PDA

View Full Version : A Different Halftime Show

Bison101
11-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I may sound a bit grumpy, but I think the Gold Star Band is BORRRRINNNG at halftime. I mean, who wants to hear Mr. Roboto and Beatles songs at a football game? What happened to fight songs at the half?

NDSUFREAK
11-19-2007, 02:00 AM
gsmb is boring at halftime....i agree

BigDeal
11-19-2007, 02:27 AM
It wouldn't be a football season without another one of these stupid threads bringing up a show that was done in 2003.

roadwarrior
11-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Won't the GSMB have a new director next season? I am sure we will start to see something different with a new director.

imabison
11-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Won't the GSMB have a new director next season? I am sure we will start to see something different with a new director.
Lets hope the new director has some of the Marching Band software that aids in design of the show. The software is not perfect but hard working band members make it go. The trick is to test it all to make sure it can be done on the field.

Herd Mentality
11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
I wanted to throttle the band for insisting on playing in between EVERY play on the final drive in Brookings.

02Bison
11-19-2007, 03:21 AM

c'mon...open your mind up a little bit...i agree it would be nice to have some new life infused into the GSMB program...but I'll take them over canned music anyday!

56BISON73
11-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Lets hope the new director has some of the Marching Band software that aids in design of the show. The software is not perfect but hard working band members make it go. The trick is to test it all to make sure it can be done on the field.

I think an infusion of new talent so they have more members certainly wouldnt hurt as sometimes I couldnt even hear them. Plus they really dont have the numbers to really look good out on the field. Its pretty sad.IMO
But with the new director and and infuson of funding things should get better. PL

Blue
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I wanted to throttle the band for insisting on playing in between EVERY play on the final drive in Brookings.
At least the Gold Star band played during the game and cared about the game....

Bisonguy
11-19-2007, 10:18 PM
At least the Gold Star band played during the game and cared about the game....

Speaking of which, anybody recognize the guy in the black jacket in the background signaling a TD??:)

http://www.dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/222789404-M.jpg

tjbison
11-20-2007, 04:23 AM
I think an infusion of new talent so they have more members certainly wouldnt hurt as sometimes I couldnt even hear them. Plus they really dont have the numbers to really look good out on the field. Its pretty sad.IMO
But with the new director and and infuson of funding things should get better. PL

More Members would really help, put some mics in front of them and blast that stuff. Whats with the one guy with a PINK Horn?? I got razzed over that at the Gopher game during halftime?

BlueBisonRock
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
More Members would really help, put some mics in front of them and blast that stuff. Whats with the one guy with a PINK Horn?? I got razzed over that at the Gopher game during halftime?

Pink Horn? Sounds like a positive story for the masses. Can any band member provide some details? Pink Horn? What a concept?!

BigBison
11-20-2007, 06:36 AM
I dont know whats the deal with the pink horn but they have a green and black horn that gets passed down from band member to band member.

El_Chapitan
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM

It is a passed down horn for the rookie of the year of that section (started last year). A new horn that is not as noticable as that one will replace it for next year.

There was talk of putting mics in front of the band but the fargodome never did it.

Bison101
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
It is a passed down horn for the rookie of the year of that section (started last year). A new horn that is not as noticable as that one will replace it for next year.

There was talk of putting mics in front of the band but the fargodome never did it.

Yeah, mics would really help.

extremerouge
07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
whoa bringing back a thread from its death!

Bison101
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
whoa bringing back a thread from its death!

I apologize. I guess this thread is useless nowadays.

BisBison
07-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I apologize. I guess this thread is useless nowadays.

no 101 no thread is useless nowadays in the dog days of summer, spent reading any bit of info to pass the time until the Aug 28 kickoff.

HerdBot
07-18-2008, 04:52 AM
I may sound a bit grumpy, but I think the Gold Star Band is BORRRRINNNG at halftime. I mean, who wants to hear Mr. Roboto and Beatles songs at a football game? What happened to fight songs at the half?

I don't think we need a new halftime show...just improve the band. Make them BIGGER and BETTER!

Personally I'd like to see more memorable game highlights on the big screens at half time. Why not play cool video's of big time wins. Old game film. I still say we do a piss poor job of promoting our storied history that includes 8 Championships. We also do a piss poor job of utilizing the million dollar video screens.

BisBison
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
FWIW my son got his letter from the marching band director yesterday. He's an incoming freshman at SU this fall and plans on joining the marching band. They arrive a week early and practice from 8:30-5:00 Mon thru Sat. They also practice 5 hours Sunday, and 8:30-5:00 again Monday. They sound real excited, new uniforms, new drums, new $$$ for the kids, new marching style, and a new director who is really pushing this thing. I think starting this year you will see much improvement, with more to come as this band grows.

mebisonII
07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
FWIW my son got his letter from the marching band director yesterday. He's an incoming freshman at SU this fall and plans on joining the marching band. They arrive a week early and practice from 8:30-5:00 Mon thru Sat. They also practice 5 hours Sunday, and 8:30-5:00 again Monday. They sound real excited, new uniforms, new drums, new $$$ for the kids, new marching style, and a new director who is really pushing this thing. I think starting this year you will see much improvement, with more to come as this band grows.

Best of luck to your son, no better way to back friends in college than joining the MB!

I was looking at the MB camp schedule (its on their website) and it looks like its a couple days longer than when I was in, although maybe its the same. If it is longer, that should help things get right off to a better start. BisBison, do you know what their rehearsal schedule is during the week? They changed from 1.25 hrs/5 days a week to 1.5 hrs/3 days a week while I was there. They had a reason for doing that, but I always thought it ended up working against us.

Can't wait to see what they look like, and I'm VERY excited they are coming to UNI!!! :nod:

BisBison
07-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Best of luck to your son, no better way to back friends in college than joining the MB!

I was looking at the MB camp schedule (its on their website) and it looks like its a couple days longer than when I was in, although maybe its the same. If it is longer, that should help things get right off to a better start. BisBison, do you know what their rehearsal schedule is during the week? They changed from 1.25 hrs/5 days a week to 1.5 hrs/3 days a week while I was there. They had a reason for doing that, but I always thought it ended up working against us.

Can't wait to see what they look like, and I'm VERY excited they are coming to UNI!!! :nod:

rehearsal is 1hr & 45 min Mon,Wed & Fri. They also have one more road trip they know about, (CHatty) :praying:

Bison101
07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't think we need a new halftime show...just improve the band. Make them BIGGER and BETTER!

Personally I'd like to see more memorable game highlights on the big screens at half time. Why not play cool video's of big time wins. Old game film. I still say we do a piss poor job of promoting our storied history that includes 8 Championships. We also do a piss poor job of utilizing the million dollar video screens.

Yes, our video screens kick butt! You have a great idea Gabe!

gobison.gsb
07-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Okay. So for all of you that are wondering, I can spill a little of what I know for next year. First, the band as of a week ago has registered over one hundred. Pretty awesome considering that we were 85 last year, like 83 the year before. Plus, not all the rookies have signed up, I know a lot of vets haven't registered yet, and we always every year have more people join once classes start. So we will definetly be bigger for next year.
We are being miked in the stands (although they did tell us that last year, but something tells me that it may actually happen this year.)
New director is fantastic and implementing changes, although he's not doing major-major changes since it is still his first year.
The thing I always want to know is if people don't like the halftime shows we do (which are not choices in the students hands), but what do we do instead. Eveyone always says, newer music, or something different, but when asked for specifics the answer is usually.....silence. It's not easy to pick a halftime show. Not every song in the world is available, and you can't always afford to have someone custom write for you.
sorry, dont' mean to rant, it's just something we get alot. (and something we usually can't control)
Next year will definetly be different (good different) and hopefully much, much better.

BisBison
07-19-2008, 06:25 AM
good post gsb. thanks for the info. I too hate it when people bitch and when asked for input they have none. Over 100 is great numbers. Looking forward to the new look GSMB

Bison"FANatic"
07-19-2008, 12:09 PM
It sounds like the band is going to be pretty good. I am sure it will take time. I just hope it is different formations. My wife was in the band in the early 90's and when she sits in the stands and goes "OK now the are going to make a star and then a ________" It is just pretty predictable. If I remember correctly it changed some last year but I am looking forward to see what the new guy brings to the field

mebisonII
07-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Okay. So for all of you that are wondering, I can spill a little of what I know for next year. First, the band as of a week ago has registered over one hundred. Pretty awesome considering that we were 85 last year, like 83 the year before. Plus, not all the rookies have signed up, I know a lot of vets haven't registered yet, and we always every year have more people join once classes start. So we will definetly be bigger for next year.
We are being miked in the stands (although they did tell us that last year, but something tells me that it may actually happen this year.)
New director is fantastic and implementing changes, although he's not doing major-major changes since it is still his first year.
The thing I always want to know is if people don't like the halftime shows we do (which are not choices in the students hands), but what do we do instead. Eveyone always says, newer music, or something different, but when asked for specifics the answer is usually.....silence. It's not easy to pick a halftime show. Not every song in the world is available, and you can't always afford to have someone custom write for you.
sorry, dont' mean to rant, it's just something we get alot. (and something we usually can't control)
Next year will definetly be different (good different) and hopefully much, much better.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted!!

Definately true on the music selection. You'll never be able to please everyone, as some like traditional corp-style music, others want pop, and someone else wants anything other than either of those. But hopefully with some more financial backing they will be able to add some new tunes into the mix. The members work hard, they deserve good material to work with! :nod:

sambini
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks GSB for your insight. Good luck to the GSB THIS YEAR++++

Bison101
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM

You get some Rep Points, gsb!

99Bison
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I would say the biggest need is for enthuiasm to come across from the band... however that can be accomplished.

BigDeal
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Amplify the band? Well its a damn good thing that me and a certain other trumpet player graduated otherwise there would be a lot of curse words coming over the sound system.

Hammersmith
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Amplify the band? Well its a damn good thing that me and a certain other trumpet player graduated otherwise there would be a lot of curse words coming over the sound system.

If you would have miced me while drum majoring, you would've gotten the same. (I went to the Wayne Dorothy school of motivation - some of you know what I mean.)

"Watch me for cutoffs you <beep><beep> little <beep><beep><beeeeeeeeeep>-ers!":ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Just kidding.

Mostly. :D

TbonZach
07-24-2008, 10:23 PM

You two aren't the only ones that let it fly. Although I did hear a lot of it coming from you two. ....And the Swears Like A Sailor award goes to... :p

And you need to change your sig. to the 3rd verse. That one's the best.

TbonZach
08-01-2008, 02:06 AM
I just hope it is different formations. My wife was in the band in the early 90's and when she sits in the stands and goes "OK now the are going to make a star and then a ________" It is just pretty predictable. If I remember correctly it changed some last year but I am looking forward to see what the new guy brings to the field

I'm assuming that you're talking about pre-game here. Well, what happens is basically just tradition. Sometimes there's changes for the piece right after "On Bison" and sometimes the formations for the Banner. Other than that, it's pretty cut and dry.

*Update about the band*

After a brief discussion with Dr. Johnson tonight I have some more information on the upcoming season.

-Once camp starts (Aug. 17) he's guessing that the band will have about 160 members - which is including those already registered and those not. For the sections that he mentioned, these are the approximate numbers so far: trumpets, 23; mellophones, 7; trombones, 20; sousaphones, 8; battery (drum line), 12; pit (front line), 8. That means we're going to have a crap-load of woodwinds. :banghead: ;)

-The band will be miked in the stand.

-The away trip for the band at UNI has been canceled. UNI wouldn't allocate seats for the band. I informed Dr. Johnson that my uncle is the Director of Bands at ISU, and I could probably convince him to try to pull some strings. Dr. Johnson said that he would definitely keep that in mind.

mebisonII
08-01-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm assuming that you're talking about pre-game here. Well, what happens is basically just tradition. Sometimes there's changes for the piece right after "On Bison" and sometimes the formations for the Banner. Other than that, it's pretty cut and dry.

*Update about the band*

After a brief discussion with Dr. Johnson tonight I have some more information on the upcoming season.

-Once camp starts (Aug. 17) he's guessing that the band will have about 160 members - which is including those already registered and those not. For the sections that he mentioned, these are the approximate numbers so far: trumpets, 23; mellophones, 7; trombones, 20; sousaphones, 8; battery (drum line), 12; pit (front line), 8. That means we're going to have a crap-load of woodwinds. :banghead: ;)

-The band will be miked in the stand.

-The away trip for the band at UNI has been canceled. UNI wouldn't allocate seats for the band. I informed Dr. Johnson that my uncle is the Director of Bands at ISU, and I could probably convince him to try to pull some strings. Dr. Johnson said that he would definitely keep that in mind.

160!?!?! That's about double last year right? Largest (NDSU) band I've seen was ~125 in 2000. That's awesome!

Too bad about the UNI game...they must be expecting a sellout? I think the AD should just buy 180 tickets to the game and then have the band show up with their instruments. Enough NDSU fans would swap seats to let the band sit together! :D

Hammersmith
08-01-2008, 02:54 AM
It sounds like the band is going to be pretty good. I am sure it will take time. I just hope it is different formations. My wife was in the band in the early 90's and when she sits in the stands and goes "OK now the are going to make a star and then a ________" It is just pretty predictable. If I remember correctly it changed some last year but I am looking forward to see what the new guy brings to the field

I was going to reply to this, but I forgot until TbonZach's post. There was a very good reason for always doing the "Circle-Star-NDSU" pre-game. Back then, our camp was only 2.5 days long with two additional practices before the first game. Section leader meetings and check-ins were on Friday. Sat, 1/2 Sun, & Mon was the camp. Classes and regular rehearsals(1.25hrs) started on Tues. Thurs was gameday. Since most rookies had absolutely no marching experience, puting something together in that short span of time was a major challenge. By using the same routine every year, it meant the veterns could spend less time learning drill/music and more time helping teach the rooks the basics. It wasn't the perfect solution, but it the best we could do in that situation.

The expansion of the marching camp and the higher percentage of rookies from Minnesota with previous maching experience may change the equation in the future, but that first game will always be a challenge if it's a home game; even moreso if it's a Thursday game like this year.

I may have been in the GMSB at the same time as your wife, but she was probably an upperclassmen when I was a rookie(I was there '94-'99).

Bison"FANatic"
08-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Ya it was a bunch of work in a little amount of time for very little credit that you guys did. The thing I didn't get was it was 10-12 years later when we were sitting in the stands and they still did the same thing, as she would sit there and say now they will do this and then that. I expect our band to take leaps and bounds in the next few years. This year may be tough but give the new guy a chance and I bet he puts on some good shows.

I do believe she graduated in 94 but I may be wrong, I know we were at NDSU for a few of the same years and I would guess at the same parties but didn't meet till after I came back to Fargo after Grad School.

roadwarrior
08-01-2008, 04:47 AM
I hope the changes happening with the band get the fans to the game earlier! Some days I cannot believe how empty the dome is 15 minutes prior to kickoff. I am sure the players would appreciate a bigger crowd when they make their entrance to the field.

met1990
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I hope the changes happening with the band get the fans to the game earlier! Some days I cannot believe how empty the dome is 15 minutes prior to kickoff. I am sure the players would appreciate a bigger crowd when they make their entrance to the field.

I think it was a tough sell pulling anyone out of the tailgating lots until the last possible minute last year.

Bisonguy
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM

Sometimes I can't believe how many people are piling in after the national anthem. :smh:

BisBison
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I think it was a tough sell pulling anyone out of the tailgating lots until the last possible minute last year.

IF we sold beer in the FFD that would solve that. Just my two cents. In any event 160 in the band??? What an improvement from 85 last year. This guy Dr Johnson is pumped. My kid got another e-mail from him about Marching Band Camp yesterday, his excitement is contagious. I can't believe what he's done in such a short time already for this band. We're in for a treat this year.

Hammersmith
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
The football team's success and the return of playoff eligibility have a lot to do with it. Up 'till the transition, there was an almost perfect correlation between a playoff appearance and the size of the band the following year. It may not be the biggest reason for the expected growth, but it's not the smallest either.

mebisonII
08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
The football team's success and the return of playoff eligibility have a lot to do with it. Up 'till the transition, there was an almost perfect correlation between a playoff appearance and the size of the band the following year. It may not be the biggest reason for the expected growth, but it's not the smallest either.

The whole 'getting paid' thing can't hurt either :)

Hammersmith
08-01-2008, 02:10 PM
The whole 'getting paid' thing can't hurt either :)

That's what I was thinking about with the whole "biggest reason" line. I know I would've been at a whole lot more pep band games if some green was spread around. Any word on how much money is actually part of the package for the GSMB members?

d3boys
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
bigger band
bigger sound
bigger half time show

TbonZach
08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Any word on how much money is actually part of the package for the GSMB members?

Don't quote me on this because I don't remember the exact details, but I think this is it (based on last year).

I believe base is $100 (for freshman/rookies) and it increases for each year that you're in the band. There is also more, on top of that, for those in leadership positions.

It's not much, but it sure is better than nothing.

BigDeal
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
That's what I was thinking about with the whole "biggest reason" line. I know I would've been at a whole lot more pep band games if some green was spread around. Any word on how much money is actually part of the package for the GSMB members?

I got around $100 last fall. I was a section leader though. I'm not sure if the funds set up are a fixed amount to be divided amongst everyone or if everyone is guaranteed x amount of dollars.

BigDeal
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM

I think there are a lot of different things that all came together starting last fall to fuel the growth. I don't think there is one specific thing, but I think your reasoning plays a large part. Other things I think that have contributed to the growth are

1. New uniforms that don't require glue, scotch tape, or staples

2. A director who will have adequate time to spend on the band

3. The tiny bit of cash

4. Older students (23+) who are finally graduating or just plain not coming back who had not embraced more progressive measures for the band.

5. Low turnover rate

Oddly, #4 was a huge problem.

mebisonII
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I think there are a lot of different things that all came together starting last fall to fuel the growth. I don't think there is one specific thing, but I think your reasoning plays a large part. Other things I think that have contributed to the growth are

1. New uniforms that don't require glue, scotch tape, or staples

2. A director who will have adequate time to spend on the band

3. The tiny bit of cash

4. Older students (23+) who are finally graduating or just plain not coming back who had not embraced more progressive measures for the band.

5. Low turnover rate

Oddly, #4 was a huge problem.

heh, i.e. those who were vetrans when I started....and still vetrans when you finished :D

TbonZach
08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
heh, i.e. those who were vetrans when I started....and still vetrans when you finished :D

Like a certain male drum major or a certain female trumpet player?

....I think I'm on my way to being one of them, too.... 6 years and counting.

mebisonII
08-01-2008, 10:45 PM

:) maybe...better not say much, as I'm easy to identify to those who know me (but they'd know I was just giving a hard time)

TbonZach
08-01-2008, 11:37 PM
:) maybe...better not say much, as I'm easy to identify to those who know me (but they'd know I was just giving a hard time)

Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. ;)

BigDeal
08-02-2008, 02:55 AM

I didn't say anything!

sambini
08-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Looking forward to seeing the GSMB this fall. 26 days.....

TbonZach
08-02-2008, 04:10 AM
I didn't say anything!

I know nu-sing, nu-sing!

http://www.nndb.com/people/181/000032085/schultz.jpg

pmp6nl
08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
A birdie told me they are predicting about 200 once school starts.

TbonZach
08-08-2008, 03:33 AM
After a brief discussion with Dr. Johnson...Once camp starts (Aug. 17) he's guessing that the band will have about 160 members....

A birdie told me they are predicting about 200 once school starts.

Now they're predicting 200?! Holy crap! :eek:

There won't be any room left in the band room!

But seriously, if it does get up to 200, that would be awesome!

gobison.gsb
08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Okay, now that is getting everyone's hopes up way to high. Let's not dwell on any figures until we march into the fargodome on game day, then we'll know exactly how big the band is (and frankly, I think, it is better left a secret about our size so we actually can surprise our fans with a much larger, all around better gold star marching band). Now is the time when us current band folks must zip our lips regarding changes to the band so it can have the effect, I think, that most of us want.

Bison bison
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
You guys better do something special.

I ponied up $250 for your fundraiser - I want to be wowed!

tony
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
You guys better do something special.

I ponied up $250 for your fundraiser - I want to be wowed!

Carp! I forgot all about that! Anybody have the contact information for donating to the band fund?

Bison bison
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
contact the development foundation: http://www.ndsufoundation.com/

BigDeal
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Okay, now that is getting everyone's hopes up way to high. Let's not dwell on any figures until we march into the fargodome on game day, then we'll know exactly how big the band is (and frankly, I think, it is better left a secret about our size so we actually can surprise our fans with a much larger, all around better gold star marching band). Now is the time when us current band folks must zip our lips regarding changes to the band so it can have the effect, I think, that most of us want.

Psh. Bisonville is 60 percent speculation, 25 percent reaction, 5 percent waste, 10 percent present. In a month, after you complete your "extended White Rabbit" show, it'll be business as usual again.

Since we're on speculation, I'm taking Phantom Regiment to upset the Cavies for the #2 spot, but the Blue Devils will hold on for the win.

TbonZach
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Psh. Bisonville is 60 percent speculation, 25 percent reaction, 5 percent waste, 10 percent present. In a month, after you complete your "extended White Rabbit" show, it'll be business as usual again.

OMG. If we ever play White Rabbit again, it'll be too soon. 3 times in 6 years is too much. :banghead:

GradBison
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
GSMB drummers have been marching on campus today. Getting me even more pumped for the kickoff! :nod:

GO BISON!!

BisBison
08-20-2008, 02:18 AM
Talked to my son who started practice with the GSMB yesterday. Says they have 160 marching this year. Dr. Chapman stopped by practice today to offer support. He told them he was real excited to see the band's new look and thanked them for being a part of the excitment on campus. What a leader he is. How many university presidents show that much interest in the activities on campus? One week before students arrive and he finds time to welcome new band members. Hats off to Joe.

TAILG8R
08-20-2008, 02:22 AM
160 is a big increase from last year correct?

Tatanka
08-20-2008, 02:22 AM
++

On another topic, with the band having those kind of numbers, are the powers that be that run the sound board in the Fargodome going to STFU and let the band play, or are we in for another season of overplayed canned music? Discuss.

Bison bison
08-20-2008, 02:32 AM
GSMB drummers have been marching on campus today. Getting me even more pumped for the kickoff! :nod:

GO BISON!!

sounded like the same old boom-boom-boom-boom to me.

:D

roadwarrior
08-20-2008, 02:35 AM
160 is a big increase from last year correct?

Haven't we been in the 90 something range the past couple of years? So yeah, 160 is a huge difference!

TAILG8R
08-20-2008, 02:38 AM
Haven't we been in the 90 something range the past couple of years? So yeah, 160 is a huge difference!

That's what I thought. That should look noticeably different on the Fargodome turf. Now is when I have to admit I am almost excited to see the new GSMB, OK maybe not excited, intrigued.

imabison
08-20-2008, 03:23 AM
That's what I thought. That should look noticeably different on the Fargodome turf. Now is when I have to admit I am almost excited to see the new GSMB, OK maybe not excited, intrigued.
On WDAY TV Sig says that hopefully they will all stay for next year, and then soon we will be to big for the field.!!!!!

If I remember I counted 86 last year.

Go Bison!!!! Go Band!!!!

TbonZach
08-20-2008, 03:35 AM
....are the powers that be that run the sound board in the Fargodome going to STFU and let the band play, or are we in for another season of overplayed canned music? Discuss.

I'm sorta kinda not really torn on this, especially from someone who's been in the drum line. The band has to play on every down. If we don't they can in the music, which sucks. While most every section gets a playing break from now and then, the Line has to play on EVERY down no matter what. Whether it be a trumpet short, Line short, or full band. The Line has to play on every GD down. And with the amount of repeating that we do for songs it gets old really fast (as I'm sure everyone would agree).

In short (to late!): while it sucks to have canned music, from the band's POV, it is sometimes nice to have a short break.

Yes, 160 is a huge difference! While it's still small compared to many other bands, it's ginormous when it comes to the GSMB. I'll put it into perspective in regards to the GSMB size difference: there is no longer enough in the band room. We now have full band rehearsals in Festival Concert Hall.

fargocyclone
08-20-2008, 03:50 AM
In short (to late!): while it sucks to have canned music, from the band's POV, it is sometimes nice to have a short break.

The ISUCF"V"MB plays almost every single down...

mebisonII
08-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Will someone please do me a favor and get a GOOD video of the GSMB this season and youtube it? I won't be able to see them in person, and I want to see what 160 in new green and gold looks like.

P.S. Chapman never came and welcomed me to campus!! :( The football coaches did, though, both Bohl and Babich.

TbonZach
08-20-2008, 04:01 AM
The ISUCF"V"MB plays almost every single down...

But do they have more than three songs?* I've never seen them so I don't have anything to compare between them and the GSMB.

*of course I'm exaggerating that number, but it sure seems like it's that small.

fargocyclone
08-20-2008, 04:23 AM
But do they have more than three songs?* I've never seen them so I don't have anything to compare between them and the GSMB.

*of course I'm exaggerating that number, but it sure seems like it's that small.

Yup, the new GSMB director might be able to expand the repertoire a little bit though?

Hammersmith
08-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Just to reinforce what others have said, 160 is a very big improvement. It won't quite be a record(I know we were around 160-180 in the mid-'90s), but it's close. The new pit percussion will be interesting. Most marching bands have it, but most stadiums also have deeper sidelines. The logistics of getting the pit out on the field while the teams head to the locker rooms should be pretty funny to watch the first few games. The bugs will be worked out pretty quick, but chaos should reign for at least the first game.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the new uniforms, but they're no worse than the old design(and way better than the design before that). It looks like Olfert and last year's leadership fell into the same trap we and Dorothy did back in the day. With the poor lighting and green turf in the Fargodome, no decent shade of green works as a primary color; it just blends in with the field. I also don't like that the new uniforms have black pants for the same reason. The counter argument is that dark pants/shoes cover up a ton of mistakes in marching style and rhythm. There's really no right or wrong answer, but I would've gone with white as the primary color and yellow, green and black as accent colors. Basically a reverse of the old standard and drum major uniforms.

I guess my biggest problem beyond the color choices, is the overall style of the uniforms. I haven't kept up with current drum corps trends, but the uniforms seem to have many modern corps-style elements. That's great in other areas of the country, but I think the GSMB uniforms should reflect the history of the band, the football team, the university, and the region. We're a traditional university in a conservative state whose football team has a smashmouth type of play and the marching band started as a ROTC cadet band. If any band should be wearing traditional/military type uniforms, it's this one.

Any late-night quibbling aside, I'm incredibly pleased that Chapman stepped in to make the necessary changes that will bring the band to the level the team, fans and university deserve.

SDbison
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Just to reinforce what others have said, 160 is a very big improvement. It won't quite be a record(I know we were around 160-180 in the mid-'90s), but it's close. The new pit percussion will be interesting. Most marching bands have it, but most stadiums also have deeper sidelines. The logistics of getting the pit out on the field while the teams head to the locker rooms should be pretty funny to watch the first few games. The bugs will be worked out pretty quick, but chaos should reign for at least the first game.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the new uniforms, but they're no worse than the old design(and way better than the design before that). It looks like Olfert and last year's leadership fell into the same trap we and Dorothy did back in the day. With the poor lighting and green turf in the Fargodome, no decent shade of green works as a primary color; it just blends in with the field. I also don't like that the new uniforms have black pants for the same reason. The counter argument is that dark pants/shoes cover up a ton of mistakes in marching style and rhythm. There's really no right or wrong answer, but I would've gone with white as the primary color and yellow, green and black as accent colors. Basically a reverse of the old standard and drum major uniforms.

I guess my biggest problem beyond the color choices, is the overall style of the uniforms. I haven't kept up with current drum corps trends, but the uniforms seem to have many modern corps-style elements. That's great in other areas of the country, but I think the GSMB uniforms should reflect the history of the band, the football team, the university, and the region. We're a traditional university in a conservative state whose football team has a smashmouth type of play and the marching band started as a ROTC cadet band. If any band should be wearing traditional/military type uniforms, it's this one.

Any late-night quibbling aside, I'm incredibly pleased that Chapman stepped in to make the necessary changes that will bring the band to the level the team, fans and university deserve.
The increased size of the band sounds great, also good to hear there shoud be some new music. Also think I heard earlier that the red drums are gone. The uniforms are new but not that impressive. One comment on detail.......why is the gold star patch on the upper arm so plain? Some sort of accent or outline (gold shiny stuff) would be 1000% better! Maybe they can have it added in the future.
Also, I agree with hammersmith, white uniforms with green, yellow and black accents would have been much better. Did the band consult anyone in NDSU's fashion design department to get some artistic imput?

TransAmBison
08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I think the band uniforms should all be Thundar suits.

mebisonII
08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the band uniforms should all be Thundar suits.

:rofl: :praying: :rofl: :praying: :rofl: :praying: :rofl: :praying:

We can rename the band "The rolling Thundar"

HerdBot
08-20-2008, 05:07 PM

I didn't realize it was so big in the early 90's. How did it go from 190 to 80? 160+ is much larger than it was last year so it's a step in the right direction but if we're going to be the big dogs, we need to get it over the 250 range. If that is not possible, we need to focus on quality vs quantity and it sounds like the drums are a step in the right direction. I'm not an expert on bands but I gotta tell ya I really liked the SDSU band. How big are they?

I agree w/you on the colors given the lighting.

BisBison
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I didn't realize it was so big in the early 90's. How did it go from 190 to 80? 160+ is much larger than it was last year so it's a step in the right direction but if we're going to be the big dogs, we need to get it over the 250 range. If that is not possible, we need to focus on quality vs quantity and it sounds like the drums are a step in the right direction. I'm not an expert on bands but I gotta tell ya I really liked the SDSU band. How big are they?

250 is a great goal gabe, but you don't go from 85 to 250 in 1 year. I think the jump to 160 is VERY impressive. The SDSU band marches about 350 give or take. You don't need that many IMHO, 200-250 would be very impressive. I also think we should wait and see how the new uniforms look on the field before trashing them.

SDbison
08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
250 is a great goal gabe, but you don't go from 85 to 250 in 1 year. I think the jump to 160 is VERY impressive. The SDSU band marches about 350 give or take. You don't need that many IMHO, 200-250 would be very impressive. I also think we should wait and see how the new uniforms look on the field before trashing them.
The plain yellow stars look ridiculous......OK I said it. Looks like something mom made for their 5 year olds halloween outfit.

Hammersmith
08-20-2008, 09:35 PM

The numbers dropped for a variety of reasons. A small hit came because Wayne Dorothy had an aggressive, and somewhat abrasive, personality. It tended to scare off a few rookies. Those that stayed tended to be more committed, though. The second hit was Rocky Hager. We had an incident with football players running over band members. Not only did we not receive an apology or a promise that it wouldn't happen again, Rocky and the team actually seemed to think it was funny. So we basically said screw you.

Next came the somewhat down football years of late-Rocky/Babich. When the football team is down, so is the size of the band. Then Dorothy was fired and Olfert replaced him. Dorothy didn't particularly care for marching band, but Olfert liked it even less(and wasn't as good at it either). During the handoff between Dorothy and Olfert, there was also a shift in the political balance of power within the music department. During the 90's, the band program had achieved parity with the choirs. With the losses of Dorothy, Watkins and Justus all in the same year, professor senority on the instrumental side was crushed and marching band ended up on the very bottom of the priority list.

The absence of playoffs combined with the feelings of almost all the music faculty towards marching band(they don't like it), has kept the numbers below 90 for the last few years. As you can see, there's no simple answer you can point to.

As for SD's comment about the Gold Star on the sleeve, that I can sum up in one word: money. Marching band uniforms are hideously expensive and money is not unlimited. It's often a case of doing the best you can with the money you've got. To put on a better star might've meant no cuffs, no sash or no half cape(or whatever that thing's called). As it was, those uniforms probably cost Chapman's office close to $150,000. The one thing I'd say about the sleeve star is that I think the shape is wrong. I think it would look a little better if the point angles were tighter(like the 5-pointed stars you drew as a kid on lined notebook paper where it was all straight lines). The type of star on the new uniform kinda has a sloppy feel to it that has nothing to do with the material.

Don't get me started on the star-like thing on the hat. That thing's just stupid because you can't tell what it is from a medium distance, and it will be completely invisible from the stands. What's the point?

I don't mean to get too down on the band(they're doing a lot of things right), but this is my thing. Been there, done that, have 20 T-shirts to prove it.

Oh, and TAB's idea is the best.

TransAmBison
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
The numbers dropped for a variety of reasons. A small hit came because Wayne Dorothy had an aggressive, and somewhat abrasive, personality. It tended to scare off a few rookies. Those that stayed tended to be more committed, though. The second hit was Rocky Hager. We had an incident with football players running over band members. Not only did we not receive an apology or a promise that it wouldn't happen again, Rocky and the team actually seemed to think it was funny. So we basically said screw you.

Next came the somewhat down football years of late-Rocky/Babich. When the football team is down, so is the size of the band. Then Dorothy was fired and Olfert replaced him. Dorothy didn't particularly care for marching band, but Olfert liked it even less(and wasn't as good at it either). During the handoff between Dorothy and Olfert, there was also a shift in the political balance of power within the music department. During the 90's, the band program had achieved parity with the choirs. With the losses of Dorothy, Watkins and Justus all in the same year, professor senority on the instrumental side was crushed and marching band ended up on the very bottom of the priority list.

The absence of playoffs combined with the feelings of almost all the music faculty towards marching band(they don't like it), has kept the numbers below 90 for the last few years. As you can see, there's no simple answer you can point to.

As for SD's comment about the Gold Star on the sleeve, that I can sum up in one word: money. Marching band uniforms are hideously expensive and money is not unlimited. It's often a case of doing the best you can with the money you've got. To put on a better star might've meant no cuffs, no sash or no half cape(or whatever that thing's called). As it was, those uniforms probably cost Chapman's office close to $150,000. The one thing I'd say about the sleeve star is that I think the shape is wrong. I think it would look a little better if the point angles were tighter(like the 5-pointed stars you drew as a kid on lined notebook paper where it was all straight lines). The type of star on the new uniform kinda has a sloppy feel to it that has nothing to do with the material.

Don't get me started on the star-like thing on the hat. That thing's just stupid because you can't tell what it is from a medium distance, and it will be completely invisible from the stands. What's the point?

I don't mean to get too down on the band(they're doing a lot of things right), but this is my thing. Been there, done that, have 20 T-shirts to prove it.

Oh, and TAB's idea is the best.
I don't mean to be insensitive* but the football team running over a few band members does strike me as kind of funny.

*I don't mean to be insensitive, I just am. Rocky was a man's man...I could just see him smirking a little as he pretended to care.
**That all being said, I hope Hammersmith was not the person run over!

TbonZach
08-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Did the band consult anyone in NDSU's fashion design department to get some artistic imput?

A handfull of members and the uniform company design them. Not sure if they talked to anyone in fashion design.

The second hit was Rocky Hager. We had an incident with football players running over band members. Not only did we not receive an apology or a promise that it wouldn't happen again, Rocky and the team actually seemed to think it was funny. So we basically said screw you.

I've heard stories about that from Dr. O. I've always tried to envision what is was like. Did it happen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY)?

Hammersmith
08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
A handfull of members and the uniform company design them. Not sure if they talked to anyone in fashion design.

I've heard stories about that from Dr. O. I've always tried to envision what is was like. Did it happen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY)?

The band had finished whichever John Williams opener we were using that year and was arranged in a pseudo-chute of three rows along the tops of the numbers closest to the tunnel and the two hashes. We waited there until the team came out of the tunnel, played Fight Song, and then played Yellow & Green and the SSB. As the season began, football players started drifting closer to the band as they ran out of the tunnel. We complained; nothing happened. Eventually, there was a collision. A football player ran through the front line and absolutely leveled a underclassmen piccolo player. She was probably 90lbs soaking wet. Some might think it's funny, but she was lucky she came away with only some bruises rather than broken bones or a concussion.

When you're standing out there, you are completely defenseless. Often your feet are together so you have little balance control. You have to keep your chin up and face straight ahead, so you don't know if something's approaching you from the side, and your mind is completely on the music. In her case, one second she was playing Fight Song, the next she was laying 10 yards away wondering what the heck had just happened and not knowing if she was okay.

I will say this: I have zero respect for a football player(or anyone) who would do something like that. I guess it takes a big man to knock down a defenseless girl. I'm sure that he need all those pads(which probably weighed almost as much as her) to feel safe. Maybe if he stopped to help her up afterward, I might consider him to be something less than a f-ing punk, but he just kept running on. It's no surprise that Rocky had discipline problems his last few years at NDSU since that was the type of atmosphere he allowed. I don't think there was anyone in the band back then crying for him when he got the boot. I sure wasn't.

TbonZach
08-20-2008, 10:46 PM
The band had finished whichever John Williams opener we were using that year and was arranged in a pseudo-chute of three rows along the tops of the numbers closest to the tunnel and the two hashes. We waited there until the team came out of the tunnel, played Fight Song, and then played Yellow & Green and the SSB. As the season began, football players started drifting closer to the band as they ran out of the tunnel. We complained; nothing happened. Eventually, there was a collision. A football player ran through the front line and absolutely leveled a underclassmen piccolo player. She was probably 90lbs soaking wet. Some might think it's funny, but she was lucky she came away with only some bruises rather than broken bones or a concussion.

When you're standing out there, you are completely defenseless. Often your feet are together so you have little balance control. You have to keep your chin up and face straight ahead, so you don't know if something's approaching you from the side, and your mind is completely on the music. In her case, one second she was playing Fight Song, the next she was laying 10 yards away wondering what the heck had just happened and not knowing if she was okay.

I will say this: I have zero respect for a football player(or anyone) who would do something like that. I guess it takes a big man to knock down a defenseless girl. I'm sure that he need all those pads(which probably weighed almost as much as her) to feel safe. Maybe if he stopped to help her up afterward, I might consider him to be something less than a f-ing punk, but he just kept running on. It's no surprise that Rocky had discipline problems his last few years at NDSU since that was the type of atmosphere he allowed. I don't think there was anyone in the band back then crying for him when he got the boot. I sure wasn't.

I hope nobody thought I was trying to make fun of what happened; I agree 100%. There is no reason what-so-ever for this to happen. I just find that clip of the band still being on the field funny.

During a game my freshman year one, while waiting to go onto the field, of the clarinet players got hit by one of the sideline guys causing some pretty good damage to her mouth. Don't recall if she ever got an apology from him or if any disciplinary actions occurred.

If anything like these two examples happen an apology, AT MINIMUM, should be given.

mebisonII
08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Where is the band practicing this year? Are they back on the West lot by the FD?

TbonZach
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Where is the band practicing this year? Are they back on the West lot by the FD?

We're in one of the north softball fields.

BigDeal
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM

I agree with just about everything here. The only problem with white uniforms is that they show their age very quicky. The band has marched outside in less than idea weather conditions. I think every band member can remember slipping on a puddle on Albrecht somewhere. Dry cleaning only happens once a year... or at least that's all the effort a band member will put into his/her uniform. When I saw SDSU's band, I thought their legs looked really dirty.

A positive thing about the new uniform is that on the back you can clearly make out the printed NDSU. The circa 90's version just had NDSU in little print on the shoulders with a giant gold star. I think this creates a closer connection between the university and the band while still honoring it's tradition. However, I have to agree that a band with military roots should look more like a military band and not a drum corp.

The last two years I had helped with uniform distribution. That meant that I spent a lot of time pulling out staples, clothes pins, and scotch tape out of the uniforms in order to get them ready to have more staples, clothes pins, and scotch tape put back in. The uniforms were in terrible shape and way past their life expectancy. Anything new I'm sure is very much appreciated by the band.

Oh, and I have 21 t-shirts... only because one was a color mistake so they sent me another one.

Finally, tbonzach, any news on if the band is traveling to an away game?

TbonZach
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Finally, tbonzach, any news on if the band is traveling to an away game?

We were planning on going to UNI, but their athletics wouldn't allocate the seats. Sadly, when we still thought that UNI was a go, Wyoming called Dr. Johnson and asked if we were wanting to go there. Naturally he said no because he thought we were going to UNI.

I did let Dr. J know that my uncle was the Director of Bands at Illinois State and that he might have some extra pull for us, especially since I'm in the band that would be traveling there. He said he would keep that in mind but he has yet to talk to me again about that.

I do know this however - when, NOT if, the Bison make it to the championships the band WILL be going down to Chatty. Dr. Chapman will make it happen.

That's all the news I have right now.

BigDeal
08-25-2008, 03:21 AM
I was hoping you guys were coming out to Wyoming since I just moved to Denver. But, for unselfish reasons, I'd rather see you in Chatty than in Laramie!

sambini
08-25-2008, 04:09 AM
We were planning on going to UNI, but their athletics wouldn't allocate the seats. Sadly, when we still thought that UNI was a go, Wyoming called Dr. Johnson and asked if we were wanting to go there. Naturally he said no because he thought we were going to UNI.

I did let Dr. J know that my uncle was the Director of Bands at Illinois State and that he might have some extra pull for us, especially since I'm in the band that would be traveling there. He said he would keep that in mind but he has yet to talk to me again about that.

I do know this however - when, NOT if, the Bison make it to the championships the band WILL be going down to Chatty. Dr. Chapman will make it happen.

That's all the news I have right now. Thanks for the updates+++

HerdBot
08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
IF we sold beer in the FFD that would solve that. Just my two cents. In any event 160 in the band??? What an improvement from 85 last year. This guy Dr Johnson is pumped. My kid got another e-mail from him about Marching Band Camp yesterday, his excitement is contagious. I can't believe what he's done in such a short time already for this band. We're in for a treat this year.

Good point. I think they should start off and sell beer in the 1st half. That gives everyone nearly 2 hours to sober up. We're in the D1 days and all the other schools are selling beer.

56BISON73
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Good point. I think they should start off and sell beer in the 1st half. That gives everyone nearly 2 hours to sober up. We're in the D1 days and all the other schools are selling beer.

All the schools????Hmmm I know of one Big Ten school that doesnt. As a matter of fact I havent heard of any that do????

But why would you want to sell beer??? Dont they have enough time to drink during the tail gate?? I noticed some that were pretty well hammered before the game. Why throw more gas on the fire? PL

roadwarrior
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
All the schools????Hmmm I know of one Big Ten school that doesnt. As a matter of fact I havent heard of any that do???? PL

Well the Gophers have beer at the Metrodome, but will not have beer next year at their new stadium.

56BISON73
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Well the Gophers have beer at the Metrodome, but will not have beer next year at their new stadium.

Right I do remember that now from last year. PL

Bisonguy
08-27-2008, 03:52 AM
All the schools????Hmmm I know of one Big Ten school that doesnt. As a matter of fact I havent heard of any that do????

But why would you want to sell beer??? Dont they have enough time to drink during the tail gate?? I noticed some that were pretty well hammered before the game. Why throw more gas on the fire? PL

Heck, I know of one Big Ten school that has over 100k show up to every home game, and doesn't allow any alcohol for tailgating.

HerdBot
08-27-2008, 04:22 AM

Gas on the fire? I hear what your saying but I don't think beer sold in the dome would be primarily purchased by the drunk tailgaters in the tailgating lot. Many people don't tailgate. Actually, more people don't tailgate than do.

The beer would be consumed by non tailgaters. Maybe it will help some of those stiff fans who casually golf clap between chapters of their book... loosen up and actually cheer! Some people need a stiff one!

Yeah your going to have the occasional person who drinks too much but typically they sneak some alcohol in the dome. But if you cut it off at half time than you don't have to worry about people leaving the dome tanked.

56BISON73
08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Gas on the fire? I hear what your saying but I don't think beer sold in the dome would be primarily purchased by the drunk tailgaters in the tailgating lot. Many people don't tailgate. Actually, more people don't tailgate than do.

The beer would be consumed by non tailgaters. Maybe it will help some of those stiff fans who casually golf clap between chapters of their book... loosen up and actually cheer! Some people need a stiff one!

Yeah your going to have the occasional person who drinks too much but typically they sneak some alcohol in the dome. But if you cut it off at half time than you don't have to worry about people leaving the dome tanked.

You cant actually believe what you just posted. PL

HerdBot
08-28-2008, 03:53 AM
You cant actually believe what you just posted. PL

Which part seems to be the least believable? :)

56BISON73
08-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Which part seems to be the least believable? :)

All of it. LOL PL

TbonZach
09-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Here's a story that the Forum ran this past Saturday about the GSMB. It had more pictures of the band in the actual newspaper, but it's still good.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=213796

mebisonII
09-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Here's a story that the Forum ran this past Saturday about the GSMB. It had more pictures of the band in the actual newspaper, but it's still good.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=213796

Awesome thanks!

I don't think I've heard, what are your songlists this year? All new other than pre-game?

TbonZach
09-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Awesome thanks!

I don't think I've heard, what are your songlists this year? All new other than pre-game?

Stands tunes are basically same ol' same ol'. Trombones, trumpets, and sousas wrote out a few new shorts and someone wrote out a short from the movie "Drumline." Other than that it's nothing too spectacular.

Hammersmith
09-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Do you still have a decent number of arrangements by Tom Wallace, or did Olfert phase those out over the last several years? Also, any chance of Johnson bringing back the Fillmore arrangement of the SSB and getting rid of the current one?(my opinion of it is not fit for print)

TbonZach
09-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Do you still have a decent number of arrangements by Tom Wallace, or did Olfert phase those out over the last several years? Also, any chance of Johnson bringing back the Fillmore arrangement of the SSB and getting rid of the current one?(my opinion of it is not fit for print)

We still play some songs by Wallace. Don't recall which ones specifically but I know we have them. As for the Banner I'm don't know if there plans on changing it. I've only heard the Fillmore arrangement once (if it's the one I'm thinking of) and didn't really care for it. I kinda like the current one. I guess we're opposites on this one, huh? :)

56BISON73
09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey what happened to the flashing lights you guys wore during the first game?????? Or was I having a flashback from the 70s?????:D PL

TbonZach
09-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey what happened to the flashing lights you guys wore during the first game?????? Or was I having a flashback from the 70s?????:D PL

A lot of members didn't keep them after the first game because they didn't know they were supposed to - me being one of them. We didn't have enough left over for each member to wear at least one for the second game. Kind of an all or nothing deal.

Watching the tape of the first game's performances I thought I was having a flashback from the 70s. And I was born in '85! :D

mebisonII
09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
A lot of members didn't keep them after the first game because they didn't know they were supposed to - me being one of them. We didn't have enough left over for each member to wear at least one for the second game. Kind of an all or nothing deal.

Watching the tape of the first game's performances I thought I was having a flashback from the 70s. And I was born in '85! :D

Speaking of game tape, could you drop some hits about getting some of that online, either Youtube or on the GSMB website (which, BTW, doesn't seem to work atm)?

I'd love to see the band!

Hammersmith
09-18-2008, 06:32 PM
See if they can put it on the NDSUBeHerd youtube channel. It's run by NDSU so there shouldn't be any licensing issues.

mebisonII
09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
See if they can put it on the NDSUBeHerd youtube channel. It's run by NDSU so there shouldn't be any licensing issues.

I emailed your suggestion to Dr. Johnson and he said he hadn't thought of that, but they are working on it now! Looking forward to seeing it go up!

BisBison
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I emailed your suggestion to Dr. Johnson and he said he hadn't thought of that, but they are working on it now! Looking forward to seeing it go up!

Ye gotta love that guy arrrgh.

BigDeal
09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Ye gotta love that guy arrrgh.

I think it's time for a Pirates of the Caribbean halftime show. Yo ho. Drink up me hearties.

UTH
09-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I think it's time for a Pirates of the Caribbean halftime show. Yo ho. Drink up me hearties.

Where be the dancing Wenches???

BisBison
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
At the Paradiso watching the game in Jamestown. Tomorrow at 5:00 Road trip for BisBison & Company.

BigDeal
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Where be the dancing Wenches???

They be the colorguarrrrrrrrrd.

TbonZach
09-19-2008, 11:54 PM
They be the colorguarrrrrrrrrd.

:offtopic:

This reminds me of something that happened during a sorority meeting that BigDeal and I were in.

Up in the music lounge of Reineke there was an old fridge with a completely frozen-over freezer. As a service project we decided to "defrost" it. So we took turns using a spoon and a hammaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr to hack away the ice. All the while one of the prospective members was talking like a piarate. We eventually found a burrito that was in the back.....which someone ate afterwords....

"Gyarrrrr.... Treasure! It's a burrito! Gyarrr! ....I don't know why I feel like I have to keep making pirate sounds."

"You can find fun anywhere with a hammer. Go into the IACC and start smashing computers. 'What are you doing?!' Defrosting the keyboards."

That was a fun night.

Hammersmith
09-20-2008, 12:24 AM
So that's what TBS is up to now.
(Painfully typed on Mrs. bisonaudit's Trio while waiting for bisonaudit to clear customs at Dulles. See some of you at the alumni tent tommorow.)

BigDeal
09-21-2008, 04:45 AM
So that's what TBS is up to now.

It was a slow year. Hey TbonZach, I still have your paddle hanging on the wall next to me even though I'm 1000 miles from Fargo.

99Bison
11-02-2008, 12:38 AM
band gets A++ today

first shows up at tailgating in force

then puts on great new show at halftime!

great job band and staff!!

roadwarrior
11-02-2008, 01:21 AM
band gets A++ today

Yeah, I'm glad I came back to my seat at halftime in time to hear them.

Bison"FANatic"
11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
That was a really good half time show. It was nice to hear some different music and different formations. Great Job Band!!!!!!!

TbonZach
11-02-2008, 01:48 AM
first shows up at tailgating in force

That was a really good half time show. It was nice to hear some different music and different formations.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear it. To be honest, until this morning's rehearsal, I had my doubts. We learned the final song's drill in 5 rehearsals. The drumline had a part in the opener where we never went back far enough, along with us cymbals having to go between the snares during the closer and never doing it together. :praying: Well I tell you what. Today we finally did it. What better time to get it right than during the performance?

I really have to hand it to a few certain people, though. The drill for this show was student written. They did a great job writing and teaching it.:bowdown:

TbonZach
11-02-2008, 01:53 AM
I decided to put this as another post. Kinda two seperate thought directions.

We three cymbal players (of Orient* are) did have a scare getting onto the field. We learned how to get on the field only this morning. Here's basically how it went down tonight:

Me: *looks around, can't find other two* Oh no. No no no no. Don't tell me they went to the other side of the field.

Cymbal player 1: *walks up behind me* Aren't we on such and such lines?

Me: No, we're at such and such lines. *partially relieved*

Me and CP1: *looks around* Where's CP2? Oh crap. He's on the wrong side.

CP2 ended up staying on the sideline until a certain part in the opener, and jumped back in.

*Well, more like Turkish. We use Zildjian cymals

mebisonII
11-02-2008, 02:17 AM
I decided to put this as another post. Kinda two seperate thought directions.

We three cymbal players (of Orient* are) did have a scare getting onto the field. We learned how to get on the field only this morning. Here's basically how it went down tonight:

Me: *looks around, can't find other two* Oh no. No no no no. Don't tell me they went to the other side of the field.

Cymbal player 1: *walks up behind me* Aren't we on such and such lines?

Me: No, we're at such and such lines. *partially relieved*

Me and CP1: *looks around* Where's CP2? Oh crap. He's on the wrong side.

CP2 ended up staying on the sideline until a certain part in the opener, and jumped back in.

*Well, more like Turkish. We use Zildjian cymals

What did you play for halftime, and who wrote it?

BigDeal
11-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Hey Zach, I missed the video feed tonight and when I was back in Fargo last month people were keeping the show on the DL. Now that it is played and done, what was it? I'm assuming it wasn't Elton John or the Beatles.... Also, I think every major college band has played a Journey show this year. Not sure the appeal, but I don't mind because "Don't Stop Believin'" is one of my favorite songs. Not sure why... Anyway, it shows that the show selection is right on par with other DI bands. Good job this season so far.

TbonZach
11-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Hey Zach, I missed the video feed tonight and when I was back in Fargo last month people were keeping the show on the DL. Now that it is played and done, what was it?

For this one we did a movie theme....theme. Opener was "Batman," middler was "Back To the Future," and closer was "Incredibles."

To top it off, the DM's dressed up as the character of their respective song.

Hammersmith
11-02-2008, 03:31 AM
For this one we did a movie theme....theme. Opener was "Batman," middler was "Back To the Future," and closer was "Incredibles."

To top it off, the DM's dressed up as the character of their respective song.

Did the Incredibles arrangement have all the crazy mixed meter stuff from the original? (That score is my favorite movie score of the last 10 years.) Was the flag feature Back to the Future? On GoBison, we could see the forms, but the music was impossible to hear. I was wondering what the hell the giant Y was, but it would make sense if it was a flux capacitor. Still kinda cheezy ... but it would make sense. ;)

TbonZach
11-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Did the Incredibles arrangement have all the crazy mixed meter stuff from the original? Was the flag feature Back to the Future? On GoBison, we could see the forms, but the music was impossible to hear. I was wondering what the hell the giant Y was, but it would make sense if it was a flux capacitor. Still kinda cheezy ... but it would make sense. ;)

The Incredibles did have some mixed meter near the end. Yeah, the flag feature was Back to the Future. And, you guessed it, we did form a flux capacitor. The drumline really wanted to try to form a Delorean with spinning wheels and flames coming out the back, but that would have been a logistics nightmare. :D

BigBison
11-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Good job Band! For some reason you guys seemed extra pumped. You guys seem to have alot of fun out there, which is cool to see. Flag girls have gotten alot better. I liked the movie themes, side thought that Indiana Jones would make for another good preformance. Oh yeah I got the Flux Capacitro formation right away, cool. Batman was awesome also. When you guys were taking the field I was like, "WTF is that Marty Mcfly?" Anyways good job.

sambini
11-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Great job GSMB+++++++++

extremerouge
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
hey I gotta agree with everyone here and say well done band! you all did a great job

Go_Herd
11-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Well played band. Thought it was great with the costumes and the theme songs.

I sit right next to the band and during the breaks between the plays in the first half, they didn't play on two of them...They seemed to be pretty amped up yesterday.

duluthbison
11-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Hey all...I was watching the opening part of the Virginia Tech football game today and noticed something kinda cool. When the team is about to rush out, the marching band lines up on either side and the team runs out inside of the band and then they play the school song. I think that would be sweet if the GSMB could do something similar!

gobison.gsb
11-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Hey all...I was watching the opening part of the Virginia Tech football game today and noticed something kinda cool. When the team is about to rush out, the marching band lines up on either side and the team runs out inside of the band and then they play the school song. I think that would be sweet if the GSMB could do something similar!

Yeah, this whole year was definetly an experimental year. The band grew a lot more than what I think most of us had expected. The task for next year is to completly rewrite pregame and the plan right now is to include the team running through a "band tunnel", but keep an eye out for next year as we should be well prepared.

d3boys
11-07-2008, 02:50 PM

you will also see that next fall in ames against iowa state

BisBison
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM

We used to do that in Dakota Field. Then we had 120 or 130 in the band. I think they quit doing that when the band shrank to 80-85 as of late. On another subject, wait for the show at the SDSU game, it'll have different stuff than we've ever seen the GSMB do. I've bee sworn to silence by my son, but it'll be very cool.

mebisonII
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Someone tipped me off where I could find the last show on Facebook, and I was hugely impressed.

Actually, I saw a video labelled as being the GSMB, but they had modern uniforms, marched in step, formed at least a couple straight lines, and I recognized the shapes they formed, so I don't think that could have been the GSMB. At least that's not how we did it when I was involved*.

*mebison: Improving the quality of the GSMB by not participating since 2003.

Blue
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
We used to do that in Dakota Field. Then we had 120 or 130 in the band. I think they quit doing that when the band shrank to 80-85 as of late. On another subject, wait for the show at the SDSU game, it'll have different stuff than we've ever seen the GSMB do. I've bee sworn to silence by my son, but it'll be very cool.
Are they incorporating the Pride into their show? That would be sweet.:D
In seriousness, they are sending a 100 piece band up to Fargo for the game to show the GSMB how to do things:)

BigDeal
11-10-2008, 03:36 PM
In seriousness, they are sending a 100 piece band up to Fargo for the game to show the GSMB how to do things:)

Sorry, Blue, you're a year late on this one. You can't send 100 members to Fargo anymore and have them beat our band.

Blue
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry, Blue, you're a year late on this one. You can't send 100 members to Fargo anymore and have them beat our band.
We'll see;)

BisBison
11-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Glad to have a part of the Pride in the FFD, but they're not part of the GSMB's halftime show. FYI the days of an 80 piece GSMB are over as of this year. We're marching 160 this year and with a totally new look, uniforms, music and marching style. A welcome change. We've made great strides to what a D-I band should look and sound like.

imabison
11-10-2008, 05:43 PM
It nice to see that Sig is returning to the tradition of doing the exch with SDSU and the band. They used to do that before offert took over.

Glad to see it come back.

BigDeal
11-10-2008, 06:11 PM
It nice to see that Sig is returning to the tradition of doing the exch with SDSU and the band. They used to do that before offert took over.

Ultimately, athletics has the final say as to if a band can come or not. Is SDSU putting them at field level? I don't know where there is a block of 100 empty seats... well, aside from the student section.

mebisonII
11-10-2008, 08:17 PM

SDSU came (at least) once during Olfert's tenure as well. NDSU went to SDSU at least once during that period as well, before my time there. We also hosted UND at least once, and UC Davis as well, and traveled to UND, UNO and a few other in the early 2000s. I agree that such exchanges are good. Fun for the band and I like to think that the traveling fans enjoy having some extra support at away games.

Oh yeah, I remember that we went to USD once too....guess I've tried to block that trip (more specifically, that game :banghead: ) from my mind.

imabison
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
SDSU came (at least) once during Olfert's tenure as well. NDSU went to SDSU at least once during that period as well, before my time there. We also hosted UND at least once, and UC Davis as well, and traveled to UND, UNO and a few other in the early 2000s. I agree that such exchanges are good. Fun for the band and I like to think that the traveling fans enjoy having some extra support at away games.

Oh yeah, I remember that we went to USD once too....guess I've tried to block that trip (more specifically, that game :banghead: ) from my mind.
Ok sorry for badmouthing Offert. I just hate how he downgraded the GSMB over the years.

duluthbison
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok sorry for badmouthing Offert. I just hate how he downgraded the GSMB over the years.

What did Offert do? Last year was my first year at SU so I really don't know much about the man.

extremerouge
11-10-2008, 10:31 PM
We'll see;)
oooh I think we should have a band-off!

imabison
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
What did Offert do? Last year was my first year at SU so I really don't know much about the man.
When Offert was hired I heard from sources that he would not improve the program. The GSM quit for the most part, not all playing and marching. Isn't that what a marching band does?

He also was the person that bought the god awful red drums last year.

fargocyclone
11-11-2008, 01:26 AM

Anybody seen the movie 'Drumline'??

UTH
11-11-2008, 01:55 AM

But they can do Johnny Cash:hide:

extremerouge
11-11-2008, 01:58 AM
But they can do Johnny Cash:hide:
ring of fire?

UTH
11-11-2008, 02:13 AM
ring of fire?

Yes... and they made it sound good, too:hide:

*i hate the beatles. always have. it's either the nauseating hippy thing or overplay by the gsmb.:banghead: or maybe both

extremerouge
11-11-2008, 02:17 AM
My favorite version is the one sung at Anfield...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOX61YR5hk

BigBison
11-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Purdue did the Durm-Off thing from Durmline from one of there half time shows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en3iKvo8njY&feature=related

Hammersmith
11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
A question for current GSMB members(or those paying attention during pregame): Who's conducting Yellow & Green? On camera and from the back, it looks like Olfert. But that can't be correct, can it? Maybe Olfert just gave Sig that ugly green sports coat that seems to get handed down from director to director.

TbonZach
11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
A question for current GSMB members(or those paying attention during pregame): Who's conducting Yellow & Green? On camera and from the back, it looks like Olfert. But that can't be correct, can it? Maybe Olfert just gave Sig that ugly green sports coat that seems to get handed down from director to director.

Dr. Johnson conducts the Yellow and Green.* Olfert still conducts the SSB. All of the directors (including grad students) have the green coats this year.

*side note: the first time he did during rehearsal he called it the Green and Yellow. After some jeering from the band, he quickly learned of the error of his ways. :)

BigDeal
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Special thanks to the band member who has put up the 2008 season on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ndsu+gold+star+band&search_type=&aq=f

As an ex band member, its good to see that in the end, the band is back in good hands and thriving like it should.

Hammersmith
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Dr. Johnson conducts the Yellow and Green.* Olfert still conducts the SSB. All of the directors (including grad students) have the green coats this year.

*side note: the first time he did during rehearsal he called it the Green and Yellow. After some jeering from the band, he quickly learned of the error of his ways. :)

<smacks head>

It was the SSB I was thinking of, not Y&G. Thanks. (The head smack was for remembering that Bob Jones was singing even as I was typing the question.)

Dr. Dorothy would always get on the case of anyone saying green and gold. He would compare them to UND fans who conveniently forget one of their school colors is pink.

TbonZach
11-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Dr. Dorothy would always get on the case of anyone saying green and gold. He would compare them to UND fans who conveniently forget one of their school colors is pink.

:rofl: I'll have to remember that one! I always rip on people when they say green and gold. You guys are the exception. I know you guys know the real colors.

A few years back I was friends with one of the football cheerleaders and after a game I sent her an e-mail asking why they say green and gold. She said that it was because those are the school colors - she honestly thought they were the colors. :banghead: I lost it.

mebisonII
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
:rofl: I'll have to remember that one! I always rip on people when they say green and gold. You guys are the exception. I know you guys know the real colors.

A few years back I was friends with one of the football cheerleaders and after a game I sent her an e-mail asking why they say green and gold. She said that it was because those are the school colors - she honestly thought they were the colors. :banghead: I lost it.

Tbon, were you in the band yet a few years ago when we got in trouble for shouting "yellow" over the cheerleader's 'gold' during the "we say green, you say gold..." cheer at homecoming in the BSA? I think there was actually a semi-formal agreement that we would stop screwing up their cheers for the rest of the year, and they were supposed to change them to get the colors right the next game or year, or something like that.

TbonZach
11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Tbon, were you in the band yet a few years ago when we got in trouble for shouting "yellow" over the cheerleader's 'gold' during the "we say green, you say gold..." cheer at homecoming in the BSA? I think there was actually a semi-formal agreement that we would stop screwing up their cheers for the rest of the year, and they were supposed to change them to get the colors right the next game or year, or something like that.

I don't think I was. Apparently nothing grew to fruition from that.

sambini
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Loved your halftime show yesterday++++++++++++++

extremerouge
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Loved your halftime show yesterday++++++++++++++
yeah post traumatic funk syndrome is awesome

d3boys
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
was very entertaining
the female singer was way better then the malee counterpart, but it was a good show and the gsmb was very good also

BigDeal
11-24-2008, 02:08 AM

In seriousness, I hope The Pride took some notes last night on how to do a halftime show.

CarringtonBison
11-24-2008, 02:42 AM
halftime show yesterday was fantastic and kept a lot of fans in their seats.

scheelsguy
11-24-2008, 04:13 AM
I want to thank the new band director! The transformation of the show has been great. I'm starting to think that perhaps the Gold Star Marching Band actually could prove to be "The Pride of North Dakota" again.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I want to thank the new band director! The transformation of the show has been great. I'm starting to think that perhaps the Gold Star Marching Band actually could prove to be "The Pride of North Dakota" again.

I couldn't agree more!! GSMB was 100% better this year, looking for more increase in numbers next year

aces1180
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm definitely not a huge fan of the band, but they did a heck of a job on Saturday...It was nice to see something different than the music of Stix or REO Speedwagon.

tjbison
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm definitely not a huge fan of the band, but they did a heck of a job on Saturday...It was nice to see something different than the music of Stix or REO Speedwagon.

Journey also!!

BigDeal
11-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Journey also!!

Whatever! I have a hard time believing that half of you don't go to the Elks or the VFW on Friday nights and sing Don't Stop Believin'! Heck, the 6th graders I teach came into class one day singing that song.

extremerouge
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Whatever! I have a hard time believing that half of you don't go to the Elks or the VFW on Friday nights and sing Don't Stop Believin'! Heck, the 6th graders I teach came into class one day singing that song.
haha I love the VFW! and Journey!

imported_Bisongold
11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
I can't believe the turn-around in the GSMB only 3 months!! I thought the halftime was awesome. Can't wait to see what they come up with next year. It was obvious the kids are having alot more fun also!

missingnumber7
11-25-2008, 02:20 AM
GSMB was awesome this year. I found myself actually wanting to stay in my seat at halftime. Keep up the excellent work.

CarringtonBison
11-25-2008, 02:22 AM
haha I love the VFW! and Journey!

Heck ya, that is where I was tonight for 1.50 burgers and beers!!

BisBison
11-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Glad to see you coming around Aces. The kids spend a lot of time in rehersal and work real hard. Good to see positive comments. These transformations don't happen overnight, remember the new director just came on board this school year. Here's to looking to continued improvement in the coming years. :cheers:

sambini
11-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Keep it up GSMB +++++

HerdBot
11-27-2008, 05:37 AM

For the year they were better and the SDSU halftime show was great. Anyone know why they stopped putting mic's on the band? I liked the mic's because I could actually hear them on the opposite side of the dome.

TbonZach
11-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Anyone know why they stopped putting mic's on the band? I liked the mic's because I could actually hear them on the opposite side of the dome.

I know the mic's were physically there for the SDSU game. Whether or not they were used, that's a different story.

BisBison
11-28-2008, 02:58 AM
I know the mic's were physically there for the SDSU game. Whether or not they were used, that's a different story.

they weren't on.