PDA

View Full Version : Trouble???

BisonBud
12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Rumor of some girls that have quit the team. Is there trouble in paradise?

lakesbison
12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
ok.. names? then Ill find out

Tessa Wilka. Home Sick. Lakes OUT!

BisonBud
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I heard Wilka but more for the reason of they pulled her redshirt and then didn't get to play

Aslo two more but I will let the names come out on their own.

bisonpride2k
12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Team is mediocore and would struggle with the top NCC and NSIC teams. Players continually quit the team year in and year out now. I already stired the pot a month ago on the coaching subject but its just continual. There must be reasons why this is continually happening. The program is not going to get any better if things stay the way they are.

BisonBud
12-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I would say that if they stay the same they will get worse....

They either need to change the way they coach/deal with things or a major change needs to take place.

Greenie
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm not saying my following point is the issue in this case, but....

When you can have 15 scholarship players, girls should be redshirted as freshmen unless the coaches plan for them to play significant minutes. The redshirt year does not seem to be utilized for women's BB at NDSU. Look at what it does for FB and men's BB, there's no reason why it shouldn't be any different in this case. No one wants to use 25% of their eligibility sitting on the bench.

tcbison
12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info Greenie! I haven't seen you post on Bisonville in quite a while. I hope all is well! Go Bison!

Bison bison
12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
damn.

bisonhusker
12-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't really follow the women, but they yanked her schollie and now she isn't playing? OUCH. That is why I am glad Carlson is redshirting for the men.

bisonpride2k
12-18-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm not saying my following point is the issue in this case, but....

When you can have 15 scholarship players, girls should be redshirted as freshmen unless the coaches plan for them to play significant minutes. The redshirt year does not seem to be utilized for women's BB at NDSU. Look at what it does for FB and men's BB, there's no reason why it shouldn't be any different in this case. No one wants to use 25% of their eligibility sitting on the bench.

The last few players that we have had with any sense of wow factor as a Freshman were Gherke(sp i think), Lorenz, and Froelich. Everyone else showed nothing that waranted not being redshirted. That 5th year can do wonders.

bisongirl
12-18-2007, 12:47 PM
It has been announced that Tessa will be returning home to Sioux Falls. She has said that she will be transferring schools, but hasn't decided where she will be going yet.

DORMIE
12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Things won't be getting any better for the Womens Program until the updated facilities are announced. At a meeting yesterday, an athletic department employee mentioned that the 2 athletes that just signed with Iowa had a problem with our facilities. If we get the Dome addition and the BSA renovation, we'll be in hog heaven.

gobison1
12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree that the facility changes will do wonders for us but a change at the top is a must.

bisonpride2k
12-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree that the facility changes will do wonders for us but a change at the top is a must.

+++++Agree

imabison
12-18-2007, 07:19 PM
See the comments on the new arena in the Our House thread.

BlueKeyAlum
12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't really follow the women, but they yanked her schollie and now she isn't playing? OUCH. That is why I am glad Carlson is redshirting for the men.

I sincerely doubt this story is as one sided as all this. Amy's maintained as solid a reputation as any coach at NDSU for being forthright and student centered. There may have been style clashes with players and there may have been really frank discussions about a players prosepcts about playing but I have not heard of Amy conducting any shady dealings regarding students.

jackrabbit1979
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Interesting reading this old thread about Tessa's signing in light of these new developments. She was lauded as a great recruit by many, including some non-bison fans. Wonder where our old friend SDSUHuskies is now, he was a big Tessa Wilka fan. I hope things turn out all right for her and she latches on at another school. Augie might be the front-runner for her if she wants to be closer to home.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8525

bisonpride2k
12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I sincerely doubt this story is as one sided as all this. Amy's maintained as solid a reputation as any coach at NDSU for being forthright and student centered. There may have been style clashes with players and there may have been really frank discussions about a players prosepcts about playing but I have not heard of Amy conducting any shady dealings regarding students.

Why does this keep happening then year after year at a % rate much higher then any other sport? I seriously question some things after I took a look at the roster. There are currently 7 guards listed on the roster. Three of them are freshman. NONE of the 7 are redshirting! Where is the playing time going to come for 7 guards even if a 3 guard lineup is used regularily like it is. Anyone else see a recipe for problems with that? Its just one more example in a line of problems.

BlueKeyAlum
12-19-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong about having three frosh guards on the roster when you have three senior guards on the roster. You have your next generation in place learning from the upperclass. That's ideal I would think, unless you have some chemistry issues. As far as redshirting some of those backcourt players, 5 of those guards are routinely seeing action. Again, I don't think that in and of itself is a bad thing.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong about having three frosh guards on the roster when you have three senior guards on the roster. You have your next generation in place learning from the upperclass. That's ideal I would think, unless you have some chemistry issues. As far as redshirting some of those backcourt players, 5 of those guards are routinely seeing action. Again, I don't think that in and of itself is a bad thing.

Wow. You just explained everything EXACTLY why it is going wrong right now. You are right to have three guards as freshman as well as seniors. A great situation, but if those freshman are not going to get playing time then they need to redshirt to get exactly what you talked about in learning from the older players as well as learn the system. They will make more of an impact as 5th year seniors on the team then true freshman. As you said with a 3 guard system 5 of those guards are seeing action. Then why not redshirt the other 2. It is common sense as a coach at the college level. Something she apparantely cant grasp. At the most teams usually have a rotation of 8-10 players, that leaves 6 players that hardly ever play on the roster. If the freshman is not an impact player that is deserving of 20 minutes a game if not more.. then they need to redshirt. It is better for the player and better for the program, especially since we are not playoff eligible.

jackrabbit1979
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Augie it is for Wilka:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071219/SPORTS01/712190331/1002/SPORTS

lakesbison
12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
good luck with that.. maybe home sick

yea.. sioux falls... what a place to miss..... my god.

gobison1
12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow. You just explained everything EXACTLY why it is going wrong right now. You are right to have three guards as freshman as well as seniors. A great situation, but if those freshman are not going to get playing time then they need to redshirt to get exactly what you talked about in learning from the older players as well as learn the system. They will make more of an impact as 5th year seniors on the team then true freshman. As you said with a 3 guard system 5 of those guards are seeing action. Then why not redshirt the other 2. It is common sense as a coach at the college level. Something she apparantely cant grasp. At the most teams usually have a rotation of 8-10 players, that leaves 6 players that hardly ever play on the roster. If the freshman is not an impact player that is deserving of 20 minutes a game if not more.. then they need to redshirt. It is better for the player and better for the program, especially since we are not playoff eligible.

I could not agree more!!!! ++++++++++++++++++++

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
good luck with that.. maybe home sick

yea.. sioux falls... what a place to miss..... my god.

Lakes... its obviously a public excuse and good for local use in the paper. The real reason is listed in the same article....

"Wilka appeared in one game for North Dakota State (3-5), playing six minutes and going 0-for-1 from the field in a 70-53 loss to Fairfield on Nov. 24."

Then I read this at the bottom of the article...

"We're extremely disappointed about Tessa leaving," said NDSU head coach Amy Ruley. "We believed she had a bright future in the Bison program, but it was her desire to return home to Sioux Falls."

If she had a bright future then do one of two things... PLAY HER or REDSHIRT HER! Dont let her sit and waste away an entire year of eligibility. Amy clearly has no clue how to create a sense of vision for the future in a player. If you think they are going to be an impact for you in the future but not at the present then feed them that idea and the best way to do that is through redshirting because it shows that you value their ability to play the game and how important they are to the future of the program by having them in a situation where they will be able to showcase their abilities with more playing time after they lose several seniors this year. Most athletes are open to the idea of redshirting if you give then a view of the bigger picture and how it is benneficial to them. Now one thing we dont know is if she promised that she would play as a freshman while she was being recruited which is a major mistake.

NorCalJack
12-19-2007, 08:32 PM
You have to remember that this is the transfer season. It happens every year at this time. It is really tough to transfer in the middle of a semester, so most people transfer between semesters. If you are sitting on the bench or things aren't going the way you would hope, then you have to consider transfering. In this case she is transfering down a level to D-II and she can still play this year and have 3 years left.

I don't think this one incident is a sign of trouble for your program. You have to remember that in the D-1 world it is easy to transfer down a level. In the old NCC days, teams would get transfers all the time. Now we are on the flip side and players may leave to go down a level to get more playing time.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
You have to remember that this is the transfer season. It happens every year at this time. It is really tough to transfer in the middle of a semester, so most people transfer between semesters. If you are sitting on the bench or things aren't going the way you would hope, then you have to consider transfering. In this case she is transfering down a level to D-II and she can still play this year and have 3 years left.

I don't think this one incident is a sign of trouble for your program. You have to remember that in the D-1 world it is easy to transfer down a level. In the old NCC days, teams would get transfers all the time. Now we are on the flip side and players may leave to go down a level to get more playing time.

From the Argus Leader... "The 6-foot freshman guard, a two-time all-state pick, is in the process of enrolling at her new school and hopes to suit up for the Vikings in 2008-09."

This is not one incident. This is happening more then once every year. It has become a continual trend the past 6 years including players that are receiving considerable playing time. It displays problems at the top which may not be visible to the general public. Or else they would not be continually happening.

BlueKeyAlum
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Players transfer all the time. They transfer from programs like UCONN (which lost an entire class), Duke , and Tennessee, and they transfer from programs like Idaho. And they transfer for a number of different reasons, including not liking the coaching staff, not being the big fish in the pond, and being homesick. Having players leave the program is not atypical of collegiate women's sports.

Papa Wilka says his daughter missed Sioux Falls. Despite some claims to the contrary, that stands good enough for me.

lakesbison
12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
ya. I agree bisonpride2k.

but still... the bottom line with most of the girls in particular is this.... MATURITY. grow up, my god, live with your decisions, albeit some bad, some good.. (AND YES IM INCLUDING MYSELF IN THAT!)

we've had a few people (MEN players at NDSU as well) run home to mommy/daddy.

its laughable to me.

BisonBud
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I started this thread and believe me she will not be the only one. There is trouble brewing.

The top is the problem. Success at one level doesn't mean that success is going to be easy at every level. She had got into a groove in recruiting, coaching style, practices, and even her communication with the girls and to get to the next level that groove is heading in the wrong direction. She did a wonderful job, but a great junior high coach isn't always a great varsity coach.

lakesbison
12-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Im a RULEY backer, she's a great person and I always respected her and her staff..

read my last post about girls and kids in general .. if they cant cut that.. THEN DONT GO THRU THE RECRUITING PROCESS AND WASTE OUR FREAKIN TIME!!

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Lakes... Just because she may be a great person doesnt make her a great coach. This has nothing to do with the girls. This is a continual problem that has been going on every year for about the past 5 at least. Amy was successful because NDSU was proactive in supporting their womens programs to its fullest before anyone else was even close. She could buy any player she wanted with a full scholarship while everyone else was offering at best a 1/4 or maybe a 1/2. Where would you go? Once the other schools followed, things havent been so easy since she has actually had to recruit players with equal scholarship $. It is easy to retain a payer when they are on full schollie and no one else can offer that if they leave. Now other programs can do that. Fact is she cant coach and is a product of this school being at the forefront of creating opportunity in womens athletics.

BisonBud
12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
It is bad enough that she may not have a team next year. Have fun backing her without players....

Bison"FANatic"
12-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I have been told by more than one person that Amy got the short end of the stick in this transition to D1. I was not in a position to probe further when I was told this. Can any of you with more knowledge on the subject explain. Was the money cut or something? Just curious.

MN_BISON
12-20-2007, 08:45 PM
It is bad enough that she may not have a team next year. Have fun backing her without players....

How close are you to the program? That's a pretty big statement BB, I'm not calling you out, but damn, that is a pretty powerful statement and I sure as hell hope it doesn't have legs.

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Short end? How? It was stated in the forum last week that their budget is near $800,000. That is over double some of the other programs in the athletic department with half as many athletes. Money was not cut what so ever. There budget has increased continually. Her salary has gone up as well over $100,000. Lynn makes sure that Amy gets what she wants. There is no truth to that. The short end of the stick is that she has to compete against schools that have a full alotment of scholarships like she does. She is no longer the only one that has money.

bisonpride2k
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
How close are you to the program? That's a pretty big statement BB, I'm not calling you out, but damn, that is a pretty powerful statement and I sure as hell hope it doesn't have legs.

I know a few former players that played all four years and started that said they would never recomend a player go there. Isn't it interesting you dont hear about many pipelines from certain high schools at all like several of the other sports???

MN_BISON
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I know a few former players that played all four years and started that said they would never recomend a player go there. Isn't it interesting you dont hear about many pipelines from certain high schools at all like several of the other sports???

Why? Is it just because they didn't like Amy and the way she coaches/deals with players or was it something else? Locker room issues with other players?

BlueKeyAlum
12-20-2007, 10:43 PM

Amy does have a pipeline with the Minnesota Stars AAU organization:

Angela Mayo
Megan Shea
Dani Heintzelman
Amanda Krenz
Amy Kallemeyn
Whitney Trecker
Rachelle Eckman

Yo
12-21-2007, 12:30 AM
My 2 cents (it might not be worth that much) is Amy was not excited about the move to DI. We were the big fish in a small pond in DII and now we are at a more "even" level with everybody else. Which means she actually has to go out and "recruit" which might not be her strong point.

bisonpride2k
12-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Amy does have a pipeline with the Minnesota Stars AAU organization:

Angela Mayo
Megan Shea
Dani Heintzelman
Amanda Krenz
Amy Kallemeyn
Whitney Trecker
Rachelle Eckman

Thats not a pipeline. A pipeline is from a specific school. AAU coaches only have an association with the players where an actual high school coach has alot deeper relationship with the athlete and their family where in some cases has developed over 4+ years. In the situation with AAU you may have a coach who is only worried about the level of play the athlete is going and really doesnt get any post AAU team feedback from the player about a program. They just want to send them to the highest program possible. Where as the high school coach and program will see that athlete over the summer or while home on break for a holiday and bumps into their parents now and then to hear how things are really going. Future players will talk to that athlete that they used to watch or play with growing up in that community and get their opinion. AAU teams draw so many players from so many different places you wont hear the real dirt on a program like you will in a specific school. A pipeline is having players consistantly come from a school like football has with the town in Wisconsin where Hyland coaches.

bisonpride2k
12-21-2007, 01:39 AM
My 2 cents (it might not be worth that much) is Amy was not excited about the move to DI. We were the big fish in a small pond in DII and now we are at a more "even" level with everybody else. Which means she actually has to go out and "recruit" which might not be her strong point.

++++++ She wasnt excited about going DI because of ego and victories. Why do you think she scheduled an all DII schedule when the rest of the teams took on the challenge and got handed to them. Meanwhile she had a team that went 20 something and 2 to pad her win total against DII schools and what might as well have been the whole DAC conference. As you said it has become obvious she can not recruit and if she had an even paying field in the early 90's, we woudnt have a national title.

BlueKeyAlum
12-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Thats not a pipeline. A pipeline is from a specific school. AAU coaches only have an association with the players where an actual high school coach has alot deeper relationship with the athlete and their family where in some cases has developed over 4+ years. In the situation with AAU you may have a coach who is only worried about the level of play the athlete is going and really doesnt get any post AAU team feedback from the player about a program. They just want to send them to the highest program possible. Where as the high school coach and program will see that athlete over the summer or while home on break for a holiday and bumps into their parents now and then to hear how things are really going. Future players will talk to that athlete that they used to watch or play with growing up in that community and get their opinion. AAU teams draw so many players from so many different places you wont hear the real dirt on a program like you will in a specific school. A pipeline is having players consistantly come from a school like football has with the town in Wisconsin where Hyland coaches.

How many high schools really produce a steady stream of Division I talent? Really, unless you've got a lot of transferring going on most high school teams have one or two top notch kids on any given team. And few high school teams year in and year out produce the talent to compete at the Divison One level. Check out when most of the coaches are hitting the recruiting trail: it's when AAU competition is going on. You have the top kids, palying against other top kids. It doesn't make sense establish a pipeline with a high school when you get a drip every 4-5 years when you can conenct with an AAU team and get top level talent every year.

BlueKeyAlum
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
++++++ She wasnt excited about going DI because of ego and victories. Why do you think she scheduled an all DII schedule when the rest of the teams took on the challenge and got handed to them. Meanwhile she had a team that went 20 something and 2 to pad her win total against DII schools and what might as well have been the whole DAC conference. As you said it has become obvious she can not recruit and if she had an even paying field in the early 90's, we woudnt have a national title.

Seriously, what crawled up yours and died?

You've taken shots at Ruley every chance you get more than eager to jump on negative topics. You've criticized her coaching, her recruiting, her integrity, her honesty. You've a serious axe to grind. And never do you jump on a thread to congratulate the team when they do well.

bisonpride2k
12-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Seriously, what crawled up yours and died?

You've taken shots at Ruley every chance you get more than eager to jump on negative topics. You've criticized her coaching, her recruiting, her integrity, her honesty. You've a serious axe to grind. And never do you jump on a thread to congratulate the team when they do well.

What have they done well yet? They played a solid game against Minnesota behind the play of three players who played out of their minds. I will give them credit for that. Other then that their 5 wins have come against 1 NAIA and 4 DI's with a combined 5-26 record. It is called accountability. Every other head coach in that athletic department is held acountable with the exception of Amy. Zaundra has two bad seasons at the begining of the transition and gets canned. Babich has a down year and gets run out of town. Had Miles not had a great recruiting class he wouldnt be on his way to Colorado State but hoping he has a good year so he doesnt get the axe.

I had great respect for Amy for years until a few things added up. #1 I got a first hand look at her coaching when i took her coaching class (I will explain further if you like). #2 We go division I, everyone is challenged by the AD to schedule DI opponents in our first year out of the NCC, Amy hides and schedules 2 filling the rest with DII and NAIA while everyone else has at least 75% of their schedule DI and takes their lumps to better the program and bring visibility of NDSU to the rest of DI. #3 Knowing several players that played on the team years back and in the recent few years. There are so many stories that do not deserve repeating.

Accountability. Everyone else has to live up to it, but when the Mens basketball coach gets a raise because he does a good job and is trying to be lured away, she gets a raise as well because it is in her contract to get one when the mens coach does, not because she actually deserved it.

bisonpride2k
12-21-2007, 04:30 PM
How many high schools really produce a steady stream of Division I talent? Really, unless you've got a lot of transferring going on most high school teams have one or two top notch kids on any given team. And few high school teams year in and year out produce the talent to compete at the Divison One level. Check out when most of the coaches are hitting the recruiting trail: it's when AAU competition is going on. You have the top kids, palying against other top kids. It doesn't make sense establish a pipeline with a high school when you get a drip every 4-5 years when you can conenct with an AAU team and get top level talent every year.

Again you missed my point. Obviously AAU tournaments are the best places to see the best players in the region at one time. There is one DI school in MN and one DI team in ND and one in SD. So a kid that has hopes of playing DI basketball (which is why they are playing AAU) has few choices. My point is you dont see players comming from the same school rarely ever. Yes you may not get a player every year with that level of play but there are enough large schools within 4 hours of here that you think you may see a little more of a trail of players because of positive relationships developed with high schools coaches and former players who are from there also spreading a positive word. You just dont see it like you do with so many of the other sports at NDSU.

Ivy
12-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Interesting discussion. Obviously some Amy Ruley fans and those who do not like her at all.

My two cents -- I think her main problem is recruiting and not being able to get the quality players to come to NDSU. Once she has some talent, she can obviously motivate them and get them to perform to their highest level, as that was evident in her DII Championship Days. Now, she only has mediocre players that are truly not D-I mid-major players. There are a few players on the team or at least some who show flashes of being able to play up to that level, but that isn't good enough. The Bison need a whole team of legit D-I players and ones are consistently playing up to that level, then I would like to see what she does.

Problem is, she isn't bring those players in, so we will never know what her true coaching capabilities are at this level. A couple of solutions -- Either get an outstanding recruiting coordinator that appeals and can relate to high school girls and have Ruley be able to seal the deal OR get rid of the current coaching staff and get a dynamic head coach who can recruit on her/his own.

Mr. Burgundy
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
You are only as good as the players you have...and she has no talent. I would say she needs an entirely new staff. A group of electric coaches that can go into a living room and RECRUIT!!!! Right now, we aren't getting anyone.

d3boys
12-24-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree that we might need a little new blood, not necessarily the head coach, but maybe a new hungry excitable assistant

99Bison
12-24-2007, 02:04 AM
I agree that we might need a little new blood, not necessarily the head coach, but maybe a new hungry excitable assistant

Isn't this what the new Molly M is for?

bisonpride2k
12-24-2007, 06:23 AM
You are only as good as the players you have...and she has no talent. I would say she needs an entirely new staff. A group of electric coaches that can go into a living room and RECRUIT!!!! Right now, we aren't getting anyone.

Its basketball. There are maybe 3-4 recruits a year that they sign. Shouldnt this fall on the head of the head coach and not the assistants. The final say is Amy and the reason why kids attend a school is because of the head coach. If they dont have a good relatonship with the head coach they wont go there. Maybe thats what the problem is. Amy is worn out (she has had alot off off the court things to deal with) and is not getting after the players. If that is the case we definately need new blood then before this program really goes down hill.

SDbison
12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Its basketball. There are maybe 3-4 recruits a year that they sign. Shouldnt this fall on the head of the head coach and not the assistants. The final say is Amy and the reason why kids attend a school is because of the head coach. If they dont have a good relatonship with the head coach they wont go there. Maybe thats what the problem is. Amy is worn out (she has had alot off off the court things to deal with) and is not getting after the players. If that is the case we definately need new blood then before this program really goes down hill.
I agree. Seems like Amy has distanced herself from the recruiting process. All the championships in the 90's mean nothing now. SDSU has all sorts of momentum and NDSU looks sick. Between Amy, the poor recruiting and the high school like gym, I don't know which is more to blame. All I can say is it's time to make some changes!

bisoneer
12-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey Bud quit your bickering and rumor starting and lets move on, Wilke was a freshman and homesick and didnt like the pine so we move on. The meat of the conf. schedule is coming up, lets all enjoy the SUMMIT Conference and see where the chips fall. Do evaluations at the end of the season NOT NOW.

Why dont you go ride someone elses butt for a while, like T. Jackson.

BisBison
12-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Bud quit your bickering and rumor starting and lets move on, Wilke was a freshman and homesick and didnt like the pine so we move on. The meat of the conf. schedule is coming up, lets all enjoy the SUMMIT Conference and see where the chips fall. Do evaluations at the end of the season NOT NOW.

++++++++++++++

bisonpride2k
12-25-2007, 07:16 PM

What rumor starting? Everything i have stated on this topic has been fact and backed by statistics. Fact... we have 7 guards on this team. Fact... Wilke is a true freshman. Fact... at most you can get by with 3 guards playing on the court at one time. Fact... Wilke was not getting to see the court. So with all of those obvious facts to even a novice follower of basketball then why is she not redshirting like every other program does with freshman who will not make an immediate impact. I know the answer but i dont want to start any more "rumors". If you get treated like that obviously you are going to leave.

Every other program is held to a higher standard, even the ones that are funded at half the level of their competition. Meanwhile one of our fully funded programs should get a pass? How many more end of seasons do you need to make a judgement. We are in the same conference as SDSU. I think that game last year at the BSA should be more then enough to provide notice that we are no where close (and the return trip to SDSU as well). Its been 11 years since she won a title. Rocky got 4 years and he was run out of town. Babich got 2 after his national semi final game. So how long does she get?

I think the biggest example of all of it is that there are hardly ANY responses to this topic. You are the 4th person to actually respond what so ever. (I try stiring the pot a little to get some response and feeling out there and no one says anything) Which is even more of an example that the womens basketball team is completely off the radar of most fans.

SlickVic
12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
the womens basketball team is completely off the radar of most fans.

miss walseths been on my radar the entire first semester ;)

bisoneer
12-25-2007, 08:50 PM
That's really nice to let all of us know that Mr. Vic.

Now as for Ruley, she will know when the time is right to retire or move on and SU has a lot of respect for her (i think) so they are letting it ride.

SDbison
12-25-2007, 11:42 PM
That's really nice to let all of us know that Mr. Vic.

Now as for Ruley, she will know when the time is right to retire or move on and SU has a lot of respect for her (i think) so they are letting it ride.
The AD might have to put her in early retirement if things continue with the downward spiral.

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
You can't run a business on "what did you do for me ten years ago". The results lately speak for themselves. It pains me to say it but it may be time to get a some new blood into the program as a head coach. I am interested to see how things end up after the conference season. Where will we stack up against the rest of the Summit? That will give us a idea of where the program is at. Unfortunately I want to see the Bison have great success, Now is the time to step up or step aside.

BlueKeyAlum
12-26-2007, 04:58 PM
You can't run a business on "what did you do for me ten years ago". The results lately speak for themselves. It pains me to say it but it may be time to get a some new blood into the program as a head coach. I am interested to see how things end up after the conference season. Where will we stack up against the rest of the Summit? That will give us a idea of where the program is at. Unfortunately I want to see the Bison have great success, Now is the time to step up or step aside.

I would see where we're at after a couple of seasons in the conference. We're transitioning to Division One from Division Two. That's a huge change and how many schools make that transition without missing a beat. People point to SDSU and the success they had making it to the WNIT next season. But what if that's the anamoly.

There have been comments that in addition to not having the success on the court that we had in the past we also have players transferring and that that is a sign of poor coaching. Guess what..we're Division One and we're going to see transfers now at a higher rate. And its going to be because of playing time, and its going to be because of homesickness, or any of a myriad of reasons. But the majority of schools have players transferring.

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I would see where we're at after a couple of seasons in the conference. We're transitioning to Division One from Division Two. That's a huge change and how many schools make that transition without missing a beat. People point to SDSU and the success they had making it to the WNIT next season. But what if that's the anamoly.

There have been comments that in addition to not having the success on the court that we had in the past we also have players transferring and that that is a sign of poor coaching. Guess what..we're Division One and we're going to see transfers now at a higher rate. And its going to be because of playing time, and its going to be because of homesickness, or any of a myriad of reasons. But the majority of schools have players transferring.

I agree I hope she gets the program turned around though. We should be able to compete very well at this level. How long do you feel we give her to do this. I feel we should be able to see improvement in 2 seasons or we have to start asking ourselves? Is the right person at the helm of this ship?

bisonpride2k
12-28-2007, 06:57 PM

Transfering is nothing new beyond the DI level. Everything you stated happens to all levels. However there has been a rash of these instances. Much more so then ever before. Having known players that played in the program all I am going to say is its not surprising. The talent level that we are seeing is sub par to where it used to be. It was at the end of our DII years as well. We were losing to Northern State and Concodria-St Paul in the regionals. Our talent level is no better now if not worse. We were fortunate for 4 years to have Lorenz carry this team on her back. Anamoly or not, they are SO far ahead its laughable. This program has been given the resources to be at that level. This program has been given the resources to not have had this be the case. Just look at the teams we have played and the talent level they possess. Alabama when they came in to the BSA was terrible and they were an SEC school. Their fundamentals were pathetic. They had 2 players that could do anything and their athleticism was suspect (their post players couldnt run). We witnessed much better athleticism from NCC opponents at the end of our NCC days. The level of play from the NCC and upper NSIC teams was at a level of being a high mid major. This should have been an easy transition in comparison to the other programs at NDSU but the downward spiral was already started 7 years ago. Soccer has done well with no history. Softball has flurished. Volleyball made huge strides. But the largest funded of the 5 has made no progress. Anything below a top 4 finish in the conference should be looked at as a failure because this is a very weak conference (24th out of 32, 3 teams still only have one win overall and two only have 3 wins overall).