PDA

View Full Version : Number of Championships - Could Use Little Help With History

CaBisonFan
11-26-2007, 02:01 AM
On this website there's an interesting period in Bison history. Specifically, it's the 1964-1970 era.

I count five bowl wins during that period...and then there's the playoff championships...which if I'm counting correctly...would make it 10 national championships.

Or...weren't all of those bowls in the era mentioned about championship games? Did we win a couple of bowl games and not get voted #1?

Here's the link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=globe&page=cfoot2/teams/direct713.htm

Bisonguy
11-26-2007, 02:07 AM
NDSU was not voted #1 at the end of some of those bowls. Only 1965, 1968, and 1969.

56BISON73
11-26-2007, 02:21 AM
On this website there's an interesting period in Bison history. Specifically, it's the 1964-1970 era.

I count five bowl wins during that period...and then there's the playoff championships...which if I'm counting correctly...would make it 10 national championships.

Or...weren't all of those bowls in the era mentioned about championship games? Did we win a couple of bowl games and not get voted #1?

Here's the link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=globe&page=cfoot2/teams/direct713.htm

Great link!!!! PL

CaBisonFan
11-26-2007, 03:09 AM
NDSU was not voted #1 at the end of some of those bowls. Only 1965, 1968, and 1969.

Thanks for the help.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2007, 03:13 AM

Question: In 2000, did we lost in the semi-finals? It was a heartbreaker with a missed touchdown on the last play...by a foot....or something like that?

Do you know the story on the end of that game? I listened on the radio...but I can't remember much except a heartbreaking ending. Was it against Pittsburgh?

NDSUstudent
11-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Question: In 2000, did we lost in the semi-finals? It was a heartbreaker with a missed touchdown on the last play...by a foot....or something like that?

Do you know the story on the end of that game? I listened on the radio...but I can't remember much except a heartbreaking ending. Was it against Pittsburgh?

NDSU played Delta State in the 2000 semi-finals. The Bison were down to their 3rd string QB after playing two of the best teams in the nation in Northwest Missouri and UNO. I believe the Herd fell by 16 or so points, not much of heartbreak other then not getting the home game and being sent to play on DSU's kitty litter covered field.

Bisonguy
11-26-2007, 03:20 AM

The game in 2000 was the infamous kitty-litter bowl vs. Delta State. They ran the option with a QB that must have been about 7 feet tall, 270 lbs. NDSU couldn't stop him if their life depended on it in the first half. I don't remember the halftime score, but I believe NDSU came back in the second half and made it a more respectable loss of 34-16.

99Bison
11-26-2007, 03:28 AM

The heart break ending you are referring to at Pitt St was in about 92/94 or so (may have been a 2pt. conversion attempt)? I believe we got out bid on the home game by like 1k when pitt state had never bid more than like 15K for a game before... and they bid like 71K or something (ironic same year that a new representative for ncc was on a commitee). While we bid for the following game in the 100k range to compete with portland st(?) or someone else with a dome.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2007, 03:50 AM
The heart break ending you are referring to at Pitt St was in about 92/94 or so (may have been a 2pt. conversion attempt)? I believe we got out bid on the home game by like 1k when pitt state had never bid more than like 15K for a game before... and they bid like 71K or something (ironic same year that a new representative for ncc was on a commitee). While we bid for the following game in the 100k range to compete with portland st(?) or someone else with a dome.

That's the one. The infamous 2 pt. conversion. Do you remember who the running back was?

Was the NCC rep. from up north? hmmmm

Or was it our dimwhit AD from that period?

BraxtonT
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM
That's the one. The infamous 2 pt. conversion. Do you remember who the running back was?

Was the NCC rep. from up north? hmmmm

Or was it our dimwhit AD from that period?

I'll take a stab at this one. The running back was Dan Paulson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was at the game and that is who I remember getting the ball. Just a little side note, we actually had two chances on that conversion. The first play had a defensive penalty that allowed us to move the ball to the 1.5 yd. line. Didn't matter, though, as the option to the right got stopped.

roadwarrior
11-26-2007, 04:02 AM
There is a short writeup on every playoff game in the football media guide. It can be found on gobison.com.

HerdBot
11-26-2007, 04:04 AM

Here's the link:

Awesome link. I hope we learn from our past. Anyone pick up on this?

1983 Don Morton 12- 1 3-0 DIV II CHAMPS
1984 Don Morton 11- 2 2-1 (DIV II)
1985 Earle Solomonson 11-2-1 3-0 DIV II CHAMPS
1986 Earle Solomonson 13- 0 3-0 DIV II CHAMPS
1987 Rocky Hager 6- 4
1988 Rocky Hager 14- 0 4-0 DIV II CHAMPS

4 Championships in 6 years with 3 coaches all promoted from within'
CONTINUITY WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS BABY!

DORMIE
11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
From the Media Guide. The 1992 NCAA Quarterfinals in Pittsburgh, KS. PSU wins 38-37. NDSU closed to within one at 38-37 on Arden Beachy's 26 yard pass to Graig Geren. The Bison opted for the win with a two-point conversion try but were stopped short up the middle. But a penalty against PSU gave the Herd a second chance and Mark Hansen's despirate dive for the goal line wide right on the pitch came up an agonizing inch short. We also won in 1994 in the First Round in the Mud Bowl, 18-12, but lost in the 1995 Quarterfinals 9-7, all in Pittsburgh, KS.

MontanaBison
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
From the Media Guide. The 1992 NCAA Quarterfinals in Pittsburgh, KS. PSU wins 38-37. NDSU closed to within one at 38-37 on Arden Beachy's 26 yard pass to Graig Geren. The Bison opted for the win with a two-point conversion try but were stopped short up the middle. But a penalty against PSU gave the Herd a second chance and Mark Hansen's despirate dive for the goal line wide right on the pitch came up an agonizing inch short. We also won in 1994 in the First Round in the Mud Bowl, 18-12, but lost in the 1995 Quarterfinals 9-7, all in Pittsburgh, KS.

Was that the mud bowl game down there?

AEBison1998
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
That inch short carry was so hard to take. He had the ball in his gutt....if he could have reached forward he could have crossed the plane. But the defender was hanging onto the ball. It was agonizing to see the replay!

I think the 1993 team would have won the championship if Arden Beachy wouldn't have been injured in the first game. He was unbelieveable in that game. It was the first game in the dome. We were ranked number one and Pitt State was ranked number 2 or 3. We pasted them but Arden had a knee injury that took him out of the season. He could have had a medical hardship and played another year but opted for med school. He was really a great player. I think he would have gone down as one of the best quaterbacks ever to play at NDSU if he would have played that season. Rob Hyland came in as a freshman (I think) and set the record for the most yards in a season that year. He was decent, especially for a young guy...but he was no Arden. That was really a great offense from top to bottom!

TransAmBison
11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
That inch short carry was so hard to take. He had the ball in his gutt....if he could have reached forward he could have crossed the plane. But the defender was hanging onto the ball. It was agonizing to see the replay!

I think the 1993 team would have won the championship if Arden Beachy wouldn't have been injured in the first game. He was unbelieveable in that game. It was the first game in the dome. We were ranked number one and Pitt State was ranked number 2 or 3. We pasted them but Arden had a knee injury that took him out of the season. He could have had a medical hardship and played another year but opted for med school. He was really a great player. I think he would have gone down as one of the best quaterbacks ever to play at NDSU if he would have played that season. Rob Hyland came in as a freshman (I think) and set the record for the most yards in a season that year. He was decent, especially for a young guy...but he was no Arden. That was really a great offense from top to bottom!
That was horrible watching Arden leave the field. He was as good of an option quarterback as there ever was in my book.

THEsocalledfan
11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
That was horrible watching Arden leave the field. He was as good of an option quarterback as there ever was in my book.

It was even worse being there my freshman year in college watching Arden blow out his knee in the first FFD game. They easily would have taken home the hardware that year if he stayed healthy and he would have won the Harlan Hill Award.

DORMIE
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
If Arden hadn't hurt his knee, we wouldn't have had the famous take-a-way play up at UND later that year and would have had a string of 13 in a row.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 04:18 AM
If Arden hadn't hurt his knee, we wouldn't have had the famous take-a-way play up at UND later that year and would have had a string of 13 in a row.

What's the take away play? Can't remember it.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 04:21 AM

To put it mildly...those two plays are etched in my 'negative' file. I still agree with the call. If my memory serves me correctly, Pitt had a 'great' running back that was causing us fits. Not sure if that was the year though.

Trim
11-29-2007, 03:22 PM
To put it mildly...those two plays are etched in my 'negative' file. I still agree with the call. If my memory serves me correctly, Pitt had a 'great' running back that was causing us fits. Not sure if that was the year though.

Yeah, who was that guy? I can't think of his name. Didn't he have a stint with the Bears or someone?

TransAmBison
11-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, who was that guy? I can't think of his name. Didn't he have a stint with the Bears or someone?
Ronald Moore...I believe he was with the Cardinals for a couple years...

CaBisonFan
12-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Ronald Moore...I believe he was with the Cardinals for a couple years...

Thank you...that's the one. Can't believe how strong Pittsburgh was in those days. Ronald Moore.

Good memory.

yellowstreak
09-07-2011, 12:57 AM
The playoffs began in 1973. Can anybody find what years we made it to the semi-finals or quarter-finals?

---Prior to Adoption of Playoff System---
1964 NCAA DII Midwest Bowl Champion
1965 NCAA DII Polling Champion
1967 NCAA DII AP Polling Champion
1968 NCAA DII Midwest Bowl Champion
1969 NCAA DII West Bowl Champion
1969 NCAA DII Polling Champion
1970 NCAA DII West Bowl Champion

---After to Adoption of Playoff System---
1981 NCAA DII National Championship Runner-up
1983 NCAA DII National Championship
1984 NCAA DII National Championship Runner-up
1985 NCAA DII National Championship
1986 NCAA DII National Championship
1988 NCAA DII National Championship
1990 NCAA DII National Championship
2010 NCAA DI FCS Quarter Finals

tjbison
09-07-2011, 12:59 AM
WOW how long of a shovel did you have to use to dig this bad boy thread up??:)

Hammerhead
09-07-2011, 01:33 AM
The Football media guide has a list of playoff games. https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/728729.pdf?ATCLID=205055286&SPSID=11862&SPID=695&KEY=JFMSNRPRTJXAAMD.20101214214815&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400

Didn't we lose on a last second field goal in 1984? As I remember that game, an injured Bison player was trying to drag himself off the field so the clock wouldn't stop but the refs called for an injury timeout. That gave Troy State a chance to kick a really long field goal with the wind at their backs.

roadwarrior
09-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Didn't we lose on a last second field goal in 1984? As I remember that game, an injured Bison player was trying to drag himself off the field so the clock wouldn't stop but the refs called for an injury timeout. That gave Troy State a chance to kick a really long field goal with the wind at their backs.

There was no timeout called at the end, Troy State made a field goal as the clock ticked down to :00.

344Johnson
09-07-2011, 02:53 AM
There was no timeout called at the end, Troy State made a field goal as the clock ticked down to :00.

I've heard some say that the clockwork was a bit sketchy at the end. Wouldn't mind seeing the game itself and see if the players were set and everything...regardless, credit to their kicker for making a clutch field goal.

CaBisonFan
09-07-2011, 04:20 AM
I've heard some say that the clockwork was a bit sketchy at the end. Wouldn't mind seeing the game itself and see if the players were set and everything...regardless, credit to their kicker for making a clutch field goal.

I have the 2nd half of that game on a DVD...and I'll try to get it up and running on YouTube if I do. I remember thinking "how the hell did they find the time to get their kicking team on the field????!!!!!!" Time stood still.

Is it possible I could have been a little biased?...:cool:

In terms of the pure drama...it has to be one of the most stunning endings in the history of the ncaa.

Hammerhead
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
You can buy the video online at amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/1984-Division-Football-National-Championship/dp/B000X9LTF8

CAS4127
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I'll take a stab at this one. The running back was Dan Paulson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was at the game and that is who I remember getting the ball. Just a little side note, we actually had two chances on that conversion. The first play had a defensive penalty that allowed us to move the ball to the 1.5 yd. line. Didn't matter, though, as the option to the right got stopped.

Dan Paulson graduated in 1988!! Jake Morris perhaps?! Also, recall that we let them back in the game. We were up by two scores at least relatively late in the game and we then "let" them return a punt or KO for about 70+ and a TD. Very little time left on the clock, and Bobby B. doesn't have the wherewithall to call a TO, settle his team down, and win the game. Instead, total panic on the sideline, we give them the ball back, and they again for for long run/drive and then beat us--should never have happened but for poor coaching and a head coach who panicked and could stop to think.

yellowstreak
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Here are some bragging rights!

---Prior to Adoption of Playoff System---
1964 NCAA DII Midwest Bowl Champion
1965 NCAA DII Pecan Bowl Champion and Polling Champion
1967 NCAA DII Pecan Bowl Runner-up and AP Polling Champion
1968 NCAA DII Midwest Bowl Champion
1969 NCAA DII West Bowl Champion and Polling Champion
1970 NCAA DII West Bowl Champion

---After to Adoption of Playoff System---
1976 NCAA DII Semifinals
1977 NCAA DII Semifinals
1981 NCAA DII National Championship Runner-up
1982 NCAA DII Semifinals
1983 NCAA DII National Championship
1984 NCAA DII National Championship Runner-up
1985 NCAA DII National Championship
1986 NCAA DII National Championship
1988 NCAA DII National Championship
1989 NCAA DII Quarterfinals
1990 NCAA DII National Championship
1992 NCAA DII Quarterfinals
1994 NCAA DII Quarterfinals
1995 NCAA DII Quarterfinals
2000 NCAA DII Semifinals
2010 NCAA DI FCS Quarterfinals

BraxtonT
09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Dan Paulson graduated in 1988!! Jake Morris perhaps?! Also, recall that we let them back in the game. We were up by two scores at least relatively late in the game and we then "let" them return a punt or KO for about 70+ and a TD. Very little time left on the clock, and Bobby B. doesn't have the wherewithall to call a TO, settle his team down, and win the game. Instead, total panic on the sideline, we give them the ball back, and they again for for long run/drive and then beat us--should never have happened but for poor coaching and a head coach who panicked and could stop to think.

Rocky was the coach when this game took place. Bobby B's first year was 1997.

The game you are referencing reminds of the one at Mankato back in 2001, but there were others in that era that could've happened that way, too. :-(

tony
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Rocky was the coach when this game took place. Bobby B's first year was 1997.

In 1992, Rocky was the coach and Beach pitched to Mark Hansen on the 2pt conversion attempt - Hansen didn't have much of a chance. What killed me about that game was that the Gorillas were down by 11 with time running out and they lined up for a long FG , but rather than go into full "stop the fake" mode, NDSU tried to block it and Pittsburg State's upback must have run for 30 yards. That was a huge fail by the Bison. Seriously. Pittsburg State had about a 20% chance of making that FG and, even if they did, NDSU would still have been up by 8. Instead, PSU gets the first down, gets the 2PAT, stops NDSU dead on the next possession and drives down for a chip shot FG to send it into OT.

semobison
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
As a student from 83-88, this brings back some great memories! It was a great time to be a Bison!