WR-Heck, Belquist, Shultenover, Williams, Holloway
TE-Wurz, Brown, Veldman
LT-Ebel
LG-Arndt
C-Harrington, Septak
RG-Foster
RT-Buckman, Backowski

DE-Lardinois, Sharpe or Johnson
NG-Fairbairn, NDSCS transfer Thompson or is he a DT?
DT-Gratzek
DE-Compton, Boyer
WLB-Maresh, Anderson
MLB-Henery, Beson
SLB-Humber, Kittleson
RCB-Bowman, Agebetola
SS-Belmont, Lemon
FS-Schommer
RCB-Richardson, Colvin

P-????
K-Bibeau
LS-Curtis
KR/PR-Washingon, Williams

Returning starters in bold.

We definitely do need another QB and I don't know a whole about the O-line depth but besides that this team is built to win next year. Our defense should be solid and lots of depth all over the place.

bisoneer
11-18-2007, 06:28 PM
What will Mertens bring at QB compared to Walker? Ive seen him play a bit and it looks like he has a very strong arm. Can he scramble? Does he see the field well? Are his throws accurate? Can he throw the fade?

NDSUstudent
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
What will Mertens bring at QB compared to Walker? Ive seen him play a bit and it looks like he has a very strong arm. Can he scramble? Does he see the field well? Are his throws accurate? Can he throw the fade?

He is more athletic and has a better arm but thats about all I can tell you.

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I think next years team will be better. We're losing 11 this year. Next year it's 20. Next year is where we start seeing the benefits of Bohl's first recruiting class that can fight for a National Championship.

We're losing some big names but we do every year. Remember last year when we thought "how are we ever going to replace Travis White, Steffes, Dahl, and Frick. Well we did.

We run a complex offense and Mertens has been learning it for 3 years and he's one heck of a QB. He will add a running dimention. We'll be fine. Remember when we lost Bentrim we thought we were done? Enter Chris Simdorn. Tyler Henery is going to be a great middle linebacker to join Maersh and Humber. We've got a great receiving corps. We've got insane depth at running back. We've got Shamen. We've got great depth on O-line. We will kick some ass next year

bisonpride2k
11-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Mertens is a flat out athlete. He could turn those ten yard runs walker had into 20+. Rember he was the state player of the year in Minnesota. He throws a good ball. I dont think we will miss too much at QB. The underlying factor is if he will have the late game heroics that Walker had. Maybe we will be able to not have to rely on that. :praying:

NDSUFREAK
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
i'm getting excited about next year already....

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
i'm getting excited about next year already....

NICK MERTENS
Enters the 2007 season No. 2 on the quarterback depth chart ... Talented student-athlete who is gaining more confidence with the NDSU offensive system ... Gained valuable experience as the understudy to starter Steve Walker ... Will see increased work during the fall ... 2006 SEASON (FRESHMAN): Saw limited action in two games, but made the traveling squad for all six road contests ... Played for the short-handed Bison basketball team that was hit by injury late in the season ... 2005 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the season as a redshirt in the Bison program ... HIGH SCHOOL: 2004 Associated Press Player of the Year and finalist for Minnesota’s "Mr. Football" after leading East Grand Forks High School to the Class AAA state championship and 14-0 record ... First team Associated Press all-state quarterback for head coach Bruce Nelson ... Completed 150-of-242 passes for 2,459 yards, 36 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushed for 824 yards and 20 TDs on 171 carries ... Also handled punting, PAT and kickoff duties, averaging 35.6 yards on 28 punts ... Converted 26 PATs, four two-pointers and one field goal ... Credited with 144 tackles including 44 solos at strong safety ... Had three interceptions and five pass breakups ... Forced four fumbles and recovered three including one for a TD ... Two-time Northern Lakes Conference MVP (2003-04) ... Three-year all-conference pick ... Wendy’s Heisman finalist ... 2004 Grand Forks Herald and East Grand Forks Exponet Fall Athlete of the Year ... Three-time all-Grand Forks Herald team pick ... East Grand Forks went 31-4 during career ... During three-year career, completed 291-of-528 passes for 5,243 yards, 59 TDs and 21 interceptions ... Rushed for 1,846 yards and 45 TDs on 413 carries (4.47 ypc) ... Averaged 34.6 yards on 87 career punts and 44.7 yards on 147 kickoffs ... On defense, credited with 242 tackles including 96 solos and 2.5 sacks ... Finished with six interceptions, seven pass breakups, seven forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries ... On the basketball court, four-year starter and East Grand Forks’ all-time leading scorer ... Earned all-state second team honors last season ... Three-time all-city pick ... In track & field, competed in the triple jump (40’), 110 high hurdles (:16.5) and 300 hurdles (:43.5) ...

X-Factor
11-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Mertens' stats in college:

10/14 144 yards 71.4% 10.29PYA 1TD 0INT RAT 181.40

Most of that was against MVSU

I wouldn't be concerned about Mertens, the guy is going to light it up next year no doubt about it, but depth at QB IS a concern. Right now I would consider Parsons the #2 guy. Brecke just doesn't seem like a legit high level FCS QB to me. Parsons doesn't really fit our style of offense either, but he seems to be the better QB at this point. Maybe Bohl will look into a transfer or JUCO to add some depth, or a true freshman will really come out of the woodwork like Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards or Elon's QB this year.

Left Tackle is really the only starting spot on the whole team that concerns me the least bit. It is such an important spot protecting the QB's blind side. We have some great O-lineman but Safe was a rock solid tackle for a long time for SU. One of the younger guys must step up.

Austin Richards - gobison has him up to 350 lbs. That might be something of concern because I know the coaching staff was trying to get him to drop some weight. If he gets in shape he could be one of our best guards in a long time...as a redshirt freshman.

Special teams could be the biggest benefit for next year. It appears like there will be a lot more depth to work with.

tjbison
11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
QB-Mertens, Brecke
RB-Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe, McNorton :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:
FB-Jangula, Vandal
WR-Heck, Belquist, Shultenover, Williams, Holloway
TE-Wurz, Brown, Veldman
LT-Ebel
LG-Arndt
C-Harrington, Septak
RG-Foster
RT-Buckman, Backowski

DE-Lardinois, Sharpe or Johnson
NG-Fairbairn, NDSCS transfer Thompson or is he a DT?
DT-Gratzek
DE-Compton, Boyer
WLB-Maresh, Anderson
MLB-Henery, Beson
SLB-Humber, Kittleson
RCB-Bowman, Agebetola
SS-Belmont, Lemon
FS-Schommer
RCB-Richardson, Colvin

P-????
K-Bibeau
LS-Curtis
KR/PR-Washingon, Williams

Returning starters in bold.

We definitely do need another QB and I don't know a whole about the O-line depth but besides that this team is built to win next year. Our defense should be solid and lots of depth all over the place.

I like that lineup!! LOOK OUT GATEWAY!! I hope we don't need a punter:D GET YOUR SEASON TICKETS!! GO BISON!!

Man i can't wait till next year!!

bisonpride2k
11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Although he is no Drago the back up punter looks like he will be pretty good. We have had a long line of good punters for the past 15 years! Torrance, Pederson, Drago.

bisoneer
11-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Drago needs to relax on interviews, did you see the 60 second spot with him on todays Craig Bohl show? Funny!!!

Bison101
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
NEXT YEAR IS THE YEAR! With Mertens in QB, we will dominate on the offense. Roehl will pound it down the throat (the way he should have against SDSU), the defense will be ok, and Heckendorf, Wurzbacher, and Belquist will still be left and right. Let's turn the Gateway upside down.

onbison09
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
John Prelvitz is the punter. From Roseau, Minnesota.

Walked on to the NDSU program last fall ... 2006 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the season as a redshirt in the Bison program ... HIGH SCHOOL: 2006 graduate of Roseau High School ... Played tight end and defensive end for the Rams ... Earned all-Heart O’ Lake Conference honors as a senior ... On the ice, he was defenseman for the successful Roseau hockey program ... Also played baseball ... PERSONAL: Born July 4, 1988 ... Son of Dawn and Chris Knutson ... Majoring in business administration.

X-Factor
11-19-2007, 01:02 AM
NEXT YEAR IS THE YEAR! With Mertens in QB, we will dominate on the offense. Roehl will pound it down the throat (the way he should have against SDSU), the defense will be ok, and Heckendorf, Wurzbacher, and Belquist will still be left and right. Let's turn the Gateway upside down.

Considering that the defense is returning practically everybody and the guys we are losing(Mays, Earl, plus part timer's in Brown and Dallas) already have VERY capable replacements I will say that the defense will easily be the biggest change for next fall. Defense will be better than '06, mark it down. :nod: