PDA

View Full Version : New UND coach

Mr. Burgundy
01-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Was hiring that guy from "within" the best thing that could have happened to NDSU? I have never even heard of the guy. I am sure he is great....yada yada yada, but in my opinion, you don't hire a coach simple to make sure you don't disrupt a year of recruiting. If they open up that job, they could have received some really solid candidates...instead they get some guy without national ties. If there is one thing that Bohl has had to continually do, that is reload his staff. If you don't have National ties....you are done. We are really lucky to have hired Bohl and to have kept him this long. The timing of Lennon leaving is priceless.

Any thoughts on this guy and how he will fill out his staff? The gap between these two programs continues to widen.

met1990
01-05-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm terribly disappointed UND would hire (who actually did the hiring?) a coach without an awesome mustache. They've really let their standards slide.

TheBisonator
01-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Maybe this should be in "News About Other Schools" or "Smack"...;)

Shawn-O
01-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Was hiring that guy from "within" the best thing that could have happened to NDSU? I have never even heard of the guy. I am sure he is great....yada yada yada, but in my opinion, you don't hire a coach simple to make sure you don't disrupt a year of recruiting. If they open up that job, they could have received some really solid candidates...instead they get some guy without national ties. If there is one thing that Bohl has had to continually do, that is reload his staff. If you don't have National ties....you are done. We are really lucky to have hired Bohl and to have kept him this long. The timing of Lennon leaving is priceless.

Any thoughts on this guy and how he will fill out his staff? The gap between these two programs continues to widen.

And who exactly was going to facilitate the search? UND could afford to go internal. It's the difference between coming off of an 11-2 season, versus say, 2-8. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground in matters concerning UND football. WHAMMY!!

DIBISON
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM

I agree that the gap just got wider. But they were backed into a corner because of no President, no AD, and the recruiting deadline. I like your comment about "national". I'm sure their new coach will do o.k., but when you move up a level, the national ties sure help with hiring assistant coaches, scheduling, and recruiting. Considering that their new coach has spent the last 9 nine years as as assistant at a DII school, their program may have quite a challenge to get to the elite FCS level.

There is quite a difference between being a top 10 program and a ranked team!!

MN_BISON
01-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Shawn-O, do you think Mussman was the best person for the job? Given UND's situation, he probably was in my mind but let's say Bunning was still in as AD, would UND have taken more time to fill the job by looking at people outside the program? Speaking of AD's, do you still think Blais has no interest in the job?

On a side note, I keep reading about the 3-8 season. Yes, things were down that year, no ducking that, but what some seem to forget was everything that could go wrong, went wrong and things snowballed from there. Also, it would be one thing if UND was still in DII, but they are moving up to another level and ones prior success does not mean it will carry over to the next level just by showing up, just ask our friends down at UNC. I really don't think that will happen in Grand Forks, but what the Bison and to some degree the Jacks have done is not the norm. In any event, it has made things intersting the last week or so when there seems to be little other news.

CaBisonFan
01-05-2008, 05:54 AM
And who exactly was going to facilitate the search? UND could afford to go internal. It's the difference between coming off of an 11-2 season, versus say, 2-8. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground in matters concerning UND football. WHAMMY!!

You are in Bison country. Don't expect to read nice things about the new coach. I used to visit siouxsports.com. Never read one nice thing about the Bison. I don't expect to...ever.

Concerning the coach...time will tell...won't it? Who knows?

Most Bison fans weren't sure about the hiring of Craig Bohl. We desperately wanted the program with the 2nd most national championships in the NCAA, at any level, to return to its old form.

Now...we know that we have a quality coach. We also know that he'll leave at some point. If the program is rolling...I would expect the powers at NDSU to consider one of the assistants for the head job...that is...if they believe that a real leader is already in the ranks.

If not...they'll look elsewhere.

The remaining leadership at UND must have felt that they had a quality coach in the ranks. Makes sense...doesn't it?

NDSUstudent
01-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Bottem line it was the safe hire, no cages were rattled and no recruits will be lost.

HerdBot
01-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm terribly disappointed UND would hire (who actually did the hiring?) a coach without an awesome mustache. They've really let their standards slide.

This guy was rumored to be the next coach. http://images.art.com/images/-/Tom-Selleck---Magnum-PI--C10102602.jpeg

Mr. Burgundy
01-05-2008, 04:04 PM
5 years ago....we were 2-8. Then, we hired a coach with National ties, who has brought in great class after great class, and continually brought in assistant coaches that keep us in the "discussion" for a national title. Not sure why that is smack talk....just the truth. Yeah, we sucked. We sucked bad when Babich left....Anyone can tell you that. You don't have to be a UND fan to know that a 2 win season isn't acceptable.

My point was that if they would have their ducks in a row, and people to conduct the search, they could have went out and got a top notch assistant from a major program that maybe wanted to be a head coach....which is why this is about NDSU...and not "News about other schools." I feel that this hire helps NDSU as we aren't going against a young stud coach that kids have seen on ESPN or something. It is a step backward for UND....that is my opinion...but I guess according to Shawn I don't know anything. Which is fine.

I think both schools enter/entered into the transition period with alot of questions. UND has better players, and had a better D2 record than we did....but the coaching staff that took the teams through the transition isn't comparable.

My opinions.

Hambone
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
5 years ago....we were 2-8. Then, we hired a coach with National ties, who has brought in great class after great class, and continually brought in assistant coaches that keep us in the "discussion" for a national title. Not sure why that is smack talk....just the truth. Yeah, we sucked. We sucked bad when Babich left....Anyone can tell you that. You don't have to be a UND fan to know that a 2 win season isn't acceptable.

My point was that if they would have their ducks in a row, and people to conduct the search, they could have went out and got a top notch assistant from a major program that maybe wanted to be a head coach....which is why this is about NDSU...and not "News about other schools." I feel that this hire helps NDSU as we aren't going against a young stud coach that kids have seen on ESPN or something. It is a step backward for UND....that is my opinion...but I guess according to Shawn I don't know anything. Which is fine.

I think both schools enter/entered into the transition period with alot of questions. UND has better players, and had a better D2 record than we did....but the coaching staff that took the teams through the transition isn't comparable.

My opinions.

It is your opinion, but we won't know whether the coaching staff is comparable that is taking the teams through the transition is over. Maybe Mussman will bring in stud class after stud class. We won't know until it's over, so you may be a little premature stating that the coaching staffs aren't comparable.

Bisonguy
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Wasn't Mussman a finalist for at least a couple DII HC jobs??

Mr. Burgundy
01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree. Just because someone has coached at a higher level doesn't make them a great coach, but based on experience alone, I would have chosen the Coach Bohl staff over the Mussman staff. but, I do agree with what was just stated. It takes time to evaluate coaches and recruiting classes.

Shawn-O
01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Say they opened it up nationally. Many of you would be ridiculing UND for doing so without a President and AD. What was right for NDSU in 2003 is not necessarily what is right for UND in 2008. As a matter of fact, I'd be interested in how many of the "shoulda opened it national, need D-I background" people were pro-Bradley back in the day. That would smack of hyprocrisy, no?

56BISON73
01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Say they opened it up nationally. Many of you would be ridiculing UND for doing so without a President and AD. What was right for NDSU in 2003 is not necessarily what is right for UND in 2008. As a matter of fact, I'd be interested in how many of the "shoulda opened it national, need D-I background" people were pro-Bradley back in the day. That would smack of hyprocrisy, no?

Lest we also not forget when the great Bohl speculation exodus-replacement was on the front burners many were championing to hire within. Even though the names being thrown in the hat had no D1 Experience. :D PL

Bison"FANatic"
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Mussman may be the right hire and when bohl leaves maybe a assistant would be the right hire but if you don't look to see what is out there how can you know what you did not get or even have a chance to get. Last I heard was there was only one applicant but that was earlier in the week and not from a credible source. I was flipping and saw the interview between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the sioux hockey game last week and it seemed it was a foregone conclusion that the job was Mussmanns (sp.).

Hiring from a very small pool of people is not right for UND, NDSU, SDSU, Fl St, OHIO, MN or anybody for that matter. Not a attack on the Sioux but I hope we see who is all available when we need to hire a coach. Someone could come in and apply and interview and blow the socks off the search committee. They could have taken a extra week and really pushed the interviewing process and then known they got the best available in the USA now they just hope they got the best assistant available at UND.

WYOBISONMAN
01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Mussman is not at all a bad choice for UND. I would assume that a lot of the success that UND has had under Lennon was a result of Mussman and his offense.

The one thing UND needs to do in up the FB coaches salary, otherwise they will be a revolving door....

And.....I do remember many of us wondering why Bradley was not given the NDSU job.......me included........:hide:

Bisonguy
01-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Mussman may be the right hire and when bohl leaves maybe a assistant would be the right hire but if you don't look to see what is out there how can you know what you did not get or even have a chance to get. Last I heard was there was only one applicant but that was earlier in the week and not from a credible source. I was flipping and saw the interview between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the sioux hockey game last week and it seemed it was a foregone conclusion that the job was Mussmanns (sp.).

Hiring from a very small pool of people is not right for UND, NDSU, SDSU, Fl St, OHIO, MN or anybody for that matter. Not a attack on the Sioux but I hope we see who is all available when we need to hire a coach. Someone could come in and apply and interview and blow the socks off the search committee. They could have taken a extra week and really pushed the interviewing process and then known they got the best available in the USA now they just hope they got the best assistant available at UND.

If they opened it up externally, I believe the position would have to be open for an additional 3-4 weeks due to ND law. Pretty long time down the final stretch of recruiting.

56BISON73
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM

There were a few big time schools that only had their eye on ONE guy. They knew who was out their but it didnt matter. To those schools they got who they wanted without second thoughts. PL

NDSU1980
01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
While Mussman obviously isn't a bad choice, I think UND had no other alternative but to hire him. They are already searching to fill every other position on campus. At least this one doesn't have an "interim" tag attached.

Since Mussman was rumored to be hot after the Mankato(?) job, one has to question his loyalty to und, but that goes with all coaches now days.

To sum up, I'd not the best man for the job, but the best available at the time.

Bison06
01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm not convinced they are entering the transition with better players. After our 2-8 season we went 8-3 the very next year I believe with the same players. The players weren't the problem, it was the lack of experience. I would wager there has never been a Div II team that has played that many true freshman in a year. Off the top of my head we had 8 of them, all due to injuries of the guys that would have been starters or backups. That was why we had such a horrible season, not the lack of talent.

UTH
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
While Mussman obviously isn't a bad choice, I think UND had no other alternative but to hire him. They are already searching to fill every other position on campus. At least this one doesn't have an "interim" tag attached.

Since Mussman was rumored to be hot after the Mankato(?) job, one has to question his loyalty to und, but that goes with all coaches now days.

To sum up, I'd not the best man for the job, but the best available at the time.

Since when has it been preferable to hire from within, instead of advertising to everyone and trying to attract the best talent available? If what you say is true, they don't even know if their new coach is himself committed to their program. This is a downward spiral that they should look to curtail as soon as possible, if they know what's best for them.

If I were advising these people, I would tell them to just cut their losses and drop their plans of grandeur. Go back to DII and be happy with what they know they can do. The set of events that they're putting themselves through just aren't turning out very well. If they continue with their current course of action, this situation is very unlikely to improve.

This begs the question - how much farther do they have to fall before they can comfortably say that things can only get better?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/RockBottomyoullknowitwhenyougetther.jpg

*i'm not sure if they'll ever know when they've gotten there

UTH
01-06-2008, 02:17 AM
But - but - but what about Casey Bradley at NDSU? Bison fans, by and large, really think that highly of him. I know I do. If Coach Bohl ever leaves, Bradley goes right back to the top of the list for me - and for many others as well, I'm sure.

*it's not the same, says i

extremerouge
01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
If I were advising these people, I would tell them to just cut their losses and drop their plans of grandeur. Go back to DII and be happy with what they know they can do. The set of events that they're putting themselves through just aren't turning out very well. If they continue with their current course of action, this situation is very unlikely to improve.

Is returning to DII easy to do? Would that ever be something ANYONE would consider?

(serious questions...I'm not trying to be a jackass.)

NDSUstudent
01-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Is returning to DII easy to do? Would that ever be something ANYONE would consider?

(serious questions...I'm not trying to be a jackass.)

It's happend a few times but for a school like UND it would be a death blow, they'd never do it. Even if they were UNC bad or worse.

extremerouge
01-06-2008, 02:44 AM
It's happend a few times but for a school like UND it would be a death blow, they'd never do it. Even if they were UNC bad or worse.
when does a school have to decide whether to return to DII or not?

Bison"FANatic"
01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
There were a few big time schools that only had their eye on ONE guy. They knew who was out their but it didnt matter. To those schools they got who they wanted without second thoughts. PL

I see your point but UND, NDSU, SIU, UNI are not big time. They may have there eye on only one coach but they are also looking other places. Its a tough time to be looking for a coach but you have to have good enough communication with the recruits to let them know you are getting the right person in the USA not the right person at UND.

With all of the crazy interims going on up at UND they might have thought it was the only choice but I would have opened it up even if it had been for 4 weeks. Just my .02

UTH
01-06-2008, 02:55 AM

Trying not to smack too much here.* This thread is about a hockey school. People on that campus don't even know if the football season is actually on, unless the Dakota Stupid reminds them in a big, sensational story, of course. Moving back down might be traumatic news for a week or two, but so long as hockey season is on, it wouldn't be an important issue for much longer than that, methinks.

They're like the sheep in Animal Farm, so long as whoever is on the TV is wearing hockey pads.

*had to say that - don't really mean it

56BISON73
01-06-2008, 03:11 AM
I see your point but UND, NDSU, SIU, UNI are not big time. They may have there eye on only one coach but they are also looking other places. Its a tough time to be looking for a coach but you have to have good enough communication with the recruits to let them know you are getting the right person in the USA not the right person at UND.

With all of the crazy interims going on up at UND they might have thought it was the only choice but I would have opened it up even if it had been for 4 weeks. Just my .02

It doesnt make any difference if they are big time or not. The point is they already had their guy hence the internal search/only person who applied for said position.
But Iam sure that the recent situation plus timing forced there hand to some degree. My hope is they made the hire looking at the future and its not a short term solution. The players qnd fans deserve better than that. PL

Bison101
01-06-2008, 03:18 AM
I have a confession to make.

Prior to when the new coach was announced, I had never heard of the guy.:D (Sarcasm)

Bison"FANatic"
01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
I'll agree to disagree with you we both have two valid opposite points. I just wonder how they know "their" guy was the best guy when you don't look around to even see what is out there. I guess I would look long term and go after the best in the USA and not the best at UND. Just they way I would run it right or wrong its the way I would go at it.

56BISON73
01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
I'll agree to disagree with you we both have two valid opposite points. I just wonder how they know "their" guy was the best guy when you don't look around to even see what is out there. I guess I would look long term and go after the best in the USA and not the best at UND. Just they way I would run it right or wrong its the way I would go at it.

I do understand your point as I would do the same. PL

NDSU1980
01-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Since when has it been preferable to hire from within, instead of advertising to everyone and trying to attract the best talent available? If what you say is true, they don't even know if their new coach is himself committed to their program. This is a downward spiral that they should look to curtail as soon as possible, if they know what's best for them.

This begs the question - how much farther do they have to fall before they can comfortably say that things can only get better?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/RockBottomyoullknowitwhenyougetther.jpg

*i'm not sure if they'll ever know when they've gotten there

I certainly don't disagree with what you said. Watching the soap opera continue in GF is certainly entertaining, to say the least.

dmksioux
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I like to see all the Bison fans criticizing the UND administration for not conducting a national search for our head coaching position. Remind me how NDSU got their current men's basketball coach again and how big of a national search they conducted...

Mr. Burgundy
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
If you'd like to compare the resume of Coach Mussman vs Saul....we can do that. Saul was brought in from a top 10 program in that nation.....as we all knew Miles wasn't going to be here forever. Also, we had options....timing was different, we had the choice to go National or hire Saul from within. We had went through the transition with Miles, not a rookie coach. Again, I am biased....UND fans have made it very clear that the program/school is in excellent hands, so we just have to believe you. Best of luck, it isn't easy. We had alot of things go our way.....without your help.

Bison bison
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
(the players wanted saul..............)

dmksioux
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
If you'd like to compare the resume of Coach Mussman vs Saul....we can do that. Saul was brought in from a top 10 program in that nation.....as we all knew Miles wasn't going to be here forever. Also, we had options....timing was different, we had the choice to go National or hire Saul from within. We had went through the transition with Miles, not a rookie coach. Again, I am biased....UND fans have made it very clear that the program/school is in excellent hands, so we just have to believe you. Best of luck, it isn't easy. We had alot of things go our way.....without your help.

Maybe he's the right guy...maybe he isn't. I just thought it was hypocritical of the bison fans to be questioning a hire from within when their men's basketball program did the same thing. Saul has had experience at Wisconsin and a few other programs...but he's still a rookie head coach.

It looks as though the Sioux players also wanted Mussman to be the guy...
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=62796

NDFAN2
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I wish UND the best of luck with their new football coach. I always respected coach Lennen basically due to his speaking abilities. He knew how to end a sentence and begin another one. The new coach'ssound clip on KFGO this AM didn't impress me, as he kept saying, "and, and, and, and" inbetween thoughts and never really did end a sentence. I'm sure he'll get this fixed with experience.

THEsocalledfan
01-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe he's the right guy...maybe he isn't. I just thought it was hypocritical of the bison fans to be questioning a hire from within when their men's basketball program did the same thing. Saul has had experience at Wisconsin and a few other programs...but he's still a rookie head coach.

It looks as though the Sioux players also wanted Mussman to be the guy...
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=62796

I have to agree with dmktruck on this one. Timing was a big problem for the Trucks on this one and Shawn-O has been correct that is hard to hire nationally without an AD and President. I, for one, think the Trucks did the best they can.

Good luck to the Trucks. I hope we meet in a couple of years.

bisonmike2
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I like to see all the Bison fans criticizing the UND administration for not conducting a national search for our head coaching position. Remind me how NDSU got their current men's basketball coach again and how big of a national search they conducted...

That's fair but Gene Taylor had a clue that Miles wasn't going to be here forever. His flirtation with the job in Carolina kinda prepped him to start a list for his successor the year before he left for Colorado. Now I'm not close to UND at all but I got a feeling that the fans, athletes, and the remaining administration were a little shocked when Lennon took off for SIU. Lennon was one of your own and he was supposed to lead UND through the transition period. The only choice they really had was to hire from within quickly to stabilize the program. For what it's worth I think they did the right thing given the circumstances.

Bison"FANatic"
01-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Yup Saul was a hire from within. I think he was a good hire but I still feel you need to look at all options. I don't care if you are NDSU or UND. I am very happy with Saul but I still feel a college needs to look at all the options.

dmksioux
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Yup Saul was a hire from within. I think he was a good hire but I still feel you need to look at all options. I don't care if you are NDSU or UND. I am very happy with Saul but I still feel a college needs to look at all the options.

There were many Sioux fans who thought the same thing when Hakstol took over the hockey program. Depending on who you ask...that seems to be working out fairly well.

I would like to think we could have brought in a better candidate than Mussman, but he has played a big role in the success UND has seen on the field the past 9+ years. I think he at least deserves a thought, espicially with the timing of it.

Bison"FANatic"
01-07-2008, 08:54 PM
There were many Sioux fans who thought the same thing when Hakstol took over the hockey program. Depending on who you ask...that seems to be working out fairly well.

I would like to think we could have brought in a better candidate than Mussman, but he has played a big role in the success UND has seen on the field the past 9+ years. I think he at least deserves a thought, espicially with the timing of it.

I totally agree he does deserve a thought but to just have it handed to him without much of a search is not how I would do it. I would want the best man for the job (It may be Mussman) not just the best man available in a program. I'm no AD though. Hopefully it works out fine for you.

Bison bison
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Hiring Mussman was an absolute no brainer.

I'm actually quite surprised that UND didn't find a way to screw it up......

Mr. Burgundy
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
It appears UND is all pumped up that none of their recruits have left since the Lennon left home. I saw they just signed the Wisco player of the year, a running back. Looks solid. He is the only player than looks impressive to me....but he was only looked at by UND, USD and Illinois State...so I guess that must mean something. High school stats don't turn into college stats.

Shawn-O
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
It appears UND is all pumped up that none of their recruits have left since the Lennon left home. I saw they just signed the Wisco player of the year, a running back. Looks solid. He is the only player than looks impressive to me....but he was only looked at by UND, USD and Illinois State...so I guess that must mean something. High school stats don't turn into college stats.

He intends on majoring in business?

IowaBisonToo
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
He intends on majoring in business?

What's your point? There are a lot of business schools out there. Let's see, should we buy this company or that company? Let's flip a coin.:blush:

Bison Dan
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
What's your point? There are a lot of business schools out there. Let's see, should we buy this company or that company? Let's flip a coin.:blush:

The point is with only und, usd and Ill state looking at him he's a marginal DI player at best.

SirHinn
01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
The point is with only und, usd and Ill state looking at him he's a marginal DI player at best.

So what were Kyle Steffes, Steve Walker, or even a Ramon Humber then?

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Steve Nelson started out at Gustavus Adolphus.
Not all good players are recruited or seen. Unless somebody gives the school a heads up on a kid he could be easily passed over.
But if NDSU was looking at him would that some how give him more credibility??? PL

56BISON73
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
So what were Kyle Steffes, Steve Walker, or even a Ramon Humber then?

They could have been projected marginal D1 players who developed into good D1 players. PL

Bison bison
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
that precisely what they were

Shawn-O
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM
None of this means jack until the W's and L's are tallied up.

Bisonguy
01-12-2008, 03:13 PM
that precisely what they were

Hope you're not using the past tense on Humber, he still has a year of eligibility left. :nod:

Bison bison
01-18-2008, 01:19 AM
?

the expectation was based on the athletes coming out of high school right????

Bisonguy
01-18-2008, 02:30 AM
?

the expectation was based on the athletes coming out of high school right????

Yeah. :hide: