PDA

View Full Version : Biggest rivalry in the Dakotas?? You bet!!

TheBisonator
11-18-2007, 03:23 AM
If you're a Bison or a Jacks fan, and a fan of your respective UXD tells you that they're your biggest rival...

Record NDSU crowd: 19,053 - South Dakota State 11/18/2006
Record SDSU crowd: 16,345 - North Dakota State 11/17/2007

In my opinion, today's game was the game in history where the XDSU's completely left their UXD counterparts in the dust as far as rivalries go.

This is our biggest rival, Bison fans. I have had more fun at each of the last 4 Marker games than I did at the last Bison/Sioux game in 2003.

You may not think SDSU is our truest rival, but I say let the numbers speak for themselves.

If I could take away one good thing about this loss today, it's that the rivalry is now officially two-sided. This win for the bunnies gave them a lot of confidence in this matchup, and now this is a game that either team could win on any given year.

This is the big one, folks. NDSU/UND was buried today.

97tegls
11-18-2007, 03:27 AM
yea i will have to agree... we all know that ndsu is the best in nd but to be the best in the dakotas i think is even bigger... i was thinking today too that people were saying that und and ndsu was a bigger rival look at the numbers... we set a record for them today in attendance and last year they set a record for the dome... damn... i am glad we have a good rivalry going like 2-2 and hopefully we can make it 3-2 against the jacks next year on our home field...

TheBisonator
11-18-2007, 03:30 AM
yea i will have to agree... we all know that ndsu is the best in nd but to be the best in the dakotas i think is even bigger... i was thinking today too that people were saying that und and ndsu was a bigger rival look at the numbers... we set a record for them today in attendance and last year they set a record for the dome... damn... i am glad we have a good rivalry going like 2-2 and hopefully we can make it 3-2 against the jacks next year on our home field...

All Dakota Marker winners have been at home so far. I have a feeling next November, we'll beat the Bunnies at the Dome and clinch the Gateway crown at the same time.:D

chuckles
11-18-2007, 03:36 AM
this rivalry has one element the past hasn't....RESPECT on both sides! Its not that hostile enviroment where neither side gets along with each other. Sitting in J-K-L stands there were several SDSU fans mixed in. We each cheered for our team and didn't start to attack each other...we just got along and enjoyed the game.

On the way out of the parking lot, a Jacks fan rolled down his window, so we did the same and he told us good game and have a safe trip back....CLASSY!

TheDoctor
11-18-2007, 03:48 AM
The thing I love about this rivalry is that it is more of a brotherly sibling rivalry. I HATE UND for $hitting on us and I will NEVER get over that. I wanted to win today, I cheered like hell and I congratulated their fans on the way out. As the guy (SDSU fan) sitting next to me said "We are joined at the hips and we have helped each other transition pretty smoothly through these years. Screw the UXD's!" And he couldn't be more true. There was true respect, not hatred out there today and thats why you enjoyed it more. You want to talk about respect amongst fans, let alone teams? After the game we piled into the Expedition and stopped at a nice little restaurant next door to KFC (it's kind of like a Culvers). Anyway, the SDSU QB was there with his wife and son eating aswell. He greeted Joe, told him that we were tougher than (and would beat) UNI and Joe congratulated him on the win. They talked for a while while the rest of us ate. Joe must have mentioned to him that his daughter was turning 3 tomorrow, because he went and got his son and brought him over to the table to wish Joi (Joe's daughter) a happy birthday and tell her that he'll be 3 in a couple months too. It was very cool to see a guy that just beat us AND just got his clocked cleaned by Joe several times today go out of his way to greet and talk with him and of course Joe was great to him as as well. Thanks for a great season and a great game today. I wouldn't change a thing about this year. GO BISON!

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 04:02 AM
A-FREAKIN-MEN! This is one intense rivaly and if you were there you would know what I'm talkin' about! Record crowds despite the cold. Bison fans trying to drone out Jack fan chants. Hard core tailgating! The fans running on to the field. Oh, and one of the most exciting games I've seen in years! This leaves any UND game in the dust. And as the other poster stated, it's not a hatred rivalry. I drank with Jacks fans and they are pretty cool!

TheBisonator
11-18-2007, 04:11 AM
A-FREAKIN-MEN! This is one intense rivaly and if you were there you would know what I'm talkin' about! Record crowds despite the cold. Bison fans trying to drone out Jack fan chants. Hard core tailgating! The fans running on to the field. Oh, and one of the most exciting games I've seen in years! This leaves any UND game in the dust. And as the other poster stated, it's not a hatred rivalry. I drank with Jacks fans and they are pretty cool!

Jacks fans are our kind of people. They're not stuffy, smug, arrogant elitists like UND fans.

fightinbison
11-18-2007, 04:14 AM
NDSU vs SDSU is a good rivalary....

But you guys are all too young...... You can not erase 100 years + of history in a short 5 years......You need to understand the importance of where we came from, in order to appreciate the what the future holds.

Great Season to Coach Bohl and the Boys....

TheDoctor
11-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Jacks fans are our kind of people. They're not stuffy, smug, arrogant elitists like UND fans.

:rofl:U:rofl:N:rofl:D:rofl:

NDSUFREAK
11-18-2007, 04:16 AM
this rivalry has one element the past hasn't....RESPECT on both sides! Its not that hostile enviroment where neither side gets along with each other. Sitting in J-K-L stands there were several SDSU fans mixed in. We each cheered for our team and didn't start to attack each other...we just got along and enjoyed the game.

On the way out of the parking lot, a Jacks fan rolled down his window, so we did the same and he told us good game and have a safe trip back....CLASSY!
totally opposite in the ga IMHO.....but i don't like sdsu now because of those idiot fans standing infront of us

TheDoctor
11-18-2007, 04:19 AM
totally opposite in the ga IMHO.....but i don't like sdsu now because of those idiot fans standing infront of us

There were SDSU fans in the GA?????? I was sitting in K and everywhere I could see (both endzones and the whole east side) there was NOTHING but Bison! ;)

NDSUFREAK
11-18-2007, 04:24 AM
There were SDSU fans in the GA?????? I was sitting in K and everywhere I could see (both endzones and the whole east side) there was NOTHING but Bison! ;)
oh yeah.....you know where the fence was where other people were standing and watching? That is where those asshole bunny fans we standing and dancing like retards on the first downs. Well, the people infront of us just blew their horns right at them, threw some mama jokes at them and how they had sex with their cousins so it was all good. :rofl: I will say a lot of F bombs were thrown out because of the sh*t refereeing today

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2007, 04:35 AM

But you guys are all too young...... You can not erase 100 years + of history in a short 5 years......You need to understand the importance of where we came from, in order to appreciate the what the future holds.

Great insight! The xSDs are a part of our (xDSU) history. It wasn't always an atmosphere of 'hate' with negative leadership from the admin. Perhaps we can get over this part of our history also?

UTH
11-18-2007, 04:38 AM
Great insight! The xSDs are a part of our (xDSU) history. It wasn't always an atmosphere of 'hate' with negative leadership from the admin. Perhaps we can get over this part of our history also?

Key word here:

HISTORY

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Key word here:

HISTORY

I appreciate your point. You show a lot of insight in these posts.

I am remembering advice stating: "you really don't know where you are going if you don't know where you came from".

Peace.

UTH
11-18-2007, 04:50 AM
I appreciate your point. You show a lot of insight in these posts.

I am remembering advice stating: "you really don't know where you are going if you don't know where you came from".

Peace.

I agree that knowing history is important, especially when planning for the future. Personally, I am so sick of what that other relationship has become that it pains me to hear about any revival. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat? I'm damn proud that the xDSUs have the "Biggest rivalry in the Dakotas. You bet!!"

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2007, 04:56 AM
I agree that knowing history is important, especially when planning for the future. Personally, I am so sick of what that other relationship has become that it pains me to hear about any revival. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat? I'm damn proud that the xDSUs have the "Biggest rivalry in the Dakotas. You bet!!"

Yep. Follow that one also. So, how does the fan base of each of the xDSUs keep this game as the 'Biggest rivalry in the Dakotas" without moving to the negatives of the xND relationships?

UTH
11-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Yep. Follow that one also. So, how does the fan base of each of the xDSUs keep this game as the 'Biggest rivalry in the Dakotas" without moving to the negatives of the xND relationships?

Good question. I say it's good enough to be a loaded question.:hide:

DIBISON
11-18-2007, 05:23 AM

Bull S.... I've been to many of the in-state rivalry games and had a blast. But those are over, not only for the past 5 years, but a few more upcoming also. The rivalry is NDSU & SDSU. Move on, the future of the next 3-5 years holds great promise with the Bison and the Jacks!!

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 05:28 AM

I grew up watching UND. We also forget that we've been playing the Jacks for a really long time. What 50-60-70 years?

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Good question. I say it's good enough to be a loaded question.:hide:

Good observation, but loaded is not my intent (well loaded may be a different intent, but only to diffuse the pain). The SDSU rivalry has been in place for decades, but the Dakota DI rivalry has only been in place for 5 years. Competition breeds strength, but also brings issues. What needs to be done to keep old farts like myself from wanting to revert to the good old days and while keeping this competition away from the 'hate'?

Bison"FANatic"
11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
The thing I love about this rivalry is that it is more of a brotherly sibling rivalry. I HATE UND for $hitting on us and I will NEVER get over that. I wanted to win today, I cheered like hell and I congratulated their fans on the way out. As the guy (SDSU fan) sitting next to me said "We are joined at the hips and we have helped each other transition pretty smoothly through these years. Screw the UXD's!" And he couldn't be more true. There was true respect, not hatred out there today and thats why you enjoyed it more. You want to talk about respect amongst fans, let alone teams? After the game we piled into the Expedition and stopped at a nice little restaurant next door to KFC (it's kind of like a Culvers). Anyway, the SDSU QB was there with his wife and son eating aswell. He greeted Joe, told him that we were tougher than (and would beat) UNI and Joe congratulated him on the win. They talked for a while while the rest of us ate. Joe must have mentioned to him that his daughter was turning 3 tomorrow, because he went and got his son and brought him over to the table to wish Joi (Joe's daughter) a happy birthday and tell her that he'll be 3 in a couple months too. It was very cool to see a guy that just beat us AND just got his clocked cleaned by Joe several times today go out of his way to greet and talk with him and of course Joe was great to him as as well. Thanks for a great season and a great game today. I wouldn't change a thing about this year. GO BISON!

Well said B1son,

My wife and I had a good time sitting by you and your family. Sorry if the little guy learned a new word or two on that 4th down conversion by the jacks that went for a touchdown. I was not a happy camper. I was happy to have shared the thrill of the good and the agony of the bad with you yesterday!!!! Tell them boys that we appreciate everything they gave us when you have them in class on monday!

jimmyjack
11-18-2007, 03:07 PM
oh yeah.....you know where the fence was where other people were standing and watching? That is where those asshole bunny fans we standing and dancing like retards on the first downs. Well, the people infront of us just blew their horns right at them, threw some mama jokes at them and how they had sex with their cousins so it was all good. :rofl: I will say a lot of F bombs were thrown out because of the sh*t refereeing today

So... when SDSU fans get excited for their team, they're assholes. But it's OK for you to swear and make incest jokes. Who are the assholes again?

Luckily, I only had positive interactions with NDSU fans yesterday. I respect people who cheer for their team like most of the Bison fans did yesterday. I'm hoping our fans learned something about creating a good atmosphere from your fans. I noticed that as the game wore on, even the old-timers around me (section F, right on the 50-yard-line) were standing up on 3rd downs, anyway. And granted, many of them or quite elderly, so it's not like they can stand the whole game. Congrats to Bison fans (almost all of you, anyway) for being such great representatives of your state, your school, and your team.

TheDoctor
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Well said B1son,

My wife and I had a good time sitting by you and your family. Sorry if the little guy learned a new word or two on that 4th down conversion by the jacks that went for a touchdown. I was not a happy camper. I was happy to have shared the thrill of the good and the agony of the bad with you yesterday!!!! Tell them boys that we appreciate everything they gave us when you have them in class on monday!

I will tell them Fanatic. Thanks for the tickets and the conversation during the game. My wife (love her to death) was excited but didn't understand 90% of what was going on so I was trying to explain to her while watching the game (hence I was looking at the field and not her). So, when I was explaining no brainer things I was not trying to tell you those things as if I thought you didn't know them, I was explaining to her what ever it was that she asked about :rofl:. Hopefully we can do another game someday. ;)

P.S.- No worries! You never said any words he hasn't heard his father use during a football game before! :rofl:

aces1180
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
This will piss people of, but I could give a crap about this rivalry...I miss the UND games.

To me, this feels the same as playing SCSU or Mankato...Just my opinion I guess...Give it a few more years for me and maybe I will have more of a passion about this. I love Bison football with a passion and honestly, I could care less if they play Michigan or NDSCS...I just want them to win.

56BISON73
11-18-2007, 05:15 PM

Hmmm So Fans standing in front of YOU are idiots???? Think about that when you yourself are standing in front of other fans.:D :D PL

NDSUFREAK
11-18-2007, 05:35 PM
So... when SDSU fans get excited for their team, they're assholes. But it's OK for you to swear and make incest jokes. Who are the assholes again?

Luckily, I only had positive interactions with NDSU fans yesterday. I respect people who cheer for their team like most of the Bison fans did yesterday. I'm hoping our fans learned something about creating a good atmosphere from your fans. I noticed that as the game wore on, even the old-timers around me (section F, right on the 50-yard-line) were standing up on 3rd downs, anyway. And granted, many of them or quite elderly, so it's not like they can stand the whole game. Congrats to Bison fans (almost all of you, anyway) for being such great representatives of your state, your school, and your team.
the fact that the only reason they were there was to try and taunt us and get us angry made them that. they had no other reason to be there

NDSUFREAK
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Hmmm So Fans standing in front of YOU are idiots???? Think about that when you yourself are standing in front of other fans.:D :D PL
i should have worded it better because they weren't in the stands. they were on the ground infront of us.

UTH
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM

I REALLY feel the need to come to NDSUFREAK's defense here. His assessment of their motives is exactly what I was thinking. They would watch a play just long enough to see if it would go their way. Once they figured they had reason enough to celebrate, they would turn around, look at the east bleachers, and go WAAAAAAY out of their way to make a show of their 'greatness'. Somebody should have made a video of it. If I had remembered my camera, I would have. It was a pathetic show they made.

Having made that rant, I will go on the record and say that all other encounters with the blue and yellow have been good.

Mr. Burgundy
11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I had a full glass of water thrown on me at the bar on Friday night while having dinner with friends. That was nice. Stay Classy Brookings. A bunch of guys were chanting "here we go Bison....".....the next thing I know....I am soaked. I was real happy. He was with his girlfriend and looked like Doogie.

56BISON73
11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Even though we have been playing the Jacks for along time it has only become a psuedo rivalry as of late because of the transition and UND situation. In a couple of years the UND rivalry will be resumed. My only hope is the renewed rivalry be more healthy. There is nothing the matter with having TWO rivals!!! PL

roadwarrior
11-18-2007, 09:59 PM
There were easily more Bison fans in Brookings than EVER took the short drive up north to grand forks! The media really tried to knock this "contrived" rilvalry four years ago when the Dakota Marker was created. The last two games between the schools put to rest that argument.

Mr. Burgundy
11-18-2007, 10:03 PM
There were more Bison fans in Brookings this year than Sioux fans in Grand forks this weekend.

56BISON73
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
If it stands the test of time then great. It take more than 4 years IMO.
But heres a question IF the Bison werent going for an undefeated season AND the GW championship how many would have gone???? Lets say the Bison were 3-7 how many would have made the trip??? Think about it.
But As I said---there is nothing the matter with having two rivals.

Bison101
11-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, certainly it is clear that the team with the homefield advantage wins the Dakota Marker. Next year, we will have a shot at the Marker, a Gateway title, and a National Championship. Roehl, next year's team is on your shoulders.

Swaghook
11-18-2007, 10:19 PM
i should have worded it better because they weren't in the stands. they were on the ground infront of us.
I think you might have been near us in the stands. We had a couple younger guys(one brown hair the other red) and one older guy(wearing sunglasses that you would see a blind man wear) down on the ground in front of us making a$$es out of themselves. Behind us we had some NDSU students with horns one with a stripped suit on.

SUPERBUNNY
11-19-2007, 01:02 AM
I am really happy to see that the majority of Bison fans look at SDSU as their biggest rival. The majority of SDSU fans feel the same way.

I couldn't agree more that what makes it great is that at the end of the contest there is a mutual respect between the teams and the fans. We both have said goodbye to rivalries filled with hatred and disrespect and I can't say that I mis that.

I posted it in the thread below, but hats off to the Bison fans that came to SDSU Saturday. You showed your passion and a lot of class in cheering for your team! I look forward to continuing and growing this great rivalry!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11751

Cheers Bison!

SUPERBUNNY

NDSUFREAK
11-19-2007, 01:06 AM
I think you might have been near us in the stands. We had a couple younger guys(one brown hair the other red) and one older guy(wearing sunglasses that you would see a blind man wear) down on the ground in front of us making a$$es out of themselves. Behind us we had some NDSU students with horns one with a stripped suit on.
hahaha!! yeah, one was in a purple shirt or something with long brown hair. we had NDSU students that had the hard hat on and they (4 of them) all had horns.

"Why aren't you in the SDSU student section? They don't like you either?" :rofl:

UTH
11-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Even though we have been playing the Jacks for along time it has only become a psuedo rivalry as of late because of the transition and UND situation. In a couple of years the UND rivalry will be resumed. My only hope is the renewed rivalry be more healthy. There is nothing the matter with having TWO rivals!!! PL

Oh, dear God no, I hope not. The old rivalry was used up, stagnant, and unhealthy. On some years on game week, I would think to myself, "oh crap, 'they' are going to Fargo this week." When the game was up north, I would think, "oh crap, the game and after-party are in GF this week." I went to those games because the Bison were playing, NOT because of who the opponent was.

I went to Brookings this year to see the Bison play the Jackrabbits in a big game. It may have ended in a loss, but it was certainly worth the five-hour drive. I have no plans to ever miss that game again.

There is no doubt in this fan's mind that this rivalry is an upgrade from what once was.

HerdBot
11-19-2007, 02:12 PM

We will never play UND again. I'll be pissed if we play them again and we will sell out every game without them. NDSU/UND was important. NDSU used to have a rivalry game with Moorhead State but we moved on now it's the Power Bowl. NDSU has been playing SDSU since the 1920's so it's not like we don't have any history with them.

Herd Mentality
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
This rivalry ended up being a rivalry for one reason. The series is 2-2 since the Marker was brought into play. If NDSU was 4-0, then I don't think it would've developed so fast. The excitement will really increase when the home team finally loses a game in the series.

It's just too bad SDSU can never make a game of it in the FFD. :)

lakesbison
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
WHAT THE HECK!!!

SDSU GAME WAS INCREDIBLE!! GOPHER GAME WAS INCREDIBLE!!

SAM HOUSTON was INCREDIBLE. Next year with Northern Iowa & Youngstown & SDSU... my god... we are SET for many years WITHOUT UND!!

GET OVER IT PEOPLE!!!! WE HAVE MOVED ON, MAYBE YOU SHOULD!

GO BISON!! WAC in 2009!!!!

jimmyjack
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh, dear God no, I hope not. The old rivalry was used up, stagnant, and unhealthy.

That's exactly how we feel about our rivalry with USD. There was so much ugliness. USD fans actually broke into our locker rooms at the DakotaDump(TM) and crapped all over in our women's basketball team's showers the last time we played them there.

Can you imagine that?

TheDoctor
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
WOW! Now thats low! ;)

BisBison
11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
That's exactly how we feel about our rivalry with USD. There was so much ugliness. USD fans actually broke into our locker rooms at the DakotaDump(TM) and crapped all over in our women's basketball team's showers the last time we played them there.

Can you imagine that?

That's so U of them.

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
This rivalry ended up being a rivalry for one reason. The series is 2-2 since the Marker was brought into play. If NDSU was 4-0, then I don't think it would've developed so fast. The excitement will really increase when the home team finally loses a game in the series.

It's just too bad SDSU can never make a game of it in the FFD. :)

Were you at last year's game in the FFD, if that wasn't a game I don't what is. In fact, that game was decided by the same thing that last weekends was in Coughlin: A fabulous special teams play by the home team...

WYOBISONMAN
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I must say that in now way do I miss the UND rivalry. Maybe it will return, maybe it won't. But, with the great teams we are playing, the UND game is not at all missed by this Bison fan.