PDA

View Full Version : Official Bison vs. Sioux approval poll

onbison09
12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Instead of arguing how bout a poll? I vote yes (generates buzz, Minot State and Valley City State does absolutly nothing for us)

fargocyclone
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Voted Yes.

BisBison
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Voted no. Let em beg.

onbison09
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
And we're not begging for home games?

NDSUguy
12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
voted no...

If we bring in one big game a year (CSU, KState, etc) there is no need for UND since we will get "buzz" from those other games...

Speaking of buzz..... There will be a hell of a lot MORE buzz if we make the tournament than if we play UND at home. The only way we make the tournament (if we don't win the summit) is to have at least 20 wins (likely 21-23 wins). the harder our non-conference schedule the less likely it will be for us to make the dance as an at large.

ndsubison1
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
voted yes, money is more important than politics

lakesbison
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
It's time. Let woody and company have a shot at the sioux before they graduate.

NO!!! THESE NDSU ATHLETES WANT NATIONAL PRAISE AND PLAY VS NATIONAL TEAMS AND GET ON ESPN IF THEY UPSET!

GIVE ME A BREAK PEOPLE!!!

anyone that votes YES is a joke, and doesn't understand the BIG PICTURE and HOW NDSU HAS and WILL CONTINUE to seperate themselves from that school!!

RedRiver
12-19-2007, 12:37 AM

NO!!! THESE NDSU ATHLETES WANT NATIONAL PRAISE AND PLAY VS NATIONAL TEAMS AND GET ON ESPN IF THEY UPSET!

anyone that votes YES is a joke, and doesn't understand the BIG PICTURE and HOW NDSU HAS and WILL CONTINUE to seperate themselves from that school!!

I couldn't agree more.

Tatanka
12-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Pass.......

Mr. Burgundy
12-19-2007, 12:59 AM
In a time of need....we got no help. Let them beg. I am currently trying to dig up info on the press conference they had back in the day stating we were making a mistake. Well, D2 is pretty sweet now isn't it. Goodnight.

NDSUstudent
12-19-2007, 01:16 AM

I'd agree with you lakes but when we have teams like Minot and Mayville on our home schedule you can't use the we want national attention line. Just doesn't work, now a game vs UND on FSN would attract some attention.

UTH
12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Umm, only after

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Pigsfly.jpg

AND

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Hellfrozeover-1.jpg

*additional terms may apply

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 01:35 AM

The BIG picture for the mens team is to make the tournament next year. We cant even have those DAC schools on our schedule next year because they do not count towards the number of wins needed for an atlarge bid. So we need to find two more DI schools to come in here and replace them. Would you rather bring in another NC Central because that is about all that we will be able to bring in and that wont draw anything. Oral Roberts went 25-3 two years ago, got knocked off in the conference tournament and didnt get an atlarge. It is EXTREMELY tough. UND is a guaranteed win against a DI counter and would draw a large crowd. This group deserves the chance to lay an absolute beating on the sewage in the BSA in front of a packed house.

NDSUguy
12-19-2007, 04:31 AM
The BIG picture for the mens team is to make the tournament next year. We cant even have those DAC schools on our schedule next year because they do not count towards the number of wins needed for an atlarge bid. So we need to find two more DI schools to come in here and replace them. Would you rather bring in another NC Central because that is about all that we will be able to bring in and that wont draw anything. Oral Roberts went 25-3 two years ago, got knocked off in the conference tournament and didnt get an atlarge. It is EXTREMELY tough. UND is a guaranteed win against a DI counter and would draw a large crowd. This group deserves the chance to lay an absolute beating on the sewage in the BSA in front of a packed house.

Guaranteed win???? Nothing is guaranteed..... especially when it comes to a UND/NDSU rivalry. Certainly, I think that NDSU would win but its not guaranteed. I'd rather bring in the bottom of the barrel D1 team to get our counter game than bring in UND. NDSU needs to care about making the tourney and the "buzz" will come with that.

Money is NOT important. Last time I checked NDSU athletics wasn't struggling for cash.

DenverBison05
12-19-2007, 04:39 AM

There is no guarentee that UND will be a counter, Has UND announced their schedule yet because if they have more than 4 non DI teams on it they count the same as a DAC team (just for reference neither our men's nor women's teams were considered counters for RPI purposes their first year in DI). Plus playing a DAC team doesn't count for or against us, most DI teams play at least one non-counter during the regular season.

56BISON73
12-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Guaranteed win???? Nothing is guaranteed..... especially when it comes to a UND/NDSU rivalry. Certainly, I think that NDSU would win but its not guaranteed. I'd rather bring in the bottom of the barrel D1 team to get our counter game than bring in UND. NDSU needs to care about making the tourney and the "buzz" will come with that.

Money is NOT important. Last time I checked NDSU athletics wasn't struggling for cash.

MONEY IS IMPORTANT. To acheive EXCELLENCE in EVERY sport that sport needs to be FULLY funded. Football and Basketball is what is supposed to drives that engine. Is BB holding up its end????
There is NEVER enough money. PL

devin45k
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM
I voted yes but I meant no....

Playing them next year or very soon future, would do nothing exposure for us. I seriously would rather play established D1 teams, even if we lose.

But for the love of god...get these NAIA teams of our schedule.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 06:32 AM

Oh how uninformed you are. If you look beyond the big 3 (football, mens basketball, womens basketball) and ask the other coaches just how things are especially at the bottom of the totem pole you might realize there is a big strugle for cash. Maybe take a look around the BSA again and tell me that cash is not important. Some how improvements or a new building need to be paid for.

You are right though that it is not a guaranteed win but we would have to have a terrible game and they would have to play their best to win. They are not very good. Northern State with 2 ND class B kids starting worked them by 30. I am sure some one will say.... but they are on an 8 game winning streak.... yeah against Crookston, Western Oregon and 6 DAC or NAIA transitioning schools. All of which have been less then impressive victories.

TheBisonator
12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Oh how uninformed you are. If you look beyond the big 3 (football, mens basketball, womens basketball) and ask the other coaches just how things are especially at the bottom of the totem pole you might realize there is a big strugle for cash. Maybe take a look around the BSA again and tell me that cash is not important. Some how improvements or a new building need to be paid for.

You are right though that it is not a guaranteed win but we would have to have a terrible game and they would have to play their best to win. They are not very good. Northern State with 2 ND class B kids starting worked them by 30. I am sure some one will say.... but they are on an 8 game winning streak.... yeah against Crookston, Western Oregon and 6 DAC or NAIA transitioning schools. All of which have been less then impressive victories.

I agree when you say that a win would be almost a certainty against them. UND is NOT a good mens hoops team at all. They are a below-average DII team, and we are a good DI mid-major team. Who wins out in that battle?? Who, for example, would win in a game between Wisconsin-Green Bay and Concordia-St. Paul?? UWGB would whale on them by 40 or more. These two programs are as far apart as you can get. NDSU would put on a clinic against the siouxage.

For our guys, a game vs. UND would be a little more challenging than Minot State but less challenging than Mayville State.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I voted yes but I meant no....

Playing them next year or very soon future, would do nothing exposure for us. I seriously would rather play established D1 teams, even if we lose.

But for the love of god...get these NAIA teams of our schedule.

For the record, I voted yes and meant yes.

NDSUguy
12-19-2007, 01:35 PM

You sir....are an idiot!

Yes, i'm really uninformed... This is what I know to be true:

1. NDSU will need d1 games
2. NDSU is not guaranteed anything against UND in basketball
3. The lost ticket sales by scheduling Minot State vs. UND at home would likely be around 4000 tickets. NDSU would lose at most 50,000 dollars in ticket revenue by doing this game (based on $12ticket x 4000 tickets).
4. If NDSU makes the NCAA post season tournament they will be paid roughly 164,000 dollar for EACH postseason game (excluding the championship game). Check out the link: http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/revenue_distribution_plan

Now on to my reponse:

Why would we want to schedule UND and risk losing (because they won't always be bad) for an estimated 50-75k (including consessions). If we were to schedule cupcake d1 non-conference games this would HELP our chances to get to the tournament as an at-large bid (if we don't win the summit).

Personally, I would love to get that 165k. I'm sure that would help pay for alot of things. It's not ALWAYS about the fans desires.... NDSU can not schedule games to appease those who want to beat down UND or start up the rivalry again.

The bottom line is this.... If it was really a sure fire no-brainer thing to do, we would already be doing it.

NDSU1980
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Every time someone has an urge to play UND, I seriously suggest they look at a picture of Roger Thomas. That alone should be enough to turn off those raging hormones that are pushing your urge to play the Sioux.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
You sir....are an idiot!

Yes, i'm really uninformed... This is what I know to be true:

1. NDSU will need d1 games
2. NDSU is not guaranteed anything against UND in basketball
3. The lost ticket sales by scheduling Minot State vs. UND at home would likely be around 4000 tickets. NDSU would lose at most 50,000 dollars in ticket revenue by doing this game (based on $12ticket x 4000 tickets).
4. If NDSU makes the NCAA post season tournament they will be paid roughly 164,000 dollar for EACH postseason game (excluding the championship game). Check out the link: http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/revenue_distribution_plan

Now on to my reponse:

Why would we want to schedule UND and risk losing (because they won't always be bad) for an estimated 50-75k (including consessions). If we were to schedule cupcake d1 non-conference games this would HELP our chances to get to the tournament as an at-large bid (if we don't win the summit).

Personally, I would love to get that 165k. I'm sure that would help pay for alot of things. It's not ALWAYS about the fans desires.... NDSU can not schedule games to appease those who want to beat down UND or start up the rivalry again.

The bottom line is this.... If it was really a sure fire no-brainer thing to do, we would already be doing it.

You are uninformed on how readily the cash flow is available in the Athletic Department. Thats all I was saying. The image that is out there is that everything is fantastic for everyone when it is not even close. You apparently have also bought into that image that ever program is financially supported. The fact is we still have teams that are not even funded to half of the allowable scholarships or pay even a minimal full time wage for the alloted asistant coaches.

Now I agree with your points totally that you listed to be true. But you are missing a few things with those.

1. A dI cupcake non-conference game... Wouldn't UND be considered a cupcake more then any other DI established program. They are in transition and if they are considered a DI counter (which if they get the proper amount of DI games they would be) they would be a more likely cupcake then say a Denver.

2. I would guess 5,000 would be more likely but 4,000 is a safe guestimate so it would make $50,000 for tickets (funny that is the same $ amount that is being thrown around in the football forum to give to bohl, that cash might come in handy). Now you have to think beyond just the ticket sales because it is a large draw. You also have the concession revenue, the program sales revenue and advertising revenue in the programs. You have potentialy $15,000 in tv revenue. Another major sponsorship from a local business like BWW did last weekend. That runs your game total actually closer to $100,000 or more. If you add USD (if they are a counter and would be considered more of a cupcake then most any other DI team) that would be another game that would draw around 3,000. Twice as many fans then a no name that no one knows about.

3. Making it into the tournament as an atlarge is extremely difficult. Our RPI needs to be some where in the 30's and 40's. Oral Roberts went 25-7 in 2005, lost in the conference title game to Oakland and did not get an at large. (very detailed info here on their resume that year... http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87172&SPID=10340&DB_OEM_ID=17000&ATCLID=1102550) One underlying thing that may have changed between then and now is that the conference is stronger. With the addition of quality teams it should help the conferences RPI which is a major factor in the selection of how many teams from each conference deserve to go. Right now our conference is at 21 out of 31. http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html ... That is not going to be very beneficial to receiving an at large bid.

This has nothing to do with playing UND to appease the fan base. I am looking at how it can be beneficial to the team collecting DI victories without having to pay out some sort of guarantee that would not get covered because no one would attend. We need home games and it is by far the best option we have available.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Every time someone has an urge to play UND, I seriously suggest they look at a picture of Roger Thomas. That alone should be enough to turn off those raging hormones that are pushing your urge to play the Sioux.

Roger Thomas? Who is he? Roger Rabbit's second cousin? (Sorry Bison Babe) ;)

Oh yeah, he is the former UND coach and AD, then NCC Commish who worked his way out of a job as a result of poor decision making and execution.

Did he graduate from the U? Didn't think so. He is just another pretty face who passed through the night. He does not represent UND in today's world any more than Les Steckel represents the Vikings.

The business world also has these pretty faces come and go. In some cases, they make some rather ignorant decisions, as they also do not understand the underlying factors or drivers.

If your rational for not playing UND depends on distrust for Roger Thomas, I suggest that you reevaluate your decision criteria. There are other arguments presented on this board that make a bit more sense. Spite, however, is not a criterion for making a decision. The distrust driving the spite implies that one must have his or her facts pulled together to support a successful win-win or the win in a win-lose negotiation.

I simply believe that the NDSU scheduling decision makers need to look at all of the facts before either committing a game or eliminating any future games. A poor decision made by ignorant people should not result in perpetual ranting and hatred. After all, this is North Dakota, not the Middle East.

Ferd
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM

... stuff deleted ...

A poor decision made by ignorant people should not result in perpetual ranting and hatred. After all, this is North Dakota, not the Middle East.

Well said!:nod: :nod:

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Very well said. The thoughts and decisions of Roger Thomas (who we all thought was a jerk before he ever became AD) should not affect things forever. When the decision was made to not play us in all sports it was not the decision of all coaches. Thomas said this is whats going to happen like it or not. As a coach if you want to keep your job there you probably need to publically talk the company line wether you believe it or not. That decision was and always will be a Roger Thomas issue. Once Bunning was in place, despite it being a situation where football had nothing to gain by playing us but everything to lose, he was still open to the idea because he saw the bigger picture and not putting personal grudges from being called Nuckelheads into the mix.

JSUBison
12-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree when you say that a win would be almost a certainty against them. UND is NOT a good mens hoops team at all. They are a below-average DII team, and we are a good DI mid-major team. Who wins out in that battle?? Who, for example, would win in a game between Wisconsin-Green Bay and Concordia-St. Paul?? UWGB would whale on them by 40 or more. These two programs are as far apart as you can get. NDSU would put on a clinic against the siouxage.

For our guys, a game vs. UND would be a little more challenging than Minot State but less challenging than Mayville State.

Well how about this example: Who would win between a 15 ranked Big Ten team and a transitioning D2 team? Or how about the 8th ranked team and the same D2 team? NDSU could very well lose to UND. Just ask Wisconsin and Marquette.

Bison bison
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
If we get a new arena, playing UND won't be as fiscally beneficial as it would be otherwise.

UTH
12-19-2007, 07:49 PM

A poor decision made by ignorant people should not result in perpetual ranting and hatred.

The 'perpetual ranting and hatred' is what brought about the policies and decisions that ended it all. It isn't like Chief Two First Names woke up one day and decided that he hated NDSU and decided to try to undermine any efforts to improve the level of competition. I prefer to remember history and not repeat mistakes of the past. :D

Speaking of history...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/ArthurNevilleChamberlain.jpg* AND http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Stalinpointing.jpg* would like to have a word with Bisonville about the perils of cooperating with Fascists.

Don't forget what it is that Gene Taylor is facing in today's world of trickery, deceit, and outright douchebaggery.

*neville chamberlain and comrade stalin, for those who aren't history geeks

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2007, 08:01 PM
The 'perpetual ranting and hatred' is what brought about the policies and decisions that ended it all. It isn't like Chief Two First Names woke up one day and decided that he hated NDSU and decided to try to undermine any efforts to improve the level of competition. I prefer to remember history and not repeat mistakes of the past. :D

As always, I appreciate your perspective. It appears that I am missing a gap in the NDSU UND history. I left Bismarck in 88 and did not get all of the detailed media and other talk that folks like yourself recognize. What troubles me more regarding this divide is the feedback I get from family and friends who still live in state. My FiL had one of the most confused looks I have ever seen when I asked him about it. My younger brother (strong Bison fan) provided his opinion on previous UND coaches and highlighted the UND administration's comments. I remember serious competition, but never the out and out hostility that permiates these threads. Seriously Thunder, where does this come from?

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I voted no. I do not want to play them at this time. They were not willing to even help a little when we were transitioning. I do not want us to help them. We can forgive in time but now is not the time it is our time to be THE DIVISION 1 program in ND. If they get to be a D1 counter then lets play but not until that time at the earliest. We need wins against D1 counters and need to play well against tougher teams but we need some cupcakes to.

UTH
12-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Seriously Thunder, where does this come from?

I'll only speak to what forms my own opinions on the issue. That comes from my years of living behind enemy lines. I have plenty of juicy stories about the place and their culture. I'm very interested in just letting them go and forgetting about the whole deal, except for what goes into the scrap books, etc. I suppose you can consider me damaged goods where this issue is concerned.

Where the state as a whole is concerned, it should be a very interesting discussion. I'm sure that most will have their own reasons, hypotheses, theories, etc.

My one caveat is that it can't be a "What's first - the chicken or the egg" thing, since I don't remember seeing NDSU pulling any petty douchebaggery.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I voted no. I do not want to play them at this time. They were not willing to even help a little when we were transitioning. I do not want us to help them. We can forgive in time but now is not the time it is our time to be THE DIVISION 1 program in ND. If they get to be a D1 counter then lets play but not until that time at the earliest. We need wins against D1 counters and need to play well against tougher teams but we need some cupcakes to.

If they have the minimum number of DI games on their schedule they will be a DI counter next year just like our mens team was its first full year (our women were not as amy chose to play a DII schedule)and they possibly would be the easiest DI game on our schedule.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll only speak to what forms my own opinions on the issue. That comes from my years of living behind enemy lines. I have plenty of juicy stories about the place and their culture. I'm very interested in just letting them go and forgetting about the whole deal, except for what goes into the scrap books, etc. I suppose you can consider me damaged goods where this issue is concerned.

Where the state as a whole is concerned, it should be a very interesting discussion. I'm sure that most will have their own reasons, hypotheses, theories, etc.

My one caveat is that it can't be a "What's first - the chicken or the egg" thing, since I don't remember seeing NDSU pulling any petty douchebaggery.

Thanks. I would appreciate taking the discussion off line and learning from your experience. Rep points coming to you when I am renewed. Went overboard today and am out.

Please note that even though I have a passion for this rivalry, I do not necessarily hold the upstate neighbor in high regard. I just loved it when the Bison kicked their collective @$$. Even without the full discussion, I respect and accept your caveat.

79FCourt
12-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Give these new conference foes a couple years. If we continue to succeed they will become very important and well attended home games especially if the game has "big dance" implications. In addition, lets work on home/home with our gateway partners. Pretty sure Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, etc would be great draws given our relationship with football.

79FCourt
12-19-2007, 08:49 PM
If they have the minimum number of DI games on their schedule they will be a DI counter next year just like our mens team was its first full year (our women were not as amy chose to play a DII schedule)and they possibly would be the easiest DI game on our schedule.

Games like that will not help our RPI and thus our chances at the post season.

UTH
12-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Give these new conference foes a couple years. If we continue to succeed they will become very important and well attended home games especially if the game has "big dance" implications. In addition, lets work on home/home with our gateway partners. Pretty sure Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, etc would be great draws given our relationship with football.

++++ ++++ +++++, +++++++!

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Yep I know, but they are not there now and I don't want to help them get there. If they make it on their own the way they made us approach the whole transition time then lets be one of the last teams they schedule but not until. We should not help anything come easy for them. We do not need them. They are like a old girlfriend, sometimes you look back and say "maybe I should look back into that" but it is not going to work if the break up is in the recent past. Maybe after time has healed some of the wounds they opened but not until the scab is long gone and the scar tissue is set in place for a long period of time.

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Ya bring them both in, they would make good games and hopefully be well attended. Southern Ill has a good BB program if I remember right. We need to be at the top of the mid majors and to be that we need to play a lot of mid majors and beat them.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Ya bring them both in, they would make good games and hopefully be well attended. Southern Ill has a good BB program if I remember right. We need to be at the top of the mid majors and to be that we need to play a lot of mid majors and beat them.

You can definately try but at this point you are not going to get them in a home and home. The best they could do is a 2 for 1 situation. Those two programs are far to established at this point as a high mid major. As you said, they dont need us, we need them. It goes both ways.

bisonmike2
12-19-2007, 09:26 PM

I voted yes, yet I do understand the BIG PICTURE and HOW NDSU HAS and WILL CONTINUE to seperate themselves from that school. How is this possible? By taking such an extreme hardline against us playing UND you are almost admitting that NDSU has to avoid UND to maintain any so called superiority over UND. I say we'll be the better school with or without UND. Playing them won't kill our momentum nor will it make it us attain some sort of super status. They are fun games. And that's what I want as a fan.

DenverBison05
12-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Just for the record we were not even close to a DI counter our first full year of DI. We only played 13 DI teams (actually it was probably only 11, since I dont think SDSU counted either). RUle 20.9.6.1 of the NCAA BYlaws says that a team cannot play more than 4 non-DI teams, we were not even close to this requirement and in actuality until next year we are held to an even stricter standard of only being allowed 2 non-DI teams, this requirement goes into affect in our second year of the DI transition.(rule 20.9.6.1.1)

Edit: Also 1/3 of a provisional member's games must be at home in order to be considered a DI team. 20.9.6.2

BisonBlogger
12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Based on past years, it is very doubtful that a team from the Summit League would ever have an at large bid to the NCAA. I believe the league rated one of the lowest, if not the lowest RPI ranked of all the D1 conferences. A team in the league has very little chance of improving their RPI playing other teams in the conference.

Second, knowing that this is true, a mid-major team ever hoping to get an at large bid would have to beat a number of teams in the top 100 RPI. That means beating high-majors at their gyms because you won't get but maybe one high-major a year coming to Fargo. Tall order but that is what teams like Gonzaga, George Mason, So. ILL and Butler have been successful doing hence their RPI rankings.

Mid-Majors that have aspirations of getting an at large bid would need to avoid playing other mid-majors lower than themselves in the RPI rankings like the plauge. That means teams like UND when you are a team like NDSU.

Bottom line is for NDSU to ever hope for an at large bid to the "Big Dance", they would need to go something like 25 and 3 and beat several teams higher in the rankings then themselves and most likely win the regular season conference championship. They most likely would need to be ranked in the Top 25 Nationally also.

The winner take all Summit League Championship Tournament is where it will most likely need to happen. High drama to be sure.

DenverBison05
12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Based on past years, it is very doubtful that a team from the Summit League would ever have an at large bid to the NCAA. I believe the league rated one of the lowest, if not the lowest RPI ranked of all the D1 conferences. A team in the league has very little chance of improving their RPI playing other teams in the conference.

Just a fyi, the league used to regularly get multiple bids to the big dance. Also last year, they weren't even close to being the lowest RPI conference. THere were about 10 conferences rated lower than the mid-con.

56BISON73
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I voted yes, yet I do understand the BIG PICTURE and HOW NDSU HAS and WILL CONTINUE to seperate themselves from that school. How is this possible? By taking such an extreme hardline against us playing UND you are almost admitting that NDSU has to avoid UND to maintain any so called superiority over UND. I say we'll be the better school with or without UND. Playing them won't kill our momentum nor will it make it us attain some sort of super status. They are fun games. And that's what I want as a fan.

You are batting a thousand today!!!!!:nod: PL

NDSUstudent
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
NDSU getting an at large is virtually impossible, for example we probably couldn't even afford 4 losses with the schedule we have now. The Summit just doesn't have enough power. RPI is still important in regards to seeding and the NIT.

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Just a fyi, the league used to regularly get multiple bids to the big dance. Also last year, they weren't even close to being the lowest RPI conference. THere were about 10 conferences rated lower than the mid-con.

What???? When. Name the years they got multiple bids.

onbison09
12-20-2007, 01:27 AM
I said yes orignially :blush: but that totally changed my mind. Almost like a splash of cold water to the face or even a slap. What I think we should do is not to schedule any NAIA teams unless it is last resort and get the best D1 slate possible. We may not get major teams to come up to Fargo every year but with a conference now I can deal with that.

DenverBison05
12-20-2007, 02:06 AM
What???? When. Name the years they got multiple bids.

1990 &1991 (four different teams in those 2 years) It has definetely happened before in this league.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/pdf5/93558.pdf?ATCLID=1292923&SPSID=21770&SPID=1768&DB_OEM_ID=3900

roadwarrior
12-20-2007, 03:18 AM
1990 Northern Iowa & Missouri State
1991 Northern Illinois & UW Green Bay

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 06:17 AM
1990 &1991 (four different teams in those 2 years) It has definetely happened before in this league.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/pdf5/93558.pdf?ATCLID=1292923&SPSID=21770&SPID=1768&DB_OEM_ID=3900

That was almost 20 years ago and those schools are not even in the conference any more. They moved on to better conferences. Sorry not a good example of it happening. The teams in this conference are not at that level. There are way too many stronger mid major conferences that have 3 teams worthy that may only get one team as well. You need to put together something really special to get a chance at an atlarge. On top of that there are about 50 or so more schools in DI now then there were back then.

lakesbison
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
GOD YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN PU$$IES!!!

WE SHOULD NOT GET OVER IT....

WE SHOULD NOT PLAY THEM!!

GET IT THRU YOUR HEADS!!

WOODY, WINKY, NELLY....ALL THOSE GUYS DIDNT PLAY THEM! AND THEY DIDNT GIVE A FLYING PIG POOP!!!

NEITHER DO US "NEW" BREED OF NDSU FANS>

WHY DONT YOU "OLD TIMERS" OR WHOEVER YOU ARE THAT WANT THIS RIVALRY, GO OUT ON A FRIDAY/SATURDAY NIGHT DOWNTOWN FARGO WITH THE CURRENT NDSU STUDENTS/PLAYERS OR WHATEVA.

THEY ARE SOO PROUD OF PLAYING BIG TIME TEAMS, THEY LAUGH IF SOMEONE MENTIONS UND... YOU NEVER HEAR SIOUX SUCK CHANTS ANYMORE, YOU NEVER HEAR A WORD ABOUT THEM!!

THAT IS THE #1 REASON WE SHOULDN'T PLAY THEM EVER!!!

the "NEW" breed of NDSU fans, they want Minnesota, FLORIDA, TEXAS TECH, Iowa State, Wisconsin, marquette etc etc... we want to be on ESPN.. we dont need a rivalry to make us feel good about our lives.... keep living in the PAST!!!!! its OVER!!!!

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
GOD YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN PU$$IES!!!

WE SHOULD NOT GET OVER IT....

WE SHOULD NOT PLAY THEM!!

GET IT THRU YOUR HEADS!!

WOODY, WINKY, NELLY....ALL THOSE GUYS DIDNT PLAY THEM! AND THEY DIDNT GIVE A FLYING PIG POOP!!!

NEITHER DO US "NEW" BREED OF NDSU FANS>

WHY DONT YOU "OLD TIMERS" OR WHOEVER YOU ARE THAT WANT THIS RIVALRY, GO OUT ON A FRIDAY/SATURDAY NIGHT DOWNTOWN FARGO WITH THE CURRENT NDSU STUDENTS/PLAYERS OR WHATEVA.

THEY ARE SOO PROUD OF PLAYING BIG TIME TEAMS, THEY LAUGH IF SOMEONE MENTIONS UND... YOU NEVER HEAR SIOUX SUCK CHANTS ANYMORE, YOU NEVER HEAR A WORD ABOUT THEM!!

THAT IS THE #1 REASON WE SHOULDN'T PLAY THEM EVER!!!

the "NEW" breed of NDSU fans, they want Minnesota, FLORIDA, TEXAS TECH, Iowa State, Wisconsin, marquette etc etc... we want to be on ESPN.. we dont need a rivalry to make us feel good about our lives.... keep living in the PAST!!!!! its OVER!!!!

Sioux suck chants used to be prompted when a score was given over the PA. We dont give those scores anymore so you dont hear it. You are not taped into the athletes like you think you are Lakes. Yes they all want to compete against the highest level and the schools you named. Who wouldnt. However this group of seniors in football was dying to get their hands on UND. They had to sit on the sidline and watch us lose to UND in the last game and so very much wanted to destroy them this year. That is comming directly from the mouths of starters. That will always continue to hang over that group of seniors that they never got the chance to throttle them and raise the Nickle. It is the same thing in basketball. They hear about the rivalry. They look in the media guide and programs and see the largest attendance totals for the games with UND and think how much fun that would be to crush them in that atmosphere. As much as you want to think of NDSU as an equal with Florida and the likes we are no where close and never will be. I have bled green and gold since i had my dipers changed at Dakotah Field but understand that we will always be nothing more then a mid major.

Ferd
12-20-2007, 06:41 PM
It disturbs me that my last memory of a Bison/Sioux football game is Kleinsasser running away from everyone at the FFD.

I hear the word "Tradition" bandied about here regularly. The national championships are certainly noteworthy. The conference championship banners continue to give me goose bumps, but the "Nickel" games also carry huge amounts of tradition. (I loved watching the student body president losing their pants at midfield.)

I suspect the next time we'll meet the other ND football team will be during playoffs. We were forced to schedule without them and now it will be difficult to fit them in except occasionally, at best.

Basketball is a different story. We could easily fit anybody into the schedule. The idea of a xDSU/UxD holiday tournament was mentioned at AGS. While we need to be sure they "count" first I think that it could grow quickly into a BIG annual event. It could even include men's and women's teams.

I just want to see the BEST competition as much as possible. We are very near that in football. We have a ways to go in BB.

Maybe I'll feel differently after we have some home Summit games. Only time will tell.

:hungry:

missingnumber7
12-21-2007, 06:59 PM
My theory is let them struggle like they sat there and laughed at us while we struggled. Let them learn, let them find a conference. Then and only then. I just don't see the need for them now. They might need us, but we certainly don't need them.

The closest real games to home played by the mens team the first 2 years were in the cities or in brookings. Our teams lived on the road. I just think that they need to 1 count for something, not against something. and 2 understand what we went through. They are going to come in asking at the most for a home and home. We really should laugh hard at them. The most in their favor should be a 2 home and away series. If we play them at all.

I think we should wait till they have found their way through the muddy depths of transition. And then welcome them to a beat down or two in a new venue, just to rub the new venue in.

IBleedYellow
12-26-2007, 04:20 AM

First time in my life I agree with Lakes...Ever.

TheDoctor
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I would NEVER say play them in football, because their program is solid enough that if the stars aligned, they might beat us and then look out. BUT, in basketball, their program is sooooooooo bad that there is now way in HE double hockey sticks that they could beat us on a bad night. They "compete" with the likes of Mayville, Moorhead State, Valley City, and often lose. So, I say play them at home in basketball, take the gate and concessions, and say "we'd do the same thing to you on the football field, so its not worth our time". :rofl: Just my 2 cents! ;)

Herd Mentality
12-26-2007, 05:06 PM

POST OF THE YEAR.