PDA

View Full Version : ESPN jokes NDSU to Pac-10

HooliganBison
11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3129416&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Talks about the coaching carousel and about 3/4 of the way down talks about demoting teams from 1-a and switching them with a 1-aa teams.

aces1180
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3129416&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Talks about the coaching carousel and about 3/4 of the way down talks about demoting teams from 1-a and switching them with a 1-aa team.

Nice find on this!

Bison bison
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I actually think that the NCAA needs to consider giving the heave-ho to low-tier DI programs.

If not on the basis of funding alone.

NDSUstudent
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
NDSU to the Pac 10....I guess Goldy would have to watch yet another one of their border rivals play in the Rose Bowl.

Jdubs21
11-27-2007, 10:48 PM
NDSU to the Pac 10....I guess Goldy would have to watch yet another one of their border rivals play in the Rose Bowl.

HAHAHAHAHA

CaBisonFan
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM

It would be a good fit for the Bison...but the travel would be pretty big...but yet, we've been doing that for quite a while now. Just think of playing in the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl with about 100,000 people there...whoa. Minnesota 'would not' like this at all. We'd, at the very least, be even in terms of recruiting their blue-chip prospects from the region.

One of the upsides to this would be that we could recruit heavily in the Twin Cities and other regions with the lure of flying to what amounts to about 4 or 5 bowl game settings each year. Not bad.

Stanford is really in trouble. Not sure if they will pull out of it for a long time. They have Oregon and Cal right there, competing for the 2nd & 3rd tier LA players, behind USC and UCLA. Actually, Oregeon & Cal are at least even with UCLA as far as recruiting in LA. Right now, it's USC...and the rest. Stanford is way down the food chain. Even the Arizona schools out-recruit them in California.

Fun to dream.

Thanks for posting this.

BlueBisonRock
11-27-2007, 11:54 PM

Talks about the coaching carousel and about 3/4 of the way down talks about demoting teams from 1-a and switching them with a 1-aa teams.

Real interesting article. Did you notice that four of the promoted teams are Gateway Conference? How would Stanford, UNLV, Northern Illinois, and Minnesota impact the Gateway as replacements for NDSU, UNI, Southern Illinois, and SDSU?

IBleedYellow
11-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Real interesting article. Did you notice that four of the promoted teams are Gateway Conference? How would Stanford, UNLV, Northern Illinois, and Minnesota impact the Gateway as replacements for NDSU, UNI, Southern Illinois, and SDSU?

Oh Yes I noticed, I kept laughing and grinning big every time I read the teams and knew which conference they were in. Then I got a shiver as I read North Dakota State. Fargo? You BETCHA!

scottheck
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice that our transition partner is already included as well. Says a lot for both programs.

GrebdNodak
12-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I spent two years in England (while in the Air Force) and watched a lot of pro soccer. They have four divisions of pro teams, with 20 teams in each division. The bottom four in each division get "relegated" (demoted) each year, and top four in the next-lower division get "promoted". I wanna tell you it makes for a lot of excitement for the fans whichever way your team is moving.

The team I followed got promoted to first division and it was absolute delirium. Kind of like a successful transition from Div II to I-AA, except you don't have this stinking purgatory period to sit through.

bisoner1011
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
There is a big difference between the greatwest and the pac-10, the size and speed of the athletes is vastly different than the greatwest which we have dominated recently. Along with that comes the depth issue and recuirting, by the end of the season we were so beat up by game 11 it started to affect our ability to take control of games, and i see no chance of taking recuirts from top tier progams in the pac-10

UTH
12-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I spent two years in England (while in the Air Force) and watched a lot of pro soccer. They have four divisions of pro teams, with 20 teams in each division. The bottom four in each division get "relegated" (demoted) each year, and top four in the next-lower division get "promoted". I wanna tell you it makes for a lot of excitement for the fans whichever way your team is moving.

The team I followed got promoted to first division and it was absolute delirium. Kind of like a successful transition from Div II to I-AA, except you don't have this stinking purgatory period to sit through.

I absolutely agree with this post. The Norwegian "Tippeligaen" (betting league) has 14 teams. At the end of each season, the bottom 2 get relegated down. For most Norwegian fans I know, that would be a fate almost as bad as death itself. They are doomed to suffer the ridicule of all the other fans until their team can work its way up again. At least this way there's ALWAYS something more than pride to play for. Many seasons end up with playoff games, just to see who gets relegated. That puts interest and excitement at both ends of the stick, if you ask me.

My team, Vålerenga, most recently came up to Tippeligaen in 2002. They became reigning champions in 2005. That's a shorter period of time than what our purgatory was. Talk about an extreme case of excitement for Oslo East!

IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the NCAA would ever even consider adopting rules like this, but it never hurts to wonder...

99Bison
12-02-2007, 02:49 AM
I absolutely agree with this post. The Norwegian "Tippeligaen" (betting league) has 14 teams. At the end of each season, the bottom 2 get relegated down. For most Norwegian fans I know, that would be a fate almost as bad as death itself. They are doomed to suffer the ridicule of all the other fans until their team can work its way up again. At least this way there's ALWAYS something more than pride to play for. Many seasons end up with playoff games, just to see who gets relegated. That puts interest and excitement at both ends of the stick, if you ask me.

My team, Vålerenga, most recently came up to Tippeligaen in 2002. They became reigning champions in 2005. That's a shorter period of time than what our purgatory was. Talk about an extreme case of excitement for Oslo East!

IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the NCAA would ever even consider adopting rules like this, but it never hurts to wonder...

Agreed, this would be pretty cool from a viewing standpoint... Not sure how it could ever work out and as you state, NCAA will of course have nothing to do with it :)

Bisonguy
12-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Agreed, this would be pretty cool from a viewing standpoint... Not sure how it could ever work out and as you state, NCAA will of course have nothing to do with it :)

I agree it would be cool, but until the NCAA divisions have standardized recruiting and eligibility (including academics), there's zero chance that it would even be considered.

UTH
12-02-2007, 04:16 AM
I agree it would be cool, but until the NCAA divisions have standardized recruiting and eligibility (including academics), there's zero chance that it would even be considered.

That's the biggest problem I see. All the bleeding rules between the divisions looks downright bad.

SDbison
12-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Comparing European professional soccer (who cares) to NDSU football?

UTH
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Comparing European professional soccer (who cares) to NDSU football?

Not the sport, but the way the different levels of competition get to where they are. And I had to take the opportunity to talk how their system makes it so much more exciting.