PDA

View Full Version : Mertens Handed The Torch.

lakesbison
11-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Talked to Steve Walker, the man is a complete STAR!! he better get picked up by an NFL TEAM.

Nick Mertens (Minnesota AP Player of the year) the time is YOURS, Steve has handed the torch, Mr Walker is completely confident that Mertens will be the man to lead us to the 2008 TITLE.

Mcfeely's article today highlights my thoughts, and I truly believe that Mertens will surprise ALOT OF YOU !!!

Merten's HS info.. again, I've been on his bandwagon since signing day:

led EGF Minn to Championship and Semifinals.

Mr Football finalist, Minnesota, AP ALL-STATE
East Grand Forks went 31-4 during career ...
During three-year career, completed 291-of-528 passes for 5,243 yards, 59 TDs and 21 interceptions ...
Rushed for 1,846 yards and 45 TDs on 413 carries (4.47 ypc)

He knows how to get the ball in the end zone.

Very Smart kid, great guy to talk with, very intelligent.

NICK MERTENS.. YOUR THE MAN, 2008 CHAMPS MEET YOU AT MIDFIELD TO CELEBRATE!!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I totally agree with you!!!

Also talked to steve told him Vikings need a QB!!!! :)

Can we fast forward these 9 months so it could be the football opener???

CaBisonFan
11-19-2007, 07:04 PM
I totally agree with you!!!

Also talked to steve told him Vikings need a QB!!!! :)

Can we fast forward these 9 months so it could be the football opener???

How is Steve? Is he 'down,' or moving on? My guess would be 'moving on.'

I feel bad, for him, that an interception had to be his last play as a Bison.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
How is Steve? Is he 'down,' or moving on? My guess would be 'moving on.'

I feel bad, for him, that an interception had to be his last play as a Bison.

Steve is good we had a very entertaining Saturday night! All he could say to me was a few weeks before when I kept repeatedly asking him "why ndsu!" which I don't really remember. So, Steve is Steve and will just continue on being a great guy and highly missed Bison!

Also, told him I wish we could take his first year (3 games?) and throw them out so he'd have one more year and he agreed, he'd love to be in the bison uniform another year.

UTH
11-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Losing Steve to graduation will leave a huge question mark as we look forward to next season. As we begin to close the doors on Season 2007 and look forward, I would also like to welcome Nick Mertens as the now official Heir Apparent of the helm of NDSU's offense. Nick has the perfect resume for this position and I have great hopes that he will give the scoreboard exactly what it needs - time and again!

You have a lot of filling to do.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bigshoestofill.jpg
:nod: :nod: It will be exciting to watch you do it!:nod: :nod:

X-Factor
11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Steve is good we had a very entertaining Saturday night! All he could say to me was a few weeks before when I kept repeatedly asking him "why ndsu!" which I don't really remember. So, Steve is Steve and will just continue on being a great guy and highly missed Bison!

Also, told him I wish we could take his first year (3 games?) and throw them out so he'd have one more year and he agreed, he'd love to be in the bison uniform another year.

Steve started the last 3 games in '04. But he didn't play as a true freshman so it wouldn't have mattered. He was a redshirt freshman in '04. Redshirted '03.

HerdBot
11-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Mertens will be great! He's faster and has a stronger arm than Walker so he could really add a running dimention. And since the West Coast is so complicated, it's great he's got the opportunity to learn under the best and study the playbook for 3 years.

It seems like an impossible task to replace Walker right now. But think about it this way. When Benrim left, who did we replace him with? Chris Simdorn. That guys wasn't too bad!

Shawn-O
11-20-2007, 12:51 AM
I see another Tony Romo in Steve Walker. He will get a shot somewhere, I have a feeling.

tcbison
11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I see another Tony Romo in Steve Walker. He will get a shot somewhere, I have a feeling.

I hope you are right!

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Mertens couldn't step into a better situation. Solid o-line, stars at running back, reciever, and tight end 3 years experience in the system. Hopefully we can get our defense back on track so it can bail him out once in a while. I like our chances in 08.

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I should also add that he might not have to pass that much anyway. We will have a stacked running back crew. Do we have enough balls to go around? Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe, McNorton. We might be handing the ball off 40-45 times a game.

aces1180
11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I should also add that he might not have to pass that much anyway. We will have a stacked running back crew. Do we have enough balls to go around? Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe, McNorton. We might be handing the ball off 40-45 times a game.

I agree our backfield will be awesome, but the key is replacing those three starters on the offensive line.

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
We seem to lose starters on the o-line every year and each year they are replaced. Out of all the positions we need to replace/replenish o-line is the least of my worries. We really need to load up our defense so that if Mertens makes a mistake, he can fall back on them to bail him out.

Bison"FANatic"
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
We seem to lose starters on the o-line every year and each year they are replaced. Out of all the positions we need to replace/replenish o-line is the least of my worries. We really need to load up our defense so that if Mertens makes a mistake, he can fall back on them to bail him out.

Nate is going to be tough to replace. Walker did not have to worry about pressure from his back side. The left T position is so important and can get a QB quite jittery if he does not have confidence in that position. I hope we have the answer for the loss at that position.