PDA

View Full Version : Heard a nasty rumor today...

WestDakotaBison
11-20-2007, 03:40 AM
from an incredibly reliable source, that offers have already been brought to the table for coach Bohl. Source says it will be very easy for those who have come to the table to get what they are after. Several "buy outs" of coach's contract have been offered and those at the table, NDSU can not compete with. Source also says more "major" offers are expected.

Understand that this is a rumor but again from a source that I would not question. Hopefully NDSU ponies up with a new contract offer and the let down at the end of the season is enough motivation to keep Bohl for a solid playoff run next year. Go Bison!

SlickVic
11-20-2007, 03:44 AM
yeah i heard a pretty nasty rumor the other day that in mcfeeleys saturday sports column he was talking about charlie wiess getting bought out for bohl...if that's true mcfeeleys a moron

Thundering_Herd
11-20-2007, 03:45 AM
Mmmm, that would be disappointing. I guess which ever Big-12 or Pac-10 team he goes to will instantly become my 2nd favorite CFB team. But let's just hope he coaches in the Gateway for 1-2 seasons!

SirHinn
11-20-2007, 03:48 AM
from an incredibly reliable source, that offers have already been brought to the table for coach Bohl. Source says it will be very easy for those who have come to the table to get what they are after. Several "buy outs" of coach's contract have been offered and those at the table, NDSU can not compete with. Source also says more "major" offers are expected.

Understand that this is a rumor but again from a source that I would not question. Hopefully NDSU ponies up with a new contract offer and the let down at the end of the season is enough motivation to keep Bohl for a solid playoff run next year. Go Bison!

Of course bigger programs are going to come after Craig Bohl. With what he's done with the program the past 3 years, it should be expected especially with Bohl's credentials. The bigger question is what "major" classifies as. If it's a MAJOR BCS conference, then one would have to expect Coach Bohl to take it. I for one believe though if it weren't a major conference, it wouldn't be no brainer decision.

WestDakotaBison
11-20-2007, 03:54 AM
I apologize, I didn't press for details. Source is a great customer of mine with high-profile ties to NDSU Athletics. I always take whatever information I can get without getting pushy. Definately made it sound as if there was already 1 or more offers from major D1-A schools and more were expected after bowl games.

HerdBot
11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Of course bigger programs are going to come after Craig Bohl. With what he's done with the program the past 3 years, it should be expected especially with Bohl's credentials. The bigger question is what "major" classifies as. If it's a MAJOR BCS conference, then one would have to expect Coach Bohl to take it. I for one believe though if it weren't a major conference, it wouldn't be no brainer decision.

If he takes a job at a Big Ten school or some place that is big time I won't feel bad. But if he goes to some crappy BCS team I will be pissed. You can lose your coach in basketball but football is another story.

Shawn-O
11-20-2007, 04:00 AM
I apologize, I didn't press for details. Source is a great customer of mine with high-profile ties to NDSU Athletics. I always take whatever information I can get without getting pushy. Definately made it sound as if there was already 1 or more offers from major D1-A schools and more were expected after bowl games.

The only openings are at Baylor, Michigan, and SMU right now. Baylor or SMU might be a fit.

Thundering_Herd
11-20-2007, 04:04 AM
I believe Texas A&M is also open, or will be soon. Washington State was also rumored on another post.

WestDakotaBison
11-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Is it possible a program may intend on firing a coach during/after bowl season and is trying to lock up a prospect beforehand?

BlueBisonRock
11-20-2007, 04:05 AM
We should expect many rumors like this. And, we should expect that the rumors are based on fact - genuine offers.

We should also expect that Coach Bohl will make decisions on these offers just like any of us would do IF we were offered a different position.

56 stated earlier: “For coaches that havent made their mark or havent been there you are correct. But coach has already been there. Wis and Neb. he knows the pit falls of taking the wrong job for the wrong reasons and the wrong job for the perceived right reasons”.

Coach will leave – but only if it is the right job.

Lets have fun with the rumors, but not get to excited as the wrong opportunities surface.

WestDakotaBison
11-20-2007, 04:16 AM
We should expect many rumors like this. And, we should expect that the rumors are based on fact - genuine offers.

We should also expect that Coach Bohl will make decisions on these offers just like any of us would do IF we were offered a different position.

56 stated earlier: “For coaches that havent made their mark or havent been there you are correct. But coach has already been there. Wis and Neb. he knows the pit falls of taking the wrong job for the wrong reasons and the wrong job for the perceived right reasons”.

Coach will leave – but only if it is the right job.

Lets have fun with the rumors, but not get to excited as the wrong opportunities surface.

Correct, rumors will be plenty. However, I felt this one had some merit considering the source and felt it was my civil duty to share. As you can see I'm new to Bisonville and am simply trying to do my share to make this world a better place by spreading Bison pride. By no means am a self-proclaimed insider but do deal with tons and tons of people with my line of work and every now and again stumble across someone who lets a little too much slip. So I'll do my best to accurately relay this information to the wonderful people of Bisonville.

JackJD
11-20-2007, 04:19 AM

That's the kind of compliment Coach Bohl and your program has earned. When you played as the Bison have played for the past two seasons in particular, you must expect not only rumors but I'm sure there's substance to those stories. Fortunately, the infrastructure is in place that if you lose Bohl, you'll be able to attract the next up-and-coming star. That infrastructure is something SDSU has to work on.

BlueBisonRock
11-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Correct, rumors will be plenty. However, I felt this one had some merit considering the source and felt it was my civil duty to share. As you can see I'm new to Bisonville and am simply trying to do my share to make this world a better place by spreading Bison pride. By no means am a self-proclaimed insider but do deal with tons and tons of people with my line of work and every now and again stumble across someone who lets a little too much slip. So I'll do my best to accurately relay this information to the wonderful people of Bisonville.

Hey, You are just having a good time like everyone else. And, sometimes these rumors have an ugly element of truth. Thanks for the info!

Thundering_Herd
11-20-2007, 04:29 AM
That's the kind of compliment Coach Bohl and your program has earned. When you played as the Bison have played for the past two seasons in particular, you must expect not only rumors but I'm sure there's substance to those stories. Fortunately, the infrastructure is in place that if you lose Bohl, you'll be able to attract the next up-and-coming star. That infrastructure is something SDSU has to work on.

Coach P. Perles will be a great head coach some day.

Coach Bohl and S. Walker with the Vikings next season??? Their two positions they need the most right now!!! ;-)

CaBisonFan
11-20-2007, 04:41 AM
I believe Texas A&M is also open, or will be soon. Washington State was also rumored on another post.

Washington State would be a huge mistake for Bohl. There is no way that I would want to compete in the Pac-10 against the LA schools, ASU, Oregon, CAL, etc. No way. I hope...for his sake...that he wouldn't go there.

I went to ASU for grad. school and now live in the LA area. Washington State is like the Morningside of the Pac-10. It's way, way out east in agricultural Washington state. Way too far away from the population areas. They're in the wrong conference. They're more like a WAC school.

If he goes there...then he's not as intelligent as I thought. You cannot draw consistent talent to Pullman. These city kids want no part of rural America unless they have no other options. They'd rather go to the WAC or the Big 12 than to Pullman.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2007, 04:47 AM

I think that Bohl is gone. The million+ contract and a move to a BCS eligible school will be too much to turn down. For his sake, I hope that he's smart about which one.

If these guys go...we 'will' move on without them. Either way...we will challenge for the Gateway title next year. Might not win it...but we'll be in the thick of it.

fightinbison
11-20-2007, 05:03 AM
If Coach Bohl does leave....?

Does Dale Lennon replace him....?

With as messed up as things are at UND, if they do not hire the right President....?, hire the right Athletic Director...?, If he does not get the support he needs...?
Does Coach Lennon say the hell with it at UND and Coach at NDSU.....?

Shawn-O
11-20-2007, 05:14 AM
I think that Bohl is gone. The million+ contract and a move to a BCS eligible school will be too much to turn down. For his sake, I hope that he's smart about which one.

If these guys go...we 'will' move on without them. Either way...we will challenge for the Gateway title next year. Might not win it...but we'll be in the thick of it.

Did Bohl and this guy ever cross paths? http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1212241

In his more than 20-year career in intercollegiate athletics, Long has served as an athletics administrator at the University of Oklahoma, Eastern Kentucky University, Virginia Tech University and the University of Michigan. He also has held coaching and administrative positions at Rice University, Duke University and North Carolina State University.

These were football coaching positions, I believe. Houston Nutt will be gone...to either Baylor or Nebraska. I'm either on something or onto something.

BlueBisonRock
11-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Coach Bohl and S. Walker with the Vikings next season??? Their two positions they need the most right now!!! ;-)

The Vikings brain trust is too ignorant to offer a position to Bohl or draft / offer Walker. Even though these actions would be in the Vikings best interests!

ndsubison1
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Just to generate some discussion, if Bohl leaves, I hope he doesnt, but if/when he leaves who should we take... some assistant? Dale Lennon? I am interested in hearing some names...

Bisonfan1
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
What I am extremely worried about is if Coach Bohl does leave, how many of the coaching staff goes with him ? Most all, if not all of NDSU assistant coaches could be head coaches somewhere. Did'nt Solomson take everyone with him when he left NDSU? thought I heard or read that somewhere.

WePharm
11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Lennon would never go to NDSU. Way to many ties to und. He would piss off every one he has worked with for the last 15 years. Ain't gonna happen. But he would be a good candidate for a move up.

tony
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Meh. Every year it's either one of two things, either a bunch of people want the current coach fired or a bunch of people are worried sick the coach is going to get hired away.

You know how many threads there were last year just like this one? Hint: More than five, less than 10,000 (slightly less).

I'm not saying that Bohl won't get offers and he'd definitely take the right one - just that if there isn't anything new, I don't see the point.

WYOBISONMAN
11-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I suspect that Bohl will be such a hot commodity that he will bail for a million dollar job elsewhere. And who could blame him for such a move. If it happens, I say thanks and the best of luck to him!

X-Factor
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
why wouldn't he turn down the offers and wait for the offers next year which could possibly be much better? He KNOWS he is going to have a GREAT team next year, so why not let the playoffs ride out and see what kind of attention he can get when the Bison are more on the national scene. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm not coach.

tcbison
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
I wonder how many offers Jim Tressel turned down before he got offered the Ohio State job. I believe Jim was at Youngstown State for 15 years and won 4 national championships before moving to Ohio State.

tcbison
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
In this article http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/184046 Gene Taylor expects Coach Bohl to be back. I hope Gene is right!

Quote:
“It’s something you deal with but I’m confident he’ll be here next year,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said. “Unless something changes, I see no reason to worry about it.”
Taylor said he’s concerned about what effect Bohl’s job talk will have on recruiting. He said as more jobs become open in the next few weeks, Bohl’s name will probably get “tossed around.”
“I think it’s really something he doesn’t look forward to and wishes it wouldn’t happen,” Taylor said. “We’ll have to battle through that recruiting cycle.”

Hambone
11-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I wonder how many offers Jim Tressel turned down before he got offered the Ohio State job. I believe Jim was at Youngstown State for 15 years and won 4 national championships before moving to Ohio State.

Very good point. I would think Bohl will stay for at least another year, but I wouldn't blame him if something he sees as a great fit comes up either.

IL_Bison
11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
If Coach Bohl does leave....?

Does Dale Lennon replace him....?

With as messed up as things are at UND, if they do not hire the right President....?, hire the right Athletic Director...?, If he does not get the support he needs...?
Does Coach Lennon say the hell with it at UND and Coach at NDSU.....?

I've always been curious about the circumstances that led to Casey Bradley going to the NFL. I wonder if it was suggested that he gain more perspective and experience outside the Bison program with the hopes of coming back as head coach? I know, very speculative, but I've always wondered about Casey's long-term goals.

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
The one thing I've worried about is how all the rumours will affect recruiting. Other top D-1AA programs have to deal with this same problem right?

Gully
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I've always been curious about the circumstances that led to Casey Bradley going to the NFL. I wonder if it was suggested that he gain more perspective and experience outside the Bison program with the hopes of coming back as head coach? I know, very speculative, but I've always wondered about Casey's long-term goals.

Very interesting thought. I'm sure he would be a candidate if Bohl leaves and if he's interested.

bisonhusker
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Casey was contacted in regards to Willie Mack and his knowledge of the Tampa Two Defense. In speaking with Casey, they realized he in fact was the DC and Tampa asked Bohl to talk to Casey about the job in Tampa. Obviously he interviewed well, and took the job. He is now their linebackers coach, up from quality control the year before. His experience is priceless. It will now be interesting to see if he loves the NFL or he if he wants to come back to NDSU? He has Todd Wash down there with him too. If Gruden were to leave, that may put them both in a bad situation. You never know, the coaching industry is very difficult. Best of luck to all of them.

ndsubison1
11-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I suspect that Bohl will be such a hot commodity that he will bail for a million dollar job elsewhere. And who could blame him for such a move. If it happens, I say thanks and the best of luck to him!

Do you really think Bohl would get offered a million dollar job? Bob Stoops doesn't even get payed that much and only about 2 coaches in the NCAA get payed more then a million (Urban Meyer and Nick Saban)

56BISON73
11-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Do you really think Bohl would get offered a million dollar job? Bob Stoops doesn't even get payed that much and only about 2 coaches in the NCAA get payed more then a million (Urban Meyer and Nick Saban)

Kirk Ferentz is currently the highest paid state employee in Iowa, with an annual salary of 2.7 million dollars. According to the Des Moines Register state-salary database, Ferentz earned a total of $3,174,999.96 during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006.

There are more million dollar coaches out there than you think.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm
PL

BisonVifte
11-21-2007, 12:00 AM
It says in this article that at least 42 of the DI coaches earn a million in 2006 http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm

tcbison
11-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I would be surprised at this point if Bohl would get million dollar job.

However, if he takes a big job like this I hope that NDSU can play the team he goes to coach. Youngstown State has really benefitted from playing Ohio State the last couple of years.

56BISON73
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Average salary in D1 is $950,000.00. PL

ndsubison1
11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
I meant just salaries, Stoops earns 850,000 just on salary, I didn't mean special payments just the basic salary.

WYOBISONMAN
11-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Yes, I think Bohl could get a million.....total package and maybe even a million in salary. This is all about money..........big money.

bisoneer
11-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Hopefully coach Bohl has enough loyalty to stay, I have confidence that he will stay and lead us to a championship in the next 2 years.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 04:06 AM
It says in this article that at least 42 of the DI coaches earn a million in 2006 http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm

Not many coaches have a base over 1 million. Saban, Weiss, and Carol make over 3 million but they come from another planet. Brewster is paid 1 million but your talking about a Big Ten school. Lower end D1A schools get paid anywhere from $150 to 500k.

Bohl has a base of (I think) $150k but he's probably pushing a quarter million with the "Craig Bohl Football Show", "The Dan Hammer Show", and the other show on WDAY. Plus he's a shoe in to hit performance bonuses. I'm sure a raise isn't out of the question. The guy makes a ton of cash no matter how you look at it.

onbison09
11-21-2007, 04:21 AM
My English teacher is an Aggie and one of her "wealthy friends" got the VIP newsletter. In there it already says Coach Fran is gone. Short of beating Texas 70-0 and winning a bowl game by the same score he's gone. BTW the guy with the newsletter knew 2 weeks beforehand that Coach Fran would be hired. Not saying that means anything for Bohl but he's done.

56BISON73
11-21-2007, 04:34 AM
My English teacher is an Aggie and one of her "wealthy friends" got the VIP newsletter. In there it already says Coach Fran is gone. Short of beating Texas 70-0 and winning a bowl game by the same score he's gone. BTW the guy with the newsletter knew 2 weeks beforehand that Coach Fran would be hired. Not saying that means anything for Bohl but he's done.

The vip newsletter was discontinued sometime ago. Plus his personal assistant who actually published the newletter isnt employed anymore. PL

WYOBISONMAN
11-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Hopefully coach Bohl has enough loyalty to stay, I have confidence that he will stay and lead us to a championship in the next 2 years.

It has nothing to do with loyalty, it has to do with making a smart career decision and maximizing compensation.

westriver bison
11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
It has nothing to do with loyalty, it has to do with making a smart career decision and maximizing compensation.

Will you please quit injecting reality into this emotional discussion? :innocent:

onbison09
11-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Screwed up on my post earlier. I guess it's just rumors that Tuberville (Auburn) will be the next coach. I think these threads are a little overblown. It's not like Coach is answering his phone every two seconds with another offer.

SlickVic
11-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Kirk Ferentz is currently the highest paid state employee in Iowa, with an annual salary of 2.7 million dollars. According to the Des Moines Register state-salary database, Ferentz earned a total of $3,174,999.96 during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006.

There are more million dollar coaches out there than you think.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm
PL

wow what a waste

BisonFB
11-22-2007, 03:38 AM
why wouldn't he turn down the offers and wait for the offers next year which could possibly be much better? He KNOWS he is going to have a GREAT team next year, so why not let the playoffs ride out and see what kind of attention he can get when the Bison are more on the national scene. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm not coach.

A bird in the hand...

extremerouge
11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
A bird in the hand...
I'm sorry for showing my ignorance, but what does A bird in the hand mean???

02Bison
11-22-2007, 01:14 PM

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Meaning

It's better to have a small actual advantage than the chance of a greater one.

BisonFB
11-22-2007, 02:36 PM

Why wouldn't Coach Bohl stay and wait for a better offer next year after having another great season, playoffs, another conference championship, national championship?

If he gets a great offer this year he will take it because he is a smart man...he knows that nothing is guaranteed, anything can happen in a year in college football. Look at how the SDSU game turned out, did anyone think that we would lose that? Look how pissed some of the Bison fans were. As if we hadn't just won the previous ten games, blah, blah, blah...

We aren't very deep, and do we expect to be very deep next year? Who really knows what next season will bring. We could have a bad season and everyone will blame Bohl and instead of the hero he is this year, the talk would switch to firing Bohl & finding a new coach for NDSU...Fans are fiesty, we want to win, and we go for the easy target when losing.

And then there will be no big offers elsewhere.

That's the bird in his hand, two in the bush is a gamble with his career.

extremerouge
11-22-2007, 04:02 PM
thanks for the explanation!