PDA

View Full Version : What's the problem???

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2007, 01:57 AM
What's the problem???

-Losing Tim Miles make that much of a difference???

-Losing Andre that big of a loss?? (yeah i know he's a big guy)

I feel these 2 are the big reasons why we're struggling, but can we still be a good team?? Yes, we just have to start playing basketball, actually get movement in our offense and get Woodside more involved by setting screens for him and letting him either shoot the 3 or drive to the hoop and look for the person setting the screen to either roll to the hoop or for a shot. Things def. need to change.

heckler
12-07-2007, 02:23 AM
What's the problem???

I feel these 2 are the big reasons why we're struggling, but can we still be a good team?? Yes, we just have to start playing basketball, actually get movement in our offense and get Woodside more involved by setting screens for him and letting him either shoot the 3 or drive to the hoop and look for the person setting the screen to either roll to the hoop or for a shot. Things def. need to change.

I have no answer... anyone else?

NDSUstudent
12-07-2007, 02:32 AM

-We lost to 5 good teams on the road, I believe the record of the teams we have lost to is 31-9. This team wasn't a good road team last year.

-Lack of inside scoring, can't rely on jump shots all the time. Somebody needs to step up and make some shots down low.

-Lack of a consistant 4th threat, its hard to beat good teams when they can just focus on 3 guys.

99Bison
12-07-2007, 02:40 AM
IMO, in addition to solid play and stats Dre provided the team's attitude and toughness. That attitude and toughness were not replaced or picked up by anyone else yet... The mental side of the game.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2007, 02:49 AM
-We lost to 5 good teams on the road, I believe the record of the teams we have lost to is 31-9. This team wasn't a good road team last year.

-Lack of inside scoring, can't rely on jump shots all the time. Somebody needs to step up and make some shots down low.

-Lack of a consistant 4th threat, its hard to beat good teams when they can just focus on 3 guys.

I agree with the Lack of 4th threat...and no scoring down low...

They did rebound better tonight, but the teams we play and their record 31-9 what league is mayville in and we only won by that much??? somethings wrong.

We need to get screen and rolls going and such and have more movement and motivation.

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2007, 02:49 AM
I am at a loss, other that Miles really was a coach and Saul has not quite got it figured out yet. Other than Andre this is the same team as last year with a bunch more experience.......

silkamilkamonico
12-07-2007, 02:52 AM
I'm sure it will take Saul some time to find his groove with this team. It's his first year as a HC I believe, and it's quite a difficult situation to walk into with so much expectations and pressure from the fanbase that usually isn't there.

I am curious to know if during recruiting throughout the summer if he focused so much on a guy like Default that maybe he missed out on other guys and was forced to keep his one scholly.

Anyone have an opinion to offer about how Sual might be as a recruiter?

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Anyone have an opinion to offer about how Sual might be as a recruiter?

Might need Bohl recruiting for basketball too?? haha

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Might need Bohl recruiting for basketball too?? haha

He can't right now.....he is busy interviewing at N. Illinois.....;)

HoopsBison
12-07-2007, 03:19 AM
I dont think Saul can be blamed too much, yes maybe recruiting wise, but are guys just gotta get tougher, He can tell them all he wants but they actually need to do it. Luke played a lot better tonight and pulled down some broads and we as team rebounded very well. Today the three hurt us. The one thing that I dont really understand is why Saul subs so fast or quick. Yeah you gotta mix it up but you gotta let the guys get a feel for it and play together a little bit. Seems once one thing goes wrong boom hes got to come out. I dont mabye Im way off with that anyone else notice that?

99Bison
12-07-2007, 03:45 AM
I dont think Saul can be blamed too much, yes maybe recruiting wise, but are guys just gotta get tougher, He can tell them all he wants but they actually need to do it. Luke played a lot better tonight and pulled down some broads and we as team rebounded very well. Today the three hurt us. The one thing that I dont really understand is why Saul subs so fast or quick. Yeah you gotta mix it up but you gotta let the guys get a feel for it and play together a little bit. Seems once one thing goes wrong boom hes got to come out. I dont mabye Im way off with that anyone else notice that?

I haven't seen enough of Saul to confirm, but I thought Miles did that too much along with 90% of coaches out there.

X-Factor
12-07-2007, 04:08 AM
For "defense" being talked about as the teams priority preseason, I am at a complete loss for what to say. If it was a priority preseason I hate to think of what it should be now.

bisonpride2k
12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Not only are we missing Dre but we are missing Zo as well. Yeah he didnt bring much of an offensive threat but he is relentless on the boards and will physically wear down post players with his strengh. We do not have anyone in the post that physically can just bang on guys all night so they become worn out and a non factor. As far as the recruiting from this summer with Default, that has no bearing on this team. The recruits for this team as freshman now were signed already a year ago november or in april and the players who are freshman now (Coleman, Tveidt) were recruited under miles 2 years ago. Dont forget recruiting wise that Tom Lundy should be part of the junior class and would bring alot to this offense with his versitility. Its a shame he had to quit.

We are also expecting alot out of Tveidt who remember is only a freshman. We kind of expected him to step in and fill the void Dre left. If you think back to how much more of a contribution on a consistant basis Dre made his senior year to his junior year we may be asking alot from the younger guys.

Mr_Meanor
12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I think there are many reasons this team is struggling. First, the loss of Andre is huge. They have no inside game what so ever and with that we also lost alot of toughness with this team. It seems like last year when the outside shot was not falling they could pound the ball down low with Andre. This year that inside threat is no where to be found. I also think that Saul is strugging with finding the right substitutions. Hopefully with time he can get things right. I know Saul also stated the team had taken more of a defenseive approach to practice this year. I think this might account for some of the offensive woes so far. I think this whole season could be learning in progress for Saul and staff. Hopefully we see improvement thoughtout the season so we can make a run next year. I really wish Carlson would not have red shirted. We really could have used him alot this year. He would be someone who could come in and put some points on the board off the bench.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I know Saul also stated the team had taken more of a defenseive approach to practice this year. I think this might account for some of the offensive woes so far.

I agree, the team needed to learn to play offensively without Dre. Sure defense hasn't been the greatest over the past few but this team is just not improving offensively.

Bison"FANatic"
12-07-2007, 03:01 PM
We definetely could use a good inside presence. We are going to find out how good Saul is. It is a long season I want to continue to see improvement and I will be very happy. We don't have a complete team in my opinion right now. Lets see if our new coach can get it turned around, If he does he is going to earn some major rep points. It is to early to throw the season under the bus, lets see what our coaches can do!!!!!

SDbison
12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Here is why I think the Bison are struggling in order of significance:
1. Loss of Dre and no JUCO replacement
2. Virtually no bench scoring (leaders of future?)
3. Pressure on Woody, Winks and Nelly
4. Moorman an OK DII big man, no DI athleticism
5. Too many turnovers, poor defense
6. Loss of Miles (question Saul's HC abilities)

BisBison
12-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Here is why I think the Bison are struggling in order of significance:
1. Loss of Dre and no JUCO replacement
2. Virtually no bench scoring (leaders of future?)
3. Pressure on Woody, Winks and Nelly
4. Moorman an OK DII big man, no DI athleticism
5. Too many turnovers, poor defense
6. Loss of Miles (question Saul's HC abilities)

I agree with you on 1-5, but I think it's way too early to judge Saul. It's still really early in his first year. Let him get things sorted out during the conference season, then we can talk.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree with you on 1-5, but I think it's way too early to judge Saul. It's still really early in his first year. Let him get things sorted out during the conference season, then we can talk.

I agree with you where we need to give Saul time...but how much??? We played a hell of a game vs Florida then go up to Rutgers who isn't as good as Florida IMO and lose to Rutgers. I'm still confused on how you play Mayville like that and score 104 against a team in transition to D1???Against the Gophers I didn't get to listen to much of it due to work, but what I did hear was that it sounded like when we ran a 2-3 zone things worked out better for our defense??? why not run more zone like 1-2-2 or 2-3??? Its like one game we do well, then the next we don't...team consistency needs to be there and we need to IMO run more either fast breaks or move around on offense. When we played Florida I noticed 1st half we struggled and didn't see the ball being rotated and moved around much, but then in the 2nd half we played a lot better and got more movement on offense.

PLUBison
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I can't say that I agree with you guys on the fact that we need to give Saul that much time. This is a DI institution and quite frankly this year the Bison have not looked as stunning as they did in past years with their best wins coming against Minot State and Mayville State. I can't say that I am too fond of peaking our first game (a loss) against the defending national champs. We have the talent to stay in these games and there is no reason for losing by thirty points to a team many thought would be a close game. We will see how Saul turns out later on down the road but I think we need to be willing to accept that not everyone is cut out for division one coaching because thus far this team's good games have come off the talents of our players like woodside's and winkleman's nationaly ranked scoring. Maybe I am being a little pessimistic but for right now, I am not sold on Saul Phillips and I am sorry if that hurts everyone's feelings.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I can't say that I agree with you guys on the fact that we need to give Saul that much time. This is a DI institution and quite frankly this year the Bison have not looked as stunning as they did in past years with their best wins coming against Minot State and Mayville State. I can't say that I am too fond of peaking our first game (a loss) against the defending national champs. We have the talent to stay in these games and there is no reason for losing by thirty points to a team many thought would be a close game. We will see how Saul turns out later on down the road but I think we need to be willing to accept that not everyone is cut out for division one coaching because thus far this team's good games have come off the talents of our players like woodside's and winkleman's nationaly ranked scoring. Maybe I am being a little pessimistic but for right now, I am not sold on Saul Phillips and I am sorry if that hurts everyone's feelings.

Our best wins are Tennessee Tech and North Carolina Central not Mayville and Minot. As for Saul, I think even Miles would have had some of the same problems. I'm willing to give the guy some time but I want to see some progress heading into next year. 2008-2009 is what it is all about, that is what Saul needs to build towards.

PLUBison
12-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Our best wins are Tennessee Tech and North Carolina Central not Mayville and Minot. As for Saul, I think even Miles would have had some of the same problems. I'm willing to give the guy some time but I want to see some progress heading into next year. 2008-2009 is what it is all about, that is what Saul needs to build towards.

I was mostly talking point wise and I am not taking anything away from those wins at all, however I don't see them as very impressive. I understand that this year we are not allowed in the tournament but this season, along with every season, is just as important as next year. I am excited for next year and I believe this year is crucial to building towards next year. All I am saying is that if I were to pick the biggest problem the bison are facing I would have to pick Saul because he hasn't been impressive yet.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I was mostly talking point wise and I am not taking anything away from those wins at all, however I don't see them as very impressive. I understand that this year we are not allowed in the tournament but this season, along with every season, is just as important as next year. I am excited for next year and I believe this year is crucial to building towards next year. All I am saying is that if I were to pick the biggest problem the bison are facing I would have to pick Saul because he hasn't been impressive yet.

I agree those wins aren't impressive at all and this season is very important, that is why I want to see progress. I want to see the bench develop and I want to see somebody emerge as a consistant 4th threat. The team also needs to establish some toughness on the road. These are all problems we need to fix this year, having to deal with them next year will be too late. Hopefully, Saul can find the answers.

silkamilkamonico
12-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Tim Miles said so himself that people weren't going to understand just how much of an impact Dre had on this team. He allowed Woodside/Winkleman/Nelson to do there thing. Without him, teams can completely scheme in on those 3 players, and that's what they're doing. Considering they won't always be in the game at the same time, the job is much easier with 2.

It isn't that hard to understand, really.

Bison101
12-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Oral Roberts hasn't been that great on the road. I'm looking for a win on March 1.

02Bison
12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Andre Smith is gone and no one in the 4 or 5 spot has come even close to replacing what he did. Andre gave the Bison a second dimension (that being a banger that could make things happen in the paint consistently). Without him (since no one has stepped up to fill the role he played), the Bison are a one-dimensional team (much like they were during the Ray Jack/McDermot years in the late 1990's early 2000's). Its very easy to shut down a one dimensional team offensively because you only have to be concerned with one thing...sounds obvious, but its the truth. Put some fire in Moorman and the rest of the big men. There's gotta be more energy to be spent by them and more agressiveness to be displayed by them down low. They need more tenacity from the big men they have down low. Make the opponents fear you when they are defending you in the paint and make the opponent scared to go to the paint when they are on offense. More energy from the big men!

99Bison
12-08-2007, 02:39 AM

The biggest problem is No Dre and no other players to fill that void... Not even a debate there.

PLUBison
12-08-2007, 03:07 AM
My bad guys, I guess its easy to blame one person but you all are right that the bison have a lot of things they need to look at fixing in order to build towards the future.

X-Factor
12-08-2007, 03:15 AM
Is football season here yet?

I say bench Moorman and start Zo for CSU. But what do I know, I'm nothing more than an armchair pointguard.

99Bison
12-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Is football season here yet?

I say bench Moorman and start Zo for CSU. But what do I know, I'm nothing more than an armchair pointguard.

I say light a fire under Moorman and start Zo for Tveidt... Just for intensity, defense and rebounding.

BlueBisonRock
12-08-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm nothing more than an armchair pointguard.

As are all of us. Now my key question is: Will we now register a 3.3 or a 5.8 on the richter as some of the so called Bison Faithful jump off of the band wagon.

The Bison are not the second coming. And they are far from competing in the top 25. Personally, I would hope that (not you X-man) some of you would understand and respect how far this team has come. Wake me up when NDSU is transformed into Duke.

onbison09
12-08-2007, 04:32 AM
I also think our "We don't care what the name on the front of your jersey says. We're gonna bust ours to beat yours." Also missing Andre extremely bad. Gophs & others are dominating us in the post.

Mr_Meanor
12-08-2007, 05:26 AM
As are all of us. Now my key question is: Personally, I would hope that (not you X-man) some of you would understand and respect how far this team has come.

Yes...this team has come along way in the last few years. However, this season it looks like they may be taking a step backwards. I think the loss of Smith hurts alot more than most people thought it would. Hopefully Saul can bring in a big guy who can bang bodies down low. This team just does not look very well prepared. Its going to be fun to watch this team to see how they respond the rest of the way.

tony
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Let me go on record as saying that this team is going to end up fine and when ORU comes to Fargo to play, it's going to be a whole different ballgame.

SDbison
12-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes...this team has come along way in the last few years. However, this season it looks like they may be taking a step backwards. I think the loss of Smith hurts alot more than most people thought it would. Hopefully Saul can bring in a big guy who can bang bodies down low. This team just does not look very well prepared. Its going to be fun to watch this team to see how they respond the rest of the way.
In my view, first Miles, and then Saul, failed to find a replacement for Andre. They both knew when his elligibilty was over and yet nothing was done. The coaches had to know what Andre brought to the game and how his absence would affect the team. Why didn't they recruit another JUCO or project big guy a year or two ago? You can't tell me it was impossible to do. At least someone who was half as good as Andre. Right now they have nothing that even resembles the play of Andre. I really believe this was an oversight and by the time Miles realized it he had turned his attention to CSU.

fightinbison
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM

of the 20-21 games we won last year....15-16 were to teams with losing records...

99Bison
12-08-2007, 06:20 PM
In my view, first Miles, and then Saul, failed to find a replacement for Andre. They both knew when his elligibilty was over and yet nothing was done. The coaches had to know what Andre brought to the game and how his absence would affect the team. Why didn't they recruit another JUCO or project big guy a year or two ago? You can't tell me it was impossible to do. At least someone who was half as good as Andre. Right now they have nothing that even resembles the play of Andre. I really believe this was an oversight and by the time Miles realized it he had turned his attention to CSU.

JUCO's or were on the radar, when the coaching change happened it affected a lot of things.

It was not an oversight and had nothing to to with CSU.

Jdubs21
12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
we have absolutely no depth

NDSUFan_Sav
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know what kind of recruits we're looking for right now??? I feel we need another PG/SG/SF and a Big Tall man...that can score and rebounding, 6'10 would be nice to pick up and bulky to be able to last down low.

silkamilkamonico
12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know what kind of recruits we're looking for right now??? I feel we need another PG/SG/SF and a Big Tall man...that can score and rebounding, 6'10 would be nice to pick up and bulky to be able to last down low.

We only have 1 scholarship for next year, if that, so there won't really be any major rumblings for an incoming class next year.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
We only have 1 scholarship for next year, if that, so there won't really be any major rumblings for an incoming class next year.

Thoughts on what we need to replace??? Ball handler/assist man? Rebounder? Shooter (4th threat)? low post scorer/presence?

silkamilkamonico
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Thoughts on what we need to replace??? Ball handler/assist man? Rebounder? Shooter (4th threat)? low post scorer/presence?

I wish I knew for sure.

I'm clueless with the x's and o's of basketball, all I do is bitch about something I know nothing about.

There's definetely people here that know and understand what's going on with the program, and I trust them soounds like things will change a little and get better when Zo comes back, but I think we do need an inside scoring prescence to prevent the defense from guarding so far out on the perimeter.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I understand basketball... I think we need another big man to either come off the bench or to play....need big guys to get rest and to be able to play def and score down low

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2007, 12:05 AM
I know this is one game, but watching the Centenary game, NDSU has absolutely no defense whatsoever inside around the basket.

Bison have been in man defense, and all Centenary is doing is working the ball to get a one on one matchup, and either hitting the drifving shot or get fouled. The only time they really get stopped is if they miss a shot.

I don't know if NDSU should be in more zone or what, but ot looks like NDSU has extremely lousy defense.

Mr. Burgundy
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I am changing my post game "rant" about the team....what a comeback. That showed alot of heart. I am just hoping they take that win and start to show that on a regular basis. That was a MUCH NEEDED VICTORY!!

99Bison
12-09-2007, 01:54 AM
I am changing my post game "rant" about the team....what a comeback. That showed alot of heart. I am just hoping they take that win and start to show that on a regular basis. That was a MUCH NEEDED VICTORY!!

Yeah. Great comeback effort and heart... Nice to hear Winks step up verbally, we really need that. It seems if the intensity is kept up we do ok, without it we get lulled to sleep.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2007, 04:04 AM
What's the problem???

Having only seen the game against Minnesota this year on TV, my very uneducated comment would be that we appear to be weak in the paint. But that could have been because Minnesota had some real size and muscle there. The offense looked completely out of synch...but again...that could be because of the stifling defense and the interior play...or lack thereof.

Miles was special. Not an easy person to take the place of. Patience is the only answer for the time being. Saul's in a really tough spot. Bet he's not sleeping well.

NDSUstudent
12-09-2007, 04:11 AM
Miles was special. Not an easy person to take the place of. Patience is the only answer for the time being. Saul's in a really tough spot. Bet he's not sleeping well.

Miles was special, that guy just has a knack of getting everything out of the talent he has. As for Saul, I'm sure he has had some long nights but he'll sleep like a baby tonight. That win was big for Saul.

HerdBot
12-09-2007, 04:55 AM
I am at a loss, other that Miles really was a coach and Saul has not quite got it figured out yet. Other than Andre this is the same team as last year with a bunch more experience.......

True but a center can make or break a team. 1 player is 20% of your lineup. Look at the Lakers after Shaq left. This team will be fine we just need to stay positive and help the rookie coach out.

TheDoctor
12-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Luke had 0 pts and 1 rebound against MN.......I would guess your consensus after watching only that game would be that we need more inside presense. ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
12-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Agreed...but even better on how they did it....and what winks said is amazing to hear from him....he wanted this game sooooo bad! and the team responded...LOVE IT!

Jdubs21
12-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Don't blame saul just yet....miles didnt exactly put up win after win his first year. Its gonna take some time to get used to each others style and build better player to coach chemistry, luckily it should be a little faster than miles i hope beings saul was his assistant

lakesbison
12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
From Terry Vandorec's SDSU BLOG... DAM IM STARTING TO HATE SDSU MORE AND MORE!!!

Several folks were less than impressed with the Bison men on Thursday night. Of course, the SDSU women were probably no better today.

Pretty sparse crowd so far. I’m told by the folks from Fargo that ORU counts in twos like so many other schools. (Although in this case, that might be a Biblical thing.)

less than impressed with the bison men huh??? grrr

NDSUstudent
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
From Terry Vandorec's SDSU BLOG... DAM IM STARTING TO HATE SDSU MORE AND MORE!!!

Several folks were less than impressed with the Bison men on Thursday night. Of course, the SDSU women were probably no better today.

Pretty sparse crowd so far. I’m told by the folks from Fargo that ORU counts in twos like so many other schools. (Although in this case, that might be a Biblical thing.)

less than impressed with the bison men huh??? grrr

With the preformance our team had what would you expect?

Swat_Team10
12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
People on the road (OR, UWGB, others) are looking at The Team of the past. A team that had a player giving them 17 and t10 average, and a coach that had the players in HIS program/system for two-three years. This is a different team and a new coach. Bottom line its going to take time. Plus this team is just not as good. Andre was a talent and is badly missed. In college athletics it is all about personell. I would think its safe to say 80-90 percent of it is having recruited talent on the roster. That is why I would say this team is not as good as last seasons. Roster is short a very big hole!

BisonFB
12-11-2007, 01:23 AM
I don't think anyone should expect to much from basketball. Can you imagine recruiting players to the BSA? It sucks. You aren't going to get top talent without top facilities. Period.

And how do you get depth on the bench with 1 scholarship left?

NDSUstudent
12-11-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't think anyone should expect to much from basketball. Can you imagine recruiting players to the BSA? It sucks. You aren't going to get top talent without top facilities. Period.

And how do you get depth on the bench with 1 scholarship left?

This comment had a lot of truth a few years ago but Woodside, Winks, and Nelson have changed everything. Miles proved it can be done and now every coach will have to deal with those expectations. That maybe unfair but at least hope is on the way in the form of the Fargodome addition or BSA renovation.

As for the question about the scholarship, you go out and find the best player possible that can help now and then hope your young bench starts to develop. People act like we have a bunch of expereinced players riding the pine but in reality it is 3 sophmores, a freshman, and a few walk ons.

lakesbison
12-29-2007, 04:20 AM
is there still a PROBLEM??!?!??

NDSUstudent
01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
is there still a PROBLEM??!?!??

Is there still a problem? I'm not going to say Tveidt, Coleman, and Vaughan have arrived but I hope some now realize that not everyone is Ben Woodside. Not all of our recruits will come in as freshman and drop 20 every night. Some will be projects and it will take some a while to get comfortable playing college ball. Now that these guys are showing flashes the next question is can they do it consistantly? If they can, watch out.

90BISON
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Is there still a problem? I'm not going to say Tveidt, Coleman, and Vaughan have arrived but I hope some now realize that not everyone is Ben Woodside. Not all of our recruits will come in as freshman and drop 20 every night. Some will be projects and it will take some a while to get comfortable playing college ball. Now that these guys are showing flashes the next question is can they do it consistantly? If they can, watch out.

If they handle Oakland like they did IPFW last night, then look out!:nod: