http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/athletics/2007/December/15/945785.php

Ahh for the days when I shot a CSU game and didn't think 18 degrees
outside was shorts weather......

I echo what Swoll said earlier this week. It really is a miracle this team
has won 5 games. They are very young and raw. Creason had a great
game today, but really, NDSU had nobody near his size to match with,
so that was easy pickins. Once they doubled down on him the guys
around him really couldn't pick it up. I think CSU scored some thing
like just 4 points in the last 3 or 4 minutes?

Not to say Stanford, Minnesota, and Montana weren't zoos, but this
was an atmosphere I think CSU and most of the young guys hadn't
faced. People in Fargo really got amped for this game, and the players
for NDSU were jacked up. One thing to play those other three teams I
mentioned, but I'll take a guess none of those three had nearly as much
vested in this game.

That said, I was impressed CSU came back. The first half could have
really been worse than 42-30, and when they start to full court press
they turned things around. Couple of ticky-tack (homer?) calls cost
them too.

Miles really got a warm reception, moreso than I expected. The guy
basically walked on water in Fargo, but I still thought I'd hear more boos
and heckling during the game. Never did. And watching and listening
to Miles and his ex-assistant Saul Phillips coach and banter against
each other was classic. Miles said he'll have to play NDSU again so he
doesn't have to hear about today on the golf course for the rest of his
career.

Last thing I'll say is, again, have patience with this thing. Any wins we
get this year are a good thing and probably more than we deserve. I
feel bad for Miles because I never thought Layer left him THIS much of a
mess (IE transfers, legal stuff). But the guy has no regrets and is gung-
ho to build this thing up, and I think everybody around him gets it.
Losing to a really solid mid-major like NDSU is not so much the thing is
that I was really impressed with the way they came back in a hostile
environment. These guys are growing up a bit I think. Not sure how
many wins that will result in, but I'll put it down, I think they'll pull an
upset or two later in the season. And when Tim gets his guys on
board, Ram hoops will be something to watch.

GO RAMS!

NDSUguy
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I am confused by the comment about ticky-tack calls..... Does he not remember that the officiating crew for the game yesterday was from the state of Colorado???? The officials were from Littleton, CO.

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I thought there were two bad calls against CSU yesterday. There was a charging call with 12 to play in the 2nd half that wiped away and "and 1" that was pretty bad, and the tech for hanging on the rip. Horrible call. Other than those calls, I thought it was decent. The refs didn't affect the outcome....unlike the K-State game last year.

Gully
12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
One thing I've noticed this year is that they really allow body contact against a offensive player driving as long as you don't show them with your hands. Especially against Minnesota, it seemed like they'd bump us with their hips and we'd end up traveling or losing the ball after the bump. This happened in the CSU game in the second half when they made there run.

Maybe it's always been that way and I haven't noticed?

fargocyclone
12-17-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/athletics/2007/December/15/945785.php

A lot of what was said in that post was a huge compliment to our basketball team and our atmosphere. I wasn't expecting that at all from this link.

Bison"FANatic"
12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
If he would have just hung on the rim it would have been one thing but pulling him self up and turning back to the rest of the court is what got him T'd up.

I thought there were two bad calls against CSU yesterday. There was a charging call with 12 to play in the 2nd half that wiped away and "and 1" that was pretty bad, and the tech for hanging on the rip. Horrible call. Other than those calls, I thought it was decent. The refs didn't affect the outcome....unlike the K-State game last year.

IowaBisonToo
12-17-2007, 05:38 PM

I think the charging call you're referring to could have gone either way. Even though the Bison defender was moving (sideways), the CSU player really leaned into him. Pretty obvious he was trying to create the foul on the Bison defender. I don't think it was that bad.

Besides, weren't Bison fans bitching about calls the refs made the year prior????

bisonhusker
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
If you ask Miles.....the last two games in the "Rivalry" were officiated poorly! Ha.

I didn't think this was officiated that bad, a few calls could have gone either way. If you watch a bigtime game, they hang on the rim all the time. Nobody cares.

imported_Bisongold
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
There is no rule that says a defender must be stationary to draw a charge. They simply need to have position. This is the most difficult thing for fans in the stands to realize aparently. After every charging call someone invariably yells out..." he was moving!" Absolutely has no bearing on the call.

BisonBlogger
12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Not to be picky, but you are referring to a "Player Control" foul if the defender is moving. "Charge" if he is stationary.

I thought the worst "no call" in the game may have been Creason knocking down Nelson when taking it to the rim on a break out towards the end of the first half. Creason did not get ball and Nelson ended up on the floor out of bounds. Clearly a two shot foul if there ever was one. There were clearly many times CSU guards were mugging Woodside also with no calls being made.

CSU has very little to complain about as far as the officials were concerned in this game.

missingnumber7
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Not to be picky, but you are referring to a "Player Control" foul if the defender is moving. "Charge" if he is stationary.

They are actually both player control fouls moving or not.

BisonBlogger
12-19-2007, 03:46 AM
That may be, but if the defender is moving, it is definitely not a charge on the offensive player.