PDA

View Full Version : A New Focus for the New Year

CaBisonFan
01-04-2008, 06:15 AM
With a full Gateway schedule and the possibility of making the playoffs, the focus for 2008 has to be making each game equally important. Sure...when we play SDSU, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and maybe one or two other schools...it will feel bigger. But the focus 'has to' become winning the Gateway and making the playoffs. We have a great nucleus of players coming back that are capable of winning the conference in NDSU's first year as a member. That...to me...should be the goal. We no longer have to feel like losing one game will ruin the season...such as the SDSU loss at the end of 2007. It doesn't have to be the end. I really believe that having a playoff caliber team, with a road-warrior schedule, put unbelievable pressure on the players and coaches. The only real goal worth setting was to go undefeated and to rank on the top. It was abnormal. The emotional tank went empty.

It's been written here on bisonville that we can't win rivalry games. Here's my take on it. If we just concentrate on playing great football...to heck with the concept of rivalries. We'll have at least 3 or 4 major games in the Gateway each year, of equal importance. The Bison have done some amazing things in the past two or three years. We beat an old rival of major significance at Montana about 5 years ago. And no matter what Minnesota fans think, we beat the rival state to the east with about half the scholies available for the game. That was a Big Ten team...with the advantage of playing in their house on their terms. (remember the band thing?) We're doing just fine with rivalries. Cal Poly became a rival. UC Davis is a rival with a history of playoff games that are a part of Bison lore. Rivalries are not a problem at NDSU.

I see the wisdom in having played Minnesota the past two years. It gave everyone something big to look forward to...but in my opinion...it also set us up for a 'fall' at Cal Poly & SDSU. We were never the same after the Minnesota game. We've discussed the injuries and the possible effect that they had, but that's over and done with.

If we were to schedule a game against a major FBS team, I would hope that it would be either the first or second game of the season...preferably the second. As we saw with App. State, they won a huge game at Michigan...then had a dropoff (partially due to injuries)...and were able to pull it back together for the end of the regular season and the playoffs.

It will be great to have some depth in the defensive backfield again...and to have some talented new blood in the offensive backfield...but I'm hoping for a big improvement in the defensive line. Nothing against last year's D-Line. They did an outstanding job considering the lack of experience, etc. But I think that if we are to be serious contenders, that's where the Bison need 2 or 3 guys to step forward as dominant players.

We've beaten Minnesota. Should have done it twice. We gained 585 yards in the '07 game...which is more than Minnesota gained in the two years combined. I would call that dominance. Regardless of how Minnesota fans want to spin those two games about the quality of their team...we dismantled a Big Ten team at their house two years in a row. As I recall, the Gophers went to a bowl game in 2006.

Now...let's move on to the next goal. Every Gateway game will be huge. It's been a long time since Bison fans will have been treated to such excellence on both sides of the ball. You'd have to go quite a ways back into NCC history to find so many solid teams. This is what will sustain and build the program. As long as the fans stay excited and do their part financially...the Bison will be a strong contender in the Gateway every year. There doesn't need to be years for rebuilding...just reloading...as in the old days.

Mertens won't have to be outstanding...or carry the team. He just has to play smart. I believe that he's a winner. And the guys around him will make the offense formidable. No matter how Mertens does early in the season, we have to stay with him. Whether it's him, Parsons, or whoever...Bison football is about 'team.' Bison championship teams weren't carried solely by a quarterback. Oh yeah...Bentrim & Simdorn were great...but the cast around them also made them look great too. We have that now.

This is truly the new 'one game at a time' era...and a great time to be a Bison fan. The puzzle is complete...thanks to the leadership at North Dakota State. I trust that they will schedule games that make sense in terms of putting the players in the best position to reach the new goals.

First...it's the Gateway. Win the Gateway. Beat UNI. Beat Youngstown. Beat Southern Illinois. Beat South Dakota State. Beat them all. Then...as in the past...we get season #2, where anything can happen.

We have been given the gift of having a very, very solid DI program in Fargo. It could compete with most of the FBS schools on AGS. But let's keep our eye on the ball.

Before we know it...spring football will be upon us.

Here's a question: Where do you think that the Bison need to improve the most? And where are our strengths?

Happy New Year to all of my Bison friends...and thanks for letting this fan from the land of fruits and nuts be a part of the board. It gives me a piece of home...and it has also taught me about how genuinely nice North Dakota 'State' people are. From the outside looking in...the view is very good. I wouldn't trade the Bison for a lot of programs down this way. (I live about one hour east of LA in the country...a small town of 150,000 people. Hemet, CA is the town.) If any of you ever need help with any travel plans down this way...where to go...where to stay...etc...send me a PM. I've learned some of the ropes. There's a beach motel to die for in San Clemente, if you like that sort of thing. Skip the theme parks if you can help it. I'm comin' up in February to see my mom at the rest home in Mayville.

HerdBot
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Great post! You should post that on your blog. It won't irritate the media folks like the last one did! :)

Bison"FANatic"
01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Great points Cabison!!!!!!!

Here are the are my two concerns.

The first one is replacing the members of the offensive line that are gone. Safe was a great tackle and it allowed Walker to not have to worry about his man getting past him. I feel the left tackle position is very important when you have a right handed passer. QB's don't have eyes in the back of their head and have to have a lot of faith in whoever is playin LT.

The second is also the defensive line. We did a lot of bending but not breaking last year a few different plays and drives could have been sustained by our opponents. I hope the D can come together and be even better than they were last year.

Our goal has to be to win the conference. It would be great to do it undefeated but I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that last year was the first year that the gateway had been won by a undefeated team. You usually get a dent in your armor in that conference. It is just that good!!!

fargocyclone
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Our goal has to be to win the conference. It would be great to do it undefeated but I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that last year was the first year that the gateway had been won by a undefeated team. You usually get a dent in your armor in that conference. It is just that good!!!

I think it's been done 8 times, but still, it's very difficult to do!

Here's the link: http://www.mvc.org/football/standings.pdf?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600

Bison"FANatic"
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I guess what I read somewhere was that the team had not went undefeated for the whole season not just in conference. There has not been a team besides this years Panthers that have gone undefeated throught the reg season as every record has at least 2 losses listed after them and 1 would be in the playoffs unless they won the whole thing. Thanks for clarifying it cyclone!!

fargocyclone
01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
I guess what I read somewhere was that the team had not went undefeated for the whole season not just in conference. There has not been a team besides this years Panthers that have gone undefeated throught the reg season as every record has at least 2 losses listed after them and 1 would be in the playoffs unless they won the whole thing. Thanks for clarifying it cyclone!!

Oh, gotcha. sorry.

BisonNeil
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM

Here are the are my two concerns.

The first one is replacing the members of the offensive line that are gone. Safe was a great tackle and it allowed Walker to not have to worry about his man getting past him. I feel the left tackle position is very important when you have a right handed passer. QB's don't have eyes in the back of their head and have to have a lot of faith in whoever is playin LT.

The second is also the defensive line. We did a lot of bending but not breaking last year a few different plays and drives could have been sustained by our opponents. I hope the D can come together and be even better than they were last year.

My biggest concern is Mertens' health. If he can't quarterback due to injury, we are in serious trouble. As long as he is in the game, I think we will be okay. Therefore, I echo your concerns about LT, but it goes much deeper than that. I hope the coaching staff has their eyes on a JC QB for some additional backup, just as they did this year for the DL.

Mr. Burgundy
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I was really hoping to hear about a QB verbal signing by now....In Bohl we trust.

onbison09
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
My biggest concern is Mertens' health. If he can't quarterback due to injury, we are in serious trouble. As long as he is in the game, I think we will be okay. Therefore, I echo your concerns about LT, but it goes much deeper than that. I hope the coaching staff has their eyes on a JC QB for some additional backup, just as they did this year for the DL.

Mertens is hurt?? What's going on?? :confused:

Jdubs21
01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
whats wrong with parsons as a backup?

bisonmike2
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM

we just need to do what I do in NCAA football. Hand the ball off for 60 times a game. We have the horses to do that if we get into trouble.

aces1180
01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
we just need to do what I do in NCAA football. Hand the ball off for 60 times a game. We have the horses to do that if we get into trouble.

I think NCAA football needs to add the Bison!

OldBison
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Running the ball 60 times will never work. You are obviously saying that TIC?

At least it didn't work in 2007 when the opposing D put 8-9 guys in the box. Of course, our running ability was also hurt by Paschall being injuried, which also demonstrates the inability to only run the ball.

As far as Parsons, I for one am not sure he can pass. However, if the offense was tweaked enough to put him in an offense similar to how WVU runs the spread with White, who also is not much of a passer, Parsons might be okay. But in the classical West Coast that Bohl runs, I don't think Parsons can do the job, IMHO.

CaBisonFan
01-08-2008, 01:11 AM

Yeah...that works for me too.

CaBisonFan
01-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I think NCAA football needs to add the Bison!

EA Sports is a little behind in that area. It sucks.

CaBisonFan
01-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Great post! You should post that on your blog. It won't irritate the media folks like the last one did! :)

Thanks gabe. I just put it there, with a few tweaks.

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 03:53 AM

At least it didn't work in 2007 when the opposing D put 8-9 guys in the box. Of course, our running ability was also hurt by Paschall being injuried, which also demonstrates the inability to only run the ball.

As far as Parsons, I for one am not sure he can pass. However, if the offense was tweaked enough to put him in an offense similar to how WVU runs the spread with White, who also is not much of a passer, Parsons might be okay. But in the classical West Coast that Bohl runs, I don't think Parsons can do the job, IMHO.

I know it wouldn't work but we are going to have a solid running game which will help any QB who lacks experience. I was more drawing attention to my impeccable record as a offensive coordinator in NCAA 2006. Even when the defenses know it's coming they can't stop me.

X-Factor
01-08-2008, 05:58 AM

Parsons already has his own option offense for when he is in at QB. They ran it a few times last fall. Not a lot of downs, but enough to make defenses prepare and recognize it. Either way, Mertens or Parsons at QB, it's going to be a load to try and stop.

bisonhusker
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Sidenote: Parsons spoke at Teammakers during the year with Nick Compton. Both guys were REALLY impressive. It was fun to see them without a helmet on. They will be successful kids. Parsons said he wanted to potentially go into politics after Law School. Very interesting guys.

Jdubs21
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
If we want the bison on NCAA Football 09...email Ea Sports and let them know, im sure if they got enough requests they would atleast consider it..:D

Bob_Holiday
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Depth at QB will be my main concern next season with Mertens starting backed up by Brekke and Parsons. The Gateway conference is a physical bunch and depth will be important.
Tailback will be the deepest position for the Bison with Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe and the young man who is going to make the biggest splash of any newcomer, Mr. McNorton.
Fullback will be a very veteran position with Lee Vandal and Tyler Jangula.
Tight Ends are a deep and talented group with Wurzbacher, Smith, Veldman and Thor "The Thunder God" Brown.
Wide receiver may be the most talented group the Bison have ever had with Schultenover, Heckendorf, Belquist, Williams and a couple of very talented redshirt freshmen, Warren Holloway and Seth Krueger.
The offensive line will be very solid. On the offensive line at right tackle is Keith Buckman who along with center Zach Harrington are potential All-Americans. The other tackle may be Paul Backowski, the transfer. The guards most likely will be Foster and North Dakotan Micheal Arndt. Depth will be from the group of Gerry Ebel, James Septak, Chris Wellenstein and redshirt freshmen Richard Austin, Paul Cornick and Zach Johnson.
On defense probably the weakest link will be at safety, not because Nick Schommer and Mike Belmont aren't talented, but the Bison aren't very deep there. Backups include Chet Lemon and redshirt freshman Dan Eaves.
The depth and quality at corner will be better especially if Richard Bowman can join the group of corners that include Nate Agbetola, John Richardson, Chris Bigby, and Darrius Colvin.
Linebacker will still be the strongest position on defense with returning starters Ramon Humber and Mike Maresh. Candidates for Mike include Tyler Henry and redshirt freshman Eddie Beson. Look out for Beson. At the Will and Stud positions backups include Matt Anderson, who will play much more, and redshirt feshmen Luke Senger and Josh Hazley-Freeman.
Look for an improved defensive line with veteran defensive ends Joe Lardinois and Nick Compton backed up by futue stars redshirt freshman Coulter Boyer and sophomore Jimmy Sharpe. At the tackles will be veterans Matt Gratzek and Mike Fairbairn with Matt Phillips and the JC transfer Richardson in the rotation.
If things fall right, NDSU will be a major force in their first year in the playoffs. Look for them to make a run at the title.

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 03:49 PM
If we want the bison on NCAA Football 09...email Ea Sports and let them know, im sure if they got enough requests they would atleast consider it..:D

We got a couple of things going for us. We are now playoff eligible, we are in an established conference that was in previous versions of the game (at least the xbox version). I'm not fortunate enought to have a PS3 or Xbox 360 yet, and from what I understand they didn't even have FCS teams on those versions. This will be the 3rd intallment of the game on the next-gen systems and every year they add new features and teams. I would expect to see the FCS teams on NCAA 2009 and if they are added we should see NDSU in the game. But look for our home field to be the Idaho Vandals dome (Kibbie Dome?) with NDSU logo's and markings. And that's ok with me as long as they get the damn team in the game. I'm sick of having to use a created team. And Appalachian State might have did all FCS teams a huge favor by beating Michigan and then winning the national championship. It would be awesome if EA decided to add a whole FCS component of the game including playoffs. I doubt we would be that lucky however.