PDA

View Full Version : Competive in the Big Ten?

HerdBot
12-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Would the Bison or other Gateway teams be competitive in the Big Ten? I posted the topic on my blog http://www.areavoices.com/bisonnation/ This should be an interesting topic. Please use reasoning if you think i'm insane for saying this.

99Bison
12-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Would the Bison or other Gateway teams be competitive in the Big Ten? I posted the topic on my blog http://www.areavoices.com/bisonnation/ This should be an interesting topic. Please use reasoning if you think i'm insane for saying this.

Comparison shopping sure appears to support you. Especially with your added depth caveat.

SlickVic
12-27-2007, 07:12 AM
you are a joke...from what i heard purdue should have beat cmu by at least 2 or 3 tds tonight...ndsu beat minny chea that gopher team this year probably the worse team the big tens put out since the norwestern teams that lost 30 some strait...i def think ndsu would have won the big 12 north or been competitive in the pac 10 but big 10 wise 9th or 10th at best...look at the big10 bowl matchups this year and get back to me...they have by far the toughest bowl game opponentns of any other conference not to mention "home feild advantage"....penn state plays texas a &m in san antonio (texas)...michigan plays florida in the state of florida....illinois plays u of southern CALIFORNIA in passadena CALIFORNIA...ohio state plays lsu in new orleans (louisiana)...and then purdue playing a bs bowl game in the state michigan against cmu...not to mention michigan state drawing boston college i mean what is that the 6th best team in the big 10 vs the 2nd best team in the acc???none the less i still expect the big 10 teams to show that they are the class of college football conferences even in a "down year"

ndsubison1
12-27-2007, 07:52 AM
you are a joke...from what i heard purdue should have beat cmu by at least 2 or 3 tds tonight...ndsu beat minny chea that gopher team this year probably the worse team the big tens put out since the norwestern teams that lost 30 some strait...i def think ndsu would have won the big 12 north or been competitive in the pac 10 but big 10 wise 9th or 10th at best...look at the big10 bowl matchups this year and get back to me...they have by far the toughest bowl game opponentns of any other conference not to mention "home feild advantage"....penn state plays texas a &m in san antonio (texas)...michigan plays florida in the state of florida....illinois plays u of southern CALIFORNIA in passadena CALIFORNIA...ohio state plays lsu in new orleans (louisiana)...and then purdue playing a bs bowl game in the state michigan against cmu...not to mention michigan state drawing boston college i mean what is that the 6th best team in the big 10 vs the 2nd best team in the acc???none the less i still expect the big 10 teams to show that they are the class of college football conferences even in a "down year"

9th or 10th in the Big Ten but winning the Big XII North and competitive in the Pac 10? Pac 10 is the 2nd best conference and way ahead of the Big 10.

TheBisonator
12-27-2007, 08:13 AM

PUT AWAY THE THOMPSON'S WATER SEAL. Howzabout pouring yourself a glass of Windsor Canadian instead??

roadwarrior
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
PUT AWAY THE THOMPSON'S WATER SEAL. Howzabout pouring yourself a glass of Windsor Canadian instead??

I'm not sure what he's drinking!

aces1180
12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
No way...The Bison would not be competitive in any BCS conference...25-30 years from now, who knows?

TransAmBison
12-27-2007, 04:03 PM
No way...The Bison would not be competitive in any BCS conference...25-30 years from now, who knows?
Aces, you just lost your chance to be a Bison Superfan! Who could pick against "Da Bison?"

I say lump all the Big Ten schools together to make one super school and have them play the Bison. Who would win? Da Bison!

TransAmBison
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh wait, I forgot the crucial ingredient. The Big Ten superteam must be coached by Brewster.

TheDoctor
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Lets see...we beat conference champs CMU badly this year and also beat contender Ball St last year. I think we could compete in the MAC.

HerdBot
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM

What is your reasoning? I think we would win the MAC right now and all the comparitive scores back it up. We could be competitive in the Big Ten against the weaker teams and could occasionally beat an Iowa or Purdue. The comparative numbers back it up. Remember if we were in the conference we would get HOME GAMES.

Bison are 2-0 vs MAC schools and blew out the MAC Champion
Gophers went 1-2 vs lesser MAC schools (should have gone 0-3)
CMU almost beat Purdue in a Bowl Game. (both teams had plenty of time to prepare)
Iowa loses to Iowa State. Iowa State lost to Northern Iowa of the Gateway.
I've got a thousand examples I'm not posting too.

You can connect every team in the Big Ten to the Bison in a postive way except for Ohio State who would stomp us. The same holds true with Southerrn Illinois and Northern Iowa.

Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State all have some sort of connection to the Bison. Try and find scores that back up your theory.

Try and disprove it.

I think we would be extremely competitive right now in the Big Ten but only early in the season. Once injuries take their toll our depth would be no match against a big ten team. In other words, Appy State can pull the upset vs Michigan in week 2 but after 10 games I doubt it.

bisonmike2
12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I'lll wait to see if we'll be competitive in the gateway before saying we'll win any BCS conferences. It's one thing to beat a MAC school when you view it as a big game and they view it as someone they have to pay to bring in. It's a completely different thing to compete week in and week out in a Big 10 or any BCS conference schedule.

You know I feel like I've been down on the Bison for the past couple weeks. I might be losing some of my NDSU homerism. OK, NDSU would win any BCS conference and it would be close! They should be playing LSU for the national championship!

There that feels better.

SlickVic
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
What is your reasoning? I think we would win the MAC right now and all the comparitive scores back it up. We could be competitive in the Big Ten against the weaker teams and could occasionally beat an Iowa or Purdue. The comparative numbers back it up. Remember if we were in the conference we would get HOME GAMES.

CMU almost beat Purdue in a Bowl Game. (both teams had plenty of time to prepare)

You can connect every team in the Big Ten to the Bison in a postive way except for Ohio State who would stomp us. The same holds true with Southerrn Illinois and Northern Iowa.

Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State all have some sort of connection to the Bison. Try and find scores that back up your theory.

Try and disprove it.

I think we would be extremely competitive right now in the Big Ten but only early in the season. Once injuries take their toll our depth would be no match against a big ten team. In other words, Appy State can pull the upset vs Michigan in week 2 but after 10 games I doubt it.

you are a fool...enough said...peace...PL.

jackrabbit1979
12-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Lets see...we beat conference champs CMU badly this year and also beat contender Ball St last year. I think we could compete in the MAC.

The MAC isn't a BCS conference...

IL_Bison
12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
With all due respect...

aces1180
12-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Try and disprove it.

My reasoning? How about funding? What about the size of our university? The Big 10 schools AVERAGE at least 30K student per school...We just don't have the resources...Its a pretty straight forward concept.

In addition, NDSU just can't join for football only...The Big 10 is an all-sport league...You think our basketball teams have the depth to compete too? Nope.

aces1180
12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Aces, you just lost your chance to be a Bison Superfan! Who could pick against "Da Bison?"

I say lump all the Big Ten schools together to make one super school and have them play the Bison. Who would win? Da Bison!

Ah, bullcrap! ;)...I forget, Da Bison of 2007 would only lose to Da 1988 Bison.

Bohl vs. the 1985 Bears...I say Bohl by 45!

NDSUstudent
12-27-2007, 05:49 PM
What about Bohl vs a Hurricane?...............Hold on, Hold on, Hold on. The name of the Hurricane is Hurricane Bohl.

TheDoctor
12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Ah, bullcrap! ;)...I forget, Da Bison of 2007 would only lose to Da 1988 Bison.

Bohl vs. the 1985 Bears...I say Bohl by 45!

Ditka would have them better prepared than that! ;)

SirHinn
12-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Try and disprove it.

Part of the problem is your basing your argument on a couple of games. You also try and tie those couple of scores versus the connection against the big time teams. When the Bison are like 13-0 against MAC teams and like 5-0 against BCS conference teams, then perhaps you may have an argument. Scores can't really make an argument otherwise you could make the argument based on that that a team like App State could be a top 2 team in the Big Ten which is just plain silly. It's one thing to beat a big time team, it's quite another to be able to do it on a regular basis.

WYOBISONMAN
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
The Bison will win an occasional Big Ten game, but as far as being competative day in and day out....not a chance.

99Bison
12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Back to the original point of question...
"I'm convinced that with some added depth, the Bison and the best teams in the Gateway Conference would be competitive in the Big Ten on a regular basis. Maybe middle of the pack or higher. "

What exactly is this supposed to mean...?
-Does this mean the in question GW Conference teams go fully funded FBS and get on a level playing field for scholarships in some random conference?
-Does this mean throw them in the Big Ten with full FBS scholarships?
-Does this mean as they are now make them play a Big Ten schedule?

Or somewhere inbetween...

CaBisonFan
12-27-2007, 07:23 PM

It would go in cycles...where we would be competitive when recruiting is strong. We'd be aiming for a top-five finish and a trip to a toilet bowl when our roster is experienced and talented. The Big 3 or 4 would be nearly impossible to overcome...which has a way of playing havoc with the attitude. We'd be competing with Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana...and Iowa & Wisconsin when they're down. That is...competing to stay out of the bottom 5 or 6.

I don't like the Big 11 at all. I think it's a messed up conference. The programs aren't even close to being on a level playing field...for many reasons. When a program like Ohio State hardly has to travel to recruit and other programs have to scratch for leftovers in the south, there's a problem. Michigan and Penn State are just slightly below OSU in that regard.

OSU, Michigan, and Penn State (and maybe MSU) should form a conference down the eastern corridor. The others should form another type of conference in the less-populated part of the midwest.

.500 would be a big accomplishment from year to year. That's not healthy or fun. The fan base wouldn't like it at all. Almost every win would feel like an upset. Then the next weekend there'd be a letdown.

That's part of Minnesota's problem. They have to scratch and crawl to get to 4th or 5th place in the conference...and a toilet bowl. Screw the history. If I were Minnesota I'd be looking for another conference like the Big 12 North.

No thanks.

56BISON73
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
"I'm convinced that with some added depth, the Bison and the best teams in the Gateway Conference would be competitive in the Big Ten on a regular basis. Maybe middle of the pack or higher. "

-Does this mean the in question GW Conference teams go fully funded FBS and get on a level playing field for scholarships in some random conference?

Good points!!!!. But the fact is if you play in the Big Ten you are going to recruit and get different playes than we are getting now. The Scholly numbers change , the fans base and recruiting base changes etc. In that regards I think we could be competive to a certain degree.
But to take our current situation and play a Big Ten schedule EVERY week???? NO I dont. I think we could pluck a few wins here and there but not on a consistent basis. PL

CaBisonFan
12-27-2007, 07:33 PM

I think that a little tact would work better.

The Big 3 is a highly over-rated conference. Ohio State is going to get pumped again. Many of the Big 3's teams that are in bowl games are there because of their soft non-conference schedules and because they won a few games in a soft conference. That's the joke. So you win your non-conference games...that makes 4. Then you beat two or three of the weaker Big 3 teams...tada. You're in a toilet bowl. Wow. And you get invited to a particular bowl because your fans travel well. It's about money.

gabe isn't a joke. So you don't agree with his idea. So what? Maybe his idea is a joke...but not gabe. At least he has the guts to stick his neck out and to post his ideas as a 'thread.' He doesn't just sit back and take aim when he feels like it.

That's no joke.

UTH
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM

The Big 3 is a highly over-rated conference. Ohio State is going to get pumped again. Many of the Big 3's teams that are in bowl games are there because of their soft non-conference schedules and because they won a few games in a soft conference. That's the joke. So you win your non-conference games...that makes 4. Then you beat two or three of the weaker Big 3 teams...tada. You're in a toilet bowl. Wow. And you get invited to a particular bowl because your fans travel well. It's about money.

gabe isn't a joke. So you don't agree with his idea. So what? Maybe his idea is a joke...but not gabe. At least he has the guts to stick his neck out and to post his ideas as a 'thread.' He doesn't just sit back and take aim when he feels like it.

That's no joke.

My nomination for Post of the Day.

fargocyclone
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
you are a joke...i def think ndsu would have won the big 12 north...

Won the Big XII North??

Not unless Missouri joined the South for a season!

Scooter1
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
No, they wouldn't be cometitive in the Big ten, or Pac 10. We all know this is for fun and not serious. So......If the Bison were to move up and play in the BCS there would be a greater chance of McDonalds coming out with a shit sandwhich than the Bison ever winning the Big Ten or PacTen. Forget about a BCS title.... Never going to happen.

99Bison
12-27-2007, 08:28 PM

That's no joke.

+++++++++!

SlickVic
12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
im so sick of the big ten bashing that takes place on bisonville...when was the last time any of you fools whatched a pac 10 footbal game??? their pretty much no where to be found on tv...the big 12 north is a complete joke and the bowl games will expose the pac 10 as a fruad oh wait they get in cup cake bowl games year in and year out...honestly how pumped are you fools to see arizona state play texas tonight? texas has been pathetic since vince young left and arizona state is far from dominant yet they are the 2nd best team in the pathetic pac ten...big ten = 2 bcs bowl bids and the best damn team in the land...not to mention penn state wisconsin and michigan...i just dont see how you fools can call the big ten conference anything but dominant in football

Rabbitlivinginverm
12-27-2007, 09:12 PM
The Bison didn't even win the Great West this year...not sure how that relates to being competitive in the Big 10 or winning the MAC???

SlickVic
12-27-2007, 09:19 PM

That's no joke.

you wanna talk about the big ten being the "big 3" what would you say the pac ten is? one is the lonleyest number would be a perfect theme song for the pathetic pac 10...usc and thats it...what are you talking about the big 10 being the "big 3" if im not mistaken they've sent 5 different teams to bcs bowl games in recent memory its pretty hard to justify the big ten as being anything but balanced...should be 6 bcs bowl teams in recent years wisconsin would have been bcs bowl bound last year if it wasnt for the 2 team limit...soft schedules?? ohio state played texas home and home...they get usc home and home next year...michigan plays notre dame every year plus oregon back to back...penn states played notre dame nebraska and boston college out of conference the last couple years...illinois played missouri this year...pretty hard to justify any of those schools non conference schedules as soft id like to see you try tho because you'd just prove my point...wouldnt bet on me reading your response tho CA'..ive read about enough novels for 2007 ;)

ndsubison1
12-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Try and disprove it.

so, according to the transitive property we would beat these Big Ten teams on a year to year basis? Nice...

onbison09
12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
We would probably be competitive in the MAC. (not win every game but be close in a lot of em) And Slic I don't know why you're bashing the PAC 10 they are probably the 2nd best conference in the land. (behind SEC) The Big 10 is probably behind the Big 12. Sure they have Ohio St., Michigan, and Wisconsin but who else? And don't call someone a fool just because you don't agree with them...pretty classless in my book.

ndsubison1
12-27-2007, 09:33 PM
im so sick of the big ten bashing that takes place on bisonville...when was the last time any of you fools whatched a pac 10 footbal game??? their pretty much no where to be found on tv...the big 12 north is a complete joke and the bowl games will expose the pac 10 as a fruad oh wait they get in cup cake bowl games year in and year out...honestly how pumped are you fools to see arizona state play texas tonight? texas has been pathetic since vince young left and arizona state is far from dominant yet they are the 2nd best team in the pathetic pac ten...big ten = 2 bcs bowl bids and the best damn team in the land...not to mention penn state wisconsin and michigan...i just dont see how you fools can call the big ten conference anything but dominant in football

Pac 10 games are on ABC and FSN. In my opinion the Pac 10 is the 2nd best conference. USC is one of thee top teams again, Oregon may be the best if Dennis Dixon doesn't get injured, Cal isn't a great right now but they knocked off a very good Oregon team at the time. ASU can compete with the top teams. Arizona isn't bad. Washington isn't bad, nearly knocked off Ohio St. Oregon St., good team as well.

Pac 10 is deeper than the Big 10 all the Big 10 has is Ohio St., Illinois, Michigan, and Penn St. And Mich and PSU aren't even that great. I would take USC over any of these teams right now and Oregon if Dixon wasn't injured.

SlickVic
12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Pac 10 games are on ABC and FSN. In my opinion the Pac 10 is the 2nd best conference. USC is one of thee top teams again, Oregon may be the best if Dennis Dixon doesn't get injured, Cal isn't a great right now but they knocked off a very good Oregon team at the time. ASU can compete with the top teams. Arizona isn't bad. Washington isn't bad, nearly knocked off Ohio St. Oregon St., good team as well.

Pac 10 is deeper than the Big 10 all the Big 10 has is Ohio St., Illinois, Michigan, and Penn St. And Mich and PSU aren't even that great. I would take USC over any of these teams right now and Oregon if Dixon wasn't injured.

chea arizona ant bad been tryin to peep there bowl game havnt heard to much about it so they must be playin on new years day...yeah washingtons not bad forgot what bowl game there playin in but they played ohio state so close that it wouldnt surprise me if they snuck into a bcs bowl...who has usc beat is what id like to know...im well aware who beat them but im tryin to think if they even have a quality win? im sorry but saying youd take a usc team that lost 2 games over any of the teams in the big ten let alone a usc team that was beat by STANFORD at home??? now thats just plain silly talk right there ;)

BlueBisonRock
12-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Ditka would have them better prepared than that! ;)

I agree. It would only be by 24. ;)

HerdBot
12-28-2007, 03:55 AM
My reasoning? How about funding? What about the size of our university? The Big 10 schools AVERAGE at least 30K student per school...We just don't have the resources...Its a pretty straight forward concept.

In addition, NDSU just can't join for football only...The Big 10 is an all-sport league...You think our basketball teams have the depth to compete too? Nope.

That's all you can give me is funding? We're competitive right now. I said "with additional scholorships" we could be competitve. I need more for you to convince me otherwise. :)

56BISON73
12-28-2007, 04:13 AM
That's all you can give me is funding? We're competitive right now. I said "with additional scholorships" we could be competitve. I need more for you to convince me otherwise. :)

Funding is what drives the machine. Without it------
IMO winning one game doesnt make a program CONSISTANTLY competitive at a higher level.

But back to the just of your last post.

""I said "with additional scholorships" we could be competitve.""

We would be like water---we would seek our own level. Every conference has those teams that do ok, sneak a winning record here and there. Then you have the teams that consistantly have winning records and win championships. Do I think we could be competitive with the OSU and Michigans??? To be truthful. My heart wants to say yes but my brain says no. But maybe in 15-20 years of playing catchup who knows. PL

ndsubison1
12-28-2007, 06:48 AM
chea arizona ant bad been tryin to peep there bowl game havnt heard to much about it so they must be playin on new years day...yeah washingtons not bad forgot what bowl game there playin in but they played ohio state so close that it wouldnt surprise me if they snuck into a bcs bowl...who has usc beat is what id like to know...im well aware who beat them but im tryin to think if they even have a quality win? im sorry but saying youd take a usc team that lost 2 games over any of the teams in the big ten let alone a usc team that was beat by STANFORD at home??? now thats just plain silly talk right there ;)

Put USC in the Big Ten, they finish undefeated in the conference. They will beat Illinois.

TheDoctor
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Hmmmm.....How did Arizona St. do last night???? :D ;)

TheDoctor
12-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree. It would only be by 24. ;)

NOW your starting to give my Bears some of the love they deserve! ;)

Bison101
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM

I really doubt that we could play Ohio State, Michigan (the App. St. thing was a fluke). or even Penn St. for that matter. I believe that victories over Goophers, Hawkeyes, and Cyclones are possible, but that wouldn't make us competitive, would it?

I agree with others. The MAC is nice.

But I'm content with the Gateway. For now...

HerdBot
12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
It would go in cycles...where we would be competitive when recruiting is strong. We'd be aiming for a top-five finish and a trip to a toilet bowl when our roster is experienced and talented. The Big 3 or 4 would be nearly impossible to overcome...which has a way of playing havoc with the attitude. We'd be competing with Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana...and Iowa & Wisconsin when they're down. That is...competing to stay out of the bottom 5 or 6.

I don't like the Big 11 at all. I think it's a messed up conference. The programs aren't even close to being on a level playing field...for many reasons. When a program like Ohio State hardly has to travel to recruit and other programs have to scratch for leftovers in the south, there's a problem. Michigan and Penn State are just slightly below OSU in that regard.

OSU, Michigan, and Penn State (and maybe MSU) should form a conference down the eastern corridor. The others should form another type of conference in the less-populated part of the midwest.

.500 would be a big accomplishment from year to year. That's not healthy or fun. The fan base wouldn't like it at all. Almost every win would feel like an upset. Then the next weekend there'd be a letdown.

That's part of Minnesota's problem. They have to scratch and crawl to get to 4th or 5th place in the conference...and a toilet bowl. Screw the history. If I were Minnesota I'd be looking for another conference like the Big 12 North.

No thanks.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I consider .500 being competitive. It would be tough but we could do it with extra scholorships and home games.

HerdBot
12-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Good points!!!!. But the fact is if you play in the Big Ten you are going to recruit and get different playes than we are getting now. The Scholly numbers change , the fans base and recruiting base changes etc. In that regards I think we could be competive to a certain degree.
But to take our current situation and play a Big Ten schedule EVERY week???? NO I dont. I think we could pluck a few wins here and there but not on a consistent basis. PL

Right now we would be competitive and squeak out a few wins early in the season but we don't have the depth to compete torward the end of the year. With some addes schollies... yes even moreso. Competitive to a degree is a good way of putting it. We definately wouldn't beat Michigan.

HerdBot
12-29-2007, 01:32 AM

Added depth would be more scholorships.

sambini
12-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Are guys can play because they listen to what our coaches tell them. They get after it.