PDA

View Full Version : Not Excuses...It's Venting, Mourning, & Debriefing

CaBisonFan
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The Bison community is in a little bit of shock right now. As for myself, I need a few days, or possibly a week, to mentally come down from this whole thing.

We've been witness to something amazing over the past years. We've seen a limping D2 dynasty transform itself into an outstanding FCS program during a period of time when a post-season wasn't allowed. This...in my opinion...placed an enormous amount of emphasis on each and every regular-season game. During the so-called dynasty years of the 60s, 80s, and early 90s...those teams lost a few games during the regular season. Yet...they could still make the playoffs and peak toward a championship run.

This team was not allowed that luxury. So the team...and its fans...had to set different goals. For sure...winning the Great West was big...yet in the larger picture...the Great West really didn't have enough teams to make it as big a goal as it should have been.

So what became the real goal?

To win every game and to gain national prominence. Much of it was achieved...regardless of Saturday's outcome. The 2007 team had a golden opportunity to go 11-0 and to have one or two of the #1 rankings. It was achievable as of last week. We knew that the game in Brookings would be difficult. It would be an emotional contest in somewhat inclement weather (for a dome team), and a game where the Bison were going in limping. And based on what I saw...I believe that Tyler Roehl was injured 'before' the game.

Some uncharacteristic mistakes were made...much like the Cal Poly game. But we didn't have one more miracle left in the bag. I think that most of us knew it...but we wanted to believe that there was one left. I'm saddened by the fact that Steve Walker had to end his career with an interception. I'm sad for him...not me.

We should have won the game with the players that were able to play. And as in most close games...there were a few questionable calls. I'll point at the lost 12 seconds during SDSU's final series (clock kept running...hmmm) as one of those things. That's called a home-field advantage...I believe.

But my point is this:

This board is for venting. It is for analysis. It is here to share our common interest in the program. It is also...at this juncture...a place to mourn with some of the more intense Bison fans. I 'do not' view any of the posts as 'excuse making.'

I view it as an opportunity to get over what just happened. The whole season has been an intense, yet fun, experience. There's nothing wrong with a few days...or a week...of game analysis and discussion. Forgive some of us for pointing out some of our observations.

For me...I'll need about a week to be able to really look forward. The future is bright.

The brightest thing is that if/when we have another outstanding team...a few miscues during one regular season probably won't disrupt the team's chance to redeem itself in the playoffs. This team should have had that opportunity.

Me...I missed Majeski, Maresh, Dallas, Paschall, etc. It's not an excuse. We could have beaten the Jacks without them. I just 'missed' their presence on the field...and their 'gamer' attitude.

Finally...for any Jackrabbit visitors...you are certainly welcome here...and you've been tactful writers on bisonville...but I'm asking you to allow the Bison community to go through this process. The Jacks deserved to win. We didn't. End of story.

Just give us a little space for a few more days...please. We know that we played an outstanding Jackrabbit football team last Saturday...but we also know that the Bison didn't really show up...for a variety of reasons...including injuries to some of our 'gamers.' The team was emotionally and physically spent. The Jacks had something to do with that...we know.

Not excuses...but rather....facts, analysis, venting, raw emotions, and frustration over a very, very tough loss to swallow for this outstanding team.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Well Said Ca...I totally agree.

Would of been nice to see/have you in Brookings with us. Just curious being you watched it on the web..how was the viewing? was it slow was it up to speed etc?

Junior
11-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Pretty sad if it takes you a week to get over a football game. It's a game. Not like someone died.

Do you think if this loss came in the middle of the season the team would have spent a week wallowing in sorrow about the loss? The answer is no. I'm as disappointed as anyone but I would have supported this team just the same if they were 1-10.

Some people take this way to far. It's not like there is anything you can do to change the outcome. It's Monday, time to move on. There is a fine line between a fan and a fanatic.

Flame Suit On.

UTH
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Pretty sad if it takes you a week to get over a football game. It's a game. Not like someone died... Flame Suit On...

Give them a week, THEN make an issue. If it doesn't get worked out now, it will be in the backs of minds for a looooong time to come.

NDSUFREAK
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
great job ca....

wisconsinbisonfan
11-19-2007, 10:43 PM
It's Monday night and I am still thinking about it. I consider myself a fan and not a fanatic. But having this board to read sure makes me feel better.

bisonmike2
11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Losing sucks. But I would rather lose to SDSU now when the only thing on the line in an undefeated season and the marker. Fast forward a couple of years and we might be playing for a playoff spot or matching up in the playoffs. Those are the games I want us to win.

CaBisonFan
11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Pretty sad if it takes you a week to get over a football game. It's a game. Not like someone died.

Do you think if this loss came in the middle of the season the team would have spent a week wallowing in sorrow about the loss? The answer is no. I'm as disappointed as anyone but I would have supported this team just the same if they were 1-10.

Some people take this way to far. It's not like there is anything you can do to change the outcome. It's Monday, time to move on. There is a fine line between a fan and a fanatic.

Flame Suit On.

It wasn't just one game. It was the finale to a potential perfect season and a #1 ranking...and an uncharacteristic type of game by the Bison. Yes...it's just a game. Yes...I enjoy being a Bison fan. And I enjoy being a fanatic.

But a true fanatic would get over-involved with the program and try to get 'in' with the coaches & players. I do 'neither.'

No apologies.

I understand your point...but what I've written is how I feel.

CaBisonFan
11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Losing sucks. But I would rather lose to SDSU now when the only thing on the line in an undefeated season and the marker. Fast forward a couple of years and we might be playing for a playoff spot or matching up in the playoffs. Those are the games I want us to win.

I see your point...and as I wind down from this I will be looking forward to exactly what you are. The winding down has already kicked in.

bingo

onbison09
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
There have been 3,794 US soldiers killed in Iraq. IN NO WAY am I saying that you value the game over that. IN NO WAY am I saying you don't support the troops or something stupid. But its just something to put it in perspective but I totally understand your venting.

SlickVic
11-20-2007, 03:31 AM

Flame Suit On.

i beg to differ...personally i will be thinking of that game each and everyday until we get the jacks back at the dome in 2008...after the game i went on a little tackling spree on the jacks practice field and i probably tackled 15 dummys full force my body is still sore so don't even try to tell me i took it to far...it's just a game?? it's monday time to move on?? this is a rivalry game and it's south dakota state...SOUTH DAKOTA STATE...they had no buisness beating us and if i were bohl id have those football players reminded of this loss each and every day this entire off-season...that loss was a complete embaresment and a loss like this is what makes a rivalry...i can't wait until 08...any of you who whatched that HBO special on ohio state michigan should know what im talking about...the game when woody went for 2 and hung half a hundo on michigan...when the press asked him why he went for 2 woody replied "because they wouldn't let me go for 3"...the entire next year bo had the number 50 wrote on every single scout team players helmet...i dont think that following monday bo schembechler said time to move on...next year 1969 woodys greatest team ever was upset by bo's wolverines and that's what sparked the 10 year war...the people who were there and the players who played in that game on saturday not to mention walker mays safe and drago will never forget it...that's just the way it is and there's certainly nothing sad about it

56BISON73
11-20-2007, 04:55 AM
i beg to differ...personally i will be thinking of that game each and everyday until we get the jacks back at the dome in 2008...after the game i went on a little tackling spree on the jacks practice field and i probably tackled 15 dummys full force my body is still sore so don't even try to tell me i took it to far...it's just a game?? it's monday time to move on?? this is a rivalry game and it's south dakota state...SOUTH DAKOTA STATE...they had no buisness beating us and if i were bohl id have those football players reminded of this loss each and every day this entire off-season...that loss was a complete embaresment and a loss like this is what makes a rivalry...i can't wait until 08...any of you who whatched that HBO special on ohio state michigan should know what im talking about...the game when woody went for 2 and hung half a hundo on michigan...when the press asked him why he went for 2 woody replied "because they wouldn't let me go for 3"...the entire next year bo had the number 50 wrote on every single scout team players helmet...i dont think that following monday bo schembechler said time to move on...next year 1969 woodys greatest team ever was upset by bo's wolverines and that's what sparked the 10 year war...the people who were there and the players who played in that game on saturday not to mention walker mays safe and drago will never forget it...that's just the way it is and there's certainly nothing sad about it

Tell your creative writing class instructor that you need a tad more work. But you are getting better. :D PL

tony
11-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Tell your creative writing class instructor that you need a tad more work. But you are getting better. :D PL

First, I don't want you two mixing it up on the board again so as along as you are just kidding around, fine. :)

Second, slickvic is affecting a style so his creative writing instructor wouldn't have a problem with his post's construction. I like the theme of this one as well.

56BISON73
11-20-2007, 05:21 AM
First, I don't want you two mixing it up on the board again so as along as you are just kidding around, fine. :)

Second, slickvic is affecting a style so his creative writing instructor wouldn't have a problem with his post's construction. I like the theme of this one as well.

I like the theme as well. Post construction is much better and his communication skills have improved to the point that I dont need an interpreter to read his posts. Hes made monumental strides in that dept.:D But I think his instructor would advise not to mix fiction with Non-fiction.:D It breaks up the flow of the piece.
Other than that its nice to see that 6 years of college havent been wasted.:D :D :D :D PL

Gully
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I like the theme as well. Post construction is much better and his communication skills have improved to the point that I dont need an interpreter to read his posts. Hes made monumental strides in that dept.:D But I think his instructor would advise not to mix fiction with Non-fiction.:D It breaks up the flow of the piece.
Other than that its nice to see that 6 years of college havent been wasted.:D :D :D :D PL

Ah, college....the best 7 years of my life.:D :D :D

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-21-2007, 02:12 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I haven't been able to post on this board all season due to password problems so I feel I need to comment on Sat. loss.

We lost on Sat. because we were looking past SDSU and we were outcoached. Before everyone jumps all over me, let me clarify that I think coach Bohl is a great coach. But, last Sat. he was outcoached. It was readily apparant that the SDSU coaches studied film at litte more than we did. It wasn't just coincidence that the Jacks seemed to know our every move.

Furthermore I've notice two disturbing treads with the current coaching staff that I believe haven't been addressed.

1. TACKLING!!! I can't stress this enough. Our tackling sucks!!! I can't believe that at defensive player can get a scholarship to a D-1 school and he can't do anything better than lower his shoulder and hope the offensive player goes down. WRAP YOUR ARMS!!! If you can't do it then the coaches should find someone who can. This is basic junior high stuff and there should be excuses for poor tackling at this level.

2. SLOW STARTS. We always seem to start slow. I blame this on the coaches for not being able to properly motive our players. They need to light a fire under their butts. Some of our "miracle comebacks" probably wouldn't have been necessary if we had kicked butt from the beginning.

Again, I think Bohl is a great coach. But, he doesn't walk on water. There is always room for improvement.

56BISON73
11-21-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I haven't been able to post on this board all season due to password problems so I feel I need to comment on Sat. loss.

We lost on Sat. because we were looking past SDSU and we were outcoached. Before everyone jumps all over me, let me clarify that I think coach Bohl is a great coach. But, last Sat. he was outcoached. It was readily apparant that the SDSU coaches studied film at litte more than we did. It wasn't just coincidence that the Jacks seemed to know our every move.

Furthermore I've notice two disturbing treads with the current coaching staff that I believe haven't been addressed.

1. TACKLING!!! I can't stress this enough. Our tackling sucks!!! I can't believe that at defensive player can get a scholarship to a D-1 school and he can't do anything better than lower his shoulder and hope the offensive player goes down. WRAP YOUR ARMS!!! If you can't do it then the coaches should find someone who can. This is basic junior high stuff and there should be excuses for poor tackling at this level.

2. SLOW STARTS. We always seem to start slow. I blame this on the coaches for not being able to properly motive our players. They need to light a fire under their butts. Some of our "miracle comebacks" probably wouldn't have been necessary if we had kicked butt from the beginning.

Again, I think Bohl is a great coach. But, he doesn't walk on water. There is always room for improvement.

I have to disagree on the fact that we were looking past SDSU because there was Nothing after that game.
I will agree that we were out coached and out played. PL

CaBisonFan
11-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Although I didn't get as physical as you after the game...I was probably just as upset. This was a game for the #1 ranking. The Bison didn't play anywhere close to there abilities. With the exception of about 8 minutes at Cal Poly...they carried almost the same type of play over to the SDSU game.

They ended the season on a 'low.'

There 'were' some injuries that hurt a lot...but they should have won the game anyway. I'm pretty sure that the team would agree that they handed SDSU an early Christmas present. If they could explain it, I'm sure that they would. There's no way to put a sugar coating on it.

Do I blame them personally? Nope It's not so important that they've ruined my life. But something was missing during the last couple of games especially.

The Bison peaked at Minnesota...the Super Bowl, as many have called it. Something was missing after that.

To me...it looked like some of the players knew it at SDSU...and in a way, tried too hard. A couple of the fumbles looked like a runner that was trying too hard to make a big play out of a small one. The Shamen Washington fumble comes to mind. He was trying to make something happen...a big play. I can't blame him personally for that...because he was giving his all. But I think that the players sensed that they just didn't have things working...and then they got too tense to do their normal thing. And I agree that the players that are coming back will be waiting every day until the game next year to avenge this upset.

But now there's a new challenge. The Gateway title and a playoff run are the new goals. In a way...I think that it's healthier. Losing one game doesn't mean the end of the world. That's a lot of intensity to carry through an entire season. Oh yeah...I know...you play to win every game. But the 5-year purgatory placed an unusual slant, or intensity, on the regular season. This team deserved to be in the playoffs in 06 and 07. It wasn't fair to the players the past two years.

Because of the extreme desire to be #1 in the polls at the end of this season, each game became like a playoff game...and I believe that it eventually wore on the ability of the players to get their emotional game together...and then add the injuries to Majeski, Paschall, Dallas, Maresh, and probably others that were playing...and things just didn't feel the same.

I'll forgive these guys. We all need to.

But I agree with the main point of your article. This isn't going to be easy to forget about. It really hurts. I feel really bad for the seniors that have to live with this game as their last memory as a Bison player. I feel really bad for Steve Walker...with his last pass as a Bison being an interception under those circumstances. He deserved better.

I watched some of the shows about the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. I think that some of it is insane...as in not healthy. Woody Hayes, as great a motivator as he was, had a serious problem. He wasn't a good example for his players, or for the Ohio State fans. His comment about the 2-point play is a prime example of his problem. It was beyond stupid. It was nuts. He made football out to be more important than anything. That's a piece of insanity.

This will fade away with time. It has to. I love Bison football...but it's not going to ruin my life because they lost. Nor will it ruin the lives of the players. They got to play on an outstanding team. What about players that play for teams that hardly ever win? That would be worse.

90BISON
11-21-2007, 05:52 AM
Ah, college....the best 7 years of my life.:D :D :D

Holy crap, it only took you 7 years! You must have been in that accelerated/honors program.;)