PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Football needs to stay inside.

Thunder_Struck
12-08-2007, 01:35 AM
There has been talk on here of the Bison outgrowing FargoDome. If this were to happen in the future, today is a good day to remember when deciding between indoor and outdoor stadiums. Playing in below zero temps would be no good and may even prevent NDSU from hosting a game. Just a thought as I watch the FCS playoff game tonight.

56BISON73
12-08-2007, 01:55 AM
There has been talk on here of the Bison outgrowing FargoDome. If this were to happen in the future, today is a good day to remember when deciding between indoor and outdoor stadiums. Playing in below zero temps would be no good and may even prevent NDSU from hosting a game. Just a thought as I watch the FCS playoff game tonight.

Retractable roof. PL

BisBison
12-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Retractable roof. PL

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BlueBisonRock
12-08-2007, 03:55 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And a da#n good recommendation. The $$$$ discussion is the business case. Run the numbers, all of the numbers, including cost. But DO NOT let cost be the inhibitor. Gawd, I feel like I am presenting to my executives again..... Net, do not find a reason to quit before you have started.

56BISON73
12-08-2007, 04:25 AM
You have to wonder how much a retactable one would cost. I mean you are going to put a roof on it anyway right. PL

56BISON73
12-08-2007, 04:27 AM
And a da#n good recommendation. The $$$$ discussion is the business case. Run the numbers, all of the numbers, including cost. But DO NOT let cost be the inhibitor. Gawd, I feel like I am presenting to my executives again..... Net, do not find a reason to quit before you have started.

And more leg room. !!!!!!!!!! :D PL

Mr_Meanor
12-08-2007, 05:20 AM
I guess I am a traditionalist and believe football should be played outside. yes....it would have been cold playing outside today but that is why we got Blackberry Brandy. Nothing compares to playing football outside in the cold. Lambeau Field is so historic because of the cold weather and the frozen tundra. Lambeau would not be what it is today if there was a retracable roof. Roofs are for fair weather fans and that is what most NDSU fans are.

56BISON73
12-08-2007, 06:16 AM
I guess I am a traditionalist and believe football should be played outside. yes....it would have been cold playing outside today but that is why we got Blackberry Brandy. Nothing compares to playing football outside in the cold. Lambeau Field is so historic because of the cold weather and the frozen tundra. Lambeau would not be what it is today if there was a retracable roof. Roofs are for fair weather fans and that is what most NDSU fans are.

I do agree. I like outdoor football myself and dont care for games in a dome. But the fans of today arent the same as the fans of yesteryear.
I dont think you could get 19000 fans today to sit in 0 degree weather with the wind blowing 10-20. Now they will tail gate in that weather for a short time but then throw in a game on top of it??? PL

Bison101
12-15-2007, 03:06 PM

I find no instance where we would REALLY outgrow the Fargodome. I mean, the only problem that I see is the lack of noise. It seems by the 3rd and 4th qtr, the sound always gets trapped in the rafters.

And besides, wasn't there an idea to round the corners of the Fargodome with seats? Well.. I guess that's my idea.

Also... a sold out crowd always looks good.:nod:

TheBisonator
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
The only issue with our current indoor stadium is that it will be tough to expand it. If there's a surefire way to expand the place, I'd be in favor of staying in the Dome.

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
The noise factor shouldnt even be in the conversation when deciding what type of venue is needed. Some fans think they are making a difference when in fact you very rarely here the crowd when you are playing. PL

fargocyclone
12-15-2007, 07:31 PM
The noise factor shouldnt even be in the conversation when deciding what type of venue is needed. Some fans think they are making a difference when in fact you very rarely here the crowd when you are playing. PL

I disagree.

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I disagree.

Which part do you disagree with???

Have you ever played in front of a large crowd?? PL

extremerouge
12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Which part do you disagree with???

Have you ever played in front of a large crowd?? PL
i'm with fargocyclone...our crowd noise was such a factor this year that our defense had to have hand signals for audibles...why do people credit crowd noise with offensive penalties???

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
i'm with fargocyclone...our crowd noise was such a factor this year that our defense had to have hand signals for audibles...why do people credit crowd noise with offensive penalties???

Lack of disipline is one reason and an excuse for another. There are offensive penaties all the time when there is not any noise.
But from personal experience I never heard the crowd unless something BIG happened and the crowd rose as one. That was in front of 87,000 people. Plus since I HAD to hear the QB because I was the center and I never had a problem.
But as I said its my opinion. PL

Bisonguy
12-15-2007, 09:56 PM

At times, it was near deafening on the field. There were a couple times when I was talking (yelling) to somebody right next to me near the student section on the field, and he couldn't hear me. Had to wait until after the play to be able to talk.

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 10:20 PM
At times, it was near deafening on the field. There were a couple times when I was talking (yelling) to somebody right next to me near the student section on the field, and he couldn't hear me. Had to wait until after the play to be able to talk.

That is absolutely amazing.
The reason I say that is because some fans are always telling us that NOBODY is cheering at the games but them.:D
Oh thats right you were in front of the student section. :D That explains it.:nod: PL

Mr. Burgundy
12-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey, did you guys know that 56Bison73 played football?

BlueBisonRock
12-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey, did you guys know that 56Bison73 played football?

Back in the dark ages. Right?

BisonBabe
12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Well it looks like some here would consider me to be a fairweather fan since I would rather attend an indoor game than an outdoor one. Main reason being comfort. I don't like being cold. I also don't have the best immune system. I have been sick ever since attending the November 17th. Still trying to get over a bad case of Pnemonia. Fortunately I did not end up in the hospital but it has been a long road trying to get well again hoping to enjoy Christmas since Thanksgiving was not so good.

There are many other folks out there just like me that for health reasons indoor sports are more viable. That does not make us less enthusiastic rather just show that we may have some limitations that you do not.

bisongirl
12-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Well it looks like some here would consider me to be a fairweather fan since I would rather attend an indoor game than an outdoor one. Main reason being comfort. I don't like being cold. I also don't have the best immune system. I have been sick ever since attending the November 17th. Still trying to get over a bad case of Pnemonia. Fortunately I did not end up in the hospital but it has been a long road trying to get well again hoping to enjoy Christmas since Thanksgiving was not so good.

There are many other folks out there just like me that for health reasons indoor sports are more viable. That does not make us less enthusiastic rather just show that we may have some limitations that you do not.

Bison Babe~I guess I'm right there with you being a "fair weather fan" as some have called it. I also enjoy the indoor games. Not because of any health problems that I have but because Bison football games including tailgating are a family event for us. 0 degrees and a 20 below windchill and I would not have my little ones out there.

We hope you feel better soon!

56BISON73
12-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Back in the dark ages. Right?

Very dark ages. Our night games were by candle and moon light. PLUS YOUVE HEARD OF A FOOTBALL CALLED THE OLE PIGSKIN???? When I played the pig was still squelling when the game started. :D PL

56BISON73
12-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Bison Babe and Girl
During inclimate weather I also enjoy the dome because of the comfort factor. As a mater of fact I was very grateful for the dome the first game of the year. All I am saying is on a nice cool autum day there is nothing like a college football game in an outdoor stadium. There is no better atmosphere IMO. PL

SDbison
12-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Bison Babe and Girl
During inclimate weather I also enjoy the dome because of the comfort factor. As a mater of fact I was very grateful for the dome the first game of the year. All I am saying is on a nice cool autum day there is nothing like a college football game in an outdoor stadium. There is no better atmosphere IMO. PL
Outdoor is where football should be played. If women and children can't take it too bad, stay home. I was just at a hockey game tonight where a less than 1 year old was at the game with parents in 5th row. Dangerous and not very responsible. Get a babysitter or stay home. The game should not be made to conform to irresponsible parents. This PC age sucks!

99Bison
12-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Outdoor is where football should be played. If women and children can't take it too bad, stay home. I was just at a hockey game tonight where a less than 1 year old was at the game with parents in 5th row. Dangerous and not very responsible. Get a babysitter or stay home. The game should not be made to conform to irresponsible parents. This PC age sucks!

And then we have 5k in attendance instead of 20k... Doesn't make much financial sense.

BlueBisonRock
12-16-2007, 07:28 AM

I remember sitting in snowbanks at Dakotah Field watching a playoff game. There were at most 3000 foolish souls like myself at that game. I love outdoor football. But even in MN, the game is moved inside in the middle of November.

Your tag line strongly encourages filling the stadium. Your post states stay home if you can't take it. It must be the late hour as I have not had any liabations tonight. I am confused. How do you propose to incent a sell out when you are also telling avid fans to stay home if they can't tough it out?

bisongirl
12-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Bison Babe and Girl

I agree with you on this PL. When the weather is nice, even cool, outside is great! We were at both the Cal Poly game this year and UC Davis last year and it is wonderful being able to watch football outdoors. Unfortunately, our weather doesn't stay that nice the whole season! I'd love a retractable roof, I just don't think it will ever happen!

bisongirl
12-16-2007, 12:12 PM

SDBison,
I met you this fall and had some nice converstions with you in the tailgating lot. I have lost all respect for you after this post.

Gully
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
SDBison,
I met you this fall and had some nice converstions with you in the tailgating lot. I have lost all respect for you after this post.

Easy now, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think a lot of us just long for the traditional manly-man game where you played outside, on grass, sometimes in mud or snow and the forward pass was a trick play. Also, smoking a cigar at the end of the game was allowed. Insert Tim Taylor grunt here.

I think it would be great if we could someday build a retractable roof stadium and enjoy the nice fall days while shielding the weak and timid from the harsh winters. That way those or us who enjoy cold weather could still at least tailgate outside and then head in for the game. Best of both worlds, it seems to me.

BisonBabe
12-16-2007, 01:17 PM

I think a lot of us just long for the traditional manly-man game where you played outside, on grass, sometimes in mud or snow and the forward pass was a trick play. Also, smoking a cigar at the end of the game was allowed. Insert Tim Taylor grunt here.

I think it would be great if we could someday build a retractable roof stadium and enjoy the nice fall days while shielding the weak and timid from the harsh winters. That way those or us who enjoy cold weather could still at least tailgate outside and then head in for the game. Best of both worlds, it seems to me.

But what you need to remember is that as girly-girls also enjoy football.

If the weather was nice it would be great to play outside but with bitter cold weather not so much :(

bisongirl
12-16-2007, 01:36 PM

You're right Gully. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This one struck a nerve with me because I am a wife and mom who LOVES football. I have stated my opinion on this thread, and now I will stay away from it before I take anymore of the women and children should stay home comments way too personally.

02Bison
12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
You're right Gully. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This one struck a nerve with me because I am a wife and mom who LOVES football. I have stated my opinion on this thread, and now I will stay away from it before I take anymore of the women and children should stay home comments way too personally.

Some people just lack tact...don't take it personally. I don't think outdoor football would be good for the Bison right now. They have a hard enough time keeping the seats full for 4 quarters indoors. If they were to go to outdoor football right now, I think they'd have a hard time filling seats before the start of the 1st quarter. Keep coming to the games and bringing the little one's too. Go Bison!

BlueBisonRock
12-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Bisongirl, Please do not stay away from this thread or the board because of this rude and inappropriate statement. The anti-PC positioning was intended to embarrass anyone who would challenge the statement. Your reaction is not PC.

I can understand your love of the game. My 23 year old daughter also loves and knows the game. She has had to deal with some of these manly man attitudes also. Most times she either ignores the ignorance or she points out the weakness in their arguement and lets the MM fall on his sword.

SDbison
12-16-2007, 06:24 PM
SDBison,
Sorry you feel this way. My intent was to say less than ideal conditions might mean a very young child should not be at a game for their safety and health (could get struck by a ball or puck, or get sick from being in the cold too long). The next stadium may be an outdoor facility and some fans might not make it to all home games. A 30,000 seat open air stadium might cost $80 million, same with a dome $120 million and with a retractable roof $150 million. Economics might not make it possible to build an enclosed facility that meets everyones needs.

BisonBabe
12-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry you feel this way. My intent was to say less than ideal conditions might mean a very young child should not be at a game for their safety and health (could get struck by a ball or puck, or get sick from being in the cold too long). The next stadium may be an outdoor facility and some fans might not make it to all home games. A 30,000 seat open air stadium might cost $80 million, same with a dome $120 million and with a retractable roof $150 million. Economics might not make it possible to build an enclosed facility that meets everyones needs.

Sometimes when typing what we mean and what others interpret are two different things.

The way I see it we are all entitled to our opinions and should not be judged for that. I for one think even with the cost that if/when we need to look at a new stadium that a retractable roof would the best of both worlds.

bisonaudit
12-16-2007, 11:43 PM
The way I see it we are all entitled to our opinions and should not be judged for that.

If we're not going to judge people based on their opinions what should we judge them on? Inseam length? Bust size? Eye color? Sneeze volume?

There's a difference between making a judgement and saying something wildly inappropriate.

Yo
12-16-2007, 11:49 PM
OK - this is Yo's Lovely wife (quoting Yo). Nothing PC here OK.

I prefer football outside. Weather - deal with it. Children - done it. Under five they stay with a babysitter. After that - Sorel boots, long underwear, and snow pants. Money for pizza and hot chocolate, and check in with me every ten minutes. OK - I'm dating myself. No one would ever let a five year old out of their site for ten minutes these days (forget the PC).

Truthfully - for numbers we need the dome. Yes it is sold out. Can we maintain those numbers? I'm sure we can.

Will we need something bigger. Come on now. We sound like UND people (ugh).

My hope. Let's learn how to make some noise - 2 years old or 78 years old.

Go Bison!!

NDSUstudent
12-17-2007, 04:08 AM
NDSU football outside? Shouldn't even be talked about until we have a waiting list for season tickets. Right now we would break our budget playing outside, fans are still too soft and there is not enough demand to create the Green Bay or Montana type of atmosphere where bad weather just means a longer driving time to the game for fans.

admin
12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
If we're not going to judge people based on their opinions what should we judge them on? Inseam length? Bust size? Eye color? Sneeze volume?

There's a difference between making a judgement and saying something wildly inappropriate.

As long as folks do not start insult exchanges that carry over to other completely unrelated threads, the angry elf is fine with friendly debates. If you do want to rehash old arguments for perpetuity then do what the angry elf did - get married, but don't do it front of the kids, the neighbors, or Santa.

Anyway, the angry elf does not see a problem with the disagreement taking place here. Some people find disagreements unpleasant, but the angry elf welcomes friendly arguments. Heck, he even welcomes unfriendly ones - but only if they lead to two attractive women getting into a cat fight and rolling around on the ground... er, what the angry elf really means is that, sure, people have a right to make flawed arguments (i.e. they have a right to disagree with the angry elf) but other people have a duty to offer a counterpoint to those flawed arguments lest we will devolve into a society in which the angriest people run things just because they are very loud rather than angry-elf-like (possessing wisdom, a noble countenance, and a regal hat).

Furthermore, to answer bisonaudit's series of questions, the angry elf believes that people should be judged solely on the entertainment and/or educational value they provide. For example, angry people are usually not very entertaining unless they can be funny and/or extremely attractive at the same time (e.g. "Jennifer Connelly is really angry but, holy cow, just look at her! I never knew she could be so funny and/or educational while wrestling with Salma Hayek over immigration policy!")

Er, the angry elf fears that he has digressed too far and the whole referring to himself in the third person is extremely tiring so, um, carry on.

bisongirl
12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

SDbison~
I apologize for my earlier comments. They came at the end of a very long, stressful day, and I took it out on you. I'm sorry.

Football to me is a family event and the dome makes it possible to bring our kids to every game. The 2 year old enjoys it as much as the 7 year does. They know how to cheer and, in 2 yr. old terms, "wiggle their fingers" for the kick offs. Yes, our daughter would be old enough to take with to a very cold outdoor game, but our son wouldn't be. I would miss having him at the games with us. He is just started to learn the word Bison, but has been able to say Buffalo for quite some time. Thus we go to see the Buffalo play, whether it's football season or basketball season. Anyway, I could go on and on about this, but will quit now.

Once again, I apologize, and will look forward to seeing you in the west lot next year!

bisonmike2
12-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Most of the time the most dangerous part of taking kids to any sporting event are the fans that they would be sitting next to during it. I get pissed at calls and bad plays as much as the next guy and I'm definatley not someone who shy's away from swearing but I try not to do it in front of my kid. But for whatever reason people think it's their right to drop F-bombs at sporting events. That's just sad. It's not as bad at NDSU games but the couple of Vikings games I've been to have been horrible and I am going to think twice about taking my kid to those.

TransAmBison
12-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I miss playing outside. I love it when the weather gets nasty! The fans that do make it out really want to be out there. Nobody is sitting or generally not interested in the game. You have to cheer, stand, and move around to keep warm.

I like the dome and I know it makes a lot of financial sense. A retractable roof is not going to happen. Period. Deal with it.*

*I have no inside sources to confirm this. Don't think I need any. Just figuring the price tag and what the taxpayers would say if approached.

SDbison
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
SDbison~
I apologize for my earlier comments. They came at the end of a very long, stressful day, and I took it out on you. I'm sorry.

Football to me is a family event and the dome makes it possible to bring our kids to every game. The 2 year old enjoys it as much as the 7 year does. They know how to cheer and, in 2 yr. old terms, "wiggle their fingers" for the kick offs. Yes, our daughter would be old enough to take with to a very cold outdoor game, but our son wouldn't be. I would miss having him at the games with us. He is just started to learn the word Bison, but has been able to say Buffalo for quite some time. Thus we go to see the Buffalo play, whether it's football season or basketball season. Anyway, I could go on and on about this, but will quit now.

Once again, I apologize, and will look forward to seeing you in the west lot next year!
No apology necessary. I also wrote my first response later at night and was in a grouchy mood. I could have written my thoughts in a more positive way the first time (wow, did I just type that?). I guess I see so many parents bringing infants to theaters, football games, hockey games, etc. nowadays and I don't think it is good for the parents or the child (not a good experience since care of child becomes the focus, not watching the event or show). As far as Bison games go 2 years old or so and up is usually great. I mean these kids will be the Bison of the future. Many times these kids are making more noise and getting into the game better than the adults around them!

SlickVic
12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I also wrote my first response later at night and was in a grouchy mood.

when are you not in a "grouchy" mood sd? everytime you post you offend some one...reading this thread was like whatching dr phil yuck

Mr_Meanor
12-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Here is my take on the whole situation. Right now the Dome is fine for NDSU. However, if the time comes where a new stadium is needed I believe playing outside is the way to go. People on this board are always complaining about the living dead at the Fargodome. Moving the game outside would get rid of the casual fans and bring in the true fans who want to be there and make some noise. Secondly, its not that cold in Fargo during November. The ave. temp is like 35 degrees. If you dress properly the weather should not be a big deal. And I believe that once NDSU started playing outside people would take pride in that which would create a whole new atmosphere around Bison football.

TheDoctor
12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Most of the time the most dangerous part of taking kids to any sporting event are the fans that they would be sitting next to during it. I get pissed at calls and bad plays as much as the next guy and I'm definatley not someone who shy's away from swearing but I try not to do it in front of my kid. But for whatever reason people think it's their right to drop F-bombs at sporting events. That's just sad. It's not as bad at NDSU games but the couple of Vikings games I've been to have been horrible and I am going to think twice about taking my kid to those.

I think your giving Bison fans to much credit. With 0 home losses in over 2 years, I can see why there is a lack of FBombs. NOW, if your a Vikings fan, you feel compelled to drop several of them a game year in and year out. They always find a way to implode. ;)

bisonmike2
12-21-2007, 03:15 PM
if/when NDSU outgrows the fargodome we will go to an outdoor stadium. It gets you the most bang for your buck and it also makes future upgrades and expansions easier. Roofs are expensive to put on large buildings like football stadiums and every year construction cost climb. What's the next logical step up in size for NDSU? 30K? 35K? You got to think a roofed stadium holding that many would easily cost 75 - 100 million and that's in today's money. It might be double that in 10 to 15 years when we will really need it. I can't imagine trying to get a referendum to pass for that much money in Fargo.

roadwarrior
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
To build the Fargodome today would probably cost about $100 million.

bisonmike2
12-21-2007, 05:19 PM
To build the Fargodome today would probably cost about $100 million.

Wow, then I'm way off. Maybe we could just get a gigantic circus tent to play in with temporary bleachers.

TransAmBison
12-21-2007, 05:44 PM
if/when NDSU outgrows the fargodome we will go to an outdoor stadium. It gets you the most bang for your buck and it also makes future upgrades and expansions easier. Roofs are expensive to put on large buildings like football stadiums and every year construction cost climb. What's the next logical step up in size for NDSU? 30K? 35K? You got to think a roofed stadium holding that many would easily cost 75 - 100 million and that's in today's money. It might be double that in 10 to 15 years when we will really need it. I can't imagine trying to get a referendum to pass for that much money in Fargo.
My guess is that the dome will be the home of the Bison for many, many, many, many more years. As interest increases so will the Teammaker fees and ticket costs until they are at a real premium. With the dome in good condition, I don't think a new stadium would be in any way feasible.

bisonmike2
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
My guess is that the dome will be the home of the Bison for many, many, many, many more years. As interest increases so will the Teammaker fees and ticket costs until they are at a real premium. With the dome in good condition, I don't think a new stadium would be in any way feasible.

I'm afraid your right. It's a shame we couldn't have built the FargoDome in such a way as to make expansion a possibility. The main supports in the corners prevent any sizable addition being added. And it's not real easy to pop the top off and build another level. There's also about a 0% chance that the people of Fargo would ever approve funding for a new football stadium as long as the FargoDome is standing. I can see in the year 2091 a referendum being shot down and the old farts in Fargo's great great grandkids bitching, "but you already got the FargoDome, what else do you want!?"

TheBisonator
12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I think there's a serious chance that engineers may eventually find a feasible way to add a 4,000-seat upper deck to each side, east grandstand and west grandstand. It would take rebuilding the side roof slopes and constructing structure below the new deck, expanding it out at the sides. You'd be looking at maybe an increase to 27,000 seats or so.

TheBisonator
12-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Here's what I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/DomeAlteration.jpg

The only part of the roof that is changed are the side slopes. The centre and ends stay as they are. The posts stay as they are. Most construction is actually done below the new decks, along with the new decks themselves. Perhaps a row of suites could accomodate the space between decks on the west side, and a newly renovated press area could go along with the east side deck space. The overhang would probably only be 8-10 feet or so, making it feasible. Throw in new green and yellow seats and field turf, and VOILA!! You have a stadium worthy of the Mountain West.

fargocyclone
12-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Here's what I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/DomeAlteration.jpg

The only part of the roof that is changed are the side slopes. The centre and ends stay as they are. The posts stay as they are. Most construction is actually done below the new decks, along with the new decks themselves. Perhaps a row of suites could accomodate the space between decks on the west side, and a newly renovated press area could go along with the east side deck space. The overhang would probably only be 8-10 feet or so, making it feasible. Throw in new green and yellow seats and field turf, and VOILA!! You have a stadium worthy of the Mountain West.

This is actually what I had in mind as we were talking about expanding the Dome. With the supports under the new second level (possibly a concourse up there as well), the old supports wouldn't have to support that much new weight. The roof would obviously have to be higher so the old columns would just have to support the extra weight of themselves being longer.

When I picture this in my head, looking at it from the outside, it looks like a really formidable place for an opposing team to be walking into!

BisBison
12-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Cool Bisonator, if it could work. What becomes of the coach's offices on the second level?

TheBisonator
12-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Cool Bisonator, if it could work. What becomes of the coach's offices on the second level?

That would be the one tricky part that I'm not sure of, trying to construct around the football offices. The only way I think that would work is if load-bearing columns were omitted in the area where the offices are, and were made up in adjacent areas.

One more thing about the upper decks: The reason I am contemplating something like only 20-21 rows per deck is because there is the GIGANTIC main truss beam connecting all of the posts together on each side, east and west. You've probably seen it if you've been to games. It's the beam that mounts the stats scoreboards in place. That thing sinks something like 30+ feet from the ceiling. In my plan, the decks would only go back to the point where the only view being obstructed in the top row of the upper decks would be the opposing side upper deck. The field in its entirety as well as the opposite lower deck would be visible even from the 20-21st row, but probably barely.

The only important thing to not be seen from the top of row T or so on the upper deck would be the opposing side statsboard. So a simple and cheap solution would be to mount another set of statsboards on the reverse sides of the current ones on the other side of the beam, so that the people in the nosebleeds can see the statboard facing towards them, along with the entire field and (at least) most, if not all of the opposing lower deck.

As for the construction period, maybe only one deck at a time will be worked on, probably the easier west deck first. While construction is going on and the roof slope is being demolished, a temporary slope structure that mimicks the current slope could be put in place while the permanent structure work is isolated by itself. Repeat the proccess on the east side the following year.

The only trouble I see with the plan is building around the new coaches offices.

56BISON73
12-21-2007, 11:54 PM
That would be the one tricky part that I'm not sure of, trying to construct around the football offices. The only way I think that would work is if load-bearing columns were omitted in the area where the offices are, and were made up in adjacent areas.

One more thing about the upper decks: The reason I am contemplating something like only 20-21 rows per deck is because there is the GIGANTIC main truss beam connecting all of the posts together on each side, east and west. You've probably seen it if you've been to games. It's the beam that mounts the stats scoreboards in place. That thing sinks something like 30+ feet from the ceiling. In my plan, the decks would only go back to the point where the only view being obstructed in the top row of the upper decks would be the opposing side upper deck. The field in its entirety as well as the opposite lower deck would be visible even from the 20-21st row, but probably barely.

The only important thing to not be seen from the top of row T or so on the upper deck would be the opposing side statsboard. So a simple and cheap solution would be to mount another set of statsboards on the reverse sides of the current ones on the other side of the beam, so that the people in the nosebleeds can see the statboard facing towards them, along with the entire field and (at least) most, if not all of the opposing lower deck.

As for the construction period, maybe only one deck at a time will be worked on, probably the easier west deck first. While construction is going on and the roof slope is being demolished, a temporary slope structure that mimicks the current slope could be put in place while the permanent structure work is isolated by itself. Repeat the proccess on the east side the following year.

The only trouble I see with the plan is building around the new coaches offices.

Or you could jack up the roof for the extra room thats needed. They jack up HUGE oil rigs all the time and they do that out in the ocean. PL

roadwarrior
12-22-2007, 12:05 AM
The coaches offices are tucked under the existing east stands (roughly sections 30-32). Its the large conferences rooms and the lobby that stick out from the original east wall of the dome.

TheBisonator
12-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Or you could jack up the roof for the extra room thats needed. They jack up HUGE oil rigs all the time and they do that out in the ocean. PL

But that would cost WAAAAAAY more money than altering the side roof slopes.

TheBisonator
12-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Do the same thing to the ends that you did to the sides, and you get an expansion to approx. 31,000 capacity:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/DomeAlteration2.jpg

This seating design now looks a lot like the San Antonio Alamodome but without the middle deck.

56BISON73
12-22-2007, 06:10 AM
But that would cost WAAAAAAY more money than altering the side roof slopes.

How do you know??? Plus whats the factual cost of the roof slopes??? PL

sambini
12-22-2007, 11:03 AM
A project of this magnitude would take how long? And any engineers out there is it feasible? Where would we play when construction is going on etc... And how would it get paid for? Great ideas ++++

gobison.gsb
12-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Wow. Someone seriously needs to take this to an engineering firm (or find the original builders) and ask if this would be possible. It is exciting to hear talk about expanding the dome. If NDSU had an upper deck in the dome...could you imagine what the other teams would think going onto the field in front of two levels of 25,000+ roaring bison fans.

The only flaw in this awesome scheme is money. I doubt that the citizens of Fargo would approve a tax for such a project. They would rather have the money go to a "stewardship fund" - whatever the hell that is...

It's fun to dream though..

but hey, sometimes they come true!

roadwarrior
12-23-2007, 04:38 AM
The problem is that the only talk is what you read here.

sambini
12-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Road how true++

Bisonguy
12-23-2007, 03:33 PM
They should just build a ramp in the corners, and sell it as hillside seating. Works at other FCS stadiums.

gwfan
12-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Financing is not a problem. Lakes and and his new generation of fans have it
all covered.

56BISON73
12-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Financing is not a problem. Lakes and and his new generation of fans have it
all covered.

You mean the new generation of fans whos leader just bought his 1st season ticket THIS year??? Yep the money should come piling in now.:D PL

Mr. Burgundy
12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow, a post in which 53BIson76 rips on Lakes.....that is new. My biggest pet peave is when people rip on someone for how much they GIVE. It is called a DONATION.

56BISON73
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, a post in which 53BIson76 rips on Lakes.....that is new. My biggest pet peave is when people rip on someone for how much they GIVE. It is called a DONATION.

Hey Im not ripping him for the amount of his donation. Im glad he finally did. PL

ps and--- actually I was agreeing with a previous poster and added my two cents worth.

sambini
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all that have donated to this years funddrive in making it a record. And as we go into 2008 with a goal of 1.9 million led by fund drive chair Chad Stark. Thanks have a safe holiday++++++++++

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Merry Christmas to all that have donated to this years funddrive in making it a record. And as we go into 2008 with a goal of 1.9 million led by fund drive chair Chad Stark. Thanks have a safe holiday++++++++++

Sambini
Have Chad get in touch with me. I will donate a painted feather of a bison for the spring game auction next year. PL

TheDoctor
12-24-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey Im not ripping him for the amount of his donation. Im glad he finally did. PL

ps and--- actually I was agreeing with a previous poster and added my two cents worth.

Can't we all get along guys? :rofl: ;)

sambini
12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Sambini
Have Chad get in touch with me. I will donate a painted feather of a bison for the spring game auction next year. PL That auction is not a Teammaker event PL. Pat Simmers would be able to get it to the right guys though. The athletic department puts that one on with there garage sale.

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 04:37 AM
That auction is not a Teammaker event PL. Pat Simmers would be able to get it to the right guys though. The athletic department puts that one on with there garage sale.\

Doesnt Team Makers have a fund raising event?? PL

BlueBisonRock
12-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Sambini
Have Chad get in touch with me. I will donate a painted feather of a bison for the spring game auction next year. PL

Do you only have the one? :)

roadwarrior
12-24-2007, 04:52 AM
The money from the auction ends up at the right place.

SlickVic
12-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Sambini

i already got the winning bid on that- fiddy cents...you're so generous pl. if it wernt for big time donors donating such valuable items as a painted feather like you i dont know where this progam would be...as a matter of fact pl. youve inspired me so much that im donating a slick vic autuographed ticket stub from the southern utah game...also up for auction will be the game used handcuffs from sd bisons arrest courtesy of the dome nazis ;)

UTH
12-24-2007, 04:56 AM

Actually there is a pretty good inventory available. [linky (http://wildturkeyfeatherart.com/)] Excellent ideas for Christmas presents next year, methinks. Bison would be a a good addition to your offerings, PL. :nod:

TheDoctor
12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
i already got the winning bid on that- fiddy cents...you're so generous pl. if it wernt for big time donors donating such valuable items as a painted feather like you i dont know where this progam would be...as a matter of fact pl. youve inspired me so much that im donating a slick vic autuographed ticket stub from the southern utah game...also up for auction will be the game used handcuffs from sd bisons arrest courtesy of the dome nazis ;)

Honestly, when are you going to be on the radio? While I certainly don't condone PL bashing, your material is definitely hillarious. ;)

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Slick
The feather they auctioned at the Bidders bowl went for 400.00 +. So you may keep your fiddy centavos. You may consider using it to purchase a bar of soap. :D PL

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM

We paint them on a regular basis because we sell them at sport shows and off the internet. So when we get an order we paint another one. The picture I sent you has a plate block of 4 bison stamps from 1960. If people would rather have a NDSU logo instead of the stamps we can also accomodate that request as well. PL

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Actually there is a pretty good inventory available. [linky (http://wildturkeyfeatherart.com/)] Excellent ideas for Christmas presents next year, methinks. Bison would be a a good addition to your offerings, PL. :nod:

We do any animal that people request. We just cant put all of what we do on our website because it would take too long to down load. PM me your email and I will send you the picture of the bison that we do. We can also mount Bison stamps from 1960, arrowheads, short arrows and NDSU Logos in a title cut underneath the paintiing. PL

SlickVic
12-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Honestly, when are you going to be on the radio? While I certainly don't condone PL bashing, your material is definitely hillarious. ;)

dunno not sure if ndsus still an option for me thanks to het...im makin some pretty good money pimpin these hoes around town tho so should be able to pay as i go next year...speaking of that next time ur in town pl. give me a jingle i can make that $400 turn into the best time of your life ;)

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Forgot to ask---where did you steal the ticket stub????:D PL

56BISON73
12-24-2007, 09:48 PM
dunno not sure if ndsus still an option for me thanks to het...im makin some pretty good money pimpin these hoes around town tho so should be able to pay as i go next year...speaking of that next time ur in town pl. give me a jingle i can make that $400 turn into the best time of your life ;)

Save your money. It will be better spent on the next course of shots you will need for the drip. But for some reason I think they probably know you quite well down at the free clinic dont they. :D PL

Bison101
01-06-2008, 03:25 AM
I don't know if I totally agree with the whole "inside is best" camp.

You see, I know about those old days at Dacotah Field, with the brisk fall days clammering at our skin.
The roar of the crowd as it could be heard across the prairie.
The excitement that never failed.
The unity.
THE STUDENTS!

It just seems, (please don't get anry), that the Fargodome is too...well...dull. I mean, the first quarter is PUMPED! But once that 3rd and 4th quarter roll around and we're winning by a modest margin, it seems all the playmakers and "windshirt wearers" fall asleep in their chairs.

Though I like the Fargodome due to its room temp, if we were donated enough for a 60,000+ plus outdoor stadium, and I were in Dr. Chapman's shoes, I'd take it. No question.

Help me out here.

UTH
01-06-2008, 03:33 AM

You see, I know about those old days at Dacotah Field, with the brisk fall days clammering at our skin.
The unity.
THE STUDENTS!

It just seems, (please don't get anry), that the Fargodome is too...well...dull. I mean, the first quarter is PUMPED! But once that 3rd and 4th quarter roll around and we're winning by a modest margin, it seems all the playmakers and "windshirt wearers" fall asleep in their chairs.

Though I like the Fargodome due to its room temp, if we were donated enough for a 60,000+ plus outdoor stadium, and I were in Dr. Chapman's shoes, I'd take it. No question.

Help me out here.

I like to agree with you, but the biggest problem has been a big lack of competition within the friendly confines of the FFD and the resulting lack of quality gameday atmosphere. It is my hope that the higher level of competition that we'll see in the Gateway will help to bring the mood of the crowd up to an excitable level. Booyah!

56BISON73
01-06-2008, 03:35 AM

The unity.
THE STUDENTS!

Help me out here.

I think if someone donated a 60000 seat outdoor stadium he would take it no questions asked.:D PL

fargocyclone
01-06-2008, 03:36 AM
I like to agree with you, but the biggest problem has been a big lack of competition within the friendly confines of the FFD and the resulting lack of quality gameday atmosphere. What I believe we want is a change in NDSU's gameday culture. It is my hope that the higher level of competition that we'll see in the Gateway will help to bring the mood of the crowd up to an excitable level. Booyah!

I agree, UTH. When we've got games going down to the line every week with autobid implications, the 3rd and 4th quarters will be much more exciting than the 1st.

fargocyclone
01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
I think if someone donated a 60000 seat outdoor stadium he would take it no questions asked.:D PL

If money wasn't ever a problem, we'd have the best facilities in every sport. We wouldn't be worried about a football stadium, a basketball arena, or even the UPC. Alas, money is the root of all evil, so we'll have to make do.

56BISON73
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
If money wasn't ever a problem, we'd have the best facilities in every sport. We wouldn't be worried about a football stadium, a basketball arena, or even the UPC. Alas, money is the root of all evil, so we'll have to make do.

The worship of money is the root of all evil.:nod: PL

extremerouge
01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
The worship of money is the root of all evil.:nod: PL

that reminds me of a good mathematical equation:

http://www.funnypicturesworld.com/img/funny/funny0403.jpg

d3boys
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
that reminds me of a good mathematical equation:

http://www.funnypicturesworld.com/img/funny/funny0403.jpg

you are a mathematical genius