PDA

View Full Version : Future Bison

Mr. Burgundy
12-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Update on recruiting for people that are interested. Nagle down in Iowa is having a monster season. The coaches are very impressed with how he is playing. I heard he is averaging about 25 and 13. He is a big kid with a big frame. From what I heard, they will continually hope to redshirt incoming freshman.

Speaking of the redshirt, Carlson is doing great and could help this team today, but all coaches are very happy he is redshirting, as we are building a team for the longterm. Great signing by the Bison. He can score. It will be nice to have coming off the bench for us next season, a kid who wants to score.

The future's future: I went to watch our verbal signing down in Rothsay this week. Really LONG kid. 6'9 Junior with size 17 shoe. Lets just say he could tie his shoes while standing up, huge wingspan. The program had him listed as a 6'6 Sophomore, so I am guessing he has grown another 3 inches since last year. He plays on a really poor team (I am non trying to be rude, but just fair). That is small town MN hoops at its finest. It was a fun game to watch, but there may have been 200 turnovers. I am pretty sure they never fed him the ball in the low post, but he grabbed a bunch off offensive rebounds and can really finish. I thought he would potentially play some 3/4, but I guess he is strictly a 4, and will have about 3 years to get ready to play. This year, his senior year and a redshirt year...prior to stepping onto the court to play for the Bison. He can put on huge weight with really big shoulders. Uses both hands, can really jump, and can block shots. I was really impressed, but again...hard to judge a kid playing against lesser competition. But, I wanted to comment here in case people want to continue following his Junior/Senior season. He needs to get more agressive, but the future is bright. A great athlete. You can't teach height.

In recap, I know some people are nervous about the program after the big three graduate, but these are examples of kids that are coming in to a D1 level program. Keep up the great work recruiting! They are having alot of fun recruiting right now with the high school junior class. They have alot of schollies available.....oh, and are sitting on one right now....I know that question has been asked alot.

bisoneer
12-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Is this Nagle kid related to former bison Bob Nagle ala 1977 model??

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Nope, but hopefully he will be as good.

sambini
12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your insight Mr. B+++++++++

WePharm
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the great post Mr. Burgundy. As a Bison insider two questions:

1. Can Carlson develop into another Brett Winkelman?
2. Can our reserve guards raise their level of play to Woodside & Nelson?

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
1. With Tveidt and Carlson, our 3/4 position is in very good hands in the future.
2. I don't think we have guards on our current roster who can offensively replace Woody and Nellie at this point. They are actively recruiting high school juniors to help that position out. I know there is a combo guard in Wisco that they love. I think Freddie Coleman will be a surprise to most of the fans when he is unleashed. There isn't a ton of playing time for him right now, but someday he will flurish. Athletically, nobody better. Austin is still a very solid contributor as well....and I have seen him DOMINATE a practice, but that hasn't translated into a game...not offensively anyway, but he has it.

99Bison
12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
1. With Tveidt and Carlson, our 3/4 position is in very good hands in the future.
2. I don't think we have guards on our current roster who can offensively replace Woody and Nellie at this point. They are actively recruiting high school juniors to help that position out. I know there is a combo guard in Wisco that they love. I think Freddie Coleman will be a surprise to most of the fans when he is unleashed. There isn't a ton of playing time for him right now, but someday he will flurish. Athletically, nobody better. Austin is still a very solid contributor as well....and I have seen him DOMINATE a practice, but that hasn't translated into a game...not offensively anyway, but he has it.

Still not near buying the Tveit 3/4 thing being anything like Winkleman ever... Winks has always shown amazing ability and skill - from day one. Not seeing anything like that from Tveit. Maybe a Nelson replacement as Tveit plays shorter than he is and Nelson plays taller.

The little bit of Carlson we have seen is looking good, again a little different player than Winks current style, but does appear to potentially be able to score like him.

Agreed on FC he will be good enough at some point.

On a Winkleman note, IMO of the big 3 he is the only guy to have not reached his ceiling yet.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Winks style is so smooth he makes it look effortless.

I find myself getting frustrated with him sometime because it seems like he just doesn't play very hard, although I know that's not the case. He's just always in control.

BisBison
12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Winks style is so smooth he makes it look effortless.

I find myself getting frustrated with him sometime because it seems like he just doesn't play very hard, although I know that's not the case. He's just always in control.

I'd say he's as smooth as silk. (Sorry about the lame pun) So it doesn't look as though he is playing as hard.

Herd
12-19-2007, 02:12 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say that Carlson will end up ahead of Winks on the all time scoring list. Very excited to see Carlson as a Bison for 4 years. Next year's team will have interchangeable parts at the 3 with Winks/Carlson. His game reminds me alot of Wink's game. Good shooter, nifty around the basket, plays tall.

Tveidt needs serious strength training. Wait for next season, his progress will turn heads.

99Bison
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that Carlson will end up ahead of Winks on the all time scoring list. Very excited to see Carlson as a Bison for 4 years. Next year's team will have interchangeable parts at the 3 with Winks/Carlson. His game reminds me alot of Wink's game. Good shooter, nifty around the basket, plays tall.

Tveidt needs serious strength training. Wait for next season, his progress will turn heads.

Interchangble next year..:eek: Our best 4 year starting Senior vs. a Freshman? Carlson will need much more strength to hang down low. Last years running comment was how tveidt/winks would be interchangable this year...

May end up passing on scoring, especially if he is reliabled upon more. Hopefullly so!

Tveidt had one year of strength training, is one more year going to be enough? Hope so.

Jdubs21
12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
are u guys forgetting that we are not a big tough physical team????.....strictly a fast offensive team....lets face it, if we dont put up 70+ points its gonna be tough for us to win, there is nothing wrong with that style either....take a look at villanova they usually have 3 to 4 point guards runnin the floor all game

onbison09
12-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Great insight as always Mr. B. I agree with continuing the redshirt freshman if it all possible. (anyone disagree?) Didn't Nagle play soccer or something or am I thinking of someone else? Does anyone else think we need more of a physical presence? (it's probably just me missing 'Dre but that has been missing this year)

ad guy
12-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I've heard the Bison are looking at Tydan Storrusten out of Pelican Rapids. I believe he is a junior guard. Good size and amazing basketball skills.

If any of you Bison rubes get a chance to watch this kid, take the opportunity, you'll want him to be a Bison!

ThunderDan
12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I've heard the Bison are looking at Tydan Storrusten out of Pelican Rapids. I believe he is a junior guard. Good size and amazing basketball skills.

If any of you Bison rubes get a chance to watch this kid, take the opportunity, you'll want him to be a Bison!

You gotta be kidding me...if NDSU is going after him, then they are basically not trying and might as well give up. There is no way this kid is a D I Mid-Major player. I am not too happy with the kind of players we have been going for/looking at lately. Lets face it, the guys we have now, Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson, Mooreman....they are good, but no where near the caliber of players that we need to contend for a shot at the Big Dance. Well, maybe Woodside, but thats about it. I mean, look at who we recruited the last couple of years. Coleman, Pennick, Vaughn, Sussenguth? Your talking about guys that should be playing at MSUM not NDSU.....If this program wants to contend for league titles and a shot at the NCAA, then they need to recruit some better players, and that is the bottom line.

Jdubs21
12-21-2007, 06:19 PM
You gotta be kidding me...if NDSU is going after him, then they are basically not trying and might as well give up. There is no way this kid is a D I Mid-Major player. I am not too happy with the kind of players we have been going for/looking at lately. Lets face it, the guys we have now, Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson, Mooreman....they are good, but no where near the caliber of players that we need to contend for a shot at the Big Dance. Well, maybe Woodside, but thats about it. I mean, look at who we recruited the last couple of years. Coleman, Pennick, Vaughn, Sussenguth? Your talking about guys that should be playing at MSUM not NDSU.....If this program wants to contend for league titles and a shot at the NCAA, then they need to recruit some better players, and that is the bottom line.

Ok do u know anything about recruiting or college basketball? do u honestly think we can go out and get 5 star recruits and load our team up with the top talent of the country, get a clue man. We arent elligible for anything, we have been D1 for 4 years, we have absolutely no tradition basketball wise. Our basketball facilities are a fricken joke as well as our fan support, yea sure alot of people read the news paper and watch the news, but how many sellout games, hell even half sellout games have u seen in the history of bison basketball, u can prolly count them on both hands. Ask yourself this ?...Do u honestly think that NDSU is the place big time players are just waiting to get an offer from?

NDSUstudent
12-21-2007, 06:26 PM

You lost all credibility after saying that, Woodside might not even be the best player on the team. If you don't think Nelson, Woodside, and Winks are players capable of getting us there you have lost it. A few of those other players you mentioned, you have a point about but recruiting is far from an exact science. Its also way too early to give up and say those players are failures. One of them has only played 11 games and is the best athlete on the team, not every player is Ben Woodside and comes out dropping 20 every night as a freshman.

lakesbison
12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Ill agree .. NDSU doesn't need to be at Pelican Rapids, unless that kid is an ABSOLUTE STAR!! (see rothsay kid.....)

Im getting frustrated, and maybe I'm thinking TOO HIGHLY of our basketball program.... but WE need to be POUNDING THE TWIN CITIES for bball recruits...

we got Carlson last year, SWEET, but we should pound out 2-3 outta there FOR SURE A YEAR!!

my 2 cents.

NDSUstudent
12-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Ill agree .. NDSU doesn't need to be at Pelican Rapids, unless that kid is an ABSOLUTE STAR!! (see rothsay kid.....)

Im getting frustrated, and maybe I'm thinking TOO HIGHLY of our basketball program.... but WE need to be POUNDING THE TWIN CITIES for bball recruits...

we got Carlson last year, SWEET, but we should pound out 2-3 outta there FOR SURE A YEAR!!

my 2 cents.

Lakes, NDSU offered two kids from Hopkins for the all important class after the Big 3 leave. I don't think NDSU is ignoring the Twin Cities.

lakesbison
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
i wasnt saying they were ignoring,,,, im saying.. Id take 5-8 kids outta the cities over ANY kid in the hinterlands up here. I mean seriously.. NDSU is a MID MAJOR!!! we need to act like one. and keep up this momentum!

NDSUstudent
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
i wasnt saying they were ignoring,,,, im saying.. Id take 5-8 kids outta the cities over ANY kid in the hinterlands up here. I mean seriously.. NDSU is a MID MAJOR!!! we need to act like one. and keep up this momentum!

Any kid, even if the kid is say Jeff Boschee. I do see what your saying lakes, the cities is our prime recruiting ground but if we get a bigtime recruit in our area Saul needs to land him. Right now we are batting 0-2, the Williston kid chose Montana and of course Dufault went to Colorado.

lakesbison
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Boschee is once in a 15 year athlete.. cmon man. i played against him alot... kid got flat out shoot

roadwarrior
12-21-2007, 10:31 PM
There might be more athletes in a big city, but there is no way that just because a guy goes to a twin cities high school means that he is a better basketball player than a guy that plays in the "hinterlands" of our area.

ThunderDan
12-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Thank you Lakes, at least someone understands that we need to go after better players....I understand that there is no tradition, bad facilities, frozen Fargo ND, all that stuff....but does anyone remember that our football team has done quite well with their transition!! yes I realize, better facilities and all that, but honestly, we need to LOOK at better players. I'm not saying that they will come to NDSU, but why are we sniffing around this kid at Pelican Rapids...and YES, I have seen him play, he is not D I material. And to whoever thinks that this team we have now is great, talk to me at the end of the season. We'll see where NDSU finishes in the Summit. I think some of you have been spoiled by the couple of upsets we have had the last two years. We also have had more than our fair share of losses to below average teams. I'm glad all of you seem to think that Pennick, Sussenguth, Coleman, Twiedt, etc. are fine recruits, because that is what we are going after by looking at some kid from pelican rapids. And i'm not knocking him because he's from a small town, I just do not think he should even be on our radar.

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2007, 12:37 AM
When you recruit to a mid major, you take some kids that you think will improve a ton. You are talking about freshman and sophomore kids. Why judge them now? You are picking on our bench? When Coleman, Tveidt and Sussengooooooose are upper classman, they will be considered good to very good players in our conference. As a big Bison fan, it disappoints me when a fan is critical of a kid who is a freshman starter. Seriously. I agree that some kids haven't panned out as planned. I was one who thought Josh Vaughn would compete for a starting job....hello. not happening. Who cares where a kid comes from, we just need to find kids who want to play for NDSU, that have a huge work ethic and have the bodies to play at the D1 level. To think that NDSU is targeting small towns instead of the Metro Market is silly. If we find a diamond (Rothsay kid) in the rough, we get him. I wish I could say all of the great stuff they have going in recruiting. There is a kid who is very close to becoming a verbal that will be a great signing.

Continue being negative. NDSU is yet to lose to a bad team all year....we just haven't beat anyone that weren't supposed to. Coaches are out recruiting non stop, and want to sign the biggest, best kids in the zone.

"All the negativety in this town sucks...." (Rick Pitino when he was with the Celtics).

Please remember that Thunder Dan doesn't like Tveidt and Coleman. Sticky note on computer. Oh, he won the Centenary game for us....I guess he is brutal, must have been from a small town.

sambini
12-22-2007, 04:19 AM
Boschee is once in a 15 year athlete.. cmon man. i played against him alot... kid got flat out shoot How many did he light up on you Lakes? I didn't realize you played in the EDC?

sambini
12-22-2007, 04:21 AM
Denver Tenbroek was from a small town. Who cares where they come from as long as they can play. Well said Mr. B+++

NDSUstudent
12-22-2007, 05:19 AM
And to whoever thinks that this team we have now is great, talk to me at the end of the season. We'll see where NDSU finishes in the Summit.

We'll see but there is no way I'd bet against them.

ndsubison1
12-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Lakes you have good point and I agree to an extent, but we can't ignore North Dakota. It is a must to get the big-time recruits from our home state. If we want to be successful we must get the best of the best recruits from our home state. As NDSU Student mentioned it is imperative to land a recruit like Brian Qvale and Austin Dufault. I also think NDSU missed out on James Hennessey out of Williston, he's playing at Montana St. right now, he would be our backup PG right now. Recruiting needs to start in-state. I say we should grab a ND recruit at least once every two years, three years max.

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Losing out on Qvale and Dufault was not for a lack of effort. Those kids just chose other options.

Gully
12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
When you recruit to a mid major, you take some kids that you think will improve a ton. You are talking about freshman and sophomore kids. Why judge them now? You are picking on our bench? When Coleman, Tveidt and Sussengooooooose are upper classman, they will be considered good to very good players in our conference. As a big Bison fan, it disappoints me when a fan is critical of a kid who is a freshman starter. Seriously. I agree that some kids haven't panned out as planned. I was one who thought Josh Vaughn would compete for a starting job....hello. not happening. Who cares where a kid comes from, we just need to find kids who want to play for NDSU, that have a huge work ethic and have the bodies to play at the D1 level. To think that NDSU is targeting small towns instead of the Metro Market is silly. If we find a diamond (Rothsay kid) in the rough, we get him. I wish I could say all of the great stuff they have going in recruiting. There is a kid who is very close to becoming a verbal that will be a great signing.

Continue being negative. NDSU is yet to lose to a bad team all year....we just haven't beat anyone that weren't supposed to. Coaches are out recruiting non stop, and want to sign the biggest, best kids in the zone.

"All the negativety in this town sucks...." (Rick Pitino when he was with the Celtics).

Please remember that Thunder Dan doesn't like Tveidt and Coleman. Sticky note on computer. Oh, he won the Centenary game for us....I guess he is brutal, must have been from a small town.

"the biggest, bets kids in the zone"......biggest, as in inside players? That sure would be nice. It would really help Woody and Nelson next year in they had to respect that our posts can score. IMO that is the single biggest difference between this years team and last.

Here's hoping they can land a couple 4 or 5s from the Juco ranks.

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2007, 06:20 PM
If anyone is watching the Memphis vs G'Town game, watch Joey Dorsey, kid is an athlete. He is just like Zo. He literally cannot shoot a lick, but rebounds, plays D and dunks everything he can. Total garbage man. He DOMINATED Hibbert today...who is a 7'2 lottery pick....a skilled bigman, but not nearly the athlete. I just found it ironic as we talk about size so much on here. Obviously you always want as much size as you can get, but a team like Memphis (who is a top 5 recruiter in the nation) starts an undersized front line and runs the ball non stop. Interesting. When I said that Dorsey is just like Zo, maybe I should have said that I hope Zo can be something close to Dorsey....more accurate. Fun game to watch.

SlickVic
12-22-2007, 06:27 PM
got that game on my tivo just love the close ups of big john thompson jt3 on the sidelines patrick ewing jr n when they zoom in on patrick ewing in the stands chea does doc rivers kid still play he is one goofy looking guy my oh my

ndsubison1
12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
How about Chris Douglas-Roberts, now he is a playmaker... can take it to the rack, drain the long three, knock down the close shot, and plays hard-nosed defense. Don't forget diaper dandy Derrick Rose, crazy handles and can dish it. Memphis is the best team in the country right now.

RedRiver
12-27-2007, 11:57 PM
WDAY TV had highlights of the Rothsay recruit in sports tonight. He had 23 points in a tournament game. He does look tall and could move, but quite thin.

d3boys
12-28-2007, 12:15 AM
WDAY TV had highlights of the Rothsay recruit in sports tonight. He had 23 points in a tournament game. He does look tall and could move, but quite thin.

the team also lost, you would think he could dominate a little more in small school basketball

99Bison
12-28-2007, 01:13 AM
the team also lost, you would think he could dominate a little more in small school basketball

He's been tagged as a target since day 1... For everyone wanting big men, getting them before they develop is a strategy we will probably have to employ for the near future.

Mr. Burgundy
12-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Wisco Green Bay and another school that we play, can't remember who, was already on the Rothsay kid when we got him. Remember, he is a Junior in high school, he has about 3 years until he would play for the Bison. Obviously he redshirts as a freshman in Fargo. You can't teach his size and skill...but he is thin...with big shoulders. He has easy ability to grow into his frame. I look forward to watching him tomorrow afternoon at Concordia.....but, his team is beyond brutal. Seriously, they struggle to cross half court and they don't pound him the ball at all.

DIBISON
02-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Bison recruit Aaberg averaging 18 and 11 as a junior.

McFeely has a column on him.

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/?blog=21413

WildBill
02-17-2008, 01:28 AM
There might be more athletes in a big city, but there is no way that just because a guy goes to a twin cities high school means that he is a better basketball player than a guy that plays in the "hinterlands" of our area.

To a point. Cities kids have AAU and the Pulley league. Kids going against Pro's,former pro's and good college kids is an invalueble experience for kids

Mr. Burgundy
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Jordan plays AAU......you don't have to live in the cities to play AAU.

WildBill
02-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Jordan plays AAU......you don't have to live in the cities to play AAU.

Right,but you do to play the Pulley league. Both are good ways to improve your game

Swat_Team10
02-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Mr. Burgandy, Please give ALL of us some idea of what the current recruiting landscape is for Bison Basketball. From your previous statements on this board you usually have some great info for us regarding recruiting. I know many people, including myself would like to see a Junior College post, however I think we would all agree to simply see one, and maybe two impact post players enter the program next season! Is the High school player from Iowa good enough to start? or even beat ZO or Sam out for playing time? Heck Lucas for that matter! Andre was talented, and I know you mentioned that a player "comes around every so often". Well a player like that needs to come often next season or I fear for not necesarly another five hundred record season, BUT a clear falling short of making a NCAA tourney run.

Mr. Burgundy
02-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I sent you a PM. I can promise you this...the coaches wanted to sweep this weekend reallly bad leading into a rivalry game with Brookings. If they could run those three off going into the Oral Roberts weekend, I think our season would look pretty solid. As of now, we are the "what might have been" team with a missing link.

Clearly we need a big. No secret. I just think that everyone wants a 6'10 kid that dominates....clearly those kids go bigtime. Look at Jordan in Rothsay, if we didn't get him early, some big program would take a chance on him. We need a 6'6 kid with a mean streak the size of the Fargo Dome.

Is there a kid in the summit that we physically can't stop down low? Maybe, but not many. I just want a mean kid that is going to shake some things up.

I am venting, I didn't even want to post. I know the coaches are beating the streets...that is about all I can say right now.

bison_05
02-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Right,but you do to play the Pulley league. Both are good ways to improve your game

didn't jeff boschee from valley city play in the pulley league as a high schooler? thats as far from the city as you can get.

bisonhusker
02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
At this point, if you want to play in college, and you have the drive to improve...they will find you/you will find them. AAU is everywhere. The kid from Kildeer played....and that is about as hard to get to as anywhere. Who cares where they are from. That is so old.

sambini
02-18-2008, 06:26 PM
didn't jeff boschee from valley city play in the pulley league as a high schooler? thats as far from the city as you can get.Yes he did.