PDA

View Full Version : Recalling 1988 & Kicker Kevin Boe

NWNDBison
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Good article reminiscing the 1988 championship and undefeated season:

http://www.fergusfallsjournal.com/news/2007/dec/17/boe-still-cherishes-national-title/

Boe, a 1986 graduate of Fergus Falls High School, was successful on all five of his extra-point attempts. That year Boe was third in points scored for the Bison. The snapper for the attempts was lineman Phil Hansen — a native of Oakes, N.D. — who went on to play pro football with the Buffalo Bills. Hansen now lives in Detroit Lakes.

“Wearing a ring as part of the 1988 Division II national title team is something really special,” Boe said. “What a year — winning the national title and going unbeaten on the season.”

aces1180
12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Weird...I had a friend who attended NDSU with the exact same name. Unfortunately, he passed away when he crashed his spray plane in 2005. That article made me think about him, which was nice :)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-20-2007, 03:48 AM
The article mentions that NDSU had a "void" in place kickers. That would be putting it nicely. I was an equiptment manager for the Bison in the fall of '85. Back then the team didn't recruit a place kicker.

Towards the end of fall camp the coaches would line up anyone on the team who wanted to be a place kicker and have them try a few field goals from the around the 10 yard line. Needless to say it was a very comical affair.

We had one guy who was a total idot. He was a walkon who thought he was the the next of kin to Marcus Allen. He had absolutely no talent whatsoever. I don't know if he even played football in highschool. It appeared as if he didn't. Anyway, he lined up to try an extra point. In the meantime, one of the assistant coaches, Mike Whetstone (sp.), was leaning with one arm up against the goalpost. Considering the talent pool of the guys "trying out" to be place kickers, this probably wasn't the safest place on the planet. I'm sure Mike was thinking "hey, this is college football, these guys should as least be able to kick it through the uprights at 10 yards, right?" WRONG!!!!

Needless to say this guy lines up, lets one fly, and smacks Whetstone (sp.) on the side of the head. The whole team was standing around watching the tryouts. IT WAS HALARIOUS!!! Everyone, including the coaching staff, doubled over with laughter. Mike was so pissed, I thought he was going to tear that guys head right off. But, everyone was laughing so hard he couldn't do anything but laugh himself. "Good times, Good times." :nod:

After that event, I think the coaching staff decided they needed to start "recruiting" place kickers.

UTH
12-20-2007, 03:53 AM
The article mentions that NDSU had a "void" in place kickers. That would be putting it nicely. I was an equiptment manager for the Bison in the fall of '85. Back then the team didn't recruit a place kicker.

Towards the end of fall camp the coaches would line up anyone on the team who wanted to be a place kicker and have them try a few field goals from the around the 10 yard line. Needless to say it was a very comical affair.

We had one guy who was a total idot. He was a walkon who thought he was the the next of kin to Marcus Allen. He had absolutely no talent whatsoever. I don't know if he even played football in highschool. It appeared as if he didn't. Anyway, he lined up to try an extra point. In the meantime, one of the assistant coaches, Mike Whetstone (sp.), was leaning with one arm up against the goalpost. Considering the talent pool of the guys "trying out" to be place kickers, this probably wasn't the safest place on the planet. I'm sure Mike was thinking "hey, this is college football, these guys should as least be able to kick it through the uprights at 10 yards, right?" WRONG!!!!

Needless to say this guy lines up, lets one fly, and smacks Whetstone (sp.) on the side of the head. The whole team was standing around watching the tryouts. IT WAS HALARIOUS!!! Everyone, including the coaching staff, doubled over with laughter. Mike was so pissed, I thought he was going to tear that guys head right off. But, everyone was laughing so hard he couldn't do anything but laugh himself. "Good times, Good times." :nod:

After that event, I think the coaching staff decided they needed to start "recruiting" place kickers.

Now, THAT's funny. Thanks for sharing.

*reps

UTH
12-20-2007, 03:54 AM

btw - sounds like something I would have enjoyed trying, so let's not laugh too hard :D

56BISON73
12-20-2007, 04:19 AM

One must beware of those who think they can kick and cant.
At the end of practice we were having extra point practice. At the end Steve Nelson says he wants to give it a try. So coach say sure. Well I snap the the ball to the holder. I guess I had to much zip on the ball and the holder muffed it a bit and didnt get the ball down in a timely manner so by the time Nellie kicks it I am standing upright. Well Nellie hits a low sreamer and it tags me square in the back of the helemt. It knocks me down on all fours and rings my bell to boot. Everyone is laughing and Im dizzier that hell. :D PL

ps In addition when coach got done laughing he tells Nellie to give it another try. Well now Im pretty leary. So I snap the ball and keep my head down this time. But what does Nellie do??? He hits another low screamer and tags me squarely in the ass. Now guys are laying all over the field laughing. Coach is laughing so hard he just signals us in that practice is over. Well we get into the locker room and Im walking to the shower and the guys are still laughing. So of course its not as funny to me anymore so I ask whats so damn funny. They said its your ass. There was a perfect pink imprint of a football on my butt.

BlueBisonRock
12-20-2007, 04:32 AM
One must beware of those who think they can kick and cant.
At the end of practice we were having extra point practice. At the end Steve Nelson says he wants to give it a try. So coach say sure. Well I snap the the ball to the holder. I guess I had to much zip on the ball and the holder muffed it a bit and didnt get the ball down in a timely manner so by the time Nellie kicks it I am standing upright. Well Nellie hits a low sreamer and it tags me square in the back of the helemt. It knocks me down on all fours and rings my bell to boot. Everyone is laughing and Im dizzier that hell. :D PL

Thanks for sharing. Man, I loved that 73 team. Nelson blew me away the game he played with a shoulder seperation and his arm taped to his torso. One armed and still kicking tail. PL It had to be a dream come true.

56BISON73
12-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. Man, I loved that 73 team. Nelson blew me away the game he played with a shoulder seperation and his arm taped to his torso. One armed and still kicking tail. PL It had to be a dream come true.

UND game wasnt it. PL

BlueBisonRock
12-20-2007, 05:25 AM
UND game wasnt it. PL

Thanks for the memory help. Altzheimers is a constant threat to the old guys on this forum. ;)

CaBisonFan
12-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Good article reminiscing the 1988 championship and undefeated season:

http://www.fergusfallsjournal.com/news/2007/dec/17/boe-still-cherishes-national-title/

Boe, a 1986 graduate of Fergus Falls High School, was successful on all five of his extra-point attempts. That year Boe was third in points scored for the Bison. The snapper for the attempts was lineman Phil Hansen — a native of Oakes, N.D. — who went on to play pro football with the Buffalo Bills. Hansen now lives in Detroit Lakes.

“Wearing a ring as part of the 1988 Division II national title team is something really special,” Boe said. “What a year — winning the national title and going unbeaten on the season.”

Kevin did just fine. He's a member of one of the truly great teams in Bison history. Those teams didn't need a kicker. That's a rather amazing statement for any football team. The '88 team could have skipped extra points.

TheDoctor
12-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Just for a little further info....Kevin is the general manager for Courts Plus here in Fargo now. As a Park Board member we sit on 2-3 committees and one I sit on is Courts Plus (Park District owns it). So, I have seen 1st hand the great work Kevin has done since taking over. I'll be sure to let him know about the article incase he hasn't seen it. ;)