PDA

View Full Version : Forum/WDAY TV/RADIO is slanted

HerdBot
12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
There is an anti bison sentiment with the Forum/970/WDAY TV right now. Everything seems to have some sort of negative overtone. I don't know why but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Bison are now working with Channel 4 and 11. It seems like they are trying to hinder recruitinig or drive the coach out of town. Am I wrong? Maybe it has something to do with Miles not giving Kolpack or McFeely the inside scoop when he left.

Notice how the top story today is UND recruiting students? Hmmm....

Example: -The Forum and Channel 6 make coach Bohl Northern Illinois job "rumors" top news right in the middle of recruiting. It was written an displayed with the urgency that everyone thought he was gone. It was all garbage.

WHen Taylor stomped the rumors, it wasn't headline news. And they said on Channel 6 that we shuold be hearing rumors all winter long. (even though all the jobs are essentially filled)

Today there is an article about coaching salaries and it says Taylor wants to make coach Bohl one of the top 3 paid coached in the FCS. They fail to point out the fact that it's the D1-A schools that pose the biggest threat... not the D1-AA schools.They make it sound like NDSU is all elite and throwing away money when in reality they are competing with the bottom D1-A schools. Then they put a webpoll out that says "Should Bohl be among the 3 highest paid FCS coaches?" He's losing because it's a biased question. In reality, Bohl is the 2nd worst paid D1-A coach and those are the teams we have to worry about.

I can site a dozen examples but I don't want to waste my time.

lakesbison
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
stick to FOX. LOCAL & PROBISON all the time.

aces1180
12-17-2007, 03:24 PM
There is an anti bison sentiment with the Forum/970/WDAY TV right now. Everything seems to have some sort of negative overtone. I don't know why but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Bison are now working with Channel 4 and 11. It seems like they are trying to hinder recruitinig or drive the coach out of town. Am I wrong? Maybe it has something to do with Miles not giving Kolpack or McFeely the inside scoop when he left.

Example: -The Forum and Channel 6 make coach Bohl Northern Illinois job "rumors" top news right in the middle of recruiting. It was written an displayed with the urgency that everyone thought he was gone. It was all garbage.

WHen Taylor stomped the rumors, it wasn't headline news. And they said on Channel 6 that we shuold be hearing rumors all winter long. (even though all the jobs are essentially filled)

Today there is an article about coaching salaries and it says Taylor wants to make coach Bohl one of the top 3 paid coached in the FCS. They fail to point out the fact that it's the D1-A schools that pose the biggest threat... not the D1-AA schools.They make it sound like NDSU is all elite and throwing away money when in reality they are competing with the bottom D1-A schools. Then they put a webpoll out that says "Should Bohl be among the 3 highest paid FCS coaches?" He's losing because it's a biased question. In reality, Bohl is the 2nd worst paid D1-A coach and those are the teams we have to worry about.

No way...I think Forum Communications does a great job...They report the news and with the exception of opinion pieces (which are a vital part of journalism), they are 100% objective.

What's wrong with asking their audience to think?

HerdBot
12-17-2007, 03:30 PM
No way...I think Forum Communications does a great job...They report the news and with the exception of opinion pieces (which are a vital part of journalism), they are 100% objective.

How are they asking an audience to think when they only report the D1AA salaries and none of the D1-A salaries? There are making us do the homework. Isn't that their job? I think the article misses all the key points and it is influencing the web poll. THey make it sound like NDSU is wasting money.

Maybe your right... seems like everthing over the last month has been negative and they keep talking about Bohl.

aces1180
12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
How are they asking an audience to think when they only report the D1AA salaries and none of the D1-A salaries? There are making us do the homework. Isn't that their job? I think the article misses all the key points and it is influencing the web poll. THey make it sound like NDSU is wasting money.

Maybe your right... seems like everthing over the last month has been negative and they keep talking about Bohl.

The point of the article is to compare FCS salaries, which its does well...Comparing FCS to FBS is like comparing apples to oranges...Notice it doesn't mention the salaries of DII schools.

Just because it may appear negative doesn't mean they should spin it appear positive...That is not the job of a media outlet.

lakesbison
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
hmmm... THINK folks. Radio, who DOESNT work for WDAY. BUT works for CLEAR CHANNEL...

hmmmm and NO its not ED SCHULTZ..

aces1180
12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
hmmm... THINK folks. Radio, who DOESNT work for WDAY. BUT works for CLEAR CHANNEL...

hmmmm and NO its not ED SCHULTZ..

I know of whom you speak.

bisonmike2
12-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Well let's see. Mcfooly has always loved to bash NDSU for almost anything. And now that NDSU is past it's reclassification period I would imagine that we might see a shift of reporting to UND's struggle. Let's face it. It's going to be more business as usual at NDSU and UND is just gearing up for it's journey. Add all the soap opera crap that happens there and it's not easy to see why they may be getting a little more buzz then normal nowadays. Plus you have to factor in that NDSU tv games are no longer on their channel. All of it might contribute why we are seeing UND a little more.

HerdBot
12-18-2007, 01:58 AM
The point of the article is to compare FCS salaries, which its does well...Comparing FCS to FBS is like comparing apples to oranges...Notice it doesn't mention the salaries of DII schools.

Just because it may appear negative doesn't mean they should spin it appear positive...That is not the job of a media outlet.

We all know that there is no threat of losing Bohl to a D1AA school. It's the smaller D1-A teams of the world we need to be worried about and competitive with. That means being competitve with the MAC schools. We all know the reason we are giving Bohl a raise is so we don't lose him to a MAC schools so I find that info more important.

aces1180
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
We all know that there is no threat of losing Bohl to a D1AA school. It's the smaller D1-A teams of the world we need to be worried about and competitive with. That means being competitve with the MAC schools. We all know the reason we are giving Bohl a raise is so we don't lose him to a MAC schools so I find that info more important.

My point being that its not the job of the media to try and protect NDSU from losing Bohl to another school...That's the athletic department's issue.

Bison bison
12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I think that Forum Communications does an awesome job of covering NDSU.

Name another DI school of similar stature as NDSU in a market like FM that gets the coverage the Bison do.

Tatanka
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
What you're seeing is the direct result of the Forum's purchase of the GF Herald. They pick up the Herald's homer articles for free and on a slow news day, they fill up their own fish wrap with (essentially) filler material.

I thought the articles on UND's quest for students smacked of desperation. The homer angle I was expecting. Once you see the tagline "From the Grand Forks Herald", you know you're in for a healthy dosage of propoganda from teh unifersity.

NDFAN2
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I think the media does just fine in this town and if one particular station or media group doesn't give the Bison as much love as you would like, change the channel. I don't have anything to complain about.

heckler
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
App. State? Youngstown? Montana? I don't know if these teams have more, less, or the same coverage but I would think they would be some what similar.

aces1180
12-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Look at it this way...

There are three television stations (KX4-KVLY, KVRR, WDAY), three radio stations (The Fan, ESPN 1660 and WDAY) and one newspaper with a Sunday circulation of 75K that cover the Bison in the Fargo area.

Compare that to what the Gophers get in the Twin Cities...Four TV stations (KARE, WCCO, KSTP and KMSP), three radio stations (KSTP, WCCO and The Fan) and two newspapers with huge circulations (Pioneer Press and Star Tribune).

Our media coverage is in pretty good shape considering the population of our region compared to that of the Twin Cities.

FarSouth Bison
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
If you think they're slanted now, whats going to happen if the Fan gets the radio rights to the Bison. I hope this never happens, to lose Scott Miller and get Hammer would be a down right shame.

Bison bison
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Hammer would sell out in a minute.

To think he has any allegiance to anything but ratings with respect to his job you'd have to be nuts. not that they're is anything wrong with that.

bisonpride2k
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM

We are not going to lose Bohl to a MAC or SunBelt or any school in a conference like that. It is too much of a lateral move. The schools to worry about are the WAC, Conference USA or higher. He isnt going to go somewhere where he will have to rebuild a smaller conference program. If he isnt successull within a few years he will have no shot at a major head coaching job. It is obvious he is not going to leave here for just any job. As I said somewhere else Coach Bohl is the face of the market here. If he goes to any MAC school he is overshadowed by the HC's at Michigan and Ohio State and Illinois, and.... Central Michigan and the likes are second page news in the grand scheme of things in those markets. Here it is front page and he gets treated and perked in that same manor. At those other schools he wont be and he knows it. A line of success instead of just a 2 year window will land him a major gig, one which we wont have near the money to keep him around and quite frankly we should not be that selfish to not think...good for him, glad we had him while he was here.

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 06:17 AM
If you think they're slanted now, whats going to happen if the Fan gets the radio rights to the Bison. I hope this never happens, to lose Scott Miller and get Hammer would be a down right shame.

I have no connection with any of these outlets but the writing is on the wall... something is going to change.

Wouldn't it be funny if we offered Big Eddie the gig and he took it?! It was brought up on the radio once and he said Bison fans wouldn't forgive him. I would. Did you know Scott Miller used to be the voice of the Sioux?! What's the difference? Hammer is good but I prefer Miller but I like Big Eddie because he's old school. Just no whisky bottles.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2007, 07:59 AM

Notice how the top story today is UND recruiting students? Hmmm....

The Forum is great.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM

The Forum is great.

NDSUguy
12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
That was the most ridiculous post yet... I'm glad that I read it this morning so that I could get a laugh....

So you're telling me that in Lincoln their newspaper never had anything bad to say about former Coach Callahan?

Are you telling me that the paper wasn't ripping Coach Bohl when he was down there???

What you need to understand is that there is a big difference between being objective (which the forum is) and being a homer newspaper that spews nothing short of propaganda (which is what some would like the Forum to be).

Bottom line is this... Newspapers organizations need to sell their papers. The Fargo Forum, just like the newspapers in Lincoln publicize their local team. The good, bad and ugly of their schools. They do this because people in the market want to read about the school that they love.

The Fargo Forum also has an obligation to publish articles on UND, MSUM, Concordia, etc.... They do this because there is a significant percentage of people within their circulation area who CARE about those schools too.

The reason that this doesn't happen in Lincoln has nothing to do with it's "bleeding red". It has to do with the fact that their closest rivalry isn't 70 miles away with a majority of that rivals grads living in Lincoln.

If you want NDSU propaganda, I suggest that you stick to this board and Bison Illustrated (nothing against that publication...it serves its purpose well).

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 02:03 PM
That was the most ridiculous post yet... I'm glad that I read it this morning so that I could get a laugh....

So you're telling me that in Lincoln their newspaper never had anything bad to say about former Coach Callahan?

Are you telling me that the paper wasn't ripping Coach Bohl when he was down there???

What you need to understand is that there is a big difference between being objective (which the forum is) and being a homer newspaper that spews nothing short of propaganda (which is what some would like the Forum to be).

Bottom line is this... Newspapers organizations need to sell their papers. The Fargo Forum, just like the newspapers in Lincoln publicize their local team. The good, bad and ugly of their schools. They do this because people in the market want to read about the school that they love.

The Fargo Forum also has an obligation to publish articles on UND, MSUM, Concordia, etc.... They do this because there is a significant percentage of people within their circulation area who CARE about those schools too.

The reason that this doesn't happen in Lincoln has nothing to do with it's "bleeding red". It has to do with the fact that their closest rivalry isn't 70 miles away with a majority of that rivals grads living in Lincoln.

If you want NDSU propaganda, I suggest that you stick to this board and Bison Illustrated (nothing against that publication...it serves its purpose well).

Newspapers are obiligated to cover stories/teams based on interest.... NOT financial partnerships. The Bison are top dogs and they get the deserved coverage by everyone. Especially the Forum and channel 6.

As a fan of the Bison, I don't care about MSU, UND, NDSCS, or Jamestown sports and I don't know or work with any fans of the other schools. I live in Fargo - the largest city in the state. NDSU Divison 1 sports are the most popular bar none and they should always be the lead story. The other teams should be covered but much less.

With that being said, sports should always be in order Bison (football, bball), Sioux (hockey), Dragons, Cobbers, Sioux BB, Jamestown, NDSCS. VIkings should be lead on Sundays. Twins on non Bison days. RIght now they are fair but will that change?

I'll be interested to see how the Forum responds if NDSU ends up moving their radio because they don't have the greatest track record. Stories that benefit The Forum, WDAY TV, 970 Radio, I29.net internet, and Kaye's printing always make their way to the top of the news when in reality it should be bottom.

I agree other teams need to be covered but when the Dragons are lead story (with a home crowd of 300) we all chuckle a little, right? I'm not looking for homer rah rah journalism but I expect to be informed about the Bison. Right n ow they do a good job but I see signs it's changing.

With that same logic, the Grand Forks Herald should give the Bison football team coverage. They should go 1) sioux hockey 2) Sioux football/bball 3) bison football. You never see anything about the Bison in the Herald.

bisonmike2
12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
It could be worse. We could be SDSU. The states largest university is 50 miles from the states largest market and it's a special treat when they get some TV/newspaper/radio attention. It's been getting better with arrival of T-Van @ the Argus but they still are far behind NDSU in terms of media coverage.

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
It could be worse. We could be SDSU. The states largest university is 50 miles from the states largest market and it's a special treat when they get some TV/newspaper/radio attention. It's been getting better with arrival of T-Van @ the Argus but they still are far behind NDSU in terms of media coverage.

SDSU isn't in the top 10 for attendance. SDSU hasn't won 8 football championships alone and 20 overall. The Bison have been building a fan base for 50 years and have earned the right to be the top dog in ND. THe Jacks have been somewhat pitiful for a really long time so it's going to take some time to win over the local fans. Sounds harsh but it's true. Up until recently, they have not been commited to excellence. I like what I see and they are headed in the right direction. Rome wasn't built overnight. We're still building after all these years.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
The Forum and WDAY are media outlets that are expected to deliver an honest and unbiased story. The Forum does a great job of that as does WDAY. The coverage during the football season was excellent. I alays enjoy reading the Forum and watching the clips on WDAY.

Forum Communications is not the "official propoganda machine" or NDSU. If anything at NDSU deserves outing, I would hope to read it in the Forum!

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
The Forum and WDAY are media outlets that are expected to deliver an honest and unbiased story. The Forum does a great job of that as does WDAY. The coverage during the football season was excellent. I alays enjoy reading the Forum and watching the clips on WDAY.

Forum Communications is not the "official propoganda machine" or NDSU. If anything at NDSU deserves outing, I would hope to read it in the Forum!

It's great but could be better. Getting back to the original point of the thread... I see little signs that it's changing and I think it's for the wrong reasons. (money radio tv deals)

NDSUguy
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
It's great but could be better. Getting back to the original point of the thread... I see little signs that it's changing and I think it's for the wrong reasons. (money radio tv deals)

Signs of changing? I don't see these "signs". I don't think that articles that criticize NDSU in any way constitute changing to be against NDSU or Bison athletics.

Back to what I wrote earlier. Forum Communications wants to sell newspapers. There has never or will ever be a totem pole of what they should report first to last. The Forum does a great job and I don't believe that any financial situation will change how NDSU is covered. Its in the best interest of the newspaper to write about what the readers care about. As long as NDSU is the top dog in Fargo, there will be adequate coverage coming from the Forum.

Regarding the Herald.... There are VERY FEW NDSU grads who live in the Herald distribution area... They have no obligation to NDSU because there readers don't generally cheer for the Herd.

bisonmike2
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Let's face it. For most of us too much media coverage will never be enough. We could have a 24 hour sports channel deciated to everything NDSU and we would still find a way to complain about it. We are better off then what we were in the past and it's getting better. Plus we have a media relations (I know that's not his real title and his name escapes me) whose only job is to find and negotiate ways to get NDSU on TV and radio. And look what he's been able to do for football. 4 home games on TV with one on FSN and an extended radio nextwork that reaches more areas than ever before. That's great and he's only been on the job for about a year. We need to be more patient with this. NDSU isn't going to launch a satellite anytime soon to broadcast the Bison Sports Net across the globe.

roadwarrior
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Plus we have a media relations (I know that's not his real title and his name escapes me) whose only job is to find and negotiate ways to get NDSU on TV and radio. And look what he's been able to do for football. 4 home games on TV with one on FSN and an extended radio nextwork that reaches more areas than ever before. That's great and he's only been on the job for about a year.

Jeremy Jorgenson was only on the job for a couple of months prior to the start of football season.

roadwarrior
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't see any slant from forum communications any different than in the past. In fact they added the pullout "football game day" section for all home Bison games this year.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Let's face it. For most of us too much media coverage will never be enough. We could have a 24 hour sports channel deciated to everything NDSU and we would still find a way to complain about it. We are better off then what we were in the past and it's getting better.

Nice point Mike. And Reps! One of the key reasons that I initially came to this forum was for information on the Bison as the medial outlets I have available carried no game day to game day information. I also follow the Forum most days to keep the connection to Fargo. The Forum does deliver.

Now, our peers in Bismarck have a different environment. I lived there for most of the 80's and was constantly starved for any good Bison information. I would guess their current editorial policy has evolved from the Sports Editor from that timeframe. If there is any group that has a right to question the quality and quantity of local media coverage, it would be the Bismarck Bison.

aces1180
12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Aces....have you ever been to Lincoln, Nebraska to read their papers or watch the TV shows?

The Nebraska media bleeds red. It's a rare day to 'not' read a major article about something relating to Husker sports. They understand that their audience is a rabid Division I readership that wants to know about what's going on.

There is no way that they would even mention a neighboring university and their recruiting.

The FM media is just barely knowledgable enough to be dangerous. They have little knowledge, little interest, and suspicious motivation.

Selling papers isn't the only reason for the existence of a newspaper. I can read People magazine or a taboid by going to the grocery store.

To read about the Bison, I buy Bison Illustrated or look for articles from other cities where the Bison are playing. We get a much better spin from outside media sources.

That's really sad.

On TV news nationally...there are still a few real news shows...and the rest are 'yellling' shows. The Forum is like the yelling shows...without the yelling. It's nothing.

The local TV stations are really, really weak. They look and act like college trainees on part-time salaries. Could just as well be in black and white. Boring, boring stuff.

They fit the conservatism of UND. boring

No, I haven't been to Lincoln nor do I care to go there unless the Bison play the Huskers.

You say that the media in Nebraska understands their audience is a rabid Division I fanbase, which may be true. However, Fargo isn't quite there yet. Let's face facts, unfortunately, it will be a while.

CA - Let me ask you this question - Besides being a Bison fan, what is your background relating to the media? I'll tell you mine...I have a B.A and M.A. in Mass Communication focusing in P.R. and print journalism. Not only would I consider myself well schooled in both aspects, but I practice both of them for a living. There are so many mass media concepts that I could explain here, but I don't feel like writing my thesis again.

Have you ever looked at a newspaper closely? I typically daily consists of about 60-65% advertising and 35-40% editorial content (editorial meaning unpaid). The main purpose of a newspaper is to make money. Plain and simple. And 95% of the revenue comes from advertisers who look at one important piece of data - circulation. This is not based on the number of papers sold, this is based on pass around rate...How many people will read a newspaper on a daily basis. The same goes for ratings and their impact on local news.

This is a basic concept in Mass Media 101.

I respect your opinion and those of others on this board, but trust me, there is a big difference between what people perceive and what is reality.

aces1180
12-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Newspapers are obiligated to cover stories/teams based on interest.... NOT financial partnerships. The Bison are top dogs and they get the deserved coverage by everyone. Especially the Forum and channel 6.

As a fan of the Bison, I don't care about MSU, UND, NDSCS, or Jamestown sports and I don't know or work with any fans of the other schools. I live in Fargo - the largest city in the state. NDSU Divison 1 sports are the most popular bar none and they should always be the lead story. The other teams should be covered but much less.

With that being said, sports should always be in order Bison (football, bball), Sioux (hockey), Dragons, Cobbers, Sioux BB, Jamestown, NDSCS. VIkings should be lead on Sundays. Twins on non Bison days. RIght now they are fair but will that change?

I'll be interested to see how the Forum responds if NDSU ends up moving their radio because they don't have the greatest track record. Stories that benefit The Forum, WDAY TV, 970 Radio, I29.net internet, and Kaye's printing always make their way to the top of the news when in reality it should be bottom.

I agree other teams need to be covered but when the Dragons are lead story (with a home crowd of 300) we all chuckle a little, right? I'm not looking for homer rah rah journalism but I expect to be informed about the Bison. Right n ow they do a good job but I see signs it's changing.

With that same logic, the Grand Forks Herald should give the Bison football team coverage. They should go 1) sioux hockey 2) Sioux football/bball 3) bison football. You never see anything about the Bison in the Herald.

Newspapers are not obligated to a dang thing...I respect your opinion, but you are way off base here.

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Newspapers are not obligated to a dang thing...I respect your opinion, but you are way off base here.

So your telling me they need to be objective but they don't need to report what the masses want to read about and have the right to do wahtever they want to do to sell papers? I'm confused.

That's like he Forum making the Tampa Bay Bucs the top story and ignoring the Vikings. They are obligated to cover the VIkes.

aces1180
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
So your telling me they need to be objective but they don't need to report what the masses want to read about and have the right to do wahtever they want to do to sell papers? I'm confused.

That's like he Forum making the Tampa Bay Bucs the top story and ignoring the Vikings.

Being objective is what gives a newspaper a good reputation, which in turn adds readership, which leads to higher circulation numbers...These numbers determine ad rates and profits for the company.

Take a look at their mission statement....

http://www.forumcomm.com/mission/

If their news mix lacks Bison coverage, the market will show that.

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Being objective is what gives a newspaper a good reputation, which in turn adds readership, which leads to higher circulation numbers...These numbers determine ad rates and profits for the company.

Is that really the case or are they just paying lip service? I'm probably being a little harsh on the Forum. I really am. They have done a great job reporting on NDSU and I will never be satisfied. I'm just concerned about the recent negativity and I wonder if it has anything to do with the media going in house. I think I bring up some fair questions to ask about the Forum and like you said, they are the kind of questions that make people think.

aces1180
12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Is that really the case or are they just paying lip service? I'm probably being a little harsh on the Forum. I really am. They have done a great job reporting on NDSU and I will never be satisfied. I'm just concerned about the recent negativity and I wonder if it has anything to do with the media going in house. I think I bring up some fair questions to ask about the Forum and like you said, they are the kind of questions that make people think.

I agree with you there...Nothing wrong with making people think. ;) It's just a matter of perception I guess. I don't think the media is at all negative...Just because something happens that makes our school look bad (Entzion), doesn't mean the media should sweep it under the rug. I would be appalled if the media didn't tell the story.

We can't compare ourselves to Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa yet...We just are not at their levels and are a years away...However, for the size of the Fargo-Moorhead area, we are pretty lucky to have all the media attention we get. In the last five years, the coverage has expanded greatly...With more success, I expect to happen again.

Ferd
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Every media outlet has it's own inherent biases.

As sentient beings it is our responsibility to recognize the bias and attach appropriate significance to their statements.

:) :hide:

56BISON73
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM

That's like he Forum making the Tampa Bay Bucs the top story and ignoring the Vikings. They are obligated to cover the VIkes.

Have to disagree. They are a business. They are not obligated to cover anything if so so choose. They cover what will help them sell newspapers. PL

HerdBot
12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I agree with you there...Nothing wrong with making people think. ;) It's just a matter of perception I guess. I don't think the media is at all negative...Just because something happens that makes our school look (Entzion), doesn't mean the media should sweep it under the rug. I would be appalled if the media didn't tell the story.

We can't compare ourselves to Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa yet...We just are not at their levels and are a years away...However, for the size of the Fargo-Moorhead area, we are pretty lucky to have all the media attention we get. In the last five years, the coverage has expanded greatly...With more success, I expect to happen again.

I also think Fargo-Moorhead is lucky to have a team as big as NDSU. I can't think of many other teams around here that average 18,000 per game and have won 8 Championships.

I think we need to work on the rest of the media and let them know we want more Bison coverage. Even though we're in the internet age, the best way to get the attention of someone is to contact them and request something.

I added a media section to the http://bisonnation.homestead.com website with links to every newspaper, radio station, and tv station in the state. It's cool becase if you click it, it goes right to the"contact us" page and we can quickly send them an email.

I even put a link that goes right to the FSN request form. I filled out requesting more Bison!

I know it's easy to look this stuff up but we all know where to look now.

aces1180
12-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I also think Fargo-Moorhead is lucky to have a team as big as NDSU. I can't think of many other teams around here that average 18,000 per game and have won 8 Championships.

I think we need to work on the rest of the media and let them know we want more Bison coverage. Even though we're in the internet age, the best way to get the attention of someone is to contact them and request something.

I added a media section to the http://bisonnation.homestead.com website with links to every newspaper, radio station, and tv station in the state. It's cool becase if you click it, it goes right to the"contact us" page and we can quickly send them an email.

I even put a link that goes right to the FSN request form. I filled out requesting more Bison!

I know it's easy to look this stuff up but we all know where to look now.

I think you have a good point...Tell them what you want...That's the best way to get their attention.

NDSU1980
12-20-2007, 02:41 AM
I honestly think the Forum could do a better job of promoting NDSU. I don't understand why they bother with stories from schools in other cities, except to print the scores. If I wanted to follow UND, I'd subscribe to the Herald. I don't care if they do own the Herald, they don't need to shove UND down our throats. I would have no problem with McFeely being a homer for MSUM, but I don't think he needs to do the NDSU bashing that he does.

Really, the biggest problem is the Wm Marcil married the newspaper when he met his wife while attending UND.

tony
12-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Right now that seems to be two things that interest Bison fans: Speculating wildly coach Bohl leaving -and- Starting innumerable threads connected to UND. So who can blame Forum Communications for covering what interests Bison fans?

roadwarrior
12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Right now that seems to be two things that interest Bison fans: Speculating wildly coach Bohl leaving -and- Starting innumerable threads connected to UND. So who can blame Forum Communications for covering what interests Bison fans?

Tony, you are right on the money!

tcbison
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
If it wasn't for the Forum online it would be tough for us that don't live in Fargo to get our Bison news. I read the Forum online every morning.

BisBison
12-20-2007, 01:03 PM
If it wasn't for the Forum online it would be tough for us that don't live in Fargo to get our Bison news. I read the Forum online every morning.

as do I, and I don't see the anti Bison slant being mentioned. McFooly has even been positive at times lately:confused:

WYOBISONMAN
12-20-2007, 01:26 PM

I too start every morning reading the Forum online. It is an important connection to North Dakota.

fargocyclone
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Reps to Tony!

GSB Alum
12-20-2007, 09:02 PM
You want slanted. Read the Bismarck Tribune. Heaven Forbid NDSU gets anything more than a second page bottom left article.

UTH
12-20-2007, 09:54 PM
You want slanted. Read the Bismarck Tribune. Heaven Forbid NDSU gets anything more than a second page bottom left article.

There might be some truth to this statement.:nod:

BisBison
12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
There might be some truth to this statement.:nod:

There is some truth to that statement, however it is better than it once was. They had a nice article on our win over Colo St and a huge article after the goooffer game.

UTH
12-21-2007, 01:25 AM
There is some truth to that statement, however it is better than it once was. They had a nice article on our win over Colo St and a huge article after the goooffer game.

Prolly because they had no choice, I'm sure you'd agree. :D I freely admit it has improved immensely this season. Somebody on that staff has got to be going nuts over it.

GSB Alum
12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes, I will also admit the Tribune got better this year, but typically, if it's not UND or U-Mary, it doesn't exist. I can understand to some extent U-Mary, local college at all, but UND? Like others have said, if not for in-forum.com, I would get nothing or next to nothing Bison information.

NDSU1980
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, I will also admit the Tribune got better this year, but typically, if it's not UND or U-Mary, it doesn't exist. I can understand to some extent U-Mary, local college at all, but UND? Like others have said, if not for in-forum.com, I would get nothing or next to nothing Bison information.

I'd say the problem with the Bismarck Trib is that too many of the writers are und grads, and couple that with the "Imperial Cass" attitude that has circulated in Bismarck for the last 100 years, what do you expect? We used to watch Bismarck TV for the news before we got a dish with local service (Fargo now). Anyway, it was laughable how the Bismarck TV stations used to portray Bismarck as gaining on Fargo, population wise. It was even funnier when their bubble burst in the late 80's and Bismarck went stagnant.

Jdubs21
12-21-2007, 01:37 PM
do u guys realize that u are talkin about "the media"....since when have they ever said anything good about anybody lol

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 02:16 PM

The Forum is great.

NDSUguy
12-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Try not to have such thin skin.... After all, I didn't call you names or talk about dating your mother.

My point is that I don't understand what you mean by a newspaper "acting like their is a D1 program in town".... I live in Minneapolis, and read the StarTribune daily.... I see how they write about the Gophers. Outside of Sid, the stories that are written are pretty objective in my mind. Is this how newspapers in "D1" towns act???? The StarTribune also prints stories about the Badgers, the MIAC schools and Iowa.... they do this because they know who buys their papers.

What more are you looking for from the Forum? they have given us a gameday insert, they have columnists to write about every game..... Hell, we can't say that the forum does that for UND.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
SDSU isn't in the top 10 for attendance. SDSU hasn't won 8 football championships alone and 20 overall. The Bison have been building a fan base for 50 years and have earned the right to be the top dog in ND. THe Jacks have been somewhat pitiful for a really long time so it's going to take some time to win over the local fans. Sounds harsh but it's true. Up until recently, they have not been commited to excellence. I like what I see and they are headed in the right direction. Rome wasn't built overnight. We're still building after all these years.

The Forum is great.

Bisonguy
12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
How many times do we have to go over this here?

McFeely does exactly what he's paid to do. He's paid to write opinion pieces, much like the posts on here that bitch about him. NDSU is one of his bigger targets in the market due to their popularity, but he writes a lot more about any of the Minnesota pro teams.

That said, I think The Forum does a pretty good job covering NDSU football. Could it be better? Yes, but anyone that has actually held one of the gameday sports sections in their hands has to be pretty impressed. Viewing a handful of the articles online is not seeing the final product.

Now, some of the other sports and their coverage,.......

Bisonguy
12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Right on Gabe. Your original article is about a bias or a slant...which I agree with. (Does Rupert Murdock own the Forum?) The Forum is 'soft' on UND. They're not objective. McFeely is anything 'but' objective. If he knew jack I'd put up with some of his BS. I'd have no problem with critical writing from anyone at the Forum if they provided the readership with large quantities of real information. Not homer editorials...in-for-ma-tion.

Huh? McFeely's been critical of MSU-Moorhead plenty of times, so how is he being a homer?

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 03:05 PM
The Forum is great.

sambini
12-22-2007, 03:22 PM
He has been very critical on MSUM.The football coach was so pissed after the Concordia game he wouldn't talk to the media. And Mike is an alum of MSUM.

Bisonguy
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
He has been very critical on MSUM.The football coach was so pissed after the Concordia game he wouldn't talk to the media. And Mike is an alum of MSUM.

Yeah, I doubt he was making friends up north when he said UND needed to change their nickname, either.

extremerouge
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
CaBison, I typically enjoy reading what you have to write. with that said, why did you start a new thread on a topic already being covered in a different thread. I must say that I respectfully disagree with you and feel that the Forum does a fantastic job of covering the Bison. They have typically three pages of NDSU articles during football season. Kolpack and Co. work hard to provide their readers with information and opinions. I appreciate the strides the Forum has made over the last five years and look forward to reading further articles and enjoying the passel of information available.

roadwarrior
12-22-2007, 05:31 PM
If you dont like what Forum Communications is doing or not doing, why dont you start your own newspaper? Most of the rants in this thread are unwarranted.

JackJD
12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Try not to have such thin skin.... After all, I didn't call you names or talk about dating your mother.

That caught my attention! I didn't know anyone else was dating his mother. Now I'm ticked off.

The media's job is not to be cheerleader for a particular school. You have an excellent media relations department (not sure what you call it at NDSU) which pumps out lots of info about NDSU and the media will decide how much of that to print and how much additional reporting they want to do. As a reader or listener, if a particular publication or electronic media outlet does not suit my tastes, I drop it and pick up another. That's particularly true with radio and TV...their audiences can be won or lost very quickly.

Why don't you talk to the biggest advertisers and tell them you're not seeing or hearing their ads because you're no longer reading or listening to _____ (fill in the blank) because they have nothing that interests you -- that you have a deep interest in hearing about NDSU? This very subject has been worked over a little on SDSUfans.com message board in relation to one Sioux Falls radio station. The problem that occurs: if you stop listening to the particular offensive program, you no longer know who advertises there.

The media, particularly the print media, has a constant internal struggle about attempting to balance 'objective journalism' with the need to make money to stay in business.

From an outsider's perspective, your coverage in the Fargo media seems to be okay to me. The Forum doesn't do you any favors but then it has no duty to do so.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
CaBison, I typically enjoy reading what you have to write. with that said, why did you start a new thread on a topic already being covered in a different thread. I must say that I respectfully disagree with you and feel that the Forum does a fantastic job of covering the Bison. They have typically three pages of NDSU articles during football season. Kolpack and Co. work hard to provide their readers with information and opinions. I appreciate the strides the Forum has made over the last five years and look forward to reading further articles and enjoying the passel of information available.

The Forum is great.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 06:46 PM

The Forum is great.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 06:54 PM

My point is that I don't understand what you mean by a newspaper "acting like their is a D1 program in town".... I live in Minneapolis, and read the StarTribune daily.... I see how they write about the Gophers. Outside of Sid, the stories that are written are pretty objective in my mind. Is this how newspapers in "D1" towns act???? The StarTribune also prints stories about the Badgers, the MIAC schools and Iowa.... they do this because they know who buys their papers.

What more are you looking for from the Forum? they have given us a gameday insert, they have columnists to write about every game..... Hell, we can't say that the forum does that for UND.

The Forum is great.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 07:55 PM

The Forum is great.

TransAmBison
12-23-2007, 02:31 AM
This thread seems to be spiralling no where. So, I suggest you take these issues to the Bison Superfans. Who would win, McFeely or Da Bison?

The Superfans in unison, "DA BISON!"

Carry on with your regular scheduled rantings. This has been a test of the emergency Bison Superfan network. If this had been an actual emergency, Da Bison would have fixed it for you.

roadwarrior
12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
There are two articles in the Forum today on the topic of Bison men's basketball and we havent had a game in over a week.

lakesbison
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Should Be Like That Everyday. . Its Freakin Lil Fargo . .what Else Is There? Everyday I Say!

NDSU1980
12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Should Be Like That Everyday. . Its Freakin Lil Fargo . .what Else Is There? Everyday I Say!

I agree. Rep points. Why should any out of town university get any mention outside of the scores printed.

I heard yesterday on McFeely's radio show that he is now going to have a 10 minute propaganda segment on und hockey. This is totally unneeded.

Bison101
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Well let's see. Mcfooly has always loved to bash NDSU for almost anything. And now that NDSU is past it's reclassification period I would imagine that we might see a shift of reporting to UND's struggle. Let's face it. It's going to be more business as usual at NDSU and UND is just gearing up for it's journey. Add all the soap opera crap that happens there and it's not easy to see why they may be getting a little more buzz then normal nowadays. Plus you have to factor in that NDSU tv games are no longer on their channel. All of it might contribute why we are seeing UND a little more.

I think your "T.V. Theory" is true. When WDAY had all the football games, KVLY was the one doing segments on Digger Anderson and Weston Dressler.

When KVLY got the games this year, WDAY started all the Ryan Chappel and Danny Freund nonsense.

HerdBot
12-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I think your "T.V. Theory" is true. When WDAY had all the football games, KVLY was the one doing segments on Digger Anderson and Weston Dressler.

When KVLY got the games this year, WDAY started all the Ryan Chappel and Danny Freund nonsense.

Where was the "Lennon job speculation" during the recruiting season?? They sure as hell didn't want to mess up UND's recruiting like they did NDSU's with all the "Bohl is leaving" garbage. They knew Lennon he was looking elsewhere because he was looking at Montana State in '06. My TV theory is proving true. The Forum is slanted. Oh and McFeely wrote in his blog that Bohl doesn't need a raiser either. I mean, he's making the same as Lennon now. Does he still disagree?

aces1180
12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Where was the "Lennon job speculation" during the recruiting season?? They sure as hell didn't want to mess up UND's recruiting like they did NDSU's with all the "Bohl is leaving" garbage. They knew Lennon he was looking elsewhere because he was looking at Montana State in '06. My TV theory is proving true. The Forum is slanted. Oh and McFeely wrote in his blog that Bohl doesn't need a raiser either. I mean, he's making the same as Lennon now. Does he still disagree?

Give me a break...If the players didn't know about Lennon was leaving, how would the media? I don't know where your venom towards the Fargo media comes from, but you just don't have the background to critique it. Sorry to say, but its true.

Like I have said before, I respect your opinion, but you are wrong.

HerdBot
12-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Give me a break...If the players didn't know about Lennon was leaving, how would the media? I don't know where your venom towards the Fargo media comes from, but you just don't have the background to critique it. Sorry to say, but its true.

Like I have said before, I respect your opinion, but you are wrong.

I don't have the background? Please explain.

aces1180
12-30-2007, 03:55 AM
I don't have the background? Please explain.

What is your media background?...Any degrees or experience?

HerdBot
12-30-2007, 04:18 AM
What is your media background?...Any degrees or experience?

You don't know anything about me and I prefer to remain annonymous. I could be some loser working at McDonalds, I could be a federal judge, or I could own a newspaper. I could be a high school drop out or I could have a PHD in journalism. It doesn't matter. As far as you know I could have worked for the Forum. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to observe and objectively report what I see.

EDIT: I'll agree to be on the anti forum side if you agree your equally a pro forum homer. Maybe we could meet somewhere in between. :)

Tatanka
12-30-2007, 04:37 AM
YAY!!! A pissing match!

Of course you know who would win in a pissing match between Mike Ditka, Rocky Hagar, and Vince Lombardi?

DA BISON!!!

(This one's for you, TransAm)

HerdBot
12-30-2007, 04:40 AM
YAY!!! A pissing match!

Of course you know who would win in a pissing match between Mike Ditka, Rocky Hagar, and Vince Lombardi?

DA BISON!!!

I say Ditka wins the pissing match. :)

BlueBisonRock
12-30-2007, 04:51 AM
I say Ditka wins the pissing match. :)

Naah, I see the other Rock winning this one.

aces1180
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
You don't know anything about me and I prefer to remain annonymous. I could be some loser working at McDonalds, I could be a federal judge, or I could own a newspaper. I could be a high school drop out or I could have a PHD in journalism. It doesn't matter. As far as you know I could have worked for the Forum. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to observe and objectively report what I see.

EDIT: I'll agree to be on the anti forum side if you agree your equally a pro forum homer. Maybe we could meet somewhere in between. :)

Fair enough...I'll just say I think the Fargo media as a whole does a good job. Its not their job to make NDSU look good or bad, just report the facts. (Unless its a column or editorial, which is designed to make the audience think).

Wasn't try to call you out, just curious if you had any training in the media, which I do.

aces1180
12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
YAY!!! A pissing match!

DA BISON!!!

Do you smell what the Rock is cookin'?

HerdBot
12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Fair enough...I'll just say I think the Fargo media as a whole does a good job. Its not their job to make NDSU look good or bad, just report the facts. (Unless its a column or editorial, which is designed to make the audience think).

Wasn't try to call you out, just curious if you had any training in the media, which I do.

We're cool! I get a bit fired up over the Bison.

TransAmBison
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
YAY!!! A pissing match!

DA BISON!!!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there Tatanka, Ditka, Hager and Lombardi are all formidable foes, but when it comes down to the final score, I'll have to side with "Da Bison" on this one.

*For the record, I came to this decision without any journalism schooling, or working for Mcdonalds, or by being a rocket scientist.

aces1180
12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there Tatanka, Ditka, Hager and Lombardi are all formidable foes, but when it comes down to the final score, I'll have to side with "Da Bison" on this one.

*For the record, I came to this decision without any journalism schooling, or working for Mcdonalds, or by being a rocket scientist.

What about owning a TransAm? ;)