PDA

View Full Version : Bob Backlund

fightinbison
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Just saw Bob Backlund on WWE Raw Anniversary Show, anyone remember Bob or are all you guys too young.....?

fargocyclone
12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Just saw Bob Backlund on WWE Raw Anniversary Show, anyone remember Bob or are all you guys too young.....?

Apparently, Way too young!!

fightinbison
12-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Apparently, Way too young!!

Wrestled for NDSU in the 70's both him and Brad Reighans went on to become World Champions in the life of "Professional Wrestling"

fargocyclone
12-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Wrestled for NDSU in the 70's both him and Brad Reighans went on to become World Champions in the life of "Professional Wrestling"

Born in '86! Not gonna have a clue! :D

Bisonguy
12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Crossface Chickenwing!!!

sambini
12-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Pl Might Have Played Football With Him Also?

SirHinn
12-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Definately not too young if of course your referring to the glory days of watching him wrestling for the WWF in the 80's :D.

56BISON73
12-11-2007, 04:33 AM
Pl Might Have Played Football With Him Also?
Bob was before me but I knew him. Hes a really nice guy. I cant remember the year but we ran into each other and in conversation he said he was in professional wrestling asked me if I was interested. LOL If I only knew then.:D PL

aces1180
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
My dad lived in Jockbridge with him and used to toss back a few beers once in a while. He is also a Bison Hall of Famer.

BlueBisonRock
12-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Remember him from both FB and wrestling. I really enjoyed his 'transformation' from a quiet nice guy to an animal when he competed. He had some serious intensity.

TheDoctor
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
They brought him back in the early 1990's as a sort of an "oddity" so to speak. He wore a suit and bow tie and was off his rocker, actually was "running for president" although I don't know if he really did. Wasn't he a senator for the state he lives in though? I dated a girl back in college who was from Lisbon. Bob was her uncle (her mom is Bob's sister) so I heard a few things about him. I remember talking to Bucky after he did that stint where he wore the bowtie and acted looney and Bucky could not believe it was true. ;)

Buck0
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Bob was Bucky's 2nd National Champion at 190# in 1971. Bill Demaray was Bucky's 1rst National Champ, one weight class ahead of Bob in 1971. Bill was a two time National Champ at 177# [1971-1972] in Div.11 and finished 6th in 1971 in the Div.1 Nationals. Bill wrestled for Casselton, ND High School. Bob had the name--Baby Face Bob Backlund.

d3boys
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I think I have a little more respect for his college wrestling days than his wwf or wwe or wwwhatever. I am old enough to have been able to watch him in college and he was fun to watch as were some of the other phenomenal wrestlers bucky has had.

devin45k
12-14-2007, 04:47 AM
I actually am a pro wrestling fan and I kinda freaked when I saw him on their. He deserved to be their since he had the longest WWE champ title reign in WWE history.

Definitely an awesome thing to say about an alumni of NDSU

Just think of all the big name champs:
Hulk Hogan
the Rock
Steve Austin
Bret Hart
Brock Lesnar

onbison09
12-17-2007, 03:20 AM
How do they decide the champions? Is it who sells the most tickets, PPV buys, etc? No disrespect towards pro wrestling b/c it is hard and those guys put themselves into it. That being said I would much reather watch real wrestling than fake wrestling.

56BISON73
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
How do they decide the champions? Is it who sells the most tickets, PPV buys, etc? No disrespect towards pro wrestling b/c it is hard and those guys put themselves into it. That being said I would much reather watch real wrestling than fake wrestling.

They are fantastic athletes. But remember its all entertainment with predetermined story lines. Its really an artform that goes back many years. PL

SlickVic
12-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Bob was before me but I knew him. Hes a really nice guy. I cant remember the year but we ran into each other and in conversation he said he was in professional wrestling asked me if I was interested. LOL If I only knew then.:D PL

LOL if PL. only knew then that his days in the wwf would not actually consist of wrestling but carrying around an urn and acting as the manager for the undertaker he may have chosen a different career in life...for those who may not know- pat played paul bearer in the 1990s

TheDoctor
12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
LOL if PL. only knew then that his days in the wwf would not actually consist of wrestling but carrying around an urn and acting as the manager for the undertaker he may have chosen a different career in life...for those who may not know- pat played paul bearer in the 1990s

:rofl: Slick Vic!!!!!! Your terrible! :rofl:

Bisonguy
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM

LOL- If you're going to call out people for what they've done in the past, at least admit to what you've done-

http://prefixmag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/icy_hot_stuntaz.jpg

Anyone care to guess which one is SlickVic?????

56BISON73
12-18-2007, 12:36 AM

Whose Paul Bearer????
If you knew how much those supposed managers make you wouldnt have shown your ignorance on the subject. But considering that its you-----
:D PL

devin45k
12-19-2007, 05:20 AM

It pretty much is given to whoever is in the top 3 people in the Wrestling company. They give it to the most popular, most of the time best wrestler technique-wise, charisma, and mainly whoever can carry the company on its back.

He was the all-time best technical wrestler. But what would you expect....He was one the greatest Bison wrestlers. The only thing that even cut his title reign shorter was that he wasn't that good on the mic.

SlickVic
12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
i can play the picture game to...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/JoePa324/PL.jpg PL.

UTH
12-19-2007, 09:26 PM
LOL- If you're going to call out people for what they've done in the past, at least admit to what you've done-

http://prefixmag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/icy_hot_stuntaz.jpg

Anyone care to guess which one is SlickVic?????

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/LipstickGangsta.jpg

dey aint real gangstaz, yo daz jst too perfeshnal pic now whaam sayin

slick got no equil he roll wit da M - dey be da money $tunta$

extremerouge
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/LipstickGangsta.jpg

dey aint real gangstaz, yo daz jst too perfeshnal pic now whaam sayin

slick got no equil he roll wit da M - dey be da money $tunta$
wow.......

sambini
12-23-2007, 06:35 AM
What does Bob Backland do now ?

TheDoctor
12-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Bucky would know. I'll ask him at work after we get back from break. ;)

sambini
12-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks B1SON++++

aces1180
02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Bucky would know. I'll ask him at work after we get back from break. ;)

I'm working on a story about Bob for Bison Illustrated right now...

BlueBisonRock
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm looking forward to reading it!

Bisonguy
02-07-2008, 12:47 AM

Glad my suggestion was considered......

sambini
02-07-2008, 02:46 AM
When will it be printed Aces?

bisongirl
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
It will be in either the March or April issue.

sambini
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Another former Bison wrestler Brad Rheigans would make a good story too? He was in pro wrestling also. I believe now he trains them in the twin cities.

aces1180
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Another former Bison wrestler Brad Rheigans would make a good story too? He was in pro wrestling also. I believe now he trains them in the twin cities.

Thanks for the idea...I talked with Bucky yesterday and his name also came up.

WildBill
02-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I actually am a pro wrestling fan and I kinda freaked when I saw him on their. He deserved to be their since he had the longest WWE champ title reign in WWE history.

Definitely an awesome thing to say about an alumni of NDSU

Just think of all the big name champs:
Hulk Hogan
the Rock
Steve Austin
Bret Hart
Brock Lesnar

Bob had a long reign,but Sammartino holds the record

Trim
02-09-2008, 02:43 AM
I used to love Baron Fritz Von Raschke.

The Claw baby!

56BISON73
02-09-2008, 03:31 AM
I used to love Baron Fritz Von Raschke.

The Claw baby!

Did you know that he lives in Wabasha MN and retired as a school teacher. Plus my best friend lives in his old house in Prior Lake MN. The neighbors said when they would have a party he wouldnt stray to far from the keg. PL

Trim
02-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Did you know that he lives in Wabasha MN and retired as a school teacher. Plus my best friend lives in his old house in Prior Lake MN. The neighbors said when they would have a party he wouldnt stray to far from the keg. PL

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info on my favorite wrestler of all time! Me and my brother (both in our 30's) still give each other The Claw. A tradition I am now passing on to my sons.

56BISON73
02-11-2008, 05:31 AM
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info on my favorite wrestler of all time! Me and my brother (both in our 30's) still give each other The Claw. A tradition I am now passing on to my sons.

Also he starred in a play at the Guthrie in the cities last year. I think he wrote it also. PL

Trim
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Also he starred in a play at the Guthrie in the cities last year. I think he wrote it also. PL

The Baron = Renaissance Man

Trim
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
The Baron = Renaissance Man

Way off topic, but,

Another guy called "The Baron" was Fritz Fell, former ND high school coach, Midweek Eagle columnist, and the best/craziest teacher to ever grace the halls of West Fargo High.

aces1180
01-22-2013, 02:57 AM
WWE just announced he is going into their Hall of Fame!

onbison09
01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
WWE just announced he is going into their Hall of Fame!

They should have the Iron Sheik introduce him. He was tweeting about it all day.*

*He's a must follow

bisoningrandforks
01-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Im at work and bored!......I met Ray the crippler Stevens and Wahoo McDaniel at the holiday Inn in Casper, wy sitting at the bar having a drink after they beat the crap out of each other at the civic center that night...think it was about 1988?

56BISON73
01-25-2018, 02:40 AM
Since this is kind of an all around Pro wrestling thread here is a thing on the crusher.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/south/news/south-milwaukee/2018/01/24/da-crusher-might-get-statue-gofundme-page-looking-build-life-size-bronze-statue-south-milwaukee-wres/1059801001/

56BISON73
01-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Since this is kind of an all around Pro wrestling thread here is a thing on the crusher.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/south/news/south-milwaukee/2018/01/24/da-crusher-might-get-statue-gofundme-page-looking-build-life-size-bronze-statue-south-milwaukee-wres/1059801001/

For the fans of Andre the Giant

https://youtu.be/f_jTeuajas0

harleycowboy
01-29-2018, 02:28 AM
I remember it might have been in the semi's of Nationals and Bob Backlund was wrestling 190 something and he was tied up with his opponent and all of a sudden the opponent was lifted off the ground and driven down. Bob Backlund was very very strong and won Nationals that year. Nationals might have been in Fargo that year. The next year he wrestled HWT. It was a long time ago but the year Backlund wrestled HWT I believe Rheingans was at 190 something and Demarray was at 184. Probably our best heavy weights in the history of Bison wrestling.