PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get to the Dance......

WYOBISONMAN
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
In watching the Bison Basketball games this year (great access to the games via the Summit League webcasts), it has become apparent to me that there are two things this team needs to have consistent success in the conference and to have success that will propel them to the NCAA tourney next year.

1) A big inside guy. We need a physical and dominant inside player that will be consistent in giving NDSU rebounds. We probably have to go a JUCO player to try and get that in place for next year.

2) Consistent bench scoring. Our bench has to give us solid play that will allow us to rest our starters with out the risk of putting the team in a hole. If we can rest the starters, the Bison should not go flat in the second half as we have seen at times.

In short, we have a great cast of starters for the Bison, we just need a supporting cast to get this done. Without the big man and stronger bench play, a trip to the Dance could be a tough ticket.

BisonBlogger
01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope no one thought it was going to be a cake walk to get the NCAA bid with this group next year. Winning a winner take all tournament is always a crap shoot but I would hope NDSU may have a just as good a chance as our leading rivals next year to get that bid.

Oakland - Lose Cassise and McCloskey. Cassise has been a four year starter and has averaged 21 points against NDSU in their two meetings. Oakland will need to replace 11.1 points next season with these two gone. Jones, Nelson and Kangas are still a very formidable trio coming back. I feel Oakland will be the strongest overall team next season. We need to figure out a way to beat this team. The freshman Hudson getting double figures on us was hopefully a one time event.

IUIPI - Lose Connor/Montgomery/Van Senus. Amoung those three, Montgomery a talented wing player that averages 13.1 and shoots 45% from three and 88% from the FT line. IUIPI will need to replace 15.6 points next season. With a junior as talented as Hill, there is always the chance he may declare for the NBA also. No way of knowing how me match up with team until Thursday. Can Nelson or Winkleman slow down Hill at all.

Oral Roberts - Lose Oqunoye/LIberty/Ehambe/King. The later three all average about 10 points a game and the four are the bulk of their size coming back. This team will have a totally different look to them next season. They need to replace 31.2 points. Like our chances against these guys going forward.

Amoung the rest, Centenary appears to have team with three shot making guards that will always be tough to beat. And of course, we can never count out our regional rival SDSU. They will have a lot of experience coming back also.

All and all, the conference is what you would hope a good conference would be, no real bad teams with competitive games every time out for the most part.

Mr_Meanor
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
There is a senior who plays for Osseo named Zack Peterson who is 7'0 and weighs in at 305. I think he would take a lot of grooming but you can't teach 7'0. I don't think he has been getting many offers either but I could be wrong on that. He could really help NDSU out for years to come on the inside.

TheBisonator
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
There is a senior who plays for Osseo named Zack Peterson who is 7'0 and weighs in at 305. I think he would take a lot of grooming but you can't teach 7'0. I don't think he has been getting many offers either but I could be wrong on that. He could really help NDSU out for years to come on the inside.

305?? DAYUM!!!!!!!

Isn't Shaq 7'1" and 325?? He's just a little bit smaller than Shaq!!!

Give that kid a recruiting visit!!;)

NDSUstudent
01-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I like our bench, its starting to come around with all the game experience players are getting. These guys are young and the scary thing is that these guys could improve a lot between now and next season. Next year has the potential to be a great year.

TheBisonator
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I like our bench, its starting to come around with all the game experience players are getting. These guys are young and the scary thing is that these guys could improve a lot between now and next season. Next year has the potential to be a great year.

Our Fab-4 are good, but we desperately need a big statue in the inside as a rebound-gobbler. Mertens has interest in NDSU, but the guy's only 6'5", and he's more of a swift player than a statue. Someone mentioned the Osseo kid. We need to get some game film of him.

roadwarrior
01-07-2008, 07:38 PM
My opinion is if Saul can find the right JUCO player that can come in and contribute next season, that would be the best way to improve the team. I agree that the bench players are starting to contribute more on a consistent basis the past couple of weeks. It would be fantastic to get another player similar to Andre Smith for the next two seasons. A big help in our first year eligible and a big help in the year after the Fab 4 graduates.

NDSUstudent
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
We don't need a big statue, we need a 6'7 or 6'8 undersized big man who is athletic and scrappy. Somebody with a little edge. If Saul can find that type or player for next year we'll be set for next year and I'll be way more comfortable heading into 2009-2010.

Ferd
01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Our Fab-4 are good, but we desperately need a big statue in the inside as a rebound-gobbler. Mertens has interest in NDSU, but the guy's only 6'5", and he's more of a swift player than a statue. Someone mentioned the Osseo kid. We need to get some game film of him.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFlGzS9hww

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/fans/shootout_in_ncaa.html
:) :)

RedRiver
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
My opinion is if Saul can find the right JUCO player that can come in and contribute next season, that would be the best way to improve the team. I agree that the bench players are starting to contribute more on a consistent basis the past couple of weeks. It would be fantastic to get another player similar to Andre Smith for the next two seasons. A big help in our first year eligible and a big help in the year after the Fab 4 graduates.

I also believe that we need to use the one scholarship on a JUCO player. I don't think the position matters as much as someone who can immediately provide quality minutes and points. A JUCO recruit would be able to provide bench help for next year and then maybe start when the Fab Four graduate.

bisonpride2k
01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I also believe that we need to use the one scholarship on a JUCO player. I don't think the position matters as much as someone who can immediately provide quality minutes and points. A JUCO recruit would be able to provide bench help for next year and then maybe start when the Fab Four graduate.

To me the position does matter. We are solid with starters at the 1, 2, and 3 spots. Tveidt is a nice player but is to light to be a solid #4 and may always be. He has the ability to be a wing player so may fit in nicely at the 3, 4 if we go small which can give us nice scoring off of the bench. We already have Carlson who is supposed to bring a nice scoring punch as well in the 2/3 spot next year. Vaughn has shown improvement as well. If we add an athletic big man similar in style to Dre or the center that CSU had, it opens up the offense alot and provides a defensive presence in the post. We will be losing Zo to graduation as well. That leaves us with Moorman and Susenguth in the post and thats it. If we add one more big man we will have depth of three post players to stay fresh and have plenty of fouls to give if we go up against a team focused around a major post presence. IF we get to the dance we MUST have that additional post player that comes in and is not just a space eater but will at times lead the team in scoring. Those players are out there and with next year being post season eligible it should be easier to convince a juco to come here.

X-Factor
01-08-2008, 06:10 AM
To me the position does matter. We are solid with starters at the 1, 2, and 3 spots. Tveidt is a nice player but is to light to be a solid #4 and may always be. He has the ability to be a wing player so may fit in nicely at the 3, 4 if we go small which can give us nice scoring off of the bench. We already have Carlson who is supposed to bring a nice scoring punch as well in the 2/3 spot next year. Vaughn has shown improvement as well. If we add an athletic big man similar in style to Dre or the center that CSU had, it opens up the offense alot and provides a defensive presence in the post. We will be losing Zo to graduation as well. That leaves us with Moorman and Susenguth in the post and thats it. If we add one more big man we will have depth of three post players to stay fresh and have plenty of fouls to give if we go up against a team focused around a major post presence. IF we get to the dance we MUST have that additional post player that comes in and is not just a space eater but will at times lead the team in scoring. Those players are out there and with next year being post season eligible it should be easier to convince a juco to come here.

Zo is Junior. He 'aint going nowhere. We are returning the entire roster plus Carlson off redshirt and 'hopefully' a JUCO somewhere along the line.

bisonhusker
01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Plus adding Nagle down in Iowa as a true freshman....who may redshirt, but he is having a really good senior season.

ndsubison1
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
If you win your conference tourney you make it. Thought I would keep it simple.