PDA

View Full Version : WOW! A 2,000 Seat Arena

TheDoctor
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
WOW! A 2,000 seat arena??? The way they are playing, it better be standing room only at EVERY home game. ;)

THIS WEEK: The Summit League offers another tough road test this week when North Dakota State (8-7, 2-2) plays at league-leading IUPUI (11-3, 3-0) on Thursday. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at the IUPUI Gym (2,000) in Indianapolis, where the Jaguars have won seven in a row. North Dakota State plays at Western Illinois (6-8, 1-2) on Saturday before returning home for three straight. Tipoff Saturday is set for 7 p.m. CT at Western Hall (5,139) in Macomb, Ill.

Blue
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I bet you can easily find a premo seat at Western...

roadwarrior
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
IUPUI's home attendance this season:

IU - South Bend 715
Chicago State 612
Massachusetts 1123
Western Michigan 972
Florida Gulf Coast 742
IU Southeast 511

Average: 779

(IUPUI's enrollment is over 29,000)

roadwarrior
01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
So the conclusion I came to, there is going to be some room for Bison fans! Will you be there?

BISON Thunder
01-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if there will be an internet feed for this game...and if so, any of the fine local drinking establishments showing the game? Thanks in advance.

roadwarrior
01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
All Summit League games are on Summit TV.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/

fargocyclone
01-08-2008, 09:25 PM

IU - South Bend 715
Chicago State 612
Massachusetts 1123
Western Michigan 972
Florida Gulf Coast 742
IU Southeast 511

That's kind of pathetic...

If you do the math:
IUPUI's attendance is ~2.5x NDSU's
so relatively, NDSU's comparative average attendance is ~7500! :eek:

Bison bison
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
that's absolutely ridiculous reasoning.

fargocyclone
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
that's absolutely ridiculous reasoning.

Haha, I know. But it was kind of fun...:D

TheBisonator
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
779 average attendance for a school of 29,000 students is unacceptable. I guess IUPUI is really just a glorified vo-tech, or what??

onbison09
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM

IU - South Bend 715
Chicago State 612
Massachusetts 1123
Western Michigan 972
Florida Gulf Coast 742
IU Southeast 511

That's just embarassing.

UTH
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
779 average attendance for a school of 29,000 students is unacceptable. I guess IUPUI is really just a glorified vo-tech, or what??

IUPUI is one of the mostest awesomest campuses that I've ever walked through. The campus is half-encircled by rivers. It has parks all around, most notably the Military Park and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10669). IUPUI has a medical school with four hospitals, a dental school, a law school, and numerous research facilities. Other features on the campus include the NCAA Hall of Champions and the Indiana State Museum. Oh yeah, and the girls are very pretty. And it's a short walk from downtown Indianapolis.

Maybe the problem is that IUPUI attracts the artsy-fartsy types who lack the ability to really appreciate the fine art presented by a proper sporting event.

BisBison
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
This is good. I like learning about our new conference-mates.

TheDoctor
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM

IU - South Bend 715
Chicago State 612
Massachusetts 1123
Western Michigan 972
Florida Gulf Coast 742
IU Southeast 511

That is disturbing. UND must draw better than that! :rofl:

X-Factor
01-08-2008, 11:56 PM
anyone know if IUPUI is historically a good team? I just have a hard time seeing them being this successful year in and year out with that kind of fan support.

TheDoctor
01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
anyone know if IUPUI is historically a good team? I just have a hard time seeing them being this successful year in and year out with that kind of fan support.

And a name like IUPUI probably doesn't help either. I assume they are not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on the states list of Universitys to support. ;)

onbison09
01-09-2008, 01:46 AM
IUPUI is one of the mostest awesomest campuses that I've ever walked through. The campus is half-encircled by rivers. It has parks all around, most notably the Military Park and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10669). IUPUI has a medical school with four hospitals, a dental school, a law school, and numerous research facilities. Other features on the campus include the NCAA Hall of Champions and the Indiana State Museum. Oh yeah, and the girls are very pretty. And it's a short walk from downtown Indianapolis.

Maybe the problem is that IUPUI attracts the artsy-fartsy types who lack the ability to really appreciate the fine art presented by a proper sporting event.
Great pictures. Looks like a beautiful campus.

Bison bison
01-09-2008, 02:48 AM
I don't know why they don't change their name. Probably 'the government'.

90BISON
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
That is disturbing. UND must draw better than that! :rofl:

Only if they make the playoffs.:D

90BISON
01-09-2008, 08:04 PM

IU - South Bend 715
Chicago State 612
Massachusetts 1123
Western Michigan 972
Florida Gulf Coast 742
IU Southeast 511

So much for that "Home Court" advantage? I'll bet you have to stand on somebody's lap in the first row of seats to take the ball out of bounds on the sideline.

IndyBison
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM
IUPUI has a large number of students because they are historically a commuter school. Until recently there was very little on-campus housing. That is changing though. They recently made the move from NAIA to D1 (I think they've been D1 about 8-10 years now) so their athletic programs are very young. There has been a lot of talk about building a new arena downtown (somewhere in the 5-10K range) and they would play there.

They compete for a lot of sports attention in a great sports city. We have the Pacers (not great these days) and Colts during much of their season. IU and Purdue are the big time programs nearby and Ball State and Notre Dame also get a good following. Butler is also located in Indianapolis and they draw about 10K fans to their games (near capacity), especially now that they are consistently ranked in the top 20. There is also the Big 10 and NCAA basketball tournaments, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Nationals (drag racing), great high school basketball, olympic trials for many sports (often on the IUPUI campus), RCA Tennis Championships, and several other events throughout the year competing for attention.

IUPUI is a joint effort for both Indiana University and Purdue University on one campus (could you imagine NDSU and UND ever doing that?). When you attend, you actually get a degree from IU or Purdue depending on what you are studying. Because of their history, they don't have a strong alumni following as most alums pledge their allegiance to their home campus (IU or Purdue).

Their coach, Ron Hunter, is the real deal and he has been great at recruiting some of the top talent in Indy that didn't get looks from big-time schools for some reason. George Hill is one example. He went to an Indianapolis Public School which doesn't get the attention it should from big-time programs. He's a great coach and well-respected and probably won't be around much longer.

They have been a solid program for the past 5 or 6 years making it to the tournament in their first year of eligibility. They struggled last year after they lost George Hill to an injury. They are favored to win the Summit Conference this year and have played well so far. It would be tough for NDSU to get a win in a less than hostile environment.

I have never been to a game there but will definitely be in attendance tonight! I'm looking forward to cheering on the Bison. I haven't seen in them in person since I graduated. If anyone else will be there please let me know. I'll try to get back on here tomorrow to give everyone my thoughts.

fargocyclone
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Great first post! The addiction begins!

Those of us who aren't able to watch will be expecting a good analysis at the end! :D

Welcome to Bisonville!

sambini
01-10-2008, 11:49 PM
IUPUI has a large number of students because they are historically a commuter school. Until recently there was very little on-campus housing. That is changing though. They recently made the move from NAIA to D1 (I think they've been D1 about 8-10 years now) so their athletic programs are very young. There has been a lot of talk about building a new arena downtown (somewhere in the 5-10K range) and they would play there.

They compete for a lot of sports attention in a great sports city. We have the Pacers (not great these days) and Colts during much of their season. IU and Purdue are the big time programs nearby and Ball State and Notre Dame also get a good following. Butler is also located in Indianapolis and they draw about 10K fans to their games (near capacity), especially now that they are consistently ranked in the top 20. There is also the Big 10 and NCAA basketball tournaments, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Nationals (drag racing), great high school basketball, olympic trials for many sports (often on the IUPUI campus), RCA Tennis Championships, and several other events throughout the year competing for attention.

IUPUI is a joint effort for both Indiana University and Purdue University on one campus (could you imagine NDSU and UND ever doing that?). When you attend, you actually get a degree from IU or Purdue depending on what you are studying. Because of their history, they don't have a strong alumni following as most alums pledge their allegiance to their home campus (IU or Purdue).

Their coach, Ron Hunter, is the real deal and he has been great at recruiting some of the top talent in Indy that didn't get looks from big-time schools for some reason. George Hill is one example. He went to an Indianapolis Public School which doesn't get the attention it should from big-time programs. He's a great coach and well-respected and probably won't be around much longer.

They have been a solid program for the past 5 or 6 years making it to the tournament in their first year of eligibility. They struggled last year after they lost George Hill to an injury. They are favored to win the Summit Conference this year and have played well so far. It would be tough for NDSU to get a win in a less than hostile environment.

I have never been to a game there but will definitely be in attendance tonight! I'm looking forward to cheering on the Bison. I haven't seen in them in person since I graduated. If anyone else will be there please let me know. I'll try to get back on here tomorrow to give everyone my thoughts.

Welcome and thanks for the info. Do you go to the INDY 500?

Ivy
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Interesting info on IUPUI. I like learning about the Summit members.