see NDSU play UND in football again?

http://bisonnation.homestead.com

aces1180
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I voted yes...Bring on the Suck!

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I would vote yes, but not yet. They need to simmer for a while yet. Their goose is not quite yet cooked.

*Cue a Lakesbison rant in 4-3-2-1...

aces1180
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I would vote yes, but not yet. They need to simmer for a while yet. Their goose is not quite yet cooked.

*Cue a Lakesbison rant in 4-3-2-1...

DUDE...IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!

WE ARE PAST THEM!!!....OUR RIVALS ARE FLORIDA, WISCONSIN and OHIO STATE!

I WAS AT THE NATIONAL SPELLING BEE and THERE WERE AT LEAST 20 NERDS WEARING NDSU SWEATSHIRTS AND HATS!!!! IT's TIME WE MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL!!!! THE GEOGRAPHY BEE!

*Just busting your balls Lakes

tcbison
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM

*Cue a Lakesbison rant in 4-3-2-1...\

I totally agree with this. I say let's play UND when they are through their transition. I am all for that. If we play UND now and they happen to win that will do nothing but make their day and their transition. It doesn't make sense to play UND next year because it hurts NDSU's chances at the playoffs. It sounds like the 2009 schedule is full. Sign them up for 2012.

HerdBot
01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
\

I totally agree with this. I say let's play UND when they are through their transition. I am all for that. If we play UND now and they happen to win that will do nothing but make their day and their transition. It doesn't make sense to play UND next year because it hurts NDSU's chances at the playoffs. It sounds like the 2009 schedule is full. Sign them up for 2012.

I'm against it now. I'm willing to keep my mind open in 2012. It makes no sense at all to do it now. They need to EARN respect the old fashioned way. In the time being, playoff games, SDSU, Gateway games against UNI, Youngstown, and SIU, AND games against D1-A teams excite me a lot more.

heckler
01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
A big, fat, and in your face... NO.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
On the Bison Media blog, Hallstrom says he thinks 75% of Bison fans want to play UND in football. I thought it was a good time to put together a web poll.

Please visit the webpoll and vote.

Do you want to see NDSU play UND in football again?

http://bisonnation.homestead.com

You do realize, however, that this poll is not representative of all fans...Only hardcore Bison fans who read your blog and Bisonville. Good idea though.

HerdBot
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM
You do realize, however, that this poll is not representative of all fans...Only hardcore Bison fans who read your blog and Bisonville. Good idea though.

and UND fans who desparately need a game that means something so it balances out in the end.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
and UND fans who desparately need a game that means something so it balances out in the end.

You are saying UND fans read your blog, visit your Web site and Bisonville? No offense, but the majority don't visit either.

Now if the Forum and GF Herald both did the same poll...

"Do you want to see NDSU and UND play each other in football?"

Yes, No, or I don't know

....then I think it would be a better reflection of the public's view on the issue.

Mandan_Herd_Fan
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Why not spank them now and show that they are not near our level?

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Why not spank them now and show that they are not near our level?
Because they would have an excuse at the ready. They actually have an excuse jar just for such an occasion. It is right next to their enrollment jar that they pick a figure out of each fall and spring.

heckler
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Because they would have an excuse at the ready. They actually have an excuse jar just for such an occasion. It is right next to their enrollment jar that they pick a figure out of each fall and spring.

Pure classic. Could be because their coach left, no pres, no AD, they could just keep going.

HerdBot
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
You are saying UND fans read your blog, visit your Web site and Bisonville? No offense, but the majority don't visit either.

Now if the Forum and GF Herald both did the same poll...

"Do you want to see NDSU and UND play each other in football?"

Yes, No, or I don't know

....then I think it would be a better reflection of the public's view on the issue.

They should do that webpoll on the Forum and Herald. Except not pre writeup to influence the vote. Do Sioux fans vist my blog? Definately not. I've had a helluva time getting more than 200 views per day. I can tell you tis... a lot of Sioux and Bison fans visit Bisonville and Sioux Sports so all it takes if for 1 Sioux fan to point it out the poll and they will flood it with yes votes.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
They should do that webpoll on the Forum and Herald. Except not pre writeup to influence the vote. Do Sioux fans vist my blog? Definately not. I've had a helluva time getting more than 200 views per day. I can tell you tis... a lot of Sioux and Bison fans visit Bisonville and Sioux Sports so all it takes if for 1 Sioux fan to point it out the poll and they will flood it with yes votes.

Good point...No writeup about the subject would be a good idea.

Jdubs21
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I think we should play them when they are elligible...cuz if we beat them now it would be because we are supposed to....but when we beat them after they have had 5 years to build their program to what ours is now...than it will be a TRUE rivalry game....and dont lie everyone...quit saying we are PAST them...i know deep down that in 5 years u ALL want to play them, those games we way to much fun so admitt it

NDSU1980
01-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I say play them in 2183 and no sooner. That's when I'm ready to discuss this issue also. How many times do we have say *******NO********?

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2008, 03:25 AM
I say play them in 2183 and no sooner. That's when I'm ready to discuss this issue also. How many times do we have say *******NO********?

No way.....no sooner than 2210!

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 03:41 AM
I think we should play them when they are elligible...cuz if we beat them now it would be because we are supposed to....but when we beat them after they have had 5 years to build their program to what ours is now...than it will be a TRUE rivalry game....and dont lie everyone...quit saying we are PAST them...i know deep down that in 5 years u ALL want to play them, those games we way to much fun so admitt it

If we played them tomorrow it would be be a TRUE Rivalry. Make no mistake about it. :D PL

HerdBot
01-11-2008, 04:51 AM
If we played them tomorrow it would be be a TRUE Rivalry. Make no mistake about it. :D PL

I don't think it would be good as you think. Think of the Sioux as an ex girlfriend from many years that you used to be madly in love with. You've been thinking about her for many years. You haven't seen her in a really long time and you see her and she's looking pretty good... your thinking... I gotta get me some of that... you get the opportunity to be with her... it's not that great at all. You remember why you broke up with her in the first place. She's a freakin' pirate hooker!! :)

heckler
01-11-2008, 05:09 AM
I don't think it would be good as you think. Think of the Sioux as an ex girlfriend from many years that you used to be madly in love with. You've been thinking about her for many years. You haven't seen her in a really long time and you see her and she's looking pretty good... your thinking... I gotta get me some of that... you get the opportunity to be with her... it's not that great at all. You remember why you broke up with her in the first place. She's a freakin' pirate hooker!! :)

I never thought I would have my ex-girlfriends compared to the Sioux and then called a pirate hookers.... Can't get any better!!

TransAmBison
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Ahhh, the UND Pirate Hookers! I'd like to see a defamation lawsuit suing UND to remove that nickname as well because they are ruining the good name of pirate hookers!!!!!!

Da Bison
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Ahhh, the UND Pirate Hookers! I'd like to see a defamation lawsuit suing UND to remove that nickname as well because they are ruining the good name of pirate hookers!!!!!!

I think we should send this to Chucky. He would have a ready nickname and just think of the logo possibilities.

HerdBot
01-11-2008, 02:26 PM

LOL!! OMG that is funny! The UND Dirty Pirate Hookers! The Pride of ND! Need a logo!

TransAmBison
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
LOL!! OMG that is funny! The UND Dirty Pirate Hookers! The Pride of ND! Need a logo!
I think of My Name is Earl, with "Daytime Hookers"

lakesbison
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT THIS ALREADY!!

ITS BEEN 5 FREAKIN YEARS!>. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE>

THERE.. I waited 3 pages of POSTS... I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!

F them and the horse they DONT have.

BlueBisonRock
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM

You don't like 'Dirty Pirate Hookers' as a recommended nickname?

bincitysioux
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I see no benefit to either school in playing a football game anytime soon.

Basketball is another story IMHO.

TransAmBison
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM

After Aces doing his impression the other day of this, all I can think of is Lakes being Aces puppet. My thought, "Funny, I don't even see Aces lips moving!"

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM

The ex girl friend analogy has been beat to death and isnt relevant. But let talk relevant.
Iowa didnt play Iowas state for YEARs. Same excusees were given, talent levels etc. When they play that ticket is harder to get than for Michigan. another ex. Iowa has played MN for the Pig since time memorial. That was our big rival. It pales in comparison to the ISU rivalry.

But hey as Ive said before. You dont want to see the Sioux Play the Bison---Dont go to the game. Pretty simple. One things for sure. When the game is played there wont be any game day walk up tickets to be had. It will sellout before gameday.
But thats not the reason to resume the game. Its called tradition and the fact they are our only true rival. Yeah yeah yeah SDSU and the Marker. Yawn. A Manufactured rivalry was nice in the absence of UND. But We could go on and on about that but then that ground has been covered many times also. PL

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Lakes if youve had enough---leave. Pretty simple isnt it. :D PL

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
You don't like 'Dirty Pirate Hookers' as a recommended nickname?

It just doesnt roll off the tongue as well as just plain old Dirty Hookers. IMO. But when it comes to that subject I guess you would need to consult with Slick and Lakes.:D PL

aces1180
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
After Aces doing his impression the other day of this, all I can think of is Lakes being Aces puppet. My thought, "Funny, I don't even see Aces lips moving!"

You don't want to know where my hand is though.

TransAmBison
01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
You don't want to know where my hand is though.
Yeah, that was a mental picture that I tried unsuccessfully not to have!!! :D

KC Bison
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Like Moorhead State and Concordia, its time to leave that school from North behind. End all this talk. This is simply an attempt the media trying to drum up pressure to have a BISON - sue game.

Jdubs21
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM

haha wow gabe...that was deep

NDSU1980
01-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Like Moorhead State and Concordia, its time to leave that school from North behind. End all this talk. This is simply an attempt the media trying to drum up pressure to have a BISON - sue game.

Rep points, my friend. No game, and hopefully the end of this stupid discussion. Talk about the sue all any wants, but no more talk about playing them. they ended it, remember?

HerdBot
01-13-2008, 06:13 AM
The ex girl friend analogy has been beat to death and isnt relevant. But let talk relevant.
Iowa didnt play Iowas state for YEARs. Same excusees were given, talent levels etc. When they play that ticket is harder to get than for Michigan. another ex. Iowa has played MN for the Pig since time memorial. That was our big rival. It pales in comparison to the ISU rivalry.

But hey as Ive said before. You dont want to see the Sioux Play the Bison---Dont go to the game. Pretty simple. One things for sure. When the game is played there wont be any game day walk up tickets to be had. It will sellout before gameday.
But thats not the reason to resume the game. Its called tradition and the fact they are our only true rival. Yeah yeah yeah SDSU and the Marker. Yawn. A Manufactured rivalry was nice in the absence of UND. But We could go on and on about that but then that ground has been covered many times also. PL

You need to move forward. UND is part of our Divison 2 past just like Concordia and MSU were before them. We moved on without them.

The Bison-Sioux rivalry wasn't always as big as it was when it stopped... it was partially created by years of media hype and there were years in which it was just another game. UND was our D2 rivalry.

SDSU is our D1 rivalry. We've been playing SDSU for 60-70 years so it's not a manufactured game. The games just mean more now. Rivalries have to start some where and I'm sure back when the Bison first played the Sioux, nobody thought it was that special. You just don't recognize something great AS IT IS HAPPENING! You need some sort of reference point. 100 years from now, people will look back to the beginning of the Dakota Marker trophy which was the beginning of a D1 era.

I was at the last 2 SDSU games and I have no idea how you could say the atmosphere is not one of a rivalry. It was completely instense at both stadiums and the players and fans were really into it. If I had to pick any game, #1 is SDSU. 7,000 Bison fans driving to SD when it was below freezing with a record crowd is the sign of a rivalry.

56BISON73
01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
You need to move forward. UND is part of our Divison 2 past just like Concordia and MSU were before them. We moved on without them.

The Bison-Sioux rivalry wasn't always as big as it was when it stopped... it was partially created by years of media hype and there were years in which it was just another game. UND was our D2 rivalry.

SDSU is our D1 rivalry. We've been playing SDSU for 60-70 years so it's not a manufactured game. The games just mean more now. Rivalries have to start some where and I'm sure back when the Bison first played the Sioux, nobody thought it was that special. You just don't recognize something great AS IT IS HAPPENING! You need some sort of reference point. 100 years from now, people will look back to the beginning of the Dakota Marker trophy which was the beginning of a D1 era.

I was at the last 2 SDSU games and I have no idea how you could say the atmosphere is not one of a rivalry. It was completely instense at both stadiums and the players and fans were really into it. If I had to pick any game, #1 is SDSU. 7,000 Bison fans driving to SD when it was below freezing with a record crowd is the sign of a rivalry.

Iam sure it had the feel of a rivaly in the absence of a real one. How many fans would have made the trip if the bison were 5-5 and not playing for a confernce championship and a undefeated season????
Be honest with yourself now.

Yes we have been playing SDSU for 60-70 years and Just now it becomes our rival???? LOL
So TWO intense games and a piece of rock make a rivalry???? yeah thats a good one. :D

But here is an interesting quote from you---

"""
"""The Bison-Sioux rivalry wasn't always as big as it was when it stopped... it was partially created by years of media hype and there were years in which it was just another game.""""

Now in reflection----

The SDSU game was ALWAYS just ANOTHER game but now the supposed rivalry WAS manufactured by media hype and the NEED for a rival.
But truthfully it had more to do with the fact that the two SUs went thru the transition together. If you want to think SDSU is our rival I have no problems with that.
As Ive posted before. Two rivals are great.

BUT The UND rivalry didnt NEED the media to hype it. Its been going on for over 100 years. 5 years doesnt wipe that out no matter how many times you say it. As a matter of fact the circumstances between the two schools has actually intensified the rivalry.
Here is another thing to think about. If there wasnt a rivalry between the two schools there wouldnt be anybody posting about it.

UND is now D1. Only in transition just like the Bison were. So the D2 stuff doesnt make it unless you dont think all the D2 championships are nothing now also?
All we have done is move up a division in name only. In effect all we are really doing is getting back to where we origianally were in D2 years ago when the schollies were higher before they were cut down. All the same teams are here and many of our old NCC foes as well. So there is no supposed moving forward. You see weve been here before.

UND is in the same division now. The only difference is we made the move sooner. Just like UNI made the move before us. No difference EXCEPT for past circumstances and that what this whole pissing match is all about. It really has NOTHING to do with weve moved on, and every other conceived and contrived excuse man can think of. Its nothing more than hard feelings. So just call it what it is. PL

HerdBot
01-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Iam sure it had the feel of a rivaly in the absence of a real one. How many fans would have made the trip if the bison were 5-5 and not playing for a confernce championship and a undefeated season????
Be honest with yourself now.

Yes we have been playing SDSU for 60-70 years and Just now it becomes our rival???? LOL
So TWO intense games and a piece of rock make a rivalry???? yeah thats a good one. :D

But here is an interesting quote from you---

"""
"""The Bison-Sioux rivalry wasn't always as big as it was when it stopped... it was partially created by years of media hype and there were years in which it was just another game.""""

Now in reflection----

The SDSU game was ALWAYS just ANOTHER game but now the supposed rivalry WAS manufactured by media hype and the NEED for a rival.
But truthfully it had more to do with the fact that the two SUs went thru the transition together. If you want to think SDSU is our rival I have no problems with that.
As Ive posted before. Two rivals are great.

BUT The UND rivalry didnt NEED the media to hype it. Its been going on for over 100 years. 5 years doesnt wipe that out no matter how many times you say it. As a matter of fact the circumstances between the two schools has actually intensified the rivalry.
Here is another thing to think about. If there wasnt a rivalry between the two schools there wouldnt be anybody posting about it.

UND is now D1. Only in transition just like the Bison were. So the D2 stuff doesnt make it unless you dont think all the D2 championships are nothing now also?
All we have done is move up a division in name only. In effect all we are really doing is getting back to where we origianally were in D2 years ago when the schollies were higher before they were cut down. All the same teams are here and many of our old NCC foes as well. So there is no supposed moving forward. You see weve been here before.

UND is in the same division now. The only difference is we made the move sooner. Just like UNI made the move before us. No difference EXCEPT for past circumstances and that what this whole pissing match is all about. It really has NOTHING to do with weve moved on, and every other conceived and contrived excuse man can think of. Its nothing more than hard feelings. So just call it what it is. PL

SDSU was just another D2 game. We're D1 now. In our D2 bus league days we had many attractive rivalry games close by in the 3 state region. 6 to be exact. We had USD, SDSU, UND, Mankato, St Cloud, Augustana. Now it's down to SDSU and that's it. So to say it's not meaningful to play the only D1 team (not called the Gophers) in ND, SD, and MN is silly.

BlueBisonRock
01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
SDSU was just another D2 game. We're D1 now. In our D2 bus league days we had many attractive rivalry games close by in the 3 state region. 6 to be exact. We had USD, SDSU, UND, Mankato, St Cloud, Augustana. Now it's down to SDSU and that's it. So to say it's not meaningful to play the only D1 team (not called the Gophers) in ND, SD, and MN is silly.

Before D1, NDSU was Division II. Before D2, NDSU was 'Small College' (say about 1973). There was a time well before 'Small College tag' that all teams were considered in the same class.
The first football game ever played by the NDAC (to become NDSU) was against the University of North Dakota. AND it took three years to make it happen. What amazes me is the first NDAC - UND football game was played before my Grandfather immigrated to this country.
Now when we (NDSU) were 'Small College' we had rivals that include some, but not all of the colleges you list. Let’s narrow the list down to UNI, UND, and the SD schools. Mankato and St. Cloud were NOT on the 'I give a sh!t list'. And (forgive me, but) Augie was never a force to be reckoned with.
Net: In NDSU’s pre D2 AND D2 days we had one rival and one tough team to play. That era lasted from the late 1890’s until the AD with two first names and President CupKake stepped soundly on their respective ‘Richards’.
The rival from the beginning and through the D2 days has been that institution ‘lacking esteem that is located 70 miles north of Fargo’. We can go with the Orwellian 1984 scenario and change history to meet our needs, or we can acknowledge history as it occurred.
Moving on: It does not bother me that you do not want to play the University of ND. In fact, it does not bother me that you despise this institution. However, It does piss me off when you attempt to distort and ignore history. If you stick to the historical facts, you will have some credibility. If you manufacture facts, …. Well, you know the answer.
We can wanna play. We can despise playing. Either is OK. Ignoring and skewing the 100 plus years of history is not OK. OK? ;)
Stick to the facts and you will do well.

HerdBot
01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Before D1, NDSU was Division II. Before D2, NDSU was 'Small College' (say about 1973). There was a time well before 'Small College tag' that all teams were considered in the same class.
The first football game ever played by the NDAC (to become NDSU) was against the University of North Dakota. AND it took three years to make it happen. What amazes me is the first NDAC - UND football game was played before my Grandfather immigrated to this country.
Now when we (NDSU) were 'Small College' we had rivals that include some, but not all of the colleges you list. Let’s narrow the list down to UNI, UND, and the SD schools. Mankato and St. Cloud were NOT on the 'I give a sh!t list'. And (forgive me, but) Augie was never a force to be reckoned with.
Net: In NDSU’s pre D2 AND D2 days we had one rival and one tough team to play. That era lasted from the late 1890’s until the AD with two first names and President CupKake stepped soundly on their respective ‘Richards’.
The rival from the beginning and through the D2 days has been that institution ‘lacking esteem that is located 70 miles north of Fargo’. We can go with the Orwellian 1984 scenario and change history to meet our needs, or we can acknowledge history as it occurred.
Moving on: It does not bother me that you do not want to play the University of ND. In fact, it does not bother me that you despise this institution. However, It does piss me off when you attempt to distort and ignore history. If you stick to the historical facts, you will have some credibility. If you manufacture facts, …. Well, you know the answer.
We can wanna play. We can despise playing. Either is OK. Ignoring and skewing the 100 plus years of history is not OK. OK? ;)
Stick to the facts and you will do well.

A rivalry becomes a rivalry because it has fans of both teams at games. Back in 1890, not many people had cars so UND was the obvious choice. I'm sure they cold hop on the horse and take a road trip to Grand FOrks. :) Back in 1890, the biggest game, which probably had less than a thousand fans and the TV hadn't been invented yet! I'm sure the games all the way into the the 1950's didn't draw that well either.

Now a game vs a winless Southern Utah draws 15K. So it's probably fair to say that the games played back then were not as big as we like to think.

The Bison/Sioux games in the 80's, 90's, and up until 2003 were huge but arguably they were not much bigger than games played now. It's fair to point out UND now has the 3rd best selling game of all time (behind UCD and SDSU) and you could almost always buy a ticket the day of the game. It's fair to point out we sell out the dome without any of the opponents fans.

I respect history but I have no interest in old school small town rivalries. Especially something that happened 100 years ago.

56BISON73
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM

WHO said it was silly????? Not me. Dont have a clue where this comes from.
I see that you have catagorized all of the teams we played as rivals. In fact they were in our conference. But within that group there is ALWAY """"The GAME"""".

But I do see you do agree wityh me when you say---"""We had USD, SDSU, UND, Mankato, St Cloud, Augustana.(dont forget mourningside) Now it's down to SDSU and that's it.
So yes in the absence of our true rival they come up with SDSU. Hey this isnt rocket science. :D PL

56BISON73
01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
A rivalry becomes a rivalry because it has fans of both teams at games. Back in 1890, not many people had cars so UND was the obvious choice. I'm sure they cold hop on the horse and take a road trip to Grand FOrks. :) Back in 1890, the biggest game, which probably had less than a thousand fans and the TV hadn't been invented yet! I'm sure the games all the way into the the 1950's didn't draw that well either.

Now a game vs a winless Southern Utah draws 15K. So it's probably fair to say that the games played back then were not as big as we like to think.

The Bison/Sioux games in the 80's, 90's, and up until 2003 were huge but arguably they were not much bigger than games played now. It's fair to point out UND now has the 3rd best selling game of all time (behind UCD and SDSU) and you could almost always buy a ticket the day of the game. It's fair to point out we sell out the dome without any of the opponents fans.

I respect history but I have no interest in old school small town rivalries. Especially something that happened 100 years ago.

You had better go back and check your attendance records. Back in the "old" days we used to draw 10-15 thousand a game.(outdoor stadium)
Now with the local area holding 150,000 people AND its 35 years later with a move to D1 weve only gained 3-4 thousand in attendance???????? So what does that tell you??? It tells me that the games back then were actually bigger than YOU think.
Dont get hung up on the D1 label. Its nothing more than renaming smoke and mirrors by the NCAA. PL

Bisonguy
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
You had better go back and check your attendance records. Back in the "old" days we used to draw 10-15 thousand a game.(outdoor stadium)
Now with the local area holding 150,000 people AND its 35 years later with a move to D1 weve only gained 3-4 thousand in attendance???????? So what does that tell you??? It tells me that the games back then were actually bigger than YOU think.
Dont get hung up on the D1 label. Its nothing more than renaming smoke and mirrors by the NCAA. PL

Attendance numbers were a bit, let's say, "optimistic" back at Dacotah Field.

Hammersmith
01-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to say that we first played SDSU in 1903, and started playing them regularly in 1908.

Carry on.

56BISON73
01-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Just wanted to say that we first played SDSU in 1903, and started playing them regularly in 1908.

Carry on.

Well its about time we finally started to take that game seriously.:D :D PL

HerdBot
01-14-2008, 04:12 AM

10,000 - 15,000 included about 35% UND fans. Now we sell the dome out without the help of the visiting teams. Your pointing out the attendance in the mid 70's and beyond. When you go back further the attendance was way smaller. I bet you the games in the 40's, 50's, and 60's drew less than a few thousand.

Either way, the point I'm trying to make is this.... the games were very big and meaningful but sometimes it's not as good as we like to remember.

Here's another point I wanted to touch on. A rivalry game has to be a conference game. Since UND is in a different conference, it's not nearly as important as it used to be. Back in the old days, the winner of that game usually won the conference and made the playoffs.

fargocyclone
01-14-2008, 04:20 AM
10,000 - 15,000 included about 35% UND fans. Now we sell the dome out without the help of the visiting teams. Your pointing out the attendance in the mid 70's and beyond. When you go back further the attendance was way smaller. I bet you the games in the 40's, 50's, and 60's drew less than a few thousand.

Either way, the point I'm trying to make is this.... the games were very big and meaningful but sometimes it's not as good as we like to remember.

Here's another point I wanted to touch on. A rivalry game has to be a conference game. Since UND is in a different conference, it's not nearly as important as it used to be. Back in the old days, the winner of that game usually won the conference and made the playoffs.

Here will be PL's response:

Iowa - Big Ten
Iowa State - Big XII

Doesn't stop them...

56BISON73
01-14-2008, 04:22 AM

How do you know that 35% was from UND????? You dont.
You better watch about the attebdance in the 60s as you dont know about that either.
Do you just make this stuff up as you go along??? LOL Obviously

Who says a rivalry game HAS to be in conference???? Just as I said """EVERY contrived excuse known to man. But thats a new one. Cant wait to see what you come up with next. :D PL

ps
You will have to tell Florida (SEC) and Floida State(ACC) that there game isnt a rivalry. That just might come as a surprise to them.:nod:

56BISON73
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Here will be PL's response:

Iowa - Big Ten
Iowa State - Big XII

Doesn't stop them...

Hey thanks for that one but I had already used that comparison previous so I used another out of conference rivalry. PL

PS OH just thought of USC Notre Dame:D Im sure there are more. LOL

HerdBot
01-14-2008, 05:00 AM
How do you know that 35% was from UND????? You dont.
You better watch about the attebdance in the 60s as you dont know about that either.
Do you just make this stuff up as you go along??? LOL Obviously

Who says a rivalry game HAS to be in conference???? Just as I said """EVERY contrived excuse known to man. But thats a new one. Cant wait to see what you come up with next. :D PL

ps
You will have to tell Florida (SEC) and Floida State(ACC) that there game isnt a rivalry. That just might come as a surprise to them.:nod:

Well, I know 35% were Sioux fans because during the 90's it sounded like the Metrodome when the Bison played the Gophers. If the games were as big as you tell me they were in the 70's, I would imagine the Sioux fans traveled well as well as they did in the 90's. If they didn't travel to the game than it wasn't a a rivalry to begin with.

Your trying to tell me that a non conference game isn't as big as a confernce game? You don't value a game that means something? I'd rather watch us play SDSU for the conference championship and playoffs than watch us play UND in non confernce play for nothing. I can still be big but never as big as the confernce games. Your just set in your old ways and refuse to move forward. That's ok. We all have our opinions.

56BISON73
01-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Well, I know 35% were Sioux fans because during the 90's it sounded like the Metrodome when the Bison played the Gophers. If the games were as big as you tell me they were in the 70's, I would imagine the Sioux fans traveled well as well as they did in the 90's. If they didn't travel to the game than it wasn't a a rivalry to begin with.

Your trying to tell me that a non conference game isn't as big as a confernce game? You don't value a game that means something? I'd rather watch us play SDSU for the conference championship and playoffs than watch us play UND in non confernce play for nothing. I can still be big but never as big as the confernce games. Your just set in your old ways and refuse to move forward. That's ok. We all have our opinions.

There you go with the YOU dont this and that. Facts are facts. Ive already showed you that a rivalry DOESNT have to be a conference affiliation. LOL

And quit adding fluff to your reasoning to get the conclusion you want. EX
""""I'd rather watch us play SDSU for the conference championship and playoffs than watch us play UND in non confernce play for nothing. """ No kidding??? So would I.
Take out the conference championship and the payoffs and I will take the UND game over SDSU in a straight up game. But I do have to give you credit for being creative.

"""I can still be big but never as big as the confernce games.""" ???????
Again tell that to FL and FSU. :D You dont think FL vs FSU is bigger than say FL vs Vanderbilt????

I can give you the facts of attendace. You cant. Nore can you give facts on the percentage of UND fans. You are just pulling stuff out of your hat.

It has nothing to do with moving forward. And thats becoming another beaten to death response when all reason is lost. And it has nothing to do with old ways. Gee ya goota do better than that:D But I have already shown you that we REALLY havent moved forward. All we have done is get back to where we were before they cut the schollies.

BUT------ Iam am not so much championing to have the game played as much as I am championing against the nonsensical reasons not to.
If you want to say that you dont want to play them because they pissed in our cheerios then fine. But all these so called excuses is nothing more than rationalization for justification. But it is amusing seeing what people come up with.
If we dont play UND fine . But it would be a damn shame for that to happen. I might add I really dont think I have to worry about that though. PL

HerdBot
01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
There you go with the YOU dont this and that. Facts are facts. Ive already showed you that a rivalry DOESNT have to be a conference affiliation. LOL

And quit adding fluff to your reasoning to get the conclusion you want. EX
""""I'd rather watch us play SDSU for the conference championship and playoffs than watch us play UND in non confernce play for nothing. """ No kidding??? So would I.
Take out the conference championship and the payoffs and I will take the UND game over SDSU in a straight up game. But I do have to give you credit for being creative.

"""I can still be big but never as big as the confernce games.""" ???????
Again tell that to FL and FSU. :D You dont think FL vs FSU is bigger than say FL vs Vanderbilt????

I can give you the facts of attendace. You cant. Nore can you give facts on the percentage of UND fans. You are just pulling stuff out of your hat.

It has nothing to do with moving forward. And thats becoming another beaten to death response when all reason is lost. And it has nothing to do with old ways. Gee ya goota do better than that:D But I have already shown you that we REALLY havent moved forward. All we have done is get back to where we were before they cut the schollies.

BUT------ Iam am not so much championing to have the game played as much as I am championing against the nonsensical reasons not to.
If you want to say that you dont want to play them because they pissed in our cheerios then fine. But all these so called excuses is nothing more than rationalization for justification. But it is amusing seeing what people come up with.
If we dont play UND fine . But it would be a damn shame for that to happen. I might add I really dont think I have to worry about that though. PL

You haven't given me any facts at all. You're throwing out numbers with no proof whatsover. Got any links? (10-15,000 in the 70's with a big portion of them Sioux Fans is hardly proof that the game is bigger than any game we play now. Especially since they inflated the numbers back then and that is a fact) I do have proof that UND is the 3rd best selling game of all time, behind SDSU and UCD. I expect it to fall further down the list this year. You yourself admitted you'd rather play SDSU for the confernce championsip than UND in a non conference game. We even pointed out that we have been playing SDSU since 1907 and they are the only D1 school we compete with. I'm not here to say that it's not a big game. It is. But you can't discredit SDSU and call them fake rivalry when we've been playing them for 100 years and they are making the move to D1 with us. They will look back at SDSU 100 years from now just like we're looking back at the UND games 100 years ago. You think you can't kill a rivalry. I think you can. It's just a different way of thinking. Let's just agree to disagree. And yes it can be a rivalry if it's a non conference game. Now if UND ever moved to the gateway it would be the biggest rivarly game probably ever. But it's a fact that it won't be as important at the end of the year except for pride. I'd rather win the divisoin and lose to UND than beat UND and lose the division. THe game will probably happen someday and it will be huge. But I don't expect to see it for another 5-10 years. If NDSU wants to kill it they can. Every year I care less and less. We've moved on. And yes I don't want to help UND in their transition. It's a fre ride if they beat us. I want them to earn the respect the same was we did by going out and beating quality opponents. THey didn't help us and wanted to see us fail and we have been pretty good.

56BISON73
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
""""You haven't given me any facts at all. You're throwing out numbers with no proof whatsover. Got any links? (10-15,000 in the 70's with a big portion of them Sioux Fans is hardly proof that the game is bigger than any game we play now.""""

Those figures are from the Bison Record Book 18??? to 1984 I beleive. B1SON (Joe) is now in possesion of that book.

""Especially since they inflated the numbers back then and that is a fact)"""

Well there have been a few supposed sellouts this last season that were ""optomistic" as well. LOL All I had to do was look behind me a see rows of empty seats to make that assumption.

""" You yourself admitted you'd rather play SDSU for the confernce championsip than UND in a non conference game."""

Since it would be for the conference championship who wouldnt??? But it would have to fit that scienario.
But I would take a UND game over a regular SDSU game any day.

"""Now if UND ever moved to the gateway it would be the biggest rivarly game probably ever. But it's a fact that it won't be as important at the end of the year except for pride. I'd rather win the divisoin and lose to UND than beat UND and lose the division. THe game will probably happen someday and it will be huge. But I don't expect to see it for another 5-10 years.""""

To this I couldnt agree with you more. (you see we do have common ground):D
Great discussion!!!!:nod: PL

56BISON73
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Looks like the mood is changing:D

""""We had to go on the road and play a lot of different opponents,” said NDSU’s Taylor. “That’s what they are facing right now. Does that mean we get into a home-and-home with them right away? Things have changed and maybe some feelings have changed.”
But there are still some hard feelings. That’s why the decision to renew the rivalries isn’t up to the coaches or even the athletic directors. They are waiting for approval from the university presidents. """""

PL

HerdBot
01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Looks like the mood is changing:D

""""We had to go on the road and play a lot of different opponents,” said NDSU’s Taylor. “That’s what they are facing right now. Does that mean we get into a home-and-home with them right away? Things have changed and maybe some feelings have changed.”
But there are still some hard feelings. That’s why the decision to renew the rivalries isn’t up to the coaches or even the athletic directors. They are waiting for approval from the university presidents. """""

PL

I don't expect us to do anything to help UND in the transition. We went through the crap times so I hope they do too. Giving them a Bison game would be he Super Bowl for them and it would put them on the map. Have you seen their home schedule? It's so bad they are talking about plaing a 2nd game vs South Dakota at the metrodome! :LOL

Bad D2 Texas AM Kingsville
Winless Southern Utah
St Cloud State (D2, 1-7 in the NCC last year)
South Dakota (the only legit game)

Crookston has an open date

90BISON
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I don't expect us to do anything to help UND in the transition. We went through the crap times so I hope they do too. Giving them a Bison game would be he Super Bowl for them and it would put them on the map. Have you seen their home schedule? It's so bad they are talking about plaing a 2nd game vs South Dakota at the metrodome! :LOL

Winless Southern Utah

Are you serious about the Metrodump location? Would they like curtain off one whole end so the stray crickets wouldn't drown out the crowd noise? Maybe "pipe-in" some extra crowd noise? Some canned applause perhaps?:D

56BISON73
01-29-2008, 01:28 AM

Winless Southern Utah

And what does any of this have to do with what I posted???? Nothing. Geeez. PL

BlueBisonRock
01-29-2008, 03:25 AM
And what does any of this have to do with what I posted???? Nothing. Geeez. PL

Kevin Schnepf: 'Dakotas’ in-state rivalries on hold' (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=190014&section=Columnists&columnist=Kevin%20Schnepf)

Perhaps the comments from Gene Taylor earlier in this article will better position the key theme of this on going argument. The context of the article is basketball and the xDSU xND rivalry with focus on ND.

“At some point in time, scheduling them will make some sense,” said NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor. “When does it make sense for us to play them? Right now, we don’t know.”

The entire debate on reengaging the NDSU UND rivalry centers on Never or Someday. Gene did answer this larger question per his quotes in the article. We can now recognize that those cold days in hell do periodically occur. This is PL's point.

The article goes on to point out: 'But there are still some hard feelings. That’s why the decision to renew the rivalries isn’t up to the coaches or even the athletic directors. They are waiting for approval from the university presidents.'

Saul, Scott Nagy, Brian Jones, and Tom Douple are also quoted.

Nice catch PL!

HerdBot
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Are you serious about the Metrodump location? Would they like curtain off one whole end so the stray crickets wouldn't drown out the crowd noise? Maybe "pipe-in" some extra crowd noise? Some canned applause perhaps?:D

Yep. Go check out Siouxsports.com it's pretty funny.