PDA

View Full Version : Pennick injury

roadwarrior
01-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Austin broke a finger in practice and will be out 3-4 weeks :(

extremerouge
01-03-2008, 03:41 AM
tough break for Pennick...(no pun intended)

TheDoctor
01-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Get well quick Austin! ;)

d3boys
01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
he is having some tough luck with injuries this year, maybe he should medical redshirt and start over next year and gain a year of experience

FarSouth Bison
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Not sure they would give him a medical for a broken finger.

onbison09
01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
What are the requirements for a medical redshirt? Is there a scale for how severe an injury has to be? Anyways, get well Austin.

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 02:07 AM
What are the requirements for a medical redshirt? Is there a scale for how severe an injury has to be? Anyways, get well Austin.

Must be an "incapacitating injury or illness" and "the student-athlete’s inability to compete as a result of that injury or illness" must be certified by a doctor. The decision is made by the conference(Summit League), but I doubt 2-4 weeks for a broken finger would qualify.

ndsubison1
01-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Must be an "incapacitating injury or illness" and "the student-athlete’s inability to compete as a result of that injury or illness" must be certified by a doctor. The decision is made by the conference(Summit League), but I doubt 2-4 weeks for a broken finger would qualify.

I am pretty sure a broken finger does not qualify. Don't you have to miss a certain amount of the season and isn't their a certain amount of games you can play in for medical hardships? Like say he played in more than X games than he cant qualify?

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 02:23 AM
I am pretty sure a broken finger does not qualify. Don't you have to miss a certain amount of the season and isn't their a certain amount of games you can play in for medical hardships? Like say he played in more than X games than he cant qualify?

The injury must occur in the first half of the season and the player must not have competed in more than 2 contests or 20% of the scheduled contests, whichever is greater. They then go on for three or four pages on how to calculate those numbers. I think m-theory and the Riemann hypothesis come into play at some point.

Trim
01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Who makes the decision if you're not in a conference?

roadwarrior
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
It would be an NCAA decision regardless of whether you are in a conference.

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
By my reading, the conference makes the initial decision which can be appealed to the NCAA. When you're not in a conference, you go straight to the NCAA.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet for reasons of “hardship.”

14.2.4.2 Administration of Hardship Waiver. The hardship waiver shall be administered by the member conferences of the Association or, in the case of an independent member institution, by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. An institution may appeal a decision by its conference to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement.

Am I wrong?

The Thunder Rolls
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I got word that Austin's surgery went well this morning. Had 4 pins put in his left pinky finger. Out 4-6 weeks if all goes well. Good opportunity for Josh and Freddie to step up. Hopefully getting people more playing time will be a positive in the longrun.

d3boys
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I got word that Austin's surgery went well this morning. Had 4 pins put in his left pinky finger. Out 4-6 weeks if all goes well. Good opportunity for Josh and Freddie to step up. Hopefully getting people more playing time will be a positive in the longrun.

josh and freddie played awesome against ipfw