PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota gopher football

Pages : [1] 2

WildBill
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Edit by Bisonguy: A large number of posts from the Bison Recruiting threads were dumped into this thread. Sorry for the confusion if you're reading these posts for the first time, as they are sorted in chronological order but originated from multiple threads.

Yep, but the Gophers missed out on the one WR that would have made a HUGE difference in the program. Michael Floyd. Two TD's in the ARMY game yesterday. Very impressive.

We all know that Nobohl is a Gopher rube, but he is correct. McFarlane isn't a burner, but he was a HUGE recruit for us. We aren't Big Ten...we don't need a world class sprinter to be a total stud at our level.

Floyd has wanted to go to ND since he was 14. Not much you can do about a kid like that.

d3boys
01-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Floyd has wanted to go to ND since he was 14. Not much you can do about a kid like that.

keep telling yourself that, but in reality the gophers need to get to the point where most if not all minnesota kids want to go to the u of m and some cant because they are not good enough for the gophs and have to go to notre dame

ndsubison1
01-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Maybe if the Gophers could win 2 games he would have gone there

WildBill
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
keep telling yourself that, but in reality the gophers need to get to the point where most if not all minnesota kids want to go to the u of m and some cant because they are not good enough for the gophs and have to go to notre dame

Thank you Captain Obvious. Floyd has said since early in his junior year that ND was the team to beat. I cannot fault a kid for wanting to go there,especially a catholic kid. Now if it was Iowa or Wisconsin,i'd feel differently. Notre dame will always land big recruits, regardless of their record.

WildBill
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe if the Gophers could win 2 games he would have gone there

And what has the Bison's 1 loss season done? 9 commitments feeding off the scraps of the larger programs.

Gully
01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
And what has the Bison's 1 loss season done? 9 commitments feeding off the scraps of the larger programs.

A Gopher fan talking smack? Wow. You have a shitty coach, shitty players, a shitty stadium, you won one game last year, and lastly you have shitty fans. Pretty shitty situation if you ask me.

My suggestion..........try some humble pie.

SirHinn
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Too much hate on the Bison and to much love for the Gophers. The Bison are getting another great recruiting class like they typically do. Those same scraps you talked about just whooped the Gophers arses. One man's garbage is another man's gold.

Mr. Burgundy
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I wonder if Ohio State fans go on the Youngstown State message board and rip on their recruiting class...etc. Nobohl....you are in the Big Ten. You are supposed to be better than us....and it shouldn't be close. For two consecutive years, we DOMINATED you. The score was close, the games were not. You know it. Congrats on your recruiting class, as soon as you realize that we are a very small part of your problem (and Gully pretty clearly stated your problem), then you will be better off.

You hired a great recruiter....not a great coach.
Stay classy Minneapolis.

WildBill
01-06-2008, 09:20 PM
A Gopher fan talking smack? Wow. You have a shitty coach, shitty players, a shitty stadium, you won one game last year, and lastly you have shitty fans. Pretty shitty situation if you ask me.

Yep,shitty players thanks to Glen mason. We will see what happens in the future

fargocyclone
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Does this stuff work?

http://www.wortfilter.de/kurios/0701/troll-ex/index-Dateien/troll_spray.jpg

BlueBisonRock
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Gully, this is one shitty post. I will be directing reps your way!! :biggrin:

UTH
01-06-2008, 09:46 PM

My suggestion..........try some humble shitty-pie.

Fixed it for ya.:bow:

Bison Dan
01-06-2008, 11:38 PM

Seems the Bison have done very well with their scraps - 3-1 record against FBS teams and dominating the gophers the last 2 years. If we have scrapes what are the gopher players called?

silkamilkamonico
01-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Brewster has done a great job of recruiting so far for UofM.

There's little question that the guy can recruit as he's showing it.

Now, can he recruit enough talent to mask the fact that he doesn't know how to actually coach?

56BISON73
01-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Brewster has done a great job of recruiting so far for UofM.

There's little question that the guy can recruit as he's showing it.

Now, can he recruit enough talent to mask the fact that he doesn't know how to actually coach?

His coaching ability is not in question. Its his ability to be a head coach is the question mark.
I think I will hold judgemnet on that point for a couple of years. PL

silkamilkamonico
01-07-2008, 03:28 AM
His coaching ability is not in question. Its his ability to be a head coach is the question mark.

His coaching ability as a head coach is a question mark. There's a big difference in running an entire program, or working with a particular unit.

Someone needs to inform Brewster that there is indeed a defensive side to a team that can be equally as important.

HerdBot
01-07-2008, 05:50 AM

Mason was the guy who got players that were good enough to go to 4 straight Bowl games. We forget about the bad years.

56BISON73
01-07-2008, 07:11 AM
His coaching ability as a head coach is a question mark. There's a big difference in running an entire program, or working with a particular unit.

Someone needs to inform Brewster that there is indeed a defensive side to a team that can be equally as important.

Has he even been there a whole year yet???? Geeez. PL

Bison"FANatic"
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Yep you have to give him a few years to get the players into the system that he wants to run and then see how he does. He seems to be doing a great job recruiting didn't they just get a 4 star QB or something. Time will tell.

Now since this is our recruiting thread, the more top level players he gets from around the US the more next level down players that are available locally. This should be good for us.

Gully
01-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Yep you have to give him a few years to get the players into the system that he wants to run and then see how he does. He seems to be doing a great job recruiting didn't they just get a 4 star QB or something. Time will tell.

Now since this is our recruiting thread, the more top level players he gets from around the US the more next level down players that are available locally. This should be good for us.

Or he could have adjusted his "system" to work with the players he had...that is what good coaches do.

56BISON73
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Or he could have adjusted his "system" to work with the players he had...that is what good coaches do.

May be he did adjust his system for the current players he had. So if he did that that would make him a good coach????:D

The guy hasnt been there one year yet or had the opportunity to coach ONE player that he has recruited and people are saying that he cant coach. Even though they dont have a clue what hes tried to do with the talent he was given. Too freaking funny.:D

There were two series of Offensive plays where MN drove the ball and scored without any great opposition. Did those drives result form bad coaching or superior talent that didnt know what they were doing and just got lucky????
I also saw a QB that missed a bunch of easy passes that could have made a big difference in how the game turned out. Which of course would have changed the course of this thread. LOL PL

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Has he even been there a whole year yet???? Geeez. PL

Funny. Dennis Erickson didn't need a whole year to do a great job at ASU this year.

But then again, Erickson is actually a proven good coach. SOmething that's in serious question with Brewster, who coached the most confused defense in all of college football.

56BISON73
01-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Funny. Dennis Erickson didn't need a whole year to do a great job at ASU this year.

But then again, Erickson is actually a proven good coach. SOmething that's in serious question with Brewster, who coached the most confused defense in all of college football.

Erickson also didnt coach MN did he. You are talking apples and oranges.
You obviously have a hard on for the guy. WHY??? PL

Bison"FANatic"
01-08-2008, 01:59 PM

In four years all of the players will have a large amount of experience in his system. It is tough to take a non spread recruited team and run a spread offense and this is what happened this year. We will see in a few years when all the players will know the system like the back of their hands and will not have been in 3 different systems in four years. Consistency will win out in the end. Short term loss, long term gain.

Mandan_Herd_Fan
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Auburn switched to the spread 12 days before their bowl game with Clemson, and won.

Jdubs21
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
this is the recruiting thread....make a new thread to talk about shitty coaching!

Bison Dan
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
+++++++++++++

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
look at MN they have like 3-4 kicker on schollies.

Maybe they should use their scholarships more wisely and they might win more than 1 game a year.

SirHinn
01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
look at MN they have like 3-4 kicker on schollies.

They did under the era of Da Mase.

TransAmBison
01-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe they should use their scholarships more wisely and they might win more than 1 game a year.
You beat me to it!!!!!!!

silkamilkamonico
01-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Erickson also didnt coach MN did he. You are talking apples and oranges.
You obviously have a hard on for the guy. WHY??? PL

Erickson was in his first year at ASU.

Brewster was in his first year at UofM.

More like green apples and red apples.....

Brewster could turn it around. But only a fool is looking at how he did last year and saying, "hey, this guy's pretty good". If not, then you're questioning.......

Like what was said though, we should get off the subject and quit detouring the thread. I'll stop here.../

Jdubs21
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
How many 4 and 5 star recruits does MN have?

Bison"FANatic"
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
We have had a bunch of talk on our recruiting thread about the gophers so I started one here so it can continue without being added into the NDSU thread.

Here is the link for recruits jdub21 looks like 6 4 star.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?SID=880&Year=2008&School=46

Bison"FANatic"
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I started a thread for all of this MN Gopher discussion under "news for other schools"

lakesbison
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
NDSU should be in ALL of their recruits homes in the cities showing them the tapes from last year over and over and over again!!

dam!! get them to NDSU!!

SirHinn
01-09-2008, 07:27 PM
NDSU should be in ALL of their recruits homes in the cities showing them the tapes from last year over and over and over again!!

dam!! get them to NDSU!!

Keep dreaming, something your atleast good at. App State should do the same thing then, maybe they could steal 1/2 a recruit from Michigan too.

lakesbison
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
well, they should too! ha ha.

Bisonguy
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I started a thread for all of this MN Gopher discussion under "news for other schools"

Thank you.

ndsubison1
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Is Michael Floyd a 5 star recruit?

lakesbison
01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
yes.. 5 + he is amazing!!

Broderick Binns was down at iowa this year and minnesota lost him last year. HE IS A COMPLETE STUD AS WELL!

Tatanka
01-10-2008, 01:38 AM
:smh: http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/suesponte/thread_direction.gif

Jdubs21
01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
HAHAHA i've been trying to have people talk about this stuff on another thread too....but it isnt workin?

SirHinn
01-10-2008, 05:51 AM
yes.. 5 + he is amazing!!

Broderick Binns was down at iowa this year and minnesota lost him last year. HE IS A COMPLETE STUD AS WELL!

If you want to actually get technical, Floyd is a 4 star recruit. He should be a stud at the next level but he is going to have to compete against a couple of stud sophmore Wideouts on the roster already as well as 2 other 4 stars coming in coming in. So it'll be interesting to see if he actually makes an impact at all his freshman year.

Herd
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's Timmy in the locker room, right before he got his ass kicked. What a great locker room mind.:hide:

"We have had a great week of practice, haven't we . . . We have tremendous confidence. You know exactly what you've got to do . . . am I right. You know exactly what we've got to do, we go out there and hit anything that moves. We make sure that they understand that we are, what . . . We are the University of Minneosta Golden Gophers. And you let it ride men, you let it ride, let it all hang out. And you know what we will do men? . . . We will choke their asses out, we'll get our victory, and we'll sing the Rouser."

--- 1-11 Timmy Oct 20,2007

SirHinn
01-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Here's Timmy in the locker room, right before he got his ass kicked. What a great locker room mind.:hide:

"We have had a great week of practice, haven't we . . . We have tremendous confidence. You know exactly what you've got to do . . . am I right. You know exactly what we've got to do, we go out there and hit anything that moves. We make sure that they understand that we are, what . . . We are the University of Minneosta Golden Gophers. And you let it ride men, you let it ride, let it all hang out. And you know what we will do men? . . . We will choke their asses out, we'll get our victory, and we'll sing the Rouser."

--- 1-11 Timmy Oct 20,2007

If you do indeed want to talk smack about Brewster, your more then welcome to start a new thread in the smack section. I don't really know what that has to do with the Gopher football outside of talking smack.

Bison Dan
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
If you do indeed want to talk smack about Brewster, your more then welcome to start a new thread in the smack section. I don't really know what that has to do with the Gopher football outside of talking smack.

What the hell are you talking about - that is gopher fb! Great pre game speech. Can fact be smack?

SirHinn
01-12-2008, 04:05 AM
What the hell are you talking about - that is gopher fb! Great pre game speech. Can fact be smack?

So what did Craig Bohl say before the SDSU game? What did Michigan's coach say before App State's game? What did Tressel say before the LSU game? We're gonna get our butt kicked but let's make sure we play hard even though we probably won't win this game! That would sure get the troops fired up for a game. I want to see the Bison play the Gophers after Craig Bohl leaves and let's see how they do!

TransAmBison
01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
So what did Craig Bohl say before the SDSU game? What did Michigan's coach say before App State's game? What did Tressel say before the LSU game? We're gonna get our butt kicked but let's make sure we play hard even though we probably won't win this game! That would sure get the troops fired up for a game. I want to see the Bison play the Gophers after Craig Bohl leaves and let's see how they do!
Hmmmmmm????? I've sat quietly so far on this, but SirHinn seems to be sticking up for the Gophers/Brewster quite heavily. The last statement has me questioning his loyalties? We all know who would win. Da Bison. Sorry, just had to do it. SirHinn as a sidenote, I'm not totally against Brewster. I think he deserves a few years to make or break his coaching career. But, this last year, he didn't do himself any favors.

SirHinn
01-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Hmmmmmm????? I've sat quietly so far on this, but SirHinn seems to be sticking up for the Gophers/Brewster quite heavily. The last statement has me questioning his loyalties? We all know who would win. Da Bison. Sorry, just had to do it. SirHinn as a sidenote, I'm not totally against Brewster. I think he deserves a few years to make or break his coaching career. But, this last year, he didn't do himself any favors.

He certainly didn't do any favors for the fans or alumni. If your going to talk the talk, atleast be able to give some spice to the walk aspect. So far, Brewster has been far from being able to do that. So far with Bohl, he's done exactly what he's known for. They play hard and they excel on defense. The bigger question though is can the Bison do the same thing in 4 years? That's certainly up for debate.

PS: I'm always a sucker for a coach who can recruit absolute talent regardless of anything else, I absolutely love the Urban Meyer types such as the Zooker, Carrol and Brewster types. Once they have had the talent, there was never any question on how well they could coach that talent. Did you not question the Bison at all in Bobby's last year coaching? Or did you still think they were a top 5 calber team?

heckler
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
He certainly didn't do any favors for the fans or alumni. If your going to talk the talk, atleast be able to give some spice to the walk aspect. So far, Brewster has been far from being able to do that. So far with Bohl, he's done exactly what he's known for. They play hard and they excel on defense. The bigger question though is can the Bison do the same thing in 4 years? That's certainly up for debate.

PS: I'm always a sucker for a coach who can recruit absolute talent regardless of anything else, I absolutely love the Urban Meyer types such as the Zooker, Carrol and Brewster types. Once they have had the talent, there was never any question on how well they could coach that talent. Did you not question the Bison at all in Bobby's last year coaching? Or did you still think they were a top 5 calber team?

As stated before...over...and...over...and...over...brewster is going to have a hard time recruiting coaching...unless one of your star recruits can do that for him too. I guess Mason should have been up for coach of the year for how he did with his recruits since they were so bad. Hey, at least you guys didn't play in a meaningless bowl game this year.

SirHinn
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
As stated before...over...and...over...and...over...brewster is going to have a hard time recruiting coaching...unless one of your star recruits can do that for him too. I guess Mason should have been up for coach of the year for how he did with his recruits since they were so bad. Hey, at least you guys didn't play in a meaningless bowl game this year.

Tell that to Ron Zook as well then. You can't recruit coaching bla bla bla, he heard it at Florida and at Illinois his first couple of years. Guess if you actually some patience with someone, it can pay off. Man, Illinois definately should have fired him after his first 2 years. For a guy like that who is known as a recruiter and not a good coach, he sure isn't doing too bad.

heckler
01-14-2008, 03:28 AM
Tell that to Ron Zook as well then. You can't recruit coaching bla bla bla, he heard it at Florida and at Illinois his first couple of years. Guess if you actually some patience with someone, it can pay off. Man, Illinois definately should have fired him after his first 2 years. For a guy like that who is known as a recruiter and not a good coach, he sure isn't doing too bad.

Brewster isn't Zook. He at least did go to the Rose Bowl though...

SirHinn
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Brewster isn't Zook. He at least did go to the Rose Bowl though...

Yeah your right, it only took him 2 absolute horrible seasons to see any type of improvement within the program. I feel sorry for whoever replaces Bohl because if he doesn't win 8 or 9 games the first year, you'll call for his head.

heckler
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah your right, it only took him 2 absolute horrible seasons to see any type of improvement within the program. I feel sorry for whoever replaces Bohl because if he doesn't win 8 or 9 games the first year, you'll call for his head.

We are used to excellence here at NDSU.

bisonhusker
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Did anyone hear Babich on the Hammer show this week? It was pretty good. He was talking about coaching and how he needs to improve and how his team needs to get healthy....anyway, he started to talk about how hard Marion Barber runs for the Cowboys and that he did a home visit to recruit Barber when he was coaching for the Bison.....now that would have been sweet!!!!

SirHinn
01-19-2008, 05:47 AM
We are used to excellence here at NDSU.

Eh, have a couple of horrible seasons and evantually make it to the rose bowl or win some d 2 ships way back in the day. Somehow I think the Rose Bowl would mean just a tad more. Then again, tell that to Coach Bob who went from loser Bison coach to D coordinator in the Big Show!

02Bison
01-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Eh, have a couple of horrible seasons and evantually make it to the rose bowl or win some d 2 ships way back in the day. Somehow I think the Rose Bowl would mean just a tad more. Then again, tell that to Coach Bob who went from loser Bison coach to D coordinator in the Big Show!

1 losing season in which the many of the stars were injured on a roster with only 36 scholarships does not make Babich a loser coach. Calling him a losing Bison coach because of this one season is ignorant and a myopic way of viewing things.

TransAmBison
01-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Whoa there young Buck. We'll see if that Rose bowl dream ever happens. So far, we've got those DII championships, all Brewster has of yet is hot air.

SlickVic
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Whoa there young Buck. We'll see if that Rose bowl dream ever happens. So far, we've got those DII championships, all Brewster has of yet is hot air.

whoa there young buck brewster is not just full of hot air...he does have 1 win AND a few blades of grass from the rose bowl field ;) i did hear brewsters real close to signing the #1 running back in the state of texas...brewster baffles me w what hes doing on the recruiting trails i mean my oh my what parent in there right mind would let that guy in their living room? let alone trust him to make a man of their son?? meanwhile you got craig bohl aka pure professional slickness...i think bohls a top 25 coach in all of college football no doubt about it...moral of the story is craig bohls a grown man brewsters just a boy ;)

WildBill
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM

So thats why Rodriquez is switching to the spread at Michigan despite the talent? No, coaches run what they are familar with

Bison Dan
01-30-2008, 03:46 PM
So thats why Rodriquez is switching to the spread at Michigan despite the talent? No, coaches run what they are familar with

That's true for the most part but great coaches will adapt to the talent around them.

SirHinn
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
So would you expect Craig Bohl to run a shotgun system with 75% passing if that's the talent that was best suited for that team that he took over? Would you expect Urban Meyer to run I Form option if that's what was most effective at the time? Would you expect Paul Johnson not to run the option at Georgia Tech?
How about we discuss the Gophers still landing more solid recruits. The latest were a 3 star wideout as well as a 4 star defensive end. Only time will tell, but so far Brewster is doing exactly what he said he would with recruiting.

Bison Dan
01-30-2008, 05:19 PM
So would you expect Craig Bohl to run a shotgun system with 75% passing if that's the talent that was best suited for that team that he took over? Would you expect Urban Meyer to run I Form option if that's what was most effective at the time? Would you expect Paul Johnson not to run the option at Georgia Tech?
How about we discuss the Gophers still landing more solid recruits. The latest were a 3 star wideout as well as a 4 star defensive end. Only time will tell, but so far Brewster is doing exactly what he said he would with recruiting.

No I'd expect Bohl to run the option! I'd explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand anyway.

TransAmBison
01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
No I'd expect Bohl to run the option! I'd explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand anyway.
Yes, let's see some option!!!! :D Couldn't you just see Roehl and McNorton in the veer!

aces1180
01-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, let's see some option!!!! :D Couldn't you just see Roehl and McNorton in the veer!

Would that also mean we go for two every time instead of kicking extra points...Bring back the 80s! ;)

SirHinn
01-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Clearly, your not a great football mind. The only mistake Brewster made is by going to a debacle situation like Minnesota. They had the pieces in place to be a 500 team every year. They ran the same thing year after year, never adapting to the change in college football. In order to change that, Brew actually had to make some drastic changes in order to change that. Whether that means getting beat down for a couple years or not, it was a risk. Then again though, I don't think you'd understand that anyways.

Bison Dan
01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Clearly, your not a great football mind. The only mistake Brewster made is by going to a debacle situation like Minnesota. They had the pieces in place to be a 500 team every year. They ran the same thing year after year, never adapting to the change in college football. In order to change that, Brew actually had to make some drastic changes in order to change that. Whether that means getting beat down for a couple years or not, it was a risk. Then again though, I don't think you'd understand that anyways.

Actually if he would have gradually moved his offensive over to the spread until he got his kids in there he would have been .500 last year. Remember GS had a coach get fired or quit in 1 or 2 years when he did the same thing. 2nd year he was GONE. GS isn't use to losing, MN is so the grace period for Brewster is longer.

SirHinn
01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Actually if he would have gradually moved his offensive over to the spread until he got his kids in there he would have been .500 last year. Remember GS had a coach get fired or quit in 1 or 2 years when he did the same thing. 2nd year he was GONE. GS isn't use to losing, MN is so the grace period for Brewster is longer.

So the Gophs POTENTIALLY could have gone 500 had Brew gradually moved over to the spread, where does that really get them outside of where they are at right now? Either way, they were going to struggle and the transition wasn't going to be as smooth as people would like. The Gophs are still landing a very good recruiting class, so clearly that didn't change what recruits think of Brew or the program.

WildBill
01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
So the Gophs POTENTIALLY could have gone 500 had Brew gradually moved over to the spread, where does that really get them outside of where they are at right now? Either way, they were going to struggle and the transition wasn't going to be as smooth as people would like. The Gophs are still landing a very good recruiting class, so clearly that didn't change what recruits think of Brew or the program.

but it would've dampered recruiting. Imagine telling kids that eventually you'll run that offense.

Bison Dan
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
but it would've dampered recruiting. Imagine telling kids that eventually you'll run that offense.

Bull!!!!!!!

WildBill
02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Bull!!!!!!!

Kids aren't stupid. Are they gonna go to a school that is committed to running an offense ,or would they commit to a school that says it will change to a certain offense in a couple of years?

SirHinn
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Kids aren't stupid. Are they gonna go to a school that is committed to running an offense ,or would they commit to a school that says it will change to a certain offense in a couple of years?

He also can't comprehend that Minnesota hired an O Coordinator who had lots of success running the SPREAD OFFENSE. Brewster hired a coaching staff to run THE SPREAD OFFENSE. If he wanted to slowly make the transition, he could have kept the joke of an O Coordinator that was under Glen Mason. He also seems to think that the POTENTIAL to being able to be 500 is more important instead of setting up your team identity for the next 5 years. Then again though, I wouldn't expect Bison Dan being able to undertand that. How about those Gophs by the way, they just landed another 4 star halfback who is perfectly suited for the SPREAD.

56BISON73
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM

I agree
Hence----Mallett leaving Michigan because the new coach from UWV offense wouldnt fit his style and he knew the coach wasnt going to change his offense to fit HIM.
Look at the talent that kid had. geeez but according to Bison Dan the Michigan coach should have changed his oddense to fit Mallett. Seens as though that wasnt going to be the case at Michigan Either.:D PL

Bison Dan
02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree
Hence----Mallett leaving Michigan because the new coach from UWV offense wouldnt fit his style and he knew the coach wasnt going to change his offense to fit HIM.
Look at the talent that kid had. geeez but according to Bison Dan the Michigan coach should have changed his oddense to fit Mallett. Seens as though that wasnt going to be the case at Michigan Either.:D PL

Yea things turned out so well for MN last year what were they 1-11. Besides it really wasn't the offense for MN that sucked it was the defense. When a new coach comes in to a school and installs a new system he knows he doesn't have the talent for and knows that his kids won't be sucessful at - what's that called?

Bison Dan
02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
He also can't comprehend that Minnesota hired an O Coordinator who had lots of success running the SPREAD OFFENSE. Brewster hired a coaching staff to run THE SPREAD OFFENSE. If he wanted to slowly make the transition, he could have kept the joke of an O Coordinator that was under Glen Mason. He also seems to think that the POTENTIAL to being able to be 500 is more important instead of setting up your team identity for the next 5 years. Then again though, I wouldn't expect Bison Dan being able to undertand that. How about those Gophs by the way, they just landed another 4 star halfback who is perfectly suited for the SPREAD.

How many offenses couldn't a 4 star hb be suited for? It's a little sicking that you think Brewster walks on water but the pressure is on with all these so called 10 star jocks he's getting. I can see a 12-0 season this year. I'm sure all the other Big 10 teams will be worst this year too because MN got all the studs.

Bison bison
02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
whatever to both you guys.

brewster is taking the gophers to the rose bowl next year.

:p

TransAmBison
02-01-2008, 09:16 PM
whatever to both you guys.

brewster is taking the gophers to the rose bowl next year.

:p
Tell me something a little less obvious! :D

WildBill
02-01-2008, 09:54 PM
How many offenses couldn't a 4 star hb be suited for? It's a little sicking that you think Brewster walks on water but the pressure is on with all these so called 10 star jocks he's getting. I can see a 12-0 season this year. I'm sure all the other Big 10 teams will be worst this year too because MN got all the studs.

lol,no one is saying the Gophers will make a dramatic turnaround. But for him to have a Top 25 recruiting class despite going 1-11 speaks volumes on how good of a recruiter he really is. There is no pressure on Brewster,only for him to improve. Look at Zook the 1st 2 years at Illinois.

WildBill
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Yea things turned out so well for MN last year what were they 1-11. Besides it really wasn't the offense for MN that sucked it was the defense. When a new coach comes in to a school and installs a new system he knows he doesn't have the talent for and knows that his kids won't be sucessful at - what's that called?

Minnesota's D would've been bad regardless of scheme. It simply didn't have ant playmakers or speed.

Mr. Burgundy
02-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Do you know how many times I yelled...."We're going to Pasedena" last year during the Bison/Gopher game? It was priceless.

My buddy..."Hey, where we going this year?"

Me...."Pasedena....Brewster told me....he even brought home some of the grass from their field."

Nobohl.....you are on a 1AA school's message board bragging about how good a Big Ten teams recruiting class is. Congrats!!!! I am sure Ohio State is all over the Youngstowns boards too!!!!

When you realize that your competition is in the Big Ten and not the Gateway, you may have a shot. Until then, go find 30,000 fans from a road team to fill the metrodome next year.

SirHinn
02-02-2008, 01:04 AM

Not many if he's a 5ft 7 170 pound scat back who is suited for the spread. I also think they'll potentially be perhaps above 500.

SirHinn
02-02-2008, 01:19 AM

You've made the same boring argument over and over. First it was the offense, now it's the defense, make up your mind. Great football minds have known all along it was the Gopher defense that was the problem. We've already talked about how many close games the Gophs had and they very well could have been over 500. Yes, the Gophs were horrible at defense and they have been for years. They had absolutely zero speed on defense. So you tell us Coach Dan, what kind of scheme do you try and come up with when your fastest players are getting burned by fullbacks? Honestly, what kind of scheme do you come up with when your players are that bad? Teams like the Bison had drastically more speed and talent then the Gophs, that shows absolutely horrible recruiting on the Mason's part. The Gophers also lost their 2 best problems before the season started.
The Gophers offense wasn't the problem, once they got comfertable with the spread the results showed. It's called having PATIENCE.
By the way Burgandy, did you ever think you would see Illinois in the Rose Bowl 5 years ago?

Mr. Burgundy
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Trust me, I am a gopher fan (especially that we won't be playing them for a while), but I think Brewer should have been a bit smoother in the PR department. Great recruiter. His class is simply amazing. I didn't think Illinois would get to the Rose Bowl so quickly, but I also don't think Zook was saying nutty things all the time to the media/public. Guy just needs to relax at times. Too many "Little Green Guys, Gopher Nation, Pasadena, Sing the Rouser" type comments for me to like the guy. But, with the playing time he has been able to offer, he is getting a sick class.

56BISON73
02-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Its called installing his system for the future. His record last year means nothing. Why do you keep bringing that up as it isnt a valid point.
So tell us why the new Michigan coach isnt taking your lead with the--- use a system that you have the talent for?? If he was going to do that he wouldnt have let Mallett leave. But hey Michigan is pay him millions to be a moron right. LOL PL

SirHinn
02-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Trust me, I am a gopher fan (especially that we won't be playing them for a while), but I think Brewer should have been a bit smoother in the PR department. Great recruiter. His class is simply amazing. I didn't think Illinois would get to the Rose Bowl so quickly, but I also don't think Zook was saying nutty things all the time to the media/public. Guy just needs to relax at times. Too many "Little Green Guys, Gopher Nation, Pasadena, Sing the Rouser" type comments for me to like the guy. But, with the playing time he has been able to offer, he is getting a sick class.

Great post, I agree 110%! Brewster should be taking notes from his pal Tubby; just shut up, play the damn game, and let your play speak for itself. He'll learn that with experience though.

WildBill
02-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Do you know how many times I yelled...."We're going to Pasedena" last year during the Bison/Gopher game? It was priceless.

My buddy..."Hey, where we going this year?"

Me...."Pasedena....Brewster told me....he even brought home some of the grass from their field."

Nobohl.....you are on a 1AA school's message board bragging about how good a Big Ten teams recruiting class is. Congrats!!!! I am sure Ohio State is all over the Youngstowns boards too!!!!

When you realize that your competition is in the Big Ten and not the Gateway, you may have a shot. Until then, go find 30,000 fans from a road team to fill the metrodome next year.

Correction,i am on a section entitled news about other schools.

kurosawa
02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
No. 19 will be a stud.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=1014

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
No. 19 will be a stud.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=1014

Well, at least Brewster can do something right as a head coach.

Bisonguy
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
The two previous posts were moved from the NDSU recruiting thread.

KC Bison
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Great post, I agree 110%! Brewster should be taking notes from his pal Tubby; just shut up, play the damn game, and let your play speak for itself. He'll learn that with experience though.

Tubby started the year with much less talented team than the Brew did. He re-made the team in his mold and despite switching the team to a new style of play, they are playing much better ball than last year. This is totally opposite of what Brewster did for the Gophers this year. He has a really long way to go before him and Zook are mentioned in the same breath.

Civil06
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
You've made the same boring argument over and over. First it was the offense, now it's the defense, make up your mind. Great football minds have known all along it was the Gopher defense that was the problem. We've already talked about how many close games the Gophs had and they very well could have been over 500. Yes, the Gophs were horrible at defense and they have been for years. They had absolutely zero speed on defense. So you tell us Coach Dan, what kind of scheme do you try and come up with when your fastest players are getting burned by fullbacks? Honestly, what kind of scheme do you come up with when your players are that bad? Teams like the Bison had drastically more speed and talent then the Gophs, that shows absolutely horrible recruiting on the Mason's part. The Gophers also lost their 2 best problems before the season started.
The Gophers offense wasn't the problem, once they got comfertable with the spread the results showed. It's called having PATIENCE.
By the way Burgandy, did you ever think you would see Illinois in the Rose Bowl 5 years ago?

Illinois looked really good in the Rose Bowl.

SirHinn
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Illinois looked really good in the Rose Bowl.

They looked pretty good whooping Ohio State's arse. Didn't help them that they were playing the best team in the country though.

Civil06
02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
They looked pretty good whooping Ohio State's arse. Didn't help them that they were playing the best team in the country though.

I agree. After watching the Ohio State game, I had them ranked very high. They just didn't show up in Pasadena - I wish they would have. I would like to see the Big 10 dominate.

56BISON73
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM

They looked good against Iowa too.:D PL

WildBill
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
For those who are keeping track,Minnesota's recruiting class is now ranked 16th in the nation with the addition of 4* S, Keanon Cooper.

SirHinn
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
For those who are keeping track,Minnesota's recruiting class is now ranked 16th in the nation with the addition of 4* S, Keanon Cooper.

How the heck did they steal him away from Tech? I heard 2 days ago, he was a very solid verbal. Dang, another nice pickup.

Mr. Burgundy
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I am sure all of the Gopher diehards check into Bisonville....then to "News about other schools" to check on their Big 10 Team!!!! Thanks for keeping them posted. I am sure it is the best site to track Gopher recruiting.

If you want to check on Michigan's recruiting, go to Central Michigan's fan board...then to "News about other schools." All the Michigan diehards hang out in there.

I actually really like the Gophers, but this stuff makes me almost quit caring about Brewster.

If you buy the NDSU vs Gopher DVD, you will see what type of class act Brewster is in his pre game speech to his team. I thought it was a joke, but I guess he really did say that.

SirHinn
02-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I am sure all of the Gopher diehards check into Bisonville....then to "News about other schools" to check on their Big 10 Team!!!! Thanks for keeping them posted. I am sure it is the best site to track Gopher recruiting.

If you want to check on Michigan's recruiting, go to Central Michigan's fan board...then to "News about other schools." All the Michigan diehards hang out in there.

I actually really like the Gophers, but this stuff makes me almost quit caring about Brewster.

If you buy the NDSU vs Gopher DVD, you will see what type of class act Brewster is in his pre game speech to his team. I thought it was a joke, but I guess he really did say that.

Why do you care? If you don't care to read about it, don't come and read about it then. I don't really care about NDSU track and field or women's soccer, so I simply don't go to the forum to read about it. It is quite simple.

WildBill
02-06-2008, 01:24 AM

There are a lot of fans that root for both teams. If you indeed did like the Gophers,it wouldn't be such a big deal.

sambini
02-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Congrats to Minnesota on a great class. Now you have to coach them Tim Brewster. In two to three years the answers will be told. Can Brewster coach?

lakesbison
02-06-2008, 05:27 AM
3 Freaking Minnesota Recruits? What A Joke . . ! Here.s What Tim Did, He Sat On Rivals, Targeted Every 4 Star Kid (5 Star Kids Goto OSU, LSU. FLA,ETC) . . basically tim targeted 10 to 12 lower 4 star kids, 4 teammates from a dallas hs & 3 FREAKIN MINN KIDS . . . . overhyped, just like PUNKY BREWSTER HIMSELF!

Mr. Burgundy
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
More poor research by Lakes....stop talking about stuff you have no idea about.

This class at Minnesota could be very special, and a class people talk about for years as the class that turned around a program. This class is ranked in the top 25 and ranked 3rd in the Big Ten. MINOR MIRACLE anyone? They had one win last year and we spanked them at their place. Nobody could expect such a turnaround. Congrats to Brew and his staff for bringing some pride back to U of M. Hey Bison fans....before we started playing against the U....we all liked them. I don't really like their coach, but at least talent will be filling the baggy this year. If he keeps recruiting out of state kids, we will continue taking the "Kare 11" kids....it is a win/win situation.

lakesbison
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
burgandy.. WE"LL FIND OUT.. huh

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/15338601.html

4 freakin Minnesota kids, thats a shame, in my opinion.

if they only have 4, why doesnt NDSU have more "cities" kids?

Bison Dan
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
News Flash! Brewster just lost his SON to U of Texas!!! Nolan Brewster. Signed with Texas this morning. Oh Well! He must be a smart kid and understands his dad is mostly blow.

Da Bison
02-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey Bison fans....before we started playing against the U....we all liked them. I don't really like their coach, but at least talent will be filling the baggy this year. If he keeps recruiting out of state kids, we will continue taking the "Kare 11" kids....it is a win/win situation.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bisonhusker
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Someone tell me how "Lakes" can question either the Gopher or Bison class at this point? Bison are having an UNREAL year, and the Gophers are having their best year in the history of the school, and you can't argue that. It is FACT. GO BISON.

SlickVic
02-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Someone tell me how "Lakes" can question either the Gopher or Bison class at this point? Bison are having an UNREAL year, and the Gophers are having their best year in the history of the school, and you can't argue that. It is FACT. GO BISON.

like my man mitt romneys says--- facts are stubburn things facts are stubburn things ;)

SirHinn
02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
News Flash! Brewster just lost his SON to U of Texas!!! Nolan Brewster. Signed with Texas this morning. Oh Well! He must be a smart kid and understands his dad is mostly blow.

Your definately not a great college football mind. You can't lose something if you never had it!! His son committed to Texas ages ago. Good ole Dad was happy his son was going to Texas considering Mack is one of his good friends. If you can't look at something objectively, don't waste anyone's time talking about it. We're talking recruiting here and you've shown you know absolutely nothing when it comes down to it.
As far as Lakes goes, he also claimed that Mertens should have started over Walker after he committed to NDSU.
Great class for the Gophers, perhaps the greatest class they have ever had. That's not really saying much though considering the Gophers have never really had a great class before.

bisonhusker
02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with Sirhinn, but I think BisonDan's point was that there was alot of hope that Brewster's son was going to change his verbal to Minnesota. As recent as Sunday Brewster was on the radio talking about him hoping he would get his son to change his mind. Telling Sid Hartman to "Call him up, I need some help convincing him." Long story short, he would have reallly been nice to be in Minnesota. Hard to break the bond he had with Mack down in Texas.

lakesbison
02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I said.. "itd be NICE to get MERTENS PLAYING TIME the last 2 years.. never said he was BETTER than Walker.. or should be starting OVER him... I am still in shock that MERTENS wasn't allowed to play more last year, would've helped his confidence,etc!!"

UTH
02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I said.. "itd be NICE to get MERTENS PLAYING TIME the last 2 years.. never said he was BETTER than Walker.. or should be starting OVER him... I am still in shock that MERTENS wasn't allowed to play more last year, would've helped his confidence,etc!!"

I would agree that he didn't get as much experience as he should have, but it is now history. However, I don't see how he'll be lacking confidence, etc. It'll be OK.

TransAmBison
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
You said more than once that Mertens should start ahead of Walker. You said to the effect that Walker couldn't help in the playoffs that we should let Mertens start and get a year of experience before we were eligible for the playoffs. Dare me to find the posts?

SirHinn
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree with Sirhinn, but I think BisonDan's point was that there was alot of hope that Brewster's son was going to change his verbal to Minnesota. As recent as Sunday Brewster was on the radio talking about him hoping he would get his son to change his mind. Telling Sid Hartman to "Call him up, I need some help convincing him." Long story short, he would have reallly been nice to be in Minnesota. Hard to break the bond he had with Mack down in Texas.

Of course Brewster's staff is going to recruit Nolan. He was never committed to Minny though and had been a solid verbal ever since the Spring. Brewster was doing the same thing with Floyd and Mobley but people make a bigger deal out of it because it's his son. The Gophers recruiting class is extremely talented and it is potentially the most talented class they have ever had, argue that one objectively Bison Dan.

SirHinn
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
You said more than once that Mertens should start ahead of Walker. You said to the effect that Walker couldn't help in the playoffs that we should let Mertens start and get a year of experience before we were eligible for the playoffs. Dare me to find the posts?

Yes you should, I tried to find the posts where Lake said just that but couldn't find them.

TransAmBison
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by lakesbison http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3167#post3167)
Merten's was the MINNESOTA AP player of the year in 04.... won the state title singlehandely...

and was MVP in the ALL STATE Football game vs MANY MANY division 1 recruits to Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Minnesota etc..

I would personally like to see Mertens start from the get go in 06... since Walker can't play in a playoff eligible year....

Walker will probably start. but I hope we get Merten's in alot... to help him in 07 at Minnesota..

He definitely has the talent and the smarts... very shifty-fast player/scrambler at QB..

TransAmBison
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I believe there were more, but this should be enough proof.

WildBill
02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
3 Freaking Minnesota Recruits? What A Joke . . ! Here.s What Tim Did, He Sat On Rivals, Targeted Every 4 Star Kid (5 Star Kids Goto OSU, LSU. FLA,ETC) . . basically tim targeted 10 to 12 lower 4 star kids, 4 teammates from a dallas hs & 3 FREAKIN MINN KIDS . . . . overhyped, just like PUNKY BREWSTER HIMSELF!

Overhyped? Funny,Tom Lemming doesn't feel that way. Nor does Allen Wallace or any other recruiting expert.

lakesbison
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
OVER-HYPED.. just watch the GOOF's Record the next 2-3 years. we'll find out.

YES.. I said PERSONALLY based on the fact that THE PRIZE IS 2008 playoffs... thats what I was basing it on.

obviously Walker was better, TOO LATE NOW!

TransAmBison
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM

YES.. I said PERSONALLY based on the fact that THE PRIZE IS 2008 playoffs... thats what I was basing it on.

But the point is you did say Mertens should start over Walker, and you just said today you never said it. Open mouth, insert...

lakesbison
02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Open mouth, insert... A MORGAN COKE!!

SirHinn
02-07-2008, 03:53 AM

Will you put your foot in your mouth if your wrong about that too then?

Herd
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Now that the Gopher have a good recruiter, they should hire a good coach.

WildBill
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Now that the Gopher have a good recruiter, they should hire a good coach.

If you've read through this entire thread and still spout lame crap like that,then you have no business near a computer. Talent,not schemes were the problem with the Gophers. And before you spout off of the past minnesota success,keep in mind that MN RB's were injury prone in 2007.

Herd
02-08-2008, 05:11 AM
If you've read through this entire thread and still spout lame crap like that,then you have no business near a computer. Talent,not schemes were the problem with the Gophers. And before you spout off of the past minnesota success,keep in mind that MN RB's were injury prone in 2007.

Get over yourself, I watched every minute of every gopher game last year, a couple in person. The guy had a team last year that anyone (Glen Mason, Craig Bohl, etc) could have won 5-7 games with. Instead your man basically threw the team under the bus and totally demotivated them. He has shown zero as an on the field coach, 2nd half adjuster, and locker room motivator. Until he does, he is a recruiter, period. It almost seemed like he wanted the season to be a disaster to be able to tell recruits they could step right in, as strange as that sounds. It truly felt that way at the end of the year.

The sum of his team parts last year were far less than the individuals, the sign of a coach who had absolutely lost his team. He and his staff tell every Freshman that they can come in and start right away . . . so how will that translate to his motivate his upper classmen . . Not worth a darn in my opinion. Until he shows something, anything as an on the field coach who is able to adjust and motivate in a positive way, I am a skeptic. You don't win in February. I'd take Craig Bohl as an on the field coach any day and twice on Saturday vs. your man. Players will give their hearts and souls for Craig Bohl in Fargo, do the players trust their coach in MN, it sure didn't look like it.

Would I hire your man to recruit? Absolutely. Another year of recruiting like 2008 will really help, but another year like last year on the field and he will be lucky to see TCF. Will 2008 be significantly better? Can Freshman win in the BT? We'll see.

Your man has the gophers in the top 25 in February (rivals, cstv, etc), i'm guessing they won't be there in December. I didn't hear anyone bemoaning talent before Oct 20, 2007 . . . but afterward and at the end of the season, your cupboard is suddenly bare? That's garbage. Hell you have 2 or 3 guys that will get drafted this year . . . (Barber, Wheels, Brink) You can spout that garbage about talent on your board, but I will keep it real here. A good coach would have shut his mouth last year and gone to work to make a real "team" and win some games. That did not happen.

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Get over yourself, I watched every minute of every gopher game last year, a couple in person. The guy had a team last year that anyone (Glen Mason, Craig Bohl, etc) could have won 5-7 games with. Instead your man basically threw the team under the bus and totally demotivated them. He has shown zero as an on the field coach, 2nd half adjuster, and locker room motivator. Until he does, he is a recruiter, period. It almost seemed like he wanted the season to be a disaster to be able to tell recruits they could step right in, as strange as that sounds. It truly felt that way at the end of the year.

The sum of his team parts last year were far less than the individuals, the sign of a coach who had absolutely lost his team. He and his staff tell every Freshman that they can come in and start right away . . . so how will that translate to his motivate his upper classmen . . Not worth a darn in my opinion. Until he shows something, anything as an on the field coach who is able to adjust and motivate in a positive way, I am a skeptic. You don't win in February. I'd take Craig Bohl as an on the field coach any day and twice on Saturday vs. your man. Players will give their hearts and souls for Craig Bohl in Fargo, do the players trust their coach in MN, it sure didn't look like it.

Would I hire your man to recruit? Absolutely. Another year of recruiting like 2008 will really help, but another year like last year on the field and he will be lucky to see TCF. Will 2008 be significantly better? Can Freshman win in the BT? We'll see.

Your man has the gophers in the top 25 in February (rivals, cstv, etc), i'm guessing they won't be there in December. I didn't hear anyone bemoaning talent before Oct 20, 2007 . . . but afterward and at the end of the season, your cupboard is suddenly bare? That's garbage. Hell you have 2 or 3 guys that will get drafted this year . . . (Barber, Wheels, Brink) You can spout that garbage about talent on your board, but I will keep it real here. A good coach would have shut his mouth last year and gone to work to make a real "team" and win some games. That did not happen.

How do you know what Brewster and his staff tells his recruits they'll start as freshmen? Have you actually talked to him so you can actually verify this? Or are you simply trying to speculate like you actually know how the world of college recruiting actually works? Would a great coach like Rich Rodriguez who runs the spread been able to actually lead the Gopher team to 7 wins? Most would be skeptical considering the talent the Gophers had. Is Brewster supposed to play guys who don't fit the system? Wouldn't you rather play a freshman or a sophmore who actually fits what your trying to do?

Did you actually watch the Gophers play outside of the Bison game? Or are you trying to tie in everything into that one game? Did you watch them play against Wisconsin or Ohio State? How do you know what players will do for Brewster? Do you watch them practice? I'm a skeptic when a person tries to talk like he actually knows what he's talking about when he really doesn't.

You want to keep it real, then open up your eyes and keep it real then. The Gophers talent especially on defense was horrible no matter how you look it. Brewster made a small big mistake, he talked about the Rose Bowl and the media ran with it. Get over it, he's a first time coach he's allowed to make some mistakes his first year.

WildBill
02-08-2008, 10:17 AM

You couldn't possibly watched every minute of each game. For the following reasons

1. Brewster was actually pretty good at making halftime adjustments
2. Players have gone out of the way to support Brewster as have former players
3.hasn't shown anything as a motivator? Lol,just grasping at straws now
4. MN had the worse D in the B10 in 2006. The lack of a good rushing attack certainly didn't help it any in 2007
5. Before the start of 2007,every major media outlet was picking the Gophers to finish last. Just fans making excuses,huh?
6. As far as your "Keeping it real" comment. If you mean telling half truths and out right lies,then bravo. You've done a good job
7. fans have been bemoaning the lack of talent for a few years now
8.As far as telling the recruits they will get playing time,why would a QB come when the Gophers actually have some good young kids there. And why is the Top QB of 2009 even considering MN then?

Mr. Burgundy
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
"We're going to go out there and choke their asses out, and then sing the Rouser."

If you haven't seen Brewster say that....get the Bison vs Gopher DVD, it is in his less than motivating pre game speech that the Big Ten Network was able to see. Very impressive.
Instead of "choking their asses out..." The Gophers got ran all over and allowed Tyler to set an ALL TIME record for rushing yards by a Bison. No, it wasn't against Valpo or Augie, it was against a fully funded Big Ten Team. Not only did the Bison run over them, Walker was like 20 of 25 and the Gophers scored on a trick play. The score was closer than the game, and nobody can disagree with that.

Again, I actually like Brewster and LOVE the Gophers, but until he proves he can coach, lets just pat him on the back for his recruiting class and wait until he can prove he can coach.

Carry on boys.....

lakesbison
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
and we "choked thier asses out" the year before!!

Now, wouldnt you "CHOKE A GOPHER OUTTA A GOPHER HOLE??" what would you choke a bison out of??

it was quite a bizarre analogy..

bisonmike2
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I"m not going to read throught the past 20 pages of this thread but here's my musings on MN Gopher football. Their recruiting class this year is impressive and not just by MN standards. A top 20 ranking his first year, that's pretty good. Brewster stated that all are expected to qualify academically (31?), and if that's true that's even more impressive. Getting high quality guys that you don't have tinker with to get into school is amazing. I didn't see enough of Brewster last year to know if he'll be a good coach or not. I don't really care for his rah rah attitude and he seems like a guy that would run over his grandma to get ahead but that doesn't mean he won't be a good coach. It will be interesting to see these guys do in the future but if they only live up to half of their potential MN will be a much improved team. Kinda glad we got them when we did but I would still enjoy watching a Bison/Gopher rematch in the new stadium.

bisonmike2
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
And not to be a cheerleader for U of M but did anyone see the gophers new staduim video released yesterday? Wow, that new stadium will be niiiccceee. It's a very well done video that does a 3-D fly by and thru the new stadium. Lots of space in the concourses, should be a great place to watch a game.

http://www.startribune.com/video/15375881.html

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
"We're going to go out there and choke their asses out, and then sing the Rouser."

If you haven't seen Brewster say that....get the Bison vs Gopher DVD, it is in his less than motivating pre game speech that the Big Ten Network was able to see. Very impressive.
Instead of "choking their asses out..." The Gophers got ran all over and allowed Tyler to set an ALL TIME record for rushing yards by a Bison. No, it wasn't against Valpo or Augie, it was against a fully funded Big Ten Team. Not only did the Bison run over them, Walker was like 20 of 25 and the Gophers scored on a trick play. The score was closer than the game, and nobody can disagree with that.

Again, I actually like Brewster and LOVE the Gophers, but until he proves he can coach, lets just pat him on the back for his recruiting class and wait until he can prove he can coach.

Carry on boys.....

Couple of things I find problematic with your statement about Brewster proving he can coach. You say so far he's just a recruiter and he can't coach, it's been one freakin season!! It took Mack Brown 15 winning seasons to prove his critics that he could coach and was more then just a recruiter. Sadly it took a national championship to do just that. His first 2 seasons with UNC, they finished 1-10 and were absolutely awful. It took him years to get get solid results.
I'm not saying Brewster is on Mack's level, but people expect results right away and that's just not feasible especially for a rookie coach. Like Mack, Brewster inherited a very thin recruiting base. Until Brewster gets to the Rose Bowl, people that aren't great college football minds are going to say he's just a recruiter. People have zero patience and don't understand how long it actually takes to rebuild a program that has been average at best.

TransAmBison
02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Couple of things I find problematic with your statement about Brewster proving he can coach. You say so far he's just a recruiter and he can't coach, it's been one freakin season!! It took Mack Brown 15 winning seasons to prove his critics that he could coach and was more then just a recruiter. Sadly it took a national championship to do just that. His first 2 seasons with UNC, they finished 1-10 and were absolutely awful. It took him years to get get solid results.
I'm not saying Brewster is on Mack's level, but people expect results right away and that's just not feasible especially for a rookie coach. Like Mack, Brewster inherited a very thin recruiting base. Until Brewster gets to the Rose Bowl, people that aren't great college football minds are going to say he's just a recruiter. People have zero patience and don't understand how long it actually takes to rebuild a program that has been average at best.
I really don't care one way or the other, so don't take me as being pro-Brewster or anti-Brewster. I think he has drawn fire upon himself for his lack of "humbleness". That's just humble with "ness" added to it. You could call it his Brewster"ness" if you want. We will have to wait to see his seven different kinds of smoke.

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I really don't care one way or the other, so don't take me as being pro-Brewster or anti-Brewster. I think he has drawn fire upon himself for his lack of "humbleness". That's just humble with "ness" added to it. You could call it his Brewster"ness" if you want. We will have to wait to see his seven different kinds of smoke.

I agree, he should have been more like Tubby and his business approach. We'll call it Tubbyness. Tubby came in there didn't make any bold predictions, kept his mouth shut, and went to work. That'll comes with experience though.

tcbison
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree, he should have been more like Tubby and his business approach. We'll call it Tubbyness. Tubby came in there didn't make any bold predictions, kept his mouth shut, and went to work. That'll comes with experience though.

I thought the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl. What happened?

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I thought the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl. What happened?

I thought you were actually going to add something to the discussion that was actually worth discussing. What happened?

TransAmBison
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
hehehe...tubbyness....hehehe

tcbison
02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I thought you were actually going to add something to the discussion that was actually worth discussing. What happened?

Well, the jury is still out on Brewster. 1-11 in his first year, I guess he can only get better from here. The new recruits will help but does he have the coaching ability? It didn't show last year but he will have a couple of years now to prove he can. All you can really say is stay tuned.

You have to admit SirHinn that saying you are going to the Rose Bowl when you are a rookie coach is pretty stupid, especially when you end the year with 1 win and in the bottom of the Big Ten.

WildBill
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, the jury is still out on Brewster. 1-11 in his first year, I guess he can only get better from here. The new recruits will help but does he have the coaching ability? It didn't show last year but he will have a couple of years now to prove he can. All you can really say is stay tuned.

You have to admit SirHinn that saying you are going to the Rose Bowl when you are a rookie coach is pretty stupid, especially when you end the year with 1 win and in the bottom of the Big Ten.

You do realise that most Big Ten coaches say the same thing. The late Terry Hoeppner said that when he got hired at Indiana. Difference is the TC media blew it out of proportion.

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM

Do you honestly think that he meant and believed that the Gophers were going to make the Rose Bowl in his first season let alone 2 or 3? If so, I know a couple of neurosurgeons at Meritcare.......
My momma told me Santa Clause and the Easter bunny actually existed too, broke my heart when I found out the truth.

TransAmBison
02-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Do you honestly think that he meant and believed that the Gophers were going to make the Rose Bowl in his first season let alone 2 or 3? If so, I know a couple of neurosurgeons at Meritcare.......
My momma told me Santa Clause and the Easter bunny actually existed too, broke my heart when I found out the truth.
:confused: Santa and the Easter bunny want to go to the Rose Bowl? What? :confused:*

*An example of TransAmBisonNess-a follow up from a previous post. If you haven't watched the movie I'm quoting this will make no sense. Chea!

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Oh man. Check this out.

I have never done this before, but I have been sick and tired about hearing how the Gophers are now "awesome" with the recruiting class that they brought in (and yes it was a great one), and the ignorance of following the supposed Illinois blueprint and competing for the NC in a couple of years, that I decided to go to gohperhole.com and do some trolling (which I will never do again because it is lame).

I know, I know, it's lame and I'm a bad person, but this is what happened.

I created a user account called "GopherRules", and I started a thread by him in much the same context as LakesBison did early on, using CAPS for EMPHASIS and hyping up the program to see how many people would bite, and how many people would rightfully call me an idiot.

1 post later, and I was in the Star Tribune, in an article about how the hype of a recruiting class can be blown out of proportion, which actually was my original intentions of the post.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/editorials/15378356.html

Predicting how a prep player will develop is a guessing game.

Consider this joyous message posted Wednesday by GopherRulez on gopherhole.com, one of several websites devoted to recruiting and sports at the University of Minnesota: "You heard it hear FIRST!! It's a GREAT TIME to be a GOPHER FAN!!''

GopherRulez was celebrating what the website billed as a "historic influx of talent in the Gopher program'' -- the recruiting class unveiled by Gopher football coach Tim Brewster. Recruiting analysts (yes, uninitiated, there really are people who make a living analyzing high school football players) say his recruiting class is among the best in the country -- a huge step forward for a program desperate for a trip to a major bowl game while construction crews build a campus stadium.

They even started a thread about my handle, on how it was cool how the Star Tribune did press off their message board but not cool how I got in after 1 post yet this other guy with 10000 posts didn't get in or something.

I know, I'll probably get bashed here, but I love the irony of what came about this on their message board, and the loyalty behind the person was actually a diehard Bison fan. Let me relish my 15 seconds of fame.

sambini
02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh man. Check this out.

I have never done this before, but I have been sick and tired about hearing how the Gophers are now "awesome" with the recruiting class that they brought in (and yes it was a great one), and the ignorance of following the supposed Illinois blueprint and competing for the NC in a couple of years, that I decided to go to gohperhole.com and do some trolling (which I will never do again because it is lame).

I know, I know, it's lame and I'm a bad person, but this is what happened.

I created a user account called "GopherRules", and I started a thread by him in much the same context as LakesBison did early on, using CAPS for EMPHASIS and hyping up the program to see how many people would bite, and how many people would rightfully call me an idiot.

1 post later, and I was in the Star Tribune, in an article about how the hype of a recruiting class can be blown out of proportion, which actually was my original intentions of the post.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/editorials/15378356.html

They even started a thread about my handle, on how it was cool how the Star Tribune did press off their message board but not cool how I got in after 1 post yet this other guy with 10000 posts didn't get in or something.

I know, I'll probably get bashed here, but I love the irony of what came about this on their message board, and the loyalty behind the person was actually a diehard Bison fan. Let me relish my 15 seconds of fame.
Well done Silk++++++++++

tcbison
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM

I'll see if I can find the quote but one of the Gophers players after they lost 4 or 5 games said he really believed his they were going to make it to the Rose Bowl this year. I didn't believe Brewster but it seems like he brainwashed his players into believing it.

tcbison
02-09-2008, 01:45 PM
McFeely chimes in:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191278&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

tjbison
02-09-2008, 06:05 PM
All I can say is 1 class will not take thier sorry program to the ROSE BOWL next year, or the year after, or the year after, Brewster will be gone before they get his Dream!

heckler
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
McFeely chimes in:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191278&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

"That’s why it would be wise for drooling Gopher fans to hold off on those Pasadena reservations for awhile. Brewster’s first recruits are, in many ways, just like the coach. They are loud, flashy, and talk a good game through their statistics and 40-yard dash times. But can they win football games?

That is Brewster’s challenge now. His first recruiting class is good enough on paper to quiet the jackals for awhile. Eventually, though, it’ll come back to substance. The coach can yap, yap, yap all he wants about how great these recruits are. But if they can’t play and he can’t coach, the great class of 2008 will go down as just one more empty promise on Brewster’s resume."

Favorite two paragraphs from this article. This discussion seems to be homers vs. commonsense.

WildBill
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
"That’s why it would be wise for drooling Gopher fans to hold off on those Pasadena reservations for awhile. Brewster’s first recruits are, in many ways, just like the coach. They are loud, flashy, and talk a good game through their statistics and 40-yard dash times. But can they win football games?

That is Brewster’s challenge now. His first recruiting class is good enough on paper to quiet the jackals for awhile. Eventually, though, it’ll come back to substance. The coach can yap, yap, yap all he wants about how great these recruits are. But if they can’t play and he can’t coach, the great class of 2008 will go down as just one more empty promise on Brewster’s resume."

Favorite two paragraphs from this article. This discussion seems to be homers vs. commonsense.

That has to be one of the most biased articles i've read in some time. Any recruit has to prove himself,without a doubt. Explain to me how the 2008 recruits will become another empty promise? Brewster said he would deliver a Top 20 class( I even had serious doubts) which he did. Give the guy some credit.

tjbison
02-09-2008, 11:12 PM
That has to be one of the most biased articles i've read in some time. Any recruit has to prove himself,without a doubt. Explain to me how the 2008 recruits will become another empty promise? Brewster said he would deliver a Top 20 class( I even had serious doubts) which he did. Give the guy some credit.

Why?? He has proved nothing yet, give him credit for a recruiting class that he has already set the highest standard for and in his own Brewster talk assured UM fans of the rose bowl. IF he takes them there then I will give credit, but empty promises after a 1-11 season and only 1 class??

WildBill
02-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Why?? He has proved nothing yet, give him credit for a recruiting class that he has already set the highest standard for and in his own Brewster talk assured UM fans of the rose bowl. IF he takes them there then I will give credit, but empty promises after a 1-11 season and only 1 class??

Give him credit for telling people that he would have a Top 20 class in 2008. people jump on him about the Rose Bowl,but don't want to give him credit for what he has done. I'm sure you'll respond with more rubbish,but after seeing your sig line,i feel pity for you.

tjbison
02-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Give him credit for telling people that he would have a Top 20 class in 2008. people jump on him about the Rose Bowl,but don't want to give him credit for what he has done. I'm sure you'll respond with more rubbish,but after seeing your sig line,i feel pity for you.

Until someone disproves it I'll leave it the way it is, and thanks for the pity you feel for me, it is hard to have a team to be proud of, someday you might get that chance!!

WildBill
02-10-2008, 01:06 AM
The chances of the Gophers getting better are good. The chances of the Bison staying as good as they have been isn't nearly as good. We'll leave it at that

SirHinn
02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Until someone disproves it I'll leave it the way it is, and thanks for the pity you feel for me, it is hard to have a team to be proud of, someday you might get that chance!!

So based on the statement alone, how can you disprove that UND isn't better then NDSU then? Last time I recall, UND beat NDSU last. Granted I think NDSU would throttle UND, but based on the statement.......

TransAmBison
02-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Why are you even on this board? You love the gophers...fine...no problem with that. go to www.gopherluvin'.com (http://www.gopherluvin'.com) or www.xxxgophersuncensored.com (http://www.xxxgophersuncensored.com) or maybe www.wearerosebowlboundbaby.com (http://www.wearerosebowlboundbaby.com) or such. You add nothing to the value of this board. You sometimes slightly pose as a Bison fan. The highlighted quote proves you are not.

WildBill
02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Why are you even on this board? You love the gophers...fine...no problem with that. go to www.gopherluvin'.com (http://www.gopherluvin'.com) or www.xxxgophersuncensored.com (http://www.xxxgophersuncensored.com) or maybe www.wearerosebowlboundbaby.com (http://www.wearerosebowlboundbaby.com) or such. You add nothing to the value of this board. You sometimes slightly pose as a Bison fan. The highlighted quote proves you are not.

To respond it's in reference to Mike Maxx,not the comment. Nothing Mike Maxx says should ever be taken seriously,and certainly never used as a sig line. You ask why am i here? I do like the Bison, i have family that has gone there and thats why they are my second favorite team.Besides how many members here post on Gopherhole? Quite a few. So in short, i am allowed here the same reason you are. Get used to it.

Bison Dan
02-10-2008, 02:32 AM
To respond it's in reference to Mike Maxx,not the comment. Nothing Mike Maxx says should ever be taken seriously,and certainly never used as a sig line. You ask why am i here? I do like the Bison, i have family that has gone there and thats why they are my second favorite team.Besides how many members here post on Gopherhole? Quite a few. So in short, i am allowed here the same reason you are. Get used to it.

No you get use to having a blow heart of a coach and to losing. Oh that's right you are use to it.

sambini
02-10-2008, 03:10 AM
The chances of the Gophers getting better are good. The chances of the Bison staying as good as they have been isn't nearly as good. We'll leave it at thatYour Gophers have no where else to go but up. Don't worry about the BISON we will be just fine.

heckler
02-10-2008, 03:27 AM
So based on the statement alone, how can you disprove that UND isn't better then NDSU then? Last time I recall, UND beat NDSU last. Granted I think NDSU would throttle UND, but based on the statement.......

Well if we are basing how good NDSU is based on historical factors I think NDSU takes the cake... easy...

BlueBisonRock
02-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Yowsir has this thread gone to crap!

Nobohl, I am an NDSU alum and a UofMN alum. Your comments embarrass me from both perspectives. And, yes. I happen to listen to Max frequently. I especially agree with his comment after that game. Damn, the gophers were dominated.

Nobohl, I also agree that Brewster has put an excellent recruiting class together. In fact, I was discussing this success with my daughter (another UofMN alum) today. It is unfortunate that in her UofMN 'career', she has NOT seen a decent football team despite her fondest hope that this would happen. In fact today, she explained just how bad each of the last 5 MN seasons had been. (footnote: It would be near impossible for any UofMN alumni since the late 60s – OK, I will give you the Holtz years – to claim that they have seen a good UofMN football team.)

Frankly, I do believe that the jury is still out and that Brewster does deserve a couple of years to make to prove himself. However, others on this board can have and deserve to voice their perspective if / when it is different. After all, it is a Bison board.

Now, PLEASE: take a deep breath and repeat the Gopher football mantra: "Who hates Iowa?" "We hate Iowa!". The other one: "FI - RE Mason!" no longer applies.

WildBill
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
No you get use to having a blow heart of a coach and to losing. Oh that's right you are use to it.

And you know he's a blow heart(it's blowhard BTW) how? By a few soundbites? You know nothing about MN football and that ok. Just don't pretend you do. MN's football history is quite extensive and successful.

WildBill
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Yowsir has this thread gone to crap!

Nobohl, I am an NDSU alum and a UofMN alum. Your comments embarrass me from both perspectives. And, yes. I happen to listen to Max frequently. I especially agree with his comment after that game. Damn, the gophers were dominated.

Nobohl, I also agree that Brewster has put an excellent recruiting class together. In fact, I was discussing this success with my daughter (another UofMN alum) today. It is unfortunate that in her UofMN 'career', she has NOT seen a decent football team despite her fondest hope that this would happen. In fact today, she explained just how bad each of the last 5 MN seasons had been. (footnote: It would be near impossible for any UofMN alumni since the late 60s – OK, I will give you the Holtz years – to claim that they have seen a good UofMN football team.)

Frankly, I do believe that the jury is still out and that Brewster does deserve a couple of years to make to prove himself. However, others on this board can have and deserve to voice their perspective if / when it is different. After all, it is a Bison board.

Now, PLEASE: take a deep breath and repeat the Gopher football mantra: "Who hates Iowa?" "We hate Iowa!". The other one: "FI - RE Mason!" no longer applies.

My comment embarass you? How so? Nothing i have said has put down NDSU in any way. Some may say that the comment about Gophers improving is more likely than continued NDSU success. Gophers have a new stadium coming,better community support and better players on the way. They can only improve. NDSU can only really go down.

tjbison
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
My comment embarass you? How so? Nothing i have said has put down NDSU in any way. Some may say that the comment about Gophers improving is more likely than continued NDSU success. Gophers have a new stadium coming,better community support and better players on the way. They can only improve. NDSU can only really go down.

I agree that UM can only improve (they can get a little worse 0-12:p sorry had to throw that in), but NDSU can still improve also, no playoff wins in the FCS yet, haven't won the Gateway yet, Haven't hit Chatty for the Big Trophy! there is still a big hill to climb! I feel we can see the top though:nod:

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
They can only improve.

I would hope so. They're supposed to be representing the state of Minnesota in a major BCS conference.

The only similarity NDSU and the Gophers really have from a college football standpoint is the fact that they are similar competition, with NDSU getting the edge.

It's embarrassing to think the Gophers let even get to this state as it is. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Drop down to D1AA. You'll be much more competitive, and you might make a run every once in a while.

Thank the lord for the success of the NDSU Bison to dilute the embarrassment of being a Gopher fan for all the diehard football fans in this region that pull for the local teams.

BlueBisonRock
02-10-2008, 07:53 PM

How so? Very simply - as a person, you are demonstrating an air of superiority as well as a degree of rudeness. The attitude is similar to the Tim Brewster 'little green men' comments. Remove the haughtiness, and your comments may be better accepted.

You will find, if you choose to listen, that the folks from ND - for the most part - support and are happy for the UofMN. I for one, sent the cards and letters providing a fact based argument in favor of the stadium. And, I am excited that there is a respected recruiting class coming in.

And please note: In the twenty years that I have lived in this state (MN), the best that the UofMN football program has experienced was the (Motor/Music) City Bowl. You are right, there is only one direction for the Gophers to go and that is up. Same has been said for most of those twenty years.

On the flip side, the Bison have had one of the best programs in Small College, DII, and now in DI-FCS over the last 40+ years. They have consistently built the program and have continued to improve (go up).

Now a suggestion. Take some time to read through Shawn-O's posts. There is an individual who does communicate effectively and positively, even though he is a traditional rival. And, have a great day.

SirHinn
02-11-2008, 01:22 AM
How so? Very simply - as a person, you are demonstrating an air of superiority as well as a degree of rudeness. The attitude is similar to the Tim Brewster 'little green men' comments. Remove the haughtiness, and your comments may be better accepted.

You will find, if you choose to listen, that the folks from ND - for the most part - support and are happy for the UofMN. I for one, sent the cards and letters providing a fact based argument in favor of the stadium. And, I am excited that there is a respected recruiting class coming in.

And please note: In the twenty years that I have lived in this state (MN), the best that the UofMN football program has experienced was the (Motor/Music) City Bowl. You are right, there is only one direction for the Gophers to go and that is up. Same has been said for most of those twenty years.

On the flip side, the Bison have had one of the best programs in Small College, DII, and now in DI-FCS over the last 40+ years. They have consistently built the program and have continued to improve (go up).

Now a suggestion. Take some time to read through Shawn-O's posts. There is an individual who does communicate effectively and positively, even though he is a traditional rival. And, have a great day.

Very well said!

WildBill
02-11-2008, 02:03 AM

I got jumped by several of you because of this post. I don't see anything that is haughty,especially considering that several of you say you are Gopher fans as well. If anything several fans here have quite the superiorty complex. I will voluntarily leave,although several of you are good posters that would be welcome on any board. Too bad a few challenged individuals can't take another point of view.

WildBill
02-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh,one last thing. Brewster got a commit from Moses Alipate,QB today. He is the top player in MN for 2009 and ranked 57th overall in the nation. For all you Gopher fans that are interested

Herd
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Again, at this point Brewster has shown that he can recruit. If you continue to claim that he has shown the ability to coach, I will continue to correct you. To claim anything more after last year would be crazy talk.

And yes, I am a longtime gopher fan as my 2nd team, and wish only the best for the gophers.

And . . . your moniker sucks and if you want to hang around this board I would suggest changing it. This board respects Craig Bohl as a coach.

tony
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I've got a soft spot for the Gophs. Their fans were a blast to chat with, before and after the game.

I'm not even close to being a Gopher fan, mind you, but I don't see any positives to running down the Gophers or Brewster. Seriously, how did he tick us off so many people? I hope he says something idiotic before the rematch too.

Herd
02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
FWIW, I've got a soft spot for the Gophs. Their fans were a blast to chat with, before and after the game.

I'm not even close to being a Gopher fan, mind you, but I don't see any positives to running down the Gophers or Brewster. Seriously, how did he tick us off so many people? I hope he says something idiotic before the rematch too.

I don't think that I am running down Brewster, I am saying that he has yet to prove that he can coach. Others (No-Brew) have stated that he is a great coach which I think is laughable. He proved zero toward this end in 2007.

A good coach would have been 6-6 with last years MN roster, and a great coach could have been 8-4 and in a bowl. The MN fans (IMO) do not know what it means to have a great coach on the sidelines that is respected by the players. A coach that they would give 120% for, a coach that they pull together for and collectively are better than the sum of their parts, a coach that the rest of coaching staff respects and pulls together for. Brewster last year was a 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being poor and 5 being great (on the bench and in the lockerroom). In the newspaper and with a microphone in his face he is a 5 on the coaching scale, just ask him.

Is Craig Bohl a better coach on the field? Yes, no question about it. But MN wanted a high profile recruiter, and they got it. Will Brewster improve? Absolutely Will he be a good coach? Time will tell, I hope so.

56BISON73
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
It obvious that he is a good coach. This is reflected by his many years in CFB and the NFL. Whether he can be a good head coach is yet to be seen. Its also obvious that he is one hell of a recruiter.
It takes time to install a new system , recruit and develope those recruits.
Besides his little green man comment I cant see Why many are down on him. PL

TransAmBison
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
It obvious that he is a good coach. This is reflected by his many years in CFB and the NFL. Whether he can be a good head coach is yet to be seen. Its also obvious that he is one hell of a recruiter.
Two things- his record as head coach, and the Rose Bowl comments.

56BISON73
02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Two things- his record as head coach, and the Rose Bowl comments.

Why would his record last year have Bison fans down on him???? Makes no sense. Rose Bowl comment either. It has nothing to do with us. PL

TransAmBison
02-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Why would his record last year have Bison fans down on him???? Makes no sense. Rose Bowl comment either. It has nothing to do with us. PL
Nothing to do with us, but has everything to do with him as a coach. Like I've said before, I have nothing against him. Just stating what some people have against him. His record coupled with his remarks...going to draw some fire.

BlueBisonRock
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I have no problems with Brewster. I wish him the best and want him to have success. He deserves more than one (or two) year(s) to get his recruits in place and his program moving forward.

I did have concerns with Nobohl. Those concerns are listed in previous posts.

For the future, I hope the Bison do get another game with the UofMN in the future. If we do, I would also hope that members of Bisonville learn from the Nobohl approach and provide solid appropriate comments on any Gopher boards.

Bison Dan
02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Required reading for all the gopher fans that love the stars!

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

SirHinn
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM

So why has a team never won a national championship with a team full of 1 and 2 star recruits then? It's up to the coach, it shouldn't matter what "star athletes" the teams have according to one of your previous posts. If rivals and all these sites mean nothing, why hasn't a team with horrible recruiting classes according to these sites not won the ship? Aren't people saying that the Bison had one of their best recruiting classes ever mainly due to the fact that they got a bunch of 2 star players according to these sites.
Also, I'm kinda curious if you ever have anything positive to say in any of your posts?

Bison Dan
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
So why has a team never won a national championship with a team full of 1 and 2 star recruits then? It's up to the coach, it shouldn't matter what "star athletes" the teams have according to one of your previous posts. If rivals and all these sites mean nothing, why hasn't a team with horrible recruiting classes according to these sites not won the ship? Aren't people saying that the Bison had one of their best recruiting classes ever mainly due to the fact that they got a bunch of 2 star players according to these sites.
Also, I'm kinda curious if you ever have anything positive to say in any of your posts?

Gee I'm sorry I don't worship at the feet of coach Brewster. I actually liked MN before the mouth that roared came to town. All the article is saying is not all stars are created equal whether it be in quality and quantity of stars.

bisonhusker
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
My only problem with Punky was his comments before the Gopher Game. I think it was a lack of respect for an opponent. I am not only talking about the "little green men" comments, but also the "Lets go choke their ass out and sing the rouser." Ummm....show some class. It also fired up a certain running back from West Fargo that was informed that Brewster doesn't like playing us as he has no need to recruit ND kids. School record that Brewster!!!!!

Regarding his recruiting....I am just flat out amazed. That class is silly good. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Getting a ranked class to a bottom feeder Big 10 team that is coming off a one win season? Hello. Is he a great head coach? Who knows.

WildBill
02-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Boy,thats not a biased article is it? From a columnist in North Dakota.

WildBill
02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
My only problem with Punky was his comments before the Gopher Game. I think it was a lack of respect for an opponent. I am not only talking about the "little green men" comments, but also the "Lets go choke their ass out and sing the rouser." Ummm....show some class. It also fired up a certain running back from West Fargo that was informed that Brewster doesn't like playing us as he has no need to recruit ND kids. School record that Brewster!!!!!

Regarding his recruiting....I am just flat out amazed. That class is silly good. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Getting a ranked class to a bottom feeder Big 10 team that is coming off a one win season? Hello. Is he a great head coach? Who knows.

I have met Coach Brewster more than once and it was simply an attempt to fire up his team. For those who claim he can't coach,then why did two of the best NFL coaches have him as an assistant? I said my piece,now i will leave....for now

aces1180
02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Boy,thats not a biased article is it? From a columnist in North Dakota.

Haha...You don't know squat about this columnist do you? He could be considered to some on this board as enemy No. 1. He's an equal opportunity ripper.

Herd
02-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Nice point, agreed. I am referring to his Head Coaching ability. Big difference between Tight Ends coach and Head Coach. As Head Coach leadership, integrity, setting an example, etc, etc . . . at a high level is required. Your actions speak greater than your words as HC.

Herd
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I have met Coach Brewster more than once and it was simply an attempt to fire up his team. For those who claim he can't coach,then why did two of the best NFL coaches have him as an assistant? I said my piece,now i will leave....for now

Key word "Assistant". How many Head jobs on his resume? Leading, building trust, pull people together . . . seemed to be lacking in 2007.

I would be happy to see him have success and want nothing more than a winner in MN! He just really has a lot to prove. I'll try to be patient.

WildBill
02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Key word "Assistant". How many Head jobs on his resume? Leading, building trust, pull people together . . . seemed to be lacking in 2007.

I would be happy to see him have success and want nothing more than a winner in MN! He just really has a lot to prove. I'll try to be patient.

talent was the only thing lacking in 2007,but lets not get into that again

TransAmBison
02-12-2008, 03:10 AM
I would beg to differ on that as well. They had just went to a bowl game the year before. They adopted the spread offense and put up impressive numbers with it. Their tackling sucked. They were not good at the fundementals. That is coaching, at least in part.

BlueBisonRock
02-12-2008, 03:15 AM

You know. You have made a number of GOOD points in this exchange.

Now, a bit of give and take is needed for your points to continue to have merit.

I do not see anyone on this forum with the 'name' NoBrewser' or NoTim'. Or NoGophers.

So, how about YOU demonstrate a bit of serious 'negotiation' and change this name. I guarantee, I will respect you in the morning (given you make this change)! This, more than any other aspect of these discussions has negated my listening to any of your arguments.

OK?

Civil06
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Nice point, agreed. I am referring to his Head Coaching ability. Big difference between Tight Ends coach and Head Coach. As Head Coach leadership, integrity, setting an example, etc, etc . . . at a high level is required. Your actions speak greater than your words as HC.

I agree with you point about actions. I'm down on Brewster because he doesn't come across as sincere. There's a difference between having a positive attitude after a loss, and being what IMO feels to be forced happiness. Also, 3 times lately I've heard him describe himself on the radio as humble because of last season. I've never met a truly humble person - those leaders in our lives we strive to be like - that would describe themself as humble. Humble walks, doesn't talk. I wish Brewster luck and want to see him succeed, but that's I have negative feelings towards him at this point.

WildBill
02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
You know. You have made a number of GOOD points in this exchange.

Now, a bit of give and take is needed for your points to continue to have merit.

I do not see anyone on this forum with the 'name' NoBrewser' or NoTim'. Or NoGophers.

So, how about YOU demonstrate a bit of serious 'negotiation' and change this name. I guarantee, I will respect you in the morning (given you make this change)! This, more than any other aspect of these discussions has negated my listening to any of your arguments.

OK?

I may consider changing the name,but it won't be because you want me to. I have heard a lot of things in my life,but i have never heard a suggestion such as yours. Change a name to get respect? If i change it,you may not like the results. While it may be insulting for you,it is pretty insulting calling Brewster Punky.

TransAmBison
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I may consider changing the name,but it won't be because you want me to. I have heard a lot of things in my life,but i have never heard a suggestion such as yours. Change a name to get respect? If i change it,you may not like the results. While it may be insulting for you,it is pretty insulting calling Brewster Punky.
How about we just refer to you as sh%tforbrains? You claim NDSU is your 2nd favorite team with that "handle"??? Give me a break. You said before you have a right to be here. Sure you do, I don't deny that. I'm just saying your are a Gopher troll. You never have anything positive to add to a conversation that is about Bison athletics. It just seems weird you are here. Go clutter up www.livegophernudes.com (http://www.livegophernudes.com) or something. :D

BlueBisonRock
02-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah, you may need to make the change just to get around the ignore selection. Keep in mind: However noble your cause is in your mind, your selected handle is an affront to Bison fans.

Regarding Coach Brewster, I wish him the best. I agree it would be insulting to him and the Gopher fans IF I were to join the gopherhole with the handle PunkyBrewster. On the other hand, refering to him as Punky during a discussion on this board is really no different than my using the nickname recommended by TA when referring to you.

Have a great day! :howdy:

WildBill
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM

I beg to differ. Head coaches are basically managers of an organization. I coach HS baseball,and i will be the 1st to tell you that a coach is only as good as the people around him. Brewster has experienced coordinators on offense and defense. I have no doubt you will see a difference in year 2

UTH
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
How about we just refer to you as sh%tforbrains? You claim NDSU is your 2nd favorite team with that "handle"??? Give me a break. You said before you have a right to be here. Sure you do, I don't deny that. I'm just saying your are a Gopher troll. You never have anything positive to add to a conversation that is about Bison athletics. It just seems weird you are here. Go clutter up www.livegophernudes.com (http://www.livegophernudes.com) or something. :D

You may wish to update your bookmarks. That link is broken.

I was hoping for something like...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bison%20Gophers%20game/SquirrelsMakingOutanimals.jpg

WildBill
02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
so how does one change their username?

56BISON73
02-13-2008, 12:18 AM

I thought you said you werent going to post here anymore???PL

tjbison
02-13-2008, 12:22 AM
You may wish to update your bookmarks. That link is broken.

I was hoping for something like...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bison%20Gophers%20game/SquirrelsMakingOutanimals.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:!!

WildBill
02-13-2008, 02:22 AM
I thought you said you werent going to post here anymore???PL

Nope,i'm convinced it would be better to stay.

56BISON73
02-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Nope,i'm convinced it would be better to stay.

Better for who?? Its certainly not Bisonville. PL

KC Bison
02-13-2008, 02:56 AM

Two questions for my Gopher friends. I know that it can be difficult to get an NFL head coaching job but why did Brewster never get an offensive or defensive coordinator job?? If people were so impressed with him at that level, it seems that a coordinator job should have been his at some point.

Secondly, and I know this is beating a dead horse but I never get an answer from a Gopher fan. If talent was the only thing lacking in 2007 and Bison didn't have a single player worth recruiting by the Gophers, why the heck did they get the crap beat out of them by the Bison?

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Secondly, and I know this is beating a dead horse but I never get an answer from a Gopher fan. If talent was the only thing lacking in 2007 and Bison didn't have a single player worth recruiting by the Gophers, why the heck did they get the crap beat out of them by the Bison?

They were clearly outcoached.

My uncle was at the game, and he's a diehard Gopher fan. He sat behind the Minnesota benches. He was disappointed in throughout the game, series after series, the kids would come off and do their own thing. The coaches wouldn't talk to them much, nothing. They had their brief discussions about the series as a unit, but there wasn't much communication between the coaches.

Meanwhile, when he's checking out the NDSU sidelines with his binocs, there was almost always a coach addressing the players as individuals. And that's aside from the times the coaches are talking to them as units.

My uncle will be the first to tell you he doesn't have a clue in coaching, but apparently he kept wondering why in the he!! were the UofM coaches not communicating with the players. "They need all the help they can get".

SirHinn
02-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Two questions for my Gopher friends. I know that it can be difficult to get an NFL head coaching job but why did Brewster never get an offensive or defensive coordinator job?? If people were so impressed with him at that level, it seems that a coordinator job should have been his at some point.

It's a a very simple answer to your question, Glen Mason was a horrible recruiter and never addressed speed on the defensive side of the ball. There were guys on the Bison team that were recruited by the Gophers but they got passed over for other players. Lots of guys such as Matt Anderson, Ramon Humber, or even Mike Maresh received interest from the Gophers. It's not like the Bison are getting a bunch of scrubs from Minnesota, for the most part they are landing guys that very easily could be playing for the Gophers. Did you see the Gophers defense or lack there of all season? Did you see that bowling ball running faster then the cornerbacks and safeties for the Gophers? Granted the Bison dominated statistically against the Gophers, but didn't they only win by 6? You talk like the Bison won by 40, they didn't. The Gophers obviously lost because they were dominanted by the coaching staff as well as the players and the Bison had a better scheme and the players were more physical.

Brewster was never a defensive coordinator because he's been a tight ends coach his whole career. He was the tight ends coach at UNC, Texas, San Diego, and Denver. At Denver he was an assistant head coach as well. It's not like Brewster wasn't a hot commodity before he was hired at Minnesota. It was only a matter of time before Brewster landed a job as the head coach at a big time university. As for why he was never an Offensive Coordinator, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

BlueBisonRock
02-13-2008, 04:42 AM

You may want to send a PM to Admin or to one of the Moderators. Or, just create a new one.

If you do change, I suggest NoBull.

WildBill
02-13-2008, 10:57 PM

Glen mason is the answer to your question

WildBill
02-13-2008, 10:59 PM
They were clearly outcoached.

My uncle was at the game, and he's a diehard Gopher fan. He sat behind the Minnesota benches. He was disappointed in throughout the game, series after series, the kids would come off and do their own thing. The coaches wouldn't talk to them much, nothing. They had their brief discussions about the series as a unit, but there wasn't much communication between the coaches.

Meanwhile, when he's checking out the NDSU sidelines with his binocs, there was almost always a coach addressing the players as individuals. And that's aside from the times the coaches are talking to them as units.

My uncle will be the first to tell you he doesn't have a clue in coaching, but apparently he kept wondering why in the he!! were the UofM coaches not communicating with the players. "They need all the help they can get".

Ok,i'll bite. if the Gophers were clearly outcoached,why did the Bison only win by 6?

Gully
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok,i'll bite. if the Gophers were clearly outcoached,why did the Bison only win by 6?

Because they have 20+ less scholarships and do not have the recruiting prestige of being in the Big 10. Next question, please.

silkamilkamonico
02-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Home game. 2-3 plays that could have busted the game open.

Watching the game, and looking at the stats on paper, you would have thought NDSU was the Big 10 team, and the Gophers were the D2 team going through the transition.

Let's not forgot, the Gophers were arguably the worst Division 1 football team in the nation, and obviously worse then at least one D1AA team.

tjbison
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Home game. 2-3 plays that could have busted the game open.

Watching the game, and looking at the stats on paper, you would have thought NDSU was the Big 10 team, and the Gophers were the D2 team going through the transition.

Let's not forgot, the Gophers were arguably the worst Division 1 football team in the nation, and obviously worse then at least one D1AA team.

I would say 25!

tcbison
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Only 6 points huh? Considering the Gophers didn't even get past the 50 yard line in the 4th quarter and NDSU finished the ball game in the redzone, 6 points looks like quite a bit to me.

WildBill
02-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Because they have 20+ less scholarships and do not have the recruiting prestige of being in the Big 10. Next question, please.

Your answer makes no sense

sambini
02-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Wild Bill how was Texas?

tcbison
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Wild Bill how was Texas?

Sambini I think you have the wrong guy. Wild Bill changed his name from Nobohl.

RodentiaX
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
6 points look like 6 points to me. The Gophers did lead until 7:46 remaining in the 4th. There were a couple really key moments. One was the Bison's first TD, I thought that Roehl was going to be stopped. You can argue whether it was a blown tackle or a great play by Roehl, but had that tackle been made, it would have not only saved a TD, but would have prevented a huge momentum shift. The other was the drive at the end of the first half for the FG. Getting a drive that that with 34 seconds left at your own 7 is not only rare, but really gives a team a momentum boost.

The game was a statistical blowout, but it was a one score game. It would well have gone the other way. The Bison deserved to win, but I don't think the Gophers would have lost to too many FCS teams last year. As far as the Gophers being the worst team in the FBS, if you believe Sagarin, there are a number of FBS teams that were worse. Arguably the worst team in a BSC conference (Duke also had a 1-11 season, but had a stronger strength of schedule).

The Gophers did lose 6 games by 1 TD or less, so it wouldn't take tremendous improvements to win a few more games next year. I expect that the next time NDSU comes on the Gophers' schedule, that NDSU will face a more challenging opponent.

tcbison
02-14-2008, 11:36 PM
6 points look like 6 points to me. The Gophers did lead until 7:46 remaining in the 4th. There were a couple really key moments. One was the Bison's first TD, I thought that Roehl was going to be stopped. You can argue whether it was a blown tackle or a great play by Roehl, but had that tackle been made, it would have not only saved a TD, but would have prevented a huge momentum shift. The other was the drive at the end of the first half for the FG. Getting a drive that that with 34 seconds left at your own 7 is not only rare, but really gives a team a momentum boost.

The game was a statistical blowout, but it was a one score game. It would well have gone the other way. The Bison deserved to win, but I don't think the Gophers would have lost to too many FCS teams last year. As far as the Gophers being the worst team in the FBS, if you believe Sagarin, there are a number of FBS teams that were worse. Arguably the worst team in a BSC conference (Duke also had a 1-11 season, but had a stronger strength of schedule).

The Gophers did lose 6 games by 1 TD or less, so it wouldn't take tremendous improvements to win a few more games next year. I expect that the next time NDSU comes on the Gophers' schedule, that NDSU will face a more challenging opponent.

RodentiaX,
I am sorry but you got your facts wrong. NDSU scored its TD to take the lead with 12:56 to go in the 4th quarter. Then NDSU scored a FG with 7:45 left to go in the 4th quarter to extend the lead to 6. Time of possession for the Gophers in the 4th quarter was under 3 minutes! 2 possession for the Gophers, one drive ended in 3 plays and a INT, the other was 3 plays and punt. NDSU dominated the 4th quarter.

I suppose if NDSU wanted to run up the score they could have tacked on another TD or FG at the end but that wasn't necessary.

Anyway, I hope NDSU and Minnesota can play again. Maybe in 2010.

RodentiaX
02-15-2008, 04:37 AM
You are correct, I misread the scoring summary for the game.

I do think the Gophers offense will be more consistent next season. As for the defense, well, it couldn't get much worse. In that area, poor would be an improvement.

SirHinn
02-15-2008, 06:21 AM
RodentiaX,
I am sorry but you got your facts wrong. NDSU scored its TD to take the lead with 12:56 to go in the 4th quarter. Then NDSU scored a FG with 7:45 left to go in the 4th quarter to extend the lead to 6. Time of possession for the Gophers in the 4th quarter was under 3 minutes! 2 possession for the Gophers, one drive ended in 3 plays and a INT, the other was 3 plays and punt. NDSU dominated the 4th quarter.

I suppose if NDSU wanted to run up the score they could have tacked on another TD or FG at the end but that wasn't necessary.

Anyway, I hope NDSU and Minnesota can play again. Maybe in 2010.

They weren't going to tack on another TD or FG, Craig Bohl wanted to escape with the win. Anything but a running play in that situation very well could have led to a turnover, so don't try and tell me that they could have ran up the score. Certainly Craig Bohl wasn't going to try and pull a Damon Tomeo, he understands a W is a W and it isn't worth losing the game over.

tcbison
02-15-2008, 11:55 AM
They weren't going to tack on another TD or FG, Craig Bohl wanted to escape with the win. Anything but a running play in that situation very well could have led to a turnover, so don't try and tell me that they could have ran up the score. Certainly Craig Bohl wasn't going to try and pull a Damon Tomeo, he understands a W is a W and it isn't worth losing the game over.

I said it wasn't necessary. Didn't you read that? There was no reason to run up the score but NDSU was in that position if they had wanted to. It was the right call to take 2 knees, plus it allowed time for the fans to really cheer on their team.

heckler
02-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Using your reverse logic: The gophs won a game by only 6 points so it wouldn't take tremendous decline to lose every game next year.

Using your logic, again: The gophs from 2006-2007 went 6-7. Three of those games they lost by 6 or less points. One of them was a bowl loss. So it shouldn't take tremendous improvement to go 8-4 or even 9-3 and win a bowl game and go 9-4 or 10-3 overall.

heckler
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I said it wasn't necessary. Didn't you read that? There was no reason to run up the score but NDSU was in that position if they had wanted to. It was the right call to take 2 knees, plus it allowed time for the fans to really cheer on their team.

It was a nice size roar from the crowd! Then going to the sourthern utah game after that.... talk about football hangover.

RodentiaX
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
It is by no means a guarantee that close losses will turn into close wins the next season. It could well happen that those close losses turn into blowout losses. But which would you rather have, a team that had close losses the previous season, or a team that wasn't even close in their losses? Compare this the the 1983 Gophers team. That team one one game, that a close win over a Rice team that won only one game that season. The Gophers were blown out in each of their 10 losses that season, with the exception of a 7 point loss to Indiana. That team was in a deeper hole than this Gophers team.

The Big Ten schedule is more favorable in 2008, with the teams that the Gophers have a more reasonable expectations of winning being played at home. For the non-conference schedule, Northern Illinois should be an easier opponent than was Bowling Green, who the Gophers lost to by 1 in OT. Montana State ought to be not so difficult an opponent as NDSU. And FAU, who the Gophers lost to by 3 on the road, comes to the Metrodome.

And if Iowa wins the final Gophers game played in the Metrodome, they can tear down the Vikings goalposts for all I care. :-)

SirHinn
02-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Minnesota could have beaten NDSU as well then.....

56BISON73
02-15-2008, 11:34 PM
In reality SU was safe guarding a lead. Plus if it werent for the penalty on the punt who knows how the game would have ended as MN had two scores during the game that looked easy. SU wasnt in any position to try and run up the score. PL

WildBill
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
In reality SU was safe guarding a lead. Plus if it werent for the penalty on the punt who knows how the game would have ended as MN had two scores during the game that looked easy. SU wasnt in any position to try and run up the score. PL

Hmm..interesting. The Bison were safe guarding the lead,yet they dominated? That word gets thrown around way too much.

56BISON73
02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Hmm..interesting. The Bison were safe guarding the lead,yet they dominated? That word gets thrown around way too much.

They dominated the stats and looked very dominating. But as I said there were a couple of MN scores that were too easy.
Plus safe guarding a lead as the Bison did is SOP and I dont think any other team would have done differently. So please dont try to split hairs to try and argue the point. PL

Mr. Burgundy
02-16-2008, 02:07 AM
when I think about "dominating" a game, I think about time of posession and rushing yards. Those are just two of many stats, but if you can do those two things, you will "dominate" alot of games, just as the Bison did last year.

WildBill
02-16-2008, 09:45 AM
when I think about "dominating" a game, I think about time of posession and rushing yards. Those are just two of many stats, but if you can do those two things, you will "dominate" alot of games, just as the Bison did last year.

Then we have two different ideas of domination. Teams that "dominate" should win by more than 6 in my book

Mr. Burgundy
02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
shocking you would disagree with me Nobohl. Put it this way, if the gophers defense is on the field the entire 4th quarter, and we put up record amounts of rushing yards on them....they were dominated. Did the score reflect it? NO. Just ask one of their D line if NDSU dominated the ball....Not sure why this is hard to admit. Face it, Bison fans are typically also Gopher fans. But, in that game....it was a dominating performance.

Alot of us in here really hope Brewster can coach as good as he can recruit, as that is was unreal class of kids that came in...and are coming in. He already booked that 4 star QB Alilate...I am sure I spelled that wrong. He is big. (I am waiting to see which one of those quarterbacks is going to transfer!!) No, none of them can play another position. Brewster said that last week on the Sid show.

Moral of the story, we dominated the game. Gophers got a top 20 recruiting class, and we are playing for a National Championship this year in front of sold out crowds. Hey, everyone's a weeeener.

So Nobohl/Wildbill, you can continually disagree with what is said on a BISON board, or you can maybe focus on the future of Gopher athletics. I am sure that is a topic on many other message boards. But, if you try to say that it wasn't dominating....I am sure you will find someone to discuss that with on this board.

heckler
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Minnesota could have beaten NDSU as well then.....

Obviously not.

90BISON
02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Then we have two different ideas of domination. Teams that "dominate" should win by more than 6 in my book

Maybe this will make you feel better, "It was the most lopsided 6 point victory in the last decade". If someone puts up almost 600 yds of offense, one back puts up over 250 yds rushing, double your offensive output, lets your offense run a whole 6 plays in the final quarter, what would you call it if not being dominated?

90BISON
02-16-2008, 05:33 PM

Maybe this will make you feel better, "It was the most lopsided 6 point victory in the last decade". If someone puts up almost 600 yds of offense, one back puts up over 250 yds rushing, double your offensive output, lets your offense run a whole 6 plays in the final quarter, what would you call it if not being dominated?:confused:

56BISON73
02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
The guy is here to argue. Just like Mpls over at the other website. He will argue a point even though all the facts are against him. He will then change the subject and start all over again. Its his MO. PL

WildBill
02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
The guy is here to argue. Just like Mpls over at the other website. He will argue a point even though all the facts are against him. He will then change the subject and start all over again. Its his MO. PL

so having a different point of view is arguing? I merely said what my idea of domination was. So,if the Bison would've lost,would it still be called domination? I do not believe i have ever changed the subject. I started posting about the Gophers recruiting success and before long we are back to the game.

WildBill
02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe this will make you feel better, "It was the most lopsided 6 point victory in the last decade". If someone puts up almost 600 yds of offense, one back puts up over 250 yds rushing, double your offensive output, lets your offense run a whole 6 plays in the final quarter, what would you call it if not being dominated?

With MN defense,those numbers were a weekly thing,ask any gopher fan.

90BISON
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
With MN defense,those numbers were a weekly thing,ask any gopher fan.

The only difference being, in the Bison/Gopher game their offense didn't / couldn't reciprocate like they did against some of the other teams they played, other than a couple big plays.

WildBill
02-16-2008, 10:30 PM
The only difference being, in the Bison/Gopher game their offense didn't / couldn't reciprocate like they did against some of the other teams they played, other than a couple big plays.

whatever you say chief

WildBill
02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't think that I am running down Brewster, I am saying that he has yet to prove that he can coach. Others (No-Brew) have stated that he is a great coach which I think is laughable. He proved zero toward this end in 2007.

A good coach would have been 6-6 with last years MN roster, and a great coach could have been 8-4 and in a bowl. The MN fans (IMO) do not know what it means to have a great coach on the sidelines that is respected by the players. A coach that they would give 120% for, a coach that they pull together for and collectively are better than the sum of their parts, a coach that the rest of coaching staff respects and pulls together for. Brewster last year was a 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being poor and 5 being great (on the bench and in the lockerroom). In the newspaper and with a microphone in his face he is a 5 on the coaching scale, just ask him.

Is Craig Bohl a better coach on the field? Yes, no question about it. But MN wanted a high profile recruiter, and they got it. Will Brewster improve? Absolutely Will he be a good coach? Time will tell, I hope so.

At no point have i ever called Brewster a great coach. As a coach myself,there is always room for improvement. For example,Kirk Ferentz of Iowa also went 1-11 his first year as coach at Iowa. He now is one of the better gameday coaches there is in the Big 10. he has veteran coordinators and now has some talent. You are dead wrong about the players not respecting Brewster. They played their asses off for him except for a few games. But i do respect your opinion,it was well thought out and non confrontational.

tcbison
02-17-2008, 01:09 AM
WildBill,
Being the big Bison fan that you are what are your thought on this next season? Will you be coming to any NDSU games?

tcbison

WildBill
02-17-2008, 01:25 AM
WildBill,
Being the big Bison fan that you are what are your thought on this next season? Will you be coming to any NDSU games?

tcbison

If my schedule allows and it doesn't interfere with the Gophers? Then yes. I am curious to see how the Bison handle the transition to the Gateway. I also would like to see Mertens finally get his shot. Also curious to see how Matt Veldman is doing. I saw that kid grow up right before my own eyes.

56BISON73
02-17-2008, 02:10 AM
so having a different point of view is arguing? I merely said what my idea of domination was. So,if the Bison would've lost,would it still be called domination? I do not believe i have ever changed the subject. I started posting about the Gophers recruiting success and before long we are back to the game.

Wild willie
If you have something to say say it here. Using the rep comment section to make condescending comments is very telling. But considering youve been banned before I guess thats the only way you can show your agnst. And yes I did respond in kind with a comment in the rep section to you. :D
PL

sambini
02-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Is this the same Wild Bill?

Bisonguy
02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Is this the same Wild Bill?

It's the former 'nobohl', not BuffaloBillJr. or any of his other 1,000 aliases.

56BISON73
02-17-2008, 02:20 AM
It's the former 'nobohl', not BuffaloBillJr. or any of his other 1,000 aliases.

My guess is willie is the former mplsbison. The same one who spews his excrement over at the other website.:D PL

Bisonguy
02-17-2008, 02:29 AM
My guess is willie is the former mplsbison. The same one who spews his excrement over at the other website.:D PL

Nah ,Mplsbison has been consistent over the years. This is a disgruntled Gopher fan that feels the need to defend Brewster's honor every chance he gets.

Heck, on second thought, maybe it's Brewster's mom?

56BISON73
02-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Nah ,Mplsbison has been consistent over the years. This is a disgruntled Gopher fan that feels the need to defend Brewster's honor every chance he gets.

Heck, on second thought, maybe it's Brewster's mom?

Hmmm If not they sure have alot in common. But I guess there could be TWO people who like to argue all the time. LOL :D PL

TransAmBison
02-17-2008, 02:58 AM
I just hope Buffalobilljr (or whatever he calls himself now) doesn't come back. I know Sambini likes him (Sambini pretty much likes everybody) but this guy is a nutjob. The guy needs to be committed. Total freak. Most idiotic ideas I've heard. Hopefully I'm not being too vague.

90BISON
02-17-2008, 04:30 AM
I just hope Buffalobilljr (or whatever he calls himself now) doesn't come back. I know Sambini likes him (Sambini pretty much likes everybody) but this guy is a nutjob. The guy needs to be committed. Total freak. Most idiotic ideas I've heard. Hopefully I'm not being too vague.

No really, tell us what you really think, don't hold back man.:D Best troll bait I've seen in these parts for awhile.

Bisonguy
02-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Hmmm If not they sure have alot in common. But I guess there could be TWO people who like to argue all the time. LOL :D PL

LOL- The internet is 75% porn, 20% useless arguments, and 5% useful information. I'm guessing there's a lot more than two.

TransAmBison
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
LOL- The internet is 75% porn, 20% useless arguments, and 5% useful information. I'm guessing there's a lot more than two.
what category does this board fall into? Looking at your figures, odds are this is porn. If so, it is indeed a sad day. :D

WildBill
02-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Sorry,but we are not the same person. Btw,i have never been banned,and near as i can tell,you can't be banned for having a different point of view. And yes,i am a coach,whether you want to believe it or not. Have a nice day

WildBill
02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
No really, tell us what you really think, don't hold back man.:D Best troll bait I've seen in these parts for awhile.

It would be too easy to retaliate,so i won't. Have a nice day.

SirHinn
02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
At no point have i ever called Brewster a great coach. As a coach myself,there is always room for improvement. For example,Kirk Ferentz of Iowa also went 1-11 his first year as coach at Iowa. He now is one of the better gameday coaches there is in the Big 10. he has veteran coordinators and now has some talent. You are dead wrong about the players not respecting Brewster. They played their asses off for him except for a few games. But i do respect your opinion,it was well thought out and non confrontational.

I think part of the problem was he lost the respect of the upperclassmen and the upperclassmen most likely felt that this was a lost season to begin with considering most of players didn't fit in the schemes Brewster was trying to imploy. How do you try and get someone to play hard when that player expected to play a lot his senior year and he's relegated to bench status? Another problem is when the players don't play their ass off every play, there is absolutely no excuse for that and ultimately the coach has to be responsible for that. Brewster must step up and continue to try and improve on his weaknesses.
People shouldn't expect instant results though and should realize it takes time. Anyone though who also claims the Gophers were one of the worst teams in the FBS are just plain ignorant and clearly didn't watch any college football outside of Bison game. One of the worst teams in the FBS woudln't even be able to compete let alone stand on the same field as teams as Wisconsin or Ohio St.

silkamilkamonico
02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I think part of the problem was he lost the respect of the upperclassmen and the upperclassmen most likely felt that this was a lost season to begin with considering most of players didn't fit in the schemes Brewster was trying to imploy. How do you try and get someone to play hard when that player expected to play a lot his senior year and he's relegated to bench status? Another problem is when the players don't play their ass off every play, there is absolutely no excuse for that and ultimately the coach has to be responsible for that. Brewster must step up and continue to try and improve on his weaknesses.
People shouldn't expect instant results though and should realize it takes time. Anyone though who also claims the Gophers were one of the worst teams in the FBS are just plain ignorant and clearly didn't watch any college football outside of Bison game. One of the worst teams in the FBS woudln't even be able to compete let alone stand on the same field as teams as Wisconsin or Ohio St.

Brewster's a great coach, and one of the best up and coming coaches in the nation. It was just clearly Mason's recruits that led to his undeserving year this year. if it wasn't for Brewster they wouldn't even have been in half those games, and would have been "dominated" by halftime.