PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the players to watch next year?

UncleBuck
11-25-2007, 02:22 AM
So who will be the players to watch next year? Those that will have to step in and fill big shoes, plus new players playing for the first time?

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-25-2007, 02:42 AM
So who will be the players to watch next year? Those that will have to step in and fill big shoes, plus new players playing for the first time?

QB- Mertens
OL- 2-3 OL who?
P- ? Do we have one?
MLB- Tyler Henry
CB- Bowman, Colvin, Agbetola, maybe even Courney Mitchell will be able to replace David Earl.
DL- 1 redshirt freshman will need to stepup to replace Brown. Gratzke was taking the place of Brown by the end of the year.
DE- 1 redshirt fresman will need to stepup to replace Dallas. Compton and Dallas were rotating all year.
DL and DE need more depth, hopefully some of the young kids will be ready to roll.
Kick Return- Who will is going to take over for Majeski?

NDSUFan_Sav
11-25-2007, 03:23 AM
"So who will be the players to watch next year? Those that will have to step in and fill big shoes, plus new players playing for the first time?"

Ramon Humber :nod: :nod: Humber = Stud
Kole, Tyler Roehl, Belquist, Wurzbacher, and the rest of the bison :)

99Bison
11-25-2007, 03:41 AM
New roles/players hmm....

QB - Mertens
RB - DJ
MLB - Henry
P - ?
Dline - Gratzik will develop into an animal as a So.
Dline - ?

extremerouge
11-25-2007, 05:01 AM
I am looking forward to seeing DJ McNorton play...he will probably return kicks and punts too

TheDoctor
11-25-2007, 06:10 AM
I am going to miss Joe! He was quite the player out there! ;)

CaBisonFan
11-25-2007, 07:24 AM

DJ McNorton will turn into a star. DJ & Tyler will tear up defenses. Stepanski somewhere on defense. A head-hunter along with a full defensive backfield roster will be the biggest difference for the Bison. Pull the redshirt from Reid, the kid from Wisconsin. Put him at defensive end and tell him to raise hell. Don't make him wait. Matt Anderson from Cavalier will emerge as the real deal. The defensive lineman from Stephen-Argyle (name?) will turn into a major force.

The defensive line will bring new stars and periods of domination that we haven't seen for a while. This, the d-backs, Maresh, and Humber will combine to make the defense formidable. The offense won't have to score 40 points a game in the coming year or two. We'll be a better balanced team.

Tremendous depth and athleticism at receiver. Washington will emerge as a go-to guy much like White.

Humber will be an All-American. Mertens will emerge as a star quarterback. Great arm and game savy. He's ready.

X-Factor
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
2007 non-starters to watch out for in 2008

QB - Mertens
WR - Holloway
RB - DJ
Tackle - Ebel / Arnt / Backowski
Guard - RICHARDS!!!
P - Prelvitz
RS - DJ!! (heck of a tandem with Shamen...IMO Shamen may be #2 guy next fall)

DL - Danilkowicz
DE - Colter Boyer / Garett Johnson
LB - Beson / Henry / Anderson (our backups could start for most Gateway teams)
S - Eaves (will backup)
CB - Bowman / Colvin

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
We will have to wait one more year to see McNorton (Roehl and Paschall will take 99% of the carries and Blincoe with whatever is left over). Hopefully, we will get a preview if he takes the place of Majeski on kickreturns.

It would be nice to see Washington get involved more, but there just isnt a spot for him on an every down basis. With Kole, Alex and Schultenover taking over for Majeski; there wont be many snaps left over for Washington, Parsons and Williams.

brewcityboy
11-25-2007, 03:44 PM
We will have to wait one more year to see McNorton (Roehl and Paschall will take 99% of the carries and Blincoe with whatever is left over). Hopefully, we will get a preview if he takes the place of Majeski on kickreturns.

It would be nice to see Washington get involved more, but there just isnt a spot for him on an every down basis. With Kole, Alex and Schultenover taking over for Majeski; there wont be many snaps left over for Washington, Parsons and Williams.

Ive commented on this b4 but he need more touches. Throw him in the slot, run some screens and create mismatches with the fs/ss or in some cases linebacker that will cover him.

Mr. Burgundy
11-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I would like the redshirts to get a real good look at WR. I think they bring something different that the starters bring. We need a game breaker. We have a bunch of posession receivers right now. That isn't bad, I just think we have some speed that was redshirted. Looking forward to some additional weapons for Mertins to play with.

CaBisonFan
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I liked what I saw of Washington this year. He deserves a chance to contribute.

silkamilkamonico
11-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I would like the redshirts to get a real good look at WR. I think they bring something different that the starters bring. We need a game breaker. We have a bunch of posession receivers right now. That isn't bad, I just think we have some speed that was redshirted. Looking forward to some additional weapons for Mertins to play with.

I completely agree. I understand that Belquist and Heckendorf have earned their position, and rightfully so. But I do think they're the same type of receiver, and it would be nice to get someone that can be a little more dynamic.

You also couldn't have said it better when you stated "it wasn't a bad thing". It's not at all, and both Heckendorf/Belquist are a great impact to the team. It would be a lot harder to scheme against if we found a game changer.

Schultenover somehow became a great big play WR. I'm not sure if he has the intangibles to really open up the field, but if he keeps making big plays like he did last year it would be hard to not give him more opportunities on the field.

tjbison
11-25-2007, 07:31 PM

Can't wait to see all of them:D

bisonpride2k
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
It would be intersting to see what Shamon could do on some bubble screens in the slot or somehere out in the open besides just trying to out run everyone on the corner like with reverses.

I think Scholtenover will be a solid receiver but I think some of his big play gains are a result of defensive focus on belquist and Heckendorf on short routes that leave him in single coverage on deep posts, etc... that walker can exploit.

ndsubison1
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
It would be intersting to see what Shamon could do on some bubble screens in the slot or somehere out in the open besides just trying to out run everyone on the corner like with reverses.

I think Scholtenover will be a solid receiver but I think some of his big play gains are a result of defensive focus on belquist and Heckendorf on short routes that leave him in single coverage on deep posts, etc... that walker can exploit.

I think we should use Shamen kind of how Florida uses Percy Harvin, put him in the slot, put him in the backfield, obviously not nearly every play, but utilize him more with the offense.

Gully
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I think we'll see them use a lot of receivers like they did this year. It's nice to keep people fresh. Parsons and Shultenover were playing a lot toward the end of the year.

Speed isn't everything...Gary Williams has better speed that Heckendorf or Belquist but just didn't seem to get open as often. I know he's still young so it's not a fair comparison....just trying to point out that speed isn't everything at WR.

Having said that, however, it sure would be nice to have a guy stretch the field AND have good WR skills (routes, hands,etc).

X-Factor
11-26-2007, 12:38 AM

You are in for a surprise than. DJ can do things that none of our current RB's can do, including Pat. Pat is the closest to DJ's style, but just not quite as explosive IMO.

Gully
11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Good...hopefully he can return kickoffs next to Shamen as well. Having three good tailbacks will be nice.

99Bison
11-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I completely agree. I understand that Belquist and Heckendorf have earned their position, and rightfully so. But I do think they're the same type of receiver, and it would be nice to get someone that can be a little more dynamic.

You also couldn't have said it better when you stated "it wasn't a bad thing". It's not at all, and both Heckendorf/Belquist are a great impact to the team. It would be a lot harder to scheme against if we found a game changer.

Schultenover somehow became a great big play WR. I'm not sure if he has the intangibles to really open up the field, but if he keeps making big plays like he did last year it would be hard to not give him more opportunities on the field.

Schultenover became the "big play guy" when Majeski went out, he was a compareable replacement, that was open because of the focus on the rest of the receivers, TE and FB.

99Bison
11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Personally think this stretch the field because of a WR concern is a bit over reaching.

We didn't stretch the field because we didn't throw it down field, personally would rather have someone that has excellent hands and body control/positioning to go down the field than someone who is "much faster" on some speed clock.

If we want to control the game you can't throw balls down the field all game long as it is a low percentage attempt with many high risk/reward attributes. You also would start to look like the old Babich called offense - Run, Run, Bomb, Punt.

Now of course you want to throw it down the field a few times to take shots and keep the D honest. Beyond that you can't hedge your bets on those plays at all.

Mr. Burgundy
11-26-2007, 01:26 AM
Keep in mind our qb next year has a cannon! They will open up the deep ball a bit more with his ability to throw it downfield.

imabison
11-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Keep in mind our qb next year has a cannon! They will open up the deep ball a bit more with his ability to throw it downfield.
As Coach Bohl said on one of his last interviews on WDAY they will always consider a good quarterback when recruiting. Mertens needs to step, and prove he deserves the position.

As far as looking forward to Roehl, Paschal, and D J Mcnorton. Can you say a Diesel powered sports car.

Washington to me appeared to be hesitant, and I am sorry, I do not know how he was special teams player of the conference. Improvement is definitely needed.

silkamilkamonico
11-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Washington to me appeared to be hesitant, and I am sorry, I do not know how he was special teams player of the conference. Improvement is definitely needed.

I'm sure a lot of it was him leading in Kick return average and being in the top 3 for punt return average. He was the top return man stats wise for both punt/kick return TD's, and nobody in the conference really lit it up with return TD's.

bisonhusker
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Yep, DJ McNorton will be the next great thing, even though he has yet to prove anything, but we should wait to pass judgement our 4th year Junior QB who was once player of the year in MN. Interesting.

SlickVic
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
better look out for the bang stick ;)

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
You are in for a surprise than. DJ can do things that none of our current RB's can do, including Pat. Pat is the closest to DJ's style, but just not quite as explosive IMO.

Based on what? Practice, Highlight video, Ol' Ball Coach or Personal Opinion.

I would be very suprised if he broke into the top two next year. Blincoe is a nice back, but DJ could maybe pass him on the depth chart. Dont be suprised if he DJ doesnt get many carries next year he will only be a freshman and with Roehl and Paschall back not enugh carries to go around.

AEBison1998
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
I saw DJ in a couple of scrimmage games this fall. The one thing I couldn't tell was how fast he was. If anyone has any information on that I would be interested in that. But I can say that he definately has the moves to be playing next year. He was doing things that I haven't seen from any of our current backs. Likewise Roehl and Paschall do things others can't as well. I think of it this way.

Roehl is the power guy
Paschall is the speed guy
DJ is the shifty guy

Not that there isn't some of these attributes in all of them of course. I think next years carries will depend on the following:

Roehl: Can the guy continue to stay healthy with the way he runs. (Man I like to watch him run over people!) Will he continue to get faster in the offseason assuming his off season training has been modified for tailback.

Paschall: How much bulk can he put on in the off season. I think this is the thing that holds him back in our style of offense. He needs to get a little thicker to run inside and break that first tackle.

DJ: How fast is he and how much bulk can he put on.

Also, don't forget that Brower is back for his senior season and Matt V. will be a freshman as well. Plus Blincoe is solid. We are in good shape at tailback.

The battle for next years playing time takes place in the weight room. There is enough talent in all of these guys. We'll see who wants it more in the off season.

HoopsBison
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
If im not mistaken dont we have Ramon Humber one more year.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
If im not mistaken dont we have Ramon Humber one more year.

One more year with Humber and Maresh. Henry will replace Mays to complete the LB core.

X-Factor
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Based on what? Practice, Highlight video, Ol' Ball Coach or Personal Opinion.

I would be very suprised if he broke into the top two next year. Blincoe is a nice back, but DJ could maybe pass him on the depth chart. Dont be suprised if he DJ doesnt get many carries next year he will only be a freshman and with Roehl and Paschall back not enugh carries to go around.

Based on his highlight film and seeing him during scrimmage. He would have held his own against the other backs this year as a true freshman not having much grasp of the offense. Get him on the right diet with a good workout routine and a solid grasp of the offense he should be ready to rock next fall IMO. Sounds like the kid has the right mentality to get it done too.

The battle for next years playing time takes place in the weight room. There is enough talent in all of these guys. We'll see who wants it more in the off season.

this is sooo true! :nod:

NDSUstudent
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
My player to watch next year is DE Coulter Boyer, Bohl said he was unblockable in practices. He also had some good things to say about Garrett Johnson who is like Boyer a DE. Our D-line has the potential to be dominant next year.

SlickVic
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
My player to watch next year is DE Coulter Boyer, Bohl said he was unblockable in practices. He also had some good things to say about Garrett Johnson who is like Boyer a DE. Our D-line has the potential to be dominant next year.

chea w my main man joe lardinois returning aka heart and soul of dat defense next year...hopefully compton gets lost in the mix he had no bisness splitting time with dr dallas

bison dad
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
QB- Mertens
OL- 2-3 OL who?
P- ? Do we have one?
MLB- Tyler Henry
CB- Bowman, Colvin, Agbetola, maybe even Courney Mitchell will be able to replace David Earl.
DL- 1 redshirt freshman will need to stepup to replace Brown. Gratzke was taking the place of Brown by the end of the year.
DE- 1 redshirt fresman will need to stepup to replace Dallas. Compton and Dallas were rotating all year.
DL and DE need more depth, hopefully some of the young kids will be ready to roll.
Kick Return- Who will is going to take over for Majeski?

Gratzek (check your spelling :) ) didn't replace Brown there was a three man rotation with Fairbairn, Brown and Gratzek. Fairbairn played 6 downs at NG, Brown played 3 at DT and 3 at NG, Gratzek played 6 at DT. True they will need someone to stepup for depth.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 05:59 AM
New roles/players hmm....

QB - Mertens
RB - DJ
MLB - Henry
P - ?
Dline - Gratzik will develop into an animal as a So.
Dline - ?

I totally agree with you about Gratzik. Apparently, he has the gift of 'lateral movement,' which is a big deal for a defensive linemen. Phil Hansen talked about it during one of the games. He was impressed. I haven't seen the other kid from Stephen-Argyle play yet (redshirt), but I've heard through one of the lower-level assistant coaches that they're expecting big things from Stepanski (spelling?) also.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 06:02 AM
2007 non-starters to watch out for in 2008

QB - Mertens
WR - Holloway
RB - DJ
Tackle - Ebel / Arnt / Backowski
Guard - RICHARDS!!!
P - Prelvitz
RS - DJ!! (heck of a tandem with Shamen...IMO Shamen may be #2 guy next fall)

DL - Danilkowicz
DE - Colter Boyer / Garett Johnson
LB - Beson / Henry / Anderson (our backups could start for most Gateway teams)
S - Eaves (will backup)
CB - Bowman / Colvin

Are Boyer & Johnson projected to be really good? To me...that's where the Bison need to notch it up a couple of gears. More pressure from the D-line is needed.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 06:05 AM

I agree with you. I wondered during the SDSU game why we didn't try to make the field more vertical a few times...even without the speed. A completion to Heckendorf downfield once or twice would have made the Wabbits play more honestly. The stacked the inside run and brought their devensive backfield up to cover the short-out patterns.

Yes...more speed once in a while would be a good addition.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Personally think this stretch the field because of a WR concern is a bit over reaching.

We didn't stretch the field because we didn't throw it down field, personally would rather have someone that has excellent hands and body control/positioning to go down the field than someone who is "much faster" on some speed clock.

If we want to control the game you can't throw balls down the field all game long as it is a low percentage attempt with many high risk/reward attributes. You also would start to look like the old Babich called offense - Run, Run, Bomb, Punt.

Now of course you want to throw it down the field a few times to take shots and keep the D honest. Beyond that you can't hedge your bets on those plays at all.

I agree. When I think of speed on the field I'll always remember White running that little screen pattern for a touchdown against SDSU in 06. That's the type of speed that is really needed.

From everything that I'm reading, it sounds like we have some people that can do it...and we might get to see some of them next year.

Also...Stacey Robinson changed the game by just being on the field.

imported_Bisongold
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Travis White was not known for his speed...he may have gotten it down to 4.6 but 4.7 is more likely. It was a punt he ran back against SDSU and he willed himself into the endzone with 2 great stiff-arms. He was good at being patient and reading the blockers, but sorry, no blazing speed. The top 3 receivers this year had exactly the same stats as the top 3 receivers last year which included Travis. The receivers this year were all underclassmen that will get much better by next year . I believe it takes many seniors to go the distance and go deep into the playoffs. This is true in highschool sports also. They need the maturity and experience! Another reason why I think this year's record was so spectacular. The screen pass you talk about may have been the one at Ball State last year...Travis broke that one for a touchdown and the win. I was at both of the games.

X-Factor
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Are Boyer & Johnson projected to be really good? To me...that's where the Bison need to notch it up a couple of gears. More pressure from the D-line is needed.

No idea. I havn't specifically watched either one. They were big recruits from last year though, so hopefully at least one of them can contribute significant minutes.

I agree though, the D-line is very important with a tampa-2. Just look at Indy this year. Even more dominant before they lost Freeney. It all starts up front. With a JUCO or two the Bison should be in great shape for next year.

bisondad
11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
A little bird told me that McNorton is really something to see. Maybe Mertens will never have to throw a pass...............................

Bison"FANatic"
11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
I bet that bird wasn't so little;) ;) ;) and I wouldn't want to mess with him!

AEBison1998
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
We got a DT last year (George D.)who is redshirting this year. Did anyone hear how he looked this year in practise. I would imagine he needs to get a year of weight lifting...do you think he will be ready to give some minutes next year?

HerdBot
11-30-2007, 05:58 AM
It's early but...

Offensively look for Roehl, (only 2nd season starting), Heckendorf, and Shamen to make big plays and go out with a bang. Look for Paschal to pick up where he left off.

Defense look for Lardinois and Humber to make big impacts.

Young offensive guys like DJ McNorton, Gary Williams, Matt Veldman, and Holloway could contribute but won't start. Matt Anderson looked good for a freshman linebacker.

Gully
11-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Travis White was not known for his speed...he may have gotten it down to 4.6 but 4.7 is more likely. It was a punt he ran back against SDSU and he willed himself into the endzone with 2 great stiff-arms. He was good at being patient and reading the blockers, but sorry, no blazing speed. The top 3 receivers this year had exactly the same stats as the top 3 receivers last year which included Travis. The receivers this year were all underclassmen that will get much better by next year . I believe it takes many seniors to go the distance and go deep into the playoffs. This is true in highschool sports also. They need the maturity and experience! Another reason why I think this year's record was so spectacular. The screen pass you talk about may have been the one at Ball State last year...Travis broke that one for a touchdown and the win. I was at both of the games.

That's right, he was a great possession receiver with decent speed. He may have looked faster than he was on that screen because we caught Ball State in a blitz...it ended up being the perfect call.

How about Travis returning the punt for a TD in his last college game? One of the best returns I've ever seen because it was about patience, moves, stiff arms, and a little speed. Pretty hard to end your career with a nicer play. Some might say he was slick.

Scooter1
11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Players to watch next year...

QB Nick Mertens (he will be ready to go) Mitch Brecke, Ryan Parsons(no room at WR)
RB Tyler Roehl, DJ McNorton, Pat Paschall, Pete Blincoe (4 solid backs)
FB Tyler Jangula, Lee Vandal
TE Jerimiah Wurzbacher, Thor Brown, Matt Veldman, Landon Smith
WR Scott Heckendorf, Gary Williams, Seth Kreuger
WR Alex Belquist, Jordan Schultenover, Warren Holloway
T Keith Buckman, Micheal Arndt , Paul Cornick
G Ryan Foster, Will Britt, Jordan Vadnias
C Zach Harrington, James Septak
G Austin Richards (will be a 4 yr starter) Zach Johnson
T Gerry Ebel, Paul Backowski

DE Joe Lardinois, Garret Johnson, Scott Stoczynski
DT Matt Gratzek, Matt Phillips, Kyle Richardson (JC TR)
DT Mike Fairbairn, George Danilkowicz
DE Nick Compton, Culter Boyer Jimmie Sharpe
LB Ramon Humber, Josh Hazley, Eddie Beson
LB Mike Maresh, Matt Kittelson, Blake Sczepanski
LB Tyler Henry, Matt Anderson, Luke Senger
CB John Richardson, Nate Agbetola, (Richard Bowman?) Chris Bigley
CB Derrius Colvin (Coutney Mitchell?) Freddie Banks
FS Nick Schomer, Daniel Eaves
SS Kyle Belmant, Cyrus Lemon,

What do we need? 2 good QB, 1 RB, 3 DB, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 OL, 2 WR, 1 great JUCO DL

tcbison
11-30-2007, 05:00 PM

QB Nick Mertens (he will be ready to go) Mitch Brecke, Ryan Parsons(no room at WR)

DT Matt Gratzek, Matt Phillips,

Nice! Do we know if Mike Brower will be back? I would like to see him get some carries because he runs a lot like Roehl. I think he could move pass Blincoe. Kole Heckendorf is a stud and I hope he and Mertens can prove to be a solid combo next year.

bisonmike2
11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Is Paschall's eligibility up after next year or was he a juco-soph more this last year?

tcbison
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Is Paschall's eligibility up after next year or was he a juco-soph more this last year?

Paschall was a sophomore last year. So he will be eligible for two more years.

silkamilkamonico
11-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Do we know if Mike Brower will be back? I would like to see him get some carries because he runs a lot like Roehl. I think he could move pass Blincoe.

I believe Brower has moved back to LB. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I was listening to Primetime sports and they said some very good things about Eddie Beson, and that the coaching staff was ever so close to pulling the redshirt off him this year because he's just been that good in practice.

BisManBison
11-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Also I was listening to Primetime sports and they said some very good things about Eddie Beson, and that the coaching staff was ever so close to pulling the redshirt off him this year because he's just been that good in practice.

I'm glad they refrained from pulling the redshirt off anyone. I'm sure it had to be awfully tempting especially later in the year as injuries started to mount.

UncleBuck
12-02-2007, 04:53 AM

DT Matt Gratzek, Matt Phillips, Kyle Richardson (JC TR)

Nice breakdown, I'm going to print it and file it away for next year. Thanks.

X-Factor
12-03-2007, 01:01 AM

It almost happened when Henry was out for the opener against SFA. Luckily, Mays never had to leave the game so the redshirt was preserved. Beson will be a great Mike. Heck, might as well add Reid to the list as well but we really have no idea what he will bring to the table this early.

bisoner1011
12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Unclebuck, Austin Richards has a long way to go before he will be able to play at this level, Septak will be the other starting guard.

UncleBuck
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Unclebuck, Austin Richards has a long way to go before he will be able to play at this level, Septak will be the other starting guard.

Adding him in the list. Thanks.

SlickVic
12-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Nice breakdown, I'm going to print it and file it away for next year. Thanks.

or you could just buy a program ;)