PDA

View Full Version : Where's the FIRE....you played MINNESOTA!!

kurosawa
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Came on the board to read some game talk, but things are awfully quiet. Has no one anything to say about what transpired in Williams Arena last night?

bisonhusker
12-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Since you are a Gopher fan, I will start. We got DOMINATED. How is that? It wasn't close. Just wait until Tubby has a couple of his recruiting classes come in. HELLO. Love that guy. They took away everything we had. Brutal.

TheBisonator
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey, what can I say?? We got killed by a team who I think not only will be going to the Big Dance, but may even get to the Sweet 16 this year.

The Gophers in my mind are a top-25 basketball team. They're just better, top to bottom.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, what can I say?? We got killed by a team who I think not only will be going to the Big Dance, but may even get to the Sweet 16 this year.

The Gophers in my mind are a top-25 basketball team. They're just better, top to bottom.

What..............???????????????

TheBisonator
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
What..............???????????????

Yes, I said it. The Gophers will go to the tourney. One piece of evidince I can see from a team that is good enough for the field of 65 is that if they take care of all the mid-major teams on their schedule. I followed Gopher basketball for many years as a kid (it was the only Gophers team I rooted for - Gopher football always sucked), and I noticed this kind of thing when they would regularly get in the dance in the 90's. They always took care of business non-conference. MN has done exactly that. I saw the game last night, and while I admit the Bison stunk it up, the Gophers played EXTREMELY well. They may finish 4th or 5th in the Big 10 this year.

bisonhusker
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Wait until the Gophers face a team with athletic big men.

kurosawa
12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
These are good comments--respectful and insightful. Regarding the DAC opponents, you might want to hang onto a couple of those. Besides, you played Florida tough, didn't you?

Where's LAKESBISON? HE'S ALWAYS FUN...(oops, sorry about the caps lock; didn't want to scream at you.) I've never met him personally, but does LAKESBISON remind anybody else of the Crispin Glover character in "River's Edge?"

lakesbison
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Like I said on GOPHERHOLE this morning.

We have a couple OPEN dates in our football schedule, pick a date and STEP UP!!

p.s- refs just let them MAUL us in the 1st half, and we can't play BASKETBALL when it's a football game out there on the floor.

AND we had no answer for the down low game.

p.s.s- Woody had 2 three pointers go in and out in first 5 minutes, if even one of those drop, maybe that 20-18 lead we had wouldve been 23-18.

p.s.s.s- gopher fans are so freakin arrogant, its laughable. but they sure got quiet when I walked out yelling 27-21 !!!

bisontown
12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Walking out saying 27-21 should be an embarrassment to you. The Bison football team was at least two scores better than the gophers. The Bison let them hang around, and hang around, and the gophers should have had a chance to win at the end, if not for a moronic roughing the punter penalty. Something gopher football fans have been accustomed to seeing = moronic plays.

The gopher basketball team did what the bison football team should have done. Destroyed an inferior opponent. Can blame whatever you want, the gophers destroyed the bison in every aspect. That is what good teams do, destroy inferior teams, something the bison football team had trouble doing, especially to end the season.

Hopefully the bison basketball team can regroup and figure something out. If not, they could be in for a long season, especially playing teams with any sort of inside presence.

MN Snowman
12-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Last night I sat a few rows behind an NDSU "fan." Turns out that fan is LakesBison. About the only positive thing you can say about him is that he is passionate.

Lakes brags he "shut up the Gopher fans." And he's right.

The older couple sitting behind him were aghast at his behavior -- and choices of profanity. The other Gopher fans around him were pretty quiet ... they didn't want to do anything to rile a guy who clearly had lost all sense of proportion. And when he left while yelling incomprehensible "taunts" most folks looked at each other and cast sympathetic gazes on the poor demented guy who somehow defines himself by how well "his" team does.

After all, in Lakes world, no Bison can commit a foul and no Bison can miss a shot without being fouled. Bison turnover? "He was fouled, man." Bison getting outrebounded? "That Gopher was all over him, man."

Very bizarre. My condolences to you who put up with him on this board ... and to your fans who have to listen to him when you play at home. While passion is great, a bit of grounding in reality is needed.

kurosawa
12-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Sounds like the Crispin Glover character in "River's Edge" to me.

scottheck
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I've followed Gopher BB since moving to MN. This is definitely a different team than the they've had since I've watched. It obviously starts with the coach. I don't think they have the offensive firepower to stay with the best teams in the country but their defensive intensity will be hard to match. They are certainly better athletes and a better team than we are; as should be expected from the Big Ten. They may even make the final 65. They will be more fun the watch than in recent years. It's too bad we won't be able to unless you can find the BTN. What a joke that is!!!

sambini
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Congrats to the Gophers. The better team won and Tubby has them going in the right direction.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
We're not a basketball school, never have been, never will be.

SDbison
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Last night I sat a few rows behind an NDSU "fan." Turns out that fan is LakesBison. About the only positive thing you can say about him is that he is passionate.

Lakes brags he "shut up the Gopher fans." And he's right.

The older couple sitting behind him were aghast at his behavior -- and choices of profanity. The other Gopher fans around him were pretty quiet ... they didn't want to do anything to rile a guy who clearly had lost all sense of proportion. And when he left while yelling incomprehensible "taunts" most folks looked at each other and cast sympathetic gazes on the poor demented guy who somehow defines himself by how well "his" team does.

After all, in Lakes world, no Bison can commit a foul and no Bison can miss a shot without being fouled. Bison turnover? "He was fouled, man." Bison getting outrebounded? "That Gopher was all over him, man."

Very bizarre. My condolences to you who put up with him on this board ... and to your fans who have to listen to him when you play at home. While passion is great, a bit of grounding in reality is needed.
OK, you made your point about Lakes. Yes, the Bison were not fouled on every trip down the court, and some bad decisions and bad shots helped seal NDSU's fate, along with some nice shooting by Minnesota.......BUT, I think Tubbys aggressive defense (at least the way it was played against NDSU) will get Minnesota in foul trouble on the road, especially against non-conference opponents. The way the refs called that game it looked more like football than basketball. BTW, Tollifson (sp?) sure can get away with lowering the shoulder and driving through a defender. NDSU is certainly not a big physical team and will get beat badly by any team that can play rough and get away with it. Regardless Minnesota was a better team before the game started and proved it is much better after it was over. Good luck to the Gophers in the Big Ten and beyond.......

kurosawa
12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
By its very nature, the ball-line defense pioneered by J.D. Barnett and deployed by Barnett disciple Tubby generates fouls. It's imperative, therefore, that any team playing ball-line goes at least nine deep. Tubby looks to have generated a good 10-man rotation. Last night, 10 players played between 16 and 36 minutes. That's balance.

lakesbison
12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Snowman Has Been On My Ass Like A Hemmorhoid At Gopherhole.com So Remember That When He SENSATIONLIZES A TAD BIT. . and i was in 3rd row . . so check yo.self b4 ur wreck yo.self

UTH
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Snowman Has Been On My Ass Like A Hemmorhoid At Gopherhole.com So Remember That When He SENSATIONLIZES A TAD BIT. . and i was in 3rd row . . so check yo.self b4 ur wreck yo.self

First post and he comes out gunning for an internet fight - Mr. Lakes, should I fish out another statue for him or fire up the popcorn popper?

DORMIE
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Lakes, remember you are not only representing yourself when you act like a Jackass, you are also represention the rest of Bison Nation. In golf you win with class and lose with class. Looks like you might have to learn both ends.

lakesbison
12-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Dormie . . . He SNOWMAN doesnt know me. . screw him. . i wasnt a jackass . i was with my 2 brothers. . ask the senior members of da A.D DEPT. geez!

UTH
12-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Lakes, remember you are not only representing yourself when you act like a Jackass, you are also represention the rest of Bison Nation. In golf you win with class and lose with class. Looks like you might have to learn both ends.

I have no idea where the golf reference comes from, but this whole snowman thing smells funny to me. This looks a lot like a novel approach for trolling. He comes in the side door and picks a fight that many in Bisonville want to see. Time will tell...

Mr. Burgundy
12-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I find it hard to believe that Lakes was not a perfect gentleman in the stands. If anyone knows "Class" it is Lakes. You must be pointing the finger at the wrong fan....wait, he told everyone where he was sitting....like he does at every event he goes to. Clean it up, act like a Bison.

CaBisonFan
12-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Came on the board to read some game talk, but things are awfully quiet. Has no one anything to say about what transpired in Williams Arena last night?

It was a total dismantling...much like the Bison took apart the Gophers in football the past two years...but the difference last night was that the score actually showed it. About 2 minutes into the game I could see the handwriting.

The Bison just couldn't match up, especially inside the paint...and there were very few uncontested shots...not many good looks at the basket anywhere on the court. The two new guards look quick and athletic. They hounded Woodside to death.

The Gopher defense was Tubby's style. It's a great pressure defense...stifling. I'll predict that the Gophers will challenge to be in the top 3 or 4 in the Big Eleven. Looks like Tubby was an excellent choice to rebuild the once-proud Gopher basketball tradition...one that I've been a fan of since the Musselman days. Been to the barn for many, many games. As much as I wanted the Bison to play a stronger game...I'm glad to see that the Gophers are back.

CaBisonFan
12-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Yes, I said it. The Gophers will go to the tourney. One piece of evidince I can see from a team that is good enough for the field of 65 is that if they take care of all the mid-major teams on their schedule. I followed Gopher basketball for many years as a kid (it was the only Gophers team I rooted for - Gopher football always sucked), and I noticed this kind of thing when they would regularly get in the dance in the 90's. They always took care of business non-conference. MN has done exactly that. I saw the game last night, and while I admit the Bison stunk it up, the Gophers played EXTREMELY well. They may finish 4th or 5th in the Big 10 this year.

I agree that this is a potential Big Dance team from Minnesota. They are athletic, quick, and strong. If they are willing to play Tubby's defense...they're in.

CaBisonFan
12-06-2007, 04:54 AM

I've never met you lakesbison, but you're a Bison fan, and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Sounds like we picked up a troll from gopherhole that wants to pick a fight here.

Relax...and don't write to this guy. That's my suggestion.

This is an interesting attitude from someone that claims the Bison and the Gophers aren't rivals.

CaBisonFan
12-06-2007, 04:55 AM
First post and he comes out gunning for an internet fight - Mr. Lakes, should I fish out another statue for him or fire up the popcorn popper?

That's a bullseye herd.

CaBisonFan
12-06-2007, 05:11 AM

You came on bisonville to ask about the 'fire' in Bison country. We've come to your house to play every game...in every sport. We've seen the home crowds at your place. It's not impressive...and that's being kind.

So I ask..."where's the fire in Gopher country?" I haven't seen a fired up Gopher crowd in football or basketball since Lou and Clem were in town. It's been rather 'academic' since then...hasn't it? Maybe I'll have to write a paper about it...for credit. But I'll do my own work.

I do understand though. You're still hurting from the football game...you know...the one where the Bison crowd took over the baggie and a complete thrashing took place on the field. But that's not unique is it? Wisconsin and Iowa have done the same thing for years.

How about a trip to Fargo for your football or basketball team? It'd be interesting to see how much 'fire' the Gopher fans would bring. Would 10 or 15 people from the Twin Cities make the trip...or even maybe 50? 50 might be pushing it. Maybe you'd need to charter a bus and offer free booze.

But I know...we're not rivals...and we wouldn't be worthy of a visit.

PS - You could bring the band...and we'd hold their instruments at the door. We'd let them hold signs and cheer though. At least I think that'd be allowed. I'd have to check with the coach to see if that would be OK.

SDbison
12-06-2007, 06:46 AM
You came on bisonville to ask about the 'fire' in Bison country. We've come to your house to play every game...in every sport. We've seen the home crowds at your place. It's not impressive...and that's being kind.

So I ask..."where's the fire in Gopher country?" I haven't seen a fired up Gopher crowd in football or basketball since Lou and Clem were in town. It's been rather 'academic' since then...hasn't it? Maybe I'll have to write a paper about it...for credit. But I'll do my own work.

I do understand though. You're still hurting from the football game...you know...the one where the Bison crowd took over the baggie and a complete thrashing took place on the field. But that's not unique is it? Wisconsin and Iowa have done the same thing for years.

How about a trip to Fargo for your football or basketball team? It'd be interesting to see how much 'fire' the Gopher fans would bring. Would 10 or 15 people from the Twin Cities make the trip...or even maybe 50? 50 might be pushing it. Maybe you'd need to charter a bus and offer free booze.

But I know...we're not rivals...and we wouldn't be worthy of a visit.

PS - You could bring the band...and we'd hold their instruments at the door. We'd let them hold signs and cheer though. At least I think that'd be allowed. I'd have to check with the coach to see if that would be OK.
Great post CaBisonFan! Let's see if the Gopher trolls respond.....doubtful.

kurosawa
12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Here's the truth:

North Dakota--as a state--is a total non-entity nationally. NO ONE pays any attention to it. It has no glitz, no glamor, no identity. It's losing population. The only time most people east of Eau Claire, south of Yankton, or west of Billings have heard of Fargo is the Coen brothers film.

North Dakota State? Again, NO ONE knows or cares about you. You are totally off the radar. Big season in football? They're loving it in Bismarck. I respect Craig Bohl a great deal, but doesn't it tell you something about the level of competition and the institution at which he's coaching when he can't get a sniff from the likes of Duke and Colorado State?

Like most neglected children, you whine and stomp your feet to get attention. You flood another school's board with insults, then lash back when one comes on yours. (Does the fact that one--ONE--troll bothered to come on your board--and in a rather good-natured way, at that--tell you something about just how much fans in Minnesota care about you?)

So...I leave you to winter and obscurity. You'd be a joke if anybody knew about you. Deal with it.

BlueBisonRock
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's the truth:

North Dakota--as a state--is a total non-entity nationally. NO ONE pays any attention to it. It has no glitz, no glamor, no identity. It's losing population. The only time most people east of Eau Claire, south of Yankton, or west of Billings have heard of Fargo is the Coen brothers film.

North Dakota State? Again, NO ONE knows or cares about you. You are totally off the radar. Big season in football? They're loving it in Bismarck. I respect Craig Bohl a great deal, but doesn't it tell you something about the level of competition and the institution at which he's coaching when he can't get a sniff from the likes of Duke and Colorado State?

Like most neglected children, you whine and stomp your feet to get attention. You flood another school's board with insults, then lash back when one comes on yours. (Does the fact that one--ONE--troll bothered to come on your board--and in a rather good-natured way, at that--tell you something about just how much fans in Minnesota care about you?)

So...I leave you to winter and obscurity. You'd be a joke if anybody knew about you. Deal with it.

Wow kurby - Your true colors have been shown. For a while, I thought you might have something to contribute, but ... Your rant has proven otherwise.

I have lived in SE MN since 1988. I have earned an MBA from your prestigious school. My daughter is a U of MN graduate. U of MN football results and the fan support has embarrassed me since I became a Minnesotan. Basketball has proven it can win ONLY when academics and ethical behavior are tossed out the window. Thank God for a wrestling team that has proven that work and ethics do create national championships. The jury is still out on hockey.

The national image of UofMN sports - especially football and basketball (pre Tubby) is a disgrace. Even the 'Who hates Iowa' cheers are a bare whisper today. Your only outlet to address your self image issues are to rant about a ‘lesser state’. Guess what. Minnesota is also a part of that wide flyover gap between NY and LA. Both coasts would make the same ignorant statements as you about MN. Of course, I would rather have NO identity like the ND you portray when the alternative is to be known as a cheating wannabe or as totally inept as the U.

Speaking as a UofMN alumni, kids like you need to learn some socialization skills. This ranting of yours would result in a failing grade in high school classes. You may catch a break with your childish behavior at the U as most UofMN undergrad classes are taught by grad students not professors like those lesser universities.

If you have something positive to contribute, please do so. If you are looking to stroke your ego by ranting and dissing on other team's boards - go elsewhere. You are embarrassing UofMN alumni with your immaturity.

90BISON
12-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow kurby - Your true colors have been shown. For a while, I thought you might have something to contribute, but ... Your rant has proven otherwise.

I have lived in SE MN since 1988. I have earned an MBA from your prestigious school. My daughter is a U of MN graduate. U of MN football results and the fan support has embarrassed me since I became a Minnesotan. Basketball has proven it can win ONLY when academics and ethical behavior are tossed out the window. Thank God for a wrestling team that has proven that work and ethics do create national championships. The jury is still out on hockey.

The national image of UofMN sports - especially football and basketball (pre Tubby) is a disgrace. Even the 'Who hates Iowa' cheers are a bare whisper today. Your only outlet to address your self image issues are to rant about a ‘lesser state’. Guess what. Minnesota is also a part of that wide flyover gap between NY and LA. Both coasts would make the same ignorant statements as you about MN. Of course, I would rather have NO identity like the ND you portray when the alternative is to be known as a cheating wannabe or as totally inept as the U.

Speaking as a UofMN alumni, kids like you need to learn some socialization skills. This ranting of yours would result in a failing grade in high school classes. You may catch a break with your childish behavior at the U as most UofMN undergrad classes are taught by grad students not professors like those lesser universities.

If you have something positive to contribute, please do so. If you are looking to stroke your ego by ranting and dissing on other team's boards - go elsewhere. You are embarrassing UofMN alumni with your immaturity.

Going, going, ........ it's outta here.:nod: (think home run)

onbison09
12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

CaBisonFan
12-07-2007, 03:41 AM

I know who this guy is on gopherhole...almost positive. The username is Kelly Leeks. Could be wrong, because there are two or three other people like this over there.

Before the big game this fall Kelly was doing his best to diss the entire state of North Dakota and everyone who lived there. If it is Kelly...he/she has no credibility on gopherhole either.

Thanks for the good post. I lived in Benson and Clinton (teaching band) for quite a few years. I agree that it would be nice to see Gopher fans cheering 'for' their team someday in the barn again.

Whoever this is...the cover's been blown clear off.

I'm not proud of this...so take it in the most positive way...but a lot of people from CA couldn't even find Minnesota or either of the Dakotas on the map. But I'd take that as a good thing. At least one part of the country needs to stay beautiful.

CaBisonFan
12-07-2007, 03:51 AM

You didn't come here to talk about the game. You're kelly leeks from the gopherhole.

Something must really be bugging you kelly. Coming over to bisonville to express your bitterness about life in general tells a lot about you.

But I will give you credit for being consistent. Nobody respects you over there either.

CaBisonFan
12-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Great post CaBisonFan! Let's see if the Gopher trolls respond.....doubtful.

thanks

The troll is probably kelly leeks from the gopherhole. But this guy is a different kind of hole. He makes a hobby of dissing all of the states and teams that the Gophers play. There's something seriously wrong with him/her. Leeks has a few buddies over there that engage in the same BS. They're a biohazard on the gopherhole board. Real Minnesota fans can't stand him there either.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2007, 04:27 AM

So what, I hate that thinking. Pretty soon the mens team will be 14-16 but it'll be ok because we aren't a basketball school. Believe it or not, basketball is a major part of the DI move. It will play a major role for those who want to join a FBS conference some day and until then will be the only sport that can bring massive amounts of exposure to the school. Basketball is something that should be taken very seriously and not something that is just pushed to the side because we'll always be a football school.

If the program ever gets a real arena to call home and not some high school like pile of crap the team would sell tickets. You put a good product on the court night in and night out and they would sell a lot of tickets. Hallstrom wasn't lying when he called basketball the sleeping giant at NDSU.

99Bison
12-07-2007, 05:21 AM
So what, I hate that thinking. Pretty soon the mens team will be 14-16 but it'll be ok because we aren't a basketball school. Believe it or not, basketball is a major part of the DI move. It will play a major role for those who want to join a FBS conference some day and until then will be the only sport that can bring massive amounts of exposure to the school. Basketball is something that should be taken very seriously and not something that is just pushed to the side because we'll always be a football school.

If the program ever gets a real arena to call home and not some high school like pile of crap the team would sell tickets. You put a good product on the court night in and night out and they would sell a lot of tickets. Hallstrom wasn't lying when he called basketball the sleeping giant at NDSU.

NDSUstudent, agree with you here. Bison Basketball has the potential to be the biggest single exposure the area can produce. Big time sleeping Giant!

BlueBisonRock
12-07-2007, 06:32 AM
I know who this guy is on gopherhole...almost positive. The username is Kelly Leeks. Could be wrong, because there are two or three other people like this over there.

Before the big game this fall Kelly was doing his best to diss the entire state of North Dakota and everyone who lived there. If it is Kelly...he/she has no credibility on gopherhole either.

Thanks for the good post. I lived in Benson and Clinton (teaching band) for quite a few years. I agree that it would be nice to see Gopher fans cheering 'for' their team someday in the barn again.

Whoever this is...the cover's been blown clear off.

I'm not proud of this...so take it in the most positive way...but a lot of people from CA couldn't even find Minnesota or either of the Dakotas on the map. But I'd take that as a good thing. At least one part of the country needs to stay beautiful.

Thanks. I suspected Pretty Boy Kelly and have followed some of his rants on gopherhole. It was obvious that some NE ND gal with some common sense shut him down because of his ranting in the hole. Someone should have told him that ND women also had brains and taste to go with their good looks and that he would not have a chance in hell.

Quite honestly (and lacking any PC), I would take ten of Lakes before considering one Kelly. (Lakes, this is a backhanded complement).

bisoneer
12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey, does Tubby coach football too??? That sounds like a good plan if they EVER want to get to the Rose Bowl.

BigDeal
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks. I suspected Pretty Boy Kelly and have followed some of his rants on gopherhole. It was obvious that some NE ND gal with some common sense shut him down because of his ranting in the hole. Someone should have told him that ND women also had brains and taste to go with their good looks and that he would not have a chance in hell.

Quite honestly (and lacking any PC), I would take ten of Lakes before considering one Kelly. (Lakes, this is a backhanded complement).

++++++++ That guy (KellyLeeks... oh hell, Lakes for that matter) has an unnatural and demented obsession with NDSU. I think of Lakes as a super fan and Leeks as something I do in the snow. You'll notice he still brings up NDSU at least once a week if not more on the football boards on GH.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2007, 04:07 AM

We can be both. I agree.