PDA

View Full Version : June Jones to SMU

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I know this is old news but what an idiot. Hawaii countered with $1.6 million/yr! let me get this straight. If I'm him this is what I'm thinking. "Your going to pay me $1.6 million/yr and I get to live in Hawaii?" So he makes $400K more a year at SMU and I know a buck is a buck but when you are talking about that kind of money and the differences in location isn't really that much more? Plus SMU's conference sucks and he gets to compete against all the big time college football programs in Texas for recruits. Is there something I'm missing?

99Bison
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I know this is old news but what an idiot. Hawaii countered with $1.6 million/yr! let me get this straight. If I'm him this is what I'm thinking. "Your going to pay me $1.6 million/yr and I get to live in Hawaii?" So he makes $400K more a year at SMU and I know a buck is a buck but when you are talking about that kind of money and the differences in location isn't really that much more? Plus SMU's conference sucks and he gets to compete against all the big time college football programs in Texas for recruits. Is there something I'm missing?

He wants a challenge... and thinks he's reached the top of what Hawaii can go.

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
He wants a challenge... and thinks he's reached the top of what Hawaii can go.

But SMU? Does he just want to build another weak conference team up to eeck into a BCS bowl only to get destroyed by a BCS team? I could understand him leaving for a BCS conference team but to leave Hawaii for SMU in conference USA. That's a worse conference then the WAC. At least the WAC has Fresno and Boise St so you could make an argument that they sometimes play tough teams.

99Bison
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
But SMU? Does he just want to build another weak conference team up to eeck into a BCS bowl only to get destroyed by a BCS team? I could understand him leaving for a BCS conference team but to leave Hawaii for SMU in conference USA. That's a worse conference then the WAC. At least the WAC has Fresno and Boise St so you could make an argument that they sometimes play tough teams.

Sounds Challenging... :D

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Sounds Challenging... :D

Yeah, I guess that would be a challenge. $1.6 million on Waikiki Beach or $2.0 in the Big D? I'll take the beach every time.

BisonCountry
01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I guess that would be a challenge. $1.6 million on Waikiki Beach or $2.0 in the Big D? I'll take the beach every time.

Some other things that might be in consideration:

Every Away game for U of Hawaii is at least a 4 hr. Flight.

Cost of Living in Hawaii is quite high.

56BISON73
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Its called facilities!!!!! Easier recruiting. etc. Obviuosly he was tired of the non action of the university to upgrade the athletic facilities which I understand are the pits. There is a reason he left and it had to be powerful as money wasnt it. PL

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Some other things that might be in consideration:

Every Away game for U of Hawaii is at least a 4 hr. Flight.

Cost of Living in Hawaii is quite high.

$2 million will buy you one hell of a house in Texas. Not so much in Hawaii.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I think he was fed up with Hawaii, kind of a situation similar to the WVU coach except worse. The guy was handed with 50k to recruit with and a faciltiy that is horrible. Now he is headed to a program that is clearly committed to giving him the tools he needs and is in the middle of prime recruiting ground. Sure there is competition but there is also a lot of potential to do some big things.

99Bison
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I think he was fed up with Hawaii, kind of a situation similar to WVU coach except worse. The guy was handed with 50k to recruit with and a faciltiy that is horrible. Now he is headed to a program that is clearly committed to giving him the tools he needs and is in the middle of prime recruiting ground. Sure there is competition but there is also a lot of potential to some big things.

I also read the finances to succeed greater were in TX and not Hawaii.

onbison09
01-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Got that right. 20 boosters are donating 100K per year to pay for his contract. SMU is the rich school and they have no problem telling you. He will never starve for money, just talent.

56BISON73
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Why people are talking about the cost of living as a reason for the move doesnt make any sence. He was at HI for 11 years. The move was all about each schools facilities or lack therefore of and commitment to same. PL

BisonCountry
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Hopefully the don't start paying players again like they did in the 80's, or they might receive another NCAA Death Sentence.

BisonCountry
01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Why people are talking about the cost of living as a reason for the move doesnt make any sence. He was at HI for 11 years. The move was all about each schools facilities or lack therefore of and commitment to same. PL

Valid Point, but to a certain extent the cost of living in Hawaii might contribute to the other reason's you mention. I was in Hawaii last February and saw a news report mentioning that a family of 4 needed $55,000 income to be above poverty level and 20% of the pop. fell below that level. If you drive around Honolulu it is easy to see there is a lot of poverty and in some cases extreme poverty in that town.

56BISON73
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Valid Point, but to a certain extent the cost of living in Hawaii might contribute to the other reason's you mention. I was in Hawaii last February and saw a news report mentioning that a family of 4 needed $55,000 income to be above poverty level and 20% of the pop. fell below that level. If you drive around Honolulu it is easy to see there is a lot of poverty and in some cases extreme poverty in that town.

The poverty level was one point I was leaving to later as HI is only paradise for so long. PL

99Bison
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Got that right. 20 boosters are donating 100K per year to pay for his contract. SMU is the rich school and they have no problem telling you. He will never starve for money, just talent.

Money not for him... For the program - facilities, recruiting, etc.

ndsubison1
01-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Bigger budget and SMU has pretty good facilities. Hawaii's is horrendous. I think it is a perfect fit for Jones and SMU. More room to work with now, plus C-USA is a better conference than the WAC.