PDA

View Full Version : We Beat Ourselves

Bison bison
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
j/k

a hard-earned win for a well-coached, talented football team.

there is no school i'd rather lose to.

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
j/k

a hard-earned win for a well-coached, talented football team.

there is no school i'd rather lose to.

Are you trying to stir the pot? :) SDSU is a great team and they deserved to win. I don't want to take anything away from them because I look like a whiner but we did beat ourselves and it was a bit flukey.

If SDSU had committed 3 turnovers, had a punt blocked, AND allowed a punt return for a TD they would have lost by 3 TD's! We almost won. You can committ 5 turnovers against bad teams like SFA and pull out a double figures win, but you can't do that against a great team like SDSU.

I'm not trying to take anything away from SDSU. I love playing them and I respect the hell out of them, but I'm 99.9% sure that if we played again tomorrow we would win. We could watch the Bison for another ten years and not see them get a punt blocked and allow a punt return for a TD happen in the same game. It just doesn't happen! It's part skill and part fluke/luck. In all fairness we've had our share of luck so we were due for some bad luck. Like Bud Grant said, "I'd rather be lucky than good."

I'm not trying to take anything away but I'm not going to say they are a better team just to be respectful because I know it's not true. There is a reason we had the longest winning streak in football, had lost 1 game in 2 years, and were ranked #1! The Jacks had 7 losses during that period while our only loss was to the Gophers. Why? It's because we're a better team! I'm not being arrogant. I'm stating the facts.

I will say this. There is no shame in losing to the Jacks. THey were good enough to beat us on that particular day. There was a buzz in the air and they were destined to win that game. It was a big game for us but it was the biggest game in Jacks history so they played some inspired football.

I hope everyone doesn't think I'm a jerk but this is what I believe. Maybe I'm a homer? :)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Personally I did not think either team really played good on offense or on defense...more smash mouth then anything and I agree the luck was there on the Special Teams a few small things that led into big plays for them. We didn't get the breaks.

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Personally I did not think either team really played good on offense or on defense...more smash mouth then anything and I agree the luck was there on the Special Teams a few small things that led into big plays for them. We didn't get the breaks.

And we had been getting breaks for 2 years so we were due for a loss.

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 01:10 AM
And why were there turn overs??? Were they FORCED turnovers????? Or just a mental mistakes?

We didnt beat ourselves. The Jacks BEAT us from play one. They were more physical from what I could tell. The Jacks took the Bison out of there game.

We beat our selves???? When you say that you are taking away from the Jacks victory.

The Jacks took advantage of turnovers. Thats what good teams do.

When other teams said that they beat themselves this year people here called them poor sports. PL

UTH
11-19-2007, 01:24 AM
And why were there turn overs??? Were they FORCED turnovers????? Or just a mental mistakes?

We didnt beat ourselves. The Jacks BEAT us from play one. They were more physical from what I could tell. The Jacks took the Bison out of there game.

We beat our selves???? When you say that you are taking away from the Jacks victory.

The Jacks took advantage of turnovers. Thats what good teams do.

When other teams said that they beat themselves this year people here called them poor sports. PL

Relax. The first post said, "j/k'. Here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=j%2Fk) is something that might be of help.

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Relax. The first post said, "j/k'. Here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=j%2Fk) is something that might be of help.

Hmmmm Had no idea what that was. I wonder if all the other posts were then in that vein??? PL

UTH
11-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Hmmmm Had no idea what that was. I wonder if all the other posts were then in that vein??? PL

Reading all the posts in this thread, I can't find anything that would be any less complimentary than you can expect. If this is the worst comments you see in the aftermath of a game like this, then things are going pretty well, IMHO.

:cheers:
Cheers.

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Reading all the posts in this thread, I can't find anything that would be any less complimentary than you can expect. If this is the worst comments you see in the aftermath of a game like this, then things are going pretty well, IMHO.

Cheers.

Ok I see your point. When I saw the "we beat ourselves" I thought , OH no here we go with the excuse(which I distain. could you tell LOL )
Guess I fell for it.:D PL

UTH
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Ok I see your point. When I saw the "we beat ourselves" I thought , OH no here we go with the excuse(which I distain. could you tell LOL )
Guess I fell for it.:D PL

Same reaction here until I saw the discreet little "j/k". If it was hidden better, it could have hooked quite a few, I'm sure. One of those "Walker's Out" threads. Hahahahaha, funny guy. :pan:

*always wanted to take out the frying pan, mr. thread starter

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 02:50 AM

I'm not kidding though! Seriously I believe everything I posted!

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm not kidding though! Seriously I believe everything I posted!

"""There was a buzz in the air and they were destined to win that game. It was a big game for us but it was the biggest game in Jacks history so they played some inspired football."""

You could interject the Bison into that statement in our game with MN. As a matter of fact that was almost word for word what some gopher fans said. :D PL

02Bison
11-19-2007, 03:07 AM
And we had been getting breaks for 2 years so we were due for a loss.

Excuses are like......you know the rest....

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 03:09 AM
"""There was a buzz in the air and they were destined to win that game. It was a big game for us but it was the biggest game in Jacks history so they played some inspired football."""

You could interject the Bison into that statement in our game with MN. As a matter of fact that was almost word for word what some gopher fans said. :D PL

That's true. It was our Supebowl. This was SDSU's Superbowl except it was in Brookings.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 03:41 AM
That's true. It was our Supebowl. This was SDSU's Superbowl except it was in Brookings.

Didn't know there was a superbowl in college football....:rofl:

Just kidding...

If you look at the Offense stats like first downs yards and such both teams were pretty much equal where you notice the differences is special teams where they returned one, blocked one, and recovered fumble on one.

SDbison
11-19-2007, 04:10 AM
As a fan (and probably a homer) I still believe NDSU is a better team. At this point NDSU should still beat the Jacks in 2 out of 3 games. So they rose to the occasion and for some reason (injuries, lack of stepping up, special team mistakes, some missed calls) the Bison did not play even close to their best game. No excuse, but this years Bison team should have won. I don't think I as a Bison fan have to heap praises on SDSU though. Smash mouth.......well I saw a bunch of hits by NDSU out there too......some of you act like SDSU took NDSU to the woodshed. As Bohl said they were opportunistic (translated NDSU gave SDSU some big chances to score easily). I would take Roehl any day to SDSU's prancing tailback. So what SDSU won a conference championship in a conference with 5 teams, the first in what 44 years.......might be 20 to3 0 more before they do it again. How many victories against Gateway competition did they have this year? I think they were 0-3. NDSU was 2-0. After this game the lovefest for SDSU is over.

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
SD or anybody
Give me a good explaination WHy the Bison SHOULD have won this game.
We are the better team doesnt make it.(even though we are) Use stats or some reasonable arguement.
Ive heard a bunch of excuses why we lost but nothing on why we should have won. Anyone??? PL

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 06:43 AM
SD or anybody
We are the better team doesnt make it.(even though we are) Use stats or some reasonable arguement.
Ive heard a bunch of excuses why we lost but nothing on why we should have won. Anyone??? PL

What's the difference between why or an excuse? :) It's because we beat ourselves. Roehl didn't protect the ball on his fumble. That's beating ourselves. Worst case we would have gotten a field goal which would have changed the complexion of the game. Shamen didn't fumble the opening kickoff of the 2nd half which was HUGE! That was a big time momentum changer and we gave them an easy field goal instead of us taking the lead. It's just too big of a play to overcome and it wasn't our fault since the refs suck. You could just feel the momentum. THen you got the fluke factor. While it's not scientific and it's part skill and part breakdown, the odds of a team getting a blocked punt and a punt return for a TD is so slim it's ridiculous. I've never seen it happen before. Getting a punt blocked is lack of execution on our end and in theory they should never happen. Throw in the injuries to 2 key starters for more excuses and there you have it! We should have won. I get your point. Like I said before you can make those mistakes against bad teams but not against SDSU.

jimmyjack
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Once again, I can't disagree here. NDSU is a better team overall. You've been at 63 scholarships longer. You've got an amazing tradition while we just won our first conference title since 1963. We're a building program, trying to get where you are. If we played three times, I think you're right: NDSU might win two.

Bison fans are going to have plenty to cheer about very soon (for example, your outstanding men's basketball team) and football season is not that far away.

SDSU is building something. We're good, but NDSU is great. We want to get there.

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Once again, I can't disagree here. NDSU is a better team overall. You've been at 63 scholarships longer. You've got an amazing tradition while we just won our first conference title since 1963. We're a building program, trying to get where you are. If we played three times, I think you're right: NDSU might win two.

Bison fans are going to have plenty to cheer about very soon (for example, your outstanding men's basketball team) and football season is not that far away.

SDSU is building something. We're good, but NDSU is great. We want to get there.

You guys were good enough to beat us an I tip my hat to you. I think your future looks bright. I think our future looks bright. Man, I can't wait until next year!!

BTW I'm getting a bit testy because I'm not used to seeing us lose so don't think I'm a jerk! The last loss to a D1AA team was to Southern Illinois in 2005. It's tough seeing it end. :)

borderbison
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
SD or anybody
56 -I think you just answered your own ? - because we are a better team. Is SDSU good, absolutely. They made some good plays but the results were more because of our breakdowns than their execution. Ex: Blocked punt & returned punt. I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from SDSU but trying to point out that our breakdowns were the reason we lost. We knew we'd have to win a dogfight going in but it wasn't our day.

Bison bison
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
They made some good plays but the results were more because of our breakdowns than their execution.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal

http://www.superflypresents.com/thebuzz/jan05/images/critic_anchorman.jpg

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
As a fan (and probably a homer) I still believe NDSU is a better team. At this point NDSU should still beat the Jacks in 2 out of 3 games. So they rose to the occasion and for some reason (injuries, lack of stepping up, special team mistakes, some missed calls) the Bison did not play even close to their best game. No excuse, but this years Bison team should have won. I don't think I as a Bison fan have to heap praises on SDSU though. Smash mouth.......well I saw a bunch of hits by NDSU out there too......some of you act like SDSU took NDSU to the woodshed. As Bohl said they were opportunistic (translated NDSU gave SDSU some big chances to score easily). I would take Roehl any day to SDSU's prancing tailback. So what SDSU won a conference championship in a conference with 5 teams, the first in what 44 years.......might be 20 to3 0 more before they do it again. How many victories against Gateway competition did they have this year? I think they were 0-3. NDSU was 2-0. After this game the lovefest for SDSU is over.

Prancing tailback...ask David Earl if he pranced over him on the 4th and 1 play?

I'll give you the fact that Roehl was dinged up halfway through the game but don't take away anything from Cory Koenig to boost your/his ego...he is a hell of a good back. So is Roehl, it's just that his tendency to not hold onto the football this year ended up costing you in the end. Koenig dominated the game stat wise versus Roehl, and came up with bigger plays than Roehl when their respected teams needed them. Although, I would say Roehl had to go against a better defensive front and linebacker group than Koenig did.

BTW, you can't say that SDSU is just "opportunstic" like you described above. Besides the fumble on the kickoff by Shamen, our team caused every other turnover and the blocked punt. It was hell of a hit by our Sophmore linebackers that made Roehl fumble, a big play by our true freshman DB to block the punt, and a great read (Walker admitted it) by our Senior DB to intercept the final pass. I would describe it as creating your own outcome, not taking something that was given to you.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM

Agreed. But I think each team wins on their homefield much like the rivalry has played out.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
56 -I think you just answered your own ? - because we are a better team. Is SDSU good, absolutely. They made some good plays but the results were more because of our breakdowns than their execution. Ex: Blocked punt & returned punt. I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from SDSU but trying to point out that our breakdowns were the reason we lost. We knew we'd have to win a dogfight going in but it wasn't our day.

Much like our breakdowns on a punt return and two end around gimmick plays cost us the game last year in Fargo...

Mr. Burgundy
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Tyler Roehl can barely walk today. To call him dinged up would be an understatement. He is the class of the conference at running back and played tough through a painful injury in the 2nd half. Again, we had limited options all over the field due to injuries.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Tyler Roehl can barely walk today. To call him dinged up would be an understatement. He is the class of the conference at running back and played tough through a painful injury in the 2nd half. Again, we had limited options all over the field due to injuries.

I'm not surprised, he dished out and took a beating on Saturday.

Bison06
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree with you that the hit tyler took on that fumble was a great stick and that is what caused him to fumble, but if I remember correctly there were 2 unblocked men in the hole that hit him on that play. That is a blown assignment somewhere. SDSU played a good game, I haven't seen them play this year at all so I can't compare it to how they have played in other games, so I won't. But, I truly believe we played our worst game of the year. Again, I don't want to take anything away from the Jacks as they deserved to win. But, we were very flat and really lacked any intensity from what I saw. I am not one to criticize coaches because they do a much better job than I would, but even they looked a little off in our play calling. I'm not questioning them, just some uncharacteristic calls I thought. A shovel pass on 3rd and 4 inside their 20. We kept running our defensive stunts and stayed in cover 2 while they were running all over us. It was frustrating. We have just become so accustomed to great play calls and everything going well that when they don't I guess it becomes just little more obvious. For the record I think all of our coaches are great and wouldn't want anything on our staff to change. Just some observations that I made throughout the game.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree with you that the hit tyler took on that fumble was a great stick and that is what caused him to fumble, but if I remember correctly there were 2 unblocked men in the hole that hit him on that play. That is a blown assignment somewhere. SDSU played a good game, I haven't seen them play this year at all so I can't compare it to how they have played in other games, so I won't. But, I truly believe we played our worst game of the year.

Really, worse than SF Austin or Cal Poly? I don't think you are being honest.

I would say that we played really well, like you should in a rivalry game for the conference championship, but I don't know if it was our best game. Defensively and Special teams (even though Parker missed that kick), maybe, but i would say our offense was better in the games against Central Arkansas and Cal Poly. Our run game was sound yesterday, but our passing game never seemed to get on track...part of the reason is because our best WR was a non-factor due to a knee injury.

bisontown
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
So did Cal Poly beat themselves too? Poor tackling, and even worse coaching could be said to have cost them the game. Or the Bison just made more plays than they did. The Jacks just made more plays. You make your own luck.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I agree with you that the hit tyler took on that fumble was a great stick and that is what caused him to fumble, but if I remember correctly there were 2 unblocked men in the hole that hit him on that play. That is a blown assignment somewhere.

Roehl got hit at the line more times than not on Saturday, I don't know if it was missed assignments as much as us winning the battle between our DL/linebackers and your OL/FB/TE.

We are really, really good in the defensive front seven, not to take anything away from Mays/Humber/Maresh, but maybe the best in the Great West.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
So did Cal Poly beat themselves too? Poor tackling, and even worse coaching could be said to have cost them the game. Or the Bison just made more plays than they did. The Jacks just made more plays. You make your own luck.

I was thinking this same exact thing. Cal Poly played horrible defense in the fourth quarter against NDSU but it was defined as the magic of Steve Walker. Needless to say, I was quite nervous when we gave Walker the ball back with 1:50 on the clock.

No_Skill
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Prancing tailback...ask David Earl if he pranced over him on the 4th and 1 play?

I'll give you the fact that Roehl was dinged up halfway through the game but don't take away anything from Cory Koenig to boost your/his ego...he is a hell of a good back. So is Roehl, it's just that his tendency to not hold onto the football this year ended up costing you in the end. Koenig dominated the game stat wise versus Roehl, and came up with bigger plays than Roehl when their respected teams needed them. Although, I would say Roehl had to go against a better defensive front and linebacker group than Koenig did.

BTW, you can't say that SDSU is just "opportunstic" like you described above. Besides the fumble on the kickoff by Shamen, our team caused every other turnover and the blocked punt. It was hell of a hit by our Sophmore linebackers that made Roehl fumble, a big play by our true freshman DB to block the punt, and a great read (Walker admitted it) by our Senior DB to intercept the final pass. I would describe it as creating your own outcome, not taking something that was given to you.

Yep...the refs "caused" that one. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bison06
11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
As far as complete lack of execution and horrible tackling, yeah I have no doubt in my mind that this was our worst game of the year. No need to be defensive about it, I am only one man that has no affiliation with the team anymore. It is my opinion that this was our worst game of the year.

Rabbitlivinginverm
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
It is my opinion that this was our worst game of the year.

Yeah, it should be your worst game of the year. It's the only one you lost.

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 07:06 PM
This was the only game this year that I saw that I didnt feel good about. Even the games we pulled out at the last second I thought we should have won those games because of our play. This past Sarurday was different. IF we would have won I would have been happy but very surprised. Nuff said on that.

But its over now. It was a another great year. I had a blast watching the Bison and meeting a host of new Bison fans. Its been great and I cant wait till next year. Thank goodness there is football on TV !!!!!! PL

ps Any Bison fans who get down this way (AR) or to Springfield MO or Branson give me a heads up.