PDA

View Full Version : FBS playoff

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I know we all wish they had one. It was brought up on the Coach bohl thread so instead of posting it there I thought I would throw out this article that I saw on money and a playoff system instead of getting off topic on that thread. Interesting reading down a long ways in the blog under "Just how much money would a college football playoff generate."

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatBlog.htm

99Bison
11-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Playoff's are coming eventually. By the time it happens it will be a forgone conclusion, and everyone will say, duh this is obvious and should have happened years ago.

aces1180
11-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Playoff's are coming eventually. By the time it happens it will be a forgone conclusion, and everyone will say, duh this is obvious and should have happened years ago.

Yeah, it will make everything better from a fan perspective...Kind of like the weekends of March Madness.

SlickVic
11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it will make everything better from a fan perspective...Kind of like the weekends of March Madness.

from a fans perspective theres nothing better than college football the way it is now...every weekend from september to december is like "march madness"...a playoff would ruin college football

TransAmBison
11-28-2007, 08:17 PM
from a fans perspective theres nothing better than college football the way it is now...every weekend from september to december is like "march madness"...a playoff would ruin college football
Got to disagree with you there. I'd have way more interest in FBS if there weren't the BS bowl games. Would like to see teams earn a championship through the playoffs. They'd have to play the best teams when they are playing their best at the end.

99Bison
11-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Actually right now it's pretty pointless... Because there is a one game playoff. Before that game came about it was about tradition, going to conference affiliated bowl games, etc. That at least had some meaning for more than one game.

Not to mention now that there are so many bowls that it's just pomp and circumstance unless you are in the N/C game.

The formula is now always the same. Argue about which two teams deserve to be in the game. At least with a playoff of 8-16 teams you can avoid having to surmise the top two, yeah people are going to complain about not getting a shot in the playoff's. However, if you are in any current FBS conference and go undefeated odds are you will be a top 16 team regardless. And if you are from a power conference you can probably lose up to 2 games and still get in.

Originally the BCS folks were concerned about the dollars the bowls generated, now they are finally seeing oh wait a minute... wow look at what Basketball is making. It's just a matter of time and it will seem obvious. People are generally change adverse, and need baby steps, this is just another example.

bisonmike2
11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally the BCS folks were concerned about the dollars the bowls generated, now they are finally seeing oh wait a minute... wow look at what Basketball is making. It's just a matter of time and it will seem obvious. People are generally change adverse, and need baby steps, this is just another example.

I think they are starting to see that money can be made in a playoff system. Sponsors won't have a problem attaching their name to playoff games. The biggest hurdle might come from the cities that host the bowl games. Even the middle tier bowls draw interest and fans and you're going to have to tell a city that they aren't going to host a bowl game anymore, losing advertising and tourism dollars. They won't go down without a fight.

SlickVic
11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Actually right now it's pretty pointless... Because there is a one game playoff. Before that game came about it was about tradition, going to conference affiliated bowl games, etc. That at least had some meaning for more than one game.

Not to mention now that there are so many bowls that it's just pomp and circumstance unless you are in the N/C game.

The formula is now always the same. Argue about which two teams deserve to be in the game. At least with a playoff of 8-16 teams you can avoid having to surmise the top two, yeah people are going to complain about not getting a shot in the playoff's. However, if you are in any current FBS conference and go undefeated odds are you will be a top 16 team regardless. And if you are from a power conference you can probably lose up to 2 games and still get in.

pointless?? if there was a 8-16 game playoff this season think of all the pointless games there would have been over the last 2-3 weeks...ohio state michigan pointless...lsu ar kansas? pointless...kansas missouri pointless...then lets move to this weekend...the way it is now im just jacked for this weekend football wise...if there was a play-off? this weekend would be pointless...va tech boston college rematch? pointless...oklahoma missouri? pointless...SEC title game? pointless...the only "play-off" id want to see is a final four format

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2007, 09:01 PM
You would only lose 8 bowl games as you would be taking out 16 teams. The rest can go to named bowl games. Play the last 3 games in the tournament at a neutral site and name those games. This would bring in a ton of money to the NCAA. If they follow the wetzell plan every conference would have a shot and it would give the macs wacs and others a chance at a national title. I think it would also bring even more parity to college football.

BisonAccountant44
11-28-2007, 09:05 PM
pointless?? if there was a 8-16 game playoff this season think of all the pointless games there would have been over the last 2-3 weeks...ohio state michigan pointless...lsu ar kansas? pointless...kansas missouri pointless...then lets move to this weekend...the way it is now im just jacked for this weekend football wise...if there was a play-off? this weekend would be pointless...va tech boston college rematch? pointless...oklahoma missouri? pointless...SEC title game? pointless...the only "play-off" id want to see is a final four format

It's not about just the last two weekends of the regular season. All of those games are still going to have plenty of meaning. Are you going to tell me that these teams and fans aren't going to care if their team goes into the playoffs at 11-0 or 10-1? That could make a huge seeding difference in the world of FBS football and could cost them at least 1 home playoff game. That seems like it would matter to me. What you're trying to say now is that in a playoff system all regular season games are pointless, and that's just not true.

Sure the conference championship games will most likely have to go away, but a playoff is the only way a TRUE champion will ever be crowned in FBS. It has the potential to generate much more revenue than the current bowl system, the regular season will still mean just as much as it does now (you can't honestly tell me that games like OH St v.UoMI are ever meaningless) and imho it's going to be a key in the Bison making the decision of when/whether to move up.

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2007, 09:05 PM

I disagree. The games throughout the year would count for more teams than just the top 6 or 8. They would all be playing for the coveted playoff spot and it would make the conference championships mean that much more with a automatic qualifier on the line. A game at the beginning of a season would be just as important as one at the end of the season.

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2007, 09:10 PM
imho it's going to be a key in the Bison making the decision of when/whether to move up.

I agree, I don't want to move up and be a 11-0 wac or mac team and finish 10th in the nation. If we ever moved up the way it is right now we would never have a chance at a national championship again.

Swany
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Playoffs will not generate more money -- think corporate sponsorship for bowl games (about 30 bowl games now), the towns involved and their political pull and economic interests, and the TV $$$ from bowls and the conference tie ins. If you seriously think that there will be anything more than a +1 "play-off" format you are mistaken. Would I love to see a playoff? Absolutely. But the bowls are Americana, and give teams that would never make the play-offs (think Central Michigan) and opportunity to play in a very meaningful post-season game. Don't argue the Central Michigans would have a shot -- realistically they wouldn't, the Boise State's of last year are few and far between. And again, this is college fball, not college bball.

But for sake of argumen, let's say there is a playoff. How many teams? Wouldn't be more than 16. So, now, instead of 60ish teams playing a meaningful post season game you have 16. Do you really think conferences like the WAC, Mountain West, etc. would really want that? The NCAA March Madness works, and satisfies conferences, because they have automatic tie-ins for the Big Dance and there is enough room for plenty of at large births from power conferences (and think again TV money and corporate sponsors). Further, the NCAA March Madness works because you can have the Valpo's, Witchita State's, Butler's and George Mason's making the Sweet 16 and beyond. That would not happen in a playoff. A team such as Boise (last year) had a 2-in-10 shot to beat Oklahoma, and they did. That Boise team, or a good team from a mid major, could not make it through a 4 game playoff.

If you watch college football and know anything about football you know how true that is. There is a big difference between the level of play in the SEC, ACC, et al and C-USA, Mid-American, et al. Those who draw comparisons between the NCAA March Madness and college fball are comparing apples to pickles and gnorant to the major differences, talent levels, and realities of why a March Madness set up would never work for college football.

You cannot justify, for the sake of equity, nor make everyone happy in giving the Mountain West, C-USA, Mid-Americans, Sun Belt, and WAC auto-bids. Maybe Hawaii and Boise would compete with the upper echelon teams from the BCS conferences. If you have a 16 team play-off, that is 11 spots taken by auto-bids and 5 at larges. Then what do you do with all the teams not playing? Too bad? The best teams would not be playing for the championship, if they were, you might have 1 (2 tops) mid majors in a playoff format per season. The mid levels teams from BCS conferences would spank the top teams from the mid majors in college football.

Generally, the debate of who is the best team in college football each year doesn't extend past a handful of teams. That is why the +1 format, for the time being, makes the most sense. Cry equity and fairness all you want, but for these school presidents and AD's it is about doing what is in the best interest of their schools -- and from the Big Ten, to the WAC, it is not a playoff system. That is why, outside of two or three AD's and coaches, there hasn't been a push for a playoff format.

UTH
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Accidentally posted elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVic http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=163283#post163283)
think a four team play-off would be the only "play-off" format worth while...

...as far as im concerned, the final four format would be the one and only option

This is along the lines that I've been thinking. Four teams would be the best option as it stands right now, unless they bring the number of teams up to five and figure in some sort of a wild card game. Match up all the 'little bowls' and then have the big boys duke it out toward the end of the bowl season for the prize. IMHO, this would give them a 2-for-1. They get a full bowl season and the teams get their big money payoffs. Then, they can have the mother of all hyped up events with three or four games between the best teams in FBS football. How this would not be exciting boggles my mind. The eventual national champion would have to play at least two games against other teams deemed to be of NC caliber. If the national champion were given a lower seed, that means that they had to win three games against other top five teams. It may not have completely solved that little Boise State problem last year, but there definitely would have been more legitimacy to it and the excitement ought to be incredible.

*thank you slick for posting this in english.

EmeraldCityBison
11-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Here's what I would like to see....

Have a field of 16 where all 11 conference champions receive an autobid. Then throw in 5 at large teams like Wetzel suggests. But the beauty is that you wouldn't have to eliminate any bowls. A 16-team playoff field would make 15 bowl games. The championship game could still be the Orange Bowl, the semifinals could be the Rose and Fiesta Bowls, and on down the line. They could even rotate the championship bowl game each year. That would be the real Bowl Championship Series. Imagine....the eventual champion would win 4 bowl games in one season. Tell me how that would not make more money than the current system as well as crown a legit champion. The other 15 or so bowls could still be played with the same criteria used now only applying it to the teams not in the "BCS". Everyone wins and it would maybe even generate some parity.

fargocyclone
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Then what do you do with all the teams not playing? Too bad?

Implementing a playoff does not mean the bowls must go. Those who are not selected for the playoff field should still be able to get invites to lower bowls. It's not a "one or the other" situation, there can (and I think should) be some overlap.

I also think that having auto-bids for the lower conferences will have a huge effect on the skill level in those conferences. Think of the recruiting angle a coach there can take: "Come play for us...We can get to the playoffs more easily than a lower team from say the Big11Ten or Big XII!" Once those teams get spotlight in the big (football) dance, recruiting there may go way up. Maybe even after a few years with a playoff, there won't be such a big gap between the major and minor conferences anymore.

Just some thoughts. Flame away!

UTH
11-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Here's what I would like to see....

Have a field of 16 where all 11 conference champions receive an autobid. Then throw in 5 at large teams like Wetzel suggests. But the beauty is that you wouldn't have to eliminate any bowls. A 16-team playoff field would make 15 bowl games. The championship game could still be the Orange Bowl, the semifinals could be the Rose and Fiesta Bowls, and on down the line. They could even rotate the championship bowl game each year. That would be the real Bowl Championship Series. Imagine....the eventual champion would win 4 bowl games in one season. Tell me how that would not make more money than the current system as well as crown a legit champion. The other 15 or so bowls could still be played with the same criteria used now only applying it to the teams not in the "BCS". Everyone wins and it would maybe even generate some parity.

This would be the fairest way to determine the national champion will be, but I don't think it would produce sufficient revenues to warrant a change from the bowl system they have right now. If only 16 teams remain after the season, what is everyone else going to do? If "your team" doesn't make the final 16, are you going to hang out long enough to watch the elite few finish their seasons? If "your team" made the cut, how well are your fans going to travel? Will they have the stamina, interest, and funds to travel to four games at various locations around the country? You know that the various bowls would certainly remain as venues for the playoff games. The full 16 team field wouldn't be a viable option as things stand now.

Besides, the only thing that everybody cares about is who the national champion will be. You don't need a full set of 16 teams to find the best in the land.

Hammerhead
11-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Not many fans travel for the football playoffs in every other division and subdivision of the NCAA. That is why the playoffs DO make every game in the regular season important. 10-2 could mean a home game in the 1st round while 9-3 means you hit the road instead.

As for money, how many people really watch most bowl games? I don't give a monkey's butt about watching Central Michigan play Alabama State in the Piggly Wiggly bowl on December 27th. If there was a true playoff, I'd watch at least 2 games each round.

EmeraldCityBison
11-29-2007, 01:57 AM
This would be the fairest way to determine the national champion will be, but I don't think it would produce sufficient revenues to warrant a change from the bowl system they have right now. If only 16 teams remain after the season, what is everyone else going to do? If "your team" doesn't make the final 16, are you going to hang out long enough to watch the elite few finish their seasons? If "your team" made the cut, how well are your fans going to travel? Will they have the stamina, interest, and funds to travel to four games at various locations around the country? You know that the various bowls would certainly remain as venues for the playoff games. The full 16 team field wouldn't be a viable option as things stand now.

Besides, the only thing that everybody cares about is who the national champion will be. You don't need a full set of 16 teams to find the best in the land.

Fair enough. How about the first 2 rounds are not at a neutral site and make it the games "traveling" bowls (ie. 1st round game: Central Michigan at Missouri and call it the Outback bowl). Plus, how many ADs wouldn't love the chance to play in multiple bowls in the post season. Think of the $$$. And if you don't make the 16 BCS slots, you would still have a shot at a lower tier bowl but no chance to win a championship. Just like now.

Bison bison
11-29-2007, 02:46 AM
I'd trade a FCS national title for a top 25 rating.

I'd trade a dozen for a BSC bowl game.

99Bison
11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Playoffs will not generate more money -- think corporate sponsorship for bowl games (about 30 bowl games now), the towns involved and their political pull and economic interests, and the TV $$$ from bowls and the conference tie ins. If you seriously think that there will be anything more than a +1 "play-off" format you are mistaken. Would I love to see a playoff? Absolutely. But the bowls are Americana, and give teams that would never make the play-offs (think Central Michigan) and opportunity to play in a very meaningful post-season game. Don't argue the Central Michigans would have a shot -- realistically they wouldn't, the Boise State's of last year are few and far between. And again, this is college fball, not college bball.

As everyone else points out you don't drop all bowl games. There would be about 8 less bowl games (for a 16 team play off). The point is not equality or anything of such virtuous nature... It's about would be about more $$$ ultimately and a true playoff system like virutally every other sport uses in the world outside of judging.

I would have to say you are mistakin if you don't think the numerous more playoff games would not seriously trump the revenue of the few bowl games it's replacing. What the corporate sponsors aren't going to jump on that bandwagon?!?!

But for sake of argumen, let's say there is a playoff. How many teams? Wouldn't be more than 16. So, now, instead of 60ish teams playing a meaningful post season game you have 16.

No, you have 8 or ideally 16 teams. The other 50ish are still playing in their bowl game just as today.

Do you really think conferences like the WAC, Mountain West, etc. would really want that? The NCAA March Madness works, and satisfies conferences, because they have automatic tie-ins for the Big Dance and there is enough room for plenty of at large births from power conferences (and think again TV money and corporate sponsors). Further, the NCAA March Madness works because you can have the Valpo's, Witchita State's, Butler's and George Mason's making the Sweet 16 and beyond. That would not happen in a playoff. A team such as Boise (last year) had a 2-in-10 shot to beat Oklahoma, and they did. That Boise team, or a good team from a mid major, could not make it through a 4 game playoff.

First of all they probably wouldn't have to be an Oklahoma 4 times. Probably twice. Second and a bigger point, they may not be able to do it today, but when recruiting it sure is a big thing to through out as a possibility a shot of of playing for a N/C. Where as today the same can't be said. Give it time and it will happen.

Again, you don't think TV and corporate sponsors aren't going to pay for this???

If you watch college football and know anything about football you know how true that is. There is a big difference between the level of play in the SEC, ACC, et al and C-USA, Mid-American, et al. Those who draw comparisons between the NCAA March Madness and college fball are comparing apples to pickles and gnorant to the major differences, talent levels, and realities of why a March Madness set up would never work for college football.

The original comparison for the BB tournament was for revenue, obviously missed that point per the prior comments :). Not sure why this is a concern anyway, you take the top 16 team with autobid from the major conferences. Doesn't have to be everyone like the MAC.

You cannot justify, for the sake of equity, nor make everyone happy in giving the Mountain West, C-USA, Mid-Americans, Sun Belt, and WAC auto-bids. Maybe Hawaii and Boise would compete with the upper echelon teams from the BCS conferences. If you have a 16 team play-off, that is 11 spots taken by auto-bids and 5 at larges. Then what do you do with all the teams not playing? Too bad? The best teams would not be playing for the championship, if they were, you might have 1 (2 tops) mid majors in a playoff format per season. The mid levels teams from BCS conferences would spank the top teams from the mid majors in college football.

As stated before other teams are still playing the the remaining bowls. The idea here is to get as close to the best 16 teams that you can. If that includes 3 teams from a BCS conference so be it.

Generally, the debate of who is the best team in college football each year doesn't extend past a handful of teams. That is why the +1 format, for the time being, makes the most sense. Cry equity and fairness all you want, but for these school presidents and AD's it is about doing what is in the best interest of their schools -- and from the Big Ten, to the WAC, it is not a playoff system. That is why, outside of two or three AD's and coaches, there hasn't been a push for a playoff format.
Not sure who it talking about fair and equity? BTW, I think the original post here was talking about the future not today... and in the future IMO the BCS presidents and AD's are going to want their team to be able to play for a N/C anyway they can in addition to getting as much revenue as possible.

It's about steps and the first step happened when they made the +1. That right there kicked the wheels in motion. Mark my words, it will happen and it will happen one small step at at time.

SlickVic
11-29-2007, 04:29 AM
ntyear in and ear out only a handful of college football teams deserve a chance to play for a natiobal chamionship...this year if missouri and west va get it done id say theres 4 teams that have a good claim to play for the title...ohio state georgia west va and missouri...there is no reason to include 4 other teams who have no buisness playing for a natinal chamionship...playoffs larger than the final four system swoud ruin c fbball no doubt about it...ntnt

RodentiaX
11-29-2007, 03:56 PM
As everyone else points out you don't drop all bowl games. There would be about 8 less bowl games (for a 16 team play off).

I think you would lose more bowl games than that. 16 teams means 4 weeks. It would be hard for a bowl game to compete against a playoff game. That first week of the playoffs, there would be 8 games - definately no room for a bowl game to fit. The next week, 4 games.

I think that a 4-team playoff will happen before long. That will hold for a while, and it will expand to 8. It's possible that the bowl games could be part of the playoffs.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
ntyear in and ear out only a handful of college football teams deserve a chance to play for a natiobal chamionship...this year if missouri and west va get it done id say theres 4 teams that have a good claim to play for the title...ohio state georgia west va and missouri...there is no reason to include 4 other teams who have no buisness playing for a natinal chamionship...playoffs larger than the final four system swoud ruin c fbball no doubt about it...ntnt

What about Hawaii?
LSU and USC would be just as deserving as Georgia.
Kansas has one loss, maybe they should be in instead.
Va Tech only has two losses.
Okla, knocks off Missouri, now you need to throw them into the mix.
Lets not forget Ariz St. and Boston College only have 2 losses as well.

You can not tell me that you can only pick four out of this mess. All those teams have a case and should have their hat thrown into the mix.

8 would be the perfect number. Still makes every game count and keeps a little controversy.

SlickVic
11-29-2007, 06:32 PM
What about Hawaii?
LSU and USC would be just as deserving as Georgia.
Kansas has one loss, maybe they should be in instead.
Va Tech only has two losses.
Okla, knocks off Missouri, now you need to throw them into the mix.
Lets not forget Ariz St. and Boston College only have 2 losses as well.

You can not tell me that you can only pick four out of this mess. All those teams have a case and should have their hat thrown into the mix.

8 would be the perfect number. Still makes every game count and keeps a little controversy.

what about hawaii? even if oklahoma beats missouri they still dont deserve a shot...they lost to colorado and texas tech...colorado and texas tech...lsu deserving of a title shot? whod they lose to kentucky and ar kansas with close calls vs bama and florida? please...oh i havnt forgot about bc or there loss to florida state at home...bc should have 3 losses and you want there hat throw in? maybe in the trash...arizona state? why? who have they beat? usc maybe...theres barely 4 teams worthy of playing for a title...why have an 8 team playoff? that would ruin college football

Bisonguy
11-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Not many fans travel for the football playoffs in every other division and subdivision of the NCAA. That is why the playoffs DO make every game in the regular season important. 10-2 could mean a home game in the 1st round while 9-3 means you hit the road instead.

As for money, how many people really watch most bowl games? I don't give a monkey's butt about watching Central Michigan play Alabama State in the Piggly Wiggly bowl on December 27th. If there was a true playoff, I'd watch at least 2 games each round.

Interesting. I wonder how many fans would attend the games of an 8 or 16 team playoff field if they had to make hasty work/travel plans to attend the game?

That's one benefit of the current bowl system, it gives the fans another 1-2 months to make the arrangements.

SlickVic
11-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Interesting. I wonder how many fans would attend the games of an 8 or 16 team playoff field if they had to make hasty work/travel plans to attend the game?

That's one benefit of the current bowl system, it gives the fans another 1-2 months to make the arrangements.

chea im already making arrangements and the will be finalized in a week or so...just gotta make some serious chedder asap than hopefully ill be a walkin to new orleans...passadena possibley depending what all goes down this weekend

99Bison
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I think you would lose more bowl games than that. 16 teams means 4 weeks. It would be hard for a bowl game to compete against a playoff game. That first week of the playoffs, there would be 8 games - definately no room for a bowl game to fit. The next week, 4 games.

I think that a 4-team playoff will happen before long. That will hold for a while, and it will expand to 8. It's possible that the bowl games could be part of the playoffs.

However, the 33 bowls that exist today don't have much of problem all playing in about a 10 day timeframe...

I don't think any of this is happening next week, but given time there will be a playoff system. As you state it will probably start with 4, then move to 8. Then maybe in the future 16.

99Bison
11-29-2007, 10:28 PM

The playoff's will have a set time period. And there will be travel packages available with ease. If you can even get tickets.... since people other than the two schools supporters will be wanting to attend these things.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
what about hawaii? even if oklahoma beats missouri they still dont deserve a shot...they lost to colorado and texas tech...colorado and texas tech...lsu deserving of a title shot? whod they lose to kentucky and ar kansas with close calls vs bama and florida? please...oh i havnt forgot about bc or there loss to florida state at home...bc should have 3 losses and you want there hat throw in? maybe in the trash...arizona state? why? who have they beat? usc maybe...theres barely 4 teams worthy of playing for a title...why have an 8 team playoff? that would ruin college football

Maybe they shouldnt have a title game at all. Just have a couple polls and maybe split the national championship three ways.

Bisonguy
11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
The playoff's will have a set time period. And there will be travel packages available with ease. If you can even get tickets.... since people other than the two schools supporters will be wanting to attend these things.

Why does college football playoff attendance decrease at every level?

UTH
12-12-2007, 02:14 AM
More fuel for the fire for possibilities in the FBS playoff debate. [linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/bracket?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)]

*my champ ended up being the georgia bulldogs. ohio state lost in the first round!

99Bison
12-12-2007, 05:21 AM

Because almost all are played outside and it gets cold in a huge part of the country... and at levels like DII and DIII quality is dropping. Making the playoff's isn't a big deal there.

Why doesn't NFL playoff football attendance drop?

fargocyclone
12-12-2007, 07:26 AM
More fuel for the fire for possibilities in the FBS playoff debate. [linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/bracket?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)]

*my champ ended up being the georgia bulldogs. ohio state lost in the first round!

That thing is so much fun to play with. Every time though, tOSU lost right away and Clemson would make it to at least the third round...very interesting! Maybe it's trying to tell me something.......

tony
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM

I hope we find out that this doesn't hold true for NDSU. I notice UNI had 16K and 15K for their two playoff games.

roadwarrior
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM

This is easy. Many season tickets are sold to companies that do not spend the additional dollars necessary to buy playoff game tickets.

56BISON73
12-12-2007, 04:49 PM

I would think it has alot to do with the logistics of time and travel. Many season ticket holders and fans plan almost a year in advance for the upcoming games. Especially those that live far away from Fargo. When traveling great distances hotels need to be booked and time from work needs to be taken off unless you are going to get off work jump in the car and drive to your destination for kickoff. Some employers are more flexible than other when it comes to---I need Friday off this week. Money could also be a consideration on such short notice. PL

Bisonguy
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
This is easy. Many season tickets are sold to companies that do not spend the additional dollars necessary to buy playoff game tickets.

I would think it has alot to do with the logistics of time and travel. Many season ticket holders and fans plan almost a year in advance for the upcoming games. Especially those that live far away from Fargo. When traveling great distances hotels need to be booked and time from work needs to be taken off unless you are going to get off work jump in the car and drive to your destination for kickoff. Some employers are more flexible than other when it comes to---I need Friday off this week. Money could also be a consideration on such short notice. PL

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

A two month advance notice helps put butts in the seats for the bowl games due to these reasons.

Kind of a sidenote about attendance- saw this LINKY (http://media.www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2007/09/18/Sports/Mens-Lacrosse.To.Play.At.Ohio.Stadium-2975087.shtml) in a thread on another board, Ohio State had over 75k show up for their spring game this year. My, oh my.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Easy Solution, no changes are needed to the bowl system at all.

8 team playoff.

First round, the week after the conference championship. Top four seeds have a home game.

Semifinals and the losers of the first round games play in the 4 current BCS Bowl Games.

Championship Game is played as the current BCS Championship Game.

All other Bowl games stay the same.

fargocyclone
12-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Easy Solution, no changes are needed to the bowl system at all.

8 team playoff.

First round, the week after the conference championship. Top four seeds have a home game.

Semifinals and the losers of the first round games play in the 4 current BCS Bowl Games.

Championship Game is played as the current BCS Championship Game.

All other Bowl games stay the same.

Except the BCS bowls would be completely worthless then.

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Except the BCS bowls would be completely worthless then.
Actually the BCS bowl games would be worth more as they would actually mean something. PL

fargocyclone
12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Actually the BCS bowl games would be worth more as they would actually mean something. PL

They'd mean more if the losers of the playoffs played in them?? Or did I read that wrong?

Okay, after re-reading, the two semifinal bowls would mean something, but the consolation bowls would matter as much as consolation games in the NCAA basketball tournament.

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 01:54 AM
They'd mean more if the losers of the playoffs played in them?? Or did I read that wrong?

Okay, after re-reading, the two semifinal bowls would mean something, but the consolation bowls would matter as much as consolation games in the NCAA basketball tournament.

""but the consolation bowls would matter as much as consolation games in the NCAA basketball tournament."""

Just like they do now---they dont mean squat. Plus all the other ""mean nothing bowls"" would still go on as they now also. PL
""

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 01:55 AM

Thats still better than the NIT.:D :D PL

SlickVic
12-15-2007, 07:44 AM
""but the consolation bowls would matter as much as consolation games in the NCAA basketball tournament."""

Just like they do now---they dont mean squat. Plus all the other ""mean nothing bowls"" would still go on as they now also. PL
""

what are you talking about the bowls dont mean squat? im just jacked for the bowl games this year and there are always many meaningful matchups

sambini
12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
They need a playoff in the FBS+++++++++

Bisonguy
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
They need a playoff in the FBS+++++++++

Why???????????????

56BISON73
12-15-2007, 05:41 PM
what are you talking about the bowls dont mean squat? im just jacked for the bowl games this year and there are always many meaningful matchups

slick
Follow the thread. Then put into play a thing called reading comprehension. PL

Bison101
12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
slick
Follow the thread. Then put into play a thing called reading comprehension. PL

Funny stuff. +++++++++++:D :D :D

99Bison
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
and the beat goes on...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3185000

bisonmike2
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
and the beat goes on...

Ahhh the few certainties in life; death, taxes and discussions about an FBS playoff system.

fargocyclone
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
and the beat goes on...

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when...

TransAmBison
01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when...
Just like Mclovin gettin' laid??? :D

aces1180
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Just like Mclovin gettin' laid??? :D

I love it when the cop sits down next to him on the bed and apologizes for c**kblocking him. Classic.

TransAmBison
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I love it when the cop sits down next to him on the bed and apologizes for c**kblocking him. Classic.
When the cops pulled him out of the house in handcuffs and made the huge deal in front of everyone I lost it. I couldn't stop laughing. I'm still laughing now.

aces1180
01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
When the cops pulled him out of the house in handcuffs and made the huge deal in front of everyone I lost it. I couldn't stop laughing. I'm still laughing now.

Yeah, I like that part and the whole "stain on the pants" incident...Good lord would that be embarassing.

Thunder_Struck
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
A Plus One system will not solve the problem. 16 team playoff or go back to the traditional bowl games.

99Bison
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
A Plus One system will not solve the problem. 16 team playoff or go back to the traditional bowl games.

It's just the start... need to start small :-)

onbison09
01-07-2008, 11:13 PM
I like the idea of a final 4. Not everyone would be happy but the greedy bowl commisioners could still have their Care Car Bowl and Toliet Bowl. The Rose Bowl would never get switched into that so it would probably be the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta bowl for the semis.

99Bison
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

and on...

bisonmike2
01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

and on...

hopefully we will have more seasons like this past one and hopefully more and more big time programs will feel like they got screwed by the BCS. That's the only way we are going to see change is if several big time football schools get screwed over and over again until they are fed up and demand change.

Gully
01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
hopefully we will have more seasons like this past one and hopefully more and more big time programs will feel like they got screwed by the BCS. That's the only way we are going to see change is if several big time football schools get screwed over and over again until they are fed up and demand change.

I hope not. I enjoy the fact that we compete in the highest division where you can win a real championship. I think they should go back to the way the bowls were pre-BCS. That seemed to work better than the BCS and if push came to shove there could always be split champions.

bisonmike2
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I hope not. I enjoy the fact that we compete in the highest division where you can win a real championship. I think they should go back to the way the bowls were pre-BCS. That seemed to work better than the BCS and if push came to shove there could always be split champions.

I'm just a big fan of playoff football, especially if the game means something. Win you continue, lose you go home. Can you imagine watching the I-aa football playoffs wraping up, followed by DI-a football playoffs and then finishing off with the NFL playoffs. I don't think I would leave my tv for more than a couple hours for a whoe month and a 1/2.