PDA

View Full Version : Where does it say that USD is a noncounter next year?

tcbison
12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Where does it say that USD and UND will be noncounters for a DI win next year? I see Montana State scheduled USD next year and there is a debate at bobcatnation if USD counts as a DI win next year. I always thought that they wouldn't count as a DI win. Am I wrong?

NDSUstudent
12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Where does it say that USD and UND will be noncounters for a DI win next year? I see Montana State scheduled USD next year and there is a debate at bobcatnation if USD counts as a DI win next year. I always thought that they wouldn't count as a DI win. Am I wrong?

I'd assume they are non-couners. Cal Poly missed the 04 playoffs because two of their wins were over non-counters(NDSU and SDSU). They played a DII school that year as well so their 9-2 record must have read 6-2 to the committee and you need 7 wins to qualify.

DenverBison05
12-20-2007, 06:20 PM

Here you go:

Link to NCAA bylaw on classification of opponents that are in transition (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.DisplayBylaw?p_Division=1&p_IndexName=ManualIndex&p_PkValue=2236&p_TextTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplica ted&p_TitleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_BylawNum=20.9.8.2.1.1&p_Text=1_20_9_7_2_1_1.HTML&p_ViewAdopted=Adopted&p_BylawType=0&p_ProposedDate=&p_AdoptedDate=&p_EffectiveDate=01-JAN-2000&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1)
Quote:20.9.8.2.1 Membership Classification of Opponents.
20.9.8.2.1.1 Reclassifying Opponents. FCS

A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a football championship subdivision opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must comply with football championship subdivision scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). (Adopted: 4/15/97; Revised: 3/10/04, 12/15/06)

The NCAA does not count the exploratory year, so this is UND and USD's first of four years in the reclassifying process

tcbison
12-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Here you go:

Link to NCAA bylaw on classification of opponents that are in transition (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.DisplayBylaw?p_Division=1&p_IndexName=ManualIndex&p_PkValue=2236&p_TextTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplica ted&p_TitleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_BylawNum=20.9.8.2.1.1&p_Text=1_20_9_7_2_1_1.HTML&p_ViewAdopted=Adopted&p_BylawType=0&p_ProposedDate=&p_AdoptedDate=&p_EffectiveDate=01-JAN-2000&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1)
Quote:20.9.8.2.1 Membership Classification of Opponents.
20.9.8.2.1.1 Reclassifying Opponents. FCS

A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a football championship subdivision opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must comply with football championship subdivision scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). (Adopted: 4/15/97; Revised: 3/10/04, 12/15/06)

The NCAA does not count the exploratory year, so this is UND and USD's first of four years in the reclassifying process

Thank you! I wasn't sure if USD would be in year 1 or year 2 of reclassification.

DenverBison05
12-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Thank you! I wasn't sure if USD would be in year 1 or year 2 of reclassification.

I hear you, I wished that the NCAA would make it easier to understand; but its the NCAA, they never do anything easy.

tcbison
12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, I think Montana State just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. They love playing home DII games and then playing a FBS money game. Right now they scheduled USD, another DII, and Minnesota. Sure it will make them money but the schedule really hurts their playoff chances. I suggest they come play next year in Fargo. I doubt that will happen though.

Bisonguy
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, I think Montana State just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. They love playing home DII games and then playing a FBS money game. Right now they scheduled USD, another DII, and Minnesota. Sure it will make them money but the schedule really hurts their playoff chances. I suggest they come play next year in Fargo. I doubt that will happen though.

Yes, that will definitely make it tougher for them to get to the 7 recommended DI wins for an at-large berth.