PDA

View Full Version : Bison Offense vs. a 3 - 4 defense?

bisoneer
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey, how did we do last yr. against teams with a 34 defense? Just curious because SUI will be using it as Lennon just got Schweigert to come down and run his D.

IL_Bison
01-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey, how did we do last yr. against teams with a 34 defense? Just curious because SUI will be using it as Lennon just got Schweigert to come down and run his D.

I'm not sure I can intelligently respond but I'll give it a shot.

Lennon's defenses traditionally blitz up the middle quite a bit. Our passing game relies heavily on roll out passes, 3-step drops, and play action, which should neutralize the blitz.

The Lennon/Schweigert defenses absolutely owned us during the Babich years, but it is clear that this coaching staff puts in new wrinkles on offense every week depending on the opponent. That is something that cannot be said for the Babich years.

That said, we are going to have our hands full with several Gateway teams, not just SIU.

onbison09
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
CB & Co. will definitley have to do their best coaching they have ever done this year if we are successful.

aces1180
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure I can intelligently respond but I'll give it a shot.

Lennon's defenses traditionally blitz up the middle quite a bit. Our passing game relies heavily on roll out passes, 3-step drops, and play action, which should neutralize the blitz.

The Lennon/Schweigert defenses absolutely owned us during the Babich years, but it is clear that this coaching staff puts in new wrinkles on offense every week depending on the opponent. That is something that cannot be said for the Babich years.

That said, we are going to have our hands full with several Gateway teams, not just SIU.

I think NDSU's West Coast offense can help deter the blitz of a 3-4, especially with the quick three-step drop. Mix in a extremely strong running attack with a lot of play action and the Bison will be just fine.

CaBisonFan
01-04-2008, 01:40 AM

Has UND hired a new coach yet? I haven't been watching the Forum, so I didn't even know that Lennon got the job at SIU.

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Has UND hired a new coach yet? I haven't been watching the Forum, so I didn't even know that Lennon got the job at SIU.

99% chance they hire Mussman(Sioux OC). There's some minimum amount of time they must keep the position open for internal applicants. Once that's up, Mussman will be announced as head coach.

CaBisonFan
01-04-2008, 01:45 AM
99% chance they hire Mussman. There's some minimum amount of time they must keep the position open for internal applicants. Once that's up, Mussman will be announced as head coach.

What's his background? Assistant?

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 01:50 AM
What's his background? Assistant?

I edited my earlier post just after I posted it, but not quite fast enough. ;)

Mussman has been the Sioux's offensive coordinator for the past seven years. Two years as o-line coach before that(kept the job as OC) and assistant head coach since 2003.

BISON Thunder
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
With due respect to Coach Lennon and Coach Schweigert, they have very little experience playing/coaching against the strength, speed and quickness they will see next year...not only against the Bison. I wish them well (except when they play NDSU), but I think 2008 will be an eye opener for them.

99Bison
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Does anyone remember the answer to the original question... "Re: Bison Offense vs. a 3 - 4 defense?"

My memory says that someone mentioned early in the season that 3 out of the first 4 teams played a 3-4 D.

sambini
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Bring On The Competion .