PDA

View Full Version : Stacked For Next Year

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
By all accounts we should be stacked for next year. The following is a list of the top 10 teams from the final media poll and how many seniors they will be losing plus some of the top gateway teams as well:

1. NIU 19
2. Mont. 21
3. McNeese 25
4. SIU 18
5. App. State 19
6. Richmond 8
7. Mass. 17
8. NDSU 11
9. Eastern Kentucky 18
10. Del. State 20

15. Youngstown 23
WIU 13
SDSU 18

It looks very good for us next year. The big question, of course, is our quarterback going to be able to carry us? According to all of the testimonies, he should be as good, if not better, than Walker.

I'M JACKED FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!

extremerouge
11-21-2007, 02:25 PM
thanks for the info littlegreen! I am really excited about next year! we should be dang good. I think our question marks will be in the defense, specifically secondary and line. Mertens has plenty of star power surrounding him and therefore is in a great situation to start from. our offensive line may have some new faces, but should be good as always...

X-Factor
11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know why defense would be a question...we return practically everyone. The entire D-Line, entire secondary minus Earl and getting guys off injury like Bowman and Colvin will be huge, Linebackers only lose Mays and we all know Henry is almost just as capable at middle backer. He has proven it every time Mays has been out the last two years. Defense will be the strength of the team next fall IMO.

Losing only 11 seniors is GREAT especially considering the level of team we fielded this year. Could be a seriously dominating team that takes the field.

Left tackle is what I'm worried about. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push Buckman to LT and Ebel or someone else start at RT. In that case, everything is fine but it is still something to think about.

bisonmike2
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know why defense would be a question...we return practically everyone. The entire D-Line, entire secondary minus Earl and getting guys off injury like Bowman and Colvin will be huge, Linebackers only lose Mays and we all know Henry is almost just as capable at middle backer. He has proven it every time Mays has been out the last two years. Defense will be the strength of the team next fall IMO.

Losing only 11 seniors is GREAT especially considering the level of team we fielded this year. Could be a seriously dominating team that takes the field.

Left tackle is what I'm worried about. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push Buckman to LT and Ebel or someone else start at RT. In that case, everything is fine but it is still something to think about.

We need to get more out of our defensive line. There were games were they were pushed around. We gave up to many rushing yards throughout the year. We need some big hogmollies up front to keep the guards from getting to our solid Lb crew. Those boys need to roam free and attack.

tcbison
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
When Coach Bohl was asked what position they need to recruit for, his answer was defense. You can never have too many defensive players. If you can have a dominant defense then your offensive will be that much better as well. The defense was good last year but in future years we will need a more dominating defense that gets more turnovers.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Looks great! It will get better since we probably haven't seen the full effects of the 63 scholorships yet. This years senior class redshirted and were the last transition recruiting class that can't go to the playoffs. (Babich was still the coach) Next years seniors only had the chance at 1 year. Then we're going to start seeing the effects of the full 63 scholorships!

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
thanks for the info littlegreen! I am really excited about next year! we should be dang good. I think our question marks will be in the defense, specifically secondary and line. Mertens has plenty of star power surrounding him and therefore is in a great situation to start from. our offensive line may have some new faces, but should be good as always...

The Secondary loses Earl corner and a backup Safety in Borass.
Returning at CB will be Bowman, Richardson, Agbetola and Colvin

The DL loses Brown, but returns Gratzke and Fairbairn. At DE the only loss is Dallas and return both Compton and Lardinois.

The defense is the last thing we need to worry about. The biggest question is wether Mertens will be able to replace Walker. The OL losses alot, but supposedly has a bunch of depth.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 04:31 PM

The DL loses Brown, but returns Gratzke and Fairbairn. At DE the only loss is Dallas and return both Compton and Lardinois.

The defense is the last thing we need to worry about. The biggest question is wether Mertens will be able to replace Walker. The OL losses alot, but supposedly has a bunch of depth.

Hopefully we get Courtney Mitchell back to bolster the secondary. I think we will have more questions on offense since we don't know how good the offenive line will be. We keep hearing about how deep they are and we won't know until they play. Running back, wide receiver, tight end, and fullback will be loaded. QB is the biggest ? mark but I think he's going to be very good. The guys up north were upset when we got him.

I think DE's are the hardest position to find and we're returning Compton and Lardinois so we should be good. Our linebackers will be among the best in the country. Our starters in the secondary should be great. Our defense should kik ass.

tcbison
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM

I guess it is a matter of opinion. I think a dominant defense that holds opponents to say 10-14 points a game or less would really help out Mertens and the offense. It sure would take the pressure off of his shoulders. We have been spoiled with a kick @@@ offense(just like the Vikings he he) this last year.

UTH
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I have never felt as optimistic about next season's roster as I do this year. The two biggest question marks that I see for next year are at punter and the offensive line. Those positions seem to take care of themselves very well from year to year. Life will be good!

Bison53
11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Is Bentrim still on the team? No!
Mertens will do just fine.

TransAmBison
11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
It sounds like I am the only person with reservations about next year. I think Mertens will be okay, but I just don't think know if he will have "it" when we are faced with adverse situations. I'm also concerned with the loss of Safe. Hopefully younger guys fill the void. And then there is the secondary. A full Gateway schedule will take its toll as well. (Not like the Great West didn't) We won't have a patsy like the Gophers this year either. :D

CaBisonFan
11-21-2007, 05:43 PM
By all accounts we should be stacked for next year. The following is a list of the top 10 teams from the final media poll and how many seniors they will be losing plus some of the top gateway teams as well:

1. NIU 19
2. Mont. 21
3. McNeese 25
4. SIU 18
5. App. State 19
6. Richmond 8
7. Mass. 17
8. NDSU 11
9. Eastern Kentucky 18
10. Del. State 20

15. Youngstown 23
WIU 13
SDSU 18

It looks very good for us next year. The big question, of course, is our quarterback going to be able to carry us? According to all of the testimonies, he should be as good, if not better, than Walker.

I'M JACKED FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Thanks for the work on this. I think that because of the quality of the players around him, Mertens (or whoever starts at QB) won't have to be great...at least to start. 'Good' and 'smart' would do nicely.

Wish Mertens would have had a little more playing time this year. It's certainly going to look different, not having Walker out there.

Here's your next assignment. Find out how many starters some of these teams lose. That's a lot more work, I know...but it would be fun to know.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the work on this. I think that because of the quality of the players around him, Mertens (or whoever starts at QB) won't have to be great...at least to start. 'Good' and 'smart' would do nicely.

Wish Mertens would have had a little more playing time this year. It's certainly going to look different, not having Walker out there.

Here's your next assignment. Find out how many starters some of these teams lose. That's a lot more work, I know...but it would be fun to know.

It will look different but we can do things with Mertens that we could not have attempted with Walker. Mertens had something like 60 some rushing TD's and is a legitimate running threat. He has one heck of an arm too. The West Coast offense is extremely complicated and he's had 3 years to learn it behind Walker. He looked great in his limited playing time. Let's hope he works extra hard this offseason.

bisonmike2
11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Mertens couldn't ask for a better situation to step into. Experienced WR's, solid O-line, monster running game. If his past performances in high school are any indication of what we are getting, we are in great shape. He appears to be a gamer, stepping up big when it counts. Alot like a certain QB that we used to have around here who went by the name of Walker.

bisonhusker
11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Simple question....not picking on anyone. Just curious why some people have some sort of hesitation to think that Mertins will be good (he will be a 4th year Junior, learned from a Bison Hall of Famer, same staff his entire stay at NDSU), but yet alot of fans seem to be all pumped up about certain players in the future that also haven't proven anything and have potentially less glitter on their resume (not many people can say they were Mr. Football in Minnesota). I am as excited about the potential in Bison football as anyone. Those signing day parties are exciting. To see the passion in the coaches after these kids make it official. Great day. I personally think Mertins will be fantastic, we reload....not rebuild.

bisonmike2
11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Simple question....not picking on anyone. Just curious why some people have some sort of hesitation to think that Mertins will be good (he will be a 4th year Junior, learned from a Bison Hall of Famer, same staff his entire stay at NDSU), but yet alot of fans seem to be all pumped up about certain players in the future that also haven't proven anything and have potentially less glitter on their resume (not many people can say they were Mr. Football in Minnesota). I am as excited about the potential in Bison football as anyone. Those signing day parties are exciting. To see the passion in the coaches after these kids make it official. Great day. I personally think Mertins will be fantastic, we reload....not rebuild.

Bingo. That's what good programs do.

onbison09
11-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Getting jacked already. How many months is it?

UTH
11-21-2007, 07:22 PM

My nomination for Post of the Day!

bisonmike2
11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Getting jacked already. How many months is it?

Is it too early to start the countdown to next years kick-off?

UTH
11-21-2007, 07:30 PM

Easy there, shooter. First things first. My doomsday clock starts ticking ten minutes after the 2008 schedule is officially announced.

IL_Bison
11-21-2007, 07:32 PM

+++++

I think our fanbase has been spoiled by so much continuity and excellence in the QB position under Walker, which has made us question how well Mertens will do. Like bisonhusker mentioned, he's a 4th year junior, so he knows the system but lacks game experience. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

BisManBison
11-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Rep points for this post!

UTH
11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Rep points for this post!

Yepper. Hopefully, by the end of the day, this post will make him "become famous soon enough.":D

BisManBison
11-21-2007, 07:43 PM

283 days if we get a game scheduled for August 30.:hide:

bisonhusker
11-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the rep points.

roadwarrior
11-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Remember a year ago when a lot of us were asking, "How are we going to run the ball next year without Steffes?"? Players graduate every year. There are many freshmen that redshirted this season that might surprise us next fall also.

bisonhusker
11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Anyone have a list of players/accomplishments that redshirted this year?

IL_Bison
11-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Anyone have a list of players/accomplishments that redshirted this year?

Press release from last years signing day.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=788266

NDSUFan_Sav
11-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Alright...you might be worried about the line....but Paschall has the speed and moves and isn't Tyler Roehl an OLine in himself?? haha......Also have Tyler Jangula

Gully
11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Good point/question. I think the answer is that Steve Walker is just that good and the QB position is just that important. He is a 1 in 1,000 QB at least. We might not be able to count on so many miracles.

That said, Nick actually has better skills and athleticism and has his own reputation as being a gamer. I think we'll be just fine and Nick may actually have a better stable of receivers as some of the speed guys improve and Schultenover takes a step forward. Magic man is a loss and he was one my more favorite players but we have multiple possession-type receivers still to work with.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Good point/question. I think the answer is that Steve Walker is just that good and the QB position is just that important. He is a 1 in 1,000 QB at least. We might not be able to count on so many miracles.

That said, Nick actually has better skills and athleticism and has his own reputation as being a gamer. I think we'll be just fine and Nick may actually have a better stable of receivers as some of the speed guys improve and Schultenover takes a step forward. Magic man is a loss and he was one my more favorite players but we have multiple possession-type receivers still to work with.

He's a great but 1 in 1000 means Steve Young like

TransAmBison
11-21-2007, 09:01 PM
He's a great but 1 in 1000 means Steve Young like
How about 1 in 997?

ndsubison1
11-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Was Mertens recruited by Minnesota at all? What other colleges looked at him or offered him?

skolbrother
11-22-2007, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=ming01;162143]Was Mertens recruited by Minnesota at all? What other colleges looked at him or offered him?[/QUOTE
Mertens was asked to walk on @ Minnesota. My hope is he is so good that we need no miracles next year, tailgate lot mid 4th qtr.!!!

sambini
11-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Nick Mertens will be just fine. He is a winner.

extremerouge
11-22-2007, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=ming01;162143]Was Mertens recruited by Minnesota at all? What other colleges looked at him or offered him?[/QUOTE
Mertens was asked to walk on @ Minnesota. My hope is he is so good that we need no miracles next year, tailgate lot mid 4th qtr.!!!
no way! I ALWAYS stay til the clock reads 0:00!