PDA

View Full Version : To put everything in perspective

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Since everyone here seems to be so down, let me put this season in perspective and look into the future.

I hate to say it but this year WAS a lame duck season. Our last 2 senior classes could not compete in the playoffs. We couldn't go to the playoffs and the only way we were going to accomplish anything was in our own minds. Nevertheless we had a great year!

Most teams would half heart it. What did we do?

- We went 10-1 (20-2 over 2 years with our only 2 losses by a combined 7 points!)
- We held the longest winning streak in the NCAA!
- We beat 2 BCS teams including the 07 Mac champs!
- We got coverage on ESPN! We brought 30 grand to Minneapolis and dropped the hammer!
- We set attendance records & sold out all games except winless SUU (UND drew 5K for playoff game yesterday)
- We sold out 3 road games too! (we're a hot ticket)
- We put every home game on TV and expanded our radio network.
- We were on Fox Sports Net and the Big Ten Network!
- We were ranked #1 in the nation for most of the year!
- We brought 7,000 fans to SDSU and nearly 30,000 fans to Minneapolis. That is impressive!! Don't forget we only averaged 11,000 for home games 4 years ago!!
- We're getting quality recruits to committ early! Evans, Bourne-McFarland, and Offerman are going to be studs!
- Every high school kid in Minneapolis is aware of NDSU when 3 years ago they didn't even know we existed!
- Sid said we're a tough school to recruit against! (This after saying Minnesota beats us 80-0 3 years ago)
- We were the primary topic of discussion on PA & Dubay for about 1 week!
- We went undefeated at home and made steps in creating one of the most hostile and rockin' environments in D1AA!
- We actually spoke the words "Bowl Game." I mean seriously?
- Even after losing to SDSU, we would have made the playoffs and probably got a home dome playoff game. We finished as high as #5 and as low as #9.

C'mon folks! We're in the top ten in attendance and have taken everything to a higher level! If we continue at this pace, we are going to rival Montana! This team deserves a big ass mother bleepin applause!!

What can we look forward to next year??
- Next years team could be better. 22 seniors vs 11 this year.
- All games will be sold out
- All home games will be on TV
- Most road games will be on TV
- Gateway conference
- Respect and a high week 1 ranking next year
- National exposure will give us more recruits and possible BCS transfers.
- Gateway will give us expanded recruiting options in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Misouri, and Ohio! We will be on TV in those markets too.
- The first recruiting class that knew they could win a championship
- Exciting games! Who is not psyched to travel to UNI next year! Youngstown! Southern Illinois! SDSU at home!
- MEANINGFUL GAMES and a chance at a Championship!!!

Now is the time to go out and support the Bison because next year is when the REAL SEASON starts! Donations, support, and ticket sales go along way torward being successful.

Cheering extra loud and traveling to road games makes a big difference! Take tailgating to a higher level. Did you know we had more Bison fans travel to South Dakota than UND fans had for a home playoff game? Go out and buy your season tickets. If you can't afford season tickets, go out and buy tickets to every game when they go on sale. If you can afford it, go out and make a donation to athletics! You can specify that donations go directly toward something such as scholorships or pretty much anything. How about making a donation with the specific instructions the money goes to yellow thundersticks?!You can make donations at the NDSU alumni website http://www.ndsualumni.com . Media is huge! If local news coverage sucks than call them up and bitch. Call up the radio shows and talk Bison! Call up your local bar and ask them if the games will be on tv! Call up KFAN and talk Bison! Email the Star Tribune and ask for Bison coverage. How many alumni do we have from Minneapolis? Help make us visible so we can get Championship #9!

JackJD
11-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Gabe: you should add to the list "What We Have to Look Forward To", the Jackrabbits having to return to Fargo. Damn. So far, the Dakota Marker goes to the home team. How long has it been since the Jackrabbits won in Fargo? (I know the answer and don't like it).

You have a great team. You have great fans. You have always had the respect of SDSU's teams and fans. You will continue to have that respect.

There'll be another game. We'll try to beat you again but like today's game, I not betting.

Congrats on a great season. That Bison team will go down in your rich history as one of the best ever. SDSU's history will reflect the greatness of the NDSU program when today's game is recorded.

Bison_Backer
11-18-2007, 06:48 AM
no offense but who gives a shit if we lost. this is not for a playoff spot or seeding yeahd sdsu is a good team but our guys had nothing to play for. 11-0 and nothing we did our jobs and if this was for play off seeding we would have won by 14.
et k-
congrats to the players and especially the coaches we had an awesome season and next year you had better watch out, were the team to beat. Our guys were jsy,.... meh who cares dakiota marker means jack shit.

btw: flicker tails your going to get k-@#$@#$#@ next year while we run the tables

SirHinn
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
no offense but who gives a shit if we lost. this is not for a playoff spot or seeding yeahd sdsu is a good team but our guys had nothing to play for. 11-0 and nothing we did our jobs and if this was for play off seeding we would have won by 14.
et k-
congrats to the players and especially the coaches we had an awesome season and next year you had better watch out, were the team to beat. Our guys were jsy,.... meh who cares dakiota marker means jack shit.

btw: flicker tails your going to get k-@#$@#$#@ next year while we run the tables

Had nothing to play for? The perfect season? Pride? The Dakota Marker? Dakota marker means jack shit? If none of that means nothing, what's the point of any games then the past few years? Talk about a Bitter Bison fan who shouldn't be reflected on the rest of us. People like you make me sick to my stomach.
Congrats to the Bison on a successful season, the seniors this year were the class who ultimately lead the Bison to future national championships. Let's not say all the work they've done the past 4 years was for nothing, the seniors deserve more then that.

Bison"FANatic"
11-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Great post Gabe.

We had one heck of year. Those young men on the field played one heck of a season. They left us with some great memories and Bison football is light years ahead of a few years ago. The fans in the stand had one heck of a year. Stand up and be proud bison fans we have a lot to be proud of.

This is where the class of a program and it fans takes effect, celebrate the wins, mourn the losses but still hold our heads high and celebrate what has been accomplished.

MHDBisonfan
11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree - the last couple years of Bison players are a huge reason why this whole moving to DI thing is working! I remember sitting in the dome at the end of the season a few years ago during that 2-8 debacle looking around at 5000 fans, and yes, I'll admit, the thought of going DI when we couldn't even win at the DII level gave reason to doubt, but Coach Bohl, his staff, and the players have totally turned us around. The buzz is back in Fargo for Bison football, just like it was in the mid to late 80's when I was a student at NDSU and we just expected a national championship every year! Does anyone at this point not expect a national championship in the near future?! You can thank all those guys listed above for restoring Bison pride! Also, let's give some props to our partner in this whole deal - SDSU - I also remember before this whole move, that football was pretty low on the radar for Jacks fans, now they are also becoming a national power, and our rivalry game with SDSU I believe is one of mutual respect, not one of hate, like our previous rival. If NDSU doesn't win in something, I hope that SDSU does - I can't say that about our old rivals, I wanted them to lose every game in every sport - and still do!

BisonFB
11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
We're 10-1, SDSU is 7-4, they win the conference. That sucks, not for us, but for our players that fought so hard all season long and with one last game lose so much.

I'mWithNOSIB
11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Gabe couldnt have summed it up better. Yesterday was a tough loss. SDSU had more heart and were hitting hard. I have never seen a team hand it to our O-line like they did.

This year was an awesome year. This being my first year in Fargo and my first year as an NDSU fan, I look forward to many many many great games and seasons to come. I'm proud to be amongst the Bison Faithful.

brewcityboy
11-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Since everyone here seems to be so down, let me put this season in perspective and look into the future.

I hate to say it but this year WAS a lame duck season. Our last 2 senior classes could not compete in the playoffs. We couldn't go to the playoffs and the only way we were going to accomplish anything was in our own minds.

Most teams would half heart it. What did we do?

- We went 10-1
- We held the longest winning streak in the NCAA!
- We beat 2 BCS teams including the 07 Mac champs!
- We got coverage on ESPN.
- We set attendance records & sold out all games except winless SUU
- Sold out 3 road games too! (we're a hot ticket)
- We put every home game on TV and expanded our radio network.
- We were on Fox Sports Net
- We were ranked #1 in the nation for most of the year.
- We brought 7,000 fans to SDSU and 30,000 to Mpsls when we only averaged 11,000 for home games 4 years ago
- We're getting quality recruits to committ early
- Every high school kid in Minneapolis is aware of NDSU when 3 years ago they didn't even know we existed!
- Sid said we're a tough school to recruit against! (This after saying Minnesota beats us 80-0 3 years ago)
- We actually spoke the words "Bowl Game."

C'mon folks! We're in the top ten in attendance and have taken everything to a higher level! If we continue at this pace, we are going to rival Montana! This team deserves a big ass mother bleepin applause!!

What can we look forward to next year??
- Next years team could be better. 22 seniors vs 11 this year.
- All games will be sold out
- All home games will be on TV
- Most road games will be on TV
- Gateway conference
- Respect and a high week 1 ranking next year
- National exposure will give us more recruits
- Gateway will give us expanded recruiting options in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Misouri, and Ohio! We will be on TV in those markets too.
- The first recruiting class that knew they could win a championship
- Exciting games! Who is not psyched to travel to UNI next year! Youngstown! Southern Illinois! SDSU at home!
- MEANINGFUL GAMES and a chance at a Championship!!!

Exactly!!! 10-1 is a unbelieve season and they really put the program on the map this year!

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Had nothing to play for? The perfect season? Pride? The Dakota Marker? Dakota marker means jack shit? If none of that means nothing, what's the point of any games then the past few years? Talk about a Bitter Bison fan who shouldn't be reflected on the rest of us. People like you make me sick to my stomach.
Congrats to the Bison on a successful season, the seniors this year were the class who ultimately lead the Bison to future national championships. Let's not say all the work they've done the past 4 years was for nothing, the seniors deserve more then that.

Even after the loss, we would have made the playoffs so the season still would have been meaningful. Going undefeated and finishing the season undefeated and #1 is something that just doesn't happen very often.

We definately HAD something to play for. Pride, the Dakota marker, Conference Championship, and a chance to finish the season at #1. Bottom line is it really wouldn't have meant much since we can't go to the playoffs. It was all for show.

Most importantly, we laid the foundation for the future teams that will add to our 8 National Championships! We made NDSU a desirable place to play college football at! One thing for sure... EVERYONE knows who we are!

wisconsinbisonfan
11-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Gabe. Your post helps. I hope Steve Walker and the entire team, coaches, etc. know how much we appreciate them.

Tatanka
11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
plus plus.

IBleedYellow
11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
We played our best (most consistant) football in the middle of the season. They were primed for a loss sooner or later. Sadly. Was a GREAT season though. Can't wait for next year.

wisconsinbisonfan
11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I wasn't around for the start of the D-1 move, but it seems like SDSU was our partner along the way. I hope the best for them.

bisoneer
11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
It really was an awesome year and hats off to the seniors and the coaching staff for bringing it to all of us die hard fans. This years team had me feeling proud, pacing the floor or spittin sunseeds out the window of my tractor listening to the games, it is just plain old fun watching or listening to the games. The last 2 yrs. has really put Fargo and NDSU on the map, I'm getting season tickets and joining the teammakers for next year even if I can only get to a couple of games it will be worth it.

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
It really was an awesome year and hats off to the seniors and the coaching staff for bringing it to all of us die hard fans. This years team had me feeling proud, pacing the floor or spittin sunseeds out the window of my tractor listening to the games, it is just plain old fun watching or listening to the games. The last 2 yrs. has really put Fargo and NDSU on the map, I'm getting season tickets and joining the teammakers for next year even if I can only get to a couple of games it will be worth it.

We are on the map before the games count.

roadwarrior
11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
One thing is for sure, and that is the Bison football fans took it to the next level in 2007! Selling out four home games and seeing all of the green in Minneapolis and Brookings was hard to imagine several years ago! Hopefully the fans will continue their strong following next fall. There is a chance that we will have seven home football games next fall! And with the Gateway road contests closer than Great West games were, hopefully we will see some large numbers of fans at the Gateway games next fall.

The 3 Gateway officials in attendance at the game in Brookings must have been amazed at the number of Bison fans at the game!

Mr. Burgundy
11-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Did SDU have recruits in house last weekend in front of 3300 people or this weekend against the Bison when we had more fans than they did? Just wondering what a potential recruit would think? "Darn, they gave me this free tee shirt and bought me a hot dog, but the Bison are packing this crib."

Walrus
11-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Gabe: you should add to the list "What We Have to Look Forward To", the Jackrabbits having to return to Fargo. Damn. So far, the Dakota Marker goes to the home team. How long has it been since the Jackrabbits won in Fargo? (I know the answer and don't like it).

You have a great team. You have great fans. You have always had the respect of SDSU's teams and fans. You will continue to have that respect.

There'll be another game. We'll try to beat you again but like today's game, I not betting.

Congrats on a great season. That Bison team will go down in your rich history as one of the best ever. SDSU's history will reflect the greatness of the NDSU program when today's game is recorded.

Agreed, absolutely.

Hammerhead
11-19-2007, 02:26 AM
20-2 in the last 2 years is nothing to be ashamed of.

My wife and I are tentatively planning a trip back to Fargo sometime next fall to see our first Bison game in person since the 1995 playoff game in Grand Forks.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Did SDU have recruits in house last weekend in front of 3300 people or this weekend against the Bison when we had more fans than they did? Just wondering what a potential recruit would think? "Darn, they gave me this free tee shirt and bought me a hot dog, but the Bison are packing this crib."

Bolded above = not true

I bet they were thinking, "Damn, if SDSU can beat NDSU with what they have now, I wonder how they will own them when they are fully funded and have a new 12 million dollar football complex in two years and a Stadium upgrade to follow."

Mr. Burgundy
11-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Do the players run onto the field from a double wide trailer? If so, I hope that is the first thing to be renovated. Congrats on the huge donation, that will really improve things in Brookings. I continue to be shocked at how good SDSU does in such a small town....by comparison. They are very competitive in all sports.

HerdBot
11-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Bolded above = not true

I bet they were thinking, "Damn, if SDSU can beat NDSU with what they have now, I wonder how they will own them when they are fully funded and have a new 12 million dollar football complex in two years and a Stadium upgrade to follow."

Or they would be thinking... "It's REALLY going to look empty in here when they build the new complex! I'm kidding! Maybe, "With those new bleachers, NDSU can actually have MORE fans! I'm kidding again! We're fully funded but I think it's only for a couple of classes so we're not seeing the full benefit of max scholorships either. In the next 2 years we will see the difference. Especially in depth.

jimmyjack
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM

There were 50 recruits there from all over the country. And I'm told that they were completely wowed. Wait until signing day. We'll do all right.

HerdBot
11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
There were 50 recruits there from all over the country. And I'm told that they were completely wowed. Wait until signing day. We'll do all right.

I guarantee you they were wowed because I was wowed by the atmosphere. Being a rivalry game with 7,000 NDSU fans added to it. I think it helped both schools because if your a recruit, you have to be impressed by the 7,000 traveling Bison fans.

bisonhusker
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
If both schools are recruiting you, and you see almost half the crowd is a visiting crowd....that isn't good for SDSU. If they are recruiting against anyone other than NDSU, it was very good for them. But, they will take an on campus visit with us at some point as well. We don't need to show them a rivalry game to show them a D1 environment.

jackrabbit1979
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
If both schools are recruiting you, and you see almost half the crowd is a visiting crowd....that isn't good for SDSU. If they are recruiting against anyone other than NDSU, it was very good for them. But, they will take an on campus visit with us at some point as well. We don't need to show them a rivalry game to show them a D1 environment.

Neither do we. We had three games early in the season that had comparable (just slightly less) crowds to the NDSU game made up of entirely jackrabbit fans. I know the rabbits and bison don't go up against each other extremely often in recruiting as they look primarily in different directions (SDSU=IA,NE,MN,AZ and NDSU=MN, WI, IL etc) but each school has one there fair share of battles. I can name a handful that have chosen NDSU in the past few years and also a handful that are at SDSU.

bisonhusker
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Please name the kids that chose SDSU over NDSU when both schools offered full rides. I would be interested to see the names. Thanks.

footballfan
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
bisonhusker,

Our DT #97 choose SDSU over NDSU

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!

X-Factor
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Please name the kids that chose SDSU over NDSU when both schools offered full rides. I would be interested to see the names. Thanks.

There are few. The vast majority of recruiting wars are being won by NDSU right now. Quite a few South Dakota guys on our roster and they are quite talented as well. :D

Kyle Minnett (RTR?) was one of the guys the Bison were after that chose SDSU. We offered Pete Blincoe when he signed with SDSU. I am sure he will do well next year (Minnett).

jackrabbit1979
11-20-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm pretty sure you can add Kyle Minette and Jake Steffan to that list. The idiot bison fans behind us said our junior QB Ryan Berry was offered a scholarship at NDSU too but didn't want to play behind walker, so chose SDSU...but I wouldn't believe anything that came from them. I'm sure there are others that you could identify through a little research or other posters. Do you want more?

I forgot about incoming SDSU verbal, QB from Winona, MN Tommy O'Brien. I am pretty sure he was offered at both schools, can anybody confirm?

jackrabbit1979
11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
bisonhusker,

Our DT #97 choose SDSU over NDSU

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!

and thank goodness for that football fan, he is a warrior!

bisonhusker
11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Last year Bohl stated at the signing day party that something like 20 of the 21 scholarships that were offered were signed. That is an absolutely unreal number. You do have a point though, sometimes NDSU has so much depth at a certain position, that they would rather chose a lesser school in order to play more/quicker. I understand that. That is how Minnesota gets some kids against other Big Ten schools. We will continue to use SD as a recruiting hotbed for Bison athletics. The moment you come into ND and get a ND kid to go to SDSU (that we have offered), I will drive to SD and buy drinks. Again, you field a competitive team, it just shocks me how you get the kids to Brookings.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Well said right there....and perfect example:

Me "Why NDSU?"
Steve Walker "I fell in love with Fargo"

So, that right there shows you we have what it takes to get the players here!

jackrabbit1979
11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Last year Bohl stated at the signing day party that something like 20 of the 21 scholarships that were offered were signed. That is an absolutely unreal number. You do have a point though, sometimes NDSU has so much depth at a certain position, that they would rather chose a lesser school in order to play more/quicker. I understand that. That is how Minnesota gets some kids against other Big Ten schools. We will continue to use SD as a recruiting hotbed for Bison athletics. The moment you come into ND and get a ND kid to go to SDSU (that we have offered), I will drive to SD and buy drinks. Again, you field a competitive team, it just shocks me how you get the kids to Brookings.

Point taken. I would imagine you can recruit almost any athlete you want with the advantages you have right now (that one you lost last year is wearing yellow and blue). I wonder what will happen when SDSU starts to catch up over the next two years in facilities, locker rooms, team rooms and scholarships. It would worry me that we are competing on the field with you now when we are so handicapped by everything you point out...we must be able to identify diamonds in the rough that NDSU doesn't want or develop our players better once they get to SDSU, I just don't know? Maybe it's coaching that makes the difference or maybe just the rivalry game?

Do you really consider SD one of your recruiting hot beds? You have four football players on your roster from SD (about 4% of your team), one MBB player who very well might have chosen SDSU if we hadn't given his scholarship away while he was playing the field, and a couple WBB players that AJ didn't offer.

I don't know if our coaches even recruit ND, I don't remember any ND athletes on our rosters. In fact, the university doesn't recruit ND much either...our educational opportunities are just too closely tied to what is offered at a lower price for in state kids at NDSU. Besides the fact that your high school student and student athlete population is shrinking faster than a "peter" in cold water.

And believe me, I know the struggle of trying to recruit kids to a town like Brookings. It is a lot of work to get a kid to come from Sioux Falls, or the Twin Cities, or Omaha. But a lot of times once they are here they really enjoy it. And you do realize that not every student or student athlete wants or needs the larger city environment for their college experience. While I'm positive there are great athletes in large metro areas, there are plenty of great students and athletes in small towns in MN, IA, NE, SD, WI, IL, AZ, and other places that feel comfortable and enjoy that environment.

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Point taken. I would imagine you can recruit almost any athlete you want with the advantages you have right now (that one you lost last year is wearing yellow and blue). I wonder what will happen when SDSU starts to catch up over the next two years in facilities, locker rooms, team rooms and scholarships. It would worry me that we are competing on the field with you now when we are so handicapped by everything you point out...we must be able to identify diamonds in the rough that NDSU doesn't want or develop our players better once they get to SDSU, I just don't know? Maybe it's coaching that makes the difference or maybe just the rivalry game?

Do you really consider SD one of your recruiting hot beds? You have four football players on your roster from SD (about 4% of your team), one MBB player who very well might have chosen SDSU if we hadn't given his scholarship away while he was playing the field, and a couple WBB players that AJ didn't offer.

I don't know if our coaches even recruit ND, I don't remember any ND athletes on our rosters. In fact, the university doesn't recruit ND much either...our educational opportunities are just too closely tied to what is offered at a lower price for in state kids at NDSU. Besides the fact that your high school student and student athlete population is shrinking faster than a "peter" in cold water.

And believe me, I know the struggle of trying to recruit kids to a town like Brookings. It is a lot of work to get a kid to come from Sioux Falls, or the Twin Cities, or Omaha. But a lot of times once they are here they really enjoy it. And you do realize that not every student or student athlete wants or needs the larger city environment for their college experience. While I'm positive there are great athletes in large metro areas, there are plenty of great students and athletes in small towns in MN, IA, NE, SD, WI, IL, AZ, and other places that feel comfortable and enjoy that environment.

You guys should take recruits to that place by the BP Amoco by the interstate. Don't they have a trailer park tour where if you drink 12 nasty flavors of beer you get on a plaque. I vaguely remember doing something like that in Brookings when I was younger. Anyway, my point is that was a blast.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't NDSU 20-2 over the past two seasons and SDSU 14-8? Sure you won a game against us but I think the overall records speak for themselves. SDSU has always been a decent program but has yet to put togather what somebody would call a complete season in the FCS and was always medicore in DII.

I wish you guys all the luck in the world in fixing up your facilities but you do realize we aren't going to be standing still here up north. While SDSU is playing catch-up with facilities, our Admin is taking our media coverage to a whole new level.

99Bison
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Point taken. I wonder what will happen when SDSU starts to catch up over the next two years in facilities and scholarships. It would worry me that we are competing on the field with you now when we are so handicapped by everything you point out...we must be able to identify diamonds in the rough that NDSU doesn't want or develop our players better once they get to SDSU, I just don't know? Maybe it's coaching that makes the difference or maybe just the rivalry game?

Sorry, but this was kind of a funny post... I don't even know where to begin with tradition, facilities and scholarships comments so I won't even comment.

First of all there are a lot of kids out there and percentage wise and a "do I go to NDSU or SDSU" stand alone debate is pretty rare. That being said, as for competing on the field, sorry but the caliber of teams is quite different - as you state the fact that it's a rivalry game makes a huge difference. As everyone and their brother states since it's a rivalry game you can through everything else out the window. We saw the same thing with the former 'rivalry' where the whole goal of a rivals season originally was to beat you, not to win a N/C. Put mental pressure on the favorite and a nothing to lose, everything to gain for the underdog, throw in rivalry and you have a more even matchup than would be otherwise.

Ricky Bobby
11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
First off congrats on the win and the much needed new facilities for the future. I admit that it is going to help with your recruiting in the future.

However, as for recruiting presently, it is rare you are going to beat the Bison in a recruiting battle. The best example I can give you is presently you have 0 North Dakotans on your roster and we have 5 South Dakotans on our roster. Until you start pulling some of our best players out of North Dakota (Roehl for example), you are going to lose the recruiting battle against the Bison. Both Gerry Ebel and Colten Boyer are going to be starters for NDSU and are South Dakotans.

IL_Bison
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM

The win by SDSU on Saturday certainly does not worry me. The series has been fairly even and very competitive for quite awhile (last 10 years or so, IMHO). The main difference is that NDSU had more successful seasons as a whole as far as playoff appearances and overall records. Recruiting competition is never going to go away...and the fact that SDSU has made upgrades is wonderful for them and will make recruiting easier for SDSU.

It appears that NDSU and SDSU compete for MN kids, primarily, and SDSU's facility upgrades will level that playing field. In fact, the 2 schools have some pretty divergent recruiting territories. However, there are so many intangibles involved with recruiting beyond facilities (coaching staff, playing time, etc.). Both universities need to continue to improve and we'll see how it plays out. However, I disagree with your statement that SDSU develops players better or is better at identifying talent just because SDSU won on Saturday.

bisonmike2
11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
I think SDSU might have an recruiting advantage with their Coach. He's been there forever and doesn't look like he'll be leaving anytime soon. Bohl's always going to be fighting rumors of him leaving.

Thundering_Herd
11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm sure the Gophers are regretting not recruiting T.Roehl! There are certainly some great athletes in ND.

As far as facilities go........I'm sure it will be nice when SDSU completes their project at C-A Stadium. Will it compare to NDSU's? Probably not. I recall the radio interview last season with former NFL kicker Nick Lowery when he was in Fargo. He was raving about the NDSU facilities. He said the locker rooms, workout rooms, strength training facilities, etc... were better than that of the AZ Cardinals of the NFL. Perhaps that was prior to AZ getting their new facilities, but nevertheless the outstanding facilities at NDSU are sure to help attract great athletes for years to come.

99Bison
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I think SDSU might have an recruiting advantage with their Coach. He's been there forever and doesn't look like he'll be leaving anytime soon. Bohl's always going to be fighting rumors of him leaving.

As will always be the case at NDSU vs. other local schools.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 01:00 AM

In the 80's we didn't lose recruits and we changed coaches like underwear. Won 6 Championships too. Coach is important but the team is top notch. Joe Mays and Walker were recruited by Babich and who would have known?

tcbison
11-21-2007, 01:04 AM
In the 80's we didn't lose recruits and we changed coaches like underwear. Won 6 Championships too.

Very true.

HerdBot
11-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Very true.

And SDSU had gone through less coaches than us and have not won in Fargi since 1963

bisonhusker
11-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Is it true that SDSU hasn't won here since 1963? Seriously? I guess it simply is not a rivalry. It takes us to fill their crib to set a record, and they haven't won here since the early 60's???? Wow.

SDbison
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Is it true that SDSU hasn't won here since 1963? Seriously? I guess it simply is not a rivalry. It takes us to fill their crib to set a record, and they haven't won here since the early 60's???? Wow.
Good call bisonhusker. Last Saturday's victory for SDSU was so big there were SDSU fans coming out everywhere. Will see if it means any of them will become full time fans. Brookings is a dump and I can't see why anyone would want to go there let alone the athletes.
Sorry folks, but if I sound a little pissy about SDSU on this board it is due to several days of hearing half ass SDSU fans give me crap at work in Sioux Falls. I mean, I asked many of them about SDSU all season and even before the NDSU game what they thought of the Jacks. etc. Nothing. Are they going to games? No. A week ago I even said I thought SDSU had a good chance against NDSU and if NDSU tried another comeback game they would lose. For the past two years I never said a thing when NDSU won. Now you would think SDSU has 50 football fans where I work. They were waiting before I even got my key in the office door. At first it was cute, but then they started putting up posters everywhere indicating I am now an SDSU fan, etc. The visits in the hallway, comments during meetings and stops by my office see if the loser NDSU fan is OK. Thank God for Thanksgiving since the break will hopefully bring an end to this.
Just remember, most on this board went back to North Dakota or elsewhere after the game and could deal with the loss with other fans. I have had to endure daily doses of crap from bandwagon Jacks fans that act like they just won a National Championship. After this I really don't care if I ever say a good word about SDSU.

Bisonguy
11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Good call bisonhusker. Last Saturday's victory for SDSU was so big there were SDSU fans coming out everywhere. Will see if it means any of them will become full time fans. Brookings is a dump and I can't see why anyone would want to go there let alone the athletes.
Sorry folks, but if I sound a little pissy about SDSU on this board it is due to several days of hearing half ass SDSU fans give me crap at work in Sioux Falls. I mean, I asked many of them about SDSU all season and even before the NDSU game what they thought of the Jacks. etc. Nothing. Are they going to games? No. A week ago I even said I thought SDSU had a good chance against NDSU and if NDSU tried another comeback game they would lose. For the past two years I never said a thing when NDSU won. Now you would think SDSU has 50 football fans where I work. They were waiting before I even got my key in the office door. At first it was cute, but then they started putting up posters everywhere indicating I am now an SDSU fan, etc. The visits in the hallway, comments during meetings and stops by my office see if the loser NDSU fan is OK. Thank God for Thanksgiving since the break will hopefully bring an end to this.
Just remember, most on this board went back to North Dakota or elsewhere after the game and could deal with the loss with other fans. I have had to endure daily doses of crap from bandwagon Jacks fans that act like they just won a National Championship. After this I really don't care if I ever say a good word about SDSU.

I would make a list of those bandwagon jumpers, and make sure to give them payback next year. :nod:

56BISON73
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Obviously they know how to jerk your chain. The key is to not let them know that they are. :nod: PL

jimmyjack
11-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Wow, what a mature attitude. Reminds me of the way USD fans behave (and it probably reminds a few here of UND fans). I was hoping we left all of that stupidity behind, but apparently it lives on in a small minority of NDSU fans. From what I've seen here and at the game, NDSU has great fans who respect SDSU as SDSU fans respect NDSU. But apparently a very few of you can't rise above one game.

We averaged 11,218 (67,309 for six games) for football this year. Take away the NDSU game, and we still averaged 10,192 (50,964 for five games) for the rest. Not so bad, and either would have been record attendance for us. We're drawing fans from a much wider area, and I would add that merchandise sales in Sioux Falls have quadrupled in the last two years. We're creating a fan base. We don't have the history that NDSU has. I'd say your workplace is going to become more uncomfortable for you, not less. I'm guessing their reaction to you has been exaggerated because of your reactions to them... if this post is any indication.

I don't know why you take all of this so personally. It's just one football game. Your team has had a great two year run, and there's no doubt NDSU will be a favorite to win the Gateway next year. I'd be feeling pretty good if I was you, not ripping on your transition partners.

UTH
11-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Obviously they know how to jerk your chain. The key is to not let them know that they are. :nod: PL

There might be a little wisdom in this post.:nod:

SiouxFallsJack
11-22-2007, 04:16 AM

Chill out a little dude....think back to happier times during this past season. You guys beat 10 other teams including the gophers be happy with that. When your SDSU coworkers are giving you crap, think back to the gopher game and what it was like to be one of the 30,000 Bison fans present to see the Bison beat the gophers. I hope this can ease the pain of losing to SDSU this year.

NDSUFREAK
11-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Chill out a little dude....think back to happier times during this past season. You guys beat 10 other teams including the gophers be happy with that. When your SDSU coworkers are giving you crap, think back to the gopher game and what it was like to be one of the 30,000 Bison fans present to see the Bison beat the gophers. I hope this can ease the pain of losing to SDSU this year.
yeahhh...SDBison couldn't be at the dome then so thats a sour subject :)

extremerouge
11-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm sure the Gophers are regretting not recruiting T.Roehl! There are certainly some great athletes in ND.

Not in Brewster's mind...:smh:

elkmcc
11-22-2007, 05:40 PM
C'mon folks! We're in the top ten in attendance and have taken everything to a higher level! If we continue at this pace, we are going to rival Montana!

Well stated and nicely put. :) Congrats on the great season Bison fans.