PDA

View Full Version : FBS game 2008 Poll

fargocyclone
01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Since everyone didn't like the poll by Lakes, here's a different one.

Will there be an FBS game next year?

roadwarrior
01-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm going to wait until Gene casts his vote! :D

Jdubs21
01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
lol yea, u never know what he has up his sleeve

4mcruenomore
01-10-2008, 02:52 AM
All I care about is a championship, or getting as far in the playoffs as possible at this point.

devin45k
01-10-2008, 03:32 AM
All I care about is a championship, or getting as far in the playoffs as possible at this point.

X2 Im more worried about doing good in our conference and getting to the playoffs than playing an FBS team.

UTH
01-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Since everyone didn't like the poll by Lakes, here's a different one.

Will there be an FBS game next year?

Oh, for cripe's sake! It was supposed to ask, "Should there be an FBS game next year?"* :banghead: :D :D :D

I think there won't be and there shouldn't be. It's time to focus on the top priorities - and that is to a) win the conference and b) to make a good playoff run.

I'd like to believe that Gene agrees and will fill out a good quality FCS schedule.

*ain't nobody gonna win with these FBS polls...

56BISON73
01-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Oh, for cripe's sake! It was supposed to ask, "Should there be an FBS game next year?"* :banghead: :D :D :D

I think there won't be and there shouldn't be. It's time to focus on the top priorities - and that is to a) win the conference and b) to make a good playoff run.

I'd like to believe that Gene agrees and will fill out a good quality FCS schedule.

Well then there should be 2 polls----will there be and should there be. That Should cover it.:D PL

fargocyclone
01-10-2008, 04:23 AM

I was going to have four options:

a) There will be one and there should be one
b) There will be one but there shouldn't be one
c) There won't be one and there shoudn't be one
d) There won't be one but there should be one

But I figured people would complain about it. :blush:

SDbison
01-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Again, several on this board team up to make their common redundant point (no FBS game since NDSU needs to worry about the playoffs). There should be an FBS game but there likely won't be. I don't agree with Gene if he choses to not schedule one. One good FBS game is more exciting and provides more exposure than the FCS championship. I think the majority of Bison fans want an FBS game. As for shying away from an FBS game......I guess Appy State should have played NDSU in Fargo last year rather than taking on Michigan. Might have cost them a playoff spot.......but then............ As for injuries what did NDSU suffer for playing Minnesota????? I think Cal Poly did much more damage! NDSU needs to schedule good FBS teams to keep letting recruits and the media know NDSU is a great team. SDSU has done much more to secure their future than NDSU by getting several big time games in the next few years. If any regional team is to eventually go FBS it should be NDSU. Cupcakes and no name FCS teams will not secure sellouts at the Fargodome. It is sad that so many of you want to only achieve DII like success. Fact is FCS doesn't get any more attention or respect than DII. Unike many of you my dream is that NDSU moves to FBS as soon as possible. Flame away!

UTH
01-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Again, several on this board team up to make their common redundant point (no FBS game since NDSU needs to worry about the playoffs). There should be an FBS game but there likely won't be. I don't agree with Gene if he choses to not schedule one. One good FBS game is more exciting and provides more exposure than the FCS championship. I think the majority of Bison fans want an FBS game. As for shying away from an FBS game......I guess Appy State should have played NDSU in Fargo last year rather than taking on Michigan. Might have cost them a playoff spot.......but then............ As for injuries what did NDSU suffer for playing Minnesota????? I think Cal Poly did much more damage! NDSU needs to schedule good FBS teams to keep letting recruits and the media know NDSU is a great team. SDSU has done much more to secure their future than NDSU by getting several big time games in the next few years. If any regional team is to eventually go FBS it should be NDSU. Cupcakes and no name FCS teams will not secure sellouts at the Fargodome. It is sad that so many of you want to only achieve DII like success. Fact is FCS doesn't get any more attention or respect than DII. Unike many of you my dream is that NDSU moves to FBS as soon as possible. Flame away!

No flaming here. You make good points in this post. I still disagree, though - the pinnacle this upcoming season will be the last game of it, not an early FBS game.

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
As for injuries what did NDSU suffer for playing Minnesota????? Flame away!

Mays hip pointer. I was on the fifty 7 rows up behind our bench and watched it happen. He came off to the side and could barely walk. He played the rest of the game but was not as fast and was limping.

Roehl. Hightower popped him good. He came off and was sitting on the bench shaking his head and blinking his eyes. He got rocked. I do believe he was then held out of the next game.

We need the team at 100% for a playoff run.

56BISON73
01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Mays hip pointer. I was on the fifty 7 rows up behind our bench and watched it happen. He came off to the side and could barely walk. He played the rest of the game but was not as fast and was limping.

Roehl. Hightower popped him good. He came off and was sitting on the bench shaking his head and blinking his eyes. He got rocked. I do believe he was then held out of the next game.

But those injuries could have happened at anytime during the season. PL

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Could have, but didn't.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM

This is true...It could happen in practice, because its just part of the game.

SDbison
01-10-2008, 06:41 PM

After a 263 yard rushing performance Roehl was rested for the next game where he was not needed. Show me the injury report where he was held out due to a specific injury (oh that is right, he wasn't injured). I think Foster was held out for one game after Central Michigan due to an ankle injury (that is the only FBS attributable injury in two games....wow, those FBS games are killers).
Really, were the injuries during the Minnesota and Central Michigan games any greater than the other games? Answer is no. I believe
NDSU lost Bowman for the rest of the season during the SHSU game. Then Paschall for the rest of the season during the Illinois State game. Also, lost Dallas for the rest of the season during the Cal Poly game. None of those were FBS games. Your argument is not valid.
Great FCS programs like NDSU should always be competitive against all but the top 40 programs of FBS football. As Appy State showed, even top 40 FBS teams are capable of being upset now and then.
Another point.....there is no such thing as a team being 100% going into the playoffs. All teams have major and minor injuries during the season. Its just a matter of healing and having depth in the right places.
Oh, another comment.......someone said that NDSU does not have any cupcake s on the schedule now. Look again.....Central Connecticut, Indiana State and Missouri State.....and there are still 2 or 3 slots to fill for 2008. If none are FBS, what do you think the chances are this late in the process that these teams will be more than lower stature FCS, or worse yet DII or NAIA teams? Playing patsies does not help a team get strong for the playoffs. Just look at Montana, poster child for the 7 plus home game season along with several patsies. Appy State is what I want NDSU to emulate, not Montana. Oh, and playing an FBS team each year will prepare NDSU for its eventual move to FBS. Also prevents teams like SDSU from stealing our thunder (and recruits). Finally, all the FBS bowl games (even the no name bowls) get more publicity, interest, viewership, revenue, etc. than the FCS playoff game. I am not saying NDSU should't stay in FCS for at least another four years, but that the planning and preparation should start now. Many issues like budget and conference to be considered.

aces1180
01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
After a 263 yard rushing performance Roehl was rested for the next game where he was not needed. Show me the injury report where he was held out due to a specific injury (oh that is right, he wasn't injured). I think Foster was held out for one game after Central Michigan due to an ankle injury (that is the only FBS attributable injury in two games....wow, those FBS games are killers).
Really, were the injuries during the Minnesota and Central Michigan games any greater than the other games? Answer is no. I believe
NDSU lost Bowman for the rest of the season during the SHSU game. Then Paschall for the rest of the season during the Illinois State game. Also, lost Dallas for the rest of the season during the Cal Poly game. None of those were FBS games. Your argument is not valid.
Great FCS programs like NDSU should always be competitive against all but the top 40 programs of FBS football. As Appy State showed, even top 40 FBS teams are capable of being upset now and then.
Another point.....there is no such thing as a team being 100% going into the playoffs. All teams have major and minor injuries during the season. Its just a matter of healing and having depth in the right places.
Oh, another comment.......someone said that NDSU does not have any cupcake s on the schedule now. Look again.....Central Connecticut, Indiana State and Missouri State.....and there are still 2 or 3 slots to fill for 2008. If none are FBS, what do you think the chances are this late in the process that these teams will be more than lower stature FCS, or worse yet DII or NAIA teams? Playing patsies does not help a team get strong for the playoffs. Just look at Montana, poster child for the 7 plus home game season along with several patsies. Appy State is what I want NDSU to emulate, not Montana. Oh, and playing an FBS team each year will prepare NDSU for its eventual move to FBS. Also prevents teams like SDSU from stealing our thunder (and recruits). Finally, all the FBS bowl games (even the no name bowls) get more publicity, interest, viewership, revenue, etc. than the FCS playoff game. I am not saying NDSU should't stay in FCS for at least another four years, but that the planning and preparation should start now. Many issues like budget and conference to be considered.

Roehl was injured for the Southern Utah game, unless you don't believe Scott Miller, because he reported it on his broadcast...Because of HEPA, there are no injury reports in college football.

In addition, you forgot to mention Majeski getting hurt.

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
You make decent points, even if I disagree with some. But, saying Roehl was held out of the game to "rest" him is laughable. Just plain silly. He was injured and would only play if needed. Same with Mays.

SDbison
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
You make decent points, even if I disagree with some. But, saying Roehl was held out of the game to "rest" him is laughable. Just plain silly. He was injured and would only play if needed. Same with Mays.
Both were minor injuries and those types of issues happen throughout the year in spots and bunches regardless of who a team plays. Usually well conditioned teams like the Bison have fewer injury issues than less prepared teams. NONE of the season ending injuries (I believe there were 3 or 4) occurred during the FBS games. And yes, I am saying Roehl was held out to rest him after the Minnesota game. All sorts of media stated he did not play for that reason. Maybe some soreness, but nothing that prevented Roehl from playing or put him at risk to play in the next game........good try guys but you lose this argument.

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Roehl was injured for the Southern Utah game, unless you don't believe Scott Miller, because he reported it on his broadcast...Because of HEPA, there are no injury reports in college football.

In addition, you forgot to mention Majeski getting hurt.

HIPPA;) :)

aces1180
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
HIPPA;) :)

Haha...Oops!...HEPA is a filter for a vacuum!

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Both were minor injuries and those types of issues happen throughout the year in spots and bunches regardless of who a team plays. Usually well conditioned teams like the Bison have fewer injury issues than less prepared teams. NONE of the season ending injuries (I believe there were 3 or 4) occurred during the FBS games. And yes, I am saying Roehl was held out to rest him after the Minnesota game. All sorts of media stated he did not play for that reason. Maybe some soreness, but nothing that prevented Roehl from playing or put him at risk to play in the next game........good try guys but you lose this argument.
:rofl: You crack me up! Thanks for being the judge on who "wins" the argument! On a side note I also think it is funny that you say Roehl wasn't injured, but maybe had some soreness. That's a good one!

Bisonguy
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Haha...Oops!...HEPA is a filter for a vacuum!

That sucks. :hide:

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
You asked SD who got hurt in the Minnesota game. I gave you examples. It was you that asked I just answered. Sorry you didn't like the answer.

Then you basically go on to say that injuries don't really matter because they are going to happen anyway.

I guess it is no big deal when you get your mike linebacker and #1 RB get dinged up.

SDbison
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
:rofl: You crack me up! Thanks for being the judge on who "wins" the argument! On a side note I also think it is funny that you say Roehl wasn't injured, but maybe had some soreness. That's a good one!
Just thought I would let you know since you picked a losing side of the argument. Being a little sore and being injured are two different things. Playing with a badly sprained ankle is near impossible, while playing with some bumps and bruises is very possible. You crack me up. This whole idea that NDSU shouldn't play an FBS team is BS. There is more of a down side than an upside to not playing an FBS game. But maybe NDSU knows that without Walker things may be really difficult next year. Now that I could believe.

SDbison
01-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Actually just having a difference of opinion on this message board is starting to suck. There are 10 or 15 top posters here that seem to have the same opinions on most everything so what they say is gospel. I make some valid points and the "know it alls" ignore them and state their same old crap everytime. Go screw yourselves........I can now see why people stop posting here and move to other message boards. GOOD Bye!

TransAmBison
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Actually just having a difference of opinion on this message board is starting to suck. There are 10 or 15 top posters here that seem to have the same opinions on most everything so what they say is gospel. I make some valid points and the "know it alls" ignore them and state their same old crap everytime. Go screw yourselves........I can now see why people stop posting here and move to other message boards. GOOD Bye!
I just got to love you man! You are definitely on of the Superfans! Don't get too cranky on me, though! So we disagree, big deal. Yes you make some points, but others do to. Now pardon me while I go screw myself. :)

UTH
01-11-2008, 04:34 AM
I just got to love you man! You are definitely on of the Superfans! Don't get too cranky on me, though! So we disagree, big deal. Yes you make some points, but others do to. Now pardon me while I go screw myself. :)

Meh - it's just a bison brat that got lodged in his heart. He'll pound it out and be back to his good old self in no time flat.

Methinks that SD is right about opinions being ignored. In this debate, everyone's points seem to be getting mighty repetitive - on both sides. Every time this topic comes up, people want to weigh in... Quick - push button 2!!! Fess up, everybody is doing it (on both sides). I freely admit, that pretty much sums up my approach to it. Who cares to read the same post over and over? The problem here is that this debate won't go away until everybody can get excited about the full season schedule (once it's announced) and there's something new to talk about 'schedule-wise'. Until then,

THERE WILL BE NO BCS GAME NEXT SEASON BECAUSE WE HAVE TO GO FAR IN THE PLAYOFFS.*

*sorry, had to stay on topic.:D

Bison"FANatic"
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree this horse has been beaten everyone has their own opinion and they are not going to change. The joys of the offseason, new items to discuss come up at a slower pace.

BisonCountry
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Reading this made me think of the movie "The Program"

Coach Winters: "Are you hurt or injured?"
Darnell Jefferson: "What?"
Coach Winters: "Well if you're injured, you can't play. If you're hurt, you can play."

I remember listening to the broadcast as well and Bohl said both Mays and Roehl could have played, but he held them out as a precaution. Obviously against SUU, we didn't need them.

bisonhusker
01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I agree with most of what SDBison is saying. I am torn on adding a 1A game. I pisses me off when SDSU signed Nebraska...bigtime pissed off. I wanted that game. I just want something to look forward to in football. It is a guaranted road trip. A trip that wives can't say no to....it is the dream situation. Anyway, I digress. This board is full of ROSE COLORED GLASSES, that is for sure. It would pretty much agree that other opinions should be allowed. Ex: If Lakes posts something, he will be torn up by 53Bison91. We know that.

SDBison, you are too good of a poster to leave. We need your energy to keep the homers alive. I would love a mid level 1A game. Another Central Michigan type game. That is fun. If it is that or a D2 game or something...yuck. Easy decision.

Is this the year we recruit a quarterback? Or are we going for a record number of years without recruiting one? Just curious.