PDA

View Full Version : New basketball arena will cost $31.4 million

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

SDbison
05-08-2008, 04:19 AM
I still think it's Scheels. Scheels All Sports Arena like I suggested a couple years ago.
If its Stop n Go, how do you incorporate the company name into the arena name? Plus, even though I don't live in the area anymore I still have their jingle permanently etched into my memory. No need to hear it even more!
Stop N Go Arena...........hmmmmmmm, just doesn't sound that great........

99Bison
05-08-2008, 04:25 AM
My top two guesses:
Gate City Bank
Stop N Go

99Bison
05-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Last winter I was told that it would not be Scheels by someone that should know.

Stop N Go. NDSU did just rent the retail space in the Stop N Go Center on 19th and University.

Burgum, does he OWN the business, with local interest. Perhaps one of his other holdings, more than Microsoft name.

RDO? Not sure.

Bobcat is now owned by a Korean company, probably not.

Personally doubt it would be Scheels also.

Also BTW, the "Stop N Go Center" retail and apartments has no affiliation to the local gas station chain.

Hammersmith
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Trying to squeze every last bit of info out of Hallstrom's report...

1. Gene Taylor is talking to the head of a corporation. That knocks out Doug Burgum. It also makes any multi-national or other huge business very unlikely.

2. The corporation has a "presence" in Fargo. This suggests that, while major componants of the corporation exist in Fargo, the headquarters does not. I believe that would exclude Scheels and Stop-N-Go.

3. The corporation must have access to over $10 million in discretionary monies that can be spent on something with questionable value like naming rights. With the current economy, I would propose that that eliminates most banks and lenders; though not credit card-heavy institutions. RDO as well(though I've got a relative inside their accounting dept, so I'll ask the next chance I get).

Conclusions: US Bank and Bank of the West could be possibilities, but I really like MN_BISON's suggestion of the Tharaldsons. It kind of breaks point #2, but it rings true to me. The family made $1.2 billion(yes, billion) just two years ago when they sold off 130 hotels. That money went into land property purchases throughout the country, but they're managed from Las Vegas. I think they fit the bill better than most.

extremerouge
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
can I throw pracs into the ring? or is that a stupid guess?

imabison
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
can I throw pracs into the ring? or is that a stupid guess?
Pracs is changing over in ownership due to a merger, or at lease following the new company standards closely. There could be another round of you lost your job, but you can reapply for it.

Similar to something that happened a couple years ago.

Info from someone who works there.

roper1313
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
My guess would be either RDO or Tharaldson. RDO is having and will have another huge year when it comes to their Ag related sales. From what I've heard from local farmers John Deere is taking orders for fall of 2009 deliveries and later. From what I understand these next coulple of years will be some of the best for the Deere dealerships in a LONG time.

As mentioned above Tharaldson's made a huge amount of money on the sale of his properties. The number of $1.2B is what the properites sold for, but I'm guessing that there was quite a bit of debt on those poperties as well. Even if they only came away with $600-800M that's still pretty good. The only question mark there is the litegation from the ESOP. I think it's still pending and the fact that Gary was able to sell his properties very quickly and the ESOP has been trying for 3 years leads me to belive that they might have a case.

As far as Scheels goes I don't know if purchasing an arena would line up with their model as being employee owned. I think the Scheel family still has some control, but IMO they are a little conservative for this kind of venture.

As far as banks go the only two that I could see going into this arena are Wells and State Bank. As mentioned on other threads Wells already has naming rights in other midwest cities so I'd think not, and I can't see the Solberg family give that much money to NDSU. They are BIG Concordia backers. I just don't think Gate City (not quite big enough) or US Bank (struggling corporate wide) would be intested in this.

On the heath side PRACS is a very sucessful company, but I don't think they have a lot of local ownership any more. Meritcare may have been a option a few years ago, but medicare reimbursements have killed their bottom line over the past few years, and I don't really see how purchasing naming rights fits into the mission of a NFP healthcare system. Innovis Health? From what I've heard they are running at a higher profit then Meritcare, and their parent organizaiton (Essentia) is certainly large enough, but I can't see the nuns in Duluth going for this.

That's a real long winded answer to say that we are probably looking at either RDO or Tharaldson. Who knows we're probably all wrong.

Bison bison
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
US Bank is doing fine.

Bison bison
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
the only possibility that hasn't been listed is Ron Bergan/Fargo Assembly.

99Bison
05-08-2008, 03:17 PM
As far as banks go the only two that I could see going into this arena are Wells and State Bank. As mentioned on other threads Wells already has naming rights in other midwest cities so I'd think not, and I can't see the Solberg family give that much money to NDSU. They are BIG Concordia backers. I just don't think Gate City (not quite big enough) or US Bank (struggling corporate wide) would be intested in this.

You do realize Gate city is a billion dollar bank and is statewide right?

Bison bison
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Gate City is a great bank (I bank there), but I think a $10 million+ donation is out of their ballbark.

They listed a net worth of $114 million on Dec 31st. I don't see them giving $10 million to the University......(then again.....)

99Bison
05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Gate City is a great bank (I bank there), but I think a $10 million+ donation is out of their ballbark.

They listed a net worth of $114 million on Dec 31st. I don't see them giving $10 million to the University......(then again.....)

With a billion in assets, one could probably come up with 10M for a few years worth of advertising.

Civil06
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I haven't read up on them, but is Otter Tail Corp. a possibility?

bisonmike2
05-08-2008, 03:58 PM
My guesses in no particular order.

Border States Electric. Based out of Fargo. They are nearly a billion dollar company and they are still going strong even in this economy.

Magnum Trucking. Also based out of Fargo. Plus Wayne Gadberry (owner)has strong ties to NDSU. His sons went there. Not sure how strong the logistics business is in this economy.

Microsoft - I'm not ruling them out. Burgham has connections and could put Gene in contact with Balmer or Gates if he needed to.

Chub's - wishful thinking.

bisonmike2
05-08-2008, 04:03 PM
With a billion in assets, one could probably come up with 10M for a few years worth of advertising.

Keep in mind that this probably won't be a $10M lump sum. Look for something like $1M a year for 10 years or something like that. Rarely are these big donations due all at once.

TransAmBison
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
It is going to be Lakesbison Plaza. Write it down.

met1990
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
It is going to be Lakesbison Plaza. Write it down.

But wouldn't NDSU have to pay him for that right?

met1990
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but everyone's favorite commissioner seems to have quite a big of info. on here:

http://www.in-forum.com/talk/index.cfm?id=2267

99Bison
05-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Yep, a quite a lot of personal politicing it looks like.

bisonmike2
05-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but everyone's favorite commissioner seems to have quite a big of info. on here:

That's great and all but he still didn't acknowledge the fact that the funds used to build the new arena are surplus funds from the sales tax that the public already supported by public vote. A fund that was supposed to be used to pay off the dome and to be used to create enhancements which will make the Fargodome complex successful and competitive for the long run. Which is exactly what the arena addition would do. But like every other politician he would like to raid one fund surplus to pay off other debts or to fund other programs he thinks is best all while completely ignoring the original goal of the sales tax increase and untimately the public he claims to be a champion for. What a dink.

bisonmike2
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM

By listening to that guy you would get the feeling that the fargodome is a gigantic piece of crap the hemmorages money. He should be appointed emperor of fargo. It sounds like he knows what's best for the greater good, we should just do what he says.

Bison bison
05-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I like the idea of having a public vote.

On the same ballot should be a measure to recall Williams.

imabison
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I like the idea of having a public vote.

On the same ballot should be a measure to recall Williams.
Remember Mike Williams will be on the ballot this fall, vote for Piepkorn, and Coates. Bye bye Williams good bye.

NDSUstudent
05-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Remember Mike Williams will be on the ballot this fall, vote for Piepkorn, and Coates. Bye bye Williams good bye.

June 10th actually, city commission seats and the Cass county smoking ban will be on the ballot. I agree vote Piepkorn and Coates!

bisonmike2
05-08-2008, 08:46 PM

And that would explain him loitering around forum topics and flooding it with repsonses. Yeah, he's not trying to pander for votes at all.

roper1313
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM

I don't think Gate City has $1 billion in assets. They may have $1B in deposits, but not assets. Big difference.

One last thing, nobody has mentioned Ottertail. I know there are a few UND guys that are executives, but it is a Fargo based, OK co-based, company with the kind of cash to pay for this.

Just a thought.

Sorry Civil06 didn't see you mention Ottertail.

99Bison
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think Gate City has $1 billion in assets. They may have $1B in deposits, but not assets. Big difference.

Read the annual report on the Gate City website. It's right there for you.

roper1313
05-09-2008, 03:36 PM
How dare you throw out facts in this arguement ;)

I'm not going to get into the differences of accounting for banks and accounting for other business. But I will say that assets like to loans are not nearly as valuable as tangible assets.

Gate City has a net worth of $114M off of $952M in assets.
A company like Ottertail has a total net worth of $882M based on $1.454B in assets if calculated like Gate city did on their report.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it take a ton of assets in banking to make income. THe margins are thin and getting thinner. A blanket statement saying that X has a billion dollars in assets so they should be able to affoard it is just not accurate.

I love Gate City a do some of my banking there, along with just about all the other local banks in town, but I'm going to stand by my statement that they proabably aren't quite big enough to go into naming rights.

FYI Ottertail has close to $40M in cash while Gate City has around $2.5M. There's a difference between a $1.5 billion diversified company and a $1 billion bank. Assets are fun to talk about, but what we should be looking at is how much cash is available for naming rights.

I'm using Ottertail as an example because their info is only one of the corps we've been discussing with a true annual report available to the public.

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Read the annual report on the Gate City website. It's right there for you.

That's a marketing pamphlet not a financial report. There's no income or cash flow statement, no historical information and no footnotes. You can't devine anything meaningful about their business from that.

roper1313
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
That's a marketing pamphlet not a financial report. There's no income or cash flow statement, no historical information and no footnotes. You can't devine anything meaningful about their business from that.

Much more concise then my ramble.

TransAmBison
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
How dare you throw out facts in this arguement ;)

I'm not going to get into the differences of accounting for banks and accounting for other business. But I will say that assets like to loans are not nearly as valuable as tangible assets.

Gate City has a net worth of $114M off of $952M in assets.
A company like Ottertail has a total net worth of $882M based on $1.454B in assets if calculated like Gate city did on their report.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it take a ton of assets in banking to make income. THe margins are thin and getting thinner. A blanket statement saying that X has a billion dollars in assets so they should be able to affoard it is just not accurate.

I love Gate City a do some of my banking there, along with just about all the other local banks in town, but I'm going to stand by my statement that they proabably aren't quite big enough to go into naming rights.

FYI Ottertail has close to $40M in cash while Gate City has around $2.5M. There's a difference between a $1.5 billion diversified company and a $1 billion bank. Assets are fun to talk about, but what we should be looking at is how much cash is available for naming rights.

I'm using Ottertail as an example because their info is only one of the corps we've been discussing with a true annual report available to the public.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w145/dhkace513/Mathproblems.jpg

Go_Herd
05-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Ha I started laughing right away. I guess 4 years of engineering classes will do that to you

Tatanka
05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Sad, but true.:blush:

:rofl:

99Bison
05-09-2008, 04:13 PM

Then how does one deam the original "too small" comment?
Just trying to point out some facts as to "size."

The "marketing pamphlet" was to inform of size not prove how much money they have to spend. The similar "marketing" information on state bank has them at 1.8 is that "too small" also?

Gate city has about twice as many banks around the state as any other local bank. Are those included in whatever "too small" means?

Don't think we'll ever know actual financial reports for banks, so not sure how we could debate that.

Again, looking realistically at what it would take for naming rights, it's usually paid for over time, not up front.

Further, Gate City is one of few local banks that actually are largely diversified in their banking. Most other locals are just fronts for just sign and ship.

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Then how does one deam the original "too small" comment?
Just trying to point out some facts as to "size."

The "marketing pamphlet" was to inform of size not prove how much money they have to spend. The similar "marketing" information on state bank has them at 1.8 is that "too small" also?

Gate city has about twice as many banks around the state as any other local bank. Are those included in whatever "too small" means?

Don't think we'll ever know actual financial reports for banks, so not sure how we could debate that.

Again, looking realistically at what it would take for naming rights, it's usually paid for over time, not up front.

Further, Gate City is one of few local banks that actually are largely diversified in their banking. Most other locals are just fronts for just sign and ship.

I've got no problem w/ Gate City. I know that they do a lot for the community and they're already involved w/ the FargoDome's theatre productions. Reguardless of their size it's useless to look at that information and try to devine whether or not they've got $1 million a year laying around to do something like this. That's probably not the correct way to think about it either. This is really about where an organization chooses to 1) spend advertising dollars and 2) whether or not they perceive this kind of thing as part of their community mission as it's associated with a publicly owned facility (FargoDome) and a non-profit institution (NDSU).

Given the state of the Ag Economy, and Gate City's history of community involvement I think it's possible for them to do this. Or they may just keep doing what they're doing w/ the theatre sponsorship (likely in the new arena). The theatre sponsorship is probably a strike against Gate City in trying to figure out who's buying the rights because not all of their naming rights money would be 'new money.'

99Bison
05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I've got no problem w/ Gate City. I know that they do a lot for the community and they're already involved w/ the FargoDome's theatre productions. Reguardless of their size it's useless to look at that information and try to devine whether or not they've got $1 million a year laying around to do something like this. That's probably not the correct way to think about it either. This is really about where an organization chooses to 1) spend advertising dollars and 2) whether or not they perceive this kind of thing as part of their community mission as it's associated with a publicly owned facility (FargoDome) and a non-profit institution (NDSU).

Given the state of the Ag Economy, and Gate City's history of community involvement I think it's possible for them to do this. Or they may just keep doing what they're doing w/ the theatre sponsorship (likely in the new arena). The theatre sponsorship is probably a strike against Gate City in trying to figure out who's buying the rights because not all of their naming rights money would be 'new money.'

Yeah, that's the general path I was going down also.

TransAmBison
05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Ha I started laughing right away. I guess 4 years of engineering classes will do that to you
I found it shortly after bisonaudit was discussing loans and other financial jargon. If I remember correctly, it was miles above my head. I've saved this, hiding in the weeds, waiting for bisonaudit to give us some "accountant speak." I've been growing impatient, and this seemed the best fit in a while.

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I found it shortly after bisonaudit was discussing loans and other financial jargon. If I remember correctly, it was miles above my head. I've saved this, hiding in the weeds, waiting for bisonaudit to give us some "accountant speak." I've been growing impatient, and this seemed the best fit in a while.

I'm copying those thought bubbles to my office white board immediately. :)

Tatanka
05-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm copying those thought bubbles to my office white board immediately. :)

Waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you! :)

NDSU1980
05-12-2008, 01:23 AM
How about Gary Tharaldson?

I believe he is involved with a huge project in the Fargo area regarding a religious school and has donated millions to get it going, so I would doubt he'd spend more money on our project. Don't get me wrong, from what I've heard about Gary, he's generous, almost to a fault, but I think the timing could be bad for him now, along with the bad building economy.

HooliganBison
05-15-2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=201249&section=news&freebie_check&CFID=35116115&CFTOKEN=87539368&jsessionid=883036d1f82a1d1f5676

Forum article about naming rights.

HerdBot
05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
According to the UP Center website, they do not have any plans to host concerts.

WILL THE TYPES OF EVENTS HELD AT THE FACILITY CHANGE OVER TIME (IE, MORE CONCERTS, COLLEGE SPORTS, ETC)? Over time as the buildings tenants are established, we may look at bringing in additional events such as ice shows, exhibition hockey and basketball tournaments. Concerts are not in the event matrix.

http://www.upcenterfargo.org/quick_facts.html

Gully
05-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like this is taking forever? I know that it takes time to get everything lined up but at one point when this first came up they were talking about having it ready for the Fab 5s (of is it 4 now?) senior season. At the rate it's going, we'll be lucky to have a decision before their senior season. I would imagine construction would take close to 2 years once they actually decide to go ahead so we'd be looking at the 2010-2011 BB season?

Herd
05-17-2008, 03:24 PM
The moment the project is OK'd and we break ground, recruiting will be benefitted. It would be nice if the building was currenting being constructed or ideally we were playing in the F-dome this year, but a picture is worth a thousand words in the recruiting battle.

They need to move quickly, if for no other reason because the escalating price of steel.

imabison
05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like this is taking forever? I know that it takes time to get everything lined up but at one point when this first came up they were talking about having it ready for the Fab 5s (of is it 4 now?) senior season. At the rate it's going, we'll be lucky to have a decision before their senior season. I would imagine construction would take close to 2 years once they actually decide to go ahead so we'd be looking at the 2010-2011 BB season?
Be patient, word for a source that would know today indicated it will be after the elections settle down. There is a bit of adversity right now about the new Fargo Public School.

And NDSU has to come up with its share of the funds.

Just be patient...

BisBison
05-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Be patient, word for a source that would know today indicated it will be after the elections settle down. There is a bit of adversity right now about the new Fargo Public School.

And NDSU has to come up with its share of the funds.

Just be patient...

But I want my new toy NOW!!!:ranting: :ranting:

Bison bison
05-19-2008, 02:04 AM
give it to me NOW!!!

http://www.imamuseum.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/veruca_salt.jpg

SUBISON247
06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
anybody hear any new news about the Arena yet??? Somebody out there needs to know something.

Bison"FANatic"
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Elections is today and I expect more to happen after that. I for one am happy to see this sent to the back burner until after the election as it keeps Mike "I am against everything that moves this town forward" Williams from making it a major campaign point and bitching about it possibly being built.

Greenie
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't think it matters whether or not Mike Williams gets re-elected. He will try to refer it to a vote even if he is "just" a citizen. He will be a squeeky wheel no matter if he is a citizen or a commissioner.

From what I understand, the issue isn't referable because it is not NEW tax money. I think the interested parties already had the city attorney look at this issue. The FargoDome/City can use the money for the Dome addition as long as the FargoDome authority and City Commission give it the thumbs up.

Bison"FANatic"
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't think it matters whether or not Mike Williams gets re-elected. He will try to refer it to a vote even if he is "just" a citizen. He will be a squeeky wheel no matter if he is a citizen or a commissioner.

From what I understand, the issue isn't referable because it is not NEW tax money. I think the interested parties already had the city attorney look at this issue. The FargoDome/City can use the money for the Dome addition as long as the FargoDome authority and City Commission give it the thumbs up.

I agree I don't think it matters if he is reelected or not. I just figured we would have heard more from him about it in the weeks leading up to the position vote for city commision though. He mentioned it but the new highschool was more of a hot button so he focused on that quite a bit in interviews I heard. The new addition to the dome was mentioned but not to much. I believe the votes are there at the commission level. We will see, the only thing I see stopping it is if the cost comes in astronomically high.
Just my .02

bisonaudit
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Peipkorn in, Coates out, Williams retained. No change for NDSU. Net negative for Fargo. Just one man's opinion.

Congratulations to the 'do-nothing-NIMBY-idiot' crowd for retaining your voice on the commission. Well played.

Bison"FANatic"
06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

RedRiver
06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Kolpack on the results of the city election and the arena addition.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

"The generally accepted view is the city commission is in favor of the project by a 4-1 vote with only Mike Williams on the losing side. Once NDSU gets its naming rights in order, look for the project to get on the fast track to construction."

bisonaudit
06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Kolpack on the results of the city election and the arena addition.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

"The generally accepted view is the city commission is in favor of the project by a 4-1 vote with only Mike Williams on the losing side. Once NDSU gets its naming rights in order, look for the project to get on the fast track to construction."

Headline on that blog post is terrible. The arena vote was 4-1 on Monday and it's 4-1 today. Nothing changed.

SDbison
06-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Didn't someone post that the person, business or corporation that was going to pay for the arena naming rights was going to be announced in June. Is this still true? Were they possibly waiting for the election to be over? Is there some other reason they are waiting? Any inside info? Would be nice to get going on detailed plans so that future basketball recruits can be secured with the promise of a new arena. Also need to get going on the BSA improvements? When are those supposed to start?

NDSU1980
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Just curious on Mike Williams. What exactly is his problem anyhow? Sioux grad, per chance?

90BISON
06-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Just curious on Mike Williams. What exactly is his problem anyhow? Sioux grad, per chance?

From what I've heard and read on in-forum, he kind of sounds like a NO man. If it involves any spending of any kind, long term good or not, the answer is NO. We used to have some city council people here years ago that had the same mentality, if it were up to them we'd be driving on gravel city streets and still using outhouses. I could be completely off, but that is the feeling I get from the stuff I've read.:nod:

Bison Dan
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Williams plays to the old people in the city. He's a very poor commissioner and on any hard items always wants a vote of the people. He actually goes to some Bison games and claims he's a fan. A very narrow thinker and is totally in the green movement.

Bisonguy
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Williams plays to the old people in the city. He's a very poor commissioner and on any hard items always wants a vote of the people. He actually goes to some Bison games and claims he's a fan. A very narrow thinker and is totally in the green movement.
Don't forget he wanted the Fargodome surplus to go into a stewardship fund....

Bison"FANatic"
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
My opinion is that the Fargo you see today is the same Fargo Mr. Williams would like to see in 20 years. Just my .02. The vote will be 4 -1 though on the dome expansion if all the money lines up. I suspect you are going to here him screaming for another vote of the public on the dome expansion even though it does not need a vote.

bisonaudit
06-13-2008, 03:16 PM
His stance on what should go to a public vote is more or less indefensible. Just about the only plus on his score card for me is his environmental bent but I'm sure he'd oppose any green initiatives being referred to a public vote.

He's dancing with the populists on the Dome not on principle but out of convenience. But when it comes down to something he wants but isn't broadly popular, suddenly he'll be in love with the idea of a democratic republic again.

I wonder how he'd feel if the arena addition were also the first LEED certified public building in Fargo?

Bisonguy
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
His stance on what should go to a public vote is more or less indefensible. Just about the only plus on his score card for me is his environmental bent but I'm sure he'd oppose any green initiatives being referred to a public vote.

He's dancing with the populists on the Dome not on principle but out of convienance. But when it comes down to something he wants but isn't broadly popular, suddenly he'll be in love with the idea of a democratic republic again.

I wonder how he'd feel if the arena addition were also the first LEED certified public building in Fargo?

It wouldn't matter, unless his 'green' company was somehow in the mix.

Flintstone
06-13-2008, 07:36 PM

He's dancing with the populists on the Dome not on principle but out of convienance. But when it comes down to something he wants but isn't broadly popular, suddenly he'll be in love with the idea of a democratic republic again.

I believe the new library is intended to be LEED certified once complete.

Mr. Burgundy
07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
The new basketball arena is in the hands of NDSU at this point. I was expecting the annoucement, and haven't heard it. The Fargo money is there....lets get this going!!!!

Gary Tharaldson Arena....make it happen!!!

tcbison
07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
The new basketball arena is in the hands of NDSU at this point. I was expecting the annoucement, and haven't heard it. The Fargo money is there....lets get this going!!!!

Gary Tharaldson Arena....make it happen!!!

This sounds like great news! I assume the next step is naming rights? I would think that Scheel's would like to get in there. Hopefully there will be a bidding war for it.

roadwarrior
07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
This will only be great news when NDSU comes up with their share of the money for the arena. I have not seen where the Fargodome Authority voted to go ahead with the project, nor the city commission. But I'm assuming until NDSU gets the commitment for their share of the constuction costs, there is no sense in voting.

imabison
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
This will only be great news when NDSU comes up with their share of the money for the arena. I have not seen where the Fargodome Authority voted to go ahead with the project, nor the city commission. But I'm assuming until NDSU gets the commitment for their share of the constuction costs, there is no sense in voting.
I agree, it is now up to NDSU to make sure they have the funds.

bisonhusker
07-07-2008, 06:40 PM
It is a done deal when NDSU shows them the money. DONE. Please announce this quickly!!!!

Go_Herd
07-11-2008, 04:25 AM
So....anything?

*crickets chirping*

TheBisonator
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Most likely NDSU hasn't been able to come up with the 15.7 million yet, along with naming rights. I don't think anything's gonna happen until NDSU raises the money, otherwise there's still about 10 million saved up for a BSA renovation/expansion if we can't raise the funds.

TheBisonator
08-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Finally, a little movement on the project. Gene Taylor hired a firm to help sell naming rights.

Article: http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/210083

Trim
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I heard Gene was going to be on during hour 2 of Hammertime today. Hammer hinted may be some info on the arena. Anybody listen?

NDSUstudent
08-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I heard Gene was going to be on during hour 2 of Hammertime today. Hammer hinted may be some info on the arena. Anybody listen?

I listened and there wasn't anything new, basically they are going to meet with the consultant this week and it also sounds like the BSA renovation is getting close to starting.

Gene also said the new arena probably could be expandable to 7000-8000 if need be.

SDbison
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I listened and there wasn't anything new, basically they are going to meet with the consultant this week and it also sounds like the BSA renovation is getting close to starting.

Gene also said the new arena probably could be expandable to 7000-8000 if need be.
Expandability to 7000 or 8000 is barely acceptable. Even if so, I hope they have everything in place (i.e. risers formed, but no seats installed so they could at least use the upper area for standing room) for games against bigger DI names in the near future and make it relatively inexpensive and quick to finish the expansion later.
Can things finally start to move forward with the BSA remodel and maybe start breaking ground for the new basketball arena later this year so that it might have a chance to be ready for conference play mid basketball season in 2009 / 2010? At the latest I hope the new arena will be completed in the fall of 2010.
Talk of the BSA remodel has drug on for too long.......can't they at least get started on the stuff that would need to be done regardless if the arena is approved or disapproved (heaven forbid)?
Compared to other DI land grant / state universities, NDSU has to be in the bottom 10 percent for DI basketball facilities.

Gully
08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Expandability to 7000 or 8000 is barely acceptable. Even if so, I hope they have everything in place (i.e. risers formed, but no seats installed so they could at least use the upper area for standing room) for games against bigger DI names in the near future and make it relatively inexpensive and quick to finish the expansion later.
Can things finally start to move forward with the BSA remodel and maybe start breaking ground for the new basketball arena later this year so that it might have a chance to be ready for conference play mid basketball season in 2009 / 2010? At the latest I hope the new arena will be completed in the fall of 2010.
Talk of the BSA remodel has drug on for too long.......can't they at least get started on the stuff that would need to be done regardless if the arena is approved or disapproved (heaven forbid)?
Compared to other DI land grant / state universities, NDSU has to be in the bottom 10 percent for DI basketball facilities.

Sure, just send Gene a check and I'm sure they'll get right on it.:D :D :D

Gully
08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
In all seriousness, I think the arena is just waiting for a major donation to become a reality. Until they know if the arena is going to happen they're probably hesitant to move forward with the BSA changes because the end result of the changes is probably dependent upon whether it will continue to host Bison BB.

I don't know any of that for sure, that's just my guess.

SDbison
08-13-2008, 12:31 AM
In all seriousness, I think the arena is just waiting for a major donation to become a reality. Until they know if the arena is going to happen they're probably hesitant to move forward with the BSA changes because the end result of the changes is probably dependent upon whether it will continue to host Bison BB.

I don't know any of that for sure, that's just my guess.
Good try Gully, but I am not buying it......
They could still start on the coaches office and weightroom remodel, and the addition for basketball practice courts on the southwest side. I thought there was at least 8 million cash already in the bank specifically for the BSA improvements. Obviously adding more and improved seating in the fieldhouse along with more restrooms and concession stands would be eliminated by the construction of a new arena. The only thing that would be on the bubble would be banked track corners of which the design could change based on arena or no arena.
Somebody give me a real reason for the delay.......slow architects, need to collect interest on the money in the bank, Gene too busy with other projects, etc.)
My guess, NDSU is waiting for Lakes to earn his first 100 million dollars and pay for a brand new multipurpose facility with indoor track and football, basketball, and baseball practice areas. Of course Lakes would have his own executive office to personally interview all of the women recruits..........

roadwarrior
08-13-2008, 01:21 AM
The real reason for the delay is that the State Board of Higher Education mandated a one shot project. They did not want "phases" in the project. And the bottom line is the money is not there right now. The architect has pretty much completed the plans, and when the money is there, it can be put out for bids quite quickly.

99Bison
08-13-2008, 01:41 AM
The real reason for the delay is that the State Board of Higher Education mandated a one shot project. They did not want "phases" in the project. And the bottom line is the money is not there right now. The architect has pretty much completed the plans, and when the money is there, it can be put out for bids quite quickly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Very close but not quite there yet" I believe was the actual quote on the BSA.

Second, the Dome project is currently waiting on the consultant coming in to help determine what can be sponsored and what are could expected prices and parameters for the sponsorships.

Gully
08-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Good try Gully, but I am not buying it......
They could still start on the coaches office and weightroom remodel, and the addition for basketball practice courts on the southwest side. I thought there was at least 8 million cash already in the bank specifically for the BSA improvements. Obviously adding more and improved seating in the fieldhouse along with more restrooms and concession stands would be eliminated by the construction of a new arena. The only thing that would be on the bubble would be banked track corners of which the design could change based on arena or no arena.
Somebody give me a real reason for the delay.......slow architects, need to collect interest on the money in the bank, Gene too busy with other projects, etc.)
My guess, NDSU is waiting for Lakes to earn his first 100 million dollars and pay for a brand new multipurpose facility with indoor track and football, basketball, and baseball practice areas. Of course Lakes would have his own executive office to personally interview all of the women recruits..........

You're right, they're waiting just to piss you off and I'm trying to cover for them.:D I'm having too much fun with this. Sounds like it's the $$$$.

roper1313
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Reading between the lines a little it sounded like they were had a couple of large donors in the pipe and when and if they hit the project would be ready to run. Was it just me or did Gene sound like best case senario the dust starts flying at the BSA in mid fall.

sambini
08-14-2008, 12:15 AM
- Revised dome addition plans expected to be finished late Dec/early Jan
- Market assessment to be finished in late Feb/early March (will give tangible data showing this area needs this type of facility)
- Presentation to Dome Authority in March for a vote
- Presentation to City Commission in April for a vote

All the funding (corporate/NDSU) will need to be in place before the votes will go through. If the city is only on the hook for $15 million, I think it will pass. That is a small investment for an additional quality multi-purpose facility.
Thanks Greenie for the insight+++

roadwarrior
08-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Sambini, that post of Greenie's was from last december.......looks like those dates have come and gone.

SDbison
08-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Sambini, that post of Greenie's was from last december.......looks like those dates have come and gone.
Bureaucratic delays.............

Hammersmith
08-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Bureaucratic delays.............

Money delays.

Until NDSU can come up with the funds, the project won't proceed. Anyone got an extra $10 million lying around?

sambini
09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Did they vote on the Dome addition at last nights city commission meeting? That was the word at the Bison Open at FCC on monday

Bisonguy
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Did they vote on the Dome addition at last nights city commission meeting? That was the word at the Bison Open at FCC on monday

Yes, all but one voted in favor.

imabison
09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, all but one voted in favor.
There is a mention about 3/4 of the way thru this article.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=214187&section=news

Our favorite commissioner voted against it...

The commission also voted 4-1 to give NDSU the go-ahead to continue its search for a sponsor for naming rights for a proposed $30 million, 6,000-seat arena addition for the Fargodome.

NDSU and Fargo Dome Authority officials said the commission’s OK to release the naming rights was key to helping NDSU find a sponsor and come up with its $15 million share of the cost.

Commissioner Mike Williams voted against the move, saying that if the project goes ahead and the city takes its $15 million share of the costs from the dome’s escrow fund, future needed work at the dome could be put in jeopardy.

tcbison
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
There is a mention about 3/4 of the way thru this article.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=214187&section=news

Our favorite commissioner voted against it...

The commission also voted 4-1 to give NDSU the go-ahead to continue its search for a sponsor for naming rights for a proposed $30 million, 6,000-seat arena addition for the Fargodome.

NDSU and Fargo Dome Authority officials said the commission’s OK to release the naming rights was key to helping NDSU find a sponsor and come up with its $15 million share of the cost.

Commissioner Mike Williams voted against the move, saying that if the project goes ahead and the city takes its $15 million share of the costs from the dome’s escrow fund, future needed work at the dome could be put in jeopardy.

Mike Williams voted against the move. What a shocker!

Bison"FANatic"
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
If Mike had his way we would all be running around behind horse and buggies and we would not get progression of this town at all. He would allow us to read a book though while we were on our horses. I don't think the guy is for anything that might be a little risky but could propell Fargo forward. I think his idea of a risk is not wearing his non slip shoes into the shower.

I for one am glad we have some visionaries on the board.

bisonaudit
09-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Williams may actually be correct about the escrow fund, post expansion there may not be enough money to cover anticipated repairs and maintenance in perpetuity but, that's a pretty short sighted argument.

There's not much point in having a fully funded maintenance account for a facility that's under serving the public and not making money.

The expansion is, I think, within the accepted uses of the escrow fund and the FargoDome is facing a market place where it's having trouble attracting mid-sized shows. In addition to providing more flexibility for the Dome re: trade shows etc., the expansion will make them more competitive for mid-sized shows, and its a huge win for NDSU and the community writ large. If it's half the success people are hoping for they'll be able to replenish the maintenance fund from the added revenues.

The expansion is a win financially and a win from a mission fulfillment perspective.

sambini
09-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Williams may actually be correct about the escrow fund, post expansion there may not be enough money to cover anticipated repairs and maintenance in perpetuity but, that's a pretty short sighted arguement.

There's not much point in having a fully funded maintenance account for a facility that's under serving the public and not making money.

The expansion is, I think, within the accepted uses of the escrow fund and the FargoDome is facing a market place where it's having trouble attracting mid-sized shows. In addition to providing more flexibility for the Dome re: trade shows etc., the expansion will make them more competitive for mid-sized shows, and its a huge win for NDSU and the community writ large. If it's half the success people are hoping for they'll be able to replenish the maintenance fund from the added revenues.

The expansion is a win financially and a win from a mission fullment perspective.
Thanks for your insight Bison Audit++++

imabison
10-08-2008, 07:00 PM
There was new information on WDAY TV last night about the search for the NDSU financing for the arena.

Hallstrom stated that NDSU would be meeting with the propects before the end of October. Sounds like it will not be just 1 , but several donators for the project.

Gene Taylor was interviewed stating that contacts would be made by the end of the month, with contract negotiations being hopefully completed by the end of the year.

No names or hints of names given.

Gully
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
There was new information on WDAY TV last night about the search for the NDSU financing for the arena.

Hallstrom stated that NDSU would be meeting with the propects before the end of October. Sounds like it will not be just 1 , but several donators for the project.

Gene Taylor was interviewed stating that contacts would be made by the end of the month, with contract negotiations being hopefully completed by the end of the year.

No names or hints of names given.

This is exciting but could their timing be worse? Anyone with that kind of wealth almost certainly has major exposure in the stock market and has seen 30-40 percent of the value of those investments go away. I wonder if they'll be as willing to donate large sums given the current state of affairs in the markets?

Thunder_Struck
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
If you have that kind of money there is no need to be in the stock market. However, greed is a powerful thing.

Gully
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. Buffet has tons of money in the market. What do you think they do, stuff it under their matresses?

imabison
10-10-2008, 04:19 PM
This is exciting but could their timing be worse? Anyone with that kind of wealth almost certainly has major exposure in the stock market and has seen 30-40 percent of the value of those investments go away. I wonder if they'll be as willing to donate large sums given the current state of affairs in the markets?
I was thinking about that last night. Lets hope things will proceed smoothly.

tjbison
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
If you have that kind of money there is no need to be in the stock market. However, greed is a powerful thing.

Umm, most of the wealth comes from the stock market, realestate etc.etc.etc, ordinary joe blow with a 401k is "in the stock market"!

56BISON73
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Most of the big players have there investments hedged. They are also very diversified so when one sector goes down they also have investments in the sectors that go up. PL

BisBison
10-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Most of the big players have there investments hedged. They are also very diversified so when one sector goes down they also have investments in the sectors that go up. PL

Ummm, what sector exactly that's going up are you referring too? Commodities down; oil down; stocks down; bonds down; real estate down. This week is didn't matter where you had your money save under your mattress, you lost money, big money. That said, things will come back, they always do, you just wonder when we hit bottom.

Bison bison
10-10-2008, 07:49 PM
with a short position, down is up, baby

:)

:( !!!

56BISON73
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
with a short position, down is up, baby

:( !!!

Dont forget Puts. PL

BisBison
10-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Dont forget Puts. PL

you can't bet on a down economy forever and win. Somewhere, somehow someone has to make money for the gamblers to win.

56BISON73
10-11-2008, 03:47 AM
you can't bet on a down economy forever and win. Somewhere, somehow someone has to make money for the gamblers to win.

Remember---for every dollar lost in the market someone made money. PL

duluthbison
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Does anybody know what the current status of the new bball arena is? Last I heard, NDSU was trying to find funds and once that happens it is a go because the Dome commission has approved it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 11:16 PM
When there is some new information - you'll read it here first !!!

BisBison
10-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Remember---for every dollar lost in the market someone made money. PL

In gambling yes, but in the stock market if the company loses money everybody loses. This is not a zero sum game. If all the companies are losing money nobody wins in the long run. You can cover in the short run, but not forever.

bisonmike2
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Well Phillip-Morris profits are up 20%. People apparently smoke in bad economic times. I guess some of the big alcohol players are doing ok too. Maybe we could go after them for the naming rights.:)

Phillip-Morris Arena
Jack Daniels Fieldhouse
Jaguermister Court - This really excites me. We could have a skills competition featuring a 3 point contest called the Jag-Bomb Competition
Virginia Slims Sports Complex

Any other ideas?

aces1180
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Well Phillip-Morris profits are up 20%. People apparently smoke in bad economic times. I guess some of the big alcohol players are doing ok too. Maybe we could go after them for the naming rights.:)

Phillip-Morris Arena
Jack Daniels Fieldhouse
Jaguermister Court - This really excites me. We could have a skills competition featuring a 3 point contest called the Jag-Bomb Competition

Any other ideas?

Summers Eve Douche Arena
Pamida Place
Natty Light Center
Family Dollar Forum

Civil06
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Fat Tire Fieldhouse
Durex Arena - "The Den"
Skoal Center
Alco Arena (although I prefer Aces' "Pamida Place")

bisonmike2
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Summers Eve Douche Arena
Pamida Place
Natty Light Center
Family Dollar Forum

Summers Eve Douche Arena really doesn't flow off the tongue, so I'll say no to that. The rest have potential.

I like the Family Dollar Forum. All concessions could sell for a buck.

Schlitz Center
O'douls O'rena
Redman (chewing tobacco) Center - Wait, maybe that's a better sponsor for the hockey arena up north?

aces1180
10-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Summers Eve Douche Arena really doesn't flow off the tongue, so I'll say no to that. The rest have potential.

I like the Family Dollar Forum. All concessions could sell for a buck.

Schlitz Center
O'douls O'rena
Redman (chewing tobacco) Center - Wait, maybe that's a better sponsor for the hockey arena up north?

Yeah, I just added SEDA for laughs...Reminded my of BASEketball with the Maxi-Pad Arena or whatever it was called.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Trojan arena ---> for defense :)

Stop n Go Complex -----> name says the meaning

TheBisonator
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Preparation H Arena and the FFD could be Maxi Tampon Stadium (from the intro to the movie "Baseketball")

I really wish I had a pic of those...

d3boys
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
pfeifer fieldhouse

should be cheap

Herd
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
When is this thing going to get done? What is the Best Case/Worst Case scenario for Tip-off in the new "Fargodome Forum"

Best Case: 2009-10 (1 year from now)?
Most Likely: 2011-12 (3 years from now)?
Worst Case 20013-14 (5 years from now)?

What do you think is the most likely scenario???

SDbison
10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
When is this thing going to get done? What is the Best Case/Worst Case scenario for Tip-off in the new "Fargodome Forum"

Best Case: 2009-10 (1 year from now)?
Most Likely: 2011-12 (3 years from now)?
Worst Case 20013-14 (5 years from now)?

What do you think is the most likely scenario???
2009 - 2010 Impossible
2010 - 2011 Hopefully
2011 - 2012 Realistic
2012 - 2013 Possibly
2013 - 2014 Forget it

99Bison
10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
2009 - 2010 Impossible
2010 - 2011 Hopefully
2011 - 2012 Realistic
2012 - 2013 Possibly
2013 - 2014 Forget it

2009 - 2010 Nope
2010 - 2011 Probably
2011 - 2012 2nd Most probable
2012 - 2013 Possibly

NDSUstudent
10-25-2008, 01:11 AM
How about...Simplot Center or the Jiffy John Bowl...Oh, wait I forgot those two where waiting in line for UND's new retractable roof stadium

sambini
10-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Walaker Arena

IzzyFlexion
10-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Phillip-Morris Arena
Jack Daniels Fieldhouse

Any other ideas?
The Viagra Hardwood

imabison
10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Walaker Arena
I still say let the NDSU students name the facility...

Hammersmith
10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
The Viagra Hardwood

Shouldn't that be the Enzyte Hardwood?

The crowd could all whistle at halftime with big smiles.

(of course, the makers will have to get out of prison first)

extremerouge
10-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Shouldn't that be the Enzyte Hardwood?

The crowd could all whistle at halftime with big smiles.

(of course, the makers will have to get out of prison first)
why are they in prison?

sambini
10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Chubs Pub Arena

Hammersmith
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
why are they in prison?

On February 22, 2008, Steven Warshak was found guilty of 93 counts of conspiracy, fraud and money laundering. On August 27, 2008 he was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Arthur Spiegel to 25 years in prison and ordered to pay $93,000 in fines. His company, Berkeley Premium Nutraceuticals, along with other defendants, was ordered to forfeit $500 million. His 75-year-old mother, Harriet Warshak, was sentenced to two years in prison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyte

(didn't know any of this either until doublechecking the spelling for the previous post)

extremerouge
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
On February 22, 2008, Steven Warshak was found guilty of 93 counts of conspiracy, fraud and money laundering. On August 27, 2008 he was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Arthur Spiegel to 25 years in prison and ordered to pay $93,000 in fines. His company, Berkeley Premium Nutraceuticals, along with other defendants, was ordered to forfeit $500 million. His 75-year-old mother, Harriet Warshak, was sentenced to two years in prison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyte

(didn't know any of this either until doublechecking the spelling for the previous post)
they even put his mother in prison huh! That's the way it should be...if you don't raise good kids, JAIL!

Hammersmith
10-27-2008, 12:20 AM
they even put his mother in prison huh! That's the way it should be...if you don't raise good kids, JAIL!

I ain't touching that with a 10 inch pole.

Foot.

10 foot pole.

BlueBisonRock
10-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I ain't touching that with a 10 inch pole.

Foot.

10 foot pole.

Considering the product? :D

SDbison
10-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Back on topic.....I posted this when talking about Missouri States new basketball arena but thought it might get more discussion here:
I still think making the basketball/ small concert arena only big enough for 6000 - 7000 is a BIG MISTAKE. From about 1981 to 1984 when NDSU had great DII teams the BSA was packed for almost every game with about 6500 fans.
Apparently nobody thinks the excitement of DI basketball 25 years later can match or exceed that. Why only 6500 capacity now? Same as the crappy old BSA of today? So after a NCAA appearance next year and things take off how will it look when the building is completed and demand is close to 8000. And don't say they will play in the dome. That would be a big step down in game atmosphere.
The UP Center can hold 5000 (4000 for a concert). To create a unique size building between the UP Center and the Dome the new facility should be closer to 10,000. At least build it for 7500 with ability to add up to 2500 seats. Oh yeah, I forgot, some of you think a 10,000 seat arena is just so enormous, if it is only half full it would feel too empty. Well most of that issue can be alleviated by designing an upper and lower ring of seats.
OK, so it costs more. If you are that cost concious then why not play at the UP Center and save the 35 million that it would cost for a slightly larger venue (i.e. only 1500 more seats)?

NDSUstudent
10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I may as well move response to this thread..

The UP Center is a hockey arena(completely filled up with high school and USHL games btw) and is also off campus. We can't play there, and it will take forever to raise 50-60 million to build a 10k seat arena. So our options are either play in the BSA or build a 6-7k seat arena that is expandable to 7.5-8k.

I don't understand the battle cry here, UNI plays in a simlar sized facility with no troubles and they are MVC team that has had some tremendous success over the past decade. Gonzaga also plays in a smaller arena. I would love to have an arena that seats 7.5k and is expandable to 10k but in the end I want a new arena much more than another decade in the BSA.

99Bison
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder how much standing room there is... At UNI for example, there whole concorse is standable... You could probably get 1000 people standing up there.

Bison55
10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree...let's get it done sooner than later instead of waiting for some state of the art arena that will never get built.

Not sure if anyone has seen Mankato States Basketball arena but IMO it's really nice. A little small but we could build a little bigger, like 6000 to 8000

Either way a D1 team should not be playing in the BSA.

Bison55
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Here's a link by the way. Pretty cool how they put "MSU" in the seats.

http://www.mnsu.edu/busoff/msumqtvr/tour_pages/uppercampus/inside/taylorcenter/commencement/fall2001/mainfloor_mid.html

duluthbison
10-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Back on topic.....I posted this when talking about Missouri States new basketball arena but thought it might get more discussion here:
I still think making the basketball/ small concert arena only big enough for 6000 - 7000 is a BIG MISTAKE. From about 1981 to 1984 when NDSU had great DII teams the BSA was packed for almost every game with about 6500 fans.
Apparently nobody thinks the excitement of DI basketball 25 years later can match or exceed that. Why only 6500 capacity now? Same as the crappy old BSA of today? So after a NCAA appearance next year and things take off how will it look when the building is completed and demand is close to 8000. And don't say they will play in the dome. That would be a big step down in game atmosphere.
The UP Center can hold 5000 (4000 for a concert). To create a unique size building between the UP Center and the Dome the new facility should be closer to 10,000. At least build it for 7500 with ability to add up to 2500 seats. Oh yeah, I forgot, some of you think a 10,000 seat arena is just so enormous, if it is only half full it would feel too empty. Well most of that issue can be alleviated by designing an upper and lower ring of seats.
OK, so it costs more. If you are that cost concious then why not play at the UP Center and save the 35 million that it would cost for a slightly larger venue (i.e. only 1500 more seats)?

The truth is that the FargoDome wants a 6-7k seat venue for smaller concerts, which would also be home to NDSU Basketball. Why would they want to build another 10k seat arena next door if the only thing that they will get out of it will be basketball? They may as well just drop the curtain at the 50yd line and turn it into a 10k arena. Besides any new arena will be better than the BSA.

Herd
11-01-2008, 03:41 AM
I agree...let's get it done sooner than later instead of waiting for some state of the art arena that will never get built.

Not sure if anyone has seen Mankato States Basketball arena but IMO it's really nice. A little small but we could build a little bigger, like 6000 to 8000

Either way a D1 team should not be playing in the BSA.

I frequent the Bresnan Arena (Taylor Center) at Minnesota State here in southern MN, and yes this is a very nice facility. Has a cool glassed in hospitality area for entertaining. I think it holds like 3500, so yes it is relatively small. But it is very nice.

Saw a kid last year at a Mav game wearing a Bison #10 jersey, probably drove in from Woody's stomping grounds. I went out of my way to hi-5 the young man. Needless to say, we both would rather have been at the BSA watching our favorite team.

sambini
11-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I wonder how much standing room there is... At UNI for example, there whole concorse is standable... You could probably get 1000 people standing up there.
I was very impressed with UNI s arena. Not a bad seat in the house imo.

Bison55
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Herd

Sounds like you live in Mankato?

We just moved back to Fargo from there. I lived there for 12 years after college and I am glad to be back up here. I have always thought they have a nice arena.

I just had a group of friends drive up from Mankato for the Football game. they loved it!

NDSUstudent
11-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Even the guys that want a large arena have to admit something like this would be a 100 times better than one more game in the BSA...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/349742830_55cb69c244_b.jpg

mebisonII
11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Even the guys that want a large arena have to admit something like this would be a 100 times better than one more game in the BSA...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/349742830_55cb69c244_b.jpg

That's pretty sweet. Looks like everyone's right on top of the court!

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 03:15 PM
That's pretty sweet. Looks like everyone's right on top of the court!

That's pretty sweet. Except for the blue seats. What the hell is wrong with getting seats that match the school colors!

roadwarrior
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
That's pretty sweet. Except for the blue seats. What the hell is wrong with getting seats that match the school colors!

The seats look pretty darn close to the color on the warmups.

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
The seats look pretty darn close to the color on the warmups.

Which would be pretty sweet if they wore their warmups as actual game jerseys. If I'm building an arena for a school (And I will once I win a 100 mill plus in Powerball) here are my priorities for seats.

School Primary Color 1
School Primary Color 2
Black.

I just don't dig blue seats.

99Bison
11-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Actualy I am 90% sure those seats are purple... I took some pictures last month of it with cell phone, now I have to go look.

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Actualy I am 90% sure those seats are purple... I took some pictures last month of it with cell phone, now I have to go look.

Bravo to them if they are purple. Looks blue to me in the picture.

99Bison
11-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Bravo to them if they are purple. Looks blue to me in the picture.

They sure do look blue in that pic. Just looked at my phone, in those pics they look almost as blue as this pic in comparison to the floor, but the other shots (without the purple of the floor), they look more purple. It's also possible that the one end of risers are purple. Also, if I remember right the purple was darker/richer than their floor purple.

99Bison
11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
ok just a little research helped out...
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-26702582_ITM
--------------------------
COPYRIGHT 2006 Waterloo Courier

Byline: Matt Coss

Nov. 19--CEDAR FALLS -- When Eric Coleman made his first visit to the University of Northern Iowa, the McLeod Center was just a dream.

"They were still trying to raise money for it," the UNI junior basketball player said. "They showed us some of the blueprints, but you weren't quite sure what was going to come of it." Now, after all the fund-raising efforts, the groundbreaking ceremony and nearly two years of construction, the $25 million state of the art facility is a reality. The purple chairback seats are in, the basketball floor has been laid and the scoreboard is up and running. Coleman and the Panthers will say goodbye to the UNI-Dome (except for one game each season) and make their much-anticipated debut in the 7,018-seat McLeod Center at 4:05 p.m. today against Wisconsin-Milwaukee. "I don't know if it could have been done or turned out any better," UNI first-year head coach Ben Jacobson said. "To see how close...

99Bison
11-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Found this ironicly funny too...

UNIAlum9511-20-2006, 10:32 AM
"Looks like most of the empty seats are in the STUDENT SECTION

I think that is an optical illusion given the purple seats with people wearing purple. There were a ton of prime mid court seats open on both sides (I know because there were four mid court seats right next to me about 10 rows up)."

gobison.gsb
11-15-2008, 03:18 AM
SO, I have had enough with this BSA crap. I have played pep band for the last 4 (counting this upcoming season) years now, and if there has ever been a better time for a new arena IT IS NOW!!

Beware: rant coming!

We show up to the BSA and we notice that one set of bleachers is not there that night. weird? we all thought so. we then are warned that we cannot jump, sway, or basically make any movements what so ever in our alloted section of collapsable bleachers. <---see where this is going. We later find out that the reason we cannot basically move is because one of the sections of bleachers collapsed as they were setting it up before the game. (yeah, we were supposed to keep it on the down low, but I was so angry/worried that I couldn't just ignore it).

AWESOME! that means that we are about 35-40 STUDENTS on these bleachers. REAL TRUSTWORTHY. so we can't move incase the whole bleachers sways to much and falls down, and not moving means standing motionless with no spirit or fun at all. COOL!:banghead:

ALSO, while i'm at it. now we've been reduced from our "thank you for playing" and getting a hot dog and a pop, to a hot dog and bag of chips OR a pop. ? :confused: WTF?

I am so glad I play pep band purely because I enjoy playing because we basically pay athletic fees as students to stand motionless on creaky, old, scary bleachers to get less than a hot dog and a pop as a thank you from athletics.

I am not asking for a stage and loads of money each game. I am simply asking for a decent, AND SAFE place to play and have some fun with my friends, entertain the fans, cheer for the teams and get at LEAST a hot dog AND a pop for providing such music/entertainment.

Funny, I thought we were a DI school, but still we appear to be....I don't even know if DIII is acceptable.

Hammersmith
11-15-2008, 03:29 AM

rant
Wow.

You guys get hot dogs?

All we got was the pop.

:p :D

gobison.gsb
11-15-2008, 03:54 AM
well hot dog and a pop is pretty lame compared to other schools that get money per game for going. We're a DI school, 'bout time our pep band should be too.

yeah, hot dog OR a pop on collapsing bleachers. awesome :smh:
life is good for the gold star band.

GOB1SON
11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
SO, I have had enough with this BSA crap. I have played pep band for the last 4 (counting this upcoming season) years now, and if there has ever been a better time for a new arena IT IS NOW!!

We show up to the BSA and we notice that one set of bleachers is not there that night. weird? we all thought so. we then are warned that we cannot jump, sway, or basically make any movements what so ever in our alloted section of collapsable bleachers. <---see where this is going. We later find out that the reason we cannot basically move is because one of the sections of bleachers collapsed as they were setting it up before the game. (yeah, we were supposed to keep it on the down low, but I was so angry/worried that I couldn't just ignore it).

AWESOME! that means that we are about 35-40 STUDENTS on these bleachers. REAL TRUSTWORTHY. so we can't move incase the whole bleachers sways to much and falls down, and not moving means standing motionless with no spirit or fun at all. COOL!:banghead:

ALSO, while i'm at it. now we've been reduced from our "thank you for playing" and getting a hot dog and a pop, to a hot dog and bag of chips OR a pop. ? :confused: WTF?

I am so glad I play pep band purely because I enjoy playing because we basically pay athletic fees as students to stand motionless on creaky, old, scary bleachers to get less than a hot dog and a pop as a thank you from athletics.

I am not asking for a stage and loads of money each game. I am simply asking for a decent, AND SAFE place to play and have some fun with my friends, entertain the fans, cheer for the teams and get at LEAST a hot dog AND a pop for providing such music/entertainment.

Funny, I thought we were a DI school, but still we appear to be....I don't even know if DIII is acceptable.

Thank you and to all the pep band for doing a great job during the games I went to last week. I thought that you all did a fantastic job!

Take the soda, the chips will just go to your hips.

tjbison
11-15-2008, 03:48 PM
well hot dog and a pop is pretty lame compared to other schools that get money per game for going. We're a DI school, 'bout time our pep band should be too.

yeah, hot dog OR a pop on collapsing bleachers. awesome :smh:
life is good for the gold star band.

If this new arena gets built I think you will see some very positive changes. There might be a little hesitation now without knowing what arena they will be in!! IMO

El_Chapitan
11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
If this new arena gets built I think you will see some very positive changes. There might be a little hesitation now without knowing what arena they will be in!! IMO

I'm sorry, but having fought with athletics for the last four years to keep getting hot dogs, pop, or anything at all. You're dreaming if the band gets treated with anything unless President Chapman says its going to be done.

bisonmike2
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow.

You guys get hot dogs?

All we got was the pop.

:p :D

Well that explains why NDSU's debt has doubled in the past 5 years. Hot Dogs are expensive!

BisBison
11-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Well that explains why NDSU's debt has doubled in the past 5 years. Hot Dogs are expensive!

NDSU's debt has doubled in the past 5 years because the university is GROWING. Debt Payments are only 2.3% of the total budget, well below the 5% guideline. The debt has come from student fee based bonding for the student union and wellness center and housing contract based bonding for West Learning Centers and the new Bison Court. Which of these buildings do you suggest we could have done without? The headline in the Forum was the shittest headline I have ever read. The article did explain things fairly well, but many people only read headlines. Sorry for the rant, but the Fargo Forum really has me stirred up on this one.

90BISON
11-18-2008, 12:38 AM
NDSU's debt has doubled in the past 5 years because the university is GROWING. Debt Payments are only 2.3% of the total budget, well below the 5% guideline. The debt has come from student fee based bonding for the student union and wellness center and housing contract based bonding for West Learning Centers and the new Bison Court. Which of these buildings do you suggest we could have done without? The headline in the Forum was the shittest headline I have ever read. The article did explain things fairly well, but many people only read headlines. Sorry for the rant, but the Fargo Forum really has me stirred up on this one.

Yes, if you just read the headline and not the whole article, it appeared as a bit of a financial debacle by the current adminstration. Then you read the entire article and then it's like, OK not a big deal. Then you get Heitkamp giving a little jab about it on his radio show today, like he enjoys from time to time, but fails to mention how much UND has bonded and the fact their enrollement is going the wrong direction. He got an e-mail from me over that one.

BisBison
11-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes, if you just read the headline and not the whole article, it appeared as a bit of a financial debacle by the current adminstration. Then you read the entire article and then it's like, OK not a big deal. Then you get Heitkamp giving a little jab about it on his radio show today, like he enjoys from time to time, but fails to mention how much UND has bonded and the fact their enrollement is going the wrong direction. He got an e-mail from me over that one.

He also failed to mention that their (und's) debt is just shy of ours, but actually is a larger percentage of their budget due to their smaller student body. I just f(*&ing hate it when the press tells half of the story to suit their slanted view.

McBison
11-18-2008, 01:31 AM
He also failed to mention that their (und's) debt is just shy of ours, but actually is a larger percentage of their budget due to their smaller student body. I just f(*&ing hate it when the press tells half of the story to suit their slanted view.

Back page...said something around 105M. VCSU and Mayville spend a larger percent (then NDSU) on interest payments. You had to read the back page to get any real information. I was pissed...still am

duluthbison
12-03-2008, 05:44 AM
New news on the status of the basketball arena in todays Forum

There is a local company who is seriously looking at buying the naming rights but the company does not want to be named publicly yet....and Scheels has not yet received a formal presentation from NDSU Administration.

Read the Article Here:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=223832&section=news

aces1180
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
New news on the status of the basketball arena in todays Forum

There is a local company who is seriously looking at buying the naming rights but the company does not want to be named publicly yet....and Scheels has not yet received a formal presentation from NDSU Administration.

Read the Article Here:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=223832&section=news

Hmmmm....Anyone have any ideas? My out-of-left field guess is DMI in West Fargo.

met1990
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
E.A. Schultz Construction, LLC???

;)

imabison
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Hmmmm....Anyone have any ideas? My out-of-left field guess is DMI in West Fargo.
If you read the article it says the company wishes it NOT to be public. Its needs to left unknown and hope they can make it happen.

This was listed in the article. I mispoke when I said they had not been contacted.

Steve M. Scheel, president of Scheels, said in September that the sporting goods retailer had discussed the naming rights with NDSU. He said Monday the company had yet to be approached by NDSU with a presentation.

aces1180
12-03-2008, 01:36 PM
If you read the article it says the company wishes it NOT to be public. Its needs to left unknown and hope they can make it happen.

It also states that the Forum contacted Scheels, and were advised that they have not been contacted.

What's wrong with guessing who it is? I'm no insider and I know that many on here are not as well.

aces1180
12-03-2008, 01:36 PM
E.A. Schultz Construction, LLC???

;)

Haha...He got the plug for them on Fox News before walking off the set.

Bison bison
12-03-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm not so sure.

Otter Tail's stock is down, not sure their shareholders would be interested.

Also what value is there to DMI? it's not like they are making a consumer product. You think some wind farm developer in Oklahoma is going to pick them over Trinity because of the name of an arena in Fargo?

roper1313
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm not so sure.

Also what value is there to DMI? it's not like they are making a consumer product. You think some wind farm developer in Oklahoma is going to pick them over Trinity because of the name of an arena in Fargo?

I agree. DMI's business is so cyclical, and really depends on the US energy policies. Not to drag this into a political discussion, but my guess is that the new administration will be more focused on alternative energy so hopefully DMI can see some stability in the near future.

If anyone in the Otter Tail group was going to buy the naming right it would be Otter Tail Power, they are the only subsidiary in the "retail" market. I agree with NDB2 I would be very surprised if Otter Tail was the company.

Let the speculating begin! Again!

McBison
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Goldmark Schlossman...their name is on everything else in town.

[QUOTE=NDB2;235243]Also what value is there to DMI? it's not like they are making a consumer product.QUOTE]

Newman Outdoor Field? Granted I know they sell smaller signs too, but...

imabison
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
What's wrong with guessing who it is? I'm no insider and I know that many on here are not as well.
Well, knowing what goes on alot times on this board, I was just hoping that people are not calling businesses to ask them.

Just meant wait and see is the best on this situation.

gotts
12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't know if it's been discussed already, but wouldn't a private entity need to front their portion of the funding, rather than pay through a 30 year sponsorship deal?

aces1180
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm not so sure.

That's a good point.

bisonmike2
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
It's Chubs. Mark it down. And to pay for the $15 million there will be no more $.75 draws. In fact the specials will be as follows

Mon - $300 jag bombs
Tues - $750 draws
Wed - Ladies drink free (ltd - 2 ladies allowed into Chubs all day, total)
Thur - 2 for onesthousand's
Fri- $1000 pitchers

Also, popcorn will no longer be free ($100/bowl).
And there is a cover charge to get in. Students -$500, Everyone else $750.

SDbison
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
So why would NDSU not have made a presentation to Scheels yet? That doesn't make any sense. Even if the other entity needs to have first dibs at least get the presentations done to the top 5 candidates. At this rate it will take 2 years to get the naming rights done. 30 days to decide.......mmmmm....if you were interested in the past and knew it was a 15 million dollar commitment then, as is now, what has changed?
Can NDSU at least get the presentation done with Scheels during the next 30 days?

roadwarrior
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I would venture to guess that Steve Scheel knows exactly whats going on with this project.

duluthbison
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe it is scheels and this is just trying to throw us off.:D :D

Because Scheels is one of the few businesses in the FM area that I could see being able to afford the 15 million dollar price tag.

*Ya I know its a long-shot, but Scheels center has a nice ring, doesn't it??:nod:

BisBison
12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I would have to agree with Road on this. Plus has anyone thought that maybe this this would go down in several pieces? The "Wells Fargo Arena", "Scheels AllSports Ticket Lobby", "Stop N GO Concessions", "US Bank Locker Complex". Just a thought. $15MM is a lot to expect from any one donor.

bisonmike2
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I would have to agree with Road on this. Plus has anyone thought that maybe this this would go down in several pieces? The "Wells Fargo Arena", "Scheels AllSports Ticket Lobby", "Stop N GO Concessions", "US Bank Locker Complex". Just a thought. $15MM is a lot to expect from any one donor.

Not a chance Well's Fargo. They are way to cheap to spend any moneyn in the F/M market. I hope they don't go nuts with the naming.

US Bank presents NDSU Bison Basketball @ Stop N Go Court inside the Scheel AllSports Arena. <in a quick and pointed tone> Wells Fargo!

imabison
12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Many indications are that it will be more than 1 sponsorship to cover the cost of the $ 15 Million.

I still say donate the money, and let the students name the facility.

BisBison
12-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I wasn't suggesting that Wells Fargo or any other business I mentioned was actually going to be the ones, only that it in all likelihood there will be several. And as to letting the students name it. Well in a perfect world maybe, but if a business spends their $$$ they need to see a return in the form of marketing. (Think "Gate City Theatre in the Fargo Dome" for instance)

lcbison
12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Kum N Go Arena, o shoot the Metrodome got rights to that one

Juanos Arena, just so they are in the concessions...mmmm....Juanos Buritos

99Bison
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I am guessing this first shot is a single sponsor. If that one doesn't work out, then they will proceed to a gather group of sponsors which may include the possible single.

aces1180
12-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Haha...Funny stuff.

bisonmike2
12-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Maybe we could go for the Pump N Munch or even the Pump N Pak Arena.

Does everyone think these gas station names sound dirty or is it just me.

Bison"FANatic"
12-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Isn't that the "KUM with someone else N GO home with the one that brought you arena"

tjbison
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Maybe it is scheels and this is just trying to throw us off.:D :D

Because Scheels is one of the few businesses in the FM area that I could see being able to afford the 15 million dollar price tag.

*Ya I know its a long-shot, but Scheels center has a nice ring, doesn't it??:nod:

There are way more than a few that can afford it, economy was booming for years lots of companies made BIG money and would like to have their name on a building!! I have a few hunches

99Bison
12-04-2008, 12:53 AM
There are way more than a few that can afford it, economy was booming for years lots of companies made BIG money and would like to have their name on a building!! I have a few hunches

Indeed, many more possibilities that most would think.

tony
12-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Just to quell the rampant rumors, the new arena will not be named The Bisonville.com Center.... because that doesn't sound very good :)

UTH
12-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Just to quell the rampant rumors, the new arena will not be named The Bisonville.com Center.... because that doesn't sound very good :)

Just Bisonville alone should do.

TheDoctor
12-04-2008, 04:30 AM
I am guessing this first shot is a single sponsor. If that one doesn't work out, then they will proceed to a gather group of sponsors which may include the possible single.

I see. So what is your decison going to be? I think Bison Illustrated Arena rolls off the tongue nicely. Just my two cents if thats the week long deciding factor your waiting on. :rofl: ;)

Thunder_Struck
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
So why would NDSU not have made a presentation to Scheels yet? That doesn't make any sense. Even if the other entity needs to have first dibs at least get the presentations done to the top 5 candidates. At this rate it will take 2 years to get the naming rights done. 30 days to decide.......mmmmm....if you were interested in the past and knew it was a 15 million dollar commitment then, as is now, what has changed?
Can NDSU at least get the presentation done with Scheels during the next 30 days?

I think we have Erv's replacement. Can't believe how easy raising 15 Mil is for you.

roper1313
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Isn't that the "KUM with someone else N GO home with the one that brought you arena"

That only happens in the metrodome ;)

SDbison
12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I think we have Erv's replacement. Can't believe how easy raising 15 Mil is for you.
Maybe I should.....I currently manage projects that have potential impact in the millions so why not. Don't understand why the logistics of this effort gets so bogged down......but government related stuff always seems to take longer as there is little or no motivation to get things moving.

Can't wait for the new guys in Washington to make goverment even bigger!

99Bison
12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I see. So what is your decison going to be? I think Bison Illustrated Arena rolls off the tongue nicely. Just my two cents if thats the week long deciding factor your waiting on. :rofl: ;)

Yeah it's a tough one, 15m here or there... hmm.

56BISON73
12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

The Krause family owns Kum and Go and they are from Iowa. There is the Krause Plaza at the south end of Kinnick Stadium.
PL

bisonmike2
12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
The Krause family owns Kum and Go and they are from Iowa. There is the Krause Plaza at the south end of Kinnick Stadium.
PL

The more important question is do they know they spelled Kum wrong? :confused:

fargocyclone
12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe I should.....I currently manage projects that have potential impact in the millions so why not. Don't understand why the logistics of this effort gets so bogged down......but government related stuff always seems to take longer as there is little or no motivation to get things moving.

Can't wait for the new guys in Washington to make goverment even bigger!

Ooh, getting dangerously close to that "No politics" rule... :D

IzzyFlexion
12-05-2008, 02:21 AM
PL

http://tvadio.com/StreamsImages/beavis-de4bb123-a70d-435a-ad2e-3d062f84beec.jpg

Uhhhhh, Heh, Heh......Kum and Go..........Heh, heh.

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 02:25 AM
The more important question is do they know they spelled Kum wrong? :confused:

When you have as much money as they do you can spell your business anyway you want to. PL:D

GOB1SON
12-05-2008, 02:34 AM
I know it will never happen, but it would be nice if they would serve adult beverages at the basketball games.

Not the football games, tailgating takes care of that.

But it would sure be nice to settle into your seat with a cold brew to watch a basketball game.

I watched ORU in front of my computer with a couple of cold ones and it was pretty nice.

Once again, no need to let me know that it isn't going to happen. Just thought I would share.

gotts
12-05-2008, 03:11 AM
I know it will never happen, but it would be nice if they would serve adult beverages at the basketball games.

But it would sure be nice to settle into your seat with a cold brew to watch a basketball game.

I watched ORU in front of my computer with a couple of cold ones and it was pretty nice.

Once again, no need to let me know that it isn't going to happen. Just thought I would share.

We need it at the football games as well. I drink, drink, drink and my buzz is usually gone by halftime!

TbonZach
12-05-2008, 03:15 AM

I'll agree with that one. Even though I don't drink (well-over of age, just choose not to), I think beverages would bring an extra something to games.

duluthbison
12-05-2008, 05:29 AM
I'll agree with that one. Even though I don't drink (well-over of age, just choose not to), I think beverages would bring an extra something to games.

I completely agree, I understand that NDSU is a dry campus but the sport facilities are at the way north end of campus, I think they should make an amendment to the rule that allows drinking at the Dome and not just the west parking lot.

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 05:37 AM
We need it at the football games as well. I drink, drink, drink and my buzz is usually gone by halftime!

Re-read what you just posted. Now with that thought in mind Iam sure you can see why the anti ETOH crowd doesnt want to serve ETOH at the FFD. PL

GOB1SON
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM

That is why it will never happen.

Bison bison
12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
The answer is so easy. Charge $7.50 for a drink.

sambini
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I wonder who the name sponsor will be?

BisBison
12-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Good job sambini, RE-hijacking a thread:rofl:

gotts
12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
The dry-campus issue teaches very little about alcohol responsibility, mainly how it's approached, but that's another issue for another day.

Is NDSU a dry campus for increased funding from the state board of higher education?

I wonder what revenues would be like if sales were permitted at basketball, football, and baseball games...

bisonmike2
12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
When you have as much money as they do you can spell your business anyway you want to. PL:D

Sweet! Be on the look out for the "Jizz and Jet" franchise of gas stations to be opening soon.:)

56BISON73
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Sweet! Be on the look out for the "Jizz and Jet" franchise of gas stations to be opening soon.:)

Sounds more like a car wash.:D
PL

GOB1SON
12-07-2008, 06:09 AM

I wasn't "highjacking" the thread. The thread is about the arena, and not specific to the naming rights.

But if you want to return to "topic":

State Bank Arena (The Solbergs, which manage State Bank, are great friends of NDSU). But not likely.

Alien Arena, also known as "The Chip"!

Bobcat Court, in Alien Arena

Burghum Court in The Microsoft Great Plains Arena

The Forum at The Fargodome (in reference to Forum Communications)

US Bank Arena

Menards Forum at The Fargodome

Theraldson Arena. Theraldson's, based in Fargo, is the LARGEST hotel property owner in the USA!; (not sure if I phrased that correctly, but they own a ton of property and have a ton of money and like NDSU)

Vold Arena

I still would like a beer to be available to me upon the opening on this venue.

Bisonguy
12-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm guessing Gary would appreciate it more if it was Tharaldson Arena. :p

GOB1SON
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm guessing Gary would appreciate it more if it was Tharaldson Arena. :p

It was late. I was tired. Sorry. :)

tjbison
12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I wasn't "highjacking" the thread. The thread is about the arena, and not specific to the naming rights.

But if you want to return to "topic":

State Bank Arena (The Solbergs, which manage State Bank, are great friends of NDSU). But not likely.

Alien Arena, also known as "The Chip"!

Bobcat Court, in Alien Arena

Burghum Court in The Microsoft Great Plains Arena

The Forum at The Fargodome (in reference to Forum Communications)

US Bank Arena

Menards Forum at The Fargodome

Theraldson Arena. Theraldson's, based in Fargo, is the LARGEST hotel property owner in the USA!; (not sure if I phrased that correctly, but they own a ton of property and have a ton of money and like NDSU)

Vold Arena

I still would like a beer to be available to me upon the opening on this venue.

Not a chance on that one!! pretty hard to explain to the employees they are laying off that they have 15mill to spend on naming rights, plus their S.Korean parent company could care less about naming rights in Fargo!

Bisonguy
12-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Lovely letter to the editor today from someone wanting answers, but cannot look them up on his own- :banghead:

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/224290

- Why is this project essential now, especially considering current economic problems that are likely to stretch already limited state and federal resources for higher education?

Yeah, why would we want a project during an economic downturn that would provide jobs for hundreds of people to build this thing? Even worse would be having the arena built so it could actually be utilized and generate revenue when the economy is on the upswing. A much better idea would be to postpone it, so that construction costs will increase and we might be on the tail end of economic prosperity. :banghead: :banghead:

- Will you explain clearly the nebulous agreement as it now stands between the university, city administration, dome authority and evidently private individuals or entities that includes a financing scheme so tenuous that Fargo’s taxpayers will be at risk unless the project receives millions for naming rights?
Read any of the umpteen articles The Forum has run on the issue.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Not a chance on that one!! pretty hard to explain to the employees they are laying off that they have 15mill to spend on naming rights, plus their S.Korean parent company could care less about naming rights in Fargo!

To be honest the timing is terrible for just about any potential "naming donor" Stock prices are down, reports of impending recession. $15 million is a LOT of money for anyone to consider.

There is minimal economic impact for the donor outside alot of "goodwill"

Hammersmith
12-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, I seriously doubt we'll get all the money from a single donor. I'll bet it will be something like:

$7-8 million from a primary donor for the building naming rights(I'm still betting on Offutt/RDO)
$2-3 million for naming rights to the court(Scheels)
$1 million from a state or regional bank for concert/theatre naming(banks in our area weren't hit very hard by the mortgage crisis)
$1-2 million from the NDSU general budget
And the NDSU Development Foundation will pick up the rest through small donations

If the first element of funding can be secured soon, that will allow the city commission to release funds for detailed architectural plans(the next step). With NDSU's direct contributions, another $7-8 million would bring the total raised to about two thirds of the amount needed for NDSU's share. The remaining third can be raised between final planning and groundbreaking. Personally, I like the sound of Scheels Court at Offutt Arena.

Now, if the City Commission releases the naming rights for the entire Fargodome, then I could see $10 million or more from the primary donor. However, I think the Commission will try to avoid that if possible.

I also think the half the money will come in the form of bonds backed by corporate contracts. For example, say Scheels commits to $2 million over 10 years. That commitment is put into writing and used to secure a $2 million bond. Maybe a bank can pay for its naming rights by issuing the bond and eating the interest costs. If not, maybe NDSU or the DF would pay for the interest on the bond. In any case, the tax money in the escrow fund plus the primary naming rights would allow the initial bonds to be secured and construction to begin even if the necessary total funds hadn't quite been raised yet. Of course, I'm not a banker, accountant or lawyer, so maybe that was all a bunch of crap.

Bison bison
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
there is already a US Bank Arena in Cincinnati.

US Bank is actually doing well...

bisonmike2
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Lovely letter to the editor today from someone wanting answers, but cannot look them up on his own- :banghead:

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/224290

Yeah, why would we want a project during an economic downturn that would provide jobs for hundreds of people to build this thing? Even worse would be having the arena built so it could actually be utilized and generate revenue when the economy is on the upswing. A much better idea would be to postpone it, so that construction costs will increase and we might be on the tail end of economic prosperity. :banghead: :banghead:

Read any of the umpteen articles The Forum has run on the issue.

90% of people have an attention span of a cat and those same people lack the ability foresee past 2 weeks into the future. It's pointless to even try to explain your rationale to them; they just can't comprehend this. :banghead:

Gully
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, I seriously doubt we'll get all the money from a single donor. I'll bet it will be something like:

$7-8 million from a primary donor for the building naming rights(I'm still betting on Offutt/RDO)
$2-3 million for naming rights to the court(Scheels)
$1 million from a state or regional bank for concert/theatre naming(banks in our area weren't hit very hard by the mortgage crisis)
$1-2 million from the NDSU general budget
And the NDSU Development Foundation will pick up the rest through small donations

If the first element of funding can be secured soon, that will allow the city commission to release funds for detailed architectural plans(the next step). With NDSU's direct contributions, another $7-8 million would bring the total raised to about two thirds of the amount needed for NDSU's share. The remaining third can be raised between final planning and groundbreaking. Personally, I like the sound of Scheels Court at Offutt Arena.

Now, if the City Commission releases the naming rights for the entire Fargodome, then I could see $10 million or more from the primary donor. However, I think the Commission will try to avoid that if possible.

I also think the half the money will come in the form of bonds backed by corporate contracts. For example, say Scheels commits to $2 million over 10 years. That commitment is put into writing and used to secure a $2 million bond. Maybe a bank can pay for its naming rights by issuing the bond and eating the interest costs. If not, maybe NDSU or the DF would pay for the interest on the bond. In any case, the tax money in the escrow fund plus the primary naming rights would allow the initial bonds to be secured and construction to begin even if the necessary total funds hadn't quite been raised yet. Of course, I'm not a banker, accountant or lawyer, so maybe that was all a bunch of crap.

Thanks, that sounds logical.

I guess I didn't realize they weren't selling the rights to the whole Fargodome but that's what one of these posts implies. Why wouldn't they sell the rights to the whole building? Fargodome is silly anyway since it's not really a dome.

Go_Herd
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
90% of people have an attention span of a cat and those same people lack the ability foresee past 2 weeks into the future. It's pointless to even try to explain your rationale to them; they just can't comprehend this. :banghead:

Come again, I wasn't really paying attention. What are we even talking about? :)

What's happening in 2 weeks?

bisonmike2
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Come again, I wasn't really paying attention. What are we even talking about? :)

What's happening in 2 weeks?

I was just saying that people can't grasp the concept that building a new arena might actually have a long term benefit. All they see is the cost and can't comprehend the long term economic impact.

Go_Herd
12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I was just saying that people can't grasp the concept that building a new arena might actually have a long term benefit. All they see is the cost and can't comprehend the long term economic impact.

I know what your talking about.

Go_Herd's attempt at a joke = Major fail

Hammersmith
12-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks, that sounds logical.

I guess I didn't realize they weren't selling the rights to the whole Fargodome but that's what one of these posts implies. Why wouldn't they sell the rights to the whole building? Fargodome is silly anyway since it's not really a dome.

I think NDSU asked the FD Authority if they could sell the naming rights to the entire FD, but I don't think the FDA ever voted on it. Silly or not, the name is now deep in Fargo's consciousness and the response to a re-badging would probably be lukewarm at best. Maybe in another 25 years the issue can come up when the FD needs a major rebuild, but I doubt it will happen this go around.

Hammersmith
12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Buried in this article is an interesting tidbit:

Dome Authority OKs 2-year contract with management firm (http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/224664)

The agreement is also a year shorter than past pacts because of uncertainty over how a proposed arena addition to the dome would be managed.

Since the new contract runs until Dec. 31, 2010, it looks like the Authority is expecting a late winter 2010 opening for the arena. If this is true, next season might be the final full season in the BSA.

*of course, they may also want the next contract in place before the opening, which would push it back to 2011

**as always, the arena depends on NDSU finding the money

Kermit
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Mike McFeely column from the Forum, "Donor Search Stalls":
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=227070&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said Tuesday the economic meltdown has cooled the interest of prospective donors to the point that it might be time to shelve the effort until things turn around.

bisonmike2
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Mike McFeely column from the Forum, "Donor Search Stalls":
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=227070&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

Don't worry guys. When I win the 105 million dollar powerball tonight I'll donate 15 million to NDSU. :)

sambini
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Don't worry guys. When I win the 105 million dollar powerball tonight I'll donate 15 million to NDSU. :)
That would be nice+++

Herd
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Now its a 5000 seat arena plan? Are you kidding me, is this true, or is this just McF's lack of detail understanding in the story?

This stall is a shame. Do you think that an NCAA berth would get that doner to step back up if the economy stablizes a little by mid-2009? I think our team's possible success this year could build that momentum.

roadwarrior
01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Now its a 5000 seat arena plan? Are you kidding me, is this true, or is this just McF's lack of detail understanding in the story?

Not true. McF's lack of details.

99Bison
01-08-2009, 02:24 AM
This stall is a shame. Do you think that an NCAA berth would get that doner to step back up if the economy stablizes a little by mid-2009? I think our team's possible success this year could build that momentum.

The pull quote by Kermit was exactly that... a partial. It says may, the whole write up has various points, that was just one, the last one mind you.

TransAmBison
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I heard that Bison Illustrated was thinking about throwing their name in the ring? Can anybody confirm? :D

roadwarrior
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
No winner in powerball wednesday night, lets get a winner this saturday.

sambini
01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Road I'll buy one+++

bisonaudit
01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
After taking the lump sum making the donation and paying the tax...

(($105 / 2) - $15 ) / 2 = $18.75

There's barely enough left to pay the lawyer and the accountant. :)

bisonmike2
01-08-2009, 04:54 PM
After taking the lump some making the donation and paying the tax...

(($105 / 2) - $15 ) / 2 = $18.75

There's barely enough left to pay the lawyer and the accountant. :)

Well that just completely blows my plans out of the water. I've got kids to feed. :hungry:

duluthbison
01-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Whats the latest word on the new stadium? I thought that back in december, someone was interested and we would know with in a month.

TheDoctor
01-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Whats the latest word on the new stadium? I thought that back in december, someone was interested and we would know with in a month.

Basically they said no because of the economy. So, Gene told McFeeley that the plans are on ice for now. They were going to discuss approaching multiple partners, but as far as a sigle donor, it's on ice at the moment because of the economy. He said it's unfortunate that the economy turned, or this would have been a done deal. ;)

Gully
01-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I was thinking this might happen when the economy really started turning bad. I think this will get done at some point but it might not be for a year or more.

duluthbison
01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Basically they said no because of the economy. So, Gene told McFeeley that the plans are on ice for now. They were going to discuss approaching multiple partners, but as far as a sigle donor, it's on ice at the moment because of the economy. He said it's unfortunate that the economy turned, or this would have been a done deal. ;)

But they still won't say who was originally interested, huh?

This really blows then, I was kinda hoping that we would have a new stadium to go to game in by time I graduated, but it doesn't look like that will happen now.

TheDoctor
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
But they still won't say who was originally interested, huh?

This really blows then, I was kinda hoping that we would have a new stadium to go to game in by time I graduated, but it doesn't look like that will happen now.

I am assuming Gene is hoping that if the economy turns around in the next year or so that they would change their minds. They wanted too, but decided they couldn't afford to. Therefore, he doesn't want them being "the business that turned us down" until then or they may never come through after being treated that way. Just my guess ofcourse. ;)

duluthbison
01-19-2009, 02:44 AM
I am assuming Gene is hoping that if the economy turns around in the next year or so that they would change their minds. They wanted too, but decided they couldn't afford to. Therefore, he doesn't want them being "the business that turned us down" until then or they may never come through after being treated that way. Just my guess ofcourse. ;)

Ya, thanks! It makes perfect sense.

But cant help my curiosity on which business was thinking about it.:D

56BISON73
01-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Ya, thanks! It makes perfect sense.

But cant help my curiosity on which business was thinking about it.:D

I heard from an inside source the business was
"Lakes its Raining Bitches" escort service.:D
PL

duluthbison
01-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Didn't you mean this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwyjmSbJPs

roper1313
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Saw in the forum today that the escrow account for maintance took a $4 million dollar hit this past year. I know this has already been addressed by the Dome Authority, but why was this money in the market. IMO an escrow account should be invested in low risk securities (i.e. treasury's).

Major blow to the arena project. It will take a long time to make up that kind of money. Que a Mike Williams quote.

"blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, NDSU athletics is a drain on our city, blah, blah, what value does the campus bring the the fm community, blah, blah, blay, go sioux!!, oops, blah, blah, blah."

99Bison
01-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Saw in the forum today that the escrow account for maintance took a $4 million dollar hit this past year. I know this has already been addressed by the Dome Authority, but why was this money in the market. IMO an escrow account should be invested in low risk securities (i.e. treasury's).

Major blow to the arena project. It will take a long time to make up that kind of money. Que a Mike Williams quote.

"blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, NDSU athletics is a drain on our city, blah, blah, what value does the campus bring the the fm community, blah, blah, blay, go sioux!!, oops, blah, blah, blah."

It probably was a safe investment, only lost 10% or so, that's pretty good :-)

Bison Dan
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Actually as much as I disagree with Williams he is a NDSU fan and goes to the games. He's just confused some of the time...

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Actually as much as I disagree with Williams he is a NDSU fan and goes to the games. He's just confused some of the time...

Most of the time

TheDoctor
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Most of the time

99.9% of the time. ;)