PDA

View Full Version : Joel Heitkamp Radio Show 12/28/07

KTF
12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
I was listening to the Joel Heitkamp show on the mighty 790 (don't care for Shawn Hannity) this afternoon. I am not a regular listener so I am not 100% certain of the format but he was taking calls this afternoon about 3-3:30pm. One of the topics that he wanted to discuss was the current status of UND and his perception that Chapman gets what he wants from the Board of Higher Education. He implied that Chapman was the main reason behind chancellor Potter leaving.

My question is this. Is this guy totally off his rocker or has NDSU gotten all the breaks and UND been screwed lately by the board of higher education? (I would guess that Joel is a UND alumni)

The way I see it.

NDSU is building/suceeding with Chapman at the helm.

UND is faultering (too many numerous ways to mention) under lame duck president Kupchella.

UTH
12-29-2007, 02:43 AM
He is an alum from that other college. I've also heard reliable stories about how he was an excited fan of the Official Representatives of the State of North Dakota in Brookings, SD this year.

lakesbison
12-29-2007, 04:22 AM
yet he was PARTYING IT UP at the GOPHER GAME WITH NDSU FANS..

can u say FLIP FLOP??

DIBISON
12-29-2007, 04:54 AM
He bashes NDSU alot, his kids go to the school up north.

BlueBisonRock
12-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Sorry for showing some ignorance (UNDer THUNDAR - please cut some slack ;) )

Is Joel connected to Heidi (a name I remember from my days in Bismarck)?

UTH
12-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry for showing some ignorance (UNDer THUNDAR - please cut some slack ;) )

Is Joel connected to Heidi (a name I remember from my days in Bismarck)?

Brother / Sister. Both democrats. She was attorney general who ran for governor in 2000 I believe. He is a state senator from down by Wahpeton. He has a daily radio show.

TheDoctor
12-29-2007, 04:43 PM
First I want to say Joel is a close personal friend of the family and I respect 99% of what he feels, I don't always agree but I respect. Sometimes when family gets involved, some of the soundest, rational, people get "off their rocker" so to speak. UND is family to Joel and he is apparently grasping at straws here. That train wreck is not our fault in any way and I am offended he would try and blame NDSU. I know money is money and you have to make the "career move", but I honestly can't believe Lennon ditched his "family" when they needed him most. If another University offered me twice the salary to move, I wouldn't go. My family is here, my wifes family is here and NDSU gave me the opportunity I have. Thats just me though. ;)

Bison bison
12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
The idea that NDSU has power over the state board of higher education is utterly ridiculous.

NDSU receives pennies on the dollar for the provision of higher education compared to the school to the north. It has disproportional power compared to the MaSUs in the system.

IF NDSU ever got it's fair share in Bismarck..............................

sambini
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
First I want to say Joel is a close personal friend of the family and I respect 99% of what he feels, I don't always agree but I respect. Sometimes when family gets involved, some of the soundest, rational, people get "off their rocker" so to speak. UND is family to Joel and he is apparently grasping at straws here. That train wreck is not our fault in any way and I am offended he would try and blame NDSU. I know money is money and you have to make the "career move", but I honestly can't believe Lennon ditched his "family" when they needed him most. If another University offered me twice the sallary to move, I wouldn't go. My family is here, my wifes family is here and NDSU gave me the opportunity I have. Thats just me though. ;)
Well said B1SON +++++++++++ And remember he is in radio. And its a ratings game. Anything to stir the pot for ratings+++

BlueBisonRock
12-29-2007, 07:06 PM
First I want to say Joel is a close personal friend of the family and I respect 99% of what he feels, I don't always agree but I respect. Sometimes when family gets involved, some of the soundest, rational, people get "off their rocker" so to speak. UND is family to Joel and he is apparently grasping at straws here. That train wreck is not our fault in any way and I am offended he would try and blame NDSU. I know money is money and you have to make the "career move", but I honestly can't believe Lennon ditched his "family" when they needed him most. If another University offered me twice the sallary to move, I wouldn't go. My family is here, my wifes family is here and NDSU gave me the opportunity I have. Thats just me though. ;)

Friends are the framework of our lives. Family is the foundation. In that same regard, the networks of friends and the deeper roots of family do extend across the state of ND / NW Minnesota and into SD and the rest of MN. Although I did not hear the show, the presentation of Joel's remarks on this board appear like those of one brother blaming another for the first brother's shortcomings. He has a right to make the statements, but also needs to be responsible in making the statements.

Lennon's decision is one that all of us make at least once during our lifetime. This is at least the third time he has made a 'move' decision. I believe his decision has more to do with following a passion than the money. If his decisions were based on $$$, he likely would not be in coaching. It also appears that the leadership void at the University has removed the 'UND family' from the equation. What assurances does he have that the new president and AD will treat him like family? This scenario would play heavily if I were in his shoes.

From experience, I recognize that the real family and the real friends will still be there - even if one does move to pursue ones passion. I suspect this will be the same for Dale.

Mr. Burgundy
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I am also a friend of Joel's, and he is passionate about everything. Alot of fun to discuss things with, but unless you plan on losing the discussion, you will be there forever...because he won't stop. He is a UND guy. PERIOD.

I really wish people on the radio could be objective. Seriously. What a joke. He is wrong on this one. They left the rivalry, I wish all of "their" people would let it go since we did.

Today on the Kolpack/McFeely show...McFeely said that if NDSU was as professional as Lennon was, that we would still be playing against them. WHAT? Nobody is saying anything about Lennon for leaving his school 4 feet deep in crap. They just want to thank him for how great he is....unreal. Dude left you high and dry, you are in the middle of a transition and it is somehow our fault. It gets tiring. We wanted to go to D1 as a package. They said no, we proceeded. They ripped on us in the media (yeah, I saved the articles) and we said fine. Go at it alone, but NEVER ask for our help when you are in your time of need.

We made national headlines in basketball, have played top 10 football for 2 years....and they are without a coach, AD, President, conference, logo, mascot, or janitor. If SDSU was in this problem after trying to go at it respectfully, I would feel different. But, they act all high and mighty all the time, and now people are realizing who made the correct decision.

I hope we beat the CAL BEARS tonight while they look to find out what coordinator they decide promote!!!!!

Thanks. I feel better.

tjbison
12-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I am also a friend of Joel's, and he is passionate about everything. Alot of fun to discuss things with, but unless you plan on losing the discussion, you will be there forever...because he won't stop. He is a UND guy. PERIOD.

I really wish people on the radio could be objective. Seriously. What a joke. He is wrong on this one. They left the rivalry, I wish all of "their" people would let it go since we did.

Today on the Kolpack/McFeely show...McFeely said that if NDSU was as professional as Lennon was, that we would still be playing against them. WHAT? Nobody is saying anything about Lennon for leaving his school 4 feet deep in crap. They just want to thank him for how great he is....unreal. Dude left you high and dry, you are in the middle of a transition and it is somehow our fault. It gets tiring. We wanted to go to D1 as a package. They said no, we proceeded. They ripped on us in the media (yeah, I saved the articles) and we said fine. Go at it alone, but NEVER ask for our help when you are in your time of need.

We made national headlines in basketball, have played top 10 football for 2 years....and they are without a coach, AD, President, conference, logo, mascot, or janitor. If SDSU was in this problem after trying to go at it respectfully, I would feel different. But, they act all high and mighty all the time, and now people are realizing who made the correct decision.

I hope we beat the CAL BEARS tonight while they look to find out what coordinator they decide promote!!!!!

Thanks. I feel better.

Damn even the janitor left??:D

TheDoctor
12-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Thanks. I feel better.

That a boy Burgundy! Your right on with Joel too. At best your going to get an "I see your point" or "You've made your point", but your never going to get him to say "your right!". He is just to passionate about how he feels and his feelings are all backed by fact which in this case the facts are made to look worse than they are and other more imporatant "cut their own throat" facts are being overlooked. I feel better now too! ;)

56BISON73
12-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Thanks. I feel better.

Now everthing I have read coming from the UND side is how everthing was hunky dory up there. How the transition was going along fine and they didnt see any major problems etc. Now that everything has turned to shit its all NDSUs fault?????
Guess they didnt like what they saw when they looked in the mirror. PL

WYOBISONMAN
12-29-2007, 11:48 PM
NDSU has more clout than UND because NDSU has solid leadership and UND has none. There are no special favors being granted to NDSU, that is a foolish statement. NDSU may currently be faring better than UND, but it is due to better leadership at NDSU.

NorthernBison
12-30-2007, 04:00 AM
One thing that never seems to get acknowledged is any sort of understanding of why Gene Taylor and every coach in the NDSU Athletic Department should have legitimate reasons for not wanting to be associated with UND.

Let's face it, the decision by UND to cut off all athletic ties was personal and it was punitive. They clearly wanted to avoid anything that might help NDSU during the transition. They wanted NDSU to struggle.

For any coach and especially for the AD, that is a clear attack on their job. Think about it for a second. If NDSU had a terrible transition, Gene Taylor ends up looking for work elsewhere. He, of all people, should take the actions of UND personally. They attacked him with their "Press Conference" and their thinly veiled media attacks. Screw them Gene. I, for one, have your back. I'm betting a lot of other Bison fans do too.

SUBISON247
12-31-2007, 05:21 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Burgundy;169200]
Today on the Kolpack/McFeely show...McFeely said that if NDSU was as professional as Lennon was, that we would still be playing against them. WHAT? Nobody is saying anything about Lennon for leaving his school 4 feet deep in crap. They just want to thank him for how great he is....unreal. Dude left you high and dry, you are in the middle of a transition and it is somehow our fault. [QUOTE]

Here's how I see it: Lennon didn't leave in the middle he jumped ship before the start. Its like in all the high school movies where a guy takes the ugly chick to the prom out of pity, but then ditches her or the hot chick when asked later on. Just for clairification SIU=hot chick NDSU=Prom Queen UND=Pizza Faced Band Geek

DORMIE
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I think the mistake that Joel is making is that Dr. Chapman does not have to go on his show if he doesn't want to. Just like he will never be on the Ed Schultz show. That's just plain stupid. One of the most important visionaries in the community and you can't get him on the show. He gets what he wants from the SBOHE because he appreciates what they do for his University even though UND had always gotten more per student. As far as Potts, he still can't figure what his problem was. Potts never realized that UND and NDSU were different than the others. Potts wanted them treated all the same even though they bring nothing to North Dakota as far as research $$$$. I was talking to a friend of mine from GF at tne WBB game and he said that they also need a Soccer Coach. Gene wonders if they will drop Baseball. Their coach left and they put a grad assistane in charge. Great day to be a Sioux--NOT

imabison
12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
One thing that never seems to get acknowledged is any sort of understanding of why Gene Taylor and every coach in the NDSU Athletic Department should have legitimate reasons for not wanting to be associated with UND.

Let's face it, the decision by UND to cut off all athletic ties was personal and it was punitive. They clearly wanted to avoid anything that might help NDSU during the transition. They wanted NDSU to struggle.

For any coach and especially for the AD, that is a clear attack on their job. Think about it for a second. If NDSU had a terrible transition, Gene Taylor ends up looking for work elsewhere. He, of all people, should take the actions of UND personally. They attacked him with their "Press Conference" and their thinly veiled media attacks. Screw them Gene. I, for one, have your back. I'm betting a lot of other Bison fans do too.
What Joel fails to mention is that several years ago Gene Taylor, with Miles, and Bohl, on a conference call to Roger Thomas, with Roebuck, and Lennon were HUNG UP on while suggesting that they sign a 2 year agreement to play.

Not willing to listen PERIOD. Joel, needs to get his facts before he spouts his mouth off.

The bad thing is, it will probably come up in the next legislative session and there will be great pressure for the games.

tcbison
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I haven't lived in Fargo since 1999 but are there any media people that are pro Bison? Ed Schultz, Joel Heitkamp, Dan Hammer, Scott Hennen(didn't he announce for the Sioux? maybe I am wrong on this one) are all UND fans.

Maybe we could get Phil Hansen on the radio with his own show or something.

bisonaudit
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I haven't lived in Fargo since 1999 but are there any media people that are pro Bison? Ed Schultz, Joel Heitkamp, Dan Hammer, Scott Hennen(didn't he announce for the Sioux? maybe I am wrong on this one) are all UND fans.

Maybe we could get Phil Hansen on the radio with his own show or something.

If it's true that their personal preferences are coloring their broadcasts in this area then there's the reason that these guys are working in Fargo, ND. They're poor judges of their audience.

Not that there aren't UND fans around of course there are, but the larger chunk of the public, especially in Fargo are NDSU supporters. If they're exhibiting any substantial bias then they're doing their bosses and their shareholders as well as the listeners a disservice by not recognizing a market opportunity on the other side of the spectrum.

Say what you want about Ed but he is a media professional and a keen judge of the market. Some people see that as disloyalty but really his loyalty is exactly where it's supposed to be to the company that's writing his checks.

IowaBisonToo
01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
First I want to say Joel is a close personal friend of the family and I respect 99% of what he feels, I don't always agree but I respect. Sometimes when family gets involved, some of the soundest, rational, people get "off their rocker" so to speak. UND is family to Joel and he is apparently grasping at straws here. That train wreck is not our fault in any way and I am offended he would try and blame NDSU. I know money is money and you have to make the "career move", but I honestly can't believe Lennon ditched his "family" when they needed him most. If another University offered me twice the salary to move, I wouldn't go. My family is here, my wifes family is here and NDSU gave me the opportunity I have. Thats just me though. ;)

It should be interesting next Christmas. My brother-in-law and future sister-in-law are really good friends with the Heitkamp kids at UND. And from what I can tell, with Joel, too -- probably moreso because of their political convictions and affiliations than anything else but so be it. I'm thinking the whole Heitkamp clan is going to be invited to the wedding so I'm looking forward to meeting these people -- in a sick sort of way.:p I think I, along with my other brother-in-law and his two sons, should think of some way to wear NDSU stuff to the wedding. A little tangent but I do that sometimes.

Now per your statement B1SON regarding career moves. It's hard to say how Lennon felt about UND as "family." However, I think most people would take a doubling in salary and move somewhere else even if it meant leaving their family. This doesn't even take into consideration the chance to advance in his career. I personally think that had more to do with his decision than anything else. I think after "turning down" the job at Montana St. (I don't think he was ever going to get that job anyway), he may have seen things weren't going to get better at UND and with the opportunity at SIU staring him in the pocket book and face, he took it. I know if somebody came to me tomorrow and said, we'll double your salary and give you a VP position at our company but you're going to have to move, I'd do it pretty quickly. Anyway that's my $0.02.

Now as far as Joel goes, radio personnel do what they do because that's their job and that's what they get paid for. I wouldn't necessarily blame Heitkamp or Schultz or Hammer or anybody else for the views they express on their shows. I would blame the stations themselves. They hired these guys knowing full well the views and biases they have and they had no quams with it. What needs to happen is the people of Fargo (NDSU fans) need to quit supporting those shows if you don't agree with what they say. See if there is an NDSU alum/fan out there that would be willing to have a show (or actually get picked up by one of the big stations) and express their NDSU bias. When that occurs, they should be supported 110%, showing the stations that having UND fans host shows isn't going to cut it in Fargo. The biggest problem with this, though, is that these guys were probably hired for their non-UND views and that's what most people want to hear. They put up with the Sioux spew because they like the other stuff. Again, just my thoughts.